New Orleans I 18+

By CynthiaRayneOfficial

18+ | FIRST BOOK in 'The Gangster's Girl' series | COURSE LANGUAGE | VIOLENCE | SEXUAL REFERENCES Welcome to... More

1. Welcome to New Orleans
2. Sadistic Love Affair
3. Fragile China Doll
4. Testing The Waters
5. Bribery And Chaperones
6. Ice Cream Parlour
7. Fight Or Flight
8. Forever, Unfinished Business
9. The D'Ambrosios Keep
10. Love, Lust, Rejection
11. Games We Play
13 - Falling For Evil
14. Asked and Answered
15. No Turning Back
16. Salacious Intensions
17. Low-Blow
18. Sick Pleasure
19. Sickening Deed
19. Sickening Deed
20. Harder, Faster
21. I'm Going To Break You

12. With Polished Execution

72.7K 2.1K 226
By CynthiaRayneOfficial

Distance was a concept Reece hadn't quite understood when it came to us. This morning however he'd been nothing but. He hadn't so much as looked in my direction. His morning friend had only wound the dangerous man tighter, and I could see something explosive just beneath the surface. Walking across the bed on my knees, I slipped my arms over his tense shoulders. "Morning..." I whispered. Stilling for a second, he continued to type out something on his phone. Reaching around to snatch the device out of his hand, I held my breath waiting for a reaction. Standing to his intimidating height he watched me warily. "I said, morning Reece."

Holing his palm out, he scratched the back of his hair. Smirking, I returned his mobile. "I'm going to go take a shower-" collecting my things, I watched him over my shoulder "-you're welcome to join." I laughed, pushing the door ajar as I stepped into the ensuit. I knew the man wouldn't, his restraint was commendable- I'd give him that.

Having brushed my teeth, I switched the faucet off and carefully stepped closer to the door left slightly open. "Listen, if you're late Jimmy- payment? How 'bout I let you keep breathing fucker..." Reece's voice fell silent and his heavy footsteps began to near. Moving away from the crack, I tiptoed into the shower cubical, switching both the faucets on quickly. Returning to the door, I pressed a palm to my beating chest. When he spoke once again, I breathed easier.

There was no margin for error, I would not get this opportunity again. Reece was particularly good at what he did, the best. He didn't slip up often and that alone raised all sorts of questions about what had been brewing in New Orleans. The bedroom door slammed shut and I returned to the shower. Dressing in half the time, I rushed downstairs.

Scanning entry points as I searched for Ward, I clenched my jaw. Sneaking out of the manor wasn't likely, the security was on high alert. My attempted escapes were at the forefront of their checklists.

If I had the slightest faith that Reece was going rogue, I would have brought Ward in on the plan. However, lately it seemed everyone was conspiring with one another, and I was on the outs. I couldn't yet be sure if Ward knew of Reece's, impromptu disappearing acts and lucrative rendezvous in the park.

Catching a glimpse of the built man's well-kept body as he rounded the living room corner, I bolted after him. "Ward!" Losing him in the west wing hall, I realised he was on his regular loop this morning. B-lining for the pool, I decided to meet him at his destination rather than attempt the chase again.

Within moments of entering, Ward appeared. Sighing, I hurried over to him. Surveying his tablet, he continued around the space. "Good morning, Ward." Looking up from his screen, he held a finger up to silence me. Pressing the same finger to his earpiece, he spoke into the small device.

"Put another body on the back gate. Fifteen-minute intervals." The concrete man stiffened on my approach, instantly on guard- no doubt suspicious of my intentions. Switching off his tablet he folded his arms across his chest. Linking my fingers in front of myself, I blinked up at him innocently. "What can I do for you, Annie?" He asked mindfully, almost as though he were regretting the phrasing of his question.

"What I can't just be in the mood to greet you, Ward? I have to need something to approach you?" I could have sworn the corner of his mouth twitched with amusement. It was hard to tell with Ward, it could just as easily have been a brief muscle spasm. Raising an eyebrow, he tilted his head in a gesture to proceed with my request. "Okay fine. I'm bored...I want to go out. Anywhere really. The park maybe-"

Not even allowing me the curtesy to finish, he dropped his arms. "No. You stay here, Reece-"

"Isn't here." I offered, slightly irritated to learn that now Ward also took orders from the pro-guns walking poster boy. "All I'm asking for is half an hour, Ward. You can take me yourself." Pleading with him, I dropped my shoulders in defeat. Gesturing around the room I sighed. "I'm going crazy, Ward, please." I was begging at this point.

