Coalstrike's Sorrow

By xxThistleThornxx

Since he was a kit, Coalstrike was happy. But things seemed to have gone down hill when he was an apprentice... More

Allegiances
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Allegiances (update)
Authors note
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Allegiances (update)

Chapter 7

7 0 0
By xxThistleThornxx

"Badgerpaw? What are you doing here?" Coalpaw asked, flabbergasted and puzzled to see his brother in the Dark Forest, of all places and talking to their grandfather.

Badgerpaw turned to him and smiled a little, though he could see the sadness in his eyes. The news of both of their parents death still pained him.

"Hi Coalpaw, have you been here before?"

Weaselflight grinned, "so nice of you to join us Coalpaw, your brother has decided to join us on our training. He says he needs help with his fighting skills".

Coalpaw still looked confused, "but Badgerpaw, I thought you were getting better at fighting. I saw how you were in that battle we were in, you were really good!"

"Yeah but I want to be better! I want to be the best warrior of Ashclan, and to make our parents proud" he whispered the last part.

Weaselflight smiled, "I like your spirit" he said and turned to Coalpaw, "what do you say, Coalpaw? Will you still train under me along with your brother and you both become the best warriors of Ashclan?"

Coalpaw began to ponder. Sure he enjoyed his time training along side Weaselflight, but he was aware that he was training in the Dark Forest and he wasn't sure if he wanted his brother to be in there.

"Don't you want to make your parents proud?" He heard Weaselflight say but there was a question he needed an answer from Badgerpaw.

"Badgerpaw, do you know who he is? How long have you been here?"

"He's our grandfather and I've known him for a couple of days" his brother said casually.

Coalpaw nodded, if Weaselflight has been visiting Badgerpaw then he must have been coming in at certain times or taking turns from train Coalpaw to Badgerpaw, it was quite confusing to him.

"Will you still train with Weaselflight along side me? We'll be the best warriors of Ashclan! Russetclaw will be smiling down at us!" Badgerpaw mewed happily while the dark forest cat grinned.

"You should know you're not the only one training under me, in fact there are other apprentices like you that are being trained by a few cats here who want to become the best warriors in their clan. You can become one of them, don't tell me you're backing down now that your brother has joined us" Weaselflight's voice became a low growl.

Coalpaw pondered again, it would be nice to train along side his brother and become the greatest warriors in their clan, Hazelpaw will be proud. he thought of his friend. Dad will be glad his kits aren't worthless, and mom...

"I'm still with you, why would I leave you hanging? What are we learning about today?" Coalpaw asked cooly which made Weaselflight grin and Badgerpaw leap with joy.

***

"Wake up Coalpaw! C'mon you need to focus!"

Coalpaw woke up from his daze feeling a little light headed and his legs wanting to give out. Now that Badgerpaw has joined him and Weaselflight, he spends more time in the Darkforest making him more sore from the extra training he does with his second mentor.

"Sorry Blizzardclaw, I haven't been able to sleep lately" he lied though Blizzardclaw huffed in annoyance, "listen Coalpaw, I know you're upset of your parents passing but you need to learn that this is what the life of a warrior is. You will be seeing more deaths and injured cats, I'm not saying this to scare you but to prepare yourself, and as a warrior you must stay strong and care for your clan. It's what your parents would have wanted" the grey and white tom explained to him to which Coalpaw nodded.

"I understand".

"Good, now let's go through the battle techniques I taught you".

Coalpaw internally groaned, his paws ached and his muscles were sore. He would do anything to have a good nap right now and besides, Weaselflight has already taught him half of the stuff Blizzardclaw is teaching him right now, so what was the point?

***

When returning to camp, Coalpaw was startled by a loud yowl coming from the center of the clearing.

"Help! My kits are gone! Oh dear Starclan, please help!" It was Tulipstep that was yelling in panic, Coalpaw looked up at his mentor and could see the fear and worry in his eyes.

"My kits are gone too!" Icetail appeared from the nursery. "What if a fox or a badger took them! What if it was Breezeclan?!" Tulipstep cried and Blizzardclaw immediately ran to his mate to comfort her.

In the distance, Coalpaw could see Lionstar appear from his den also looking in worry. He could also see Sparktail patting towards the leader and asking him something.

Suddenly, the deputy's expression change into something of alarm and turn around to face the cats that have gathered around the clearing of the commotion going on.

"All warriors and apprentices! Search around Ashclan for the missing kits of Tulipstep and Icetail!" She announced.

