A Scandalous Entanglement

Oleh Lisa_Sylvia

The last thing Emilia needs is a scandalous entanglement especially one involving her. In a society full of n... Lebih Banyak

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV

XXII

11 1 0
Oleh Lisa_Sylvia

She approached the first lady she could reach and knelt before her. A lad not more than twenty lay stiff in her arms as she cried. He was covered from head to toe in soot with his eyes as an exception as he had used his hands to protect them. The hems of his trousers were burnt and his legs had a scaring that could have only been caused by the roaring roasting fire. The woman's sobs rocked her body and despite the soft comforts of the rest of the mourning party the woman refused to stop.

Even if she was offered money for her troubles, it wasnt enough to bring back her dead child.

And what could she do in such a situation that would dry the woman's eyes? It wasn't as if she could bring back to dead could she?

"Lady Seymour." She turned for the priest who stood behind her. "We didn't expect to see you here. My lady you might fall ill from all that has occurred today. Would you like to take rest?"

Displeasing looks settled on her, judging her and an itch began underneath her skin. "I believe I have as much right to be here." Even with the way the people looked at her.

Eating her inside out.

"The boy is dead. She murmured unsure of what else to say and watched slowly as a group of men came in to separate the woman and from her child. "Indeed he and it is such a loss. He was a very fine child, strong and healthy. You should have seen how he helped at the church, especially during masses where he got to eat puddings made by the women in attendance."

"I guess mishaps happen." She murmured truly at a loss of words.

"Or perhaps his lordship couldn't provide suitable working conditions for his miners." She turned to look at the priest and even if he didn't voice it out, it was there written in plain sight, the man was filled with anger. "Truly, I am sorry for all this. I-" "It isn't your fault my lady. A mass shall be prepared tomorrow for the dead and they will be laid to rest." She nodded as she felt the first burn of tears. "And I shall tell cook to prepare something for the day."

"Thank you." The preacher walked over to the boy separated from his wailing mother and before the white cloth was fully lain on his head, he run a white feather along the boy's arms. He turned to the rest of the people. "The last ritual rights will be carried out this evening, for those interested in the practice you are required to come to the churchs courtyard. Good even."

Many including herself watched as the young lad as well as the many other dead wrapped in white clothes were taken to the church courtyard. They were placed in a circle of lit flames and incense burned on the tall stands by their side. Smelling sticks of vanilla were held by the many mourners and it was a dragging show of watching the priest cleanse each body with a pure white feather.

The people followed in his wake, placing a single coin in the bareness of the dead's hands, it was a slow march of feet and loud cries as almost every woman fell at the feet of their loss.

The wailing mother approached her. "All this could have been prevented and my son would have been alive had it not been for the evil money and the false occupation his lordship offered!" She spat at the floor and looked Emilia deep in her eyes. "You will never know what the true feeling of having a child taken away from you is. You shall never know the true feeling of having a child." She shoved past her and followed after the moving party.

Indeed she didn't know how it felt like losing a child, but she did know pain.

Especially after the fact that she hadn't been able to bear her husband a child.

"Sixteen graves, we lost sixteen men." Emilia felt his presence even before he made himself known. "They blame you for their deaths dont they?" His hands came up to her and placed a warm blanket on her shoulders. They both stared silently into the courtyard that had the preacher praying for the lives of those injured, those dead and the family members.

It was a claiming silence shared by them before being disrupted by the cold chill of the wind.

He let out a long sigh and she could tell he had been smoking heavily on tobacco. "They do. But in truth they knew of the dangers they were getting themselves in before agreeing to work for me. It is unfortunate yes, and if I could have prevented it, then I would have-"

"But you are going to do right by them are you?" She turned to him. "Provide them with something. Most of them are now widowed mothers with no men to provide." It was fairly dark and even she as hard as she tried couldn't see his face, not that she was looking for it. Though judging by the many glances they had shared that evening, he had grown a rough beard one he hadnt spent time taking care of and he had bugs underneath his eyes.

His hands found her chin distracting her thoughts and lifted her face up till despite the cold darkness they were face to face. "I will try my best." He gently whipped at a tear she didn't know she had released and pulled her into his arms.

She didn't cry. And even if she wanted to, she had good enough reason to.

You will never know what the true feeling of having a child taken away from you is. You shall never know the true feeling of having a child.

The words were a loud echo in her head and heart and even when she tried, she couldn't help the heartache she felt.

"There is something I need to ask you my lord," She pulled away from his hands. "I was wondering are the-?" She was cut short by the calling of his name. He turned his attention from her to the courtyard and walked a few steps before suggesting. "You should go back home, you seem awfully tired. And we can discuss whatever it is bothering you on the morrow."

"And what about you? You need to rest too." He lifted her right hand to his lips and kissed her.

"I wish I could, I really do." For a moment, she heard the pain in his voice before it was masked by his neutral tone. "But I am afraid I have far much to do. Good night my lady."