Running a hand down his face, he weighed his options. Despite his bravado, there was a softness to Ward- one I had reached and exploited many-a-time. I wasn't exactly proud of it, but I was also lacked options when it came to even a slither of freedom. Surrendering he nodded. "Thirty minutes, Annie." He reiterated, ensuring we were clear on the time frame. Throwing my arms around his neck I thanked him repeatedly. "I'm going to go put my joggers on-"

"There'll be no need." He stated.

Confused, I stared down at my flip-flops. They definitely weren't up for a stroll through the park, or a possible foot chase. "I don't think these are suitable for the park, Ward."

"We won't be going to the park. A shop should suffice to ease your boredom. One with cameras and a single-entry point. I shall select a place. The park is too open and populated." Gearing up to argue, I caught myself before I spoke. This could still work. I had Ward on board with getting me out of the manor, which had been the main obstacle anyway.

There were plenty of boutiques near the park. A small assist from the powers above and I could still be at that meet today. Nodding, I listed several stores within the park's immediate radius. Allowing him to choose one should distract from the fact that I wanted to be in that specific area.

I hated the outdoors with a passion. I wasn't particularly a fan of bugs, plantation, dirt, grass- anything that isn't indoors and can attract critters of any sort. Exercise was an absolute no go for me, I despised the very concept of cardio– even more so those who participated in such torment for pleasure. Unfortunately, I didn't have much of a choice. Very shortly, I'd be inflicting the same physical torture onto myself in order to avoid being caught.

Having selected a store, Ward instructed another two guards to join us. I presumed they'd be the ones I had to sneak past once I was out of the shop. Sighing, I covertly glanced up at the sky. "Thanks for nothing." I hissed under my breath, sidling up to the SUV and climbing in.

***
Ward barely gave me an inch as I walked down each aisle absentmindedly. I kept scanning the time on my phone. I was beginning to get uneasy. I had fifteen minutes to be at that drop and Ward was really earning his pay today, refusing to leave my side. The sound of high-pitched giggling drew my attention. Lifting my head, I watched a tall brunet walk out of a dressing stall twirling in a thigh-high red number. Looking past her, I bit back a smile, God was good sometimes. The storage room next to the small changeroom had a small window attached to the back wall.

The tight squeeze would be obstacle number two...number one would have to be the height of the window. I undershot the reach by a good three feet.
Snatching whatever my hand landed on first I ran towards the change rooms. "Annie!" Ward scolded. Halting immediately, I straightened my hair.

Clearing my throat, I smiled "Sorry...I just really wanted to try this on." I rushed out, hugging the item to my chest. Eying me suspiciously, he nodded– turning to scan the store once more. Rushing into the stall, I peeked outside. As Ward scanned the store once before stationing himself with his back to the change rooms. Ducking into the storage room adjacent, softly closing the door. I tossed the hideous black tank I'd selected before stacking the unpacked boxes beneath the window. Throwing my hair up into a messy bun I watched unsteady stack of carboard.

Carefully moving to the makeshift ladder, I began to climb. Unlatching the lock, I carefully pushed the glass up. I pulled myself up with a firm grip on the ledge, pushing off the boxes beneath me. Who knew lifting your own body weight would prove such a difficult task? Struggling for three painful minutes, I managed to claw my way out. The fall upon my exit was both expected and brutal. Groaning as I dusted myself off, I broke off into a dead sprint for the park.

My mad dash went unnoticed by Ward's men; not so much by the serval strangers I knocked to the ground on my route. Although apologetic, I was infinitely more worried about meeting the pavement myself. Cutting across the road my several traffic infringements were highlighted by the chorus of pissed off horns. Patience is a virtue. My subconscious hissed, appalled by the lack of empathy for my current state.

