Arknights - Hearts of Fortune...

By MeniirwastakenFUCK

Tales of Iberian born Liberi named Alter "Valor" Valero. The so-called 'Treasure Hunter'. "Look, sometimes pe... More

Do you FW this new cover?
Hearts of Fortune
Siracusan troubles Part 1
Siracusan troubles Part 2
Merchants of Death
Kazimierz Showdown part 1
We won't meet again.
Whatcha Gonna Do When They Come For You? Part 1
Whatcha Gonna Do When They Come For You? Part 2
New year, New Place, New me
A bad feeling about this...
Meet the new boss part 1
Meet the New Boss part 2 (R)
SS1: Strictly Business
ยกHola iberia! Part 1
ยกHola iberia! Part 2
Items of Curiosity #1
ยกHola iberia! Part 3
Pandora's box

Kazimierz Showdown part 2

167 13 4
By MeniirwastakenFUCK

Author note: So i intended to upload this two or three days ago. but due to my proofreader unavailable, i have to switch to another one. which took some time.

and as always, read the notes at the end.

----------------------------------------
Mountains//0900 hours

It is still raining. And I am still stuck in this cave with the others. I was leaning on a wall by myself with some distance from the others.

Still recovering from the previous night's betrayal. I'm using my coat as a blanket, and my hat as a pillow, it ain't much. By the way, thanks to Fred, my clothes have holes in them now.

Getting bored, to be honest. Fred took my phone and almost all my weapons.

"So... What happened to you?" Grani looked at me. It's clear she's trying to break the ice between us.

"You see, I have a... slight disagreement with my friend." I tried to explain to her about me and Fred's complex relationship.

Grani blinked, "Ohh. Is he a Sankta? He did a number at your body." Referring to the bullet wound.

I forgot to mention. I didn't die, thankfully, because under the intense rain, and Fred's inexperience in shooting guns, he practically missed much of my vital organs.

Except for my spleen, apparently. I didn't even notice that.

Eh, what are the spleen good for anyways?

This isn't going to bite me later is it?

"Uhm," No not really, all Sanktas I've met are all assassins sent by the pope, "Sure, yeah. I mean, he's a unique individual." I shrugged.

With a nod, Grani hums and lays back to the cave wall beside me.

"So, you're from Iberia?" The... Guy in the big suit, Big Bob spoke up.

"That I am." I stretched. I heard Grani saying something among the lines of 'be careful there'.

"How is life there?" He asks, looking over to me. The village chief girl, Carol, looked at me too.

God, is this going to be a story time?!

"Well, I was raised in a small village in northern Iberia. It was a nice place, met friends, had a nice life." I smiled. It's nice that people ask about your home, and not some other bullshit.

"How come you ended up here? Did something happen? You look like a mercenary... Of some sorts." Big Bob states.

"Ahh, you see, I've grown up in a Church along with other homeless kids. I got away when I became an adult to earn money." And I became obsessed with money and earthly wealth, but I didn't say that out loud.

I admit I have strayed far from the path of God. And does that bother me? Not in the least.

"You grew up in a Church? Well, care to recite some words of God for us?" Big Bob said.

"Ahh, i kinda forgot. It's been years since I've read the bible." I rubbed the back of my head. That was a lie, of course. Years of drilling that have made me able to recall most passages, I'm just not in the mood right now.

"Unfortunate." Big Bob looks away.

"I heard Iberia is close to the sea. Have you been to the sea?" Carol the village chief asks.

"I've been to the coast, yes."

"The rain's clearing up. We better get moving." Big Bob suddenly said out loud.

Well would you look at that, the rain is finally clearing up. Now we can continue on searching for treasure.

And hunt down a traitor known as Alfred Cordell.

That being said, I am left with only a dagger that I used to cut down foliage. Which means I have to rely on the others to keep me safe.

Or do I?!

Yeah, I do. Until I can get my guns back, I'm essentially powerless.

Standing up and slinging my coat into one arm, "Right, let's go guys!"

