Hourglass [Quintessential Qui...

By Kiriyarin_

Each of them has their own stories, their own choices. A lot of new characters, new choices and new events, t... More

Chapter 1 - White Memory
Chapter 2 - The Beyond
Chapter 3 - Trouble Divided Into Five
Chapter 4 - Butterfly Effect
Chapter 5 - Stars Collide
Chapter 6 - Reflection
Chapter 7 - Encounter
Chapter 8 - All Sides
Chapter 9 - Trickster (Ⅰ)
Chapter 10 - Trickster (Ⅱ)
Chapter 11 - Preliminary
Valentine Special - Foudre
Chapter 12 - Ignite
Chapter 13 - Crisis Management
Chapter 14 - Siren's Song
Chapter 15 - Promise
Chapter 16 - Echoes of Betrayal
Chapter 17 - Confession and the Charming Maid (Ⅰ)
Chapter 18 - Emotions and the Forgiven Maid (Ⅱ)
Chapter 19 - Trouble in Paradise (Ⅲ)
Chapter 20 - Cast Away (Ⅳ)
Interlude Chapter - Friends All Over the World
Chapter 21 - Queen of Hearts (Ⅴ)
Chapter 22 - New Beginnings ( Ⅵ )
Chapter 23 - Someday in the Rain
Chapter 24 - Make a Spell
Chapter 25 - Darkness Falls, a Star Is Born
Chapter 26 - Calamity Fortune
Chapter 28 - The Melancholy of Nakano Nino
Chapter 29 - Lost & Found
Chapter 30 - Break a Spell (Ⅰ)
Chapter 31 - Break a Spell (ⅠⅠ)
Chapter 32 - Connection
Chapter 33 - Operation: True Love
Chapter 34 - A Few Mistakes Ago
Chapter 35 - Dandelions
Chapter 36 - Heartstrings
Chapter 37 - Through Rose-Colored Glasses
[Part 1 Finale] Chapter 38 - For Whom the Bells Toll
Chapter 39 - Begin the Offensive
Chapter 40 - Roll Like We Used To
Interlude Chapter - Whims of Fate (I)
Chapter 41 - The ABC's of Live
Chapter 42 - Trouble Multiplied By Five
Chapter 43 - Calliope (I)
To You, The Worthless Excuse
To You, The Absolutely Worthless Excuse
To You, Who Awaits The Snowmelt
To You, What Hidden Behind Your Eyelids

Chapter 27 - Tales of Snow

408 6 2
By Kiriyarin_

Asuka's POV:

"So yeah, if the idol girl had used the door chain instead of getting herself stabbed by a fan, it would have made a lot more sense."

"What are you mumbling about Asuka...?"

"Ah, Fuutarou. I'm just reading the new issue of Shonen Jump. I'm glad I brought it with me for the trip."

Our long-awaited field trip has finally started. Yet, we have been stuck for a while now due to a sudden snowstorm that hit us before we arrive our hotel.

"Ugh...How can ours be the only bus trapped in blizzard?... Madoka and Kazuma have already arrived at the hotel with the student council's separate bus." Fuutarou let it out a tired sigh.

"Don't ruin your mood now. Situations like this are common in animes anyway, it's just a sign that this trip is going to get more exciting."

"This sounds even more absurd than the Binding Legend..."

"Tch, you're fucking unmatched in undermining people's enjoyment." I sighed as I return to reading the comic. "I can prove that, here. There's a test in this month's issue to find your ideal girl type."

"A piece of paper absolutely cannot figure my ideal type of girl. It's impossible." Fuutarou opened his backpack and let it out a deep sigh again. "Fine, I'll take that stupid test since my books aren't here."

"No harm in trying, right?" I said. "Let's see...You have to answer my questions with honesty and we may learn your ideal type of girl... Other then siscon."

"What?"

"Nevermind. First question."

• 𝗜𝗳 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗴𝗶𝗿𝗹𝗳𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗱𝘀 𝗲𝘅 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗮𝗿𝗴𝘂𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗵𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘄𝗮𝘆, 𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗱𝗼?

"Hmm..." Fuutarou closed his eyes to think. "I guess I ask him to politely leave her alone."

"That's so you actually, ahaha—To the next!"

• 𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗳𝗮𝘃𝗼𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗼 𝗱𝗼 𝗼𝗻 𝗦𝗮𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗱𝗮𝘆𝘀?

"Studying."

"...*sigh* "

• 𝗪𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝘁𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝗮 𝗴𝗶𝗿𝗹 𝗼𝗻 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝘀𝘁 𝗱𝗮𝘁𝗲?

"At home watching movies on the couch."

"Pervert."

• 𝗜𝗳 𝗮 𝗴𝗶𝗿𝗹 𝗶𝘀 𝗳𝗲𝗲𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘀𝗮𝗱, 𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗱𝗼 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗱𝗼?

"I ask her what the problem is and then try to solve it."

"Yeah, that sounds more like you. Last question."

• 𝗢𝗻 𝗮 𝘀𝗰𝗮𝗹𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝟭 𝘁𝗼 𝟭𝟬 𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝘁𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂?

"Heh, easy. I'm 8."

"4 then."

"Hey!"

. . .

"Alright, if I judge your answers, the ideal type of girl corresponding to your score— Uwa...That's one hell of a type."

"So, what is it, Asuka?" Fuutarou asked with a bored face. He's just trying to kill some time because we're stuck inside the bus.

"Tomboys." I said.

"T-tomboys?!" Fuutarou almost fell from his seat. "That's absurd."

"Shonen Jump says so, I'm just telling your score. Ehe... So, you prefer a boyfriend with tits."

Since Fuutarou and I sit side by side on the bus, it's easier to talk to each other. The quints are scattered all over the bus. Ichika is in the front row talking to our teacher. Nino questions her life by the window in a way I don't understand why. Itsuki and Miku are chatting together somewhere in the middle.

But now Yotsuba is staring at us, one row ahead of us...

"Is that so Uesugi-san..." 

"Don't tell me you believe in that stupid piece of paper, Yotsuba."

"Tomboys huh, tomboys. I see. I never thought you're that kind of person, Uesugi-san."

"Are you even listening..." Fuutarou facepalmed.

"Ahaha... I don't think you need to worry so much, Yotsuba." I giggle. "I've never seen a tomboy around us before."

"You two have a pretty wide circle of friends, aren't you, Asuka-kun? Even in this class there are quite a few different people."

"Now that I think about it, you're right, Yotsuba. There really are a lot of different types of people in our class..." I turned to Fuutarou with a smug smile, holding the Shonen Jump magazine near to his eyes. "Like~ in~ anime~"

"Stop with--- Also, that's not true."

When Yotsuba said it, it began to bother me out of nowhere. Our classroom is full of truly unique people, I mean in terms of personality as well as physical. Just like a Shounen anime.

"There's Mei-chan, she's a gothic type and also mysterious. Her dark and mysterious aura is quite popular at school." I closed my eyes and began to talk. "Then there's Hibiki-chan, She's also quite popular at school, although she proposes to me almost every day, a-ahaha..."