Catching my breath, "Fuck me..." I wheezed. Walking around the loop of the park, I pulled at my shirt, sweating from areas I was previously unaware I could perspire from. This was disgusting. Hair strewn; I scanned the area. Groups of oldies, out on their morning walk. Athletic men and women jogging the trails with ease. Parents, accompanying their minors on the playground equipment. But no, Reece.

Reece wasn't a man you missed, not even by accident. He was large and dominated any space without even trying. He wasn't a man that blended in. Either I had fucked up, he had caught on or– checking my phone I smiled– I was early.

Mentally applauding myself, I noted this day– never to forget the commendable achievement. Clearly, I had tapped into some deep-set athletic aptitude. Following the trail, I continued to scan the public. I staggered forward, the front of my rubber flip flops catching on the concrete trail.

Falling forward into a large tree trunk, I rubbed my foot. Peering around the tree, I gasped. Sliding back, I remained hidden by the large trunk. "Shit." Reece stood by the lake, glaring at his phone. Although I only had a back profile to gauge from, I was certain. Pulling back, I sucked in a sharp breath.

I could do this. Surely being clandestine wasn't that hard, I'd made it this far after all. Carefully moving to a row of neatly shaped hedges, I slipped into the leafy display. Cringing as plantation and twigs alike grazed my skin. This was a new low.

Crouching in the oddly damp bush, I prepared my phone. Praying no insects decided to use my body as a jungle gym, I pressed record on my device. "Stalking from a bush- yeah you're a catch, Annie-ouch..." I whispered, elbowing a twig digging into my side. Reece scanned the area, tensing as he did so. Biting my tongue to prevent anymore noises that could alert him to my presence, I stilled behind nature's camouflage.

After waiting several minutes even, I wanted to throttle Reece's dealer, I mean time meant money- or was that not a thing anymore. My eyes widened when a guy in baggy jeans and a grey hoodie walked towards him with his head tucked to his chest. Parting the hedge cautiously, I positioned my phone. "You're late." Reece seethed and my subconscious lunged into a corner screaming abort mission.

"By a minute man-" Reece fisted the lanky man's hoodie, effortlessly hauling him closer. His jaw was clenched so tight his bone structure became– if possible– increasingly defined. So, fucking sexy. I thought. "Too bad he's also a criminal, murderer and toeing the line to insanity." I mumbled. My eyes zeroed in on a familiar bandana, one favoured by the Rising Son's rival gang the Renegades.

"Do you fucking have it?" Reece growled. The Renegade, clearly regretting his decision to appear today, nodded furiously. Even I was beginning to worry for the guy. Releasing him with a harsh jolt, dismissing him as a human being at all, Reece pulled a large wad of cash from his jacket. His dealer dug into the pocket of his jeans, nervously looking from side to side. Placing a closed fist in Reece's palm, the frightened soul took the money and tucked it into the belt of his jeans. "Now get the fuck outta my town." Reece didn't have to ask twice; the Renegade was gone just like that. Fading into the crowd and disappearing as though he'd never been there at all.

Only he had been, and I had the whole thing on video. The amount wasn't enough to have been for commercial purposes, but personal use...that wasn't Reece's style. Even if he had hit rock bottom he'd never use, especially from a Renegade.

Taking this as my cue to also vanish, I scrambled out of the hedges. "Oh, shit-" I cursed eyeing the twig I had just snapped beneath my gigantic, fat ass foot! Closing my eyes, I awaited a destructive apprehension. When it didn't come, I sighed out in relief. Peeking over the bush I pressed a hand to my chest, Reece had left. Smirking I looked down at the video evidence of Reece dealing with a Renegade. Marco Trammel would skin his son alive for consorting with Renegade scum. "Gotcha asshole..." I had my leverage; it was time for some answers.

Spinning on my heels I slammed face first into what could only be described as a stone wall– one that smelt like spearmint and sex. Gulping, I slowly lifted my head, titling back enough to look him in the eyes. "H...hey..." I sang shakily, taking in the gangster's unimpressed features. His jaw tightened and my body shivered with emotions I could no longer analyse. What the hell now Nancy Drew?! My subconscious added, strapping on Kevlar. I had no fucking idea. Plausible deniability let's start there.

"Explain." He ground his molars together, restraining an anger raring to be free. I chuckled nervously and took a covert step back.

