Starburst

By Ghostwriter0411

Cressida Kormos never really expected much to happen in her senior year, but things seemed to be looking up f... More

Season 1
Chapter 1: First Day of School
Chapter 2: Lunch Break
Chapter 4: Here Comes the Rejected Love Interest
Chapter 5: After Class Livestream
Chapter 6: Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Bomb Shelter
Chapter 7: Self Control, Where Are You?
Chapter 8: A Billion Sorries & A Trillion Regrets
Chapter 9: Basketballs, I Choose You!
Chapter 10: Rehearsals and Rogue Rodents
Chapter 11: Sleepovers
Chapter 12: Settle for Me
Chapter 13: The Kormos Clan
Chapter 14: Night of Nights
Chapter 15: It's Nice to Have A Friend
Chapter 16: I Got You (And You Got Me Too)

Chapter 3: The Triple Troy-Outs

60 2 19
By Ghostwriter0411

Welcome back to another monthly installment of "Starburst". In this chapter, Cress and her friends are gonna join the auditions. What else could possibly go wrong?

Disclaimer: I do not own 'High School Musical: The Musical: The Series' or Ten from "Weightless". Ten and Jeonghan belong to my friend @zealous_light. I only own my original characters. Enjoy the chapter.

— — — — — — — — — — — —

The next day, as soon as the last class of the day is over, many students made their way to auditions

EJ was very much dressed for the character he was auditioning for. Kourtney was touching up on Nini's makeup.

Cress couldn't help but notice how nervous Ten was. He never really liked to be the center of attention and was unabashedly shoving EJ into the spotlight.

"Is it possible that I pulled a few strings for the audition? I can't stand to dance in front of everyone." Ten whispered over to his two friends, nervously picked on the sleeve of his shirt.

"What if you weren't going to be the only one out there?" Cress spoke out, gears turning in her head.

"Cress, I don't like that look in your eyes." Ten frowned. That was Cress's "I'm-gonna-do- something-impulsive-and-wild" look.

"Y'know, I am kinda bummed there aren't many competitions here." EJ admitted. "It would make getting the leads all that sweeter."

But hey, he's not complaining if the roles immediately go to him and his girlfriend as 'Troy' and 'Gabriella', and his best friend Ten as 'Chad Danforth' and his cousin Ashlyn is basically his 'Kelsi'. It only makes sense. Though he supposed that Cress is probably gonna be type casted as 'Martha' from the High School Musical series.

Eh, she's already in the club for the drama. Might as well do something dramatic to start Senior Year with a bang.

"You want competition? I'll give you one." Cress pointed out, before she loudly made a declaration.

"Guys, Gals, and Enby Pals of the jury, I will be Troy-ing Out as Troy Bolton!" Cress declared, before she pointed a finger at her tallest friend. "Watch out, EJ, I'm gonna steal all the girls' hearts!"

"Did you seriously make a pun with Troy as Try?" Ten's face wrinkled a little, a bit both amused and surprised.

"My older brother Zale is into wordplay and making an excessive amount of puns." Cress waved a hand dismissively. "Must be why he's still single."

Zale has always been the studious older brother, he's a bit cold sometimes but has his own way of showing affection...Wait a second, Zale is basically like Ten but the literature geek version instead of a dancer.

'That explains so much now...' Cress thought, taking in the similarities her best friend and her older brother have. Also must be why Zale seemed to get along with Ten whenever they meet.

"You made that declaration when I told you I thought Marisol Martinez was cute last year." EJ frowned. A bit taken aback by Cress's sudden change of heart, but at least this could be a friendly rivalry.

"It was never really gonna work out in your favor anyways. Besides, she's dating Amelia Palmer now." Cress shrugged.

"Aren't you gonna be busy enough as the prop designer?" Nini asked.

"I'll manage. I am great at multitasking." Cress waved a hand nonchalantly.

"This explains why you can handle making friends with multiple people at the same time." EJ nodded.

