Hourglass [Quintessential Qui...

By Kiriyarin_

Each of them has their own stories, their own choices. A lot of new characters, new choices and new events, t... More

Chapter 1 - White Memory
Chapter 2 - The Beyond
Chapter 3 - Trouble Divided Into Five
Chapter 4 - Butterfly Effect
Chapter 5 - Stars Collide
Chapter 6 - Reflection
Chapter 7 - Encounter
Chapter 8 - All Sides
Chapter 9 - Trickster (Ⅰ)
Chapter 10 - Trickster (Ⅱ)
Chapter 11 - Preliminary
Valentine Special - Foudre
Chapter 12 - Ignite
Chapter 13 - Crisis Management
Chapter 14 - Siren's Song
Chapter 15 - Promise
Chapter 16 - Echoes of Betrayal
Chapter 17 - Confession and the Charming Maid (Ⅰ)
Chapter 18 - Emotions and the Forgiven Maid (Ⅱ)
Chapter 19 - Trouble in Paradise (Ⅲ)
Chapter 20 - Cast Away (Ⅳ)
Interlude Chapter - Friends All Over the World
Chapter 21 - Queen of Hearts (Ⅴ)
Chapter 22 - New Beginnings ( Ⅵ )
Chapter 23 - Someday in the Rain
Chapter 24 - Make a Spell
Chapter 26 - Calamity Fortune
Chapter 27 - Tales of Snow
Chapter 28 - The Melancholy of Nakano Nino
Chapter 29 - Lost & Found
Chapter 30 - Break a Spell (Ⅰ)
Chapter 31 - Break a Spell (ⅠⅠ)
Chapter 32 - Connection
Chapter 33 - Operation: True Love
Chapter 34 - A Few Mistakes Ago
Chapter 35 - Dandelions
Chapter 36 - Heartstrings
Chapter 37 - Through Rose-Colored Glasses
[Part 1 Finale] Chapter 38 - For Whom the Bells Toll
Chapter 39 - Begin the Offensive
Chapter 40 - Roll Like We Used To
Interlude Chapter - Whims of Fate (I)
Chapter 41 - The ABC's of Live
Chapter 42 - Trouble Multiplied By Five
Chapter 43 - Calliope (I)
To You, The Worthless Excuse
To You, The Absolutely Worthless Excuse
To You, Who Awaits The Snowmelt
To You, What Hidden Behind Your Eyelids

Chapter 25 - Darkness Falls, a Star Is Born

310 8 2
By Kiriyarin_

???'s POV:

How many hours has it been? I've been lying in my bed since nightfall, my eyes refusing to shut. Even a bed made of top quality silk can't solve insomnia.

Is it still nighttime? Is it morning? I've stopped counting the minutes long time ago and now just waiting for the time to get out of this bed.

''...''

Judging by the sunlight leaking through the curtains, it's morning...No matter how big my room is, daylight always finds a way to seep in. The sign that marks the beginning of a new day is about to come. He's never late, I have to thank him for that.

I can hear footsteps outside my room door, approaching second by second. A hand grabs the doorknob, the door creaks open. How does he manage to do this every day?

''Madoka-sama, it's time to wake up.'' A hand turns the room-lights on and calls me.

With the lights on, my vision returns. My room is still the same, the way I left it yesterday. That face that wakes me up every day is still the same. Comfortable? Maybe not.

''Punctual as always, Mori.''

''Your kind words warmed my heart as always, Madoka-sama. As your family's butler, it is my personal duty to take care of you.''

I've known Mori-san since I was a young girl. He began working for my family even before I was born. From the day I moved into this mansion, my mother appointed Mori-san as my personal butler. He has always been there to address both the general issues of the household and my personal concerns.

''Thanks again for waking me up. You can go now, the other maids need you in the kitchen.''

''Would you like me to tie your hair as always, Madoka-sama?''

"There is no necessity; I choose to leave my hair untied today."

''As you wish my lady. Then, if you allow me...''

Mori closes my room door, leaving me alone again. Now, I must get up; the day commences.

