Artificial Horizon - A César...

By 23meraki

You recently became part of the promotion team of the flag carrier of the country, and you're tasked to shoot... More

* Introduction *
I - Trade Winds
II - Squawk
III - Magnetic Bearing
IV - Glide Slope
V - Out of Trim
VI - Angle of Attack
VII - Shock Wave
VIII - Contrails
IX - INCERFA
X - Beacon
XI - 7500
XII - Lift
XIII - Homing
XIV - Knot
XV - Slip
XVI - Skid
XVII: Occluded Front
XVIII: Crosswind
XIX: Field of Vision
XX: Line of Position
XXI: Catch Point
XXII: Inversion Layer
XXIII: Rule of Thumb
XXIV: Downdraft
XXV: Dewpoint
XXVI: Threshold
XXVIII: Blind Transmission
XXIX: Mean Sun
XXX: Confirm
XXXI: Approach
XXXII: Feather
XXXIII: Mist
XXXIV: Pre-ignition
XXXV: Spin
XXXVI: Swell
XXXVII - Point of No Return
XXXVIII - Decision Height
XXXIX - DETRESFA
XL - Gravity
XLI - Open-skies
XLII - Spoiler
XLIII - Final Approach
XLIV - Artificial Horizon
* The Story behind ARTIFICIAL HORIZON *
XLV - Adverse Yaw
XLVI - Course
XLVII - Coriolis Force
XLVIII - Headwind
XLIX - Rhumb Line
L - Acknowledge
LI - Landing
The Succeeding Years
* Lt. César Basa (1915-1941) *
* Photographs *
* Timeline of AH's creation *
* Creating the world of AH *
* Sources & Credits *
* Inspired Playlist *
Bonus Chapter - Line of Position (Extended Version)
Bonus Chapter - Line of Position (César's POV)
Bonus Chapter - Touchdown

XXVII: Windshear

119 9 4
By 23meraki

A change in wind direction and speed between slightly different altitudes.

* * *

December 7th, 0300Z (1100LCL)
Aircraft registration: Airbus A320 | RP-C9918
Departure: RPVP | Puerto Princesa International Airport, Palawan, Philippines
Arrival: RPVE | Godofredo P. Ramos Airport, Caticlan, Philippines
Flight route: RPVE – SAIR1E – SAIRA – SAIRA – W291 – KALAH – Z151 – PALAY – W2 – IOO – TR14 – KLO – KLO7A - RPVE
(RPVE – SAIR1E – SAIRA – KALAH – WAKAN – PALAY – IGANG – IOO – BUSOG – KLO – KLO7A – RPVE)

After what happened last night, I am once back to considering whether to continue the growing acquaintance I have with Elian or not. But as the incident only involves the two of us, and no one else had been around to figure that awkwardness, I can say that I gain a clear understanding that Elian's actions towards me are very much parallel to that of interest; and even if there had been no exact wordings about it, a few words out of him are like clear indications of that from his side.

In the end, I don't want to be so assuming myself that there's really something beyond his actions.

That morning, the rain seems to be prevalent than anything. The winds are also quite too strong that one may think that a storm is coming; however, based on the predictions, there hadn't been any. But the violent waves is enough for our morning activity for the Underground River to be canceled. Not to mention that there are also some warnings that flights may be canceled, too, if the weather worsens. So, instead of being stuck here for a day or more, the rest of the team made an agreement with the flight and cabin crews that we're heading earlier to our next destination.

Hence, by the time we're all done and ready to go, we jump on back to the plane, awaiting clearance dutifully given after ten to thirty minutes of delay for an open window from the weather, and we're all aboard for Caticlan. Since such flight route is not offered by the airlines, this flight turns out to be a ferry one for the purpose of the promotional shoot. With too many vacant seats available, I manage to find a seat far from the rest of my team and live in such a lifetime moment as this.

The take-off and climb out had been a little tricky due to the weather, but it isn't one worthy of worry or trouble as both of our pilots deduced that the weather isn't as violent once above the clouds, and after a few shaking and turbulence, the rest of the flight had been calm and smooth-sailing.

