✔ Mrs Mandray

By Jessicalids

To save her sisters from starvation, to provide them with a home, Isabella Archeron married Tomas Mandray bef... More

1. Bouquet
2. The Other Side
3. Visitors
4. Suspicions
5. Speculation
6. Introductions
7. A Dinner to Remember
8. Midnight Talks
9. Breakfast
10. Gossip and Tea
11. Vulnerable
12. Distance
13. Confession
14. Lies
15. Evening Affairs
16. Curious Bats
17. Children and House Wives
18. Conversations between Brothers
19. Village Ruins
20. A Scholar's Intelligence
21. Market Day
22. The Letter
23. Murderous Meetings
24. The Queens
25. Defence
26. Tea Fixes Everything
27. Confessions of Love
28. Playing Nurse
29. The Blanket
30. Shadow Friends
31. Dinner Dates
32. Help me
33. Fables of the Fae
34. Winter Solstice Decorations
36. Crushing Hope
37. Unexpected Allies
38. Winter Solstice Part 1
39. Winter Solstice Part 2
40. Prythian
41. Nesta
42. Afternoon Tea
43. Househunting
44. Conversations of Love
45. Cazriel Confessions
46. Village Pyres
47. The Truth
48. Murder
49. Twilight Hours
50. Drunk Conversations
51. Unexpected Guests
52. Mrs Cromwell
53. Comfort
54. Conversations at Night
55. Whiskey
56. 。・:*:・゚★ Quiet Mornings
57. Fathers and Sons
58. Guilt
59. Fish Balls
60. Home
Book Two
OTHER BOOKS

35. Gossiping Friends

2.7K 164 122
By Jessicalids

Cassian

It was like some alternate reality watching his mate interact with Azriel. They were at ease, so perfectly content with each other that for a moment he felt left out. Or he would have felt that way if there weren't shadows swirling at his feet, the same shadows that were curling around Isabella's shoulder.

That also felt like a dream. He was sitting at a kitchen table that reminded him of his youth, side by side with his mate who was subtly curled into his side while she conversed with one of the few people who also sought a home in heart.

Even the sound of Oliver's gentle snores brought Cassian a sense of peace. Azriel it seemed was also keeping an ear out for the young boy for his face would subtly soften when a shadow would dart down the stairs and curl around his ear.

Wisp it seems was more than just Tiny's best friend.

The thought might have bothered him once upon a time, when he was more insecure and rash. Now it brought only comfort. Azriel was willing to defend his mate. But it was not the protectiveness that Cassian had a problem with. It was the look in Azriel's eyes.

Something slowly began to shift in Cassian at the sight of them together. At the way Azriel's eyes would darken or a rosy blush would spread across Isabella's cheeks. It was torturous wanting to strangle the spymaster during every second of their conversation.

Even now he could feel his rage boiling, his hand clenching uselessly into a fist as Isabella laughed at a joke his now ex-friend told her. It was a futile battle trying to calm himself down, trying to remind himself that Azriel was a friend. It was made harder by the ease at which the two conversed and the tension that had built in the unacknowledged mate bond.

Cassian froze when Azriel's piercing gaze drifted towards him. There was a challenge there, a threat that dared him to say anything in front of Isabella.

So Cassian waited and he admired his mate.

The way her eyes would light up with an open joy. It was a spark new to her eyes and one that he intended to keep there. For even in the quiet moments there was a subtle glow to her, one born of hope and happiness. Cassian prayed that the change had something to do with him even as he watched Azriel make her whole soul light up as they playfully fostered and ribbed each other.

He should have been the only one to see her like this, this open and carefree. This vulnerable in her happiness. It was one thing to share her safety with Azriel, her friendship but to have Azriel make his mate laugh like this, make her blush like this?

A soft tremble began in his hands as the urge to start throwing fist built.

Surprisingly it was his feral instincts that were forcing him to calm down. Screaming that he would only bring fear to Isabella's heart if his rage continued. Which was fucking bullshit considering the magic of the mother and the bond should be well aware of his need to defend his mate from Azriel.

He had no problem with Isabella making her own decisions. She could choose whoever she wanted. But what was not okay was Cassian's own fucking soul brother flirting with her openly in front of him.

Who the hell does he think he is?

What right does he have to interfere with his and Isabella's chance at happiness?