My name is Madoka Hosoki. The eldest child of the Hosoki family. My mother is CEO of a prominent and longstanding trading company that dates back to the Meiji period, which is why we can live in luxury— And that means laziness is something I cannot afford.

I get up from my bed and made my way to the bathroom. ''...''

I have always had the habit of taking a shower in the morning after waking up, ever since I was a child. Mori is aware of this routine, so he prepares fresh clothes for me every day and places them neatly in the bathroom. When I step into the bathroom, I am greeted by the sight of my post-shower attire, ironed and waiting for me in the basket.

''I haven't worn this in a long time...''

I took off my pajamas and got in the shower. For me, taking a shower is starting the day from scratch by getting rid of the stress of yesterday.

''...''

I got out of the shower about ten minutes later; I wish I could have stayed longer, but I have things to do today. People constantly tell me that I'm beautiful and that I should take better care of my face. This is a complete exaggeration; I am neither beautiful nor something like that. I'm just me.

''This dress is starting to feel a bit tight for me—Have they grown again?''

I once loved adorning myself in this dress, and I still do, but I suppose now that I've grown up, it's starting to feel tight for me. After I somehow put on the dress, I stood in front of the bathroom mirror. The same me as yesterday. I don't understand why people still call me pretty. I cannot see anything interesting. I'm no different than the millions of girls you see on the street every day, atleast in terms of appearance.

.

.

.

''Good morning Madoka-sama. Would you like to have breakfast?'' The maid outside my room greets me with a smile.

''Pass. Not today.''

There're 20 maids and 15 butlers at the Hosoki mansion. Each of them has different duties and different areas of specialization. It would be absurd to entrust such a large house to a single maid.

''As you wish.'' Maid bowed her head. "Unfortunately, Lady Jeanne requested me to convey that she won't be able to make it here today."

''I'm not surprised. I can't even remember the last time my mom came home.''

My mother is the head of our family company, the second largest company in all of Japan. Due to her job, she has to change location constantly, and sometimes she may even have to go abroad. I'm used to it.

''Then excuse me Madoka-sama. I have to take care of the garden.''

''Before you go.'' I stopped the maid before she leave. ''We have guests today; be polite to them and inform me when they arrive.''

The maid nodded politely at my request and went down the stairs. Then, just as I was about to leave, two small creature hugged me from behind.

''Nee-sama~ Ohayo!''

''Nee-sama~ Nee sama~''

I have sixteen siblings. Our family history is somewhat complicated. Although our mothers are the same, my siblings were born from different fathers. My mother has remarried many times, so siblings won't be something I'll be lack in the near future. As I am the eldest, it's one of my responsibilities to take care of them. My mother gave birth to a single child when she was married to my biological father. That's why I don't have a sibling with whom I share the same father.

''Miwari, Hibari. I warned you two to not sneak up on people like that.''

''Waa...Nee-sama's serious as always. / Nee-sama, cuddle cuddle!''

These two girls who are exactly the same as each other, Hibari and Miwari, are my twin sisters.

''Don't interfere with the maid's work. Running around only causes them trouble.''

I hugged the twins and lifted them up with my arms. Contrary to their appearance, they are really lightweight. The subtle distinguishing feature between them lay in the ribbons on their hair – Hibari with a delicate blue ribbon, and Miwari with an equally red one. I've never mess them before, but this is the only way others can tell them apart.

''Nee-sama isn't fun at all! / Hmpf... ''

''There's a fine line between having fun and irritating others. We don't want to bother the people who work here.''

''Mmm...Nee-sama~'' The twins hug my chest tightly. No matter how mischievous they are, they always make a loving duo. ''Nee-sama's boobies are really pillowy, I'm getting sleepy~''

''Tch. I can't get mad if you two act like that...'' I hugged the twins back tight, at least some of us are still energetic today. ''Your sister has work to do today, go downstairs and have breakfast.''

''Hai! Nee-sama, close your eyes! / Close your eyes, Nee-sama!''

I closed my eyes as the twins asked. Saying no to these two doesn't quite work.

''Chu!~♡ / Mwah~♡''

Both of them approached me once and planted multiple kisses on my cheeks. Those two, I swear...