"Right right, Asuka-kun!? Isn't that wonderful that we have all kinds of friends? I somehow even managed to befriend Hanako-chan, mwehehe!"

"Ah, thanks Yotsuba! Also Hanako-chan counts too. She's that strict and honorful student type. "

As Yotsuba and I were gossiping about our classmates, Fuutarou realized that he was totally wrong and fell silent. Aren't these calm moments really wonderful?

"Ah ah! I know more! There's also Koi-kun and Arisa-kun. You two might not kow, but those two are secretly popular among the girls... well... not quite on your level, Asuka-kun." Yotsuba sweatdropped, scratching her neck with embarrassment. "Hehe~ Just pretend you didn't hear that from me."

Our gazes shifted to the two boys a few seats away from us. Koi and Arisa seem to be having fun as always.

"Koi and Arisa still hanging together." Fuutarou mumbled. "At least those two aren't making fun of their friends!"

Yotsuba and I just exchanged glances, and smiled like total two dumbs. "Hehe~ / Hihi~"

"But as I said before, Yotsuba. We don't know any tomboys."

"Phew..." She sighs in relief. "Actually, Miku met one at the festival. Atleast that's what she tells us."

"Miku's really starting to become more sociable these days. She keeps saying she's with her friends. Honestly, I'm afraid it'll affect her lessons. Thanks to Nino, Nakano-san somehow forgave us but if this happens again, we're definitely fired."

"Come on Fuutarou. We're on holiday, don't talk business. We have to spend the next three days having fun."

"Asuka-kun's correct! You should be excited for tomorrow's courage test, Uesugi-san! No one is afraid of a clown who has lost their energy due to financial problems and future concerns!"

"I don't know Yotsuba, also...Ouch!"

"Also...Fuutarou. Didn't Raiha tell you to have fun? The bracelet on your wrist is there to remind you of that."

I raised my arm to show the good luck bracelets Raiha had prepared for both of us. I was really worried when Raiha got sick yesterday but Isanari-san must have taken care of her by now, phew.

Raiha always gaslights Fuutarou even in the most nonsense topics. He really loves his sister a lot. So we do.

"Ugh...fine! I'm not going to mention any study session during trip but that's all! Right after this is over, we'll back to study."

"One point for us Asuka-kun! Don't leave my hand hanging! Yeah!"

*CLAP*

With a foolish smile on our faces, we high-fived.

Our ridiculous seat talks lasted for quite some time but the snowstorm outside didn't seem to stop... We'll probably spend the entire day stuck in traffic. Many vehicles, including our bus, are stranded on the road.

Everyone seems really upset. I'm a little pissed off too, it's really frustrating that ours is the only bus stuck here.

"What's with Nino?" Fuutarou asked. "She look down...more then ever."

"I don't know Uesugi-san. She's acting like that since we did the registration. I hope this storm doesn't affect her negatively."

"Fuutarou, Yotsuba. Maybe we can-"

"𝐄𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐞𝐡𝐞𝐦, 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐞."

All eyes turned towards the front of the bus as the teacher called out to us. I felt relieved since the teacher in charge of our bus is Shiwa-sensei. It's quite admirable that, despite her young age, she still takes responsibility for the trip.

"𝐀𝐥𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭, 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐞, 𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐧 𝐭𝐨 𝐦𝐞. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐚𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐨 𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐟𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐬𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐦. 𝐖𝐞'𝐥𝐥 𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐚𝐭 𝐚 𝐧𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐛𝐲 𝐢𝐧𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐥 𝐭𝐨𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐰 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐭 𝟖 𝐨'𝐜𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐤. 𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐨𝐟𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐮𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦."

.

.

.

"It's not even winter yet, why is it snowing so much..." I murmur, lightly rubbing my palms together for any kind of warmth.

Thanks to Shiwa-sensei's suggestion, we all somehow got away with spending the night on the bus. A night's stay at an inn near us is definitely a much better idea then froze to death.

As the students on the bus gathered their belongings, they began to line up in front of the inn's entrance. Shiwa-sensei headed off to speak with the landlady to reserve rooms for all of us.

"What a heavy day..."

Everyone seems to be enjoying the snowfall— And since I don't have anyone to talk to for now, I'm going to lean my back against a wall and just enjoy the moment.

"...—GAH!"

A snowball hits right through my nose, covering me with cold white.

"C-cold..."

"Gotcha~♡"

''Naa, Itsuki...It's already freezing outside; are you trying to make me sick or something?'' I wiped out the snow on my face, geez.

''Just passing time.'' Itsuki came over to me with a smile. She probably wants to hug me, but it's not possible for us to do since we're not alone.

''I'm about to freeze here. Did God mix up the seasons...It's still autumn ffs. Hah hah..."

''I'm glad the gloves I got you are useful, hehe."

''Thanks again. If it weren't for them, I would probably have frostbite by now."

"It's been quite a while since Shiwa-sensei went inside. Renting rooms shouldn't take this long... Do you want to go in, Asuka?"

''Sensei told us to wait here. If we split up from the others, there may be a problem. A little cold isn't enough to fright me.''

Itsuki chuckled as if she already knew the answer I was going to say. Then she came to me and leaned against the wall I was leaning against, next to me. ''Dummy.''

''Yeah yeah, said meat bun.'' I collected the snow gathered on my shoulder and flick it right over her face. ''Payback.''

''Kya...Cold!''

It has already been half an hour since Shiwa-sensei went inside to talk to the owner. Naturally other students began to worry now. We all know that Shiwa-sensei is new to teaching, but she can't be bad enough to screw it up, right? Please be that way or we're all going to freeze to death tonight.

Atleast, I can warm up a little since I and Itsuki are holding hands under our coats.

Fuutarou said he's already texted the people at the main hotel, so they must know very well that we won't be able to come today. I'm terribly sorry to you guys over there because you're going to have to do our (second years) jobs today. But as long as those two are in charge, I'm sure there'll be no problem.

''Aren't you girls super rich or something... Hopefully you've got a hidden summer home somewhere because if I make it through tonight, I'll be praying for summer for the rest of my life."

"I think my dad actually owns a summer house in Okinawa," Itsuki says with a smile, squeezing my hand tighter.

''God bless the five, uwa...''

'"Come on Asuka, I heard what you said to Uesugi-kun on the bus. You told him to have fun, but you're not even trying to have fun yourself, hmpf.'' She pout.

''Itsuki, if we don't find a place to stay, we'll probably all freeze to death by morning like the German soldiers in 1941.''

''If that happens, I'll call my father and he'll come and get us.''

''But the only seven of us. Almost all second graders in school are here. All right all right, I won't despair. Shiwa-sensei may be young but she's still a teacher and we are her responsibility. I'm sure she's inside doing paperwork right or-...?!''

*THUG*

While I chat with Itsuki, I suddenly realized that someone was pulling my free arm. It wasn't a hard tug, more like someone wanted to talk to me. Itsuki and I were shocked by what we saw. To summarise, we totally fucked up.

''A-asuka-kun, hwelp meh...*sniff*''

''S-sensei?! Why are you crying?

''Shiwa-sensei, please don't cry!''

