His Sweet Revenge

By imiswrites

Grayson Wallace is out for revenge. As the son of a well known serial killer, Grayson has a reputation that... More

Playlist.
Chapter 1.
Chapter 3.
Chapter 4.
Chapter 5.
Chapter 6.
Chapter 7.
Chapter 8.
Chapter 9.
Chapter 10.
Chapter 11.
Chapter 12.
Chapter 13.
Chapter 14.
Chapter 15.
Chapter 16.
Chapter 17.
Chapter 18.
Chapter 19.
Chapter 20.
Chapter 21.
Chapter 22.
Chapter 23.
Chapter 24.
Chapter 25.
Chapter 26.
Chapter 27.
Chapter 28.
Chapter 29.
Chapter 30.
Chapter 31.
Chapter 32.
Chapter 33.
Chapter 34.
Chapter 35.
Chapter 36.
Chapter 37.
Chapter 38.
Chapter 39.
Chapter 40.
Chapter 41.
Chapter 42.
Chapter 43.
Chapter 44.
Chapter 45.
Chapter 46.
Chapter 47.
Chapter 48.
Chapter 49.
*Bonus Chapter* Chapter 50.

Chapter 2.

9.6K 174 71
By imiswrites

I've always been an early bird, even at times I don't want to be. I head downstairs, certain no one can be awake yet.

I'm surprised to find Hale in the kitchen, pouring himself a cup of coffee.

"Good morning," he smiles, bringing the steaming mug of coffee to his mouth. "You're up early."

"Yeah, I was just about to head out for a run," I say, sitting down at the table to put my runners on.

Hale thinks about something for a moment. "Do you think you have a few minutes to talk?"

"Um ... sure." I'm not really sure what he wants to talk about but I follow him outside to the backyard anyway.

He sits down on the bench by the fire pit. I sit down next to him.

"What did you want to talk about?"

Hale takes a sip of his coffee. "Your mom said you were a little quiet at dinner last night."

"Oh, yeah. I was just tired, that's all."

"Is he giving you a hard time?"

"Who, Grayson?"

Hale nods and I'm unsure of how to respond.

"No." I don't know if it's a lie or the truth. "I mean, we barely talked."

"He has a tendency to make people dislike him before they get the chance to think otherwise. Don't take it personally. But ... if it becomes a problem for you don't hesitate to let me know. I'll deal with it."

Does it honestly have the potential to become a problem? It sure sounds like it does.

It's quiet, the sun illuminating the horizon in a beautiful pink and yellow sunrise.

"He doesn't even want to be here. He wanted to spend his summer in the city with his friends."

So, why is he here? "All right," I nod. "Is that all?"

Hale thinks something over. "I don't really want any issues this summer. Could you try to stay out of his way?"

You don't have to ask me twice, I think. Instead of saying anything I nod again. I don't even feel like going on a run anymore. Why does Hale think there will be issues between me and Grayson?

I head back up to the house knowing I should still run to keep my head clear. A brain working in overdrive is not a good look for me.

"What were you guys talking about?"

"Shit!" I yell, holding my heart that's suddenly racing a mile a minute. Grayson stands there in the kitchen, leaning on the counter, watching me. "Didn't anyone ever tell you not to sneak up on people?"

"I technically didn't sneak up on you. You just didn't know I was in the kitchen."

"Don't be a smartass. Nobody likes a smartass."

Grayson takes a few steps toward me. "Then it's a good thing I'm not here to be liked."

"Why are you here?" I find myself asking.

He shrugs, putting his hands into the pockets of his plaid pajama pants. I can't help but notice the way the muscles in his arms tighten. "I thought it was obvious. What? You don't see right through me?"

"No. And that bothers me."

I can hear him release a breath. "I figured as much."

"You never answered my question," I say, meeting his eyes.

"You never answered mine either."

My gaze travels to the backyard. Hale is still out there drinking his coffee in front of the fire pit. "The wedding. We were just talking about the wedding."