''Nee-sama, daisuki! / Nee-sama is the best!''

Then I put the girls down. That's how they are, two naughty ones full of energy. I wonder what they'll be like when I see them grow up one day? Will everything still be the same?

Now is not the time to keep thinking about such nonsense.

Miwari and Hibari went down and disappeared from sight.

I take on many roles and responsibilities in this house. When my mother is away, it is my responsibility to care for my siblings.Simultaneously, as a high school student and the overseer of the mansion's maids and butlers, I am accountable for ensuring incoming guests feel warmly welcomed.

A particular detail captures my attention as I'm about to go downstairs. The upstairs library door is left open, I know very well what that means. She already foretold her coming, But I didn't expect it to happen so soon.

''...''

Upon crossing the threshold of the ajar library door, my gaze is met by her presence. As always, this is the first room she enters when she comes home. She doesn't come to the house very often because of her academics, but when she does, it's as if a lot of weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

''Sendo.''

''Oh, you're awake, Madoka-nee.''

Sendo Hosoki. Our eldest sibling after me. She lives at our company's headquarters in Kyoto. Although our company is spread over the whole of Japan, our general and largest headquarters hails from Kyoto.

''Thanks for coming, I know you don't really like coming here.''

''It's rare for you to ask me anything, Madoka-nee. I couldn't break you.''

Even Sendo is a minor, she helps my family a lot in the company. A purely superior intelligence with her numerical intelligence and logical thinking ability. That's why she chose to stay in our main terrority, Kyoto, rather than stay here.

''Yes, I'll be going on school trip tomorrow. That's why I want you to look after the others.''

"I can, but why the sudden interest in social events? Didn't you always used to say all this was a waste of time, Madoka-nee?"

''Seniors aren't required to attend, but I was chosen by the teachers to plan the trip. What would people think if I didn't go on a trip I planned myself?''

''Since when do you care what people think?''

''Never. But it's not about me this time; it's about what they think of my family that matters."

''I guess that's one of the challenges of being the family heir.'' Sendo sighs, her tone tinged with understanding as she selected a book from the shelves. "You're still so distant, Madoka-nee."

I'm the only child over eighteen in the family. A final year student at Asahiyama High. Also, since I'm the eldest child in the family, I'm also heir to my mother. When the time comes, this entire company, this mansion, and everything that belongs to our family will be bequeathed to me.

𝗜'𝗹𝗹 𝗯𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗰𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗼𝗳 𝗺𝘆 𝗼𝘄𝗻 𝘂𝗻𝗶𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗲.

But I'm working hard to be worthy of this task. Apart from school and the basic education I receive, I take lessons about community administration and management from my private tutors.

Mother sometimes sends some managers and businessman from our own subsidiaries test me. To see if my management skills are worthy of the continuation of this family. They're the important guests I told the maid about for today.

''I'm not...distant, this is my natural.''

Sendo's voice carried a soft, concerned tone as she spoke. "I can't even remember the last time you smiled. Good to see you, though..." With a gentle touch, she carefully returned the books she had picked to their places on the shelves before giving me a warm hug. "I miss you. Why don't you come to Kyoto with me?...It's so lonely there without you..."

I held her close and patted her hair. "Sendo... You know I can't. I can't move to Kyoto just yet. But you know I'll be there in the future."

''P-promise...?''

''Promise.''

Sendo is merely a year younger than me, yet exhibits a depth of emotion far beyond my own. Moving to Kyoto left her alone, as we were always together when we were little. I was the one who told my mother to take her to Kyoto. Her innate genius would have been wasted here otherwise, I hope in the future she'll understand the reasons behind my decisions.

''You look tough as always, Madoka-nee. Are you scheduled to meet with managers again today? It seems like mom is still being too hard on you.'' Sendo embraced me once more, resting her head against my body. She had always been quite clingy since she was a child.

''A few businesspeople aren't things I can't handle. Now that you're here, enjoy your time in Tokyo.''

Sendo gazed at me and smiled softly, then she took a few steps back. ''I'll never be like you Madoka-nee. I can never be successful in company business like you since my mind is only inclined to numbers, hehe...''