Or how she can rush into relationships without thinking ahead...and then have Ten and EJ break up with her exes for her. Ten has a delicate way of breaking news to said exes gently. EJ...well, he's more direct and likes to poke some fun into it.

Cress went forward to collect a number it was rather last-minute. But better be on-time than late.

"Cress, you don't have to do this." Ten pointed out.

"Oh, but I want to. What's the point of going through the entire senior year if I don't get to share the spotlight with my two best friends?" Cress assured Ten, as she attached her number onto her shirt.

Ten was pretty sure this was Cress's bizarre way of assuring he won't ever be left alone or uncomfortable. He appreciated the gesture though...

"Look, when I was a kid watching High School Musical, I couldn't decide which character I liked best. The beauty of bisexuality, everyone's hot." Cress added.

"You're just auditioning to make every other homophobic parents mad if Miss Jenn decided to go for a Sapphic Troy and Gabriella." The stage manager, Natalie Bagley snorted a little.

"Guilty as charged." Cress winked as she made finger guns at her friend, earning a few chuckles from the other auditionees. She glanced over and saw that even Ten was holding back a tiny smile.

Welp, at least she managed to make her friend a bit at ease.

"You're gonna do great, Ten. You as well, Cress." Nini tried to provide some words of encouragement to EJ's friends, mostly at Ten.

"Could you even remember all the lines considering you decided to join at the very last minute?" EJ asked.

"You made me run some lines with you last night over the phone, I think we're good." Cress shrugged, "I have a good memory."

"Lies, you can barely remember the names of the Founding Fathers. And Ten had to help you memorize them in a different way." EJ shook his head.

She called them 'Geography Washing-Machine', 'Alexander Hamburger', 'Thomas the Jet Engine' and 'Benjamin Frankenstein'.

"I have a more...selective memory." Cress replied defensively.

"Ok theater people, let's do this!" Miss Jenn knocked on the door and announced.

And what happens next is what Ten could only describe as a human stampede of students rushing outside to the auditorium.

"A 5-6-7-8!" They all heard Miss Jenn announcing from outside.

Outside, a line of dancers were rehearsing some dance moves. One particular student stands out, and that was the girl with the 'Number 1' label. She radiates an aura of confidence and has a very strong presence on stage.

"Huh, I haven't seen her around before." Cress muttered under her breath. And since she's someone who is too curious for her own good, she's making it her mission to find out more about this new girl.

"Great! That's it for warm up." Carlos announced, as the dancers took a short break.

"That was the warm up?" Nini voiced out in a worried tone.

"Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do fine." Ten assured the younger girl.

"Everyone, pair up. Not with a friend. Theater is a community." Miss Jenn declared.

Unfortunately for Miss Jenn, Cress basically knew almost everyone in the theater club. Save for Number One. And some of the new freshmen.

Also unfortunately for Ten, he tried to subtly hint to pair up with one of his two best friends but they're gone to socialize now.

'Sorry Ten, I owe you one.' Cress mouthed, before she went over to Number One.

And dang it, she's too late! Nini got to Number One first. Oh well, time to go to the next person beside her.

"Hey Steph, how was your summer break?" Cress waved at one of the theater club members.

— — — — — — — — — — — —

Shortly after it looked like Nini was finished ice-breaking with Number One, but it didn't really seem too good.

"Hello, Tall, Dark and Beautiful." Cress approached the taller girl with a pickup line, "And what should I call you? Other than 'The One'?"

"I am very flattered, but not interested." The tall girl shook her head with a thin smile, "Gina."

"Eh, worth a shot. The name's Cress." Cress gave half-shrug, before she asked, "Are you auditioning for Gabriella?"

"Yup. Are you here to audition for Gabriella too?" Cress noticed that Gina seemed to tense up a little.

"Nope, here for Troy." Cress shook her head, "Not as in the character or whoever will end up being casted as him. I'm literally here to challenge gender norms."

"You must be new," Cress pointed out.

"I just transferred here." Gina replied curtly. Hhm, looks like Number One has laid out a wall between herself and the world.

"Makes sense, I would have remembered seeing a stunning girl like you." Cress nodded.