Itsuki acted faster than me and immediately hugged sensei. We didn't understand what was going on, but Itsuki probably knows better than me what to do about consolation. Shiwa-sensei hugged Itsuki back and kept sniffling.

''L-landlady w-was so mean t-to meh...I-I didn't know *sniff* what to do so I came to you. Asuka-kun, you're talented with women, aren't you? Pwease help meh to arrange a place to stay, w-wahh...''

''Sensei, what exactly happened inside?'' Itsuki asked.

''I went to talk to the landlady to rent the rooms, but she told me that they were busy because of the snowstorm, and she couldn't make time for a few students, uwaah...''

For God's sake, you're a teacher...

''So sensei, you're asking me to help you rent rooms, am I correct?''

''Hum hum...*sniff*'' She nods repeatedly.

''Alright, there's nothing we can do. If it's really necessary... Itsuki, come with me. Shiwa-sensei, you too.''

''What are you gonna do Asuka?'' Itsuki asked.

''I'll negotiate.'' I cracked my knuckles and took of my coat, also tied my hair for the upcoming battle.

''Hey hey hey! You cannot inflict violence on an old woman. I don't want my boyfriend to go to jail, or don't want to go to jail for accomplice.''

''Take it easy, I have a plan. Hehe, trust me on this. I have a super secret weapon that always gets me out of trouble.'' I made a thumbs up and although it seemed very wrong, I patted Shiwa-sensei's head. ''Hai hai, thanks for hard work.''

''W-wah, awigatou!...''

.

.

.

The inside of the inn is actually more luxurious than it appears from the outside. It's well-insulated and furnished, and the burning fireplace gives off a truly calming aura to the surroundings. Compared to the hellish cold outside, this place feels like heaven. If I can manage to pull this off somehow, I'll definitely spend more time in the lobby. It seems like Itsuki has also relaxed now that we've go inside together. The warm atmosphere of the inn has definitely helped both of us feel better.

It would have been better if we didn't have an emotionally damaged teacher. She's...kinda lost it.

''Shiwa-sensei, would you some like candy?'' Itsuki asked with a smile. She was holding Shiwa-sensei's hand like taking care of a lost child.

''C-candy...Y-yes pwease...''

''Are you really older than us, seriously...ugh...''

Shiwa-sensei is the youngest teacher at the school, only a few years older than us. That's why she has a good relationship with the students and is quite popular among the male students because of her beauty. She never told us her real age, but I could swear she's not even twenty-five yet.

It wasn't too difficult to find the landlady. She was at the reception desk, so our task was made a bit easier. However, what was surprising was that I thought the owner of the inn to be an older woman, but instead she's a tough-looking woman who seemed to be in her early thirties.

Short brown hair really adds tough look to her. Now it makes sense why Shiwa-sensei is so intimidated by her. Alright, Asuka, no fear. This is for everyone.

''Itsuki, I warn you beforehand. I love you, I truly love you. But what I'm about to do next might really make you hate me, so please don't.''

"No way! No power in the world could make me hate you... but now you say like that I'm a little scared..."

Itsuki's answer once again makes my cheeks flush. Geez, she always manages to catch me off guard. But now, it doesn't matter! Our mission is top priority.

''𝐇𝐨𝐰 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐈 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩 𝐲𝐨𝐮?''

"Good afternoon, madam. As our sensei mentioned earlier, we are interested in renting a couple of rooms."

''Greetings, gentleman. Yes, I had a discussion with your teacher about this matter, and as I reiterated previously, while I would love to accommodate you at the inn, our regulations stipulate that groups of students with more than forty people require the supervision of at least three adults.''

''Adults huh...ahahah...''

Now I look back at sensei gnawing a cherry lollipop from Itsuki's hand... Maybe this woman is doing the right thing.

''Your teacher stated that all of you are seventeen years old. That's why I can't help you.''

Well, this woman definitely knows her stuff. I didn't want things to get to this point, but I'm gonna have to lie to the poor woman.

''Actually, that's not quite true, ma'am. Me and my girlfriend you see next to me just turned eighteen a few weeks ago. That makes us adults within the law.'' I pointed Itsuki.

Itsuki looked at me as if she didn't understand what was going on, but then nodded when she realized what I was doing. ''Hum hum!''

Which is a lie. Itsuki and I are still seventeen. Itsuki and others' birthday is May 5th and there's still some time left for mine.

''If this is really true...I don't know. I don't want to be prejudiced against your teacher, but she is a bit...''

''A-ah, that's!...Between us, she's going through a difficult time right now. Her boyfriend has just dumped her and she still hasn't gotten over it.''

Which is an another lie! Shiwa-sensei sucks at relationships , nevermind being dumped by her boyfriend, she's never even had one before. Contrary to her beauty, Sensei is terrible at relationships.

''Now that you say it, she looks really bad...'' The landlady is starting to soften a little.

''But I can say that Shiwa-sensei is one of our school's most respected and disciplined teachers. I personally assure you that there will be no problems between the students under her and our supervision.''

''I-...''

All right, hesitated heart detected! Crictial Hit! The open wound I was looking for! Now I have to use my special technique. Sorry for seeing me like this, Itsuki!

Itsuki understood what I was going to do and locked her eyes directly on me. ''...''

...I took a deep breath and then...

''𝗜𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝘆𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝗱𝗼, 𝗽𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗲?''

''G-gh...0////0...S-since you're both e-eighteen years old, I-I can accept...'' A sudden change of heart.

Always works. Timeless classic.

''Ha! Thank you very much ma'am! You just saved our lives.''

''J-Just b-business...'' The landlady's cheeks blushed with a soft tone of pink. No matter young or old, a little heart-shock gets everyone on track. ''I-I'll bring the papers.''

When the landlady headed to the back room, I excitedly turned to Itsuki and Shiwa-sensei. I mean , I've just accomplished something great, haven't I? Shiwa-sensei had already reverted back to her original self while I was talking to the landlady.

However, the reaction I expected was completely different from the reaction I got. They both stared at me as if I'm the most disgusting creature in this world.

''I can't believe you... / This isn't how I raised my students...''

''A-ahahaha... I'm sorry you had to witness this, but it worked, right? Right?''

Aight... I definitely deserved it.

Later, Shiwa-sensei broke away from Itsuki's arms, came to me and... hugged me. Huh...

''Even though I'm mad at you about the boyfriend thing... Thank you for believing in my trustworthiness, Asuka-kun. I know you well enough to understand that those words were not lies, unlike the others."

''Come on, sensei... You smell cherry lollipops...Geez, whatever...'' With a small smile and hugged my dear sensei back.

After Shiwa-sensei stopped hugging me, I turned to my girlfriend. I warned her before, didn't I?

''Asuka...ugh...'' Itsuki facepalmed. ''I'll forgive you this time because it worked, but I forbid you to do it around me again.'' Then she sighed and hugged me as well.

''You two seem pretty close. Have you two started dating?'' Sensei asked.

''Been a while. We're keeping this a secret, sensei. I would really appreciate it if you didn't tell anyone else.'' And I answered.

All this secrecy will be over soon anyway. We promised to dance together on final night, which is indirectly showing her sisters that we're dating.