To busy myself, I take my laptop and access through the team's drive of the latest photos and videos we've taken. It is strictly locked that anyone of us can only view it right now and not do anything more, and doing so leads me to look on to respective shoots that primarily involve Elian. And it is really so strange to find how it becomes much more evident that he is starting to resemble so much like César.

Ayaw kong isipin na unti-unti siyang kumikilos na parang si César, I think. Hindi kakayanin ng puso ko!

"(Y/N)?" a flight steward calls for my attention. At first, I didn't recognize him at all, but after a few days of interaction, I finally realize that I learned of his name through my dreams than in this reality. He is one of PAAC's pilots, too; and also, a close friend of César's—Salvador Manlunas. And I do not need to look on at his name plate to be assured that he's really Salvador.

I instantly close the laptop and turn to him with an embarrassed smile. "A-Ah, yes?"

He then places a small cup of warm tea on the next seat's table. The smell of it calms my nerves at once as he says, "Some chamomile tea. Freshly brewed."

I gulp in hard. "Hindi ako humingi ng tea, sir." I correct myself at once, remembering that he also tells me a few days ago, during the PR team and the flight and cabin crews' introduction to address one of us not too formal with one another, "I mean, Sal."

"Can't do anything about it, (Y/N)," he tells me, chuckling lightly, before he leaves me alone once more, this time, with the tea, "FO's orders."

* * * * * * * * *

The deployment orders for the Philippine Army Air Corps' Sixth Pursuit Squadron to be transferred to Batangas Airfield from Zablan Airfield had been an on-going rumor since August, but it had been finalized with too much of a short notice that led for the entire order to immediately completely report to its new base in five days since the command was relayed.

Knowing what it means, César had been quick to suggest to me that we should visit his parents another time before we leave. It seems like some sort of a routine of his whenever he is to be deployed somewhere far away from Manila; saying that he owes his parents this much of respect for allowing him to pursue this career in the first place. After all, there aren't too many things for us to deal with ourselves concerning what we shall be bringing with us to Batangas; we definitely work it all out over the weekend since the announcement itself.

Compared to the grand feast that had been presented to us the last time we've visited his parents for dinner, it is rather plain for tonight. Perhaps, it is because of the short notice or whatsoever; but it didn't necessarily mean that his parents didn't exert too much effort for such a dinner meeting. There's still more than what the four of us can eat, or rather... the atmosphere itself had caused such stillness and heaviness that it is quite too hard to swallow the delicious foods.

César, as the rational person he always is, didn't chide away from revealing the news at once. Well, there is no other way to break the recent deployment but to jump straight on with it than to let flowery details trail on the conversation as some diversion from what is really necessary to discuss.

His father, at that, sighs heavily. "So, the day finally comes, huh?"

I remember César once mentioning the possibility the last time in the presence of his parents, too. At that time, the rumors gone rampant because of the incident that involved Lt. Luzon and Lt. Juliano; this time, it had prevailed as truth with the death of the previous.

"It is to happen sooner or later, as I've told you back then," answers César. "Ngayong namatay po si Ruperto... kailangan po mailagay ang mga training sites sa ibang lugar kung saan hindi ganoon karami ang tao. If ever na may masangkot na civilians ulit kagaya no'ng una. Para hindi rin po siguro maka-istorbo sa mga nag-tratraining ng basic flying sa Zablan."

"Dapat lang talagang magkaroon ng sariling airfield ang squadron niyo, anak. Mahirap na kung nagkasunod-sunod ang problema ng isang department kumpara sa inyo."

"Isa nga rin po 'yon sa mga naging rason ng deployment na ito sa Batangas."

His mother, who've been quiet all this time, except for a short and tender greeting to us earlier on upon our arrival, finally decides to speak up. Her voice is quite forlorn and distant when she says, "Maigi na lamang at hindi mas napaaga pa pagkatapos no'ng nangyaring insidenteng nasangkot ka."

I flush at that. It seems like his parents are aware of what happened roughly a month ago involving César's own close-call. Even César didn't manage to say something at once about that.

"Rosario," chides his father.