"And you are quite the flirt." Gina commented.

"So I've been told." Cress smirked, she wasn't known as a Residential Heartbreaker (with a string of exes from various schools around SLC) for nothing.

"Welcome to East High, Gina Porter." Cress gestured out a hand for a hi-5.

— — — — — — — — — — — —

Miss Jenn has apparently made everyone who wants to audition line up before asking them to read some lines for the character they are auditioning for.

"I'd love for you to read for Ryan." Cress glanced over and saw Miss Jenn talking to Kaden.

"You are giving major Taylor vibes." Miss Jenn talked to Steph who beamed happily.

'Awesome, hope Steph will get a good role!' Cress internally cheered for Steph.

Miss Jenn apparently also thought Kaison fitted 'Chad' best. And Ashlyn is reading for 'Miss Darbus'.

"You're reading for Ryan, right?" Miss Jenn stopped at Seb.

"I think he'd rather play Sharpay." Carlos whispered over. Seb flashed the teacher a bright smile.

"I love it. That is so fresh." Miss Jenn approved.

Cress nodded in silent approval, Seb is definitely pretty and talented enough for Sharpay.

"Lemme see, you are giving me...Martha vibes." Miss Jenn stopped in front of Cress.

'Why does everyone keep thinking I'm like Martha??' Cress mused a little, but decided to shelve that thought to the back of her head.

"Actually, I'm here to audition for Troy." Cress puffed her chest a little to make herself look more confident. "Look, if my future brother-in-law's little brother can audition as Sharpay, it only makes sense our generation should get a Sapphic Troyella."

And by 'sibling-in-law', she meant Seb's older brother. She mainly knows Seb because his older brother Elliot is best friends with and also dating her older sister Christine.

Huh I guess Elliot/Christine catwalked so Ricky/Nini could try to walk but tumbled down the slope.

"I like the way you think!" Miss Jenn beamed.

"Wait, I thought you didn't want to audition?" Carlos paused, he was pretty sure Cress didn't really want to join when he spoke to her yesterday.

"Times have changed." Cress winked.

Carlos responded with a half-shrug. Welp, can't argue with that logic.

— — — — — — — — — — — —

And so began the auditions. Cress and Ten sat near EJ and Nini as they all watched others

"Ok, we're down to our three last Troys." Miss Jenn declared, looking at the Golden Trio.

And since Ten is a bit shy at going upstage, EJ decided he would go first, then Cress, and lastly Ten.

"May the best person win." Cress reached a fist out to her friends for a fist-bump.

"We all know it's gonna be me." EJ scoffed playfully.

"Either way, best of luck Caswell." Ten nodded his head.

"Knock 'em dead, E!" Cress gave EJ a friendly pat on the shoulder as he walked up stage for the audition.

"Ooh this Troy has props." Miss Jenn clasped her hands together. "Whenever you're ready."

Cress overheard the two talking.

"What do I need to know about him?" Miss Jenn whispered over.

"EJ Caswell. Most Instagram followers. Wakes up looking like that." Carlos answered.

'Lies. I once slept over at EJ's place with Ten in 8th grade. He sleeps with the teddy bear he's had since he was a baby.' Cress chewed back her opinion. Her best friend may be super charismatic and charming, but he is more than that.

"Doesn't know I exist." Carlos added.

Cress grimaced a little, EJ can be super popular to the point he (and Ten) garnered many admirers over the years. Carlos just happened to be one of the many smitten with EJ.

Seb starts to play the piano while EJ starts singing 'The Start of Something New'.

Cress can't help but admire (but platonically) how confident and talented her tallest friend is. He's handsome, charming, and certainly has a Star Quality that's meant for the stage.

She glanced over and saw how awestruck (and smitten) Nini is. A few people were awed as well. Miss Jenn certainly looked impressed enough by EJ's performance.

"Excuse me, Armie Hammer just called. He wants his jawline back." Miss Jenn made a remark that a lot of the teens didn't truly get the reference.

Eh from what Cress could guess, that was just a compliment from the teacher.

