Arknights - Hearts of Fortune...

By MeniirwastakenFUCK

Tales of Iberian born Liberi named Alter "Valor" Valero. The so-called 'Treasure Hunter'. "Look, sometimes pe... More

Do you FW this new cover?
Hearts of Fortune
Siracusan troubles Part 1
Siracusan troubles Part 2
Kazimierz Showdown part 1
Kazimierz Showdown part 2
We won't meet again.
Whatcha Gonna Do When They Come For You? Part 1
Whatcha Gonna Do When They Come For You? Part 2
New year, New Place, New me
A bad feeling about this...
Meet the new boss part 1
Meet the New Boss part 2 (R)
SS1: Strictly Business
¡Hola iberia! Part 1
¡Hola iberia! Part 2
Items of Curiosity #1
¡Hola iberia! Part 3
Pandora's box

Merchants of Death

262 18 1
By MeniirwastakenFUCK

(An: Segway for the next Arc, which follows Grani and the knights treasure.)

Second floor of a 5-star restaurant in Columbia//1100 hours.

"I must say, Mr.Graaf, the steak here are very delicious, like you said." I said to the Kuranta in front of me.

Meet Mr. Andrezj Graaf, the founder and CEO of Dynamic Works Limited. He's an... alright person, being a second-generation immigrant from Kazimierz, and still going strong even in his old age.

Now! I'm currently eating out with him in a 5-star restaurant in downtown New York in Columbia. Fact is, me and him are business partners.

Long story short, when I was looking to modify Lateran guns to exclude originium from it and start mass modifying them, I happen to contact DW Limited, a Columbian based defence company to help me exclude originium. For a cut of the price, which is around... 20% of all gun sales I make.

Which, by the way, is still not legal, so the money has to be cleaned to avoid suspicion. Luckily, Mr.Graaf owns a casino. So, it streamlined our cooperation and strengthened our partnership.

"Ha ha! Right?? don't hesitate to order more! If it weren't for you," he paused and leaned in, "I wouldn't have been able copy these Lateran and Iberian guns." He said in a low voice and smiled.

"Well, the feelings mutual. I wouldn't have been able to expand my business either if it weren't for your company to help in modifying them." I chuckled and sipped my drink, "though, I heard that DW Limited is producing its first batch of guns?"

"We are! We're proud to announce that we're producing our first handguns. I can't tell you right now what it is, but we have something in the works." He smiled.

"Good to know, then. Seems like Raythean would have a new competitor on the gun manufacturing scene." I returned the smile.

"We're already competitors," He smiled, "thanks to you."

"You flatter me" I returned the smile.

"Oh! And before I forget," He says as he slips a white envelope with blue and red linings, "I'm unable to attend this, so I'll just give this to you."

Upon inspecting the envelope and turning it around and saw a big stamp of the Columbian Chambers of Commerce. With its Iconic, "The spirit of Enterprise" slogan.

"what's this?" I asked Graaf.

"An invitation to an exhibition by the C.C.C, obviously." He chuckled, "I can't go, because I have a scheduled medical check-up."

"And you want me to go why...?"

"You told me about that minigun you 'acquired' from the Apostolic knights, right? That you're trying to make it fire." He asks.

"Yeah. I needed ammo to fire it and rein devastation on something. Or someone," I shrugged. Bullets, and by extension, ammunition to firearms are crazy expensive here. Even Raythean sells them at a ridiculously high price, but Raythean offers an alternative to even more crazier bullet prices from Laterano.

"You should try going to Raythean," he said, "While DW and Raythean may be competitors, they have a wealth of experience in reverse-engineering Sankta guns and ammunition."

"I'll try anyways."

"Great!" Graaf checks his watch, "Ahah, I need to go to my grandchildren's talent show. See you later, Val." He excused himself as he walked away. Leaving me alone in the table and leaving around $5K CSD to pay for the meal, in cash.

I mean... alright. I'll have like, $20 CSD leftover. That is enough for... a glass of water. Perfect.

I signalled the waiter and ordered a glass of water. Which delivered the water in a record time of 2 minutes and 4 seconds.

The glass of water was alright. I mean, it was refreshing like always, it's fucking water what could you expect?

I drank the water, paid the bill, and left.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"-̶ Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one,

But the union makes us strong~!"

I was strolling around and milling about a couple distance from the restaurant in the busy streets of New York, when I stumbled upon thousands of people marching in protest.

"Solidarity forever~, solidarity forever~, solidarity forever,

For the union makes us strong~!"

