Can't Ask, Don't Need, Won't...

By DreamwalkerWanda

This story is not mine, I did not write it, credits for that to LilRacka on AO3, I'm just putting her story o... More

chapter 1: alone
Chapter 2: Tentative
Chapter 3: Revelations
Chapter 4: Status Quo
Chapter 5: Understanding
Chapter 6: Sheer Stupidity
Chapter 7: Reckoning
Chapter 8: Change of Scenery
Chapter 9: Normalcy
Chapter 10: Honesty
chapter 11: Best Laid Plans
chapter 12: Concrete Jungle
Chapter 13: Little one
Chapter 14: Recovery
Chapter 15: Teenage Kicks
Chapter 16: Consequences
Chapter 17: The Beginning
Chapter 19: Mending Bridges
Chapter 20: Safe Surrender
Chapter 21: The Transition
Chapter 22: First day
Chapter 23: Maturity Matters
Chapter 24: Masking the Moment
Chapter 25: In Sickness and In Health
Chapter 26: A Vision in Red
Chapter 27: Breakthrough
Chapter 28: The Party
Chapter 29: Cognitive Recalibration
Chapter 30: Mrs Rushman I presume?
Chapter 31: Protecting a Minor
Chapter 32: Vasovagal syncope
Chapter 33: Rationalising Denial
Chapter 34: O Tannenbaum
Chapter 35: The penultimate days
Chapter 36: Mutual understanding
Chapter 37: Sartorial Greetings
Chapter 38: Paparazzo
Chapter 39: A New Dawn
Chapter 40: Inbetween days
Chapter 41: Krakow at Dawn
Chapter 42: The Yalta Conference
Chapter 43: What we see depends mainly on what we look for
Chapter 44: The Rome Statue
Chapter 45: Luminous Introspection
Chapter 46: Back with the Ex
Chapter 47: Ulterior motives
Chapter 48: You and Me equals History
Chapter 49: Reality Bites
chapter 50: Reality Bites part 2

Chapter 18: Civil Discourse

340 9 0
By DreamwalkerWanda

The Truck hurtled towards the guard station for the institute for infectious diseases. The armed driver jumped out as it smashed into the station. The trucks enter the compound through the hole left behind. Armed soldiers exit the vehicle firing rifles around the courtyard. Gas canisters are thrown into the building. Steve arrives and quickly takes out a few of the soldiers.

“Body armor, AR-15's. I make 7 hostiles,” Steve shouts over the gunfire. Sam flies in and up to a rooftop, spinning and using his wings to block gunfire. He takes out two soldiers in quick succession.
“I make 5,” replies Sam.

Wanda decided this is the moment to make her entrance, her powers giving her the impression of flying she leaps over the rooftop and into the courtyard. She blocks the bullets with one hand and uses her others to thrust a soldier into the sky.
“Sam,” she yells. Wilson glides down from the roof and catches the soldiers before flinging him off. “Four.”

Sam looks down at his wrist getting the data from redwing, his drone, “Rumlow’s on the third floor.”

Steve turned to the teenager in the courtyard, “Wanda, just like we practiced.”

“What about the gas?” asked Wanda wearily, glancing towards the building.

“Get it out.”

Wanda nods and wave her hands, boosting Steve up to the third floor window. She then sets about removing the gas from the building, she concentrates hard and starts pushing it out into the upper echelons of the atmosphere. Wanda was starting to feel drained, it was a great effort to move such a volume of gas to such a height where it no longer posed a threat. It took a while before she was happy that it was all gone. She turned back to see where the others had gone.

She headed in the direction of Steve, as she saw he was fighting in close combat with who she assumed was the ringleader. Punches were flying between the two men. Steve finally gets the upper hand and Rumlow drops to his knees in defeat.

“I think I look pretty good, all things considered,” he joked sardonically.

“Who's your buyer?” questioned Steve in annoyance.

“You know, he knew you. You pal, your buddy, your Bucky,” Rumlow spat out.

“What did you say?” asked Steve clearly affected by hearing that name.

