Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

By turtlecat1218

The last few years haven't been kind to Peter Quill, but if there's one thing still going for him, it's the G... More

Opening Scene
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Author's Note- Slight Change in Plans
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Author's Note- What I Do When I'm Not Writing
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30

Chapter 7

163 2 0
By turtlecat1218

Royal Palace, Sovereign

"I'm disappointed."

He'd expected as such and done everything he could to mentally prepare for the confrontation. Yet still, Adam flinched, then cursed himself. Flinching was a sign of weakness, and that was the last thing he needed right now.

"I created you for the sole purpose of destroying the Guardians." Ayesha's tone remained unnervingly calm as she stared down at him from her throne. "And yet, for all the perfection I put into you, you malfuction the moment you come face to face with them."

The words were like a steamroller to an already flattened ego, and despite every instinct telling him not to, Adam looked up to face his creator and started to rise from his bow. "High Priestess, I—"

He stopped when Ayesha raised a hand, her gaze hardening. "Did I give you permission to speak?"

No, but he'd wanted to apologize—no, he hadn't. What he'd done couldn't be solved with an "apology." He'd failed his mission, he'd failed his people, and he'd failed his sole purpose. He didn't deserve the comfort an apology would give.

At least, that's what the thoughts swirling about in his head told him.

"No, High Priestess." He lowered his gaze again and started to sink back down into a bow, but a wave of Ayesha's hand stopped him.

"You may remain standing." She considered him for a moment, the silence near unbearable, before remarking, "Fortunately for you, there is a way we can prevent any further shortcomings..."

At that, Adam perked up, and his spirits only lifted more when the click of footsteps sounded from behind him as the High Evolutionary strode into the throne room. The man paused to give Adam a concerned look before stepping past him to the foot of Ayesha's throne.

"I thought I asked to not be disturbed while on my ship."

Ayesha ignored him, her focus still set on Adam as she continued with her speech. "In your creation, I sought to endow you with powers to rival the gods...and the entities." She spat the word out like it was poison, and in the back of Adam's mind, something flickered, but never cleared. "And so, I attempted to sew our people's finest source of power into your veins, the very same power that our beloved batteries use as fuel. While they require charging ports and technology to harvest such a gift, you need only a thought. It was a terribly tricky bit of genetic coding, but nothing I couldn't handle. Unfortunately, it appears you do require some way to refine such a power, lest it render you unconscious and at the mercy of a hundred dirty animals."

Adam winced at her last words. Darkness had claimed him long before he hit the streets of Counter Earth, but the Sovereign rescue team had awakened him just in time to get pelted by one last rock before they managed to subdue the mob of disgusting civilians.

Adam wasn't sure why the people were "disgusting." It was simply the first adjective that presented itself to him.

"High Evolutionary." Ayesha's voice snapped Adam out of his thoughts. "Have you finished what we discussed?"

The High Evolutionary considered the question, then looked to Adam before turning back to Ayesha. "It's not perfect, but—"

"Of course it's not. I would never expect such glorious achievements out of you."

The High Evolutionary bristled, and for a moment, Adam feared he would snap on the High Priestess, but the man maintained his steady composure. "I am confident in my design, High Priestess. But I've barely been at it for a year, and it's completely untested. The procedure alone could—"

He fell silent as Ayesha raised her hand, though the frenzied fire in his eyes didn't dampen.

"He can handle it." At that, the high priestess looked to Adam, the change in her tone and gaze sending a chill down his spine. "And he will handle it. Let it be a lesson of the pains of failure."

The High Evolutionary looked over his shoulder at Adam, the concern in his gaze doing very little to calm the young man's fraying nerves. He didn't know why he was nervous. He shouldn't have been nervous, but he couldn't shake the feeling, especially not when the High Evolutionary turned back to Ayesha and muttered, "Torture is a poor 'lesson' for a young mind."

The word made Adam's heart stutter in his chest. But Ayesha merely shrugged. "It will be effective, and that is all that matters. Adam"—she looked to her creation, gaze piercing—"I expect no resistance."

Adam wanted to argue. He wanted to fight. He wanted to run. But instead, he forced in a deep breath and nodded. "Of course, High Priestess."

Ayesha nodded her approval before turning back to the High Evolutionary and gesturing at Adam. "Go on. If this takes a moment longer than it must—"

"—you'll have me executed," the High Evolutionary finished dryly before turning on his heel, his hand disappearing into his pocket as he strode up to Adam, who did his best not to waver.

But the High Evolutionary managed to catch even the slightest trembling, and he paused to offer a sympathetic smile. "If it means anything, I was against this from the start." His voice was low.

