The Dragon Master

By EfronAllard

[HTTYD Fanfiction] Hiccup Haddock never knew why he was born, especially among a tribe of dragon-hating Vikin... More

Prologue
Chapter 2 - A Boy Who Harbors Pain
Chapter 3 - The Night Fury
Chapter 4 - New Heir
Chapter 5 - Guilty Feelings
Chapter 6 - Flight, Nest, and Caught
Chapter 7 - Banishment
Chapter 8 - 10 years in Exile
Chapter 9 - 10 years later at Berk
Chapter 10 - Karalyn and Celare
Chapter 11 - Council Convocation
Chapter 12 - Introspection and Diplomacy
Chapter 13 - Peace Plan

Chapter 1 - Life in Berk

1.5K 30 28
By EfronAllard

Hiccup is awakened by a loud noise in the center of the village. He opened his eyes and saw that the sunlight had entered his room, through the window. It's already noon. It seemed he had slept quite a bit since he couldn't sleep late last night. Hiccup sighed and got up from his wooden bed.

"Once again a sad day." Hiccup said to himself.

Hiccup readied himself and slipped into his thick bear fur cloak over his light green tunic. He put on his boots and left the house. The village is already very crowded there. The villagers are busy with their work. However, when they realized Hiccup's presence, they glared at him and muttered insults.

"Seriously, has the chief lost his mind letting this useless brat stay here?"

"He should just be thrown out."

"Berk never wanted a failed viking like him!"

"What other ridiculous thing did he do today?"

Their every whisper hurts Hiccup. Those words seemed to contain poison that could kill him slowly. Hiccup just sighed and walked away while lowering his head. Swallow every insult. Hiccup kept walking until he arrived at 'The Forge'. This was the smithy where he worked alongside his mentor. The Forge is on a side that is less populated so that reduces the possibility of intimidation. Hiccup enters the garage and is greeted by Gobber.

"Morning lad, hope you slept well last night, you know you have a lot of work to do," Gobber said, pointing to the pile of weapons that had to be re-sharpened with his thumb. There are axes, maces and swords on the wooden table.

"Great, I slept well, hope I don't die from this work," Hiccup replied sarcastically. Gobber just rolled his eyes.

Working at The Forge is tiring, not that he hates it here. He did enjoy working with Gobber. But just working on sharpening and crafting weapons is very annoying. Considering other teenagers have better jobs, such as hunting, fishing and training in the killing ring. Meanwhile Hiccup has to be in this closed room, which makes him unable to prove himself.

Hiccup begins honing the weapons of the Berk people. Lots of blunt weapons, not to mention weapons that need to be repaired and new weapon orders. He lifted a very large mace with great difficulty. Well, his very thin arms were very unsupportive in lifting heavy weapons. This made him unable to fight dragons.

However, Hiccup did not give up. He makes mechanical weapons to fight dragons when he has free time. One of them was a dragon's rope weapon named 'Thor's Rope' which he failed when he tried in the previous raid. It wasn't about Deadly Nadder he was targeting, but about his father and uncle Spitelout. As a result, they look like a couple hugging while sharing warmth.

His father was very angry at that time. In his father's face, Hiccup could see the anger, embarrassment, and disappointment that was so great. In fact, Hiccup is just trying to help. However, what he got was not praise but insults and ridicule. His father eventually destroys his 'Thor's Rope' weapon and renders it useless.

Hiccup continued to repair the residents' weapons and took a deep breath.

"Aye lad, let's go to lunch," said Gobber. "My stomach is already raging."

"Okay." Hiccup answered as he put down the hammer he was repairing.

Hiccup and Gobber exit The Forge and walk toward the Great Hall. Once again, the villagers stare dirty at Hiccup's presence. Hiccup who felt uncomfortable just lowered his head. Gobber, who realized this, gently pushed Hiccup's back to make him go faster.

"Come on lad, I'm really hungry."

Gobber knows of Hiccup's intimidation by the people. Many times he tried to defend him, but was stopped by Stoick who said that he had to face it alone. Gobber wanted to protest but fell silent because he didn't know what to say.

Finally they arrived at the Great Hall. Gobber pushed open the wooden door of the Great Hall and let Hiccup enter first. Hiccup can see his father sitting on the throne chatting quietly with Bucket and Mulch. It seems to be discussing fish and weather. The villagers, who were eating and chatting, felt Hiccup's presence. They sent Hiccup dirty looks again.

"Wow, that boy seems to be alive."

"I hope he gets eaten by dragons in a raid later."

Gobber cleared his throat. He sent an annoyed look at the viking who said those bad things to his students.

"Shut up Gordon or your knickers will catch fire," Gobber said irritably. "Come on Hiccup, we have to eat."

"Seriously, you're defending that half-troll kid," said Gordon irritably. "That Loki brat almost burned down my house!"

"I'm just trying to help," Hiccup said. "The tree next to your house caught fire, I tried to douse it with water,"

"Though I didn't realize the water had Zippleback gas in it." Hiccup muttered under his breath.

Gordon just snorted in annoyance. "You'd rather stay at home than go out and wreak havoc!"

"If I were the head of the tribe, I would have thrown that boy away when he was a baby!"

"Useless bastard!"

Hiccup felt anger and sadness well up inside him. How could he be treated like this by his own people. Gobber realizes that this conversation is enough, takes Hiccup away. They took their food and sat down at an empty table. They ate in an odd silence, until Stoick summoned Gobber and let Hiccup sit alone and eat with his head down.

"My, my, look who we meet here!"

That sound. That annoying sound. A voice that Hiccup didn't like at all.