...It still hurts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Forest at the foot of Mt. Terrat//Clear//1045 hours

We were walking along going to go up the mountain when Big Bob stopped and kneeled to the ground.
"This rock... Stay close to me, you three. Watch your step, and stay inside my footprints. Don't go around touching things either," He pauses, "I'm afraid this forest is even more dangerous than we suspected."

"Is something carved on that rock?" Grani asks appearing beside him, while I elected to lean on a tree.

"These are marks left behind by bounty hunters. We need to take heed of these, or we may well end up stepping in a trap." Big Bob explains.

"So, how are we going to avoid the traps?" Grani asks.

"Ha. Just watch me." He then pauses, exposing the traps, "An animal trap on a rope... How old fashioned. And here's a rolling log trap hidden by foliage. We would've tripped if we rushed forward."

"Hey! You're pretty good at this."

"Of course, after all I used to..." Big Bob stopped speaking.

Quite suspicious if you ask me.

I've dealt with shady people before, and I have an instinct for this kind of thing.

"Wait. Somethings not right here." Big Bob grabs a stone and stands up.

"Is it a trap?" Grani follows suit and stands up.

"No... a symbol drawn with blood..." He pauses, "'Monster'? What's the meaning of this? I've never seen a symbol like this."

"What is it? Let me see." I approached them and took the stone with the symbol drawn on it.

Yeah, I have no Idea what it is. I returned the stone to Big Bob.

"Oh. Is this what I think it is?" Grani spoke.

When suddenly the screams of people, presumeably bounty hunters, was heard.

"M- Monster!"

"D- Don't come this way!"

Fuck, is this what I think it is? The Islander appeared again, chasing down the bounty hunters.

"Skadi, you're Skadi, right?" I can hear Grani yelling something amongst the commotion.

The Islander, who I assumed is named Skadi, attacked Grani, "Hand her to me. Now." She said in a monotone and threatening voice.

That's probably what she said. I don't know. I was, preoccupied with something called staying alive and not dying.

Man, if only I had my guns. I can just about light everyone ablaze and come out on top.

OH FUCK.

That islander swung her sword at me! I could've gone headless if I didn't duck! One more reason to stay away from islanders.

Yeah, I'm booking it. It was nice knowing you all!

I bolted straight outta there. Into the bushes and the foliage. Accidentally tripping once too.

I ran until I spotted something familiar...

My jeep!

Ahem. The Rental service's jeep, I mean. You know, the one that is currently destroyed beyond recognition.

But! It scattered my stuff in the process!

I got to inspect the wreckage and oh my heavens! Canned food!

I can now eat the food of civilised people instead of berries and wild animals that may have some form of disease in them.

Wait. I remembered that I packed a spare gun somewhere.

I went out to inspect the wreckage further, searching for a gun near it. And any other items of interest

Ahah! This is it! a revolver!

Yes! No!...Goddamnit! It's a single action revolver!

It just had to be this kind of gun... who am I to complain though? At least I have some level of defence.

I found a box of ammunition not far from it. Granted, I have to pick them up one by one and then load them one by one. I'm not usually the lazy type, but believe me when this is a tedious process.

There!

All stocked up. All ready to go treasure hunting!

As for Fred... there's a possibility that he already left Kazimierz. But that is miniscule. I hope he's still here somewhere. And when I get him...

Well~ I'm not gonna kill him outright that's for sure. I'll just have to remind him who he belongs to.

--------------------------------------------------
Mount Mortica//Clear//1400 hours.

I'm getting closer. I think. If the screams from the forest aren't an indicator then I'm doing something wrong.

I've been walking for hours, and going to the direction where I've somewhat pieced the location together from my conversations with the others. But, I still have no idea where it is.

My thoughts were interrupted by a masked figure being launched into a tree. Unsurprisingly, It's a Reunion soldier.

"Damn mercenaries... Why do they always appear at the most inconvenient of times?!" The man angrily mutters as he struggles to stand up.

That would be bad if he managed to stand up, wouldn't it?