They sang as they waved their red banners in the sky as they marched on. I can see that there are many races in the protest. Heck, even the infected is protesting side-by-side with their non-infected compatriots.

The police had set up a barricade to prevent the protesters from moving any further, leading to a tense standoff. Amidst the chaos, the protesters that number in the thousands continued to sing with their hearts.

"Is there aught we hold in common with the greedy parasite,

Who would lash us into serfdom and would crush us with his might?

Is there anything left to us but to organize and fight?

For the union makes us strong~!"

This is probably some Columbian thing. Or a city people thing. I was a country boy you see. Growing up in a Church in a relatively remote village in northern Iberia, only coming to the big city after I became an adult.

Even then, I've never seen protests such as this. Though that's probably because of the Penal Battalion's effort in maintaining stability by crushing any sort of things it deems 'destabilizing'.

Eh. You see something new every day, not my problem though. Probably my most memorable experience in Columbia by far.

I have much more important things to do, and that is washing money!

The exhibition is in about... 2 days. So I'll have time to have fun around here!

"In the meantime..." I muttered.

I stopped in front of a building. A Casino building, to be more specific.

See, I've deposited around 2 million LMD in a bank in Columbia and converted them to CSD. Totalling to about... 2,8 million CSD. Technically the money was already 'cleaned' because I converted it into a foreign currency, but hey, I just want to gamble once in a while.

Oh! But before that.

I pulled up my phone and called a dear friend of mine.

"Fred? You there? Busy working, I hope?" I greeted him as soon as he picked up my call, "Or perhaps you're hardly working!"

"...what do you want?" He asks still in a bitter tone. Come on! Don't be like that.

"Come one! Don't be like that! We're friends, aren't we?" I jokingly tell him, to which he answers with a sigh.

"What do you want?" He snaps, "I'm doing something important right now."

"Be prepared to fly out to Columbia. I'll have a helicopter wait for you." I said as I stepped up the stairs of the casino building.

"Wait, what?! Tomorrow?!" He was taken aback, "I still have work here! What about my work?!" he protests.

"Make up excuses. Come one, you're not a kid anymore, you can lie." I said as I approached the entrance to the casino, "anyways, gotta go. I'll give you directions when you arrive here. Adios~"

"Hold on a bloody sec-" I hung up.

After hanging up, I turned towards the entrance and walked with my head up.

Now! Let's get this party started!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hotel room//2100 hours//Next morning.

My eyes shot open and I shot up. Where am I? What happened?! Why am I lying in bed in a dimly lit room?

My head is pounding and my stomach is churning. My entire body feels like it's been run over by a truck. I can barely stand up straight, and my hands are shaking.

I checked the time. 9PM?! Wednesday?!

Damnit, come on... what happened??

I went to the casino, blew a lot of my money... got drunk and mingled with a lot of women. I think I brought one... or two... or THREE women to my hotel bedroom. I'm proud of myself for being able to do that, but... seriously?!

I just noticed that I am naked as well, so you can guess what happened.

I looked around the dark room and noticed that there are several empty bottles of alcohol, clothing, and the smell of bodily fluid. goddamn

Yeah, I gotta go wash myself.

As I stumbled my way towards the bathroom, I felt the remnants of last night's partying making a reappearance. I groaned and clutched my stomach, trying to hold back the nausea.

After what felt like an eternity, I finally made it to the bathroom and turned on the faucet. The sound of running water is soothing, and I took a deep breath as I climb into the bathtub.

The hot water feels like heaven on my sore muscles, and I let out a sigh of relief.

I can't seem to remember much beyond the drinking and the women. I shake my head, trying to clear the fog, but it only makes the headache worse.

I closed my eyes and let the water wash over me, hoping that the hangover will eventually pass. But for now, I'm stuck in this bathtub, feeling like a complete mess.

Sometime after, I unknowingly took a nap in the bath tub.

I woke up feeling relaxed. Which is especially true because I turned my head around and saw that the water is spilling over to the bathroom floor.

Groaning, I got up and turned off the faucet. I wore a bathrobe and walked to the bed and turned on the TV.

Pinching the bridge of my nose, I looked at the date and realized that I didn't take a nap, I slept the whole ass night. The exhibition is supposed to be at 1PM, while it is 10AM right now. Goddamn it.

Let's see... it would take around an hour by car to go to the place where the exhibition is being held at.

Let's get dressed, I suppose.

I got back to the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror.

I combed my hair the usual way I do it, combing my silver hair back. The black streaks in the front of my hair adding an interesting contrast to my hair.