Hiccup looks up and sees his cousin Snotlout with the Twins behind him. He also saw Fishlegs who was looking at him scared and Astrid who looked at him indifferently.

"What do you want Snotlout?" said Hiccup hoarsely.

Snotlout just grinned.

"I should be the one asking you, what are you doing here?" said Snotlout sneeringly. "The Great Hall only allows true Vikings to enter here, and you are an exception, you Useless!"

"Wow, again that nickname, I am very touched by your compliment," said Hiccup sarcastically. Snotlout stopped grinning and glared at Hiccup. Looks like this isn't going to end well.

"Looks like a real viking should shut your damn mouth!" cried Snotlout angrily. He sent an order for the twins to restrain his arms. Hiccup struggled trying to get away. Snotlout started hitting Hiccup in the face, stomach and other parts. Hiccup started screaming in pain. He could faintly hear the murmurs of the other vikings.

"Seriously? He can't even defend himself."

"Really weak."

"I pity Stoick getting this lousy kid."

Hiccup's aching body accompanied by his aching heart hearing the insults made him helpless. He saw his father sitting on the throne while eating regardless of the abuse his father experienced. He also saw his former best friends Fishlegs and Astrid in the distance. Fishlegs was silent in fear. Astrid just looked at him with a mocking look.

"Help me dammit!" said Hiccup to himself. "Coward!"

Snotlout punch Hiccup right in the face and everything went dark.

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Hiccup wakes up in a room, but this is not his room at home. His vision was a bit blurry and his whole body was throbbing in pain. Slowly he tried to get up and look around him. There are lots of mechanics and sketches. This is his room in Gobber's workshop. Hiccup held his aching head. He only remembered that the last time he was in the Great Hall, he had been beaten by Snotlout. Looks like he fainted. He heard the sound of an owl outside. It's late. Damn, he passed out a long time ago.

The door to his room opened to reveal Gobber limping on his wooden legs.

"Hey lad, you're awake," said Gobber, sitting down in the nearest wooden chair. "You passed out earlier, so I brought you here, it seems your father doesn't want you to sleep at his house tonight."

"Owh." Hiccup said softly while looking down.

Gobber felt sorry for this boy. He is indeed weak and helpless, but people should help and protect him. However, what he got was the opposite. Hiccup has suffered a lot at such a young age. The one-legged blacksmith saw the sadness and misery in Hiccup's eyes. Hiccup is like a biological child to him. Since childhood, Gobber has always cared for Hiccup because his father was very busy with tribal chief duties. His mother was taken when Hiccup was 1 month old. Living without parental love, makes Hiccup suffer a lot.

"Everything will be fine lad," Gobber said softly, squeezing Hiccup's small shoulder. "Everything will be fine."

There was an awkward silence between the two of them. Gobber started to get up and headed out of the room.

"How are you sure?" Hiccup muttered under his breath, making Gobber turn around again.

"Eh?"

"How can you be sure everything will be okay?" said Hiccup. His voice was a little shaky.

"Well, I'm sure-"

"EVERYTHING IS NOT FINE, GOBBER" Hiccup shouted, making the blacksmith jump in surprise. "Every day, since I was a child, I have never been valued and loved. I don't know what made me start being bullied in the first place. I may be small and weak but I always try my best to help the village. But what I get, is only ridicule and humiliation. I'm sick of Gobber. My father doesn't care about me. I was abandoned by my friends. I live alone in great sorrow. I'm sick of living Gobber. I think I'll just die. I am tired. I really am useless. I'm not the viking people want me to be. I'm not the heir the villagers expected. I'm not the son my father expected. I am a nobody. I am a nobody!"

Gobber just stood motionless after hearing Hiccup's words. Hiccup never reveals his heart to anyone. Looks like this kid can't take it anymore. Gobber saw Hiccup sobbing as he held his head in both hands. The child was devastated.

"One time," said Gobber quietly, holding Hiccup's shoulder. "You will find yourself Hiccup."

Hiccup looked up at Gobber with moist red eyes.

"Life is a mystery," said Gobber seriously. "Everyone is born with a different destiny. However, we must be patient in seeking who we really are. I'm sure, one day you will find out who you really are, why you were born in this world, and what destiny you have to live. It's only a matter of time before you find out. All I want from you right now is to be strong and not give up. I'm sure anyone with a bad past will become a legend. I believe in my words!"

"At least that's what the motivational books say." said Gobber to himself.

Hiccup stared.

"Since when did Gobber get so wise?" he thought.

"Thanks Gobber for the input." Hiccup said with a smile. "I will never give up, I promise."

Gobber smiled genuinely at Hiccup. He squeezed Hiccup's small shoulder and then patted his shoulder lightly.

"Well, it's getting late, tomorrow is a new day of new challenges, sleep well lad," Gobber said as he walked out. Hiccup just nodded and smiled.

There is at least one person on this hell island who understands it.

Slowly sleep began to fill his body and his eyes closed, taking him into an extraordinary dream.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.3K 289 27
What if Hiccup left Berk when he won the chance to kill a dragon all those years ago? Six years after Hiccups mysterious disappearance, a new Chief...
147K 3.3K 44
What if Hiccup had left after being chosen to kill the Monstrous Nightmare. After three years of being presumed dead and freeing dragons from in and...
15K 298 14
[COMPLETED][REWRITTEN] Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third as the name clearly states was a hiccup and a runt. He used to make crazy inventions to k...
40.7K 720 30
Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III a teenage Viking who earn the ranks to kill his first ever Dragon in Dragon Training. He could not kill it, he wouldn't...