A New Masterpiece (COTE x OC)

By kinato_

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji, the masterpiece of the Whiteroom, an unchallenged existence in this world, with unfathom... More

Chapter 1 - The Opening
Chapter 2 - First Introductions
Chapter 3 - The Student Council President
Chapter 4 - An Unusual Outing
Chapter 5 - Class Leaders
Chapter 6 - Revelations
Chapter 7 - Study Group
Chapter 8 - A New Goal
Chapter 9 - Midterms
Chapter 10 - Bad News
Chapter 11 - The Trial
Chapter 12 - Silver Lining
SS.1 - Growth (Horikita)
Chapter 13 - A Break
Chapter 14 - Deserted Island Exam (1)
Chapter 15 - Deserted Island Exam (2)
Chapter 16 - Deserted Island Exam (3)
Chapter 17 - Deserted Island Exam (4)
Chapter 18 - Deserted Island Exam (5)
Chapter 19 - Deserted Island Exam (6)
Chapter 20 - Deserted Island Exam (Finale)
Chapter 21 - A Day Off
Chapter 22 - Zodiac Exam (1)
Chapter 23 - Zodiac Exam (2)
Chapter 24 - Zodiac Exam (3)
Chapter 25 - Zodiac Exam (Finale)
Chapter 26 - Sazae-san Syndrome
Chapter 27 - The Beginning
Chapter 28 - A Leader
Chapter 29 - Ability
SS.2 - Behind a Mask (Kushida)
Chapter 30 - Investigation
Chapter 31 - The Renegade
Chapter 32 - The Show Begins
Chapter 33 - Challenges
Chapter 34 - Dirty Tricks
Chapter 36 - Farce
Chapter 36.5 - Small Talk
Chapter 37 - Collapse
Chapter 38 - Negotiations
Chapter 39 - Elites
Chapter 40 - Resolve (1)
Chapter 41 - Resolve (2)
Chapter 42 - Paper Shuffle
Chapter 43 - The Changing Class D
Chapter 44 - Proposition
Chapter 45 - A Warning
Chapter 46 - Indignity
Chapter 47 - Vengeance
Chapter 48 - The Cunning
SS.3 - A New Goal (Sakayanagi)
Chapter 49 - Pursuer
Chapter 50 - Unexpected Coincidence
Chapter 51 - A Club Members Duties
Chapter 52 - A Senior's Wish
Chapter 53 - Setting A Stage
Chapter 54 - The Final Act Begins
Chapter 55 - The Pain of Hope
Chapter 56 - The Beginning of the End
Chapter 57 - The Fear of the Unknown
Chapter 58 - Dread
Chapter 59 - Bloom
Chapter 60 - Preparation
News
Chapter 61 - Initiation
Chapter 62 - A Good Gift
Chapter 63 - A Christmas Date? Pt.1
Chapter 64 - A Christmas Date? Pt.2

Chapter 35 - Breakpoint

1.2K 60 12
By kinato_

When I rejoined Class D in our tent, apparently the Class D girls were finishing up their next event. Tamaire.

From what I could gather, it was quite a simple game.

The girls were given a set time limit to see how many colored balls they could toss into a basket above them.

Why couldn't we get a simple event like that?

After the round had finished, a teacher came and went to each team and counted all the balls in the basket.

"Red team 79. White team 71. The Red team wins."

All the girls on the Red team jumped in the air with joy at their victory. It was a strong morale boost for them. Something that may help get the rest of Class D out of the slums.

Class D's wins were starting to get sparse at this point. But any win was a good one at the moment. Without almost any time to rest, the start of the boy's tug-of-war was announced.

We made our way over to the event and met up with Class A once again. Hopefully to have a better result than last time.

"Everyone," Hirata chimed. "I know the last event didn't go our way exactly. But this one, I know we can succeed. The chance of injuries is low, and now it's one class's strength versus another."

The surrounding members nodded along in approval with Hirata's sentiment.