"It's kind of funny actually...I started to miss you..." I trailed off trying find the words to dig myself out of the hole I'd just plummeted into. My eyes drifted to a couple jogging, and I smiled brightly back up at the fuming giant. "So-I was, I was like why no get some exercise in. You know fresh air, a nice jog." Softening, he raised an eyebrow, and I could have sworn I sensed a glint of amusement in his eyes. "Woh...gotta finish that jog!" I exclaimed, popping up my thumbs. Smiling I spun to leave, swinging my arms.

"You got a caterpillar on your shoulder." He informed nonchalantly.

Screeching, I shivered dramatically. "What?! No! Get it off! Ah! Get it off Reece!" Jumping around like a maniac I hysterically swatted at my back and shoulders– clawing at my skin. I was close to tears imagining a hairy, little thing creeping all over me– mapping a hatching ground for its creepy crawly babies. "Reece-please get it off!" I screamed crashing into his body and clinging to him desperately.

"Wanna tell me again you're here jogging." He mocked. Pushing away from him I fixed my clothes and hair. Clearing my throat, I looked around and folded my arms over my chest.

He'd crossed a line, toying with my dislike for insects. "Big deal- so I don't like bugs. That doesn't mean I wasn't here jogging-" I started, sticking to my story.

"Cut the crap, Annabelle." I swallowed when his voice took on a quieter, darker tone, absent of humour and amusement. He scanned the park, forcing me to cringe further. Narrowing his eyes at me, he stepped closer. "You're here alone." I shrugged, retreating instinctively.

"Well, I guess that depends how you look at it-" Catching me above the elbow, he dragged me across the park. "Ouch easy, traitor!" I snapped.

Fastening his grip, he glared down at me . "Watch it." He warned.

Knowing I'd hit a nerve, I persisted. "What, not ashamed to deal with Renegades but puff your chest when you get called out on it?" I scoffed, clawing at his knuckles to free myself.

Shaking me once, he dropped his face to mine. "You know nothing." Drawing me closer, he cupped my chin- pressing my cheeks into my mouth. "Unless you wanna swallow a bullet anytime soon, stay the fuck out of this." He husked, almost amused by the violence he'd described.

Shoving away from him I rubbed the tender flesh encircling my arm. "I'm game fuckwit." Pulling my sleeve down to cover the bruising, I clenched my jaw. "I saw everything. The Renegade, the money- the fact he walked away from here without so much as a scratch." Watching him in disgust I took a step back. "You're done Trammel- you know better than anyone how your father deals with traitors." Stepping to me he growled, animalistic and feral.

Smug and unfazed, I moved to walk around him. "You're gonna get yourself killed, Annabelle." Running a hand down his face in frustration he glared at me. Grabbing me again. Shoulder to shoulder, he eyed my phone. "Hand it over." He ordered.

My palm balled into a fist, refusing to obey. "Is that a threat?" Pulling out the phone, I shook my head. "Imagine screwing up this bad on camera... getting caught by an amateur." I mocked, playing the video of his treachery. Pinning my front against a tree, he bent my arms to sit at my back. Snatching the phone out of my grip he deleted the content. "You pathetic fuck! You think I need that- unless you want me to inform your father of your little rendezvous in the park, you're going to give me the answers I want." Releasing me abruptly, he distanced himself.

Turning to face him, I snatched my phone back. His slackened body watched the floor before slowly meeting my blazing gaze. "Last night...you were playing me." He rasped; his features shattered. My stomach turned watching his broken eyes analyse my betrayal.

Warily closing the distance between us, I reached for him. Flinching away he scowled at me. I felt the urge to throw up. He was truly hurt. Had I gone too far? "Look, Reece I'm going insane here. I need answers- I knew you'd never let me get to them and your father is the only one that can reign you in- nothing else scares you." I explained, desperately wanting to ease the sting.

Laughing without humour, he tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "You do." He replied bitterly. His confession turned my skin cold. What kind of love was this?

Fisting his jacket I crashed into him, my own emotions now taking the wheel. "I told you I wouldn't stop, Reece-" The sound of two consecutive gunshots echoed throughout the park. Birds scattered from trees as people gathered their loved ones into sheltering embraces. Taking my hand, Reece pulled me behind himself. Gripping the material of his jacket I stood paralysed behind his protective frame.

