The Summer Home

By PJLowry

Peter loves taking his family up a cottage by the beach every summer. Yet with stressing deadlines and fate f... More

1. Driving Out
2. Settling In
3. The Accident
5. The New Kid
6. Grand Theft Auto
7. I Fought The Law
8. Pancake Therapy
9. Community Service
10. Even More Service
11. Truth In Books
12. Back On The Wall
13. Out For Lunch
14. Browsing For Books
15. The Family Dinner
16. Back At The Bridge
17. Forgive And Forget
18. The New Family

4. The Decision

10 0 0
By PJLowry

     As the cell phone rang Peter was so exhausted that he didn't hear it ring at first because he was almost passed out on the waiting room couch. He sat back up, looked at the cell, and realized that only a few hours had passed since Nathan arrived. He looked to also realize who was calling, and quickly picked up the call.

     "Sonya," Peter started, "I meant to call you back."

     "That's alright baby," Sonya said with a voice that let know Peter that she understood and had his back. He always felt better when he knew she was behind him in any situation.

     "How is she doing?" she asked him.

     "Not well," Peter said, as he looked around to make sure sensitive ears were not close enough to overhear what he was about to say. "I talked with the surgeon in charge of the case, and they've already declared her brain dead. There's zero activity, which means she's already gone."

     "Oh no," Sonya said, clearly saddened to hear the news, "I'm so sorry Peter. I know you two didn't get along, but I know you would never wish this on anyone."

     "I know," Peter agreed, as he stood up and walked over to the window. He had something else to say: "I was also informed that Christina hadn't updated her will since the divorce, which gives me power of attorney."

     "Jesus, Peter," Sonya cursed, as she could tell where this is going. "Your son will never forgive you if you pull the plug on his mother. Haven't you two screwed up your relationship enough already?"

     "All good points, dear." Peter agreed, despite her manner in expressing it.

     Sonya knew things were bad between Peter and his son, but even she could see how ugly things could get if Peter used his authority in a very awkward situation. It's every man's dream to take out the woman that screwed him over in divorce court, but the truth was Peter didn't feel that way. Peter still loved his son, and he would rather be nagged by Christina for decades to come rather than put his boy through what was about to happen to him. Despite his feelings about the woman, it was his son's mother and even he would admit this was too soon for him to say goodbye to her.

     "I'm not going to do this alone," Peter told her. "I'm going to let everyone present have a say. This will be a democracy, not a dictatorship."

     "That's a good call," Sonya said, approving of his strategy.

     "Peter," Shannon said, as she walked close.

     Peter turned to face his former sister-in-law and held a hand up.

     "Honey, I've got to go." Peter said to his wife, "Loves ya too."

     "I spoke with the doctors," Shannon started, "They told me everything. What are we going to do about this?"

     "We're all going to talk about this together, everyone." Peter informed her. "Unless everyone is on the same page, nothing happens."

     "Oh, thank you." Shannon said as she walked over and hugged him. Peter didn't have to listen to them, but wasn't in the mood to fight anyone, especially in front of Nathan considering he's about to get some very shitty news.

     Peter and Shannon sat at the back of the Christina's room and watched as the doctor came in and informed everyone else who was there of the situation: the patient's brain was no longer functioning, and her body was just an empty shell. They didn't say it that crudely, but the words weren't what upset everyone rather than the content that informed them all that their loved one was already gone.

     "So, what happens now?" Nathan asked.

     "What do you mean?" his uncle replied.

     "Who's in charge here?" The boys asked.

     "That would be your father." Shannon answered.

     "Oh, that's such bullshit!" Nathan asked.

     "Hey!" Shannon snapped back before anyone else could. "Language!"

     Despite how Nathan felt about everyone else, he still liked his aunt. "Sorry."

     Peter stood up and walked closer to his son. "Nothing is going to happen. Not yet. We'll talk about it this and come to a decision together."

     "I'm surprised you don't want to pull the plug to charge your cell phone." Nathan snidely said to his father. Clearly there was no love between the two at this point. Peter could sense the crude bitterness in his tone. Clearly the teenager was wishing it was him in the bed without brain function rather than his mother. At the very moment, to be honest, everyone else in the room was wishing for that too. Even Peter.