To interfere with Oliver's happiness.

And that was the thought that did it. Because Cassian already loved that boy. Even if things went south with Isabella he had every intention of continuing his care of Tiny. That was not a privilege that Cassian would let Azriel take away from him.

He doesn't remember what he says, only that he's rising one moment and the next is spent pressing a sweet - perhaps a little more possessive than he should have done - kiss to Isabella's lips. She holds him there for a second and the little sigh that passes her lips when she pulls away has his rage stumbling. It falters again when Isabella pulls back enough to rest her forehead against his.

"Azriel dropped off the books Rhys recommended." She murmured and he could feel that overwhelming crushing weight ease from his chest the longer he stared into her eyes. "But... I think there might be stuff for us to discuss– about fae courting culture." She toys nervously with her lips and Cassian finds himself gently pressing his thumb to her lower lip. Watching as her tongue dart out to touch the pad of his finger as he slowly drags it away from her teeth.

"I'll answer whatever questions you have." His voice is rough and low. A small part of him preens when Isabella's throat bobs at his touch. Her gentle shiver is a reminder that she feels the bond too.

She nods mutely, leaning up to press another soft kiss that has him practically floating with joy before Isabella titters over to Azriel. They embrace in such a warm and familiar hug that had any semblance of joy and happiness Cassian felt turning to fearful rage as he realises that Azriel could very well take Isabella away from him.

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*

Azriel

He wasn't stupid. He could see the rage slowly mounting in Cassian's eyes the longer Azriel spoke with Isabella. Originally it had been a little fuck you to the male. An opportunity to playfully toy with Cassian's new found protectiveness and rage. And if a small part of Azriel was relishing in talking with his mate, in having a peaceful moment with both Isabella and Cassian then who was he to complain.

Except he was very much complaining now that he and Cassian were walking away from the Mandray home in a tense silence.

Guilt began clawing at his chest, tightening against his lungs as the full weight of what he did to Isabella and Cassian's relationship hit him.

What the fuck had he been thinking. They were happy, or on their way to being. Isabella had just built up the confidence to leave her shit husband and he decided now was a good time to start flirting?

Azriel could feel his stomach churning. Stupid, so stupid of him. Getting caught up in the moment, the atmosphere and adrenaline of it all was such a ridiculous move.

Didn't change the fact that Isabella was happy with him.

But that's not the fucking point considering that Azriel could see Cassian about to lose his shit. The scent of rage and power crackled through the air, heightening Azriel's senses and instincts as Cassian slowly turned to him.

The wrath twisting his features brought out a vicious anger in Azriel. His instincts scream to dominate the challenge, to beat Cassian into a bloody pulp for not only threatening Azriel but for threatening Isabella.

But they were both threats to her at that moment. With tensions high and magic running free so when Cassian snarled to take them both to Illyria Azriel didn't hesitate to comply.

Cassian swung at him the second his shadows receded. He barely registered the pain before he was lunging at his brother. For minutes that could have been hours they were lost in the rage of the battle, fighting with fists and strength as they slammed each other into the muddy ground.

They were savage and Azriel revelled in it. He let the pain wash over him, cleansing him of his sins as Cassian turned into a punching bag. It was only guilt and self hatred that had him pulling punches, even when Cassian broke his ribs with kicks.

Eventually he grew tired of letting his brother burn himself out. He waited patiently for Cassian to make a mistake, ducking under a sloppy punch and striking at his unguarded stomach. Cassian roars at him and the sky booms with the sound of descending thunder as their magic churns up the surrounding skies into a storm.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Cassian swings at his head, dodging Azriel's pitiful attempt to hit the back of his knee. So they were finally talking about it then. "With everything that's going on right now you decided now was a good time to flirt with my mate."

"You wouldn't understand." Azriel snarled in return, feeling the rain drip down the side of his face as the skies darkened. "Disregarding the fact that I have never been anything but a good friend to Isabella," Cassian snarled at the use of his mate's name, lunging at him in a desperate attempt of a surprise attack that Azriel quickly evaded. "Did you ever stop to think that this might just be in your head."

Because gaslighting his best friend is the best way to deal with this situation.