Adam started to nod, but then the High Evolutionary's hand shot up, and there was a sharp pain on the side of his neck, a sharp pain that turned to a horrible burning sensation before the man backed away. Adam's hand flew up to his neck, only to find touching the spot made the pain worse.

But he was only left to suffer a few seconds before an odd, tingling sensation began coursing through his veins, a tingling sensation that made his legs falter. Someone was there to catch him before he hit the floor, and he looked up to see who exactly it was, but all he found was a fuzzy, dark haze. Slowly, the haze turned to a thick, black cloud, billowing out across his vision until his senses finally left him, and he found himself in complete, suffocating darkness.

...

Gold room.

Black coats.

Purple suit.

Needles.

Wires.

Scalpel.

"Gem."

Pain.

"Cosmic."

Pain.

"Perfect."

Pain.

Pain.

Pain.

Darkness.

...

It started with a dull ache, one easily muted by the comforting embrace of the abyss. And then, it turned from dull to acute, then from an ache to a throb, and from a throb to a sharp, searing sensation that overpowered even the steady grip of unconsciousness.

Adam's eyes snapped open, only to close a moment later as the light of the room blinded him, though such a pain seemed laughable compared to what was pounding out in his head.

A round of knives to the front of the skull would have been kinder, and Adam didn't even bother trying to open his eyes again as his hands flew to his forehead, searching for relief they'd never find. In fact, they only succeeded in worsening the pain when they landed on top of a little, raised bit in the center of his forehead, and Adam failed to resist a cry as a new spasm shot through him, its white-hot fury leaving no nerve untouched.

He wanted to cry out again, to let tears fall, to crumple in on himself as his skull continued to throb with the force of a thousand stars, but his mind told him otherwise. He wouldn't cry out; he wouldn't shed tears. He'd lay in silence, suffering as he deserved to, until the pain finally wore off and allowed him to make a speedy return to the field.

The thought turned Adam's stomach, as if the pain already hadn't enough. A speedy return to the field? It was expected, of course, but just the thought of moving a hand sent a whole new jolt of pain down his spine. He wasn't going anywhere with any sort of speed, no matter what his prescribed thoughts told him.

No, he couldn't go, he couldn't move, he couldn't do anything but sit and swallow down ever cry that threatened to slip loose. Whoever had done this to him had left him with the meager courtesy of removing all his armor and placing him in bed, but even that couldn't provide enough comfort. He broke out into sweats soon enough, and the sheets stuck to his skin as he writhed around, even the slightest twitch awakening a whole new spell of agony.

He didn't want to move, but he couldn't lie still either. The pain crawled under his skin and made his stomach roil as if he might throw up, making it near impossible to lie still, and no matter what he did, the torture at the front of his skull refused to die down.

Time passed—seconds, minutes, hours? He wasn't sure. Pain spared none of his senses, but he knew he'd been long enough to understand that no help was coming. He didn't know why he expected it in the first place. The High Priestess had made her distain for his performance clear, and if this was his punishment, he certainly wouldn't be allowed the comfort of someone checking on him, much less helping him through his pain.

And yet, deep within his preconceived thoughts, Adam knew how truly cruel this was. To put a new life through such utter torment, with no aid or explanation, was evil—no, it wasn't. If the High Priestess decreed it, then he would suffer alone, no matter how horrible it made him feel.

Yes, he would suffer alone. Completely and totally—

"Hello?"

The voice was faint, muffled by the short distance between his bedroom and the living area, but Adam's mind still sparked with recognition, and he opened his mouth to call out to her, but even one word turned to a garbled groan as the pain in his head spiked once more.

He was distantly aware of footsteps moving down the hall, but his numb mind couldn't make out any more details until there was a gasp from very close by, followed by a soft, "Oh, gods."

Adam wanted to give her a proper greeting, but he was forced to settle for a slightly more intelligible groan as he forced his eyes open. He knew it was her by voice alone, but he still wanted to see her. He had since he'd left her on the balcony.

"Adam..." Her brow furrowed as she approached his bedside, reaching out to take one of his hands from its white-knuckled grip on the sheets, only to draw away when he flinched at her touch. "I'm sorry, I didn't—"

Adam silenced her as he reached out and grabbed hold of her hand again, forcing the best smile he had despite the burst of pain that shot through him at the simple action.

"No. I..." He trailed off, his head pounding with the two words alone, and he settled to give her hand a weak squeeze to try and convey the rest.

The woman offered him a weak smile of her own as she sat down on the edge of the bed, her thumb running across the back of his hand gently as she examined him closer. Her touch was like a drug, and Adam found himself with the most meager of reprieves as he focused on the feel of her hand in his. It couldn't take away all the pain, of course, but it was certainly better than nothing.

"What did they do to you?"

Adam sighed. Her curiosity was appreciated, but answering...