Coalpaw soon found himself searching different parts of his territory looking for the kits. He honestly wasn't surprised that they would come up with the idea of leaving the camp, let alone actually doing it. He remembers vaguely in his kithood he would imagine what it would be like to leave camp and explore the place alongside his brother and perhaps Hazelpaw and her sisters would join him.

But of course he was too afraid to actually do something like that knowing that Blackpool would have scolded him, Russetclaw especially would never come near him if he disobeyed the rules of kits staying in camp. Though he was impressed with these kits being brave enough to venture outside of camp, despite the consequences they will face later.

"Have you found their scent yet?" His brother asked, he looked as tired as he did, his eyes looking slightly droopy and every once in a while let out a yawn. Weaselflight trained them quite well, he just wishes he would have given him and Badgerpaw a break, after all, they also have training to do when they are awake.

"No, nothing yet," Coalpaw answered.

They continue looking around digging their noses in the dirt and searching around the area for any sign of the kits. They could be anywhere at this point since it has been awhile when they disappeared from camp, which started to give Coalpaw some thoughts that made him worry.

What if Breezeclan took them? Did they run into a fox and became their lunch? Did they fall into a river and are begging for someone to help them? More thoughts came into his mind that the kits could be in danger, though Dewkit and Frecklekit will soon be apprentices, they aren't familiar with any fighting moves, and Tulipstep's kits are only a few moons old and can barely defend themselves.

"Why don't you go search over there? It's better if we split up," Coalpaw said to his brother and pointed to an area that consists of bushes, the kits could be hiding in there.

Badgerpaw nodded, "alright" and left.

Coalpaw continued to search around the clearing, his ears pricked upwards and his nose buried in the grass; he eventually found himself near a river, his fur standing up at the sound of the river splashing near the ground.

"Help! Help us!"

"Don't worry! Just hang on!"

Coalpaw jolted his head up recognizing the voices. His eyes darting in different directions searching for the kits.

"Someone help!"

Coalpaw was now able to locate the voices and up ahead he saw Dewkit trying to help Mallowkit and Lilykit who were in the River flapping their paws in many directions and screaming for help.

"Don't worry I'm coming!" Coalpaw shouted at them and once he reached to the kits, he didn't hesitate to dive into the river to save Lilykit and Mallowkit. He tried his best to keep his head up in the water as he kicked his feet poorly, hating the feeling of the cold river dampening his fur.

"Be careful!" He heard Dewkit call out but he tried to stay focus on the two kits that needed to be saved.

He finally reached to the kits though he struggled to grab them, feeling the water splash in his face making him close his eyes, but he manage to rescue Mallowkit and carry her to the safety of the grass and Dewkit immediately running to her and cuddling her to keep her warm.

Coalpaw swam back to retrieve Lilykit but it became more of an obstacle when the small waves turned violent, making Coalpaw worry that he and the small kit will drown but he refused to give up.

Almost there... He kept telling himself as he kicked his feet hard enough and fight off the waves splashing on him to reach Lilykit.

"Help..." were Lilykit's last words until she could no longer squirm about in the water and she allowed her body to sink. "No!" Coalpaw cried and stuck his head underwater searching for the kit, his mouth wide open ready to grab her and carry her to safety.

He felt like he been searching for hours until he felt something soft and furry but also wet meet his mouth and he saw it was Lilykit and immediately pulled on her scruff tightly and brought the two of them to the surface where he laid her down gently next to her sister who was now asleep, atleast Coalpaw hoped she was sleeping.

"We must return to camp now!" He said between coughs and shook his body in many directions to get the remaining water off him.

"Help me carry one of the kits," Coalpaw ordered Dewkit who went over to Mallowkit and picked her up gently by the scruff, Coalpaw did the same with Lilykit and the two trotted off to camp.

While returning to camp, they were met up with Hazelpaw and Juniperpaw who found Frecklekit and Petalkit who all looked in horror at the sight of the two kits that were drenched, including Coalpaw.

"Oh dear Starclan! What happened?" Hazelpaw shrieked, looking worryingly at the two kits that barely moved.

"I found them in the river, we need to take them to Honeysong immediately!" Coalpaw replied in a panicked tone.

"I'll carry Mallowkit," Juniperpaw said and Dewkit handed the kit to the apprentice.

"Will they be okay? What'll happen to them?" Petalkit asked innocently and worried for her sisters.

"We don't know, but hopefully Honeysong and Seapaw will help them. Come on, let's not stall!" Hazelpaw mewed and dashed off with everyone else following behind her.

