His Hope [Zayn][Completed]

By shaerzam

High profile sexy playboy Zayn St. James doesn't do committed relationships. He uses his notorious good looks... More

His Hope-UPDATE
Cast of Characters
Prologue
Chapter 1-Hope
Chpater 2-Feisty
Chapter 3-Run and Hide
Chapter 4- Pretty Woman
Chapter 5-Natasha
Chapter 6- Ugly Duckling
Chapter 7- Champagne
Chapter 8-Fur and Silk
Chapter 9-To Firsts
Chapter 10-C's & F's
Chapter 11-Aquamarine
Chapter 12-The Bed & Breakfast
Chapter 13- Erotic
Chapter 14-Happy Birthday
Chapter 15-Chanel
Chapter 16-More
Chapter 17- The Snake
Chapter 18-Lost & Found
Chapter 19-Love
Chapter 20-The Mark
Chapter 21-King Kong
Chapter 22-The Manor
Chapter 23-Jane
Chapter 24-The fool
Chapter 25-Lily
Chapter 26-Hercules
Chapter 27-Double-cross
Chapter 28-Louboutin's
Chapter 29-First & Last
Chapter 30-Different
Chapter 31-Remember

Epilogue- Forever After

2.4K 154 76
By shaerzam

It all felt like a dream.

Snippets of conversations held in low murmurs.

The beeping monitors.

The smell of latex.

It was impossible to tell how much time had passed. . .

Days.

Weeks.

Months.

Hope had not dreamt of anything under sedation except she heard voices.

Not aware to comprehend who the voice belonged to, she received the sense it was Zayn. His caring tone, his soft touch. His firm kisses to her hands and face.

He would talk to her.

It was low and soothing, sometimes desperate. Other times it was gentle mixed with a hint of protectiveness.

It was his voice, his persistence, that urging tone of his in which she found strength to finally manage to break out of the heaviness that kept her under.

When the scent of antiseptics and plastic filled her nose she instantly understood where she was.

A hospital. It triggered her heart rate to accelerate and her fear to take over her. She began to panic.
The monitors went off erratically. She tried to scream but her limbs were heavy as if she was restrained, her body unconsciously lifting from the bed.

The tube in her throat hurt. She couldn't breathe. She couldn't speak.

Someone yells.

She wanted to get up.

She needed help.

She needed to be freed.

That same voice yells once more.

Moments later she was surrounded by nurses and doctors.

They spoke quickly, but Hope could not concentrate on what they said, continuing to panic.

Hope's eyelids began to get heavy. She fought to keep them open but failed. Before she knew it she was unconscious again.

*****

Bright lights overhead.

Hope blinked several times to clear her vision.

There was no longer a tube in her throat. However, It was sore and dry. She was parched.

Two nurses in blue scrubs came into view.

"Hello there Hope. How are you feeling?"

Hope frowned, turning her head to the side to the nurse who spoke.

Trying to speak, nothing came out. The muscles of her throat extremely sore.

"You may feel uncomfortable after the breathing tube has been removed. Just try to blink if you understand us, Hope."

The other nurse to her left spoke. She turned her head slightly.

She wanted to tell them her name was not Hope but she was unable to speak.

Monitors were still beeping. She was still attached to wires.

Her sluggish mind finally realized she was still in the hospital. She wanted to leave. She had to get up. She despised hospitals.

Thrashing, she tried to sit. With little strength and sore muscles, she clawed at the needles in her arms.

"Hope, calm down!"

She screamed, crying in agony, still thrashing, hyperventilating.

The nurses surrounding her moved quickly into action, restraining her. A doctor approached holding a needle.

She screamed the word No, her throat harsh. That was all she could manage.

Before she knew it, she stopped fighting them, her tense muscles relaxed and she calmed down, eventually passing out again.

When she finally woke, she felt completely relaxed, light as a feather.

Her eyes scanned her surroundings slowly as if hypnotized. It wasn't a cramped, dark room. It was private with cream walls and a flat screen TV mounted opposite her. There were tall vases of flowers.

"Are you feeling better, sweetie?"

One of the nurses she recognized from earlier approached her side.

She nodded.

"Good, we're glad." She says, patting her arm gently. "Are you in any pain?"

She shook her head No.

There was no pain but she felt sore everywhere and her skin felt as though it was stretched too tight.

"We gave you a little something to relieve your anxiety and discomfort." She reassured her. "You must be hungry. Why don't I order you something?"

Hope could only nod in agreement.

"My name is Ashley, if you need anything else. I'll contact the cafeteria right away and have a light meal brought up."

She needed water to help moisturize her mouth and throat more than food. But she could not say the words. Lifting her arm out the nurse stopped before turning away.

She gestured to her throat and opened her dry mouth.

The nurse quickly figured out what she needed.

"Water." She answered for her.

Hope nodded in relief. The nurse turned around and went to grab a pitcher and a cup.

Adjusting the hospital bed, she helped her drink. Some water escaped her lips and passed her chin. The nurse quickly dabbed the excess.

"Is that better?"

Hope nods her thanks.

How long had she been in the hospital, she thought?

Where was Zayn?

