The Heart Fixers

By clarftw

"I can take this mistake but, I can't take the ache of heartbreak." -The Script Kendall Jones is t... More

{unraveled}
{unwilling}
{unashamed}
{unbelievable}
{unreal}
{unscripted}
{undivided}
{unshaken}
{unrivaled}
{undoubtedly}
{unavailable}

{undefined}

2.4K 100 24
By clarftw

{Undefined: Chapter Seven}

"What do you mean you didn't see you were on the opposite side of traffic? That is just about the crappiest excuse I've ever heard of in my life! Look- this isn't even about the money. This is about how she could have gotten killed!" Jake said, running through his hands through his hair in frustration. I placed a hand on his shoulder.

Evan scoffed. "I already apologised for that, alright? It was a mistake, and I'm sorry. Anyway, why are you even reaming me out? You're not even her boyfriend."

The officer in front of us looked from Evan, with his tattoo, beanie, and unruly hair, to Jake, with his expensive leather jacket, windswept hair and eyes sparking fierily and made his decision.

"Evan Pieter, you'll pay Kendall May in full for repairs to her car as well as serve 150 hours community service," the cop explained and Evan's jaw dropped.

"You've got to be kidding me. 150 hours to top paying the damages?" he exploded and Jake advanced towards him but I tugged on his arm.

"Jake, please...just leave him, alright?" I said and I saw the flames in his eyes slowly dissolve. He let out a curt nod but slipped his hand into mine. I let out a small gasp. Sparks ran up the length of my arm and despite myself, I weaved my fingers between his, tightening the hold.

Dear diary,

I wanted him so bad.

But I think I was too scared to admit I had fallen for him in such a short time. Too scared to admit it even to myself. And what about Sean?

Gosh, I suck.

"You were drunk out of your mind, kiddo. You're lucky I didn't give you 300 hours for drunk driving, or even place you in juvie with a bail on your head. This is letting you off easy, so quit whining," the officer snapped and Evan slumped into his chair, defeated.

"Kendall May?" the officer continued.

"Yeah?"

"You'll be serving 30 hours community service as well."

"What?" I asked, incredulous. I hadn't even done anything wrong!

"You were speeding. Now in this sort of case, we'd usually hand you a ticket and let you go, but HQ is insisting that cases under 20 be handled with community service. As much community service as possible. Supposed to make you punks more responsible or some half-assed excuse like that," he muttered and Jake protested.

"You're not putting them in the same place are you?" he asked, motioning to Evan and I.

"Sorry, kid, Gerry Old Folks Home is the only place open as of now. They're both going there. You two start on Monday."

Evan glanced up, suddenly invigorated. A wicked smile spread across his features as he grinned at me.

"Awesome! At least I won't be completely alone," he smiled genuinely at me and despite myself, I let out a small smile back.

- - -

The ride back from the police station was in stony silence. I sneaked a peak at Jake. His hands clutched the steering wheel so tight, the were turning white. My car was being towed and held in the impound. Jake offered to drive me home.

"Thank you, Jake. For coming. You didn't have to," I let out softly and he finally glanced at me.

"Yes, I had to."

"Is this because...." I trailed off, not wanting to complete the sentence.

"I like you? Yeah, that's partly it. Also, I'd never want to see you hurt. I'd cut the baby- makers off any guy who so much as scratched you," he said and I believed him.

"Thanks anyway. You came through for me in a big way," I said and he smiled a little.

"It was no big deal. Does your best friend Sean know about your car accident?"

"I called him but he didn't pick up," I admitted.

"Stupid," he replied and I laughed a little.

"Yeah. But hey, Jake, quick question. Why'd you come for me? Even after I bailed on you, why'd you come?" I asked and Jake sucked in air through clenched teeth. I balled my hands into fists and sat on them.

What would he say?

"It's simple. We say things we often don't mean when we're agitated, or angry or...scared. I didn't want to lose you just in case you said that to me flippantly."

My heart pounded so fast I could hear my pulse in my ears.

"Lose me?"

"Kendall, I have something to tell you," he said and he swung the car over to the side of the road before turning to face me. As he stared at me with those deep, sea green eyes, I felt my blood rush to my face.

Oh boy.

Jake what are you doing to me?

"I had a girlfriend two years ago," he said, his voice shaky. I inhaled. Where was this going?

"Her name was Valerie, and she was the best thing to ever happen to me. Back then, I was...depressed. She saved me, and I loved her for it. But then, she left me. She cheated on me with my best friend, Bryce, and I couldn't take it. I fell back into depression again and swore off girls...until I saw you standing at Ballistic Burgers that day, looking so perfect and cute even when you were disdainful. It felt like my heart could maybe patch itself up again," he took a deep breath.

I felt my heart ache. Who could do that to a guy as perfect as Jake? He didn't deserve that. And depression! He was depressed! How stupid that I couldn't see past his happy facade. Had he ever let anyone see it?