''Onegai, sensei.'' Itsuki also bowed her head down.

''Calm down now. If you want me to keep it a secret, fine. I already owe you both.''

Soon, the landlady came with a paper in her hand and placed it on the counter. ''All three of you need to sign here.''

''...!?''

Yes, the thing I was afraid of. If we use our real names, the system records will probably show us as being seventeen years old and it'll ruin my brilliant plan. Instead, I'm going to use a fake name for myself and Itsuki.

I was reaching for the papers to sign when the landlady suddenly took the papers from the counter.

''But I have one condition.'' Lady said.

''Eh...?''

''What do you want from us, then?'' Shiwa-sensei asked.

''Not from you, miss.'' She pointed me with her finger and talked. ''From you.''

''M-me? W-what are you getting at?''

The landlady left the counter and came over to me and leaned politely to my ear. She seemed to want no one to hear what she's about to say.

''...*whistle whistle*...''

''...!!!!''

''Hey hey! What are you whispering?'' Itsuki said, try to cover her anger and jealousy.

''What you're saying is...probably illegal. I don't know...''

''I have no other choice.''

''Wait a second!!! Illegal? As much as I grateful to you, I don't want to involve my students in crime. Please stop!'' Sensei barged in with a certain anger in her eyes too.

''Right...But that's my only condition. As their teacher, you have right to know.''

As soon as the landlady says those strange words that have put my heart in an endless storm of emotions, she leaves my side and goes to Shiwa-sensei and does the same to her. She leans down to sensei's ear and whispers.'

''...*whistle whistle*...and tonight, you can *whistle whistle*...''

''...!!!!!!''

''I humbly apologize for making such a proposal, but now you understand my situation.'' Lady bowed her head down.

''Asuka-kun...''

''Yes?''

''You're doing it.''

''E-excuse me?...''

''You're absolutely doing it. You'll gonna accept this humble lady's offer.''

''...S-sensei...?''

''He accepts your generous offer. He's very grateful for you for giving him such an offer.''

''Don't speak for me when I'm right next to you! Ugh...!'' I almost screamed yet deep inside my heart I know I have to accept it. ''All right... If that's the only way we can stay tonight, I'll do it.''

''Asuka...Asuka, what's going on... I'm scared.'' Itsuki said, tugging my arm.

''I think I just signed a contract with the devil. Sorry, I can't come to your room tonight, Itsuki.''

''What do you mean?...''

''I love you Itsuki and...If you want to see me tonight, you have to...''

— [ 𝐌𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐞, 𝐀𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐇𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐥 ] —

Kazuma's POV:

"Nee...Kurosawa-senpai is really amazing, isn't he?"

"Ha, are you talking about Kazuma-san?"

"Absolutely! Kurosawa-senpai managed to fit all the work that we wouldn't normally finish in days into just an 8-hour program! Student council members are truly something else..."

"..."

I overheard two first-year girls gossiping about me during one of our emergency budget meetings with the teachers. I was in the midst of explaining the necessity of cutting our budget, as the seemingly nonsense field trip is proving to be more costly than we excepted.

"You two. If you have free time to gossip, go help your class instead."

"K-Kurosawa-senpai! We... / Kazuma-san..."

"You two are from 1-A. Your classmates are checking out the forest for tomorrow's test of courage right now. Go and join them. Don't hang around here and stop getting in people's way, tch."

"W-we...w-we're sorry Kurosawa-senpai..." The girl is on the verge of crying.

"Kazuma-san, we'll leave. T-thank you; however, could you please tell us...Why did you suddenly assign extra work to all of the first-years when our program was supposed to end a while ago?"

"Since the second graders won't be here today, you first years will also take on their works. In order to minimize the workload, I distributed the second-year students' tasks among the first graders."

A while ago the responsible teacher for the second graders called us and informed us that they were stranded in blizzard. That's why student council and teachers had to make an urgent change in the schedule. I don't care, I'm only here out of obligation.

''...'' The snowfall has lost its effect here, but it's still falling. Storm will probably be over by tomorrow and others will arrive. A deep sigh escaped me as those two girls started sprinting towards the forest.

"Kurosawa-san, Kurosawa-san! Can you help me?" Another girl from the first years calls out from the outer-door 

"What?"

"These are the ingredients to make tomorrow's curry, where should I drop them? A-a-ah, too heavy!..."

"The third tent in the second section. Ensure the covers are closed and place them away from the snow."

"H-hai, arigatou s-sir...u-uwa...! Ngh! I-I got this..." The girl rushed away, barely grasping the boxes.

Seriously, these first years are complete morons. They can't do anything until someone tells them what to do. "..."

Once I had posted the day's schedule on the notice board, I decided to step outside the hotel to take a breather. I found a spot on the stairs and settled in.

Snow still continues to fall. As snowflakes absorb the dirty sound of the world, everything is engulfed in silence, leaving only the biting cold in its wake.

"𝗠𝗮𝘆 𝗜 𝘀𝗶𝘁?"

"You've already been watching me for 4 minutes and 56 seconds. What changes if I refuse?"

"...You haven't changed a bit."

"Likewise."

Approached from behind to the snow-covered stairs. She then crouched down slightly and took a seat beside me on the stairwell. "Madoka.''

"Kazuma. Still all alone, huh."

"Some of us don't have a social circle like you." I replied.

"My social environment isn't exciting as they think. The people I've been able to talk to for a while because of my mother are business people and my siblings."

"Soon you'll be one of Japan's most powerful women. Isn't that what you've wanted since middle school?"

"It's something I want and have to do. Yet it's surprising to see you with the student council."

"The only condition for not to taking those stupid classes was joining the council."

"...You know, Kazuma. I still respect you."

"Where the heck did this come from?"

"I wanted to say it when I saw you again at the bus stop, but I decided to wait since others were around."

"I have nothing to be respected. The only person you have to respect in this world is yourself."

"This isn't true. Respect is a feeling that should be given to those who deserve it. I respect your talents, Kazuma." Madoka said, focusing her emerald eyes on the falling snowflakes.

"It's rude to speak of people's sickness as talent. If that's what you think, you're the one who deserves respect here, not me. Dealing with the education you have received isn't everyone's deal."

"I always wanted to ask, what is it like? To remember everything, to know that your memories will never fade." She asked.

Madoka is the last one to know about my— sickness.

"Some call it a blessing, others a curse." I catched one snowflake with my palm. "Even decades from now, I'll still remember the shape of this snowflake."

"..." She remain silent.

"I don't know how that looks in your mind, Madoka. But be happy for every moment you are not like me. Because forgetting painful memories is a luxury I don't have."

"What about good memories? Do they have no value at all?"

"..." This time I remain silent.

"Guess, we both are facing our own difficulties." Madoka also gently catched a snowflake inside her palm and watched it fade away. "Nice to see all three of you again, Kazuma. You three were my only friends in middle school."

"Same." I sighed and lit the cigarette I took out of my pocket.

If respect is truly what Madoka described, then she'd be the only person I respect in this world.

Madoka has been undergoing rigorous training since her childhood. She has been enduring much more challenging lessons than the pointless ones we have in high school, and still hasn't given up after all these years.