... It would. Therefore, I shot him in the thighs.

"AAAAAAAAAAGGHHH" The man screamed in pain.

The noise of the gunshots would maybe be ignored. As all of his friends are all fighting the bounty hunters. Plus, they're making the loudest noises right now.

You know, by murdering each other.

I approached the Reunion member and kneeled in front of him.

"Hello." I simply said. Looking at him straight in his masked face.

"...Who are you?" He growls. Moving his arm to grab his sword's hilt.

In response, I just shot his shoulders. A simple solution.

He let out another scream, while I reloaded my revolver. It's getting tedious.

"Done screaming?" I smiled at him, "Let's take of your mask, shall we?" I took of his mask only to reveal the face of an Ursine man in his 50s. His face sending an angry look at me.

What is an Ursine man in his 50s doing here in the mountains hunting for treasure and fighting bounty hunters?

Oh right. Reunion. That means he's infected.

"Who are you?!" He yells, not trying to hide his anger.

"I'm a guy. A person. Of course," I chuckled, "Now. You're searching for the knights' treasure too, correct?"

Silence.

"Look. I'm asking you the nice way. Don't make me do things that you might regret." I said in a serious voice.

Still silence.

"Ha. Suit yourself," I said as I grabbed his sword and began inspecting it, "Do you want to go blind today?" I smiled.

Shocked, the man widened his eyes before finally speaking, "What do you want?" he asks in a bitter voice.

"There you go. It isn't so hard now, is it?" I chuckled, "I want the exact location to the treasure. I know you people know it."

"Hah. Make me." He sneers mockingly.

Challenge accepted.

"Very well." I said calmy.

I then slashed at his right eye. He let out another, this time more ear-piercing scream of pain.

He so desperately wants to cover his eyes, but his arms cannot move as I had blasted his shoulders beforehand.

"Ahh...Ahhh... What the fuck?!"

"Hey man, you asked for it." I sigh. You know, I'm very good at swords! That is my personal opinion of course, "I'll ask one more time before I make you blind. Where. Is.The treasure?"

"Haa... Haa... it's... It's deep in the caves of mount Mortica!" He gasps out.

"And where is the entrance to this cave?"

"I- It's not far from here. A couple meters north..."

"mmhm" I stood up and looked around. The fighting seemed to intensify, but what do I care?

I looked down at the man and threw some pain killers at him. See? I care about life.

That is my form of thank you. I gotta go to that cave ASAP before anyone else.

Just when I stepped forward, I heard a branch break behind me.

Oh no. I have a bad feeling about this.

I slowly turned around, and when I did, I saw a horrifying thing.

"You, it's you-"

It's the islander.

"Out of my way, you." She Launches forward.

I barely managed to block her in time with the sword that I took from the Reunion soldier.

And believe me when I say she hits like a TRUCK. The earth below me literally moved when I blocked her.

It's a miracle that the sword didn't break.

She prepares for another strike and swung down. I managed to dodge that one.

my relief didn't last long, as she immediately swinged at me at a high speed. I blocked her, but I don't know how long I would last.

I somehow managed to block a barrage of her attacks, all the while retreating slowly behind. At which point I backed up against a tree. Shit.

As another swing approached me, I managed to duck and rolled just in time.

The whole fucking tree got cut clean.

Yeah fuck this. Time to run away again like the coward that I am.

I opened fire at her while I ran away and picked up the pace.

Why is she chasing me?! Just mind your own damn business! Fuck! That's right, it looks like she's after the treasure too.

CLICK! CLICK!

And I have to reload! Fucking fuck!.

I grabbed my bullets and began reloading the revolver.

Reloading a single action revolver while running away from a literal 'walking death machine' really isn't ideal. I dropped many bullets because I was sweating and shaking a lot.

I tried running into the treelines, only for it to be cut clean once again.

FUCK fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck!!

I ran all the way to the supposed entrance of the cave, only for it to be nothing more than a wall of rocks and earth. Did I take a wrong turn?! * 'I' **could be changed to "entrance of the cave"

Shit. A dead end. Is this the end for me?