Rumlow realising he had hit the sore point continued on with glee, “he remembered you. I was there. He got all weepy about it. Till they put his brain back in a blender. He wanted you to know something. He said to me, ‘Please tell Rogers. When you gotta go, you gotta go.’ And you're coming with me.”

Steve looked down flinching in regret and Rumlow activated the bomb vest he was wearing.
Wanda watched in shock screaming out, her mind not realising what she had just yelled, “Dad!”

She threw her arms out to contain the blast but she was already tired from her exertions earlier. Wanda attempted to lift the blast into the air like she had the gas. Steve turned to her in shock, half at what she had yelled and the other half about the sudden turn of events. Wanda tried to maintain control but in the last second her exhaustion hit through her and she lost control of the man and the explosion. He went smashing into a nearby office block. Wanda watches in shock as the building is devastated and fire reigns through the floors. She drops to her knees in horror, at the damage she had unwittingly caused.

Natasha ran around the corner taking in the carnage, her first instinct was to run to her broken teenager, but saw the public and the cameras everywhere. It would not be good for their relationship to be public knowledge. As much as she yearned to comfort her devastated child. Steve tried to recover his equilibrium as he starred at the destruction. “Sam . . . We need . . . Fire and Rescue . . . on the south side of the building. We gotta get up there.”

……………………..

Wanda didn’t speak the entire jet ride home, they all tried to get the teenager to speak. As soon as she got back she locked her self away in her room. She found herself turning the TV on and listening to all the different reporting of the attack. She cringes with every word, as she thinks over her actions again and again, cursing herself for her weakness. If only she had trained harder, if only she had been better prepared. She should have been powerful enough. Wanda didn’t hear the door open, she only stopped watching the TV when it suddenly switched off. Steve set the remote on the bedside table, he was followed into the room by a concerned Natasha.

“It's my fault,” said Wanda sadly. “That's not true,” replied Steve gently.
“Turn the TV back on. They're being very specific,” stated Wanda firmly with a hint of sadness.

“I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it,” was Steve’s gentle reply. He went over and sat next to the teenager. Natasha stayed in the doorway knowing that Steve needed to handle this.
“Rumlow said "Bucky" and . . . all of a sudden I was a 16-year-old kid again, in Brooklyn. And people died. It's on me,” continued Steve.

“It's on both of us,” appeased Wanda.

“This job . . . we try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that, next time . . . maybe nobody gets saved.”
Vision materialised through the wall. “Vis! We talked about this.”

“Yes, but the door was open so I assumed that ...Captain Rogers wished to know when Mr. Stark was arriving.”

Natasha glared at the android, clearly unhappy that he had materialised in her daughter’s room prior to this, if her words were anything to go on. Steve knew he better speak up before the mama bear erupted.

“Thank you. We'll be right down.”

“I'll . . . use the door. Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest,” replied Vision as he exited the room past the glaring black Widow.

“We know who it is?”

Vision turned back abruptly from the doorway, to face Steve, “The Secretary of State.”

Steve sighed. Natasha glanced at him “it’s ok Steve, head over, Wanda and I will join you in a minute.”

Steve stood up and placed a kiss to Wanda’s forehead before leaving the room. Natasha went and sat down next to the upset girl.

“You ok sweetheart?”

Wanda knew in that second why she had been avoiding Natasha since the incident, all it took was one term of endearment, the concern dripping in her voice and she broke. The tears cascaded down her face. “Of course you’re not.”

Natasha wrapped the girl into her arms, pulling the girls head into her chest, she peppered the girls head with kisses. Wanda just sobbed earnestly into the older woman. No more words were spoken, Natasha just gently rocked the teenager until there was only the occasional sniffle coming from the girl. “Take a few minutes’ sweetheart then come and join us in the meeting room ok?”

Wanda nodded before heading off to the bathroom to wash her face.

Wanda entered the room to see everyone already sat around the table, she quickly took her seat and glanced up at Secretary Ross who was stood waiting to addres the room. “Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass . . . I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives . . . but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some . . . who would prefer the word "vigilantes"”

“And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?” questioned Natasha with a narrowing of her eyes.