"Awesome job out there, E!" Cress beamed at her friend.

"Naturally. Your turn, C." EJ suavely ran his fingers through his hair as he winked over.

"Good luck, Cress." Ten waved.

Cress started to strut her way up stage and gave a tiny wave to her best friends.

"What do you know about her?" Miss Jenn asked. Cress could tell the teacher was probably wondering if she was a freshman instead.

"Cressida Kormos. Senior. She's our head prop designer, plays the tuba for the marching band, and is part of the school's wrestling team." Carlos informed the teacher.

"Hey, I'm Cress. Get ready to be amazed!" Cress introduced herself.

Miss Jenn nodded, "Alright, let's see what you got."

Cress took a deep breath before she started to sing 'The Start of Something New'. She had been told her vocal range is an Alto (not exactly the ideal vocal range for Troy Bolton).

She's pretty sure she won't get 'Troy', but what's the harm in trying? What matters is that she's here, enjoying herself and hanging out with her friends.

"Nice work." EJ ruffled Cress's hair in response.

"Stop patting my head!" Cress grumbled.

"Can't help it, your hair is very fluffy." EJ teased. "Quick, pat her head for good luck, Ten."

"I will allow it." Cress sighed, allowing Ten to pat her head. "Mostly because Ten knows when to not push my buttons. Unlike you."

"And we are down to our last Troy." Miss Jenn called out.

Ten had a gut feeling his two best friends would surely hype him up when it was his turn. They can be extremely supportive like that.

...Also Cress somehow made a large banner with Ten's name on it last night after he agreed to join the audition. She made a big deal about it when she texted him last night. She is the 'Go Big or Go Home' type of friend.

"Break a leg, Ten." EJ cheered.

From a distance, the Thai-American could hear Miss Jenn and Carlos talking.

"What do you have on him?" Miss Jenn asked.

"His name is Ten, Senior. Excellent grades, plays basketball and does track and field sometimes." Carlos informed, as the teacher nodded in acknowledgement. "Oh, and he's best friends with EJ Caswell and Cress Kormos."

"Whenever you're ready, kiddo." Miss Jenn smiled.

"Hi everyone, my name is Ten. And I'm here to audition as a dancer." Ten introduced himself. His introduction certainly surprised a lot of people here.

"Go Ten!" Cress whipped out the large banner out of her bag and waved it around like a parade flag. "That's my best friend!"

"And my best friend! I met him first. My friendship seniority overrides yours." EJ nudged Cress by the shoulder.

Times like these made Ten feel both flattered and embarrassed by his friends.

Good thing Jeonghan isn't here or else he would have just been just as enthused as well. Because Cress would have wanted to get EJ, Jeonghan and herself matching t-shirts with alphabet letters to spell out 'Ten'.

The night before she tried to convince Ten into wearing a shirt with the letter "J" (to spell out 'E.J.') but he shot down that idea immediately. Mostly because his other friend Jeonghan was coming over to borrow Ten's family oven for baking.

The thought of his two most mischievous friends meeting (becoming friends even) sent a horrified shiver up Ten's spine. He prayed (and had been praying since befriending Cress) that day would never come.

Ok, Ten. Focus, take a deep breath...and dance.

Music starts to play, as Ten lets the melody take over and starts to dance.

Everyone was definitely impressed (and mesmerized/smitten) by Ten now.

Note to self: be sure to give the Shovel Talk once Ten gained a few new admirers. [ Seriously, the guy looks like he's part of a boy-band. How on earth does he keep thinking those simps are looking at EJ?? ]

"Was I good?" Ten walked down the stage before he was tackled into a group hug by his two friends.

"Super!" Cress grinned.

"You were phenomenal out there!" EJ handed Ten a bottle of water once the dancer was finished auditioning. "The best I've seen you."

"I baked you 'Good Luck Auditioning' cookies." Cress reached into her bag and dug out a large bag of cookies.

"Wow, thanks Cress." Ten smiled a little, accepting her baked treats.