"Alright, Class A and D coalition," Katsuragi spoke up. "To have the highest chance of success in this event, we should arrange ourselves according to height. This will give us the maximum force possible for each person."

A simple and effective strategy.

"Should we really be trusting your foolish nonsense?" a single voice spoke up from the group.

A tall, skinny man, with his long blonde hair tied back in a bun, filtered out of the group.

"You can't arrogantly take charge of the class forever. I mean, look where that got us last time," Hashimoto mocked.

A few snickers were heard from Class A students as the dispute continued.

"Hashimoto, I don't follow you?" Katsuragi replied with a tight face.

"It's quite simple. How can we hope to win under a leader who hasn't gotten us anywhere yet?"

Everyone in Class D stood and watched on in silence. It was a difficult situation sitting back and watching with our own eyes the strife within Class A.

"So, will this plan guarantee our victory?" Hashimoto pressed more.

My eyes left the civil war playing out right in front of me and looked toward Class A's tent.

It was plain as day. Sakayanagi watched with a slight smile on her face as Hashimoto continued to batter Katsuragi.

So, Hashimoto was the pawn of this plan, while Sakayanagi was the brains behind it.

"Hashimoto," Katsuragi finally spoke. "We should set this aside for later. Not everyone may agree with my methods, but this isn't a discussion we should be having so openly with our enemies around."

There was silence for a moment as the two finally acknowledged the ill timing of this disagreement.

"Yeah, no," Hashimoto responded. "I think right now is the best time and place for it. Let everyone know the failure you are."

Hashimoto wasn't pulling his punches. Openly airing out how disgusted he was with Katsuragi's results so far. But not only Hashimoto, many other Class A students murmured along in approval. It was quite easy to tell now that Katsuragi's time as Class A's leader was nearing its end.

"There is a time and place for everything. All this squabbling should be set aside for now. No matter what strategy we go with, we need to start this event soon and not incur any needless penalties."

Hashimoto raised his hands in the air as if signaling defeat. "Fine. But once we lose again, that's all on you."

Finally, the Class A and D coalition picked up the rope. Evenly separating ourselves via height.

On the other side, you could tell Class B and C were showing no signs of cooperating. As they had only separated themselves by class.

With the sound of a whistle, the match had begun.

At first, the rope was tight, with no give on either side. It seemed like we would be stuck at equilibrium forever.

"Raaaaar!" Sudo roared somewhere along the line. Hoping his energy would boost his fellow teammates.

After a few more moments of fighting at equilibrium, the rope soon pulled to our side, and we took the first match, despite some struggle.

"Alright!" Yamauchi yelled in excitement. "I knew all my massive muscles would carry us to victory!"

Sudo gave Yamauchi a hard slap on the back. "You did absolutely nothing."

"Ow! C'mon, Sudo, give me some credit," Yamauchi responded while tentatively rubbing his back.

"That was a great effort, everyone," I said. "Let's keep it up, and we will win this event with a clean sweep."

As we took the rope in our hands once again, I noticed Class C, more specifically Ryuuen, reorganizing his classmates' positions along the rope.

Did he have a plan in mind? Why would he suddenly switch up his strategy during the middle of an event?

Once again, the sound of the whistle starting the match met our ears.

Except this time, the game didn't start out like the last.

Instantly the rope shot toward the Class BC side. Our side was slow to start and was on the recovery the entire match.

We gave a strong pull to try and reach equilibrium again, but Class BC was relentless in winning this match.

Unfortunately, after not too long of a fight, Class BC took this round easily.

"Dang, it!"

"How?"

"We didn't even stand a chance?!"

"That's what you get," Hashimoto responded to the mass confusion. "With Katsuragi as the lead, you're bound to fail."

"That's just one round! We can come back!" Yahiko raised his voice in support of Katsuragi.

"May I offer I suggestion," I said, raising my hand in the air to gather everyone's attention.

"What is it, Fukumoto?" Katsuragi replied rather harshly.

"Well, seeing as our last match didn't go the way we planned. I wanted to offer a new plan for everyone's consideration."