"I will be right back." The nurse said with a smile.

"Hope."

Turning her head to the sound of his voice. His hair was disheveled, dark circles under his eyes. He appeared to not have shaved for quite some time.

In a few long strides he was at her side, grasping her hand and pressing it to his lips.

"God, I've missed you."

She hesitated, seemingly torn as she gazed at him as a lone tear escaping the side of her face.

"I–"

It was difficult to speak, swallowing heavily. It took great effort to speak. In frustration, she shakes her head trying to concentrate.

"Zayn. . ." It was barely a whisper. Her voice sounded hoarse and raw.

"Shhh, you do not have to say a word, just rest. All that matters is that you're back."

Closing her eyes she tries again.

"I remember." She managed to whisper more clearly.

A sob escaped her as something inside her broke.

Their eyes locked and understanding leapt in his eyes.

"What do you remember?" He asks slowly, his eyes never leaving hers.

She never believed she'd have some of her memories back. The doctors once told her it was impossible. But the nightmares she encountered vividly were true, not a fabrication of her fears.

However, her memories were limited. She knew exactly who she was and where she came from. As much as she tried, she could not remember any events before the time she was captured and tortured. But everything beyond that point was clear.

It was like she was given a small window as a link. However little, it was enough.

Colin lied and so did Jack. She was not the prostitute they claimed. She had a family, a home. Her past was not polished, she was still a horrible, selfish person who did horrible things. . .hurting people, playing victim to events she caused.

As much as she wished to remember, now she wished she never had.

Sometimes Ignorance was bliss.

"I–I. . ." She takes a deep breath and swallows, trying again. Whispering felt easier than speaking out loud.
"I remember. . .what happened. . .to me."

I am worse than what Hope ever was.

Did she dare tell him? Where did she start?

Zayn cradled her cheeks in his hands when she looked away from him.

"Not now. I can see how difficult it is for you to speak. You can tell me when you're feeling better."

Her mouth still feels dry.

"I need water." She requested.

Once he poured her a cup, assisting her as she drank, he helped her make room for him so he could share the bed.

Hope slept soundly in his arms that night;her hand curled against his chest as he lay beside her on the hospital bed. Her head rested in the hollow of his shoulder while she breathed in and out.

Hope's lashes flickered against his neck as she opened her eyes to the bright sun shining through the room.

"Zayn. . ."

"I'm right here. How are you feeling?"

"Better."

Her voice sounded better.

"I believed I almost lost you." He said while rubbing her back.

His tender words nearly broke her heart. He deserved only happiness, but unfortunately fate had cast them into roles they did not choose.

Her entire life was one lie after the other.

The dreams inside her shriveled and died like a plant without water. It was right there in front of her: a new beginning, happiness . . .a golden second chance not many had a chance to experience.

Where did she start?

"Zayn." She breathed as tears filled her eyes.

It was now or never.

"Shhh, don't cry love." Tenderly he wiped the tears spilling down her cheeks. "What's upset you?"

His hand slid into her hair and eased through the tangles, rocking her as her tears gradually subsided.

Hope turned toward the soft knock at the door. Zayn pulled away reluctantly, stroking her face once more before turning to meet the newcomers.

Jasmine walked in smiling at seeing her sitting up in bed.

She smiled back weakly.

Then Cristiano walked a few paces behind her.

Her lips parted as her heart leapt in anticipation.

For a moment, Hope was too stunned to speak, apprehension flashing across her features.

She didn't know what to say to them or what she expected.

Before she realized she spoke, she automatically blurted out the name she called him when they were children.

"Cris?"

Her eyes skidded over his frame and glimpsed the faint narrowing of his dark gaze as it swept over her features.

His silence was ominous, filling the room until she felt like screaming for him to break it.

When he did, she almost wished he hadn't, for it confirmed this was not a nightmare or bad dream. This was real.

"Sofia." Her brother confirmed.

She turned pale, goosebumps erupting all over her body at the sound of her name passing his lips.

He knew.

Cristiano approached the other side of the bed, bent over her and placed a firm kiss on her forehead.

Jasmine's jaw dropped, stunned by the revelation, looking between them back and forth.

Beside her, Zayn stiffened. She sensed his intense stare, searching, roaming over her trying to understand.

"Oh my God." Jasmine whispered.

Zayn did not utter a word, his entire body tensing like a block of ice.

"How . . .How did you know?" Her heartbeat increased. She blinked away the tears burning her eyes to focus on her brother.

Everything about her exterior had changed. Plastic surgery had her looking nothing like her old self. How did he figure it out?

Something flickered in her brother's eyes as he studied her. Even to this day, he still manages to frighten her.

His features had not changed one bit but there was a different energy about him. Just beneath the surface, something was different, she could sense it.

"The tattoo. When I administered CPR and gave you breath, the inside of your bottom lip held the tattooed royal initials. The initials are now faint and blurred but I could make them out because they are identical to the ones I have tattooed inside my lower lip."

Jasmine closed her eyes. Meanwhile Zayn stood immobilized, fists clenched, the tension in his strong muscular shoulders tight.

Cristiano remained unmoving at her bedside, folding his arms firmly across his chest.