***

"Oh my kits!" Tulipstep was filled with distress as she saw her kits being taken to the medicine den, Blizzardclaw tried to comfort her that their kits will be alright but she shook her head and dashed off into the medicine den.

"How did this happen?" Badgerpaw asked, turning to Dewkit who looked scared.

"I- we wanted to go avenge our dad so we snuck out of camp to go look for Breezeclan, but we also decided to split up" the kit answered nervously, tucking his tail between his legs.

"Did you really think that a couple of kits like you, especially Tulipstep's kits who are barely three moons old, would try to take down a group of full grown cats that have already killed two of our warriors?" Blizzardclaw tried his best not to yell at the small kit who shivered at his tone of voice, but he spoke up, "I'm almost an apprentice and I practice fighting with Frecklekit".

"That's nothing, you're still a kit and you know the rules about kits being forbidden from leaving camp, it's dangerous out there" Badgerpaw scolded him.

"I just wanted my dad to be at peace, I barely got to know him..." Dewkit's head was lowered and there looked to be tears in his eyes.

Both Blizzardclaw and Badgerpaw seem to have sympathy for the kit and Badgerpaw cleared his throat, "look Dewkit, I know you miss Branchfur, I lost my mother in the battle, and yes I am angry that some Breezeclan cat took her life, but this is not the way to solve it. Revenge isn't going to do anything it'll only cause more problems".

"Badgerpaw's right, besides, Branchfur was very brave fighting off those cats but he rests in Starclan now, so there's no need for revenge" the grey warrior said.

Dewkit let out a sigh, "okay..."

Blizzardclaw's face changes to relief, "good, now you should probably go to your mother, she's worried about you and your sister".

"Okay" was all Dewkit said scurried off into the nursery where Icetail was, cleaning Frecklekit and will soon move to Dewkit.

***

"Will my kits be okay? Please tell me Honeysong!" Tulipstep asked in a fearful voice.

"They should be alright but I want them to eat these" the medicine cat pulled out some white flowers, "it's yarrow, they have a lot of water in their bellies and if they eat this, the water will come out" she instructed.

"Seapaw, will you help me feed this to one of the kits?" She turned to her apprentice. "Of course!" Seapaw replied and took some of the yarrow and fed it to Mallowkit, while Honeysong fed the yarrow to Lilykit.

"You're lucky they're still breathing, with their tiny legs and the fact they don't know how to swim, they would have been dead by now if you didn't step in" Honeysong said, looking at Coalpaw.

Coalpaw smiled, feeling a sense of pride that he saved someone, "it's no problem, I was only doing what my gut told me to do".

"That's a relief they're okay," Hazelpaw said.

Suddenly they heard what sounded like gagging and they all turned to see the two kits spitting water out of their mouths.

"Oh my poor babies..." Tulipstep mewed pitifully at her two kits and started licking them.

"They should be okay now, all they need now is to rest" Honeysong replied.

"Can I stay with them?" The queen asked, Honeysong nodded.

"Thank you".

"The rest of you can leave, the kits are fine" Honeysong turned to Coalpaw, Hazelpaw and Juniperpaw.

"What about me?" Petalkit asked.

Tulipstep lifted her, "come here Sweetie, you can keep your sisters company with me". The little kit immediately scurried off to her mother and sisters and curled up tightly with them.

"Welp that's my cue to leave, c'mon guys" Hazelpaw said, nudging Coalpaw's shoulder and the three apprentices headed out to see Lionstar standing on top of High Log calling for a clan meeting.

"Oh boy, sounds like a punishment" Juniperpaw said, referring to what Dewkit and Frecklekit did.

"Hopefully it won't be too harsh" Coalpaw stated though Hazelpaw scoffed, "I'm pretty sure it's just going to be about cleaning the elders den or something, Lionstar isn't usually harsh with punishments".

"Well, let's go find out," and they all went into the clearing where they met Badgerpaw and a few other cats.

Lionstar looked down upon the cats that have joined below him, his amber eyes piercing towards the nursery where Icetail and her kits were in.

The leader cleared his throat, "Dewkit, Frecklekit, step forward" his voice boomed making a few cats shiver and cower. Lionstar was known to be strict and serious when a rule is broken or something bad happens, but his punishments are usually fair.

Icetail poked her head out of the nursery and nudged her two kits outside, the two looking scared and nervous of what their punishment will be.