"No fair! Where is MY share?!" EJ pretended to be offended.

"I forgot to give it to you." Cress stuck her tongue out, before fishing out two small bags of cookies from her bag.

"How could you possibly forget?" EJ mused.

Cress pointedly ignored EJ's feigned protests and passed the cookies over to him and Nini as well. "You get one too, Nini. Best Friend's Girlfriend privileges and all. Good luck auditioning later. You can share them with Kourtney if you'd like."

"These smell amazing." Nini accepted the cookies with a 'thanks'.

"They are. Cress is a fantastic baker and used to be part of the Baking Club." EJ nodded, before his voice trailed off to tease his friend, "Until she dated and broke up with the President and got banned."

"Hey! Yvonne was always snooping through my phone for clues if I was 'cheating on her' with you guys." Cress hissed over. Thank goodness Yvonne has graduated or else it would make things even more awkward.

"You had Ten break up with her for you at the end of our Sophomore year." EJ pointed out.

"He has a more gentle touch at letting people down." Cress waved a hand dismissively.

"I am seeing some very clear favoritism, Cress." EJ pointedly gestured to Ten's cookie bag being larger than the Caswell's.

"Ten is my favorite friend." Cress gave a smug grin.

"Well, can't argue with that because same." EJ would normally be offended by the blatant favoritism, but agreed with her sentiment.

"Time for the Gabriellas!" Miss Jenn announced, as several girls (Nini included) started preparing for the audition.

— — — — — — — — — — — —

And that's all for another monthly update for "Starburst". I'm ending this right before Ricky came in, because ooh boy that's another reaction of its own. Hope that you've enjoyed this chapter. 

Chapter Talk: -

(1.) While in 'Weightless', Ten was more nervous about auditioning (and got some words of encouragement from both Nini and EJ); in 'Starburst', Ten is still nervous but he's got a hype-woman of a best friend to impulsively/voluntarily jump off a cliff for him. So yeah, in this story Cress only ever decided to audition to make sure Ten doesn't feel too pressured under the spotlight.

(2.) Cress uses a lot of pickup lines on people, so she's definitely gonna try to playfully flirt with Gina as well. Cress acknowledges a beautiful person when she sees one. She knows how to flatter people and make them lighten up. She has an even bigger dating pool and more exes/flings than EJ, and often asks her two friends to break with the exes for her. (case point, Yvonne from the Baking Club)

(3.) Cress is gonna sometimes offhand mention her siblings. She's from a big family of 10 siblings (she's number 9 out of 10) and a slightly older adoptive mom, so she will mention them once in a while. Right now, we've been introduced to one of Cress's older sister Christine (dating Seb's big brother) and her older brother Zale (he's currently in college studying Linguistics, and is apparently prone to make lots of word puns. Cress mentions Zale reminds her of Ten). And her unseen baby brother (don't worry, he plays a bigger role later on in season 2).

(4.) I always enjoy writing for the Golden Trio's friendship. They have their own inside jokes, weird dynamics, and they still love each other. Out of the trio, both EJ and Cress mutually agree that Ten is their favorite friend. I may write some flashback scenes to elaborate their friendship later on (or that may become its own mini series/prequel), who knows?

Thank you so much for reading. Feel free to leave a comment down below and let me know what you think.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.5K 573 32
Nini Salazar Roberts is a new girl at East High academy. Ricky Bowen a popular boy sees Nini and immediately develops a crush on her. What happens...
52.9K 2.2K 46
Trying to regain EJ Caswell's heart, Bianca Sweeney auditions for the role of Gabriella, but something stands in her way. "..What could go wrong?" B...
39.7K 921 46
When a heartbroken Nini is finally ready to hang out with her friends again, she realizes it's going to be a lot harder than what she prepared for. W...
121K 4.5K 46
❝ DO YOU EVER FEEL THAT SOMETIMES WE LOVE TOO DEEPLY? AS IF WE'RE GOING TO BURN OUT? ❞ ❝ I DON'T THINK SO BUT IF WE DO BURN OUT THEN...