Unattainable Fruit

By TalexRewrites

Fruit Series Book 1: Unattainable Fruit In the grand Fantasy Country of Kaulike, Supernaturals and Humans li... More

Characters & Maps
Chapter 1: School & History
Chapter 2: Loneliness & Interest
Chapter 3: Cafe & Instructions
Chapter 4: Curiosities & Calls
Chapter 5: Visits & Nostalgia
Chapter 6: Memories & Escape
Chapter 7: Mornings & Invitations
Chapter 8: Irritation & Accidents
Chapter 9: Hangouts & Information
Chapter 10: Celebration & Partners
Chapter 11: Patience and Confusion
Chapter 12: Thoughts & Emergencies
Chapter 13: Disappointment & Histories
Chapter 14: Tea & Prophecies
Chapter 15: Training & Connections
Chapter 16: Talks & Meetings
Chapter 17: Vulnerability & Connections
Chapter 19: Doctors & Realization
Chapter 20: Calls & Meetings
Chapter 21: Information & Cabins
Chapter 22: Diplomacy & Alliances
Chapter 23: Waiting & Stories
Chapter 24: Responsibilities & Acrylics
Chapter 25: Calls & Panicking
Chapter 26: Preperation & Arrival
Chapter 27: Runs & Humiliation
Chapter 28: Realization & Boundaries
Chapter 29: Apologies & Confrontation
Chapter 30: Wishes & Revelations
Chapter 31: Changes & Awe
Chapter 32: Meetings & Intel
Chapter 33: Planning & Blushing
Chapter 34: Drives & Admissions
Chapter 35: Waiting & Blessings
Chapter 36: Marking & Love
Chapter 37: Honeymoons & Leaving
Chapter 38: Returning & Violations
Chapter 39: Meetings & Situations
Chapter 40: Questions & Agreements
Chapter 41: Preparation & Relenting
Chapter 42: Normalacy & Shadows
Chapter 43: Banishment & Panicking
Chapter 44: Information & Threats
Chapter 45: Gathering & Worry
Chapter 46: Torture & Secrets
Chapter 47: Allies & Invasions
Chapter 48: Battles & Willpower
Chapter 49: Deaths & Reliefs
Chapter 50: Recovery & Celebrations
Chapter 51: Appreciation & Invitations
Chapter 52: Clearings & Shows
Chapter 53: Preperations & Surprises
Chapter 54: Ceremonies & Joy
Chapter 55: Memories & Moments
Chapter 56: Training & Surprises
Chapter 57: Paradise & Goodbyes
Chapter 58: Peace & Endings
Epilogue
Voting, Patreon & Socials
Interactive: Feedback for Unattainable

Chapter 18: Company & Reports

134 11 1
By TalexRewrites

James' POV

The morning is still light and crisp, the evading humidity that comes with the sun still a few hours away. I walk along side a quiet Cody, his head turned towards the ground and hands shoved deep into his pockets s we make our way towards Vilin.

Even though we have a Capital where the main government buildings and biggest market in Kaulike are, Vilin is still the center of everything, the Hybrids gathering an "unbiased" hand in anything they can.

We all pretend to not know that Hybrids are firmly in bed with the Faeries, Angels and even as high up as Celeste, but it's obvious in the amount of power they've been able to hoard through the centuries. Even now as we walk along the trading road connecting Vollmond, the wolf territory deep in Wolf Woods, towards the center of Vilin, there's hundreds of posters link g the walls. Some are stupid sayings like "A Prayer a Day Chases the Night Away." The hate towards Nightlies so blatantly obvious it's hard not to choke on it, not matter how hard they try to hide behind their self righteous justice and sense of superiority. Most of the people we pass by are Angel or Faerie Hybirds, their looks of distain almost comically perfect.

And yet Cody doesn't notice any of it, his own world swallowing up reality and even his own mind until he's lost in a sea of thoughts and stimulation, one of the things he explained to me as we talked yesterday.

What he described to me sounded almost like torture, the constant noise, stimulation, and insecurities that warp the brain and send someone into a overwhelmed quaking mess.

I just hope he at least gets answers today.