I looked back at my pursuer, who is slowly walking her way towards me. Menacingly.

"Look, you don't have to do this!" I tried reasoning with her, who knows it might work?

In a split second, she launched herself towards me.

I closed my eyes waiting for the inevitable to happen. Only to feel an air rush beside me and hear the sound of stone collapsing behind me.

I looked behind and found that she drilled her way into the cave, where I can see Grani being surrounded by bounty hunters.

"Gah! The living catastrophe! You're the one who hurt captain! We can't leave you alive- Whoa! Hey!"

Grani vaulted over their heads and went deeper into the caves.

"Stop! Get back here!" The islander shouted. Only to get 'sorry!' as a response.

"Prepare to die, walking catastrophe!" The bounty hunters declares.

To which, she let out an unamused sigh, "I don't have time for you." As she swings her great sword at them, eliminating multiple at once.

The bounty hunters scattered. And when I mean scattered, they set their sights on me!

Poor, lonely, and weak me!

Can't I just take a break for god's sakes?!

I shoot the approaching bounty hunters with my revolver. Considering the nature of this revolver, I had to make each shot count.

BANG!

That's one less wretched of the earth I have to worry about.

BANG! BANG!

Two and three... pretty convenient that they lined up. Well, not like this revolver can pierce through them.

"Take this!!"

Shit. I ducked as a blade swung horizontally above me. As the bounty hunter prepares another strike, I punched him on hard on the nuts, surprising him and provided me with a great opportunity to shoot him.

BANG!

I sent a bullet flying through his chest.

Avoiding. And I meant running away. I ran away as fast as I could to a safe spot where that damned islander's strikes can't hurt me.

And ohh boy can she swing that sword of hers like It's nothing.

Multiple bounty hunters tried to gang up on her, only to be sliced clean in one swing.

I shot at the stragglers that managed to dodge her from the sidelines.

The fighting died down after a while and only me and that islander were left standing.

And she seems to be leaving me to go deeper into that cave.

Don't leave me!

"Hey! Wait!" I ran to her, but she just kept walking, "What's your name?" i ask.

Silence.

Well, that's rude. If she was a normal person I would shoot her, but in this case, I don't want to die.

So I just followed her with a couple of steps behind her.

I reached my pocket for a cigarette, lit it, and took a long drag, and tried talking to her again.

I walked to beside her, "hey, how about we form an alliance? You're after the treasure too, right? How about we split it... maybe 50-50."

Silence, her eyes glanced at me uninterested.

"70-30?"

No response, the same as before.

"90-10?"

No response either.

"So it's a 50-50 split then?" i concluded. Really this woman is a little unsociable, "so what's you're name, by the way?"

Still silence, awkward.

But finally, after a long while, which is like a minute or two, she spoke up.

"...Skadi." she said in a monotone voice.

"Alright, Skadi, you agree with my proposition yes?" No response again, "I'll take that as a yes."

Not gonna lie, today was exhausting. I was tired and I would very much like to go back to my place in Victoria... I swear I'll buy a proper house.

Skadi, being the enigma that she is, refused to talk much to me. Only saying things like 'don't interfere with my mission's or 'don't get in my way'.

Skadi suddenly stopped in her tracks and she seems to sense something.

"Skadi?" I ask.

Then, she suddenly ran deeper into the caves without waiting for me.

Oh for the love of-!

I ran after her as fast as I can but to no avail. She's just to goddamn fast!

Normally, I can somewhat match her in running speed, but if anybody remembers, I was shot. So that probably contributes somewhat to my ability to run. Just my theory though.

Didn't help the fact that I tripped over a rock when I was running which already demoralized me even more.

The closer I get to Skadi, the more I hear the sounds of swords clanking and people screaming. Another fight, great. Is there any chance that I could sit this out?

No. I need that treasure. I want that treasure.

To fund my future endevours of course.

I took a look at my revolver, making sure that it's full of ammo, and took up the sword I previously took from that Reunion soldier.