"Mabuti na lamang at hindi sa iyo nangyari 'yon. Ikaw na rin ang nagsabi kamakailan na kaya namatay ang isa niyong kasamahan ay dahil sa parehong maneuver na ginawa mo rin noong isang buwan. Na sobra-sobra ang pasasalamat ko sa Diyos na hindi ikaw ang binawian ng buhay," she quakes before taking a shaky breath as if to ebb down the hurt. There is no doubt that despite the incident happening a month ago already, the possibility or what-if of the scenario is enough to make anyone wonder.

I can feel that this dream version of me has the same fear, too. Her emotions filter through me like my own skin, and just thinking of it is like a nightmare. What more then to César's own mother? How much of a vision of a living hell that it could be to lose her only child?

"Kaya dati, nagawa ko rin sabihin na sana nagkaroon ako ng kapatid," I remember César telling me before, one that I managed to recover from my own memory bank. "'Yong para hindi sila sobrang mag-alala sa akin. 'Yong may magiging masunurin silang anak na hindi katulad ko na pasaway at walang ibang ginawa kung hindi laging pag-alalahanin sila." And I also remember the look he gave me at that time that seems to add some unspoken words of: "'Yong kahit kapag nawala ako, magiging maayos lang sa kanila dahil may isa pa silang anak."

Oh, César... I think a parent's love isn't like that, I seem to want to tell him right now to make him understand such unconditional love. Just as how much they'll love another child, your existence will never be that replaceable for them.

"Ma..." César finally speaks up after a heavy sigh. "Kaya ko po sinabi iyon sa inyo noong nangyari 'yong insidente kaagad ay dahil hindi sa ayaw ko po kayo mag-alala, pero gusto ko po na malaman niyo ang katotohanan sa akin kaysa na magmula pa po sa iba. At hindi rin naman po ako magsisinungaling, at inaamin ko po na almost the same sa nangyaring insidente sa akin ang naging dahilan ng pagkamatay ni Ruperto. And the only reason na masasabi kong 'almost the same' ay dahil pareho ang nangyaring sitwasyon, pero hindi po natin masasabi na pareho rin ang naging response po namin ukol doon. Siguro po, oo, nanatili siyang kalmado at alam ang gagawin; pero hindi lang naman po iyon ang kailangang maging pareho para masabing magkatulad po talaga kami ng naranasan. Hindi na naman rin po maipapaliwanag kung ano talaga ang nangyari sa cockpit at that time; kung ano man po ang naging readings ng instruments niya, at ano pa man. And I am not saying that I am a better pilot dahil ako po 'yong naka-survive. But, Ma... I am here. I am trying not to do anything foolish. None of us do. Siguro I'll also be speaking on behalf of Ruperto rin na... hindi po namin ginugusto ang mga nangyayaring aksidente. Masakit din para sa amin 'yon. Ginagawa po namin ang lahat para mabuhay, dahil ayaw naming masaktan o malungkot man kayo."

It is quite a new thing to hear César being fully honest. The last time, he'll just do some reassurances and nothing more that will go into the depth of the explanation. Is it because of his own brush with death? Or is it because my words at him back then remains so fresh for him to be reminded of all of those possibilities that us, who do not have any idea with flying at all, will go on accusing him regarding his eagerness to die?

But then, César keeps another question hanging at the end, "Sa tingin niyo po ba gusto kong mamatay?"

"Nag-aalala lamang ako, anak," his mother counters a minute later, breathing out a sigh of her own. It sounds like she is in no mood at all to fight on and off once more regarding the whole ordeal itself. "Alam kong hindi lamang ako, at alam kong marami ka pang pangarap sa buhay." She lifts her eyes to look at me; there's still the evidence of mirth and affection in them, but it is very much clouded with fear and worry. "Hindi niyo ba napag-isipan ni (Y/N) na mas paagahin pa lalo ang kasal niyo?"

I almost choke at the sudden statement. I am sure that such thing is about to be inquired. After all, I am still surprise most of the time with the engagement treatment; and it all, once again, reminds me of César once telling me that we shall hurry with the wedding. I guess, in between that dream and this day, they surely, somehow, have settled when, do they?