"In my head." His voice was low and quiet. "In my fucking head. If this was in my head then why is Oliver bundled up in your quilt every night," That brought no small amount of smug satisfaction to Azriel's mind, "or why Isabella expecting fucking gossip sessions with you?"

"Maybe because I have something interesting to say." He absolutely deserved the black eye Cassian gave him.

For a moment he thought his brother would strike again but he stepped back, though his glare remained.

"What the hell is going on with you?" The words are so honest and almost worried that Azriel steps forward to throw a punch only to have Cassian back away from him. "No- no. I have never seen you this... open and- dare I say happy. Yet you look fucking devastated every time you stop being around Isabella."

"Can't we go back to fighting each other." Azriel grumbled, toying with the gauntlets at his wrists as Cassian sharply exhaled in what could be described as a laugh.

"I'm not... Angry about Isabella-" Azriel gives him a look, "Okay fine I am but I'm also male enough to admit that's based solely on insecurities I'm working on."

"So why the hell did you take a swing at me?"

"I don't know." Cassian all but whines, dragging his hands through his hair as he begins to pace. "It was just odd seeing the two of you so at ease when- when-"

"When we used to fuck." Azriel states blandly.

"Don't say it like that." Cassian hisses, glaring at him but a smirk tugs at Azriel's lips.

"Would you prefer I say 'make love'?"

"Don't call it that either."

Azriel sighs as he feels a headache build.

"Look, is this some kind of ridiculously late gay panic?" Azriel tries to sound sympathetic but he probably sounds exasperated. "Because this feels a little out of proportion for a gay panic that I distinctly remember you crying about to poor Rhysie."

Cassian snorts, "He was horrified."

Azriel's gaze softens and he lets his shoulders sag, "What's going on, Cas." Because it's much easier to focus on Cassian's problems than his own.

"Everything is changing." He confesses and Azriel's heart breaks at the uncertainty in Cassian's eyes. "I'm arguing with Mor, Rhys is fucking traumatised, Feyre's getting over Tamlin while flirting with Morrigan - not to mention the tension she has with her own sisters - amren is back to being a recluse now that she no longer has a purpose, you're clearly heartbroken and full of self loathing, and then to top it all off there's a fucking war on."

"Cas-"

"I'm a fixer, I know." He rolls his eyes, still pacing and tugging at his hair. "But I can't help with that shit. Isabella, I can help her and Oliver. They make me so happy, they make this whole mess easier to deal with just by smiling. And I know she makes you feel that way too- I'm not blind."

Azriel swallows down his guilt.

"But I don't want us to be those stupid teenage males that let a female drive apart years of loyalty. Or the idiots who prioritise party life and alcohol over family."

"Cassian," Azriel begins, voice thick as he stares at the ground. "I would never do anything to jeopardise you, or Isabella's, happiness. And if you want me to take some time-"

"Are you and Isabella mates?"

Motherfucker.

A/N: Going to be honest, I feel like this chapter is all over the place which matches my frazzled exam mood. Sorry.

How do you think the bat boys will react to the shared matebond?

I think Cassian would be happy for Azriel to join, they are equals and have respect for each other but I think he would struggle with the power dynamic of Rhys joing (b*stard illyrian vs a High Lord issues)

Azriel is going to be a mess of guilt and self hatred. Just saying that now.

Rhys??????? Amazed? Horrfied? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.4K 370 35
COMPLETED Post ACOSF fanfiction. Few characters and the universe in which the story takes place belong to Sarah J Mass while some are original. The...
108K 3.1K 31
This takes place after ACOWAR (Characters belong to Sarah J Maas) Azriel x OC ----‐--------------------------------------------------- Prythian is in...
11.5K 265 17
ᴛʜɪꜱ ɪꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏɴᴛɪɴᴜᴀᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏꜰ ʟɪɴᴇᴛᴛᴀ ᴀɴᴅ ɴʏx'ꜱ ꜱᴛᴏʀʏ, ᴀ ꜰᴀɴ ꜰɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ ʙᴀꜱᴇᴅ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ᴏꜰ 'ᴀ ᴄᴏᴜʀᴛ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴏʀɴꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ʀᴏꜱᴇꜱ'. 🌹 Status: Completed !Sweari...
931K 38.5K 137
Tw: this book will deal with triggering topics. If you are easily triggered this is not the story for you, thank you. (Book two in the Starlight seri...