Grayson takes a few more steps toward me. "I feel like you're lying to me."

"Why is that?"

"Because you can't even look me in my eyes."

When I do find his eyes, they're dark and intense. It feels like he's digging deep into my soul with his gaze, unraveling me, and I don't like it.

"That's fine. You don't have to tell me the truth if you don't want to," he says, suddenly right in front of me. A part of me finds it hard to believe that it's fine because his facial expression is certainly telling me otherwise.

"I'm not lying to you. Why would I lie? I barely know you."

"Hm." I think that's a laugh but he doesn't smile, his jaw is set, and he has a look in his eyes that should send me running. I almost do, whimpering with my tail between my legs. "For your own good, I hope that's true."

"Are you threatening me?" I ask, incredulous.

"You can't threaten someone who's already afraid of you. You can merely string any words together and they'll have the same effect. Every time."

He walks away back towards the staircase. "You don't make any sense," I whisper to myself.

— — —

The locals are extreme partygoers in the summertime, and I've been invited to one tonight. My mom is still on my back about seeing my dad tomorrow before he leaves Friday.

Honestly? I don't want to. He hasn't even texted me or called me himself so why should I? He's probably hanging out and spending his last minutes with his new family.

"You ready?" Iris asks, peeking into my room.

I wipe my finger underneath my eye to brush away a speck of mascara. "Ready."

Her glistening tan skin is dressed in jean shorts, a halter top, and cowboy boots. I've always admired how well she tans in the summer. It must come from her mom, Caroline.

"Where's Ted tonight?" Iris laughs, her boot heels clicking as we make our way downstairs.

"Am I supposed to know who that is?"

"Layla, I love you, baby. Ted Bundy."

I almost come to a halt. "That's extremely fucked up."

She laughs some more and I can't seem to find the humor in her joke. "Okay, I'm sorry. Where's Grayson?"

"You should keep quiet. He likes to lurk."

"Oh." She bites her lip. "What a thrill."

I don't even realize I'm clenching my jaw until we make it outside.

"You know I'm only joking," she smirks.

"A part of me thinks you're not."

Iris cackles as Brett's jeep turns on and we walk across the lawn towards the car.

"How come Layla gets invited to parties and we don't?" Brett frowns at his sister.

"Have you seen her?"

I blush slightly, pushing Iris's head from the back seat.

"Well, Ty has been obsessed with her since freshman year," Brett adds, pulling out of the driveway. "He probably still is. He could be your date to the wedding."

I laugh. "I will not be bringing Ty Bennet to my mom's wedding."

"You can't fly solo, Brett and I agree on with that. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity so we need to find you a boyfriend this summer."

I shift in my seat. "I'd rather not, guys."

Brett sighs with a hint of disappointment. "Don't tell me you're still hung up on Liam."

"I am not still hung up on Liam."

Maybe I should tell them that he cheated on me. I mean, I've wanted to multiple times, but I just can't get myself to do it. They're my cousins and I know they would have my back but I feel like once I say it out loud it's true, and I'm not ready for it to be true.

"Why'd you guys ever break up anyway? I liked Liam, he was sweet," Iris says from the passenger seat.

Because he's a douchebag who cheated on me just like how my dad cheated on my mom. "I can give you his number."

Iris chuckles. "Don't be an asshole."

I don't really feel like talking the rest of the car ride so I let Iris and Brett chat away. When we arrive at Ty's place the house is crowded. People are loitering around on the porch, cups in their hands, laughing and making noise.

"Are we splitting up or staying together?" Iris asks as we make our way up to the house.

I shrug. "It's up to you."

"Let's meet back here on the porch at midnight."

Brett and I nod before we all split up and go our separate ways.

"Layla!" Ty exclaims as I enter the living room. I can't help but notice how it smells like sweat and beer. "You made it."

"Are you kidding? Ty Bennet throws the best parties in town, I wouldn't miss it."

Ty laughs. "It's true. How about I get you a drink?"

"No, thanks. I'll probably be driving later."