“How about "dangerous"? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?”
Ross activates a screen behind him. News footage from past Avengers and SHIELD matters flash on the screen as he speaks. Terror, destruction, gunfire, buildings tumbling appear scene by scene all running into each other like some sort of malevolent montage.
“New York, Washington DC, Sokovia.”

At the mention of Sokovia, Wanda’s eyes are unable to move away from the screen as she watches her home city razed to the ground. The avengers had protected her from seeing most of the destruction, and wrapped her in cotton wall when it came to the media focus on the events.

“And lastly Lagos.”

Wanda is unable to hide her discomfort as she visibly starts to tear up, she is one big raw ending still.

“Okay. That's enough,” stated Steve firmly, looking over with concern at Wanda.
Secretary Ross turns the images off, “For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution.”

He places a big book onto the table, “The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries . . . it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary.”

“The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that.” Argued Steve.

“Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?”
Steve glares at him slightly in response but doesn’t respond so Secretary Ross continues, “If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes . . . you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground.”

“So, there are contingencies,” questioned Rhodes

“Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords. Talk it over.”

“And if we come to a decision you don't like?” asked Natasha.

“Then you retire,” was Secretary Ross’s simple response.

……………………………..

The avengers all sat around the table, Steve was quietly reading the accords, as the others all discussed it between them. Wanda sat quietly as the others all discussed it around her. The arguing was making her uncomfortable. She listened carefully as Tony told them all about Charles Spencer the kid that had died in Sokovia. It had clearly impacted Tony more than he wanted to admit. The guilt was dripping from his pores. Steve just argued back about responsibility and agendas. The words were all starting to blur to Wanda, but she focused back when she heard Tony say, “If we don’t do this now, it’s gonna be done to us later. That’s the fact. That won’t be pretty.”

Wanda looked up and stared at Tony, “you’re saying they’ll come for me.”

Natasha noticed she said ‘me’ in stead of ‘us.’ Vision spoke up quickly, “We could protect you.”

Natasha kept replaying Tony and Wanda’s words over and over in her head as if they were on continuous loop. She had to protect Wanda at any cost. “Maybe Tony’s right. If we have one hand on the wheel. We can still steer. If we take it off…”

Sam interrupted her, “aren’t you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?”

“I’m just…. I’m reading the terrain. We have made some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back,” Natasha hoped she had managed to deflect the attention away from Wanda. She hoped the team didn’t realise her true intentions.

“Focus up, I’m sorry, did I mishear you or did you agree with me?” joked Tony.

“Oh I want to take it back now,” responded Natasha sharply.

“No, no, no. You can’t retract it. Thank you. Unprecedented. Okay, case closed. I win.”

Steve glanced towards his phone, he drops the accords onto the table. “I have to go.”

Natasha glanced at her own phone and sighed before turning to Wanda, “Wanda sweetheart I need you to stay with Uncle Tony and Aunt Pepper. I have to go with Steve, I won’t be away for long I promise.”

Wanda nodded mutely, Natasha hated herself for being torn between the two people she cared for most in the world.

……………………………………………………

Steve stood alone in the church aisle, dressed uncharacteristically all in black. Natasha approaches him slowly she doesn’t need to say a word to prompt him speaking.

“When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found out that she was alive. I was just lucky to have her.”

“She had you back, too.” Replied Natasha lightly.

“Who else has signed?”

“Tony. Rhodey. Vision.” Stated Natasha.

“Clint?” questioned Steve.

“Says he's retired.”

Steve took a deep breath, “Wanda?”

“Wanda is a minor, she can’t sign, but as her legal guardian I’m responsible for her. I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room on the jet.” Natasha trailed off at the end almost willing Steve to agree with her, “Just because it's the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together.”

Steve can see by Natasha’s tone that she does not really believe it. “What are we giving up to do it? I'm sorry, Nat. I can't sign it.”

“I know,” replied Natasha sadly.

“Then what are you doing here?” asked Steve, looking around the church.

“I didn't want you to be alone.” Natasha pulls the man into a tight hug, “Come here.”