"Another clue was your eyes when I first met you upon your arrival. Sofia had the same identical color of eyes. I had never seen another with the same shade of blue except our mothers. The story in which Zayn found you and the circumstances concerning your past. The timetable began adding up. I however, did not utter a word of my suspicion to anyone. I was not certain until the tattoos. And now this. . ." Gesturing between them. "It has been confirmed."

Sofia stared in mesmerized fascination at her brother.

"I made sure only the best doctors cared for you from surgery to recovery. I waited, biding my time, watching over you. You are a Russo. I was confident you would survive this."

"I am so glad you are alive. All this time we believed you had died." Jasmine finally spoke, tears of joy balancing at the edge of her eyes. "I'm so happy. You're my sister now in more ways than one."

Sofia held her arms out to her. Jasmine quickly embraced, her grip firm. Sofia kisses Jasmine's cheek in a gesture of love, their tears mingling as they hold one another.

"I know this is a shock. I do not know where to begin but to say thank you for accepting me as I am." Sofia whispered. "I am so sorry for the trouble I caused you."

Jasmine shakes her head. "It's all in the past now. All that matters is you're back. Besides, I need to thank you. You stood in the way to save me." Jasmine said. "What you did was very brave and selfless and I will never forget it. I'm in your debt."

Sofia wiped the remaining tears from her cheeks and shook her head. "You owe me nothing."

"During the weeks you were in coma, I took a few matters into my own hands to find out more about how you were found alive." Cristiano supplied. "Jack and Colin were thoroughly interrogated and tortured. I needed more information regarding their involvement. Close contacts of mine back in England made sure to provide me with what I required."

She never took her eyes off her brother. "But they were already interrogated. . ."

Cristiano shakes his head. "Not by the people I know. The police reports and news coverage regarding your body being found in a dumpster were fabricated. The woman who shot you, Vivian, was a known criminal. She was involved with Mateo and his illegal dealings. She was also linked to Jack and Colin."

Every hair on Sofia's body stood on end as her entire body erupted in goosebumps.

"Her job was to dispose of your body." He continued. "However, she had an agenda. Instead, she transferred your body to Jack in order to replace Colin's wife so she could extract her revenge against the St. James' family to avenge her son Humprehy."

She didn't expect any less of him. Her brother was a very determined, controlling man when he needed to be and he always did what he wanted without a single soul knowing how, what, or when he did it.

"One fine detail still remains. Now that your memories have returned, you must tell me exactly what happened after I sent you to the treatment facility." Cristiano demanded.

"I remember vividly."

She heard the ragged pain in her tone, but it was nothing compared to the anguish savaging her soul.

"Do not leave a single detail out." Cristiano demanded.

Taking a deep breath, she began retelling the incident, the nightmare that cost her years of her life.

Sofia sat on the only chair all alone in the small room, stroking her belly which was slowly showing.

Her baby.

She smiles to herself. Her baby. She couldn't wait to see him or her.

She thought of him, her lover, Mateo, the father of her unborn baby. He promised he would free her of the facility as soon as he was free to do so.

He promised, her conscience assured her. He'd never forget her.

"He will come back for us." Reassuring herself and the baby.

She thought back to the time she met Zayn and the lie she set upon him unleashing her brother, Cristiano's wrath. Guilt and shame filled her. He was such a tender, kind-hearted man who did not deserve what she did–revealing to Cristiano that fatal night as she thought to take her life because she was pregnant with his child.

Lying, she loved him and he discarded her once he took her virginity. When she found out she was pregnant with Mateo's child and attempting to take her life to spare her family's reputation, Zayn was the only one who could save them.

What she did was cruel. Zayn did not deserve it. He was nothing but tender and caring toward her.

She knew Cristiano would make him pay.

But her lie spared Mateo's life. If Cristiano found out she and Mateo were lovers, Mateo would be surely dead and she would be alone, losing the love of her life and possibly her baby.

She knew the pain and void of growing up without parents. It left an empty hole which nothing could ever fill.

It was the only way. She could only pray Cristiano would not severely harm Zayn.

It would only buy them time to make their escape before (the truth was found out) Cristiano found out the truth. She and Mateo would flee the country to a far away place never to be found.

And now she waited, anxiously, patiently, for the time to come.

Gunshots roused her awake with a gasp. Clutching her chest in desperation Sofia slipped her legs over the bed and stood.

More gun shots and brief screams told her people were being killed.

Although it was dark, she stepped back from the door, both hands over her mouth.

She was terrified, breathing heavily, cupping her swelling belly desperately. Her heart beat so hard it sounded as though it was going to burst from her chest.

Heavy booted footfalls could be heard against the hardwood floors of the hallways. Two males voices were heard shouting as if they were searching rooms.

What was happening?

What should she do?

Hide.

Whipping her head right then left, she searched for a place to hide. But the room was bare except for a table, chair and a bed. There was a slim closet against the far side of the wall she could fit into.

Sofia fumbled her way to the closet, in the dark, hoping to hide and remain silent just in case whoever it was searched her room. Silently, she crept into her hiding place. Her heart raced. Her hand shook madly and prayed she would not be killed.