All eyes were on me as I offered up a new solution.

"It's quite a simple fix, actually. It only requires a couple of changes. Firstly, we shouldn't be lumping the weaker members together. Spread them out so they are almost always accompanied by a person of greater strength. Secondly, we place the person with the highest strength and quickest reflexes in the front. This offers us a strong base point and the chances of a better start. And finally, keeping another one of the strongest people at the back. Providing everyone with a strong anchor point."

There were some murmurs of approval among everyone. But we could only enact this strategy if everyone agreed.

"I see what you're getting at," Katsuragi replied. "But changing up the strategy too much-."

"Ah, lighten up, man," Hashimoto cut off Katsuragi as he swung one of his arms around my neck. "Your strategy obviously didn't cut it last time, so why not let the smarter ones handle it, okay?"

Katsuragi didn't respond for a moment. "Fine, let's give it a shot."

After that response, Hashimoto leaned in closer to me and whispered. "I didn't help you out because I particularly like you. Your plan just happened to help my mission with the princess, that's all."

And with that, Hashimoto left my side and made his way to the rope.

"Fukumoto-kun?" Hirata said.

"Yep."

"For your strategy to work, we need to know who will be upfront and in the back?"

"Ah, yes. I think Sudo would be the best fit for taking charge. He's quick and strong, so he fits the role perfectly."

"Alright!" Sudo bellowed as he rushed to the front of the rope.

"And the last person?" Hirata asked.

"I'll do it. I'm second to Sudo's strength and probably one of the more conditioned people for this role."

Everyone finally got into position as we awaited the signal to start the match. The Class AD side had a brand new strategy, a more do-or-die attempt to win this event. While on the opposing side, Classes B and C went with the same strategy they used to win the last round. This would definitely become a struggle for both sides.

The field was quiet for a moment as we all awaited for the whistle to sound. I drew one last breath before completely focusing on the match ahead.

The whistle finally sounded. And without a moment wasted, Sudo quickly started to tug on the rope. Giving the Class A and D sides a head start.

From there on, the opponent's side was fighting to bring the rope back to equal. While my own side was struggling with all our might to keep our advantage.

Neither side wanted to lose this fight, as each side continued to struggle for what seemed like an eternity.

But miraculously, the rope on our side seemed lighter, with almost no resistance?

This felt different. It felt too light.

Suddenly, the bodies of my teammates in front of me started to topple down. And with great pace, we all fell down to the ground below.

"What the hell happened?!" Yahiko said.

I looked up to see what had happened. Apparently Class A and D did win the match, but that was only because Class C voluntarily let go of the rope.

"Why the hell did ya let go!" Sudo roared at Class C.

No one responded to him, only Ryuuen, who looked back at us with his signature smirk of superiority.

Classes A and D may have ended up winning this event. But the morale was extremely low. Especially for Class D. No one wanted to have a pity win, no one wanted to win like this.

It was clear on all of our faces, well, except for Ayanokouji. That this was no win. If anything, it was a terrible loss.

"Seems like your plan worked," Kiyotaka said as he helped me up.

"That wasn't a win. You know they did that on purpose."

"True, it was meant to give Class D's morale another beating, but we cannot do anything about it now."