Taking a chance that has my heart falling out of my ass and Sloan hiding behind perfectly manicured nails, I slide my hand into Cody's smaller one, soothing and now familiar electricity riding up my arm at the contact. I prepare myself for Cody to rip his hand away or stutter out an excuse but to my surprise his hand grips mine back fiercely, watery red eyes staring straight forward as he holds on to my for dear life.

My heart squeezes, knowing that I can't even begin to imagine what he's going though and how it must feel, grateful he's allowing me to be here period. I enjoy the slow strolling pace we're taking, grateful for any time I get to spend with Cody. Something about him seems to both calm me down and inspire me to be more. Do more. Just by him being myself.

'You're such a sap, James.' Sloan teases but I don't miss the way he always swoons whenever Cody gives us his shy little smile and warm us with his presence.

'I think I'm okay with that.' Is my only answer as I squeeze Codys hand in reassurance as we turn the corner as the building comes into view, the hospital one of many medical and government buildings, the avenue crowders, grey and depressing. The posh feel to the air is almost stifling and I almost laugh in relief when Cody mentions quietly that his friend Taylor is coming to pick him up.

It does make me a little sad that he doesn't want me to come and get him, but I understand the need to get support and comfort from your village. Hell, I tell Alex and Zee everything.

We finally arrive at the hospital, the custodian, an Incubus, Vampire Hybrid washing the glass doors, nodding as we near the entrance. I watch a Fae-Angel kick over the bucket of cleaning solution the custodian was using, disgust filling me at the disrespect, but I turn towards Cody, making him my priory at the moment, even though it pains me to turn away.

"Are you okay?" I ask him, wishing that I was as good with words as Artemis and Jasper were.

Cody looks up and offers me a tired looking smile. "Honestly, I don't know the last time I was okay. But I guess I'm finally getting answers and I can appreciate that." He tells me honestly and I hold back a laugh. It always seems like his first instinct is to tell the truth as naked and real as it comes, something that always seemed like a lost Art in this day and age.

I offer Cody a smile and lift his hand to kiss the back of it before lowering it and letting go. "No matter what you learn today, I want you to know that my feelings won't change, and I'll be here for you whenever you're ready. Whenever you need me, I'll be there." I hold his gaze, his hazel eyes mesmerizing and captivating, the moment deepening until we're only inches apart.

Understanding that this isn't the time or the way I want to do things, I look away, breaking the spell, clearing my throat as Cody takes a step back.

"Thank you. That means a lot." He tells me and I can tell me means it. There's a lot of things that go unspoken by me, but I hold myself back for Cody's sake, always wanting him to be comfortable and feel safe. "Will you.... will you be at the pack house later?" He asks me, his tinted cheeks giving away what he's really asking.

"Yes." I'll wait for you. "I'll still be there." I assure him with a smile and I watch as his shoulders relax, and for the briefest second it's as if I can feel Jessie there with us, thanking me.

With my own ears pink and suddenly feeling like it's time to go, I tell Cody goodbye and watch as he heads into the hospital before I turn around and head back Vollmond, using my super speed to cut the time in forth, getting back to the packhouse in ten minutes.

'Don't think I missed the way you got all flustered at the thought of Jessie.So much so that you ran away like a chicken.' Sloan snickers and I mentally curse, hating that I can't avoid my wolf the way I can everyone else.

'I'm not a chicken and I didn't run away. Besides, Jessie...." I think back towards yesterday, the way Cody's persona changed entirely, reminding me of Sloan and myself, affirming our destiny for one another. I think about the way he called me beautiful, and that awe filled but possessive look that gleamed in his eyes when he looked over me on his knees. I feel my body burst into flames, heat traveling over my body at the memory of his eyes taking me in. The way he already seemed to convinced and accepting of our Mating.

It makes my head spin and my heart pound.

'And your cock hard.' Sloan teases in a singsong voice and I groan in part embarrassment part in awe, relishing the peace and happiness that seems to settle over me when it comes to Cody and Jessie. And the hope that maybe I will get the fantasy ever after Sloan always dreamed of. Maybe it's not so far fetched after all.