     "No," Peter answered, not taking the child's bait. "Even though your mother's will put me in charge, no one is doing anything until we all have a chance to talk about it. Everyone here is going to have a chance to say what they want to do before any decisions are made."

     "Like you'll listen to any of us." Nathan replied, "I bet you're all in favor of pulling the plug and ending her right now!"

     "As a matter of fact, I am." Peter replied, well aware that his response took everyone in the room by surprise.

     "You bastard!" Nathan jumped up and tried to punch his own father. Peter avoided the shot, and then both he and his brother-in-law fought Nathan back to his own chair and sat him down.

     "I'm not the only one in favor of pulling the plug," Peter said.

     "Who else is?" Nathan asked, eager to give them a piece of his disgruntled mind.

     "Your mother," Peter reached into his pocket and pulled out his wallet. He fished through it for a few moments and then pulled out a card. He reached out and handed it to his son who reluctantly took it. It was his organ donation card.

     "Why the hell are you showing me this?" Nathan asked.

     "Because it's quite relevant," Peter started as he took it back. "Your mother got her card the same day I got this one. We have always been strong supporters of organ donation, which is why she had one of those cards filled out too. We could wait for her to expire but that's not what she wanted. If this kind of situation ever occurred, she wanted to help others if there was nothing we could do for her. She wanted her tragedy to be the saving grace of others. Keeping her alive until her organs are no longer viable is not what she wanted. She was quite clear about this most of her life, and I think you know that too."

     Nathan put his head down into his hands and started to cry. What his father just said did remind him of a conversation he had with her about it a while back. She was a strong supporter for donation because she always believed in helping people less fortunate than herself. It was one of the things that Nathan loved about his mother. He hopped back out of the chair and stormed out of the room. It was clear that while he agreed with the decision being made, that didn't mean he had to like it. No one could blame the kid for being upset, as he was about to lose the only parent he lived with for the last several years. The very woman that brought him into this world.

     "Anyone else?" Peter said as he looked around the room. No one raised any objections as the knew he was telling the truth.

     "Alright," Peter said, taking a deep breath. "Everyone please take whatever time you need to say goodbye, and we'll pull it after that."

     Peter left the room to give his ex-wife's family time to be with her in private. Even though he knew his son probably wanted to be left alone, he knew this was the one moment when he had to try to help the boy come to terms with what was going on before it was too late. He found Nathan sulking in the waiting room, pacing around like a caged animal.

     "Nathan," Peter called out, "Do you want to go in there, take a moment to say good-bye to your mother?"

     Nathan stopped pacing and looked back at his father with red eyes that were almost as exhausted as the young man was.

     "So, you're really going to do it?" Nathan asked him.

     "It's what she wanted," Peter reminded him, "And you know it."

     "Oh, piss off!" Nathan said, as he had no where to direct his anger.

     "I know this hurts," Peter said, resisting the urge to reach out him, "But I know what you're going through. You were too young to remember when grandma passed. I wish I could tell you it gets better, but it would be a lie. You learn to live with it, but it will always be there."

     "What's the point then?" Nathan asked.

     "The point is you've got something I never did," Peter continued, "You have a chance to walk in there as say good-bye. Don't waste it, because you need to add regrets onto that weight you're already going to carry around."

     "She can't hear us!" Nathan reminded him, "She's already gone."

     "I'm not a religious person," Peter said, "But there are people out there, including your aunt, who believe that's not true. So, for your aunt's sake and even your mother's, get in there and say good-bye."

     Nathan wanted to say something else, but resisted the urge and knew his father was right. There were more people in there that could use his support and he cared enough to do the right thing. He didn't say anything else to his father and stormed off back to the room to be with his mother. Peter chose not to go in, and staying out there in the hallway for almost a half hour, before Shannon came out to get him.

     "We're ready," she told him.