She watched his tall frame walk amongst the shadows and down to the court yard. The group parted ways for him to pass through but even at that she could still see the numb looks most of the townsfolk gave him. A slight wind blew by her legs and she realised he had specifically brought the blanket for her as she had neglected bringing anything to cover herself with.

You shall never know the true feeling of having a child.

The words hunted her as she made her way across the clam quiet of the night. Most of the townsfolk had gone into their homes and she was left to wonder the densely populated streets with her thoughts and feelings and her jumbled state of mind keeping her busy.

"My lady?" Emilia turned and was surprised at the kind gesture. "I made something for you to eat your ladyship. My brother's fever hasn't yet broken but the doctor promised he will be well by the morrow. Would you like to come to come inside my lady? My eldest daughter, she attends the sewing classes the seamstress gives. I am sure she would be most delighted seeing you dine with us this even and perhaps we might find you an ointment for your skin and some gloves too."

Emilia looked down embarrassed that she had somehow forgotten her own gloves, an article of clothing she had always had on her person ever since her first spoken words. She was about to chasten herself just like her mother always did when she saw the big set of curious eyes of the young girl that hanged tightly on her mothers skirt.

Her heart skipped a bit.

"Oh, but she Is beautiful!"

Devyn stared emptily at the entrance of the mine. The only thing he could see was the smoke the fire had created and even some burnt stains of dried blood. The make shift doors had long collapsed and he was sure the structures within the mine had done the same. If there was anyone still inside alive or even barely breathing, he was sure the person was dead by now.

"I do not see why this calls for such an immediate meeting. Half your portion of the mine was burnt down, your men were killed- had it not been for the first thinking of those nearby, the whole mine would have gone up in flames. What would I then tell my interest partners?! It was an accident?"

"The fire was started by someone. We weren't mining with gasoline. The air had been polluted with something flammable. The workers complained about poisonous gasses."

"Then if they did, it has nothing to do with me." Lord Berrycloth stood up with his huge mass and walked the short distance to his wine cabinet where he pulled out a fresh unopened bottle of his finest liquor. His first child, his son, whatever his name was paid his father no hid as he poured half its contents in a tall glass unwilling to share.

"Have you wondered why I was the only one affected? Your portion of the mine wasn't touched or scorched to the ground with fire-"

"No man would have leaved to tell the tale had even an inch of what I own burned down."

"And insurance? I am to pay for the damages am I not?"

The man shrugged and took his seat. The foam leather sunk down after his mass landed on it and made an oddly uncomfortable sound silting through the silence that took hold of the room.

"Your portion of the mine was burnt not mine, why should I pay for your damages?"

"But I am to also pay the other lords! Their property wasn't touched! Why must I compensate them out of my pocket and losses?" He could feel the anger riding up his spine. This was worse news than finding out he had been cut from his fathers inheritance.

"To teach you to work, to have a back bone for yourself Devyn. I am only doing this because I care about you."

"Damned you." Devyn whispered under his breath. "By charging me with expenses aside from the ones I have incurred? It is a collective agreement lord Berrycloth,- and even at that I shouldn't have to compensate the rest of the lords, yourself included on damages that could have occurred to their portions." He snapped. There was a strain in his voice and his hands were itching to strangle the man half to death.

He didn't care that the man before him was his wife's father. Damn him to death, the man was a greedy bastard.

"Then next time, lord Seymour, do not play with gasoline as you work especially in a mine. Anything can happen, anytime." And even at that, there was a hint of a mischievous sparkle in his eyes.

"I am afraid the miners have protested against working my lord," Callam spoke with a saddened voice bringing him back from his thoughts. "They refuse to step foot into it but demand something from you my lord, especially the women. They have been widowed."

He let go of the wound he had been gently yet painfully chewing at the corner of his mouth. Mr. Thomas his solicitor had stopped by and estimated the damage to be more than what he had bargained for, with expenses including the burial and rituals rites as well as the doctor's treatments for all miners injured, he was sure to spend more than what he had earned in the year, especially with lord Berrycloth demanding compensation.

At this point the thought of pulling out of his agreement seemed....welcoming.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

288 28 16
She siped on her tea with elegance yet she was feared. She dressed up like a pretty doll yet her sword swinged like lightening. Her eyes mesmerized...
289K 6.3K 31
Aidan, a homeless rogue who had a strong dislike for the female gender, never wanted​ a wife... Emilia, a rich proud-headed young lady never wanted a...
51.8K 1.8K 103
"𝙄𝙛 𝙞𝙩 𝙙𝙤𝙚𝙨𝙣'𝙩 𝙝𝙪𝙧𝙩, 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙞𝙩 𝙞𝙨𝙣'𝙩 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚" EXCERPT:- Rose asked in panic "what's wrong with me...and why are you looking so...
2.4K 308 30
Her loving husband or her loving boyfriend. who treats her like no other. He is the best thing that has ever happened to her. ' you make me soooooo h...