The voices were coming closer.

More shots. More screams.

She feared for the life of her unborn child beneath her fluttering heart as she covered her ears trying to block out the horror pulsing through the walls.

She was panting too heavily. Her heart was beating much too fast.

Quietly sobbing, tears ran down her cheeks.

Mateo, where are you! Her heart screamed.

Shuffling sounds halted outside her room.

Sofia held her breath, afraid they might hear the whisper of air passing in and out of her lungs.

She dared a slow breath, praying they would leave, that they wouldn't bother checking the closet.

Strong arms grabbed her around the waist. Sofia struggled as she was dragged out of the closet. She was half dragged, half carried down the dimly lit hall.

The rope binding her wrists cut into Sofia's flesh. The gag in her mouth tasted like sweat and tobacco.

Fear curled her stomach. She prayed Mateo would come for her.

As the men carrying her reached a trail, she spotted a building ahead with many of windows. Leaves and branches slapped at her face as they pushed through a trail, walking rapidly down the narrow, nearly invisible path.

Behind the gag, her mouth was cotton dry.

The men increased their pace, eager to reach their destination. The next hint she knew she was being carried inside the building and dumped onto a lone chair in what appeared to be an empty warehouse.

A guard stood inside the door and another, big and powerfully built, stood inside.

Sofia swallowed past the lump of fear as another approached her. She could not make out his face in the shadows. The man motioned for the guard who carried her inside to untie the gag.

Even after the gag was removed, her mouth felt bone-dry.

It was cold.

"W-who are you? And why have you brought me here?" She asked the man who must be their leader.

The shadowed man eyed her coldly and motioned to his men.

Sofia's heart raced as the guard jerked her up off the chair, lifted her into his arms and strode off down the hall. She struggled against his hold, but with her arms bound behind her and her ankles tied, there wasn't much she could do without jeopardizing her life or that of her unborn child's.

A door opened of what appeared to be a room, and the guard strode in and tossed her onto the floor in a dark corner. Standing in the doorway, one of the men pulled a knife from the sheath at his waist. Sofia tried to scoot backward away from the blade, but the man just laughed. Reaching down, he cut the bindings on her ankles, turned her around and freed her wrists.

Mateo, her heart called.

Nausea rolled through her as fresh tears washed down her face. Sofia tried not to think of what was going to happen to her.

He'll come for us, she told herself, stroking her belly. She trusted Mateo to protect her, trusted him more than any man she had ever known. Even more so than Cristiano.

The gag was taken out of her mouth and her cuffed wrists were set free.

She didn't know who took her or where she was. It was too dark to see. Tears burned her eyes;a knot lodged in her throat. She was unable to see as she took a small step forward and nearly staggered.

From the sounds of her shuffling it sounded as though she was indoors. But where? She couldn't remember a thing. Her brain was foggy and her senses were disoriented.

It was deathly cold and the thin garment of a dress she wore didn't help ward off the chill seeping through her skin.

"W-who's there?" She called out.

Goosebumps broke out on her chilled flesh. It was too quiet. As if an impending doom was upon her.

She stood there motionless as she tried to decipher which way to go. Was she even alone? But she didn't hear any movement. The silence was more terrifying than not being able to see.

The only thing she could hear was the pounding of her heart and her noisy breathing.

A fist slammed into her ribcage.

Shocked, she fell against a wall, wheezing as her legs gave out.

She couldn't breath from the impact, her teeth clenched together.

Another punch to her face.

Then another to her stomach.

She fell to her side, groaning in agony. Lights exploded behind her eyes from the pain.

There wasn't a moment for her to recover when a hand snagged her hair.

She screamed.

With all the pain she was in, she clawed at it and jerked roughly to the side as she tried to force the hand to release her. But her arm was pinned awkwardly behind her back. Her head was pulled back and bent her neck at an unnatural angle.

Her head was raised and slammed into the hard concrete. Stars burst before her eyes; she could feel the hair ripping from her scalp.

Her eyes burned, feeling hair ripping from her scalp as she was forced to stand on her knees.

She was suddenly released.

Her knees and palms stung as they slapped the floor.

Tears were streaming free down her cheeks as she cried loudly. The pain was unbearable in her stomach and face. She tried to get back on her feet. She desperately struggled to get up but her feet wouldn't cooperate with her mind. Her body shook and her muscles trembled.

More tears poured down her face and throat.

She tripped and fell, and was dragged before she was able to gain her footing.

Her entire body throbbed as blood seeped from her mouth.

She gagged, choked, sputtered and finally vomited, but nothing came out but thick blood.

Why was this happening to her?

What had she done to deserve this?

Why was she being punished?

She was drained of energy and life. She could barely move. It was impossible to get up from the hard cold floor. Someone stood over her. She couldn't see them but sensed them.

Resisting the blackness, fighting to stay alive by a thread, it was slipping–nothing to hold on to. She couldn't feel her arms, couldn't move one finger, her body deadened from the neck down.

She was kicked in her middle once more and immediately curled into a ball of agony as she fought against the violence inflicted on her body.

"Nooooooo!"