"I won't say I love you, because it's too soon for that, but...I'd just like to know you. If you're scared, know that I'm scared shitless too."

Love, love, love. There was that word. LOVE. He said it. He Loved Valerie, he's thinking of Loving me in the future. How could he possibly be so casual about that word?

Love wrecks.

Case in point: Valerie and Jake. She wrecked him. Why? Because he Loved her, so she could wreck him. If he didn't Love her, what she did wouldn't matter to him as much.

"Can we be scared together, you think?" he asked.

Only one word replayed itself in my brain. Together. Together. Jake wants to be together. But isn't this going too fast? Besides...I like Sean. Don't I?

"Are you still worried this is too soon?" he asked gently and then let out a small laugh.

"Honestly, I'm not sure why I decided to tell you about Valerie. It just felt important that you knew I was as scared as you were. This is progressing a little too quick, I'll give you that, but it just feels right. To me at least. We don't have to be a couple if you're not ready for that, just...we could be friends plus a little extra," he offered and I smiled at that.

Friends plus a little extra. I could do that.

"Sure," I said, and his eyebrows shot up.

"Really?"

"Of course. And thank you...for telling me about Valerie. That took guts," I said honestly and reached out to run my fingers along his rough knuckles. He tensed slightly before relaxing under my touch.

"Is this the little extra?" he smirked at me and I smiled back.

"Yeap."

"I like you, Kendall. But I'll hold that back for now," he whispered as he leant forwards and brushed my jawline.

Dear Diary,

OH GOSH the SPARKS.

"I can't for too long though," he said teasingly as he poked my nose.

Then he pulled back unto the road and drove me home.

- - -

The next morning, I was in a rush. Like, a real rush. I was supposed to meet Sean 30 minutes ago.

I'd stayed up late till about 2 am last night toying with fantasies about Jake and I (how sad is that?), and to think I had thought of rejecting him.

In my rush, as I hurtled out my front door, and managed to hit into a couple.

"Dangit! I'm sorry!" I said, hastily retrieving the books they'd dropped.

"That's fine," said the girl. She was pretty, with blonde curls and a dazzling smile. The guy offered me a hand up.

"I didn't see where I was going, I'm also a real klutz- sorry," I winced.

The couple laughed simultaneously. Ho-kay, creepy, much?

"I'm Alissa Jordan, and this is my boyfriend Kinto Kent. Nice to meet you," Alissa said, extending a hand. I smiled at her and shook it. Kinto was a burly Asian guy with thick black hair and a warm smile. Cute.

"Same," I said.

I'm suuuuper sociable, can't you tell? Oh yea, maybe the fact I only have one friend who cares about me on and off (Sean) might say otherwise. Honestly, I'd never really bothered to make friends in college, never saw the point,after all I had Sean, and he was all I needed, but Jake made me realise meeting new people wasn't all bad.

"So, what school you guys go to?" I asked.

"Jefferson College," Alissa replied and smiled.

My jaw dropped. "No way, I go there too!"

"Yeah, we know. Kendall May, isn't it?" Kinto said and I realised I hadn't introduced myself.

"Oh! Yes, I'm Kendall. But how'd you know that?" I asked.

Kinto laughed. "Everybody knows you. Sienna May's sister."

"Oh," the smile dropped off my face.

Of course I'd only be known as Sienna May's sister.

"Shut up, Kin," Alissa said good-naturedly as she nudged her boyfriend in the ribs.

"Where you headed?" She asked.

"Oh just meeting up with a friend," I said.

"That's nice. Say, would you mind giving me your number? I mean," she blushed.

"I'd always wanted to get to know you, but you were always around that friend of yours, Sean, and he sorta scares me, so...." she continued.

I smiled at her. "Of course!" I said and we exchanged numbers to her excited squealing.

Refreshingly cute.

- - -

"Again?" Sean groaned as we reviewed his list of pros and cons once again.

"Yes, again," I demanded.

I looked down at what he'd written.

PROS

HOT as heck, super cute, banging bod, really popular, great kisser, feisty

CONS

Controlling, demanding, total bitch, easily jealous, dominating, stubborn

"Don't you see anything wrong with this list?" I asked again.

"No!" he protested.

This was gonna be a long day.

A/N

Kinto on the side!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

89 0 13
"Who the fuck are you?" I state. Why the hell is some random ass man standing right outside my door. "Your new bestfriend!" He smirks. Cameron is 19...
4.7K 43 25
"Growing up around fairytales, Disney princesses and teen films, we are raised to believe that happy endings are always in store for us. But more oft...
813K 14.2K 82
Two best friends are realising that they aren't kids anymore, and they have desires that need to be fulfilled. So who better to experiment with than...
249K 8.5K 30
Rosie isn't your typical girly girl. She's just one of the guys. Her bestfriend, Cameron has been her friend since kindergarten. They do everything t...