     Peter walked back into the room with the doctors, and nodded to the man to let him know it was time. The doctor didn't actually pull any plugs; as Peter had already signed the forms necessary to harvest all of the woman's organs. They would keep her alive until she went into the OR and then die on the table after all her vital organs were removed. Everyone was crying as the woman was wheeled out of the room, but Peter stood there and let them. He would have felt the same if it was his sister and he was there for them if they needed anything. Peter also knew it was going to take Nathan a long time to get over it, but it also wasn't easy for Peter either. This was one of the hardest things he ever had to do, as he also had a tear in his eye as the woman he once committed his life to was rushed down the hallway towards the OR to do their work. While it felt like Nathan was never going to forgive him for it, Peter knew the boy was young and inexperienced. Hopefully time would mend the bridge that separated them, but he knew it was going to take a lot of time. Yet this was something the young man was going to have to take care of not only for himself, but for his recently deceased mother as well. She would never want him to live on his own without family. Nathan was still sitting in the room and while he had some tears of his own, refusing to let anyone near him. After a few moments, he stood up and looked at his uncle.

     "So, when do you want me to move in?" he asked his uncle.

     Peter took that as the slap in the face as it was intended to be but he wasn't going to back down, not this time.

     "I don't think so, sport." His uncle replied, "That's not how it works."

     "What the hell does that mean?" Nathan asked.

     "You're only fourteen," Shannon reminded him.

     "That means your custody falls to me," Peter informed the young boy. "Your mother's will make it very clear, in the event of passing full guardianship fell to me."

     Nathan eyes went wide with shock. "You cannot be serious!"

     "I already called my lawyer," Peter said as he waved his smartphone around. "Your mother's will was quite specific. Full custody automatically falls me."

     "I don't have to take this!" Nathan said, as he wasn't taking the news well.

     "You don't have a choice." Peter informed him, "Don't make me call Ray because I can assure you, he will not hesitate to drag you to the summer home kicking and screaming if he has to."

     Nathan looked at his father in silence and seemed to want to say something but considering the situation, he knew it was best to keep quiet for now.

     "Relax," Peter continued, "We are not leaving till the end of the week. You'll have more than enough time to get ready, but you are coming back with me to the summer home. Is that understood?"

     Nathan never took his eyes off his father and while he wanted to say something, his uncle was there to pat him on the shoulder and walk him down the hall to speak with him about it.

     "I'm sorry." Peter said to his sister-in-law as he gave her a hug and held her while she shed a tear for her sister.

     Peter didn't want to fight at this point, but he wasn't going to give Nathan the impression that he was going to be allowed to make his own decisions at his age. If Nathan had said nothing, Peter would have waited to bring up the subject himself but that still wouldn't have changed a thing. All the freedom Nathan enjoyed while he was staying with his mother was ending abruptly. Nathan's reckless, immature behavior was in dire need of a wake-up call and the phone was ringing loudly. Peter was dead serious about calling Ray to drag the boy back to the summer home kicking and screaming, as this Sheriff was the kind of lawman who would enjoy that kind of activity. Peter was happy to see that might not be necessary, as it seemed that Christina's brother wasn't going to challenge him and was well aware that custody of Nathan would be with his father, no question.

     The hard part for Peter was actually going to be breaking the new to Sonya and the kids back at the summer home. Talking to her on the phone later that night, Sonya took the news of their new resident much better than he thought she was going to. The truth was Sonya was smart enough to understand that custody would likely to go Peter in the event the other parent passed away. She suggested they use the pullout couch for now until they could purchase another bed and then have Nathan and Jacob share a room since his room was big enough to handle them. Peter was iffy about packing the two boys into the room, but sleeping on the couch all summer wasn't a very fair option either. Making them share a room could also help them bond, Sonya also suggested. Peter didn't know if forcing the issue would help but it was their best option at the moment. If necessary, he could speak to Ray about expanding the summer home, and maybe paying for some of the renovations if necessary.

     Peter spent the next few days talking to professionals and making preparations for Christina's funeral. Christina's family wanted to contribute but Peter knew they didn't have the means to do that without stretching themselves thin. Peter had the means to make it happen and insisted on taking care of everything himself. He of course went out of his way to let Christina's sisters participate as much as possible to pick things and have their preference as they knew better to what their sister would have wanted. Peter didn't really offer any opposition at all; what they wanted was what they got. It was the least he could do to make sure things were done right.