César instantly catches my hand, squeezing gently as an assurance to me the next. "It was already rushed to the maximum, Ma. And dahil dito sa latest assignment, wala po kaming magagawa but to let the predetermined date to be as it is. Pero, kagaya nga rin po ng sabi namin dati, hindi naman kami bigla-biglaang magpapakasal out of the blue habang nasa Batangas; dahil mas gugustuhin ko rin naman po na nandoon kayo ni Papa kapag kinasal kami." At that, he slowly relaxes to turn to me. "Alam ko na 'yon din ang gusto ni (Y/N) mangyari."

"'Wag mo na rin ipagpamadali ang mga bata, Rosario," adds his father. He reaches out for his wife to calm her down and smiles lightly. "Mabilis na lamang din ang panahon. Saglit na lang din iyon. Mamaya paniguradong sasabihin mo na ang dali ng panahon at magpapasko na naman ulit. Let's say... ilang buwan na lang din. Wala ng dalawang buwan, ano?"

'Yong kasal? I almost blurt out. Less than two months na lamang? Tapos parang ang dami ko pang hindi nalalaman na nangyayaring paghahanda?! At bakit ko bigla prinoproblema iyon? Problema na iyon nitong dream version ko!

"Yes po, Pa," agrees César. "Mauuna pa po ang kasal namin bago ang Pasko."

"Oo. Alam ko na mabilis na lamang ang panahon, at ilang linggo na lamang iyon. Kaya dapat din na tigilan mo na, César, ang pagiging masyadong impulsive, at siguraduhin mong hindi niyo pinabababayaan ang kalusugan niyo pareho ni (Y/N). Hindi naman bawal ang pag-inom ng mga tsaa, 'di ba?" his mother inquires the next.

Ano namang mayroon ngayon sa tsaa? Parang pinupurga na ako ng puro tsaa ni Elian sa real world, tapos maging dito tsaa pa rin?

I am about to inquire what is behind with the needing to drink teas at this point, when César himself interrupts with a light chuckle and answers, "Ma, hindi niyo po kailangan mag-alala tungkol doon. Hindi ko po maipapangako ng buong-buo that I'll be able to stop being reckless or to do something stupid, but I can assure you that I and (Y/N) are looking out for each other's health. And, of course, I am ensuring her safety and happiness the most as my priority."

Even though the conversation had shifted from the notice regarding the transfer to Batangas and then to the on-going wedding preparations and then to this concern regarding both of our healths that I still remain suspicious of... there is no doubt that the truth that follows still lingers. For now, until probably the next, this is the most recent gathering with César's family; and definitely for him, for who knows how long the deployment will be and until the next given vacation, this is his meeting with his parents.

I can hint the worry when his parents, who've been treating me like their own daughter, embraces me with the lingering notice to keep myself safe and also to watch over César. And definitely it had been so evident when César and his mother share a tight hug, the latter showing indications of not wanting to let go with her own worry that if she does, it seems like letting him walk away, once more, to the great unknown waiting.

I didn't comment about it as the two of us remain quiet by the time we make it in his car. However, we're only quiet for a moment when he himself breaks the silence with a suppressed laughter, as if he remembers something out of the blue. He scoffs at that, "Talaga bang iniisip ni Mama na makakatulong talaga ang tsaa?"

"Madami naman talagang health benefits ang tsaa, ha? Pero, César..." I gaze at him intently, and since he himself is the first one who've spoken about the subject, I finally ask him to break away from my own curiosity, "Bakit kaya sa tingin mo sinabi iyon ng mama mo?"

He smirks. "Well, hindi pa ba halata?"

"Ang alin?"

"Pinapagmadali tayo ni Mama magpakasal dahil alam kong nag-aalala siya. After all, aside from her intention to see me marrying the best woman like you, she also wants to see me settling down and have my own family."

I blink, and I can swear that I only stare at him for a minute before I slowly look away as I feel my cheeks warm in embarrassment. Now, I understand for what is the tea she is speaking of for.