The Class D boys made their way back to the tent as we prepared for the next event.

~~~

"Every time," I said aloud to myself.

"What is it?" Maya asked, appearing beside me.

"What do you mean by 'Every time'," Chiaki said on the opposite side of me.

"Just take a look," I said, pointing at one of the ongoing events.

Currently, Sudo was participating in the obstacle course event. He had a fierce opponent in Shibata alongside him. But other than that, his competition seemed terrible. And once again, particularly his competition from Class C was awful.

"I don't get it," Maya said, squinting at the track.

"That's alright, I'm pretty sure Chiaki understands."

"Wha-, I-," Chiaki was flustered for a moment at my sudden call out. "I think I do understand what you mean. Besides Shibata-kun, Sudo-kun's opponents haven't been the most skilled participants."

"Precisely," I replied. "But there's more to it."

"Like Horikita-san you mean? She's been constantly paired up with tough opponents. Like Yajima-san and Kinoshita-san since the beginning," Chiaki said.

"Is that why she hasn't been doing well since the beginning?" Maya asked.

"You two are correct. It seems some people, specifically from Class C, have been selected to go up against members of Class D."

"Well, if Class C is targeting strong members of Class D. Why haven't you had any problems yet?" Chiaki asked.

That was something I found odd too. Only recently did I get paired up against Ryuuen and Ishizaki during the Obstacle Race. Which I once again placed first in. But besides the group events where Classes A-D competed against each other in teams, my part of the festival has gone without a hitch.

"Couldn't tell you," I continued. "I'm not sure what Ryuuen's plan is, but how things are panning out so far; hasn't gone in favor of our class."

"Wait, wait, wait," Maya said abruptly. "Isn't it strange that Sudo-kun is coincidentally always paired up with weak opponents, while Horikita-san has stronger ones? Like the chances of that happening are almost zero."

Maya tried counting on her fingers to figure out the math behind these chances. But I don't think she'd be able to.

"There is a reason for that," I said.

Maya rubbed her temples in confusion as to why, but a light behind Chiaki's eyes lit up once I said that.

"You don't mean..." She leaned in closer to Maya and me. "That the participation table got leaked?"

I replied with a simple nod.

"WHAT! THE PARTICIPATION TABLE GOT LEA-" Maya started to shout before I covered her mouth.

"Yes, that's the conclusion I came to. I don't know how, why, or who did it, but it's the only option."

Maya peeled my hand off her face to speak. "Well, let's go find this sucker and take them out. I've always wanted to fight someone."

"I don't agree with Maya's use of violence," Chiaki said. "But wouldn't it be best to find the mole?"

"No," I replied with a bit of a harsh tone. "Look around you. Would going around right now, trying to pin blame on someone, really help the class?"

It was fairly easy to see, but the class was nearing its breaking point. The festival wasn't going our way, and team morale was constantly getting lower. Arousing suspicion that someone within our class betrayed us would only make things worse.

"It's unfortunate. But we have to let this play out for now. Ryuuen seems to be wanting to break our spirit by cutting down Horikita and forcing Sudo's emotions to boil over. There's not much to do but sit and wait for it to happen."

Maya and Chiaki were slightly shocked at my response but didn't refute it.

"We do trust you, Akio," Chiaki said. "Whatever you need, we'll help you."

"Use your unique skills for the class. Maya, your social networking is second to none. And Chiaki, I know your intellect is superb, don't hide it. Use these skills to help Class D rise to Class A. Help myself, Hirata, Horikita, and others who are striving for this goal."

Just as my conversation with Maya and Chiaki finished, I looked back toward the track to watch the next race. It was the girl's obstacle race, and Horikita was up.

Once again, she was pitted against the two-track athletes Yajima and Kinoshita from Class C.

Kinoshita and Yajima took an early lead during this race. But Horikita was determined to win and was always close to them.

Once the two Class C students reached the balance beam they both hesitated momentarily and gave up their lead to a determined Horikita.

Passing over the balance beams, Horikita had a narrow lead over Kinoshita, as Yajima had fallen off the balance beam a couple of times.

The race was close, with only 25m remaining, it was an all-out sprint. Kinoshita was almost shoulder-to-shoulder with Horikita now. But what caught my eye was Horikita constantly flicking her eyes back to look at Kinoshita. Anyone would know this could slow you down in a race. They had almost reached the finish line before both of them were caught in a tremendous tumble.

They both stayed down for a few moments which allowed several runners to overtake them and finish the race. Horikita was still determined to have a placement as she gingerly got up from the ground and limped over the finish line, taking 7th place. Kinoshita on the other hand, continued to lay on the ground clutching her left ankle.

"Do you think Horikita-san is alright?" Chiaki asked.

I looked back to the track and noticed Horikita sitting down near the finish line, holding her ankle.

"I don't know. I'm confused why she kept looking back at Kinoshita. But it might be best for now to get her some medical assistance."

"On it," Chiaki replied as she left to grab a first-aid kit.

I walked over to the finish line to console my classmate.

"Are you hurt?" I asked, squatting down to her eye level.

"I'm completely fine. Just a small trip up. I'll be better soon," she replied, nonchalantly.

I grabbed her injured ankle and applied light pressure to see if she was lying.

Horikita winched in pain at the response and immediately slapped my hand away.

"Why would you do that? I didn't ask for you to touch me."

"Jeez. Sure, you're definitely not injured. At least let me help you to the tent."

I gently pulled Horikita from the ground and wrapped her arm around my shoulder as I guided her towards a bench at our tent.

Chiaki made her way over with the first-aid kit, pulling out a compression sleeve to wrap around Horikita's ankle.

But as she went to put it on, Horikita slapped it out of her hand in defiance.

"I'm completely fine. I told you this before, I don't need help," she responded harshly.

Kiyotaka had now joined us to see what the problem with Horikita was.

"Your obviously injured, Horikita-san. We're just trying to help," Chiaki pleaded.

"I don't need anyone's help," Horikita said.

"Tell me, though," Kiyotaka spoke up. "Why were you constantly looking back at Kinoshita during the race?"

I was wanting to ask that too, but my main focus at the moment was her injury.

"I don't know," Horikita said as she winced in pain, gingerly rubbing her ankle. "She kept calling my name. So I kept looking back at her, as to why she would do that, I don't know."

"She may have been taunting you, trying to elicit a reaction from you. Perhaps distract you from the race too," Kiyotaka mused. "But at the end of the day, that collision at the end didn't look like an accident."

Kiyotaka was right. For that small of a collision to take Kinoshita out of the race was absurd. How could you call yourself an athlete after such a light fall?

Horikita rubbed her temples, trying to distract herself from her pain. "Doesn't matter what happened or how it happened. Our focus should be on winning our events don't worry about me. Focus on yourselves."

It was an admirable statement from Horikita, who was obviously in pain to keep us motivated. But there's no way for Class D to move forward now. The fractures within our class were clearly visible for all to see.