     Peter offered to let Sonya and the kids fly up for the service, but she declined. She believed the last thing she things Christina's family wanted to see was the second wife, which could bring up some bitterness from what happened in the past. Peter really did appreciate the fact that his wife was going out of her way to be respectful. He also knew that she was probably busy preparing for Nathan's arrival and she would have to explain to the girls what happened. Peter felt bad not being there to help out, as it was the first time they would have to explain the concept of death to the girls. Yet the girls were smart, and he knew Sonya's training as a teacher would be just right when explaining it all to them.

     Four days after her passing, Christina Anderlini was laid to rest in the same cemetery that most of her family was buried. There were a lot of sad faces and not a dry eye during in the in-church service. Peter went out of his way to make sure there was a performer booked to play one of Christina's favorite songs while they did a photo show that showed the deceased throughout her life. It was a moving tribute and each person who stepped up had nothing but kind words to say before finally the service ended. Peter and Nathan walked behind the casket as it was being carried out of the church. As he exited the church and watched as the pallbearers put the casket into the car, Peter walked up to his son that was watching the same thing. Peter stood just behind Nathan.

     "We have a place ready for you at the summer house," Peter reminded him, "I hope you've had a chance to pack your bags."

     "I really don't have a choice in the matter, do I?" Nathan finally asked after making his father wait a few seconds for his answer.

     "No," Peter confirmed. "You do not."

     "What if I get the police involved?" Nathan asked.

     "That would be difficult considering your godfather Ray is the local Sheriff." Peter replied, "If anything, Ray has the authority to solicit the local police to help us drag you there."

     Peter didn't want to rub it in, but he was intent to make his stand as early as possible and establishing his authority. He wouldn't publicly judge the way Christina raised their son on her own, but he refused to be walked all over like she was when Nathan was entering his teens.

     "My bags are with my uncle." Nathan eventually said, "I brought them from the house."

     It was obvious to Peter that the young man didn't relish the idea of leaving the city for the summer. There was no need to worry school because the accident had occurred at the beginning of summer. That at least gave everyone a few months to get reacquainted before having to worry about the coming school year.

     "Good man." Peter said as he patted his son on the shoulder.

     It might have been too soon as Nathan responded by just walking away. All Peter could do was deeply sigh, fully aware that he had his work cut out for him. The kid hated his guts and even that was a complete understatement. Peter had no misconceptions about how this summer was going to be a little different, as Nathan wasn't going to make anything easy for anyone. While he was tempted to crack down on the kid as hard as he could, Peter still had to cut Nathan a shred of slack because of all he'd been through. Just like the rest of his family, they were mourning the loss of one of their own. After the burial service was completed, Nathan went to his uncle's car to grab his bags. He never said a single word to Peter as he tossed the bags in the back of his father's car and then sat in the passenger seat. Peter took a deep breath and knew this was the beginning of something that wasn't going to be very pleasant. He had been asking for Nathan to come out to the summer home for years, and now due to circumstances beyond their control he was about to get his wish. Peter watched the teenager sit in the car and while he looked amazing in the suit he was wearing for the service; he knew it was a cover for the brat that was going to rebel and go out of his way to make his father's summer a living hell. He felt for Sonya and the kids, but Peter was not going to walk out on his son. He didn't have a choice when he ended his marriage with Christina, but Nathan was his blood. He was family, and Peter had never stopped trying to be a part of his life. He tired to do things with him like see movies or sports events, but Nathan never wanted to. Peter was hoping this summer was going to be the beginning of a new relationship with his son. He knew things was going to get worse before it got better, and Peter was willing to weather the storm in order to mend things with his first child. He had no idea what he was getting himself into but stepped into the car and get things started.

     There was no time like the present. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.6K 179 45
--completed- Mariella looks forward to going to the beach house every single year. She's gone with her friends for as long as she can remember. The s...
189 6 7
Eliza is going through torture as her boyfriend continues to be hidden. Will they ever be reunited? Spending a summer at her beach house Eliza starts...
319K 8.9K 20
A cute little romance on a beach in Australia ☼ 18-year-old Indy has finally returned to her mother's pretty little beachfront cottage, where she use...
309K 22.3K 73
(Complete) Peter isn't prepared for the reality of another man spending the night with his ex. He should be, but his heart has never let her go. Pet...