She didn't care who captured her or what they did to her; all she wanted was to be free. One way or another, dead or alive, she wanted to be free of this nightmare.

"P-pleeease." She panted. "P-p-please s-st-t-op."

She didn't know why she pleaded. She was too weak not to.

Just when she thought she couldn't take anymore, and her entire body was being crushed beneath the torment engulfing her, a knife stabbed her stomach then her back, repeatedly sinking into her flesh, not allowing her to recover for even a second.

It felt like she was being stabbed by multiple people all over her back, front, legs, arms. . .

Whoever was killing her was remorseless. Sadistic.

Flames of heat licked through her veins. Her breaths came out in rapid pants as her throat swelled. Every bone in her body felt broken. Pain laced every recess of her body. Her insides burned.

Her heart hammered painfully in her chest. She was losing a lot of blood. It stammered, and then leapt into flow blown panic as fingers wrapped around her throat choking the life from her.

Sobs stuck in her chest; fresh anguish twisted through her body.

This was her end. She was dying.

Still struggling, her heart started to beat in a sluggish rhythm. It ached to work to pump blood through her body as it leaked through her open wounds.

Her tears were cold against her already icy flesh. Sweat poured from her body, coated her skin and plastered the dress against her. Her entire body was numb with torturous pain. She laid in a pool of her own blood, her body convulsing erratically.

Painfully so, she sobbed silently, moans of agony muffled in her throat.

Suddenly, hands seized hold of her and roughly lifted her. Nausea swamped her despite her pain. A groan escaped her as they hauled her forward, dragging her limp body. Her head spun as her legs were dragged behind her, the blood seeping from her skin creating a slick surface.

She listened as the doors opened and closed.

Voices. She heard voices.

But she couldn't understand a word.

She couldn't see, her eyes swollen shut from the blows to her face, the fluorescent lights on the ceiling burning through her closed eyes. The cool air chilled the blood coating her body.

Heavy footsteps echoed off the walls. They weren't hers.

Blood spilled passed her lips as she coughed, choking on her blood.

It wasn't much longer. It was a slow agonizing death. Excruciating.

I don't want to die, she thought.

Despite the fog and the dull sounds bouncing off her eardrums, she heard what was said clearly, just before she lost the fight to stay alive.

"Dispose of her."

Before she sucked in her last breath of air and before everything faded to black she recognized the voice of her lover.

Mateo.

She blinked as she came out of her reverie and shook her head. "I could never remember who it was that was behind the attack until my memories returned."

"I cannot imagine, and I do not want to imagine your pain. I am unbelievably sorry." Jasmine said, squeezing her hand.

Zayn ran a hand over his face, exhaling loudly.

"What happened to him?" Sofia inquired, unable to utter his name.

Her brother knew exactly who she referred to.

"Dead." Cristiano dismissed with lethal softness. "Anyone who attempts to injure my wife, children and you will meet the same fate."

"I lost my unborn child." Sofia bit her lip; her head bowed beneath the despair crushing her.

He felt as if he'd been punched as he stared at her. He had nearly forgotten.

Zyan could not help but go back in time to the events of their meeting. It was so vivid in his memory he could never forget the moment she confessed her pregnancy to him when he met her.

. . ."I'm pregnant." She whispers.

"I was drinking myself to death because I'm pregnant and if my brother found out, he'd kill me or worse, kill the father of my child. In my country, it's frowned upon when a child is born out of wedlock. . ."

"You lost more than your unborn child no thanks to that spineless, traitorous bastard." Cristiano snarled, his eyes spitting dark fury. "I nearly lost my wife and the twins!"

"Yes." She agreed. "I lost you, my only family. I betrayed the love of my life." She turns to Zayn. "More than once. . ."

It was time to finally face the man she loved as Sofia and Hope. She waited until he noticed she was speaking to him.

"We'll leave you two alone to speak for a bit." Jasmine announced, grabbing Cristiano's hand and walking out. "We'll be right outside if you need us."

"Thank you." Sofia answered without looking away from Zayn.

Zayn finally met her eyes head-on as if seeing her for the first time.

"I'm Sofia Russo." She introduces herself with a welcoming smile.

Zayn frowned and shook his head again, focusing on her eyes. He found her arm bent and outstretched. He quickly snatches it and brings it to his lips, placing a soft kiss to her knuckles.

"Zayn St. James." Turning his full charm on. "The pleasure is all entirely mine, if I don't say so myself. . ." He murmured more to himself than to her, scanning her from head to toe with his eyes once more.

Sofia giggles and ducks her head. "What a charmer you are, Zayn St. James. You are the most handsome man I've ever seen in all my life."

He quirked an eyebrow, looking up from her cleavage with a triumphant smile. She was bold. He liked that.

"And you my dear, are sexy as hell. May I buy you a drink?" He asks huskily, his eyes became hooded feeling his body heat.

"Ohhhh, a gentleman too. I would very much like that."

His body froze as her eyes clashed with his. Zayn could barely hear her over the rush of blood past his ears.

"Once upon a time I was a foolish girl who thought with her heart and ignored her mind. I believed I was in love but I was not. Mateo never loved me. He used me. I was not a loyal sister or a good person the night we met."