César laughs at that. "Kung alam mo lamang... ang tagal-tagal niya na akong sinasabihan tungkol doon. College pa lamang yata ako at sinasabihan niya ako na bakit wala raw akong girlfriend. Naalala kong nasabi ko kay Mama dati na, kung gusto nila ng apo, eh 'di sana nagkaroon pa ako ng isa o ng mga kapatid at 'yong mga 'yon ang hiningan nila. Kaya imagine mo na lang talaga na noong sinabi ko sa kanila na magpropropose na ako no'n sa iyo, imbis na tanungin ako kung seryoso ba ako, sinabi lamang nila sa akin kung bakit daw ngayon lang. Atat na atat na 'ata sila magka-apo."

I clear my throat. "Bakit? Atat ka na rin ba magka-anak?"

"Ano sa tingin mo?"

"César!"

"Don't worry!" he assures me as he calms down a little from his own laughter. "Alam mo naman na kung hindi ka pa handa, ayos lang sa akin. At hindi mo talaga kailangan mag-alala dahil hindi ko rin naman ipwepwersa na ipainom sa iyo kung anuman 'yong tea na 'yong tinutukoy ni Mama."

My cheeks are still burning when I say, "Akala ko naman lalasingin o pupurgahin mo ako sa tsaa kapag nagkataon."

"Hindi ako naniniwala na that they are effective, (Y/N), rather..." He grins at me the next. "I better improve my performance."

* * *

A/N: Vote, comment and share! Whatever you do means a lot to me, and I am really wishing for some feedback!

A few list of notes/flight trivia to share!
1. Clearance delivery is attributed to an Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) type of flight; in short, a type of flight wherein you are to depend with the instruments alone than for visual landmarks. Airlines, no matter how good the weather, or whatever aircraft flying above 18,000 feet, and those flying IFR, are in need of a clearance delivery from the airport departure and destination. We also call such as "ATC clearance". Aside from being dependent on the instruments, IFR also involves published navigation charts from departure procedures, en-route waypoints, arrival procedures and approach procedures. Hence, ATC hands over necessary informations for the said flight—giving departure procedure or arrival and approach procedures (for takeoff and landing, respectively), airways until the next or change of ATC contact, and latest aerodrome information. For cross-country flights which are under IFR conditions all throughout, departure aerodromes contact destination aerodromes to ensure that the latter are ready to accept and expect such flight's arrival. Hence, not all delays are caused by on-ground personnel, but also because of these deliveries, especially due to bad weather en-route or at the destination. And these deliveries are too long; causing ATC to inquire prior if the pilot is "ready to copy", because it meant that the pilot needs some pen and paper.
2. Ferry flights are those flights that have no passengers or payload itself. A crew just fly the aircraft just for the plane itself to be on the said location it needs to be, or sometimes, due to maintenance.
3. Turbulence once more, and another reminder that no one had crashed due to turbulence for the oast 50 more years. Planes generally climb at full power, and land with lower power depending on the established rate of descent and speed necessary to maintain positive control against such turbulence. Also, if the weather is too bad, no one will even dare to take the risk of flying, right?
4. Is it fine to just seat anywhere other than your assigned seat? Short answer to this will be a 'no'. Planes depend too heavily with its weight and balance.

Chapter title: Windshear. Such weather phenomenon is a dangerous one, as it often can't be detected by instruments and result a sudden drop of altitude of roughly 300 feet to 1,000 feet in seconds alone. And as a chapter title, it can be hinted as an additional turning point. César and the Reader are definitely moving onward to the unknown with the deployment at Batangas; the same as it had been for Elian and the Reader with how their relationship is starting to be by now. Things could lead to the better, or to something worse.

Follow me on twitter @23meraki for more updates and trivia. ;)
#CFBArtificialHorizon

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

My Sin By XxMeixiangxX

Historical Fiction

1.7M 68.8K 65
Liu Quiaqio, the Empress of the Jin Dynasty has given his heart, soul, and body to the emperor, he loved him to the point it exhausted him, but the c...
6.7K 165 15
Five years after Hiccup and Elsa's wedding, Elsa has a very special suprise for everyone. Come see what it is! Pictures do not belong to me
9.6K 139 74
Music🎧 is my life💕 The Lyrics are my story📄 Song Lyrics😍
70.6K 1.9K 42
"Hoy ikaw buntis ako kaya panagutan mo ko" 📍 ; A journey where a girl named Koo Jaewoo accidentally got pregnant by a boy named Park Jisung. What w...