It's on this high that I enter the pack house, families and warriors alike enjoying the packhouse on the day of rest, a required unofficial holiday for those of us in Vollmond.

So it surprises me when I come up the stairs and find Titan Timari and Johnathan, my most skilled and high ranking warriors reporting into Zee's office.
I remember the conversation from yesterday and frown, not expecting good news if they're back already, especially since they had until tomorrow to make a report. I kick up my speed a little to launch me down the hallway and step into Zee's office as the Warriors sit down, Alex and Zee behind her desk. Alex looks up at the same moment I feel his mental link trying to connect his mind link with my own. He nods in acknowledgment when he sees me before turning back towards the Warriors as I go to close the door behind us.

Every few years, the Alpha of each pack gets a high ranking Witch to come into our Pack House and put up wards and noise barriers so that we can't be put under attack and important information can't be stolen without being present at said meeting which helps with limiting suspects in information leaks.

Once secure, I walk over towards the side of Zee's desk and sit on the edge, turning my attention towards the three most skilled warriors in our ranks.

"Alpha James, Beta Alex and Elder Zee gave us our mission to gather intel from around the pack and bordering areas to see if there's been any suspicious activity. I know we had another day to report in, but the information we've gathered is too disturbing to hold off." Timari starts, her unusual small stature for a wolf does nothing to limit her strength, one of the strongest and most skilled fighters of her year, ranking number two in Commanders. Titan speaks up next, my pit of worry growing bigger by the second as they share their findings.

"In both downtown and around the lake everyone been saying the same thing, Boss." He nearly growls, the wolf's deep voice and intimidating size and looks are enough to make anyone step out of the way. Surprisingly the wolf is a little shy and even a bit of a book worm and strategists. Peoples underestimating him based off his size and strength are usually the first to fall. "They're reporting shadow like creatures coming through shadows and darkness recking havoc."

"I even got whiff of a rumor of one of these shadows taking over someone's body on the edge of Melamar." My third commander, Johnathn tells me. My mind races with all the possibilities, noting that this information means that as far as we know between Vollmond and Melamar, there's been an increase of crime around the same time there's sightings of Shadows.

"I know you don't want to be that person, and I don't either, guys, but let's face it. The only ones that can properly control shadows to that degree are Daemons and Enchanted." Zee finally says, addressing the elephant in the room.

I give a sigh and hang my head back, my commanders silent though their internal confusion and worry is all but screaming at me. "As much as I hate to sound like a rotten fucking Hybrid, I can't deny that the evidence fits the bill." I concede, but I don't finish there. "However, just because it's a Daemon's M.O doesn't mean that it's all of Indrid we're facing." I explain, referring to the Daemon lands located at the tip of the South west part of Kaulike, bordered only by Ameden, home of the Enchanted.

"That's also true." Alex says, giving a pointed look at a Zee.

Johnathan holds his hands up to stop us and stares at me point blank. "Alpha, are you saying that it's a possibility that we could be facing another Daemon War? After three hundred years?" He asks. I find myself asking the same question deep down. Growing up we all learned about the thousands of years that Daemonkind fought against the Divine Children, Satan and her Devils leading the charge against the Goddess of all Celeste. For thousands of years there was an endless cycle of war and Satan doing all she could to divide Supernaturalkind and have us destroy Divinty. But once Nightlies and Divine Children were able to make the Peace Treaty, they banded together and we're finally able to beat Devils and banish them to Hell, a magic Realm sealed away by Celeste herself.

After that of course, every hundred years or so the Daemon King, his army and some band of Enchanted would rage war on the rest of the Supernaturals attempting to get Celeste to release Satan so she can finish what she started. But the last war was almost three hundred years ago.

There would ne no reason for them to start up again now? Right?

"I highly doubt that's what is happening, but we definitely need to gather as much information as possible so that we can be prepared for whatever comes." I answer, hoping that I'm right.

"So how do you wanna handle this, Boss?" Titan asks and they all look at me expectedly. I take a second to think about it before I respond.