First, I wore a simple white suit and a slim navy-blue formal pants. Looking good so far. Ah, of course, I wouldn't forget my leather belt.

Next, I wore a dark navy suit completed with black and white cravat.

And finally, my favourite long black coat that reaches my knees.

Looking good so far If I do say so myself, Alter Valero! I posed in front of the mirror mimicking guns with my hands.

Hehey, now that's the appearance of a lady killer right there. Now, time to pack for more important items.

I got out of the bathroom and pulled up two black suitcases and opened them up.

One of them stores my handgun. My lovely Desert Eagle. Impressive stopping power, gas operated recoil system, large ergonomic grip, and its durable stainless-steel construction.

Gripping the gun, I began to inspect it, checking its ammunition, and then I concealed it in my belt.

Next, there's the ever-reliable KRISS Vector, which I assembled and aimed down its sights. Such a reliable, accurate, and versatile weapon. I then conceal it by attaching it to my belt.

And we're done. Oh! And don't forget to wear my outback hat!

Perfection.

I checked the time. 10:41. Let's make it quick.

I went out to open my hotel room to leave and the second I opened the door; I got jump scared by the man known as Alfred Cordell.

"Fred! What the hell are you doing here?!" I ask surprised as my eyes went wide and I was taken aback.

Fred looked back at my room before answering straight to my face, "I got myself a job in Columbia covering an exhibition. The VBC sent me. Plus, you did ask for me to be here." He states.

"... Right, yeah. Well, what are you doing here? Why are you in this specific hotel?" I closed the door quickly.

"Work assigned me this hotel. And already, I want to jump off a cliff." He snides.

"which room?"

"621," he paused and looked at the room to the right of mine, "Which is right next to you it seems. How unlucky."

"Look, leave your luggage at your room and then we're going." I said as I picked up his luggage and approached his room, "Come on! Open it!"

With a sigh, Fred opened his room and I threw his luggage near the door,

"Alright! Let's go!"

I ran towards the elevator, Fred following closely behind via walking normally. I reached the elevator first and pushed the 'down' button. Which, I admit, took a little while and got me tapping my foot. The elevator arrived just in time as Fred casually strolls in it.

"Lobby, there you go," I pushed the button that takes us to the lobby.

Only for it to stop mid-way at floor 3 and an elderly woman entered with her cane.

"Excuse me, dear. Can you push the button to the lobby?" The lady asked me with a hoarse voice.

"We're already going there, ma'am." I replied in a calm voice as I put up a smile. I can see Fred raising his eyebrows in the corner of my eyes.

After a minute or two, the elevator opened and were in the lobby now, I ran outside the hotel to flag a taxi driver. Not hard to do considering there are lots of them in New York.

A taxi pulled up and I was about to gesture Fred to enter when all of a sudden, my sleeves were tucked by the same elderly lady from before.

"Excuse me, dear. Can you help me cross the road?" She asks as she points her cane towards the floral Café from across the street, "My granddaughter works there..."

"It would be my pleasure!" I smiled. She then latches onto my arm and I began to walk her across the street.

Carefully guiding her, we made it into the other side, she thanked me, but not before tugging my sleeves once again as I was about to leave.

"Would you like to meet my granddaughter? She's a very beautiful woman. She's strong, independent, and-" She begins to list all of her granddaughter's positive traits, personality, and favourite food. I stopped her right there.

"ahah, maybe another time, ma'am. I'm in a hurry right now." I said smiling. It's clear to me that she's trying to set me and her granddaughter up for a date. Which... I'm not exactly looking for a partner right now.

After saying goodbyes, I crossed the street once again to enter the taxi. Which Fred should be in. Which I'm right. Fred was writing something when I entered the backseat of the taxi.

"Head to the Union Convention Centre. And make it quick." I ordered the driver.

And just like that, we're cruising the Columbian roads. Hopefully we don't get stuck in traffic, 'cause I think I might attract bad omen to that kind of things.

"I'm surprised you can smile." Fred speaks up as he continues to write in his notebook.

"Yeah, I'm a person too." I said nonchalantly and waved my hand at him as I leaned back on the seat.

"isn't the Union Convention Centre the place where the C.C.C will be hosting its exhibition?" Fred asks.

"Yup. You'll get a privilege by being inside the exhibition." I smirked at him, "I bet the VBC isn't allowed to have access there?"

"That's... great for me..." he said carefully, "I believe the exhibition will bring out several Columbian companies?" he asks.

"Precisely what we're looking for. Or more specifically, what I'm looking for, is a defence company that is willing to collaborate with me on... well, you'll know later on." I shrugged.

