Hermitcraft 9: Savage Lands (...

By Xcreed07

The continent has been shut off from the rest of the world for centuries after the Dogwarts family overthrew... More

Impulse
1: To A Brighter Future
3
Newscast
4
5
6: Fall of Thundertop
7: The Fall of Hotguy
8
9: War
10
11
12: The Savage Lands
13
Epilogue: Just A Burning Memory

2: A Visitor

71 3 4
By Xcreed07

(???)

The waves lashed at the edge of my raft like wolves to a carcass. The dog and cat screeched at the ocean as if they could scare it away and protect me.

I could see an island in the distance. It didn't look inhabited. At least that I could tell. 

"Hold on!" I yelled, voice raspy. The dog and cat did the best they could.

A wave suddenly loomed out of nowhere, and everything went black.

//////////////////////////////////

I woke crawling up a beach and coughing water. The dog bounded up to me, nuzzling me with concern. I fell to my elbows, feeling the sand burn in my already scraped-up arms. Groaning, I fell and passed out again.

//////////////////////////////////

The next time I came to, I was leaning up against a cave wall with the cat curled up in my lap and the dog sitting on a nearby rock, watching out for any potential dangers. I smiled at that, leaning against the wall. The effort made my already parched throat burn in agony.

Trying not to gasp, I leaned forward with a groan. The dog panted happily, wagging its tail as it bounded over to me with a flask of water in its jaws. 

I seized it, drinking greedily. My inflamed throat slowly calmed down. I poured some water over my head, earning an indignant meowl from the cat. 

Then I frowned. This definitely wasn't mine. I didn't have one. 

That meant.

"Well, Froggy. Tilly baby. I don't think we're alone on this island." I said, voice raspy. 

//////////////////////////////////

I was right.

After getting some rest and about three hours of sleep, I stood and investigated my surroundings. I quickly found some old, shabby docks that I wouldn't trust to hold my weight for all the riches in the world. As I watched through Timmy's old telescope (still coated in blood, but dry now), I saw a pair of particularly nasty looking workers loading crates onto a massive ship that I really wanted to burn.

I giggled madly at the thought of it. But I kept my distance, still clenching my axe in my fist, even though they were at least half a mile away.

I turned around and went the opposite direction.

After a bit of walking, I pushed through the branches and found a warehouse on an abandoned dock. I decided to take a gamble.

Using the heightened senses I had gotten in my time with the wolf pack, I searched the place after breaking the lock open. Luckily, it looked like no one had been there in years. I also found a bunch of tarps that would be great for blankets at night.

Froggy mewled, pawing curiously at a dead fish. The kitten looked at me questioningly, as if asking permission. I chuckled and nodded.

"Knock yourself out." I said, and Froggy dug in for her dinner. I sat heavily, digging through a ration pack I had found. I offered most of the bacon up to Tilly, keeping the tough beef and bread for myself. Tilly whined, putting her head down on my knee. I stroked behind her ears.

"I know, girl. We'll go hunting in the morning. Get some fresh pork from some wild pigs, possibly sneak into town and steal some stuff." I promised.

After finishing her practically rotten, raw fish, Froggy cleaned herself and curled up in my lap and promptly fell asleep. Laying down on the hard, concrete floor, I stared up and watched the stars slowly come out. And after a while, I fell asleep too without stopping to wonder why the emergency kit was so fresh.

//////////////////////////////////

I woke to young, probably teenage, voices talking and laughing. Tilly stood on her haunches, looking ready to fight. Froggy hid behind her, terrified. 

"Hide." I hissed, pulling Tilly by the collar and scooping Froggy up under my arm. I slid behind some boxes just as the group of kids rounded the corner. All were about sixteen. My age when I had been dumped into Double Life. Their leader was the most curious looking. She looked human, with bright orange hair and emerald green eyes, but she had deer legs and what looked like sticks for antlers.

"Are you sure we should be here, Gem?" one asked timidly. The deer-person-thingy, Gem, nodded stubbornly.

"I come here all the time. Sometimes for days." she assured. No response.

"Yo, Gem! Did a wild animal or something get in? Is that why the lock was broken?" another asked, and my blood ran cold.

Of course. People still came here. Fresh-ish food and padlock.

How could I have been so stupid?

"Ummmm... I guess other people come here too still? Hello? Is anyone here?" Gem yelled. I cursed at the sheer idiocy of it. Red names could be anywhere. Did she want to get herself killed?

Oh, wait.

I'm a red name.

"I guess not. Huh. You guys can go explore; I need to check the food supplies." Gem said as I silently shimmed up a shadow-basked pillar. They listened, laughing and shoving each other the whole way. Idiots.

Once I was in a hidden, comfortable spot, I grinned slightly. Time to convince her this place was haunted. 

"Marrrrcccccooooo...." I whispered loudly, causing Gem to flinch.

"Not funny, Stress. Polo." Gem responded simply. 

"Did you say something, Gem?" a female, British voice came from behind the boxes. Gem paled slightly. I chuckled darkly. Clearly this place did have stories about it. The other girl, who wore blue jeans, a white tee, and pink hoodie who was probably Stress rounded the corner. 

"Did you hear that?" Gem asked softly, drawing a bowie knife from her hip Stress' eyes went wide.

"Why did you bring that?" Stress said a wee bit loudly. Gem shushed her.

"Whoever's doing that, it's not funny! Come on out!" she demanded. I laughed audibly, Stress hearing it this time.

"But it is kinda funny, honestly." I said. The pair slowly scanned the building, eyes passing right by me. Good.

"Stress, get everyone out for a minute. I have to deal with this clown." Gem sighed. Stress rushed to obey.

"That's not very nice, Gem." I faked hurt, laughing after.

"Who are you?" Gem demanded. I gotta give her points for that. I never would've talked to a 'ghost' like that at her age."

"Doesn't matter. But you shouldn't have sent your little friends away." I said, hopping at least a story down from my hiding place effortlessly. She noticed the movement too late.

I was suddenly behind her, axe pressed to her throat. 

"Don't try it." I said. Her eyes went down to the bloodstained axe.

"You wouldn't. You'd have a target on your back." she said stubbornly. I almost laughed at that.

"Girl, I've had a target on my back since before you were born." I hissed. She snorted.

"Yeah, ok. I'm gonna guess your human. About eighteen, correct? I'm about six thousand years old. The human equivalent to sixteen." she said cooly.

Huh. Interesting.

"Who exactly would come looking for you besides those friends of yours?" I said. 

"ImpulseSV."

"Who?"

She laughed at that.

"Seriously? Ok, here's a history lesson: He was the dwarf king. There. That jog your memory?" Gem spat sarcastically. 

"You're sure talking a lot of shit for someone with an axe against her throat." I chuckled.

"You talk a lot of shit for an outsider."

Oh, how I wanted to her right there and then. But something told me not to.

Spinning her around, I punched Gem in the jaw and knocked her out cold. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 130 24
There is the exaggerated thump of feet on the sand as if the owner of said feet had crashed harder than he intended. I hear the rasp of a sword drawn...
1.3K 35 22
Just some stories I came out with- So expect everything and anything ... I guess? Mostly +Hermitcraft +Life series +Some of my au's Have fun reading...
12.7K 664 23
In a found family of 26, you're bound to get a couple of interesting stories. The Hermits are no exception. Brought together through tragedy and hard...
25.8K 920 26
!!! Shipping not Intended !!! Mature language and blood warning Etc. Waking up in a huge dark mansion isn't quite your casual everyday morning. Bei...