Rooming with the Wicked

Galing kay allrenwrote

Switching dorms mid-semester can be a struggle, especially if your new roommates aren't human, and one of the... Higit pa

author's note
1 | home sweet home
2 | not my friends
3 | intruder alarm
4 | go fetch
5 | in the clear
6 | pretend home
7 | pay up
8 | a little research
9 | icy shower and charged light show
10 | theoretically speaking
11 | under a rock
12 | pawn
13 | where's my dew juice?
14 | lovely night for a walk
16 | a real pain
17 | a little nicer
18 | my friend
19 | behind the bookshelf
20 | uninvited guests
21 | interrogation
22 | team-building exercise
23 | tell me
24 | the exception
25 | game on
26 | sneaky
27 | take cover
28 | darkness
29 | invisible what?
30 | team eleven
31 | susie
32 | the hounds of infernis
33 | déjà vu
34 | speaking of trees
35 | playing with fire
36 | privileged information
37 | sparkly
38 | five sins
39 | own you
40 | a little closer
41 | anything suspicious
42 | can't or won't?
43 | new assistant
44 | no more chances
45 | sick of it
46 | run
47 | too good to pass up
glossary
aesthetics + art

15 | oversized kitty

628 80 429
Galing kay allrenwrote

If my aim wasn't terrible, the vial should have landed where Syn had been crouched mere seconds ago and missed him entirely. Fortunately for me, he'd probably anticipated my intention and jumped in the opposite direction. Too bad he couldn't have foreseen what a terrible throwing arm I had.

The potion flew through the air, amber drops spilling as it spiraled and spiraled until it finally shattered on the ground right between Syn's two front paws. Within milliseconds, the liquid expanded and latched onto his pitch-black form. Eyes wide and feet scrambling backward, he tried to get away, but it was too late.

Forced to watch as it encased the majority of his body, he could do nothing but snarl and hiss in protest, large black paws swatting at the gooey substance. At least until it congealed into a thick orange gunk and he could barely move three of his limbs. Save for his head, neck, right shoulder, front right leg, and one of his back paws, he was imprisoned by my little science project.

After a moment, he stopped growling and just stared at me. Even in his panther form, he looked more surprised than I felt that I actually got him.

Maybe my luck was starting to turn around.

Syn closed his eyes and took a deep breath, his whiskers quivering softly. When the goo around him started to shake, I knew he was shifting again. If he thought his human body would be any less confined, he was in for a surprise. But maybe I didn't give him enough credit and he was ready to have a civil conversation now. Funny how it took scaring me half to death and a vial of Crescetra to get us here.

I turned around and slumped against a thick-barked tree.

"What the—what is this shit?" His deep voice was something between a snarl and a cough when he finally spoke.

Even now he couldn't bother to talk to me like a normal being. Well, no problem. Unlike him, I had all the time in the world. In less than five minutes, that goo would solidify into solid rock. Good luck getting out of that, Jerk.

"Ariel?" he prompted, no less friendly. When I didn't acknowledge him, he added in a much calmer voice, "You scared me, okay?"

"I scared you?" I huffed, still refusing to look at him. "Are you kidding me? You lunged at me."

"I didn't lunge at you. You threw this—whatever this is—at me, remember?"

"Well, sorry for not waiting for some oversized kitty that happens to hate my guts to make the first move," I muttered. "And you were the one who ran after me!"

"Only because you followed me here! I thought you were—never mind. I couldn't smell you, okay? That"—he lowered his voice—"that freaked me out."

Was that a teeny tiny bit of remorse in his voice?

Something about his reaction didn't sit right with me. Apart from that clear display of attack-first-ask-questions-later mentality, he hadn't just been surprised to see me, but rather anxious like he was the one in danger. It sort of made sense considering the whole illegal portal thing, though.

"Guess that makes us even then," I said, "'cause you sure scared the crap outta me. What're you doing here anyway?"

"None of your business."