~~~

The boy's three-legged race had just finished.

Sudo and Ike placed first in their race. With Sudo basically dragging Ike down the track to pull out the victory.

Hirata and Kiyotaka pulled a flawless victory. Easily beating their opponents. As for myself, I placed second with Yamauchi as he was hell-bent on 'showing off' his 'master skills' to the ladies.

But those skills only ended up backfiring on us.

What I was most concerned about though was Horikita.

Watching her three-legged race alongside Kushida, made it painfully obvious that she wasn't in any condition to keep going.

Their start was strong, but because of Horikita, they faltered and placed 7th.

Horikita's injury was bound to get worse the more she participated, but considering our last conversation, I had limited hope that asking her to drop out would happen.

She was bound and determined to do whatever it takes to help our class. Which is a fantastic quality. But at the moment, that goal blinded her. That desire kept her from realizing how useless she is now. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN's:

school is finally done so now i got more free time to work on this story!

i hope it continues to be entertaining for you all! have a wonderful day!

until next time, legends

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.6K 2.3K 27
The masterpiece of the white room has escaped. Ayanokouji Kiyotaka is now on the run. Towards the end of his training, he was being taught how to act...
8.6K 479 20
"I hate you. " "Stay alive.... Kiyotaka...For me..." "Nah, id win." Ayanokoji Kiyotaka was going to advance nurturing highschool, the number 1 pokemo...
117K 4.6K 35
Ayanokoji Kiyotaka, the sole survivor of the demonic 4th generation and the Masterpiece of the White room, has passed his final examination. But, du...
41.4K 3.3K 28
Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, the Masterpiece of the White Room has gone missing, disappearing into thin air one night before the end of spring break. His whe...