''Shush, it's not as significant as you think. You can do a lot of numerical data that I can't even do by just looking. Don't be so hard on yourself.''

''Also...'' Sendo touched her chest and looked at mine with a sigh. ''Goodness, have they grown even bigger?''

"You're still in the process of growing up, Sendo. I may really not understand femininity, but I'm confident you'll blossom beautifully as time goes on."

''If Madoka-nee says so, I guess I have to believe...But I still think that God has been too kind to you. You're stunning, and our family's sole heir. Not everyone can be born with such a chance.''

''Whatever you say. Miwari and Hibari have already woken up, it might be good for them to see their older sister, stop snoozing in the library and come downstairs.''

''Ah, That two little rascal— I've been here for a while, I guess we and the twins are the only ones awake, Madoka-nee. Shall I wake the others?''

"No, let them have their rest. There's no school today and our guests are about to arrive, I don't want crowds around when I talk business.''

''As you wish, Madoka-nee.''

We left the library together. As Sendo herself says, although she isn't proficient in business, she is quite successful and reliable in most other subjects. She's one of the few people I can leave the house with while I'm away and Sendo is the only sibling who lives apart from the manor. The others miss her too.

As we descended the stairs, Sendo began to tell me about the things she did in Kyoto. Our mother appointed Sendo as the secretary to our company's financial affairs officer. Sendo got her high school diploma early because of her intelligence, although I'm older than her, I still go to high school. She finished high-school early and working for our company part-time.

"This place hasn't changed a bit, Madoka-nee. Even the maids are the same, but it feels like I visited ages ago..."

"Sendo, it's only been two months since your last visit. What did you think would change in such a short time?"

"T-two months...!? It felt much longer than that... Guess time just moves differently in Kyoto, hehe~"

We saw all the maids in our house working as usual when we went downstairs. They have already begun cleaning the house for future visitors.

''Madoka-nee, If you don't have anything else planned for today, we can all go swimming after our guests leave.''

Hosoki mansion adjoins the sea. This allows my siblings to go swimming whenever they please. However, I can hardly recall the last time I had the luxury of swimming due to the endless amount of work I have to do.

''Another day. I need to prepare for the trip.''

As we enter the living room, I notice that Miwari and Hibari are running towards us from the kitchen, playing with their toys and not noticing our arrival to the room.

''Mwahahaha!~ Come on, catch me, Miwari! I'm the demon king! You can't beat me!''

''Of course I will! Heroes never lose, Hibari! Hi-yah!''

I can't deal with them right now. I'll leave it to Sendo to take care of them.

I picked up the teapot from the table, poured myself a cup of Earl Grey tea, and settled into a seat by the window with a view of the sea. I have always found this view somewhat calming. Sendo nods in agreement, as if understanding my desire for peace and quiet.

"Oi, you two. Stop making noise, Madoka-nee has an important business meeting today," Sendo reprimands the girls. And I continue to quietly sip my tea, gazing out at the blue waves of the sea.

The twins finally notice us, they spoke to me just this morning but they must have been shocked to see Sendo because they immediately ran to hug her.

''Sendo-nee! Sendo-nee! / Sendo-nee...Where have you been...?''

''Since Madoka-nee won't be here for a while, I've come to look after you. Did you miss me, my naughty little cookies~'' Sendo got down on her knees and hugged the girls tightly then kissed their forheads. ''Mwah~ Mwah~''

''...''

Sendo has always been good with children, I don't have any time to deal with children other than my siblings. While those three are playing games, I sit quietly in the corner; observing the waves come and go by.

It's good that others haven't woken up, the fewer people around me while I'm talking business, the better. My mother's tests have been going on for two years, those tests that test me to be the heir to the company. Yet, I was always the one who went to the directors' offices, so when they told me that they would be visiting our house this time, I was somewhat astonished.

''Madoka-sama.'' One of the maids came up to me and bowed. ''Guests have arrived. Would you like me to let them in?''

''Please. Direct them here and make sure that no maid or butler enters the living room.''

''Hai, my lady.'' Then she leaves.