"I want to keep this as far away from Vilin and the High Council as possible. If they catch wind of this they won't care if it's true or not or what's really going on, they'll crush the Daemons and Enchanted just to make an example." I tell them honestly, taking a note from Cody's book. I send a mental link to my best spy, asking for their audience before continuing." I'm going to send Charlotte to the Winter Moon pack, Titan, you're going with her." I tell them as a tactical move. The Winter Moon pack revels strength above all else, so sending my best spy and toughest warrior will be a show of good faith. "Alex you're with them too, I'll explain more when Charlotte gets here."

"What about us?" Timari asks and John nods in agreement. 

"I need you guys to head into Rouge territory. Take as many warriors as you need, but I need to know if it's happening there,too. We can't leave our backs undefended." Not to mention what a fucking nightmare it would be if Daemons actually managed to infiltrate, or even worse, make a deal with the exiled wolves, and cut off our legs before we knew what hit us.

I watch as Zee takes notes, making sure to put everything in code, marking everything we've discussed for records. In case we're not to make it.

Charlotte suddenly appears behind the three commanders and gives everyone a fucking heart attack, showing us once again why she's the packs best spy.

"Yes, Alpha? You requested an audience?" She says sweetly, her five foot five height almost a record breaking low for the pack which she wears as a badge of honor. She claims that people often forget about an Omega's extraordinary abilities that seem to go beyond even the supernatural, and that her size and adorable features only go to serve as her most powerful weapon. And from her mission success rate, I have no room to argue.

We fill her in on the reports and her missions before I continue listing what needs to happen to prepare for what's coming. 

Standard procedure for important issues but one that always chilled me to the bone.

"Zee, I need you to somehow get Artemis here the same day the Winter Moon Pack agrees to meet. If she's busy, get her to send Lord Azrin." I explain and she nods her understanding before I give them one and final absolute rule. "And no one utters a single words of this to my parents." I offer no explanation and I'm not even sure I have one other than a gut feeling. Or maybe you could call it hidden spite, but they all nod their agreement without hesitation anyway.

This is my team now. My pack.

And it feels damn good even if it's not official.

"And what will you be doing oh fearless leader?" Alex asks me, referring to my lack of self action plan and the rest look pointed at me as well.

"I'm sorry guys, I know I gave you a lot but Cody asked me to be there for him. And before you say anything Zee, I ended it with Jessica. And Cody's wolf seems to agree with me." I tell her, ignoring the immediate teasing and prodding that comes from my instantly fangirling commanders.

Zee's eyes widen. "You met Jessie? I haven't seen him since...... well if you have that bastard's blessing you have mine." She tells me smiling fondly and suddenly I have a million questions about the way the two of them were before that day scarred them forever.

"Oh my, our Alpha has heart eyes." Timari giggles fanning herself.

"Whipped already and not a mark on him." John agrees, shaking his head in mock dismay.

"He's in loooooove." Char sings shaking her finger at me.

"Pink suits you, Boss." Titan rumbles and the entire office breaks into teasing laughter, and I join in, grateful the tense air has finally released, loosening the grip on my chest.

Whatever it is, we'll get through it. All of us. And Cody and I will finally be able to live in peace without the pain of loneliness.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I really love this chapter and am extremely getting into this book. I want so badly to be a high fantasy author close to the likes of sarah J mass and I think in time i'll definitely get there.

Thoughts?

Comments?

QOTD: Favorite juice?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.9M 501K 199
In the future, everyone who's bitten by a zombie turns into one... until Diane doesn't. Seven days later, she's facing consequences she never imagine...
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...
17.4M 545K 37
"It's like he's a different breed of werewolf. Something... beyond us." • • • Adrienne Gage has spent her entire life being shunned and punished for...
6.6M 179K 55
⭐️ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏꜱᴛ ʀᴇᴀᴅ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ ꜰᴀɴꜰɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏɴ ᴡᴀᴛᴛᴘᴀᴅ ⭐️ ʜɪɢʜᴇꜱᴛ ʀᴀɴᴋɪɴɢꜱ ꜱᴏ ꜰᴀʀ: #1 ɪɴ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ (2017) #1 ɪɴ ᴋʏʟᴏ (2021) #1 IN KYLOREN (2015-2022) #13...