Once the two kits were now in the middle of the clearing, a crowd of cats staring down on them, including Lionstar and Sparktail.

"You two should have known better than leave camp, especially with three kits that are still very young. You're lucky they're alive," Lionstar yowled, Dewkit and Frecklekit shivered at the tone of his voice.

"Explain yourselves!" Sparktail screeched at them, lashing a paw out at them but Lionstar swished his tail at her to stay calm.

"W-we" Dewkit couldn't finish his sentence. "We wanted to avenge our dad, those Breezeclan cats had no right to kill our father. We wanted revenge!" Frecklekit finished her brother's sentence with confidence.

Lionstar eyed the two kits, his anger turning into curiosity. "I understand you're upset of Branchfur's death, but there's nothing you could have done by entering Breezeclan, it's a suicide in fact, considering you're not apprentices or know any fighting skills. You're quite foolish and unthinkable kits" the golden leader meowed.

Both Dewkit and Frecklekit lowered their heads in shame. "We're sorry" they said in unison.

Lionstar only let out a huff, "I'm glad you learned your lesson but you still have to deal with the consequences of your actions".

The two kits nodded their heads, understanding that they must faced their punishment.

"Dewkit and Frecklekit, you will both be helping the elders such as picking ticks and fleas and also giving them new moss bedding for a moon" the leader declares.

"What about Lilykit, Mallowkit, and Petalkit?" Dewkit asked, curious what will happen to Tulipstep's kits.

"My question is, did you tell them to join you?" Lionstar questioned, his voice returning to a serious tone.

"W-we did, we figured we needed their help. But they wanted to join us" Frecklekit said, her paws fidgeting in the ground due to nervousness.

Lionstar raised a brow, contemplating for awhile until he answered, "Tulipstep's kits didn't know any better and you were the ones responsible for them being in danger especially since you all split up".

"Why did you split up in the first place?" Sparktail suddenly asked.

"We thought it be a better way to attack them since we hear about the warriors saying the best way of fighting is to split up" Dewkit said, the confidence in his voice appearing.

"Still it gives you no excuse if what you did, Mallowkit and Lilykit would have been dead if Coalpaw didn't step in to save them. You should be ashamed of yourselves for thinking that a few little kits could take upon full grown cats that have killed two of our warriors, one of them being your father." That last sentence Lionstar said felt like a thorn stabbed in their heart, thinking about Branchfur and his life taken too quickly.

"This is going on long enough, the punishment has already been said, why can't we just end the meeting now? The kits learned their lesson!" Hazelpaw whispered, Coalpaw being able to hear her, "be patient, I think they're almost done" he whispered back to her.

Lionstar sat up straight on his long and cleared his throat, "this meeting is over, You May all return to whatever you were doing" he turned to gaze at the two kits, "and you better go to the elders den".

Dewkit and Frecklekit only nodded and left to the elders den.

"I told you they were almost done," Coalpaw smirked at Hazelpaw who only rolled her eyes playfully and walked off. Coalpaw was about to follow her until he heard someone call his name.

He turned around and saw Blizzardclaw walking up to him, the look of great fullness in his eyes. "Coalpaw, I want to thank you for saving my daughters. If it weren't for you, they both would of been dead".

Coalpaw smiled at his mentor, feeling a sense of pride and gratitude knowing he did something good and very brave since the cats of Ashclan can't swim, not like the cats in Frostclan who are experienced swimmers.

"It's no problem, I was only doing the right thing" the young apprentice answered. The grey warrior chuckled.

"You'll become a great warrior some day".

***

Woooo!!! The seventh chapter is up! A little bit of action went on, hopefully it wasn't boring. Also I got some good news! I'm thinking about turning this into a comic! I'm thinking of making an insta account and posting the comics on there. Right now I just need to draw the allegiances of the characters (and I mean all the characters here including the ones from the other clans) but I'll let you know when the comic will be ready. Okay I'll stop talking, bye!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

395K 14.4K 100
He had enough. They didn't appreciate him. He tried so many times to explain to them why he did it. They wouldn't believe him. So why should he keep...
454 31 27
A couple moons have passed.. After Silvermoon got away from Blackfeather, she continues life as before. Yet, she still only feels safe in camp. She...
10.8K 438 24
He had lived every day as the one before. One after the last the days blurred together. He wanted nothing more than to find something to live for. To...
3.3K 76 6
I don't really have a good description for this one, as a matter of fact I never have good descriptions... So uh, I hope you all enjoy! All of the id...