Dream // Van McCann

By fading-memories

Sequel to REM. Please read REM before reading this story or it won't make sense. "Look me in the eyes and tel... More

1. 8 Years
2. Where I Left Off
3. I'm Sorry
4. Day Off
5. You Can't Run From Your Past
6. My Own Two Eyes
7. You're a Fucking Genius
8. I'd Do Anything
9. Missed Call
10. Doll
11. It's Nice to Finally Meet You
12. We Never Forget
13. She Knows
14. She Doesn't Understand
15. It's Not Too Late
16. Not Again!
17. I'm Proud of You
18. Who Do You Think You Are?
19. More Complicated Than It Needs to Be
20. Be Careful
21. Mia
22. The Life You've Always Wanted
24. I Feel the Same Way
25. Rafael
26. I Finally Understand
27. Stronger Than You Think
28. My Mind's Made Up
29. I'm Just Looking
30. I Miss Him
31. This Is the One
32. Congratulations
33. Blessing
34. Enjoy This Moment
35. So That's It Then
36. Everything I Imagined and More
37. I've Got Something for You
38. Love Always

23. I Can't Be Upset at You

35 1 4
By fading-memories

Warning: This chapter contains an attempted suicide attempt by hanging. Please don't read if you're uncomfortable.

-

Telling Florence what happened was oddly comforting. She was surprised that meeting Mia in the park worked and that she was quick to trust me despite having never met me. At the end, I asked Florence what she thought and if she thinks Clara would ever come around.

"It's possible," she said. "She just has a lot to process. I was thinking you could tell her the good things that could come out of it. The woman who died can be reunited with her family and be given a proper burial. Mia can finally meet her grandparents and Clara doesn't have to hide anymore."

"Do you think they'll get in trouble for lying to the police and government?" I questioned. That was the part that worried me the most.

"It's not really their fault, is it? Well they could've come forward a long time ago but the government put them in this situation. Do you think the government will admit wrongdoing? It just goes to show how poorly the whole case was handled."

"How about the media coverage once the entire world catches wind of it? She lives a very quiet and private life and is gonna be a media sensation." She's not going to like being interrogated and papped everywhere she goes. Florence was stumped at this one as it took a while for her to respond.

"I don't think she'll like it one bit but if she gives it some time, the hype will eventually go away."

-

The next day.

Florence and I decided to spend the whole day together exploring Lagos. I wanted to give Clara some time to think, and truth be told, I was at a loss for what to do. Florence spent most of yesterday walking around so I felt terrible we were going to the same places she's already been. She was already becoming an expert tour guide for Lagos.

"We should eat at this restaurant one of these days," she said, pointing to a restaurant across the street. "They serve traditional Portuguese food with a twist! His wife is Japanese and they're both classically trained chefs so they've created a Portuguese-Japanese fusion restaurant."

I took a moment to think. I already know what Portuguese and Japanese food are like but when I tried to put them together, my mind drew a complete blank. The only thing in common I could think of was the shared love for seafood but one is cooked and the other is raw. I've got nothing against raw fish but it wasn't part of my diet growing up so it takes some getting used to.

Once we were done exploring the city, we took an Uber to the cliffs again. Although we've been here many times before, it still felt new to us but with mixed feelings. It was times like this that I wish I could wipe my mind clean and start new again.

Florence's grip on my arm tightened when we approached the lighthouse. It was clear she feared a repeat of last time but I put my hand over hers and told her I was fine. Eventually, we made our way towards the cliff and my eyes strained to see if I could see a flower on the rock. There was none and I couldn't help but feel disappointed.

"So that's where you are!" I turned around to see Mia out of breath as if she ran all the way here. "You weren't at the park today." I didn't want to tell her it was a Tuesday and I wasn't expecting her at the park.

"How'd you find me?" I asked. Lagos isn't the biggest city per se but I could've literally been anywhere.

"Ponta da Piedade is one of the biggest attractions here. I figured if you weren't at the park, you were probably here," she answered. Her eyes went to Florence who stood there shocked. "Is that your girlfriend?"

"Yes, this is my girlfriend Florence." Florence let go of my arm and offered her hand to Mia.

"You must be Mia. Van has told me all about you," Florence said, shaking her hand gently. It must be strange for Mia to meet Florence and vice versa. I know it takes a while for Florence to get over the shock of my dreams being somewhat accurate.

"Are you going to visit my mom again?" Mia asked.

"I—I wasn't planning on it," I replied. As soon as I saw Mia's disappointment, I quickly spoke again. "Er—it's too soon, isn't it? She needs some space."

"She's been acting strange since you left. Even dad noticed." This piqued my curiosity.

"How so?"

Mia stopped to think. "She's been quiet and not paying attention. She left the stove on last night and dad got upset. I need you to talk to my mom!"

"I don't think that's a good idea. It'll only make things worse."

"She wants to see you!" she blurted and I was shocked into silence.

Never in a million years did I think she'd want to see me again. It brought me back to that one night we had a row after dinner, that one day I decided to have dinner with her parents. I was scared to approach her in fear of making things worse but I do recall her anticipating seeing me and wanting me to kiss her, but she was drunk, mind you. This is entirely different.