"That makes me even more worried..." He took a deep breath.

The ride to the UCC went smoothly, not getting stuck in traffic which is a first for me. And we soon found ourselves going up the steps of the UCC.

"Halt. Press must go to the Press entrance." A security guard halted us.

"Oh no, he's with me." I said to the guard.

"Then why is he carrying a camera with the VBC written all over it?" he states.

I look over to Fred and indeed the camera he is carrying has the VBC written to its side.

"He's... He's cosplaying."

"Cosplaying as a journalist?" The guard raises his eyebrows.

"Yes. He's weird."

Fred stared at me unbelievingly. Oh come on, I just saved your ass and you're going to be like that?

And so, we entered. Just like that. No inspection because I am a high-class gentleman.

We entered the UCC and witnessed an incredible scene of companies displaying their newest products.

The floor was filled with a flurry of corporate officials talking to each other and inspecting each other's products.

Hell. There's a company that's displaying fucking water filtration like it's the newest breakthrough in technological advances.

I'm not here to gawk at some boring water filtration system or a pencil sharpener. No, I made my way to the defence section, which is where the real deal is.

And there he is, the one and only Salvador Brynley. Owner of Raythean industries, standing in front of his booth talking to other suited people.

Speaking of, his booth is showcasing a... interesting contraption.

It's a toaster.

"Mr. Brynley." I said to get his attention.

That caused him to look at me in surprise, "Oh? You're that guy Graaf told me about." He spoke.

"He told you about me?" I ask as we shook hands.

"Well, yes. He told me quite a bit about you. And, among other things, you want something specifically made by Raythean, yes?" he said as he motioned the others to back away.

"Yes, I do have something I need specifically." I answered.

"Well, what is it? I'll see if I can talk it to my engineers. For an appropriate price, of course." He winks.

"Are you familiar with the GAU-8 Avenger Rotary Cannon?"

At this, his eyes went wide and he answered, "The ones the Apostolic knights use? Yes, I've heard of it."

I grinned upon hearing this, "Yes, that one. Listen," I leaned in, "I managed to acquire one. And I need ammunition to make it sing." I said in a low voice.

"You managed to get one?!" He half yelled in a low voice, before looking around and replying, "What type of ammunition are we talking here?"

"30mm rounds." I simply state.

"30mm huh..." He trailed off as he rubs his chin. After a moment, he turned back to me, his eyes bright with excitement. "You know what? I'll have a talk with my engineers later. I'll make you some ammunition, for the right price, of course."

"Perfect, and don't worry about money." I grinned.

He nodded and look around, "Enjoying your time here?" he asks.

"Well, I've only been here for... 10 minutes. And that's the time I spent talking to you." I chuckled.

"haha, well, be sure to look around and enjoy the latest products and technological advancements Columbia made." He gestures at the many, many booths featuring wacky items.

"Well, I suppose it is a time of relaxati-"

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMM!!!

What the hell?! I looked towards the sound of the explosion and found out that the ceiling was blown away and many people descended from it.

Oh of course its Reunion! What other than Reunion?!

"Take cover!" one of the security guards yelled as they moved to protect the people.

From the corner of my eyes, I say Salvador cocking an HK416.

"You brought a gun?!"

"You don't?" he replies nonchalantly as he gave me a side-eye.

"...Fair point." I pull up my KRISS Vector. And we began shooting at approaching Reunion soldiers.

But they just kept coming. Reunion soldiers charged at us while the crossbowmen fired arrow from some distance.

That didn't stop our bullets to pop their heads off, though. We did that quite efficiently and reduced their numbers pretty fast.

We both got into cover as we were joined by security guards and corporate officials.

Remind me to not raid a convention where defence companies are present.

"Ha ha ha! Well, well, well... What do we have here? Seems like you all were kind enough to leave these weapons in such a convenient location for us! How thoughtful of you!" Some irritating voice announces. Probably referring to all these defence companies bringing in their newest and advanced weapons here.

It was a boy, a fucking boy. Some short white-haired boy with a very punchable face to me. Next to him, is a black-haired boy, standing quietly, and a bit taller than the other, but short nonetheless.

"I think both of them are important people." I told Salvador as both of us took cover from an incoming barrage of arrows.

"I think so too." He said as he reloads his gun, "First one to pop their heads wins $100."

"Deal." I smirked.

Aiming for the white-haired boy first, I shoot a burst of bullets at him. Only for it to be blocked by... Some weird zombie people. The burst of bullet killed it, but it alerted both of the boys and they dispersed.