Zayn looks around him quickly. "Are you here all alone, love? Please don't tell me I have to fight for your affections with a boyfriend lurking somewhere in the shadows."

Sofia threw her head back and laughed. Zayn watched the delicate neck of her throat contract and found himself smiling. What a treasure, he thought. He lowered his gaze to study her killer heels before lifting his head as she composed herself. The sight sent his blood pressure shooting through the ceiling.

He loved a woman in heels.

"No. I have no boyfriend at the moment." She answers.

"Excellent."

Zayn could only shake his head at the memory. He could see it all before him like it was yesterday. She used him. Lied to him.

"I was young and immature. I used your kindness and unleashed the wrath of my brother against you and your family. For that I am eternally sorry." She breathed as tears filled her eyes and spilled down her cheeks.

"Tell me, what is a beautiful woman like you doing here all alone?" He asks, turning his body to face her. His legs spread wide open on the barstool. Sofia turns to face him as well and crosses her legs between his spread ones.

"I'm from Italy. My brother is very protective of me. If I had a boyfriend, he would probably kill him." She shrugs. "I'm not supposed to be here all alone, but my brother is away on business and I needed a break from. . ."

She fell silent. Her expression turned somber. The lightness in her eyes dissipated as she looked away from him, her dark thick lashes veiling her eyes from him. Zayn lifted her chin with his fingers.

"From?" He prompted, titling his head slightly.

"My problems." She finishes and takes a long swallow of champagne. The elbow she had resting on the bar slipped and she nearly toppled over had it not been for Zayn catching her by the arms to steady her.

He felt he should be angered, or feel betrayed by all the information he heard, but he wasn't. He was more frustrated than angry. It was difficult to believe the woman he was attracted to, cared for, all this time was no other than Sofia Russo herself.

"This is a lot to take in. . ." He muttered, raking a hand through his dark hair.

He was also younger and naive back then. But he was no liar. He would never endanger another person for his own selfish gains.

He recalled how furious he was when he learned of Cristiano's vendetta against his family and for his sister's false accusations.

It nearly tore Jasmine's life apart. She held the burden of her experiences on her shoulders entirely without support, keeping everything hidden from him and the entire family.

However, Sofia paid a high price for her lies and deceit. A very high price. She nearly lost her life. Twice now.

It was true he resented her for everything she put Jasmine through and for using his name to fuel her brother's wrath against his family but that was all in the past. It was history.

"What happened to your Italian accent?" He asks, breaking his silence.

His question caught her off guard.

"I trained myself not to."

Zayn tilts his head. "Why?"

"To protect me from the enemy I could not see. I did it to blend in and it became a habit to speak with a British accent." She shrugged.

"I see." Was his reply.

"Please believe me Zayn, I did not know I was Sofia. I do not mean to hurt you, especially now. And now that I know what I did, I am so sorry for deceiving and hurting both you and Jasmine with my lies."

"I'm in shock, to be honest. This changes things."

One thing stood out above all the rest. She was now Sofia not Hope.

Did he love Sofia? No. He fell in love with Hope.

Now that she was Sofia, was any part of Hope still in there? She was two different women in one body.

"Can you forgive me for all the despicable things I've done to you? Can you accept me for who I am? Both as Hope and Sofia."

It was like she read his mind.

"If you cannot . . . I understand as much as it pains me to say this: I will step out of your life as though I never existed."

He took a deep breath. "You cannot be both women."

"But I am." She argued. "I am Sofia and Hope. I am the same woman you fell in love with. I am the same woman who betrayed you repeatedly. But I am also the same woman who loves you with all her heart."

"I never expected this. Any of this."

He ignored the uncomfortable tightness in his chest.

"So what do we do?" Her eyes welled up with tears, a sad smile ghosting across her lips. "You want to end what is between us, don't you."

A statement, not a question.

Hardly breathing, she waited for his response.

For long moments neither one of them spoke, until at last he said, "Hope." Zayn shook his head in an admonishing manner. "I mean Sofia. . .this is a lot to process."

She offered no protest but he saw the wary watchfulness in her eyes. He made one last effort to reassure her. It was the least he could do.

This wasn't just new for him, it was for her too.

"You have so much to catch up on. You lost years of your life and I am sure you want to spend time with your brother. His children have the right to know their aunt. Much has changed since it was believed you died. You deserve the time to heal, recover and rebuild the life you had without my interference."

He had to put her well-being ahead of his own, knowing even as he did so that, however painful the outcome, he would never regret having done so.

"I do not want anyone or anything but you, Zayn. Even if I have to go through all the pain and suffering I endured all over again and it meant I would end up with you, I wouldn't think twice about it. No matter how much time passes, even if you do not want me in your life I want you to know, I love you Zayn. With all my heart and soul. I. Love. You."

She wipes a lone tear running down her cheek.

The last thing he expected was that heartfelt appeal, and if it affected him more than was probably necessary.

The night he met Sofia, there was a connection even back then. That he could not deny.

Their souls reconnected. After all the time that passed and everything she went through, she made it back to him.

What kind of person would he be if he held her sins against her after everything she endured. After life destroyed her and built her right back up.