Sendo and the twins heard our conversation. They look at me while I sip my tea. Sendo has seen me being tested before, but this'll be a first for the twins. I never want this to happen, but I have no other choice.

''Madoka-nee...Don't be too hard on them, heh~'' Sendo smirks.

''Good luck, Nee-sama! / Nee-sama, ganbatte! >-<) ''

.

.

.

[ Twenty Minutes Later ]

The manager in charge of one of our company's minor subsidiaries personally came to my house to have a conversation with me. I technically don't have a profession because I'm still in high school, but my mother decided to pass on such minor issues to my information for future preparations.

''It's a great honor to meet you, Madoka-sama.'' The manager is only in his thirties and merely a novice.

After brief greetings, the manager and I sat down together face to face. Sendo and the twins are watching us in the far corner of the room. The great hall now looks empty, as I forbade the maids to enter the room until the meeting is over.

''Our feelings are mutual. On behalf of my mother, I offer my most sincere apologies. Jeanne-sama is at an important business convention abroad at the moment.''

''...O-of course, I'm aware of that. Even talking to you personally would be enough for me. Y-your reputation h-has already spread within the entire Hosoki group, Madoka-sama. We heard that you have been chosen as the new heir, on behalf of our company, congratulations.''

I have all the financial records of this man's sub-company inside the palm of my hand. As we continue our conversation, I'm checking entire the flow of money and financial records. In truth, my mother is not abroad or engaged in any overseas affairs. The expression 'abroad' is a convenient way of conveying that she doesn't currently have the time to meet with them.

''...'' Looking at these papers, it didn't take me long to understand why.

''Madoka-sama, The reason we came here today was to demand payment from the parent company for our future investments.''

''...''

''M-madoka-sama?...''

...

- - -

Sendo's POV:

''Sendo-nee, Will Madoka-nee be okay?... That guy looks so scary...''

''Of course she will, Madoka-nee is the strongest girl I know.''

It's been a while since my big sister started talking to the manager. I've witnessed this scene many times before in the past, my sister is in the position of running the family business. But this is the first time the cute twins who are now sitting on my lap have seen her like this.

''Madoka-nee seems to be under a lot of stress, she just sits quietly... Sendo-nee! We have to help her!''

''No, Miwari. This is a task your sister has to handle alone.''

''Is this my big sister's job?.. To listen to people's meaningless requests for her?''

''No, Hibari. Madoka-nee and Mom are working for our sake but...I'd like to lend a hand her as well... but I'm miserable at dealing with people.''

My name is Sendo Hosoki or aka.Calculator Girl with the name people call me. Thanks to my achievements in the numerical field since my birth, I have been nominated for many awards in the country and around the world. Judging by my age right now, I was supposed to be a student in my second year of high school. But I graduated from high school at the age of 14 because of my natural talent. I'm the second eldest child of the Hosoki family.

Instead of going to college and wasting my talent, I decided to join our family business, of course. This is a so-called job. I'm not an adult like Madoka-nee, I'm underage, so I'm not allowed to take an official job. I just work as a simple side-secretary in our company.

''E-eh, that's not true Sendo-nee! You're one of the sweetest and chatty people I know!'' / ''Sendo-nee is so cool!''

''You two...Ugh, let me cuddle...'' I cuddled the two cutest puff-balls in the entire universe and made them sat on my thighs. ''Yet...You two are wrong. I'm not as talented as my sister, nor as cool as her.''

Since her childhood, Madoka-nee has been going through many tough tests that we haven't seen. Tutoring, speech training, linguistics, money and resource management, and more.

To be honest, I used to hate myself because I was terrible at almost everything except numbers and solving problems. I never learned how to communicate properly with people properly or anything like that. But, Madoka-nee is completely different. She excels at almost everything she do. She has a perfect face, a wonderful body, and is successful in everything that I failed to achieve.

I used to believe that I was not worthy of being part of this family, but after graduating from high school, my big sister rescued me from the darkness that I was sinking into.

My sister may appear cold and soulless from the outside, and it's very rare for her to smile. But, her love for her family cannot be questioned. I know my sister better than anyone else, and if I had to carry the heavy burden that she had to bear, I probably gone mad long time ago. That's why I have the utmost respect for Madoka-nee.

