Wish Upon A Demon [EDITING]

By echoyourname_

Book 1 in the 'Paraverse' series. "I wish to become beautiful, inside and outside." For eighteen-ye... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE.
GUIDE TO THE UNDERWORLD
PREFACE.
0.
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.

10.

29.8K 1.6K 279
By echoyourname_

hooked onto the chorus and the beat 

CHAPTER - TEN

My scream was shrill.

It was something you'd expect to hear in horror movies. A scream loud enough to wake neighbors and give kids nightmares. The scream was odd to me as well because I didn't know I had such a powerful voice. I could break glass with this pitch, honestly. A hand clasped over my mouth, shutting my scream off. Another hand came around my waist, pulling me back to a hard chest. I raised a brow, trying to turn my neck so I could see just who it was that was handling me with such ease.

"Damn it, Faye, it's just me." Demon boy says slowly.

I relax in his arms, his hand still on my mouth. Realizing my hands were free, I push his hands away from me and glare his way as I enter the house, demon boy following behind me. I tried to close the door so he wouldn't be able to enter but gave up soon after realizing it was no use. Walking into the kitchen, I open the fridge to grab a bottle of orange juice and a glass from the cabinet behind the counter. I'm twisting open the cap when demon boy slowly strolls in, taking his own sweet time to look around my house as though he hadn't done it a thousand times before.

"Pour some for me as well." Demon boy says, stopping by the wall outside the kitchen that held up many pictures.

Some pictures were of my childhood and some were of my parents. Straightening my shoulders, I go to grab another glass and then place it on the counter beside me, eyes going to demon's boy's darkly dressed form. I don't know why at that moment I'm reminded of the day at school when he held me close on the rooftop. Being in his arms had felt so warm and cozy and just, so right, that it scared me. I didn't want to feel this way in the slightest bit but it was like I couldn't help it.

All this made me feel like I was the heroine of a paranormal romance and frankly, I didn't want to be that.

I fight the warmth blooming in my cheeks as I pour juice into both the glasses. Then I lift my glass to my lips, eyeing demon boy once again like the obvious creep I was soon becoming if not one already. Why did I have to like him? Why demon boy? Why couldn't my feelings for Micheal persist? Sweet, handsome Micheal who along with his weird family hid tools under beds and had an arrow exactly like the one that was shot to kill me. Yeah, it's a good thing I didn't like him anymore. Continuing to like him would've become super hard since he was on the hunt for my blood.

Besides, how could I like anyone else when I couldn't stop thinking about demon boy all day, every day?

It was this weird obsession that was beginning within me. Maybe it was because he was the first man, first every person actually, to show me any attention but my feelings for him were growing in intensity quickly. I was scared because I'd never felt this way before and because I didn't want to feel this way. Especially since I was sure something was going on with demon boy that concerned me but I had no idea about. And something about his eyes called to me because I swear, every time he looked at me, those violet twinkles winked at me.

No, No, No! I had to stop this before it became something that I absolutely had no control over. I didn't want to have feelings for a demon. I didn't want to be hooked onto a demon. I didn't even know how he looked like for fûck's sake! Men of a supernatural descent were not exactly my type and among them, given my experience, demon boys were an absolute no-no. I didn't want a man who masked his face, granted wishes and teleported for a living.

Not your type, Faye.

Not your type, girl.

"Who's not your type?"

My shriek wasn't as loud as my scream though they'd both stemmed from surprise. I was so immersed in my thoughts like a dork that I hadn't noticed that demon boy had joined me by the counter, casually leaning against it as he sipped from the glass. I immediately tried to think of nothing and tried to just keep my mind blank because I knew he liked to go through my thoughts and the last thing I wanted was for him to find out about my feelings. Judging by his reaction, I guess he didn't know how I felt, luckily, or he would've begun the teasing by now.

"Cause I'll tell you who is not your type. And it's that Kingston boy."

I walk away from demon boy, glass in hand, into the living room so I can sit on the couch. He follows me, carrying his glass with him as well and then sits beside me.

"Well, that's not your choice to make," I say, trying not to make eye contact. Demon boy didn't need to know that the Micheal thing was over. I wasn't planning on telling him anytime soon either. When I started getting answers regarding his sudden inference into my life and his random disappearances, then, I would be more open with him.

"Why not?" He asks. I sigh as he continues. "All choices related to my pet need to have my confirmation first."

"Not really," I grit out. Leaning back against the couch cushion, I turn his way. "Why are you so curious about my life anyway?" I ask. "And spare me the wish and pet bullshit. We both know that there is something else going on here," I add quickly before he replies, surprised at myself for bringing up that topic. I hadn't intended to but couldn't stop the words from my mouth once I started speaking.

He sighs but I know he's probably smirking inside. Sadistic prick, getting off on keeping me in the dark. "You'll know. Soon." Is all demon boy replies. I scoff, annoyed.

"And when exactly is 'soon'?" I emphasize with air quotations.

"Soon."

I give up after that.

