The Bridgerton and the Counte...

By Bonneybae26

Josephine ( or ' Jo' as she insists) Hyedton, has never been the one that would like to ' settle down' and '... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42

Chapter 30

1.4K 24 2
By Bonneybae26

" You sure took your time," Collin said as Jo approached him, Lady Trowbridge's event already in full swing " Too busy doing your hair?"

" Ha!" Jo sarcastically laughed and threw her head back, as she took her rightful place by his side " Well aren't you one for jokes, missed me did you?"

" You would miss yourself too if you had to make idol conversations with frivolous lady's and they're pestering mamas!" Collin rolled his eyes.

" And is that the only reason why you missed me, hmm?" Jo raised her eyebrow teasingly.

" Well not the only-"

" A dance Lady Hydeton?" Lord Gremsby ( a pale sickly looking man with dark brown eyes and ginger hair) said, hand held outstretched.

Jo shared an apologetic look towards Collin before replying " Of course Lord Gremsby, it would be my honour."

" So," Lord Gremsby said, as the music began " How do you enjoy to spend your days?"

" Being left alone," Jo thought " A favourite pastime of mine is to read my Lord." She and the Lord then began to spin, but from the Corner of her eye she saw Collin take Miss Marina Thompson's hand and playfully whisked her around the room.

" Read?!" Lord Gremsby said, eyebrows raised.

" Mmmm" Jo hummed in reply, far to distracted by Collins and Marinas laughter.

" Why I do not think that is a popular phrase to say amongst the lady's!" Lord Gremsby stated.

" You do not say?" Jo's eyes tracking Collin across the ballroom floor.

" If I must say-" He began.

" You must?" Jo whispered, trying her best not to roll her eyes.

" I do not believe reading is a proper way for a lady to fill her days!"

" You don't?" Jo said, still not even fully present in the conversation they were having.

" No I don't, it makes Lady's too wild and and it causes them to ask too many questions and and-"

" It makes them too intelligent for their husbands to order them around like a dictator?" Jo was now finally present, she always was when a man started to ramble about what a woman should and should not do.

" Yes! No! I mean-"

" You mean you wish to control you bride instead of her making her own decisions in her life?"

" Well isn't that the proper way?" Lord Gremsby chuckled, which caused Jo's skin to prickle in anger.

" Is the proper way for a wife to be nothing more than a object of her husbands desire?!" Jo's eyebrows furrowed, but she still kept composure as they continued to dance and twirl at the correct moments.

" Now look, women are always so emotional." He rolled his eyes in annoyance.

" And men like you are always so heartless when it comes to talk about women." The song had finally come to a close, and Jo curtseyed " I would say it was a pleasure but... it is a sin to lie, goodbye Lord Gremsby." And with that Jo, walked swiftly away towards the edge of the room, leaving the Lord confused on what had just transpired on the ballroom floor.

" Gosh I hate men like that," Jo thought, as she mentally took a shiver and collected a macaroon from the waiters canopy. She then found herself, unconsciously scanning the room for the man who made her heart flatter, and there he was, making a swift direction towards her and away from Marina which made her smile to herself slightly.

However, just as he was approaching her another man stepped in front of him.

" Hope I didn't catch you at a bad time Lady Hydeton." Lord Dane smiled.

" Oh!" Jo said, taken aback his sudden appearance " No not at all, just appreciating the delicacies the event has to offer."

" Ahh I see," Lord Dane smiled down at her, a strange twinkle in his eye " and if I am not so brave to ask, where is Mr Bridgerton? It is rare a moment I don't have to steal you from his grasp." He laughed, and he looked about the room to see Collin staying with his mama taking time to glare over in Lord Dane's direction.

" Ha, I am sure his around here somewhere." Jo laughed slightly at Lord Dane's " joke".

" Well in that case, may you accompany me in going somewhere private Lady Hydeton?" Lord Dane lent down and whispered.

" Erm I am not sure that is proper my Lord." Jo laughed uneasily, and quickly scanned the room to see if anyone could get her out of this sticky situation, but everyone was occupied and Daphne and just rushed outside into the gardens.

" Nothing improper my lady, just away from prying eyes and ears that's all." He pressed on, and his piercing green eyes staring down at her so intently that for the first time in her life she felt small.

" O-okay." Jo nodded nervously, and Lord Dane smiled brightly with his dazzling white teeth.

" Perfect." He held her arm out for her and she cautiously took it. Lord Dane led her through the large Trowbridge home, taking stops at certain times to seem not suspicious or improper, till eventually he opened a door which he quickly urged Jo inside of before cautiously closing the door behind him.

The secret room Lord Dane had chosen had been the Trowbridge's library, and the lit fighter place and the few candles the room had were the only source for light. In order to distract herself from the fact that she was doing the one thing her Auntie and Violet had told her not to do ( be alone with a man... unchaperoned) she began counting the many books the Trowbridge's had.

" I know this may seem risky Josephine-" Lord Dane began.

" One, two, three..." Jo thought, as she counted the books.

" I promise, this will all have a respectable outcome-"

" Four, five, six..."

" I know this may not come as a surprise to you-"

" Seven, eight, nine..."

" But I asked your father for his permission, and he presented me your dowery-"

" Ten, eleven, twelve..."

" So, after courting you all season-"

" Thirteen, fourteen, fifteen..."

" I think it is only proper, and correct on the action I am going tonight-"

" Sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen, twenty..." She began to count quicker.

" So, Josephine Hydeton-"

" twenty one, twenty two, twenty three..."

" Will you do me the honour-"

" twenty four, twenty five, twenty six..."

" Of becoming my wife."

She stopped counting. When she looked back at Lord Dane he was on one knee and presenting a very large and very expensive looking diamond ring.

" My Lord!" Jo's breath was caught in her throat.

" I believed Arthur would be the better title, considering the monumental occasion we are both in." He smiled.

She couldn't breath. Seconds had turned into minutes and minutes had turned into hours. She knew this was going to happen eventually, so why was she surprised. Maybe because she didn't think he was going to propose so soon, or even at all. Although that would be a very silly thing to think with such a respectable gentleman he is.

She why couldn't she say it. Saying " yes" would do everyone a lot of favours, for one she would no longer have to worry about the constant pressure of marrying a respectable man where she would want for nothing in their marriage. Money certainly wasn't a problem when it came to him, judging by the size of the ring. He was going to become a Duke for heaven's sake! He would be able to manage the land she would one day inherit with ease. Everything was pointing into the direction of saying yes, her papa, her Aunt, her dignity and social class, even the ton and lady Whistledown believe that they would be a worthy couple.

Which is why she says:

Authors note:

Hehe

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.4K 336 45
❝I HEARD A LITTLE LOVE IS BETTER THAN NONE.❞ THERE IS NO GREATER STRENGTH THAN FAMILY. THE ORIGINAL VAMPIRE FAMILY SWORE IT TO ONE ANOTHER THROUGHOUT...
10.2K 134 22
It's been three months since Barry created Flashpoint. living a normal life with his parents are alive. when he returns from Flashpoint. he finds out...
752K 27.8K 103
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...
207K 4.2K 34
Theo was a little but he didn't know that he just knew that he likes childish things and the color green and pink typical. Zane is a billionaire who...