"You sure?"

"Totally," I nod.

He smiles at me and for a moment all I see is Liam. They look alike, and that throws me off. Luckily his friends pull him back into their conversation and I make my exit. The kitchen is somewhat empty, a few people are scattered and there are open drinks everywhere.

I head towards the back but something catches my eye. Grayson is in the backyard. What the hell is he doing here?

I step into the backyard. "Grayson?"

"Layla?" He sounds surprised when he asks it. No one else is out here. It's just him, sitting at the edge of a lounge chair, staring into the pool water.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"I could ask you the same thing."

"I was invited," I say.

"You should go. It's not a good time to be here right now."

I'm taken aback by what he just said. "Why is that?"

He gets up from the chair and saunters over to me, a hand in his pocket. "Do you have to know everything?"

"Yes, I do."

He grabs the lock of hair I braided and runs it between his fingers. I almost want to push his hand away. "You should go home," he says so softly my chills are back.

Before I have the chance to respond a group of boys are walking out of the house, laughing loudly. They stiffen when they see Grayson.

"Wallace?" One of them starts, I think that's Noah Anderson.

"You know these people?" I ask, surprised.

"No, I don't," Grayson replies, his voice hard.

"Come on, man. Don't play around."

"How about you shut the fuck up."

The boys stumble around, laughing, and it's clear they've had too much to drink.

"I think I drank too much," one of them burps, slurring his words. "Do you guys see Grayson Wallace or is it just me?"

None of them respond to that and I'm just perplexed wondering how these people know Grayson.

"Go home, Layla." There's so much force in his voice that I'm actually tempted to do what he says.

"Layla can stay if she wants to." Now I'm sure it's Noah.

"Don't make me beat the shit out of you, Anderson."

Noah chuckles. "I'd like to see you fucking try."

"Careful," another warns with a smirk. "He might go all M.W. on your ass."

I see Grayson's body stiffen, watching his fists clench, and I know that idiot just hit a nerve. But instead of reacting he grabs my wrist with his grip tight and tries to drag me away.

"What are you doing? Let me go." I try to pull out of his hold but he's too strong.

"Take a hint, buddy. She wants you to let her go," Noah says, standing up and approaching us.

"Back the fuck up," Grayson demands, holding his other arm out.

"She's pretty."

"Yeah. I know all about what you like to do to pretty girls."

This time it's Noah who stiffens.

"Watch yourself, Wallace."

"I do, I have," Grayson smirks. I watch as the moonlight illuminates his face and I can't help but notice how he truly looks scary because behind that smirk is what looks like a whole lifetime of anger. "Now it's your turn to watch yourself."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

The smirk grows. "You'll find out soon enough."

"Are you threatening me, Wallace?"

Grayson doesn't reply, he just pulls me along with him back towards the front of the house.

"Get inside," he demands, standing next to what I assume is his car with the door open.

I think about it for a moment. Do I really want to get in a car with him right now? Or at all? What about Iris and Brett?

"For fucks sake, get inside."

This time I do as I'm told, slipping into the passenger seat. The door slams shut shortly after that.

"What just happened?" I ask as soon as Grayson gets in the car. He lets out a deep sigh, squeezing the bridge of his nose. Without answering my question he turns the car on and suddenly we're driving and I have to wonder if I made the right decision getting into his car. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8 0 15
*synopsis* After a disappointing relationship, Layla is convinced true love doesn't exist and that she will never find it. But when her best friends...
88.3K 2.8K 21
COMPLETED When sixteen year old Layla Winston's parents die in a tragic car accident. She's left with her Aunt Karen and her sister Ashley. They have...
82.1K 1.1K 31
Enemies to lovers❤️ Imagine if your worst enemy would move in RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR HOUSE? This book about Grayson and Isabella will tell you how she ex...
Layla By Artemis->

General Fiction

17.2K 434 25
I'm Layla, Layla Benson. The human form of average being. Nothing special to discover. My life seems as normal as I do. Three Best friend's. Two cl...