"We're both monsters in a way, Madoka."

"An interesting way of definition. My siblings also say that I look like a monster when I get angry."

The time we spoke, the door leading to the stairs opened once more.

"𝐈 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐝 𝐛𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞."

"Is the budget meeting over, Hanako?" Madoka said.

"We just finished. It wouldn't have been this fast without the help of you both, Kurosawa-kun, Hosoki-san." She bowed her head. "Am I interrupting something?"

"No. Just two old acquaintances chatting. Would you like to join Hanako?"

"I'd be honored. Also Kurosawa-kun, I want to remind you that smoking is prohibited. As the student council, we have to be an example for the students."

"Tch..." I flicked the cigarette to snow.

"Same goes with throwing garbage on the ground. You may cause a forest fire." Hanako said and she sat down next to us. ''What were you two talking about?''

''About respect.'' Madoka said with a serious tone, grasping her jacket tighter. ''...''

''Quite a surreal subject, Hosoki-san.'' Hanako also fixed her glasses covered with snow. ''Guess that's how natural-born geniuses talk.''

''Natural-born geniuses?'' Madoka asked.

Hanako Homare. The most disciplined member of the student council. I don't have any particular hatred for her, she can just be total pain in the ass sometimes.

''First-year students are starting to refer to you two as geniuses now since it was you two that kept the whole school trip going during second-year's absence, Kurosawa-kun. Thanks to the plans you two made, the trip program will continue without any interruption.''

''One of the lessons I learned from my family was crisis management. We're not geniuses, we're people just... seen too much.''

''That's what I wanted to ask about. Do you mind if I ask a personal question, Kurosawa-kun, Hosoki-san?''

''...Whatever / I don't mind.''

''There are rumors around that you two were dating in middle school.''

''—Those rumors are correct. Kazuma and I dated for a while during our middle school times. But this is definitely not the kind of thing you're thinking about. It was more of a necessity.''

If you're going to tell that story, tell it properly.

''I'd like to listen. Of course, if that's okay with you.''

Hanako's demeanor has softened since the cultural festival. I'm not sure what it is, but she seems to be trying to socialize with people more now. Yet, this doesn't break her unbending personality.

"The CEO of one of our competitors visited our mansion for a conversation with my mother during my middle school years. Their company were almost as big and established as ours, so my mother decided to speak with them personally. They proposed a merger between our companies. If we agreed, not only would we become the dominant company in Japan, but we'd also have the chance to expand globally. Yet, my mother's a smart woman. She immediately understood that there was a secret underlying such an offer. The only condition for merging the companies was for me to marry the CEO's son.''

''...'' Hanako's expression slowly take a serious tone. I can feel the anger forming in her eyes. ''Such a marriage is unacceptable in this era.''

''Mother also thought the same, but we had to find another way to deal with it, as a direct rejection of the offer would potentially harm the company's image. And then I-..."

''That's where I came in.'' I completed Madoka's sentence. "As Madoka was my senior and was about to graduate soon, she came to me.''

''I don't want you to be offended, Kurosawa-kun, but you're not the kind of person who would only be someone's boyfriend just out of kindness.''

''...Tch.''

"A favor. I owed him a favor in exchange for his willingness to pretend to be my romantic partner."

''What happened next? Did you repay his favor?''

'' ... /... ''

''That's all I can tell.''

''I see, so that's the truth. By the way Hosoki-san, you just told me you were talking about respect, right? For me, respect is something that should be given to everyone. Every being deserves respect, what differs from person to person is the extent of respect given.''

"Cut this overly optimistic perspective. There are people in this life who don't deserve a shit. If you don't convince yourself of that, you'll be the one who will suffer."

''I think your point of view is the corrupt one Kurosawa-kun.''

"I don't think the only reason you came here is to philosophize with us, Hanako.''

''Yes, the reason why I came here is much different...''

As Hanako spoke, her tone took on a more serious note. We found ourselves seated on the stairs, watching the snow fall outside, with no other place to go. Going back inside meant having to face the other students once more, which we both knew would be another cursed challange.

Hanako is a delicate girl, even if she doesn't look like that. She has been in emergency and budget meetings for several hours. She probably wanted some rest too.

''The reason I came here—'' Hanako put her round-glasses once again with a solemn expression on her face. ''I want you two to be my friend.''

''...''

What?

''I-I'm sorry... I jumped into the subject too directly. I've been trying to be more social lately with the advice of my friend.''

"Why us?" Madoka stated with a calm tone, I chose staying silent.

''When I heard the rumors about Hosoki-san and Kurosawa-kun and saw that you both were still getting along well now. I was hoping you might be able to assist me with this. It just took me a while to find the courage to say it.''

''Someone like you ca-''

''I know what you're going to say, Kurosawa-kun. Why? I grew up in a strict family. I've been told to follow the rules and be disciplined since my childhood. Because of the type of person I am, I didn't have many friends outside of my own class. People thought of me as boring and irritating.''

They're not wrong.

''Up until a few weeks ago I thought it was okay, but my classmate helped me change my mind during the cultural festival. I no longer want to be known to people as boring and chained by rules. That's why I'm trying to make friends... even though I'm a mess.''

''... / ...''

''That's why...Would you be my friend, p-please?'' Hanako directly lowered her head infront of us. I can hear the voice cracks. She's trying to hold herself to not crying. ''Kurosawa-kun, I know I've really b-bothered you so much up until now, ignoring all the hard work you've done for me and the student council.''

''...''

''A-and, Hosoki-san. I've heard so much about you. Students always talk about you like you're a goddess...Beautiful, noble, and the pinnacle of will. I thought all of that was nonsense until I met you this morning. I always thought you were a spoiled brat from a wealthy family...'' She closed her face with her palms. ''I-I... was very wrong... You're so much more than anything I could ever be. I'm sorry, I'm s-so sorry..."

''Raise your chin.''

''E-excuse me?''

''Raise your chin, Hanako. Making eye contact while talking to someone is the basis of communication.'' Madoka said.

''U-uhu...O-Okay...'' Hanako did as she was told and raised her chin. When she looked up, what she saw was Madoka had already stood up and was standing right in front of her. The height difference between Madoka and Hanako becomes apparent immediately.

''Also, wipe those tears away. They don't suit a strong woman like you.''

''I'm not strong...It took me all day to even muster the courage to talk to you two like that.''

''But you made it, didn't you? Just engaging in a conversation like this makes you a strong person in itself. And as for your offer. I, Hosoki Madoka, accept your offer to become your friend.''

''A-are you sure Hosoki-san?''

''I don't like people calling me by my last name. Call me Madoka.''

''Thank you... Madoka...-san? Hehe...'' Hanako's joy returned a bit. I already knew it would be like this. Madoka has sixteen siblings, and her big sister instincts have always been in her.

But when it comes to bussiness or anything about her family company, Madoka becomes a completely different person. An emotionless robot, to put it best.

''H-how about you Kurosawa-kun?...''

''I refuse.''

''Why?...''

''There's nothing for me to gain from your friendship.''