"Upgrades." His voice was strained. Whispers had been louder. "I...I failed, so...I deserve it."

The pounding overcame him, and he groaned, his eyes snapping shut and his entire body seizing up as a new round of white-hot agony rushed down his spine.

The woman narrowed her eyes. "So, Ayesha did this?"

Adam nodded and managed to add, "And the High Evolutionary."

The thought hurt. The High Evolutionary had been kind to him before—or at least, kinder than Ayesha—and his earlier apology made much more sense now, but it still didn't lessen the feeling of betrayal.

The woman considered him, her lips pursed as she reached out to brush his hair back. Her touch was delicate, but even still, pinpricks of pain shot across Adam's skull at the feeling, and the woman drew her hand away when he winced.

"Sorry."

"No...no..." Adam sucked in a breath and tried not to wince again. "Not...your fault." He hated how stupid he sounded, but anything more was too agonizing.

The woman offered him a sad smile. "Well, it's not yours either." She paused, her gaze growing distant before she turned back to him. "I...I think I might know how to help you, but it's—"

She cut off as Adam waved a weak hand. "Please."

The idea of relief was elating, but he couldn't muster enough energy to put excitement into his tone, much less word a better reply. But the woman seemed to understand, because she set down his hand and reached out towards his head again.

"Here. Hold still."

Adam was tempted to shy away—she was headed for the epicenter of his pain, after all—but he forced another breath before managing, "Just don't—ah!"

Her fingers brushed against the spot on his forehead, and for a moment, there was a burst of bright, blinding pain that made the rest of his suffering seem dull in comparison, and Adam failed to stifle a cry as the pain...faded away?

Slowly, he pushed himself up into a sitting position as the searing sensation at the front of his skull settled to a dull throb. There was still some pain, but it was manageable. Forgettable, even, especially when he had his savior to focus on.

The markings across the woman's skin seemed to be fading back to their usual glow, but a few on the back of her hand still shone brighter than he'd ever seen them before. The rest of her demeanor had undergone subtle change as well. Even when she'd been concerned, there'd still be some level of confidence in how she'd carried herself. Now, she just seemed hesitant, nervous.

"Before you ask any—"

She cut off as Adam leaned forward and wrapped his arms around her in an action his mind identified as a "hug" a moment later. But he didn't care what it was call, or if it was an odd thing to do to someone who was barely an acquaintance, or if the Sovereign saw it as a sign of weakening sentiment. He wanted it. He needed it.

And after a moment, he was surprised to find her arms tighten around him, one hand running up and down his back as he buried his head into her shoulder. Her touch was like fireworks across his bare skin, and he wanted nothing more than to stay like that forever. Let the Sovereign, the Guardians, the whole cursed galaxy fall to pieces, so long as he could stay in this woman's embrace.

But soon enough, the weight of his action settled in, and Adam drew away, a heat rising into his face. "I-I apologize—"

"Don't." The woman offered him a little smile as he looked up to meet her gaze. "It was...it was nice."

"Oh." Adam blinked. "It was?"

The woman narrowed her eyes, her tone almost hurt. "Did you think it wasn't?"

"No, no." The heat returned to his face, and distantly, the word "idiot" popped into his thoughts. "I was under the impression it was...I didn't..." Well, perhaps his thoughts were right for once. "I'm sorry, I don't know what I'm trying to say."

The woman laughed, though not unkindly, then graced him with one of her lovely smiles. Now that his mind wasn't being bent by pain, Adam could remember just how much he enjoyed those smiles. And that laugh.

"I think I get it. But really, don't think anything of it." She gestured to his head. "You don't deserve to be in pain. I just wish I could do more."

Adam shrugged. "You're the only one here, and you tempered my pain. That's more than enough for me."

The woman's eyes brightened, but before either of them could say another word, the distinct sound of a door being thrown open sounded from down the hall, followed by harried footsteps headed towards the room.

At the noise, Adam tensed, and the woman's eyes widened.

"Shit."

He'd never expected such a word from her, but he didn't have time to dwell on it as she scrambled off the bed and rushed to the far corner of the room just as the door flew open to reveal Ayesha in all her gilded, seething glory.

"Where is she?"

Instinctively, Adam drew the sheets up his chest as his creator stormed into the room, her eyes alight with a fury that made her earlier self seem tame in comparison.

"I said, where is she?" Ayesha left him no time to answer as she stormed over to the wardrobe, nearly ripping the doors from its hinges in her haste to begin rifling through its contents. "I swear, when I find that little witch..." She moved away from the wardrobe, swatting at the air like a madwoman—though she came dangerously close to hitting the woman, who ducked out of the way just in time. "I know you're here, Fate! Show yourself, and I might save you from a long, painful death by strangling you right here!"