And grouchy Syn was back.

I finally turned to look at him. Yup, just like I thought, he was glaring holes into the ground with an intensity that should have set all those fallen leaves scattered around him on fire. He wanted to keep being pissed? No problem.

Although it was a little hard to take him seriously in this position—hunched over in a half-crouch with his back slumped against a tree, almost entirely encased in orange goo... Wait a second—his exposed shoulder and arm, as well as a good portion of his torso, and one of his feet peeked out from inside the mass were entirely unclothed. That meant...

I covered my eyes and hissed, "Could you like put on some clothes or something?"

"And how do you suggest I do that?" he growled back.

Fair point. Could this day get any weirder?

"It's not see-through, Ariel," he added, a little less hostile. "Calm down."

I lowered my hand. "I mean, I could get you ou—"

"Could? You better f—"

"Actually," I ground out, getting to my feet. "I'll just be on my way."

He cursed and that burning gaze settled on me. "Are you seriously gonna leave me here?"

"That depends." I shrugged. "Are you gonna stop being a jerk?"

I could practically hear him grinding his teeth as he went back to staring at the forest floor. "I can try," he replied after a moment.

The portal provided enough light for me to take in his angular facial features and lean build. The muscles in his jaw were taut and his eyes were narrowed, but there wasn't just anger and resignation in them. If I didn't know any better, the most prominent emotion was sadness.

"Did you try to kill me?" The question left my lips before I could stop myself.

His head snapped up. "What?"

I crossed my arms. "You heard me."

"D'you seriously think I was gonna hurt you?" He frowned. "I told you, I didn't recognize you."

That sounded...unexpectedly genuine.

"No." I tried to laugh it off, but it came out as more of a cough. "Just making sure."

He rolled his eyes. "Haze was right. You're a terrible liar."

The nerve.

Wait, why was Haze talking about me behind my back? Why the hell was he talking about me at all? And even worse, why did I care?

Syn chuckled quietly.

I shook my head. Focus.

"Come on," I said. "You hate me, remember?"

"First off," he sighed, "I don't hate you—'sides, Jay would have my head if I did anything to you."

Somehow I couldn't see Jaydis having anyone's head for anything. He was barely taller than me and about as frightening as a baby hellcat. But what did I know?

"Second, I don't have a death wish. You know what happens to a shifter who tries to kill an ambassador's daughter?"

So, they all knew...

"Anyway," he continued with a slight shake of his head, "me being out here has nothing to do with you, alright? And if you don't tell anyone"—he leveled me with a hard stare—"I got no reason to want you dead."

"If you're trying to convince me to get you out of that"—I gestured at his current predicament—"you're doing a terrible job."

He laughed, deep and a little insane. "I don't give a shit anymore."

There it was again, that tinge of sadness. And it probably had everything to do with that portal.

"What are you doing here, Syn?" I tried again.

"Nothing."

Why did he have to be so...difficult? "Look—"

"No, you look," he growled, straining against the hardening goo. "I. Don't. Care. So, how 'bout you just mind your own business and get outta here?"

So, he'd rather throw himself a pity party and stew in it. Well, not on my watch. I was getting my answers one way or another.

"I don't know what type of self-punishment bullshit you're trying to pull here, but I can totally continue to talk your ear off the whole night." I gave him with a pointed look. "No problem."

"For Ketea's sake, you're annoying."

"So I've been told." I smiled teeth and all. He looked more than a little hilarious stuck inside that rock. "Now get talking, or I will. Did you build that portal?"

With his free hand, he probed the nearly solid stone and scowled. "Yes."

I raised my eyebrows. "And...?"

"And nothing. It's useless."

"But I saw you with two twin crystals—"

He sighed. "They don't work. I've tried everything, but the gateway... It just won't open."

And suddenly everything made sense. Why he was out here, why he was hiding the crystals, and why he was visibly upset and unable to hide it.

"They're for Vespyrea, aren't they?" I whispered.