It turns out Mia can be quite convincing. She had somehow managed to convince me to come back. I just thought after Clara had some time to think that she'd be open to the idea of slowly fixing things. The changes aren't going to happen overnight, I know that, but any progress—no matter how small—is progress regardless.

I wanted Florence to come with me but she was adamant about having it just be the both of us. She feared her presence would make things worse. We argued about it for a bit but then realized we had an audience so I gave in. I had the driver drop Florence off at the hotel before dropping us off at Clara's house.

Without hesitation, Mia quickly ran up to the doorstep and unlocked the front door, pushing the door wide open so I could step in. I peered cautiously inside looking for Clara but didn't see her. Mia wasted no time looking for her mum. She went to the kitchen but came out of the other end empty-handed.

"She must be upstairs," she muttered, heading up. Her footsteps echoed until I couldn't hear her anymore and a moment later, I could hear her screaming. "MOM!" She was crying and shouting which alarmed me so I quickly ran up the stairs after her.

The scene I walked into was horrific. Clara was dangling from the ceiling, kicking her feet while Mia desperately tried to hold onto her. I quickly grabbed Clara's torso and held her up. The fact that she was using her hands to fight me was a good thing.

"Leave me alone!" Clara cried out but most of it came out in a gurgle. I could see the chair she stood on kicked onto its side.

"Mia, put the chair right under us!" I shouted. Despite her crying and being in shock, she surprisingly listened. I got a good grip of Clara, stepped onto the chair, and quickly unhooked the cloth noose from around her neck. Clara's face was red and hot with tears.

"You should've just let me die!" she sobbed. I hugged her from behind and gently set her down so that she was sitting on the chair. Her neck was red from where the cloth had dug in and every breath took a lot of effort.

"And what? Let Mia grow up without a mum? What about Rafael?" I asked, not realizing I was shouting. I tried to be more understanding of her situation and to try to put myself in her shoes but couldn't. She was being selfish taking the easy way out to let her family deal with the rest. I moved until I was right in front of her and knelt down.

"Clara, look at me," I said to her. Her eyes were downcast, avoiding me but I continued anyway. "This isn't the answer. I know it seems like you have no choice but it won't be as bad as it seems and I'll be with you the entire way. That is if you'll have me." I'm probably the last person she wants to see but I want her to know that I'm here for her. However, I can't help her if she doesn't want to be helped.

"How's your breathing? Are you alright? Do I need to take you to the hospital?" I asked, watching her carefully. The color was returning to her face and her breathing was getting steady. All that remained was the red mark on her neck and I wondered how she'd explain it to Rafael.

"I'm alright. Please don't take me to the hospital," she begged. It was clear based on her tone that she was terrified of going to the hospital. They'll take anyone in but they'll ask for ID. It made me sad to think she's neglected her health this entire time. She hasn't seen any kind of doctor for 8 years. If something serious happened, would she rather die than seek treatment?

"Are you telling the truth? Are you in any pain? Do you have difficulty breathing?" I continued. Clara shook her head and there was nothing alarming about her condition so I relaxed a little. Mia must've caught her mum at the right moment. It was terrifying to think that if we got here any later, Clara wouldn't be with us anymore.

Speaking of Mia, no one should ever see their parent attempt to take their own life. She's too young to understand why her mother would do such a thing and that memory will stay with her forever, and mine. Mia walked up to her mum.

"Are you okay?" she asked quietly.

"Yes, sweetie, I'm okay. Thank you for asking. And you? How are you doing?" Clara tucked her daughter's hair behind her ear with shaky hands and then kissed her daughter on the head.

"I'm scared. Promise me you won't do that again."

Clara was brought to tears again. "I promise. You are my whole world." She opened her arms and Mia went in for a hug.

It was nice seeing Clara as a mum, not that I didn't think she'd be one, but it's not often that I see this side of her. She was always afraid to be a mum, thinking she'd never be good enough but it comes naturally to her.

The strongest love I've ever seen is a mother's love for their child. Even though Clara just attempted to take her life, something told me she wouldn't try again after seeing how much it terrified her daughter. Her love for Mia is endless; she literally sacrificed everything to have her and to lose her means she has nothing left.

"Yesterday, you said to me: 'look me in the eyes and tell me this is the life you've always wanted and I'll walk away. Just like that.'" It took me a moment to realize that Clara was talking to me and I was surprised to see her looking right at me. "No matter how much I try, I can't be upset at you. There will always be a part of me that loves you. I admit this isn't the life I want but I don't know what to do."

The truth is, I don't know what to do either but the nice thing I've learned is that you're never quite alone. I stood up and held my hand out. Clara eyed my hand and looked up at me. Then she surprised me by wrapping her hand around mine.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

519K 6.7K 87
on my block [this is an PREFERENCE/IMAGINE book- not an actual story. if you dont like that then don't read babe.]
47.3K 2.3K 34
This is the second book to my DreamSMP x reader. If you didn't read the first book yet, please do so before reading this One. In this Book we'll look...
2K 54 9
This is book two. BTW SO UHH GO TO THE BOOK CALLED SIREN. Ty for reading my books <3 I write warning on first chapter and info. : >
96.6K 4.7K 30
The sequel to endermen :)))