Silence in the Storm

By HazelSpiderlily

"They got married... I should be happy for them, no?" "He got married to your Leannan, Soap." In this fanfict... More

Enlisted to Heal.
Prescription.
Caduceus.
Asklepios.
Ophthalmo.
Cardio.
Pneuma.
Pneuma: Trachea.
Pseudostasis.
Serotonin.
Endorphine.
Dopamine.
Toxins.
Blunt Trauma.
Nerve Laceration.
Coma.
Cortisol.
Oxytocin.
Hyperfixation.
Shortsightedness.
Derealization.
Arrhythmia.
Apnea.
EKG.
Phobia.

Paranoia.

239 2 0
By HazelSpiderlily

The silence was staggering.
Ghost was just there; standing, arms crossed, simply staring at me. I didn't know how much he had seen of my body, and that thought by itself mortified me deeply.
But nothing would've terrified me more than knowing that he had been in my room before, literally stalking me...

I swallowed dry, cautiously turning myself towards his direction. I could feel his invasive gaze on me, like he was enjoying a little bit too much of the predicament I was in. My breathing was slow but heavy; felt like my lungs were malfunctioning. He calmly leaned one shoulder on the partition frame, letting a husky chuckle.

- The answer to your question... Yes, it was me. I've broken in to your dormitory.

- ...Why?

- A 'bad habit' of mine. - he rested his hands on his tactical belt. - When I'm interested on something or someone, I want to learn about them.

- By breaking in?!? Maláka!

- English, love.

- You went too far, Simon! - I grabbed my towel to cover my hips. - That's my privacy that you're invading!

- No worries... I won't do it again, love. I'm a married man. - he jeered.

- Care to turn your back so I can finish what I was doing?

- Your womanly assets are no secrets to me.

- TURN. YOUR. BACK.

- Tsk... Fine. - he turned away his broad structure.

I quickly grabbed my pair of jeans and put them in a desperate speed, feeling less exposed. I unconsciously left a sigh of relief escape while tieing my hair on a ponytail. I sensed his silent presence approaching, my whole body immediately tensed up.

Ghost towered me from behind, shadowing my whole self from the lamp light. He was just few inches away, and kept his hands on his pockets, as he was trying to contain himself by all means. My heart was pounding up my throat, butterflies fluttering in my stomach. He slouched on my shoulder height, and with a husky tone, he mumbled in my ear. My skin sinfully crawled upon hearing his voice so up close.

- Another answer: yes, I've seen everything.

- Simon... Please, step back...

- Scared of giving in, love...?

- I'm scared of you.

- Is that so? - he chuckled softly. - What can I do to make this fear go away?

I was a mixture of scared and aroused, and he somehow knew it. He was enjoying my muted desperation, seeing my senses getting triggered and scattered all over the place. I could hear his breathing through the mask, the warmth emanating from his body. He was a dangerous temptation disguised as a monster. No wonder Elise was so entranced by him; he sexualizes his mysterious existence very well.

My cellphone rang and vibrated loudly; the screen lighting up. It was my cue to break away from that domination and escape. I walked towards the accent table and answered, relieved to be focusing on something else.

- Cavendish speaking.

- Angelina, it's Laswell. Good morning.

- Good morning, Mrs. Laswell! What can I do for you today?

- Pass by my office; we'll head to the briefing room after that.

- Okay, I'll be there in 20. - I beamed up. - See you in a few!

The call ended, and I took a deep breath; finally something to focus other than all that harassment! I grabbed my white coat and finished setting my holster harness. As I was leaving my room, Ghost quietly followed me. At that point, I couldn't care less about what people would possibly gossip about; their glances were already "loud" enough.

-What Laswell wanted?

- Not only a stalker manwhore, but also incredibly nosy... You keep surprising me by the minute, Lieutenant.

- Good to know I surprise you.

- Not in a positive way, but you don't seem to care anyway.

- Why should I?

- Because many actions have consequences, Lieutenant... By the way, one of your consequences are coming towards us right this instant.

Ghost looked at me confused, but then I saw his breathing pattern skipping as he saw Elise. She was smiling, eyes gleaming upon seeing her beloved husband. I simply lined out a downward grin, letting this unfold.

- Good morning, love! Hi, Angie!

- Morning, sweetie. - he seemed quietly bewildered.

- Good morning, Elise. You look in good spirit today.

- Yes! - she was giddy. - Laswell just called, we're about to have a meeting.

- Oh, are you heading to Laswell's office too?

- Nah, I'm going straight up to the briefing room; was about to come after you, Simon... Why is your phone turned off?

That was the moment where I saw a six feet four mountain of a man freeze his steps and tense up head to toes... I looked to his side, and his eyes quickly avoided mine. He really was onto something when he sneaked into my dormitory this morning.

- I forgot my phone at my room, I didn't sleep much last night. Bumped into the doc; she told me about it.

- Oh, really? - she side glanced at me with sordid curiosity.

- I told you to take the melatonin I prescribed you Lieutenant, but no... - I decided to play along and save face. - Your wife sold you out.

- ...I've been forgetful. Apologies, sweetie.

- It's all fine, Simon. Let's head to the briefing room.

I've let them go on their way while I was walking to Laswell's office. My mind wandered in thoughts, especially regarding Ghost.
It was obvious that Ghost blatantly lied to Elise, but I had a feeling that deep down she knew that something was off... What intrigued me was that she decided to put aside. Their dynamic was evidently toxic, there's no denying.

As I walked into Laswell' office, she greeted me with case files. All of them were classified psychological and psychiatric evaluations of the 141 Task Team... A deep breath escaped as I saw who they were.

- What am I supposed to be reading here?