I used the sword in my right hand, while I used the revolver in my left hand.

This would be badass if I actually knew how to fight using a sword properly.

I mean, I should use a sword with my dominant arm, right? I know that much atleast.

I finally caught up to Skadi and hid behind a wall. They were fighting each other again.

I took a peek and saw Skadi and Grani fighting against those Reunion fuckers. Also, it appears Big Bob pulled a Fred on us, as he is seen commanding the Reunion soldiers. A commander huh?

That means he's my target. If I can actually fight and manage to defeat him.

Now, I could go stealth...

Ha. As if. I'm going balls to the walls and being the precision hunter that I am, I will shoot at Reunion from a distance.

And I hope they don't manage to close their distance on me.

I took a deep breath and announced my arrival and aimed at Big Bob and his surrounding soldiers.

Shots were fired, Big Bob and his guards were alarmed. He sent a dozen or so Reunion swordsmen at my way.

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

I fired at them. Missing only once.

It soon dawned on me that I actually have to use my sword to fight. Not good. I had three bullets left in the chamber.

And for that I need precise shots.

I reluctantly let them get close to me, and when they swing their swords, and we clashed.

BANG!

I shot them either in the head or the body and then slash at them.

Two more bullets.

This one guy almost cut me open but luckily I managed to block just in time. I must admit, he's a skilled swordsman. I have a hard time parrying him because he was just too fast for me.

Do you know another thing that's fast?

A bullet straight to the neck. Which ended his life.

One more bullet.

And a bullet that I might not need to use.

Looking around, the fighting had finished and Grani, Skadi and that village chief were talking to a downed Big Bob

Having no other options, I joined them in presumably gasligthing Big Bob.

"Do you intend to continue?" Skadi asks as she points her sword at his face, or mask rather. Or helmet. Or whatever it is, suit??

Big Bob snorted, "Hmph. We fight for our survival, so why would we throw away our lives?" He then looks at each of us, "I admit defeat, I'm not strong enough."

"Sorry mister Bob. But without this treasure, our village is doomed." The village chief, Carol, was it? Said apologetically.

"Step away from that chest. Give me the key." Skadi suddenly warns. Almost with a threatening voice.

"H- Huh?"

"The moment you unlock that chest, you will die." Skadi glares at her.

"But I... This is something that we've safeguarded for generations. My father once said that taking care of this key was one of our most important duties-"

"-After you use that key, it will cut open your hand and drink your blood. If it comes in contact with someone not of the Kuranta bloodline, it will break." Skadi interupts her, "Hand the key over to me!" She threatens.

"I can't... This key holds the future of everyone in the village."

"Ugh..." Grani scratches her head, "is that true, Skadi?"

"The person who hid the Knight's Treasure took drastic measures in order to protect their secrets. Only-"

"-Only those who possess the true, dauntless bloodline of Kazimierz may open the path." Carol interrupts, "'Only those who fear not sacrifice and possess the true, dauntless bloodline of Kazimierz may open the path.' Although I knew I would have to make some sort of sacrifice to open the chest, I didn't expect it to be like this." She says dejected.

Well look at this development. The chest containing the treasure supposedly requires a sacrifice to open. Someone noble I'd guess...

Argh!! What the hell is this chosen one bullshit?!

I fought my way through this to get the treasure! It was hard work!

"But I've already made up my mind for the sake of everyone in the village. I must open this chest!" She then turns to Grani, "Grani, if something happens to me, please sell the treasure and distribute the money among the villagers! I'm sorry, father..." She gulps.

"Wait. Carol, let me see that key real quick." Grani intervenes.

"Um, sure..."

"This key isn't that big, is it?" Grani says as she inspects the key.

Skadi shakes her head, "Even though it's not too big, the average person won't be able to survive losing this much blood."

"In other words, this monstrous key only sucks out a fixed amount of blood?" She turns to Carol, "Carol, I'll open the chest."

"What?!"

"Huh, but if you do that you'll."

"Suit yourself then."