Fate put her in his path for a reason, not once but twice now, for that he was sure.

It all came together and settled into place on its own. Jasmine and Cristiano's life, her life and now his. It was a full circle.

What mattered was the present.

However, the present was unknown.

She looked so small and so fragile.

A tense silence engulfed the hospital room.

"My instincts are rarely wrong. . ." He began. "I knew something was strange about you from the beginning. I didn't even know who you were. I could not explain it but something inside me was automatically triggered to care for you. I sensed you."

She nodded, too choked for a moment to speak. She waited with a desperate hope in her eyes.

"We've both made mistakes we don't intend on repeating. . . "

"I'm a quick learner." She wept, her crystal blue eyes full of gratitude and wonder.

"I'm more interested in the way things are now."

"So am I." She agreed.

"You and I are very different but very much the same. We've been on the flight of our lives. And now we're tired of flying. We've discovered that we need somewhere to come home to."

He stared at her for a minute which seemed like an hour before letting go of a sigh which seemed to come from a deep, dark place inside him.

It was high time they leave the past behind forever.

"Zayn. . ." She whispered. "I've found my home. It's in your arms."

"I'm yours through the good and the bad." He said simply. "I'm right here. Always and forever."

He was smiling as he took her in his arms–as if she was a delicate parcel and any pressure might make her snap.

"Hold me tighter." She protested.

"You're safe now." He whispered against her forehead, kissing her repeatedly. He closed his eyes gazing at her silken hair and let her cry as he knew she needed to. She cried until there were no tears left.

"Oh Zayn." She whispered. "I love you so much."

"The best thing of all is that I feel exactly the same way about you. I love you. All of you." His smile was tender as he pulled her closer. "So tell me–now that you're Sofia do you still want to marry me?"

She lifted her hand to his face and stared into the brilliance of his captivating sapphire blue eyes.

"Amore." She said softly in Italian. "I want more than marriage with you. I want to bear your children. I want to grow old by your side. And when It's finally my time to depart this world I want to do so in your arms. I promise to spend the rest of my life showing you just how much I cherish you."

They were staring at each other like two people who had emerged into the sunlight after a long time in the dark, sealing not just their fate but their promise to each other with a kiss.

*******

Cristiano had walked her down the aisle to meet Zayn.

"We should have eloped and gotten married at a chapel in Vegas." Zayn whispered with a wink when she reached the end of the aisle.

"And miss all this?" She whispered back.

Beneath the hot sun, in the grotto behind her brother and Jasmine's house, they were surrounded by flowers and a small audience of people who loved them. Even Sammy's boyfriend Chris flew in from England to be present for the wedding.

As the priest began to speak the words that would bind them together for all time, Zayn knew he should pay attention, but all he could do was look at his bride.

Her turquoise eyes, a mixture of sea and sky, smiled at him as he lifted her veil. She wore an exclusive white lace custom made dress made by Camelia.

It was fit for a princess.

He must admit. It wasn't just Sofia who'd wanted this kind of wedding. He had wanted it as well. In some way he'd wanted this all his life.

Family.

Home.

Love.

As Sofia said the words that made her his wife her voice was sweet and true. He barely remembered repeating the words himself and before he knew it they were declared husband and wife, and he was kissing the bride.

Over the sound of the grotto's waterfalls he heard their family and friends behind them burst into applause, and of course a noisy cheer from Sammy. "And that ladies and gentleman is how a man loves a woman!"

As he kissed her, holding her tightly in his arms, all he could feel was the pounding of his heart against hers.

Sofia pulled back, caressing his face as she grinned up at him through her tears. "Wasn't that better than having Elvis marry us?"

Hiding a grin, he looked down at her. "I'm yours to command now, princess Sofia."

He stroked her hair and they stood holding each other.

"Mine to command, you say?" She paused, pretending to consider her options. "Very well then, my first order is that you whisk me away to a far away land where you and I never leave the bedroom."

"And skip the reception?" He asked, lifting a fine eyebrow, the roguish sparkle dancing in his eyes.

He drew her hand up to his lips.

"They won't miss us." Giving him a wicked smile. "Besides, we do have quite a bit of catching up to do."

They made a vow to abstain from making love until the wedding. She and Zayn yearned for each other with a passion. But they both agreed the wait would be worth it once they were husband and wife.

"Your wish is my command, your highness." With a devilish grin of his own, he picked her up in his arms and to the delighted gasps of the crowd, he turned and carried her in his arms.

Clouds of flower petals rained down on them in the light breeze as Sofia's eyes swam with love.

He was the prince of her dreams. Her soulmate. Her miracle.

Their love came with no warning.

It was no accident.

They found something in each other neither expected. Everything he ever needed he found in her and everything she was missing she found in him.

Life was full of surprises, she thought, wrapping her arms tightly around his neck, nestling against him.

She had his heart and he had hers.

Forever, until the end.

THE END
__________________________________________________________________________

And that's a wrap! 
How many of you still believed she was going to end up being Sofia? 
Were you surprised?
I hope it was worth the wait.  Thanks for being patient, for your dedication and for believing in me.  Take a peek at my thought process as I was writing this story below!