''H-ha-hah...I thought so... Of course you hate me...''

''—I haven't finished speaking yet.''

''E-eh...?!''

I snapped my finger. ''One condition. If you don't interfere with my smoking again during this trip, I'll...may consider your offer.''

''Wait, t-that means...'' Her eyes become teary again. ''A-arigato...!''

''Don't look down on yourself.'' Madoka crossed her arms and frown.

''Y-yes...Please come inside. It's getting too cold in here, I'll make coffee for you two.'' Hanako entered through the hotel door with joy and smiled at us, then she disappeared from our sight through the hotel's hall.

. . .

''Did you have to lie to her?''

''I just told her what she wanted to hear. She thinks she's got a new friend and I got three days' worth of smoke.''

"Before we go in, I have something to tell you, Kazuma. Regarding the sentiments you said earlier, I believe you're wrong."

''You can't know that.''

''Maybe, but I do know something. Stay out of the cold rain or your heart may become rusty.''

— [ 𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞, 𝐈𝐧𝐧 ] —

Fuutarou's POV:

"Where could he be? He's been missing for hours, aaah! I knew I couldn't trust Shiwa-sensei!"

"You really should stop freaking out in the lobby. People started looking at us badly..."

Thanks to Asuka and sensei, somehow everyone managed to find a room for themselves. The pleasure of getting rid of freezing in the snow and being inside the warm four walls is absolutely unique.

I can't say I'm worried much, but Asuka and Shiwa-sensei have been missing for a few hours. No one on the bus has seen them for the past 4 hours.

Itsuki has been pacing in the lobby for almost a goddamn hour since her boyfriend has suddenly disappeared. She's the only one who's that worried though. I'm sure he's in here somewhere.

"Now now, Itsuki. Calm down, calm down! Asuka-kun is super strong! Nothing could have happened to him, right?..."

"Yotsuba's right, Itsuki. I'm sure he's around here somewhere. There are many more rooms here that we haven't looked yet." I said.

The girls and I sit in the lobby now, it's already night time. It shouldn't be long before midnight.

"Ichika has been missing for a while too. She had said that she would go search for them..." Miku grabbed her cell phone and dial Ichika's phone, and then Asuka's. "Still no answer..."

"What should we do, Uesugi-san...? Shall we keep searching?"

"Seems like the most logical option. What do you say, Nino?"

"..."

"Atleast give a proper reaction...ugh."

None of us know what the hell is wrong with Nino. She's been acting like she's depressed since we ran into Madoka this morning. This is definitely not the Nino Nakano I know. This is the first time I've seen her like this since we met...

"Yotsuba, did she tell you what happened?"

"Nuh-uh Uesugi-san." Yotsuba shaked her head. "She didn't even speak a word to us in the room..."

"Evil spirits could be...Must exorcise." Miku mumbled

...

"...Superstitions aside...We can deal with Nino later. Our priority must be to find the others."

It's night time so everyone else must be in their rooms by now so it's just up to three of us to search. Not counting Nino. I can't say this directly to her, but ... She's a total deadweight now.

"Itsuki, where did Ichika tell she'll look before she gone missing? Whatever happened to Asuka and Shiwa-sensei must have happened to Ichika as well. We'll start from there."

"I think she said she'll look downstairs." Itsuki finally got tired after those nonsense walks and sat down next to Nino. "Sigh..."

"Itsuki, yes, Asuka-kun is our friend too but we have to trust him! I'm sure there's an explanation for all this." Yotsuba gently wrapped her arms around Itsuki to cheer her up. "You used to love when I did this, take it easy, okay? Uesugi-san will find them."

"Yotsuba... Thank you." She cuddled Yotsuba back, resting chin on her's shoulder. "Hehe~ Yotsuba, do you remember the time we..."

While Yotsuba was taking care of Itsuki, I turned to Miku.

"Miku, can I rely on you to watch over Nino? We can't just ditch her in the lobby all alone like...this."

"Copy that, Fuutarou. Also, this situation makes me a little...excited..."

"E-excuse me?"

"We're like detectives in video games."

"Your sister gone missing and you see it as a video game?!..."

''I'm not sure what you'll think of this Fuutarou, but the five of us are connected eachother somehow. If something bad happens to one of us, the rest of us will feel it."

"Isn't that... Twin telepathy? But with five people?"

"Hum." Miku nods. "We don't have superpowers like Asuka thinks, but we can feel each other. That's why none of us are worried about Ichika."

I've read this before. Twin telepathy is a term used to describe the phenomenon of identical twins (or in this case, quintuplets) having a special connection that allows them to sense and communicate with each other beyond normal sensory channels such as sight, sound, and touch. It's often reported as a feeling of intuition, empathy, or telepathic communication between siblings.

Yet the scientific community has not yet found strong evidence to support its existence.

Are you really going to trust a phenomenon that doesn't even really exist for your nee-san's life?! What the heck...

"All right, if you say so, I'll trust you, Miku."

"Arigatou, Fuutarou. Besides, Ichika isn't the type to run away without putting her plan on work."

"Plan? Ah, right...Bonfire dance. Did she say anything to you about that?"

Miku shakes her head in denial. "I tried to pry it out of her, but all she said was to wait till the final day."

"Yare yare..."

"Uesugi-san, Miku. We're good to roll." Yotsuba hollered and waved us over.

"Phew, you feelin' better now Itsuki?"

"Better." She smiled. "You're right Uesugi-kun. I worried more then necessary. I'm sorry if I made you worry but y'know... for me Asuka-"

Itsuki stopped continuing her sentence and waited me to understand what she meant. Naturally, she can't speak freely because the others are around.

"Okay, we're starting the search now. Let's head downstairs and see if we can find any leads. You all set, girls?"

"Hai! Uesugi-san / Let's do it! / Detectives... / ... "

"Miku, hold Nino's hand so she doesn't fall down the stairs.

"Okay." She grabbed Nino's palm gently and made her stand. "Come on Nino."

"..."

I started walking downstairs with others after we finalized our plan. If Itsuki's information is correct, that was the last place Ichika was seen.

The lower floor of the inn we stay is used as an entertainment area, a common area where you can do various activities. It's not very crowded as it's night time, which is seriously relaxing. Dealing with people is the last thing I want at the moment.

"Miku, would you like me to help you with Nino? Stairs are dangerous."

"Thanks Fuutarou, but I got this, mngh..."

Miku has wrapped her arm around Nino's waist to help her walk down the stairs. Since Nino is no different from a zombie, she really needs someone's help to descend the stairs.

"..." Nino said nothing, she was just walking through where she directed like a remote robot.

"Uesugi-kun! Miku! Come on, we need to hurry."

"Don't rush us, do you want us to die?!''

We began inspecting the doors on the lower floor one by one after somehow managing to get Zombie Nino down the stairs. Yotsuba suggested splitting up to cover more ground, but I refused. I don't want to take any unnecessary risks, as what had happened to Ichika could happen to any one of us if we're alone.

And so we began to look for the doors one by one. The rooms aren't too big, so we don't need to examine them in detail. About twenty minutes later...