The others glare at me. Was it something I said? Hey, Grani can do what she wants if she wants to. Her choice, not mine.

"Sorry Carol! Hey Skadi, make sure to catch me if I pass out, all right?" Grani walks up to the chest and turned the key.

"Wait! Grani!" Carol shouts, but it is too late, as Grani now froze and the key spews out a red mist.

The mist then suddenly pierces at Grani's heart and began to drain her. I think.

Well Grani, you're sacrifice shall not be in vain.

As I moved over to the chest and lift it open. Revealing riches that many could never fathom.

Gold and artefacts! I could sell those.

"hello there." I muttered excitedly as i rubbed my hands like the greedy person that I am.

Suddenly, Skadi's sword stopped right in front of me.

"Umm mister Valor, but are you about to take all of that?" Carol asks.

"Uhh." My eyes wander from Carol to Skadi, and from Skadi to her sword. "of course not. How about I take a couple of coins, like ten? Oh and this cute artefact with a very cute and artistic design. I wonder if the maker of it is a renowned person! Anyways I gotta go I gotta catch the bus!! See ya!"

I pulled all of those words from my ass. I quickly make my way to the surface and get away from this hell hole as soon as possible.

Probably the last time I'll go to rural kazimierz

-------------------------------------------------------------
Victoria, Cordell household//2200 hours.

"Here you go dear, your favorite salad." My wife smiled as she puts down the meal in front of me.

"Daddy! Look! I made a drawing of us for class!" my son, ages 9 runs up to me and excitedly waves the piece of paper.

I took the drawing and smiled, "this is a great drawing, son." I patted him. "Now it's time to eat, now."

"Aawwhh. But I don't wanna eat bell pepper!" he pouts.

"Daddy will read you a special bed time story if you eat it."

"Really??" his eyes shone for a bit, before he sprints to the chair and sits straight. "Mother, where is the delicacy?" he mimics someone from the TV it looks like.

I chuckled from his antics. I am glad I have such a loving family.

As we ate our food, my wife speaks up, "I'm just thankful you didn't get injured, dear. You know, i almost had a heart attack when I saw a terrorist attack in the telly."

"Monica, dear. As long as you and Junior are here, i would not leave you. I promise this." I smiled.

It was a good decision after all to abandon that monster in a Libero skin. There's no way statistically that he'd survived.

"Oh! I almost forgot, Monica Dear. I got a raise!"

Gasping excitedly, she asks, "how much?"

I simply smiled, "enough to buy a new car and go to a family vacation!"

Yep. This is the life I ever wanted.

Finis fabula

---------------------------------------
Author's note:

so yeah, this concludes the Kazimierz arc. or, well, the next chapter would.

The next chapter will be told in Fred's perspective. it'll be a bit short, but it will be a great conclusion to this arc.

and I'm pretty excited for the chapters! i have plans to introduce a long time antagonist to Valor.

until next time, have a good day!

comments and votes are appreciated.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 43.7K 137
JOZAWA Conversation Hearts & SIDE STORIES tied to this work are on my page! (Y/n) was born with a water manipulation and creation quirk, destined to...
301K 6.9K 50
"๐–๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ก๐ž๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐š๐ซ๐ž ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ?!" "๐ˆ ๐œ๐š๐ง ๐›๐ž ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ ๐€๐ง๐ ๐ž๐ฅ, ๐จ๐ซ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ ๐ƒ๐ž๐ฏ๐ข๐ฅ, ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐œ๐ก๐จ๐ข๐œ๐ž ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฌ, ๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข...
424K 21.3K 93
Everything happens for a reason - at least, that's what you'd like to believe. While playing Greed Island with your friends Killua and Gon, a spell c...
215K 7.7K 42
๐˜๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ด ๐˜ด๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฑ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ. ๐˜Œ๐˜บ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ. ๐˜”๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜ข๐˜จ๐˜ข๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ. ๐˜๐˜ต ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ด๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ง๐˜ข๐˜ฎ๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ข๐˜ณ. ๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๏ฟฝ...