Besides, when she takes over the company in the future, she promised to make me her chief secretary! So I have to work to be worthy of her too!

''Miwari, Hibari. Look at me.''

''What is it, big sis? / ...?''

''Would you two like to play a game? A riddle game~''

The twins' eyes twinkled wildly and nodded their at the same time. These two still enjoy the games as much as I remember...

''Here's my first question: Do you know what Mom and Madoka-nee have in common?''

''Uwa! That's hard Sendo-nee!...Hmm...''

''Time is up~ The answer is quite simple; Both turn into monsters when they get angry~''

- - -

Madoka's POV:

These documents exhibits a high degree of inconsistency in expenses and discrepancies in financial records. The stated prices of the expenditures are incongruous with the copies received by both Hosoki headquarters and myself. There are two plausible explanations for this anomaly: either there has been a glitch in the system resulting in an omission of certain expenses from my records, or there is an attempt to launder money through our company. It is highly implausible for a manager to cause such a significant loss of millions of yen in a single month.

That's why mother directed this guy to me. Now it's clear.

''That's why Madoka-sama, we want you to increase our company's revenue. In this way, we can improve our investment areas.''

''...I'll increase your revenue.''

''Ah-! Thank you so much, Madoka-sama! Then our work here is do—...''

''With one condition.''

''...! W-w-what do you mean, my lady?''

''The growth of a strong subsidiary like yours benefits our company. But unfortunately, according to the records I have, your company has suffered significant financial loss in previous months. Do you have something to say about it?''

''I-I...u-uh...t-the...a-ah... Actually, our company's business isn't performing well right now, which is why we want to expand our business even more.''

A clever strategy, would be to inform the main company of the unfavorable circumstances and financial losses, should someone start to develop suspicion towards you. This approach will enable you to circumvent any inquiry and prevent oneself from being perceived as a potential suspect.

''I'll double the revenue of your company, starting today. However— I do have one condition... You have one week.''

''F-for?...'' The manager's already starting to sweat. It seems that he has not taken me seriously since his arrival. Perhaps he only views me as my mother's slave and a mere child.

I don't care about people's worldview, but I take my job seriously, no matter what.

''Even if these funds are shown as financial losses, they must be documented as per the rules of the Hosoki company. If you can provide me the official documentation within a week, I can guarantee a continued revenue.''

''T-thats...! W-what if our company doesn't manage to find the documents?''

''The Hosoki Company would have no justification for retaining you within our organization if that circumstance were to arise. Consequently, our existing agreement with you would be rescinded, and all associated benefits would be revoked.''

''...!''

''In accordance with the regulations set forth by the Japanese Government, any expenditures made without a specified source of funds shall be deemed as a transgression and subjected to meticulous scrutiny.''

''W-w-w-wait...!''

''And since you're the person in charge of the sub-company, all accusations will be directed towards you, respectfully. I strongly advise you to find those documents promptly, as I assume you have no intention of facing imprisonment or worse.''

''Please hold on a moment! Y-You c-cannot do this.''

''𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐭'𝐬 𝐢𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠. 𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐰𝐚𝐲. 𝐌𝐲 𝐦𝐚𝐢𝐝𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐚𝐜𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐚𝐧𝐲
𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐜𝐚𝐫.''

- - -

Author Note:

Every monster is different. Some live in fairy tales, some in the real world.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104K 3.2K 86
Y/N, upon death, is isekai'd into an anime. Thinking they would wake up with great powers, Y/N is stunned to realize that they were reborn as the mai...
9.1K 150 11
Y/n has some problems. Him being a big introvert don't really help him. Knowing Fuutarou since they were little, he became his only friend since he d...
44.3K 585 24
Yuki was born in a rich family and has Quintuplet sisters but sadly he was thrown into a orphanage after they seen that he isn't a girl. Yuki had a r...
82.9K 1.9K 35
Y/N was a guy who dedicated himself to becoming someone that everyone could depend on. A reunion with a childhood sweetheart doesn't hurt his cause a...