Trivia:
• This by far has been the most challenging story for me to write and took the longest planning. Writing and coming up with new ideas for a story was super difficult the 4th time around. At one point I didn't believe it would happen.

• I've watched the movie Pretty Woman so many times over the years that I thought it'd be fun to have that same vibe/theme in this story. Plus it's never a story of mine if it doesn't involve some kind of fairytale. . . The Ugly Duckling.

Although I kinda killed Sofia off in His Yasmina....As I read comments about her, I decided to bring her back to life.  I planned to have her come back from the very beginning when I first started planning Zayn's story. And like I always do, I twisted the heck out of the story line to keep my past readers all at bay with their spot on theories and guesses. I mean, come on, I couldn't make it that obvious, right?

•I had always envisioned younger Sofia as Megan Fox as portrayed in the photo collages I uploaded during the writing of His Yasmina. But as you know she was left dead and unrecognizable. I had to find another actress with the same beauty yet looked different all the same. That's when I found Angelina Jolie (the younger versions of her of course). With the reconstructive surgery done to Hope's face she was easy to transform and easier to keep readers from recognizing who she was.

• The hardest chapter for me was the ballroom charity event. I couldn't give much away when Jack was first introduced.

•What was even harder was coming up with the stories of how Hope was found.  Or who she was.  I tried relentlessly to come up with scenarios that would make sense and keep everyone wondering. 

• Sammy absolutely had to make a come back! I had him planned from the beginning too since he was so popular and so loved in His Camelia and His Yasmina.  Of course, I finally had to give him his own happy ending too!

•An important fact not known is my sister helped me amplify Sammy's personality so much through my stories.  She was behind many of the witty things that came out of his mouth!  Thank you sis, couldn't come up with such a unique, funny, and much loved character without you. ❤️

I never planned to bring Vivian back.  Halfway through writing my sister provided me the idea of making her Humphrey's mother. With how I wrote her in His Yasmina it made it easy to incorporate her as a scheming con and no one would have even guessed she had a hidden agenda.

•Originally when I was thinking of Zayn I always saw him as David Ghandy (the younger version of the British model) but when I watched the movie Gabriels Inferno on Passionflix (and yes I read all the books by Sylvain Reynard before the movies were made) and saw the male lead Guilio Berruti, I saw Zayn even clearer and never looked back. He was perfect! Young, sexy, tall and handsome!

•I know in my other stories I emphasized Zayn as the playboy type–a charming heartbreaker, passionate, suave, gentle and every girls dream.  He was more of a lover than a fighter, so unlike my other male leads who were dark, dangerous, and possessive. 

In his story I had you see the playboy at times but we also got to see him evolve.  With age comes wisdom and maturity and as people get older our outlooks change–Experiences change us, responsibility shapes us.  What we weren't ready for becomes clearer and we really see who he was meant to become.  Sometimes it takes one person to change everything.

•When I was writing the epilogue I was going to make if difficult for Zayn to accept Hope as Sofia. Their love was going to be challenged a little more but halfway through writing it I deleted what I had and re-wrote a easier ending that did not entail me splitting the chapter. I believe it worked out best this way. I went for less heart ache and more positivity.  I think I did enough to them already 😉

Hopefully you enjoyed Zayn's story. This is the end of the St. James series. I loved every second of everyday writing these stories and I'm so proud of what I've accomplished. Writing has been the most challenging thing I've ever done.

But if it wasn't for all of you, my fans, my supporters, I do not believe I would have wrote all four stories. You were the force behind all this work and I thank you ALL for showing me what I did not know I was even capable of.

Thank you for hanging in there, thank you for the votes, thank you for the comments, thank you for your enthusiasm, and above all thank you for believing in me.  It has been a adventure I will never take for granted.  Its been a pleasure.

I have a tremendous amount of gratitude to you ALL.  This series is dedicated to each and every one of you.

I invite you all to go back and re-read the entire story now that it is complete. It feels different now that they are all accessible.  You'd be surprised how much one forgets after waiting week after week for updates. 

I'd really appreciate it if you all could share this story with others and vote if you haven't already.  The more votes the more exposure and I'd love to see it hit top charts. 

Thanks again and hopefully I will be back with another story in the near future!

You can still find me active on instagram.  @Shaerzam. This account is dedicated to the His Series. And you never know. . .I might share sneak peeks of my future work on there too.

Time for me to sign off and take a nice long break!

-Shaz

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4M 78.3K 45
"I'm not gonna have sex with you baby. Not yet. Just a little fun with the help of some old toys." He smirked and then it suddenly hit me. He stole t...
1.2M 19.2K 77
*MATURE CONTENT* (18+) PLEASE DON'T COPYRIGHT "Go fuck yourself Harry! this conversation is over you need to leave" I hate him so much, but I seem t...
790K 43.1K 46
Little did he know, her flame couldn't be put out. And little did she know. . .Cristiano always won. ********************************************...
73.3K 2.6K 42
It wasn't suppose to happen like this. She was nerdy. Small nerdy little Emma. Always being picked on by people bigger than her. People like Harry fo...