Wanda sat awkwardly at the piano, she couldn’t bring herself to play anything but her fingers on the keys gave her a lot of comfort.

“Penny for your thoughts?” asked pepper. Wanda just shook her head. Pepper sighed and went and sat down next to the teenager.

“You know I saw the clips from Lagos, I heard what you called Steve,” she said keeping her tone soft.

Wanda turned red, “it was a mistake.”

“I don’t think it was Wanda. There is nothing wrong with wanting a family.”

“I don’t need a family,” she snapped back unhappy that Pepper was poking at her soft metaphorical underbelly.

Pepper wrapped her arm around Wanda’s shoulder, “you keep telling yourself that, your uncle Tony has just left for Vienna. So it will just be me, you and Vision here for the next few days.”

“I want to go! Why has he left without me?” Wanda angrily replied.

“Because you are not involved in this, your Mama and Uncle Tony are sorting this.”

“It involves me! I should be there,” argued Wanda back. “This is all my fault.”

Pepper looked at the teen sadly but knew she was not the right person to convince her otherwise. “Come on Wanda, get ready for bed darling. Then we can video call Natasha if you want.”

“No thanks, Good night.”

Pepper watched as Wanda slowly slunk away to her bedroom, anguish dripping off her body language.

……………………………………………

The next few days passed slowly for Wanda, she felt lost. Without training or a schedule, she was structure-less. Her days just revolved around cooking meals and moping. Vision was trying his best to lift her spirits with home comforts but it wasn’t really working. It was further compounded when the news broke through of the bombing in Vienna. Natasha had called her to tell her that everyone was ok, and she was to stay put in the compound. Despite the chaos around the world. Wanda was going to argue but she heard Natasha’s weary tone and thought better of it.

Vision wouldn’t even let her leave the building so she couldn’t even relax with the grass beneath her feet. She was trapped. It was the evening Pepper had gone out for a late dinner meeting such was the life of a CEO. She was stood next to Visions slowly stirring the dish of food. When an explosion outside lit up the window of the complex.

Wanda turned in worry, “What is it?”

“Stay here please.” Vision flew through the walls of the compound. Wanda felt the noise of someone entering the room behind her, she flung the knife off the side towards the assailant. She stopped the attack dead before it made contact when she realised who it was.

“Guess I shoulda knocked.”

“Uncle Clint! What are you doing here?”

“Disappointing my kids. I’m supposed to go water skiing. Cap needs our help. Come on.”

Clint reaches his hand out to Wanda, before quickly raising his bow again when Vision reappears in the room. “Clint, you should not be here.”

“Really? I retired for, what, like five minutes, and it all goes to shit.”

“Please consider the consequences of your actions,” replied Vision calmly.

“Okay, they’re considered,” joked back Clint, before turning his attention back to Wanda, “Okay, we gotta go. It’s this way.”

Wanda hesitated for a moment, “I’ve caused enough problems.”
Clint jogged over to the teenager he wrapped his arms around her, “You gotta help me Wanda. Look you wanna mope you can go to high school. You wanna make amends, you get off your ass.”

Wanda pulled away and looked into his eyes, for the first time she saw someone finally talking to her honestly not handling her like she was fragile and breakable. She nodded in agreement. Vision seeing Wanda’s reaction attacks Clint grabbing him in a headlock as he avoids Clint’s blows back by phasing.

“Clint, you can’t overpower me.”

“I know I can’t. But she can.”

“Vision, that’s enough. Let him go. I’m leaving,” stated Wanda firmly, her arms up in an attacking pose.

“I can’t let you, I promised Tony, Pepper and Natasha I would keep you safe here,” replied Vision.

“I’m sorry,” was all Wanda said as she sent him hurtling through the floors of the compound.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 30.1K 37
After the passing of Abigail Bentley's mother, she is now the only one responsible for her family's well-being. Her father, often too drunk to stand...
278K 8.2K 93
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...
211K 7.4K 97
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
412K 19.7K 81
Kang y/n was always been the black sheep of the family. Overshadow by her extremely talented, gorgeous sister Roseanne . Who has the world revolve a...