When the empty air yielded no results, her attention roamed the room, looking for something else to disturb in her search, and for a horrible moment, Adam feared she might just rip the bedsheets away from him, but after a moment of consideration, she shook her head and settled to check under the bed instead.

Adam didn't dare look back at the woman in the corner. He could see she was still there out of the corner of his eye, but he wasn't about to be the reason Ayesha caught her. Though, there was no way she was the one Ayesha was actually after. How would the high priestess even know she existed?

"High Priestess?" Maybe there'd been a mix up, and Ayesha would leave, and he could go back to his conversation with the lovely mystery woman.

But one look from the high priestess dashed such a hope.

"I know you were talking to someone," Ayesha hissed. "I could hear you. Where is she?"

Adam did his best to feign confusion. "Where is who?" When she looked like she might explode, he added, "I haven't seen a soul since, well, since the throne room. I might have been muttering to myself while I was lying down..."

Ayesha paused, considering her creation for a moment before sucking in a deep breath and walking over to sit on the side of the bed, right where the woman had been minutes before. And, just like the woman, she reached out and took Adam's hands in her own, though, for her, he had to force himself not to flinch.

"I understand this must be very confusing for you, Adam, but if there is a being in this room whom you are hiding from me, one who wears strictly orange and looks like the stars themselves, I need you to tell me."

Adam swallowed, and then hesitated. It was the mystery woman she was after. But why? "I believe I would remember such a being lurking around my bedroom."

He waited for Ayesha to snap again, to call him on his lie, but instead, she huffed and pursed her lips.

"Indeed you would." She paused. "But, if you ever do encounter such a being, I expect you report her to me immediately. She's an enemy of the state, on par with our little friends the Guardians." At the mention of the team, she looked up at his head. "I understand what you've endured is painful, but you appear to have made a remarkable recovery..."

She trailed off, her voice twinged with suspicion, and Adam's mind reeled for an excuse.

"You doubt the durability of your most flawless creation?"

At the question, Ayesha beamed, and Adam gave an internal sigh of relief as his creator let go of his hands and rose to her feet.

"An excellent point. And this procedure, however painful, has only amplified your perfection. Come."

She was out the door before he had time to question, leaving Adam to hastily draw the sheets around his waist before stepping out of bed. At the door, he paused and glanced back to the woman, who met his gaze for a moment before looking away. He wondered what she'd done to make Ayesha hate her so much, but oddly enough, Adam found that he didn't care.

But there was no time to dwell on it, not when Ayesha was still around, and Adam cast one last look at the woman before following his creator out into the hallway.

"I am not one to correct my work after I have finished"—Ayesha paused in front of the living area mirror, beckoning Adam forward—"but this. This is something truly special."

Adam hesitated before stepping into view of the mirror. He looked just the same as before...except for his forehead. Set in the skin just above his brow was a small, amber stone. It was so simple, a tiny part of a whole, and yet, if he focused just enough, he could sense it, feel a power within it.

"What do you think?" Ayesha settled her hands on his shoulders. "It's of the High Evolutionary's design. So, not entirely perfect, but it will serve its purpose. It's a focusing mechanism, a way for you to reign in such temperamental cosmic energy. He calls it a soul gem."

Soul gem. The word sent a chill down Adam's spine, a chill that only worsened when Ayesha's grip on him tightened. He didn't know what the gem was, but it was something new, something foreign, something he'd never asked for.

And yet, there it was, embedded in his forehead. There was no removing it now.

"Well?" Ayesha looked up at him. "What do you think?"

Adam was thinking of a lot of things. He was thinking about what he'd felt like before. He was thinking about the permanence of the soul gem. He was thinking about Ayesha's hands on his shoulders. But mostly, he was thinking about the woman, wondering whether or not she was still stuck in the corner, or if she'd disappeared again, and if so, whether or not she'd return. Gods, he hoped she returned.

But there was only one answer Ayesha was looking for, the one that forced itself to the forefront of his mind, and one that would get him back to the mystery woman as soon as possible.

"I think it's time to finish off the Guardians."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.2K 1.5K 18
This is a continuation of Guardians of the Galaxy ~Rocket Raccoon x Reader~. Please do read the first one or you might have confusion. Everything wa...
215K 5.6K 26
You were abducted from the playground of your school after you ran away from your temporary home. The foster parents you had abused you mentally and...
42.2K 884 9
*Please read my Guardians of the Galaxy story before reading this book* After the dance-off to save the universe, you are now a Guardian of the Galax...
404 2 20
Nefertiti didn't know who her parents were. All she knew was that she was gold all over. Yondo Udonta has been the one to take care of Nefertiti sinc...