Damnit.

The black-haired boy's arrow flew towards me with a terrifyingly accurate aim. I almost lost my head there, luckily, I ducked down.

"Just my luck I have to deal with this..."I muttered annoyingly as I hid.

Hmm? Whoa! Shiit!

A Reunion junkman appeared beside me and swung his weapon at me, to which I managed to avoid just in time and I emptied my mag at him.

Which did nothing.

Fuck me! He shrugged that off like it was nothing.

Oh I have something for ya alright.

As the junkman was preparing for another strike, I pulled up my desert eagle and fired multiple times at him. Which, thanks to the piercing round, was able to kill that son of a bitch.

"Rest In hell, terrorist."

Hmm?

"Fred? You're still here?" I noticed Fred cowering under a table.

"Do I have a choice?" He spoke.

"Fair enough, here, take this." I toss him my KRISS Vector, "Reload it first. I hope you know how to use a gun?"

"I'm willing to try." Fred changed the mag a bit slowly.

Great, I found someone that can use a gun. Unlike a certain person in Iberia.

"Look, those Reunion fucks are stealing prototype weapons made from advanced technologies which-may-or-may-not-be-experimental-in-nature-and-is-easily-very-flawed. We're going to stop them." I told Fred as I reloaded my Deagle, "got it?"

"Under...stod"

Hearing this, I moved forward whilst shooting any Reunion member I come by.

BANG!

A Reunion member drops dead.

BANG!

An approaching Reunion member ready to slash at me drops dead as a bullet shattered his skull.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

More Reunion soldiers drop dead. Even those who tried to approach me, I put a bullet in their body before they can reach me.

BANG! BANG! CLICK!

I shot at the crossbowmen when I ran out of ammo. I needed to reload.

Just the, an arrow hit my hat and sent it flying.

"Faust! It's time to make our exit. We've got what we came for," The white-haired boy announces.

The black-haired boy, now named Faust, if I guess correctly, starts to make his way to him.

Oh no you don't. I reloaded and unleashed a barrage of lead at him, which he barely dodged them all.

While shooting, I closed the distance between me and him. Snipers are strong in long-range, but how do they fare in CQB?

Before Faust even had time to react, I appeared in front of him and delivered a swift kick to his stomach. I had my gun aimed at him, ready to finish the job, when he suddenly retaliated and shot an arrow straight through my abdomen. The pain was excruciating, and I could feel the blood gushing from my mouth.

"Bastard," I muttered under my breath as I blindly fired off shots in the direction of my attacker. But it was no use. The darkness was closing in, and I knew my time was up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hospital//2000 hours.

I opened my eyes to see that I'm laying in bed, in a hospital, and with the TV on. I saw Mr. Graaf sleeping in a couch.

"Oi. Old ass horse." I tried to wake him up.

Which seems to work, as he opens his eyes and looking around confused as to why he's here.

"Huh? Valor, you're awake?" He asks dumbfoundedly.

"No shit sherlock, did your eyes go bad?" I sigh, "Why are you here then?"

"Originally, I went to you to tell you about a rumour circling around after you woke up. I didn't expect that I have to wait a whole 2 hours just to wait for you to wake up." He stretches his body and letting out a sigh of relief.

"What happened anyway? Wait..."

Wait, I do know what happened. My body got fucking penetrated by an arrow at point blank range by some rando.

I looked down and saw that my stomach was bandaged up. Uhh, I still feel weak...

"I wanted to tell you... There are rumours about a knights' treasure in a village in north Kazimierz called Dewville." He states.

"Treasure?" I looked at him.

"Yeah. It's been circling in the bounty hunter community recently"

I paused to think for a bit. And after a while I picked up my phone.

"Fred?"

"Fuck you're alive?"

"We're going to Kazimierz pack your shit."

Finis Fabula

(Author's note: Thanks to Breadunderscore for proofreading. i've noticed that i have not yet describe Valor's appearance and/or his past. would you guys want that?)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27K 617 19
Killua and Gon find themselves in another universe without any idea on how to get back into their own world. They meet others, make new friends, but...
748K 34.8K 200
First book of Grandeur Fantasia. Second book is Grandeur Fantasia 2. Leon Rivelia, the heir to the largest conglomerate company in the world, was sud...
350K 8.8K 79
I love you Shoto.... So this night let's become inseparable.. Take me.. Two stupid Teenagers that made a stupid choice resulting in severe conseque...
5K 123 7
Have you ever had a one-night stand with a person you didn't even know their name? Eliana has and that night changed her life forever. Eliana didn't...