I'm startled by a noise from the passageway. Meeting demon boy's eyes in confusion, I get up from the couch and walk quickly to the front door area. The knob of the door rattles vigorously for a second or two before it opens with a force and bangs against the wall. A man walks in, his back to me. In front of him, is a tall blonde with whom it looks like he's making out.

I stand there, watching the couple who don't sense my presence and continue to play tonsil tennis.

Then, when I glimpse the man's face, vomit crawls up my throat, ready to be let out because it's none other than my father. My dad is with another woman in my sacred house filled with the memories of my mother and it looks like he doesn't give a shit. I wait quietly for them to stop tongue fûcking each other and notice me, folding my arms.

When they don't, I throw my hands in the air, shouting, "Oh for the love of god!"

The two of the break apart, slowly. I'm disgusted and it shows on my face. My anger rises when I see a tinge of pink on my father's cheeks. He was an ignorant parent but I'd never expected him to taint mom's memories like this. I did want my dad to move on and be happy. He could date and do whatever the fûck he wanted outside the house but the one line I didn't expect him to cross was to bring women here. With his teenage daughter in the picture, this act took his ignorance to a whole new level. I turn my eyes to the woman. As she knots her fingers and forcefully smiles at me, I realize she probably isn't that far apart from me in age.

Grossed out and furious, I lower my eyes, trying not to show my dad exactly how mad I was. It wasn't like he'd care anyway. He was clearly invested in ruining what was left of mom and I didn't want to look at his face another second. As I leave to go upstairs, I notice the woman's eyes widen at something behind me. I turn around but see nothing there. There's a little bit of smoke left so I know demon boy must've left a few seconds before, after he knew I was safe. I didn't bother with his departure because I knew I would see him upstairs in my room later at night. But even if he were here, I knew that he wouldn't be visible to anybody's eyes aside from mine.

So what was the blonde looking at?

As I stare at her suspiciously, my dad speaks up.

"This is my daughter, Faye." My dad gestures to me. I don't even attempt a smile and keep my face impassive, lips pressed tightly together. She nods at me in a silent hello with a smile that seems less forced. "And Faye," My dad pauses, sucking in a breath. I already know I won't like what I'm going to hear. "This is Cherry-" What the fûck? "-My girlfriend." Probably should've saved the WTF moment for now.

Tall Blonde or Cherry as her name is, looks at my dad and then to me. She steps forward, extending a hand. "Hi, Faye." She says, confidently, all of a sudden. "It's nice to meet you." I glare at her hand, not wanting to touch her but at the same time not wanting to be rude to her or my dad although I didn't like either of them at the moment. Slowly clasping my hand in her's, I nod.

"Same," Is all I say before I rip my hand from hers and excuse myself to go to my room.

Running upstairs, I pause for a moment before I enter my room and shut the door. Then, instead of sitting on the perfectly good chairs I have or lying on my bed, I sit on the floor, legs folded, unsure of how to feel. Slowly rocking back and forth, I try to figure out my feelings. I mean, I know I didn't know or remember my mother that well, but, to me, she had always been this pure and beautiful memory contained within the walls of this house. I'd always assumed my dad felt the same too.

And to bring someone else, someone that could potentially be taking her place, into our house felt disrespectful. It was like tainting a shrine. It hurt more than I thought it would. I knew a day would come when my dad would move on and I wanted to be happy for him but I couldn't. For this day to come, for the blonde to be in his house, for me to find out this way - the whole thing was just messed up. I tried not to tear up because I didn't want my dad's bullshit to affect me so much but like all things recently, I couldn't help it and a tear dripped down my cheek anyway.

And exactly on cue, I felt demon boy's presence.

He sat down next to me. I didn't turn towards him but I knew that he was looking at me. Demon boy shifts close. I continue rocking back and force, more tears falling down my cheeks, trying not to sob. Then as slowly as he came in through the balcony, he extends his hands, wrapping them around me. My cheek hits his sweater-clad chest gently as the first sob breaks out. Demon boy surrounds me as more sobs and tears follow.

He shields me by holding me close.

And then, ever so gently, I feel soft lips touch my forehead. They press against my skin, soft and comforting. I cry more, a little touched at the affection I'm being shown. Feeling ever so safe in demon boy's arms as I sob, I let go of all my previous doubts about him and focus on his embrace.

And slowly, I let myself be comforted by the enigma that is demon boy. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.4K 452 6
Y/n Mccall attended Blackmore University in New York, where she had met Tara and her friends leading to her making new friends and distracting hersel...
1 0 1
Jason Barker and Rhianna Sidgeworth are a pair of ordinary fourteen year olds, each mirroring the other with the usual symptoms of growing up. Confus...
360K 18.5K 85
Book 1 - His Mate Book 2 - His Mate: The Demon King An unexpected union. Hatred turned to love. Mysteries arose. History explained. Unexpected figh...
435K 13.5K 39
"Where I'm from, the fires are hot." He grasped my ass tightly. His mouth was close to my ear. "Nothing but endless screams of tortured souls for hou...