- Study their files, in case you feel in the dark about them. - she took a sip of her coffee. - You'll be part of the team from now on, so you must be prepared for their shortcomings, actions and reactions. Usually Captain Price redacts and... Omits the reports to avoid their discharge by the National Security. The real deal stays classified under our watch.

- Isn't that illegal...? - my eyebrows were furrowed.

- Ninety-five percent of what we do is inherently illegal, doctor. But sometimes the necessary evil must be done in order to bring the well deserving good... And these boys are the best at their jobs. We can't afford to lose them.

I looked at that small pile of case files with a weary sensation in my chest. It felt like I was violating their privacy. At that point it was clear that Laswell would be pairing me with them in a mission, but I wasn't sure if I was cut for the action. Perhaps I was just scared to see the uglier side of an unknown war and face the consequences of it.

- Okay, I'll be reading those. - I placed them inside of a messenger bag that she gave me. - We will be out in a mission?

- Affirmative. - she walked towards the door. - The files of the operatives involved are in your possession; the copies of course. In case of extra info or notes, let us know through classified reports.

I followed her to the door and through the hallway that led to the briefing room. My mind was racing; my hand gripping tight onto the bag's shoulder strap. As the sliding door opened, my nervousness escalated up to a ten: the Task Force Team 141, also known as "Ghost Team" was all gathered right in front of my eyes... I only knew three of them; the rest were a foreign bunch to me.

- Thank you for joining us, Laswell. - Captain Price lined out a warm grin. - And welcome to the Task Force, doctor Cavendish.

- I thank you for the opportunity, Captain Price.

The meeting was nearly a monologue; Captain Price was explaining the details of the mission thoroughly while the team members were fully focused on what he was saying. By the end of it, Captain Price and Mrs. Laswell left for paperwork preparation, and I was just there among strangers. Thankfully, Soap sheepishly got up from his seat and walked towards my direction.

- You look a lil' wary. Are you alright?

- I'm a bit nervous, but I can handle it. - I lined out a shy grin.

- You may not be familiar with the other operatives, but that's a matter of time; you're among family now.

- I'll be fine, no worries. - I rested my hand on his forearm as reassurance. - And thank you for being such kind friend, Johnny.

- Heh, no problems! - he beamed up, his blue eyes gleaming. - I'm just savin' ye a seat.

I suddenly felt a chill up my spine; my instincts were screaming in despair inside of me. I could feel Elise's jealousy from the other side of the room; her eyes barely blinking, in a static glare that only sociopaths proudly carry within themselves. Ghost was by her side, staring at me with an unreadable gaze.

It felt like daggers were being thrown in silence at my direction, and my only protection at that moment was Soap. I unconsciously seeked his hand and held them, letting my uneasiness secretly known. He looked at me with a slight concern, but he immediately realized what was going on and reciprocated, entwining our fingers. My heart skipped a beat for a brief moment; I wasn't expecting such sweet attitude.

- ...Efcharistó. - I mouthed to him.

- No problem, lassie. Are you alright?

- Like I said, just nervous.

- We still have 24 hours before we get dispatched into mission. - he slouched a bit to whisper lower. - Wanna hang out for a bit?

- What do you suggest?

- We can relax a bit at the lounge, get some snacks, watch TV...

- Sounds good to me.

- That's great, eh! - his crooked smile grew larger. - When can I go pick you up?

- Late afternoon is fine. - I felt my face burn.

- I'll be at your dormitory by 5 pm, stat.

- I'll be waiting.

- Nice! It's a dat- I mean, a deal!

I giggled at his auto correction; he really wanted to mean "a date". Which wasn't far from true, though. Whatever he had in mind, I was willing to give it a shot. It was good to be around a friendly person after all the absurds.

An operative walked towards our direction; had a beautiful dark complexion and very observant eyes. He was talking to Elise before; his smile was large and enthusiastic while with her. Whatever they were talking, they seemed to be good friends to each other. He approached Soap first, changing his demeanor.

- Hey, Soap! How's it going, mate?

- Aye, Kyle! Doing alright, mate! And you?

- Keeping steady as always. - he glanced at me. - You must be the new doc.

- I'm Angelina. Nice to meet you.

- I'm Gaz. Pleasure to be your acquaintance. - he leaned for a handshake.

- Likewise. - I lined out a shy grin while shaking his hand.

- Heard that you're greek. Such a beautiful country to live.

- Indeed, I am greek.

- I look forward to chat a little bit more, but I have other priorities in order. Once again, a pleasure to make acquaintance, doc.

I nodded in reassurance, lining out a warm grin. Soap looked at him leave with a gaze of suspicion, his stance on the chair was menacing.

- He didn't come here to say "hi".

- Why do you think that?

- Gaz is best friends with Elise... They chat often. And I mean nearly all the fucking time.

- Do you think he just greeted me to check what was going on?

- I don't want to imagine things, but... Is very likely he did.

- I feel like in 5th grade... Maláka...!

- Don't get yourself in a silly spraff, eh... - he got up from his seat. - Instead, let's enjoy our free time!

- You're right. I'm too worked up for nothing. Let's release some stress!

In an act of impulse, Soap rested his hand on my back, leading me out of the briefing room under the curious and malicious eyes from the rest of the team. That mission would be a ticking bomb not only for the enemy, but for myself included.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78.6K 2K 16
Being a part of Captain Price's Special Task Force 141 was no easy work. Often away from loved ones for extended amounts of times, dropped in the mid...
255K 8.2K 79
The mission was to extract information from an agent in jungle. Drop in grab the info from the location and quickly and quietly move through the jung...
2.3K 76 23
As the days pass, your missions get more and more intense. Until one day, you get separated from your team to meet with your Lieutenant. "We are movi...
123K 2.2K 104
Breanna, an army Sergeant, has never been the easiest to get along with and has struggled to get close to people due to some past traumas. With a ch...