"H-how many d-doors does a g-goddamn sideroad inn n-need...Hah...hah...?" I kneeled down on the floor to catch my breath.

"Waaaaah~ Snowy night exercises are really something else... I haven't exercised like this in a while."

"N-not everyone is as a-a-athletic as you, Yotsuba. Hah...hah..." Even Itsuki's face turned pale white after all that walk.

"Fuutarou, this last door we haven't check." Miku said.

"..."

"Okay, if they're not here either, I'll really start to worry."

I held the dorknob and opened it with the last energy I left inside me.

"
𝗔𝗵, 𝘄𝗲𝗹𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗲. 𝗛𝗼𝘄 𝗺𝗮𝘆 𝗜 𝗵 𝗢𝗵? 𝗬𝗼𝘂 𝗴𝘂𝘆𝘀...𝗵𝗲𝗵𝗲~ 𝗛𝗶."

"... /... /... /... /..."

.

.

.

"And that's why the landlady asked me to check on this bar tonight. I tried to inform you, but there is no phone reception here."

"So that's what happened..." Itsuki let it out a relieved sigh.

The last remaining door was leading to the inn's bar, and when we entered through the door, we found Asuka working at the bar counter. We didn't understand what happened at first, but the situation became clear when Asuka explained everything.

"Pretty much. It seems that one of the employees who works here got sick today and they needed urgent help, so I accepted the offer to prevent you all from freezing to death."

"For fuck sake... Do you have any idea how I... I was that fucking close to lose my sanity, Asuka."

"I was planning to tell you after we settled into rooms, but I had to start early. Sorry again Itsuki."

"But this outfit really suits you, Asuka-kun. Makes you look more mature, I suppose." Yotsuba said with a smile and sat to the stools on bartender's counter.

"Much thank you Yotsuba. You're still cute as ever."

"Mweheheh~♡ Thank you." Yotsuba put her palms on her cheeks and blushed.

"Also I'm sorry again, Fuutarou, for causing you so much trouble. Looks like you had to deal with the girls." Asuka spoke while clearing one of used beer mugs. "Please don't be shy. I won't be busy atleast for another half hour."

"Well... I'm glad you're not in danger." I said as I sat down beside Yotsuba. "Just, don't do it again."

"No promises~ Also, it looks like my kitchen misfortune doesn't apply on beverages and cocktails."

"Ooh, so that's why this place isn't on fire yet."

"Asuka." Miku forced Nino to sit on one of the empty counter stools . "Where's sensei?"

"Ah, right that topic..." Asuka carefully set the beer glass down on the counter and pointed to a white-shirted woman standing almost half-conscious at the other end of the counter. ''Yikes...''

The woman is completely surrounded by 5 empty cocktail glasses.

''Z z z...''

"In exchange for letting me work here, the landlady let Shiwa-sensei that she could drink as much as she wanted at here for free. Aaaaand... Here we are."

"Is she okay?" Itsuki asked with a worried face.

"Yeah, she's just drunk as fuck. I even warned her to not drink that much." Asuka said, followed by facepalm. ''I'll take her to her room when my shift ends. For now, I'm keeping an eye on her.''

The bar really looks like a luxury place. Pleasantly lit and pervasive throughout the room, there is a light aromatic scent that makes you want to drink. A little away from us, adult people still continue to have a drink even though it's night time.

''Y'know what, I have an idea. How about I make you all cocktails to forgive myself?'' Asuka said with a wide smile. ''It's on the house.''

''Drinking alcohol may not be a good idea, Asuka-kun... Tomorrow will be a busy day.'' Yotsuba scratched her neck with a nerveous smile.

''Of course, I know that. We also have non-alcoholic options.''

"After getting that nerveous, a drink might be really nice..." Itsuki pout and looked at the bottles behind the counter. ''But I'm still mad at you so you have to treat me well.''

''Hai hai~ I'll make a drink fit for a princess.''

''By the way Asuka.'' There's still one last missing piece to the puzzle, I close my one eye. ''Have you seen Ichika? She came here looking for you, but we haven't heard from her either.''

''Ichika's still here, surprising you didn't see her. She's right behind you.''

''Huh?...''

None of us understood exactly what Asuka meant, but we all turned around from the counter together, and that's when we realized what he meant by that.

''𝗔𝗿𝗮~ 𝗟𝗼𝗼𝗸 𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗰𝗮𝘁 𝗱𝗿𝗮𝗴𝗴𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝗻.''

''H-huh?! I-Ichika?'' Miku's eyes widen for a moment so all of us.

''Yup, that's me. One and only. You all look like you've seen a ghost.''

''I have to explain this too... ehem." Asuka coughed a few times as he prepared the cocktails. "Ichika already found us a while ago, but it seems that this bar gets super crowded at nights. And since I'm the only person working here, I asked Ichika for help to serve people while I take care of the drinks."

''You also look stunning Ichika! I wish you could join us at the cultural festival.'' Yotsuba's eyes lighten up and she start to observe her nee-san's maid dress. Then she pulled out her phone and snap photos.

"Onee-chan didn't want to disappoint Asuka-kun when he asked me, and wearing this maid outfit also gives me the confidence I need for the upcoming movie shoot." Ichika said as leaned to the counter with a smug smile. ''Asuka, we need more Margarita and a lots of Whiskey. Also four Apreol Spritz for table six.''

''Comin' right up, just let me finish their drinks first.''

''Asuka, do you know how to make cocktails?'' Itsuki told with a curious tone.

''Not really. The landlady taught me the basics before she left, but I still use the recipe book when I'm making mixed recipes.''

A few seconds later, Asuka placed five glamorous drinks in five different colors on the table. Each made in a different color; Blue, Green, Red, Purple and White.

''Voila, hehe.''

''Are you sure you're not a pro, Asuka-kun? These don't look like a beginner's job.''

''Heh, thanks for the kind words Yotsuba! But I can guarantee that I'm doing this job only for a few hours.''

To be honest, I'm relieved that everything is finally over. I guess I can't say no to a free drink, so so I'll savor that for a bit, and then I'll head to my room and hit the sack. I've been out in the cold for too long today, and our main activities will begin tomorrow when we arrive at the hotel. Looking forward to a warm and comfortable night's rest before an tiring day ahead.

Asuka carefully distributed the drinks to each of us. The atmosphere almost felt like we were all grown-ups hitting the bar to temporarily forget about what lies ahead.

''My drink is red... I've never seen anything like this before, what is it Asuka?'' Itsuki asked with a smile on her face. Then she sipped her cocktail. ''U-uwa...T-tasty...''

''Glad you asked. It's Agua Fresca. A little watermelon juice, lemonade, and soda. Although the meaning of the drink itself varies from culture to culture, the meaning of its color is the same all over the world.'' Asuka leaned down to counter and faced Itsuki with a smile. ''The color red symbolizes unending passion and love, hehe.''

''H-hey...n-not now...'' Her cheeks become rose pink.

''Asuka-kun, Asuka-kun!'' Yotsuba waved her hands and she looked at her green drink. ''What about mine? I want to learn too.''