He didn't have to say anything. His face was confirmation enough. I probably wouldn't have known if Jaydis hadn't mentioned his friend's foul mood, and I definitely couldn't blame him now. A lifetime might not heal those wounds, and it had barely been four years.

"Syn..."

"Don't."

"I'm sorry."

"What are you sorry for?" The muscles in his forearm protruded as he clenched and unclenched his fist. "Not your fault your human ambassadors shut everything down like it never existed."

"Because there's nothing left," I said softly.

His eyes blazed. "You don't know that!"

"It's public knowledge, there's records—"

"Oh, yeah?" he growled. "What records? 'Cause we've never seen shit."

"What—what are you talking about?"

He laughed. "Nobody cares, Ariel. Don't be stupid. We're outsiders everywhere. We don't belong. Your kind doesn't want us here. Flumerra is too bright and the naiads are even more annoying than you with their stupid water therapy bullshit."

I couldn't argue with him there. All the naiads I'd met—which admittedly weren't too many—had a strange, almost obsessive relationship with water. Admittedly, that made most of them fairly easy to get along with since they never engaged in any arguments because, you know, water was calm and all. When someone pointed out the possibility of storms, they simply blamed the wind and other circumstances.

"You can't seriously be that surprised," Syn said, blinking at me.

After finding out about Kenas' father and everything going wrong in Ardua, this was just another punch in the gut. One I should have seen coming too.

"I... I guess maybe I didn't wanna believe that they"—I cleared my throat—"that my father would do that."

Syn studied me with genuine interest. "It's not just him. They all decided that. He just went along with it. Not like his vote would have made a difference."

But it would have meant something.

"I'm such an idiot," I breathed, burying my face in my hands.

"If it makes you feel any better, you're kind of okay. For a human."

Damn him and his shifter hearing.

Something between a desperate laugh and a cough escaped me. I lowered my hands and blinked at Syn, fully realizing what this was turning into. "Oh, my—are we... Are we bonding?"

"I don't bond," he growled. A moment later, he quietly added, "I don't even know how I got here."

I smiled. "You lunged at me, remember?"

He exhaled loudly through his nose. "Your word against mine. I'm the one stuck in a boulder."

Fair point. He'd earned that though.

"Naked," I added, setting my backpack down in front of me to rummage through its contents.

"Thanks for pointing that out...again," he sighed.

"Hey, since we're already doing the whole, uh, sharing thing..." I cast a quick glance in his direction to gauge his reaction. "How'd you get those crystals? Weren't they supposed to be destroyed?"

"Technically, yes." He nodded. "Most of them were. I guess, I always hoped these ones would work because they didn't destroy them..."

My hands finally found the plastic water bottle I was looking for. "There has to be a reason they kept them."

"I don't know... Anyway, unused and archived twin crystals are kept in a secure vault in the ambassador's headquarters in New York." He bit his lip. "I may have had a little help getting my hands on them."

"There's no point in me asking who helped you, is there?"

"Nope."

"Figures," I muttered. Weirdly enough, that made me like him a little. "Truce?"

He pointedly eyed his sandstone prison. "Not like I have much of a choice here."

I arched a brow.

"Fine," he muttered.

I handed him the bottle. "It's water-soluble. I'm going back to school."

His face was priceless.

Smiling to myself, I retrieved my blue lux crystal, threw my backpack over my shoulder, and made my way back through the forest.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

243 5 13
Pain, blood and death are nothing new in this world. What makes it lethal? Vengeance and bloodthirst in this world of sinners. But what happens when...
13K 1.7K 57
{WATTYS 2021 SHORTLIST} Welcome to the Practitioner's Guild, where magic is a deadly business. Torren-a college senior and Practitioner of the Magic...
Shadows Galing kay Mariam

Mystery / Thriller

913 143 34
"I'm telling you that I'm not just being paranoid, everything leads to this. You're my best friend, and you have to believe me, I'm not imagining thi...