''Hehe, alright then. I personally thought the Emerald Isle is the best option for our one and only Yotsuba. I made it with orange juice, green syrup, and sparkling water. Green represents new beginnings and abundance.''

''New beginnings, huh? Hell yeah! That's something I can raise a toast! Kampai!'' Yotsuba chugged her green drink in one go ''Good stuff, mwehehe...'' The lips turned bright green, but she's not aware of it. Cute.

''I want to learn mine too Asuka.'' Miku pout while she was trying to stablize Zombie Nino before she fell. ''N-nino...stop.''

''As you wish, the fair blue lady.'' Asuka winked at Itsuki before selecting a few bottles of alcohol from the shelves behind him, getting to work on the orders Ichika gave him. ''Blue Lagoon. An azure sky made of blueberry syrup, lemon and mint. While the taste of the drink describes the eternity and sweetness of the sky, the salt on the rim of the glass reminds rainy days. Perfect for responsible and calm people.''

Miku touched her lips to the salt-covered rim of the glass. ''I really taste the rain... Asuka, how did you actually learn so much about drinks so quickly?''

''Here is a notebook where all the drinks and their meanings are written down. I had to read it a few times before starting to work. People who come here usually want to know what they're drinking.''

''Next time teach me that too. I'm definitely going to try making these at home.''

''I would be honored.'' Asuka replied with a warm smile and then turned to me. ''I know this sort of thing doesn't interest you much Fuutarou, but would you like me to explain yours too?''

''All right, you're the boss.'' I took a sip of the white drink. ''...!''

Wait a minute, this is really good. The sweet and bitter aromas of the drink is perfectly tuned. It leaves a very soft and cloudy taste in the mouth after swallowing. It's like a drinkable cloud. In addition, its fragrance is reminiscent of freshly picked flowers...

''Judging by the expression on your face, you liked it, hehe.'' Asuka chuckles, deftly mixing ingredients for the other customer's cocktails.

''It's really good...''

''Uwaa~ This drinks definitely worth staying up for all this time, wasn't it, Itsuki, Miku?'' With her green lips, Yotsuba called out to her sisters. ''We're like those cool grown-ups. Y'know, sitting at a bar at midnight and drink lots of alcohol, but without the alcohol part.''

"Your definition of being an adult is definitely strange, Yotsuba." Miku took a sip from her Blue Lagoon. ''Yet...In a way it feels like that.''

''I don't know girls, alcohol isn't really my thing, but I know that moments like these are special.'' Itsuki smiled. ''Yosh! Girls! Kampai!''

''Kampai! / Kampai! Wooo!''

''...Heh...'' Without even realizing it, I started to grin. Maybe all they needed was a little relaxation. I wish I had noticed before.

''I told you it would be a good idea to come on this trip, right?''

''Well, good things can happen once in a while.'' I took another sip of my mocktail as the girls were having fun amongst themselves. ''What were you saying about the drink, Asuka?''

''Preparing your drink was the hardest. It's hard to find one that suits your palate. I mean, what's the taste of someone who doesn't even pay for the full yakiniku set in the cafeteria?''

''Duh, asshole. If you calculate it correctly, you can eat even more at half that price-''

''And this was the best choice for you, Fuutarou. Elderflower Collin.''

''Elderflower...Collin?''

''Lemon juice, sparkling water, syrup and Elderflower liqueur. Actually, this recipe's normally for a Gin-based alcoholic cocktail, but I removed the alcohol part and replaced it with coconut extract. White color represents purity and stability.''

''Asuka... Did you really just come up with making these cocktails minutes ago or did you already know that we were coming for you?

''Secret~✰''

I really want to say that everyone's having a good time here... but I can't say that. Nino didn't even touch her drink. She stares blankly to the void. I can't see the slightest sign of life in her eyes. Asuka seems to have noticed this as well, and he lets out a deep sigh while casting a concerned look in Nino's direction.

''Do you know what happened between her and Madoka?'' I asked.

''No idea. I'm already planning to ask Madoka about her tomorrow. Not everyone is capable of putting Nino into emotional shock. Hold on, let me try to...''

Asuka left his cocktail ingredients on the counter for a moment and settled across from Nino for a face-to-face conversation.

''Nino...''

''...''

''Can you atleast look into my eyes?''

''...''

No response. It's like talking to a corpse. I hope it's nothing serious. Otherwise, the whole trip may be ruined.

''Nino, can you hear me?''

''...''

''...''

''...''

''For heaven's sake, Madoka... What have you done?"

''...! M-ma-ma...''

''...?! / ...? / ...!! / ... / D-Did she—''

At the mention of Madoka's name, Nino's blank eyes suddenly locked to the purple cocktail on the table. And then...

''ARRRGGHH! TOTAL BULLSHIT! GIVE ME THAT DRINK ASAP!''

Nino's eyes widened suddenly, a tiny spark of life igniting within them. Gradually, a flush of color returned to her previously pale face.

''Nino! Wait!''

Nino chugged entire purple drink on the table before we even noticed and slammed the empty glass hard on the counter.

''That won't do, You!'' Nino pointed Asuka with a furious stare. ''I saw an Everclear 190 on that shelf. Gimme a glass.''

''E-Everclear 190?! Are you fucking out of your mind, Nino? That thing is 95% pure alcohol. After two sips, you'll be in an alcohol coma.''

''𝗔𝗹𝗰𝗼𝗵𝗼𝗹 𝗶𝘀 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗜 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝗱𝗼 𝘁𝗼 𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝗵𝗲𝗿...𝗖𝘂𝗿𝘀𝗲 𝗺𝘆 𝗵𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘁 a 𝘁𝗵𝗼𝘂𝘀𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲𝘀.''

- - -

- 𝐁𝐄𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐄𝐒 -

Asuka: Fuutarou, we've completed the registration! All second graders, please proceed inside and go to your rooms!

Fuutarou: Finally! If I stay outside any longer, I would froze my ass off. Has there been any problem inside?

Asuka: There were a few issues with the documentation but I got it done, don't cha worry, hehe. You can check it out if you want. I took a copy with me just in case.

Fuutarou: You used Shiwa-sensei's name, right? What kind of problem could it be?...Wait what the fuck...Asuka!...

Asuka: It turns out that large groups require at least three supervisors, so Itsuki and I wrote ourselves, ahahah...

Fuutarou: Asuka...Then WHY THE FUCK is it written "Artoria Pendragon" and "Emiya Shirou" on the paper!?

Asuka: *whistles away*...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.3K 585 24
Yuki was born in a rich family and has Quintuplet sisters but sadly he was thrown into a orphanage after they seen that he isn't a girl. Yuki had a r...
341K 10.1K 69
Ichika Nakano's life changed when she met that boy As you can see in the title its a Ichika Nakano x Male Reader story. I pick Ichika because of some...
17.3K 665 14
Someone caught Bokuto's attention. He was friends with her, they were close but it's not close enough like Bokuto wants it. He has feelings for her. ...
27.8K 928 32
(Y/N) just moved to Japan. The plan is to stay there for a year, away from his home, so he's not too enthusiastic about it. But he meets a certain fe...