Taking us across the grounds to his truck, he hauled me against the vehicles side. "Get in." He commanded, several screams drawing his attention. I fastened my grip, unable to bring myself to separate from him. Breaking my hands off his jacket he opened the truck door and lifted me inside. "Stay here." I shook my head, words failing me. I couldn't tell whether it was fear or shock that had silenced me. Cupping my face, he forced me to look up at him. "Annabelle. Stay here." He repeated, desperate for me to follow his instruction. Slamming the door shut he jogged towards the crowd that had gathered by the left-hand side of the park, closer to the street.

My heart hammered behind my ribcage; my anxiety spiking with an urge to see. I felt a strange uneasiness watching Reece part through the horrified crowd. Climbing out of the vehicle I ran towards the congregation. Reece knelt beside someone while speaking into his phone. "Not breathing." He informed, describing the injuries and lack of heartbeat.

"God..." I breathed, taking in the lifeless body sprawled across the grass. Stiffening, Reece turned around slowly, lowering the phone. The small shift gave me full view of the Renegade we'd both seen alive minutes earlier. Clothes soaked with thick, maroon stains; liquid still oozing from the fresh bullet wounds. Clutching my chest and hair, I turned away hyperventilating. Nightmares I had hoped would fade returned full force. Fuzzy, hazed memories of blood-streaked streets, violence, and the metallic stench of blood. The feeling awoke something that resembled fear within me only, it felt more like rage, accompanied by a sense of retribution. My knees buckled, crashing into the grass I was met with a soft landing. Reece's arms cradled me as I struggled to sooth my racing heartrate.

"You. Keep everyone back until the cops arrive." Reece barked orders harshly as he scooped me into his arms- holding me close to his chest. "Annabelle, don't remember...come back." He rasped, distancing us from the scene.

Don't remember what? Come back from what...where was I about to go?

***
"Stay away from me!" I screamed scrambling back and pushing further into the corner opposite my bed. Pulling my knees to my chest I rocked back and forth trying desperately to shake the image of a bleeding body from my eyes. My mind kept flashing from the blood covered dead body to a memory- a construct of my mind that had haunted me since childhood. Shaking my head against my knee I sobbed.

My bedroom door closed slowly, and I released the breath I'd been holding. Lifting my head, I watched the empty room with a blank expression. I didn't know why but seeing Reece was unbearable right now. Something about the violence that followed him made me look within, to a darkness I'd tried so hard to supress. He awoke it, this sick scene in my mind that looped but never really revealed anything. Emotions swirled within me, and I had no way to explain them or organise them in a way that would allow me to function again.

He did this. Reece did this.

[SEVEN YEARS EARLIER]

The cool New Orleans air kissed my skin as we leisurely walked down the cultured sidewalks. Cutting through alleyways, I reminisced on one of the most amazing nights Reece and I had spent together. "Okay...but what if I were to, say...accidentally fall into your bed naked-" an excited yelp escaped me, Reece's arm snaking around my waist and pulling our bodies into a collision. Rolling my bottom lip between my teeth I bit back a laugh.

Adoring the action, his head ducked low to place a soft kiss against my jaw. "Are you trying to kill me?" He husked, the words sounding breathless to my ears. My heartbeat spiked when his strong hold on me fastened possessively. Running his free hand up my back he clasped the base of my neck. My lips brushed over his; his flavour ushering into my mouth. The oddly erotic act sent a symphony of tingles right down to my toes.

"I had a nice time tonight..." I admitted, shocked that behind the murderous brute New Orleans feared rested a gentle giant. Smiling the gorgeous man took my mouth in a hard kiss, moaning I leaned into his body. My lips parted granting him access, a low moan vibrated from his throat appreciating the gesture. Pulling away in a daze I replenished the oxygen I'd lost, Reece advanced once more.

Chuckling leaned back and bit my lip. "So, you are trying to kill me then..." His husky voice heated my body with desire. I was surprised and even impressed by his restraint. I wasn't ready to become that intimate yet and Reece of all people hadn't pressured me. The man had a reputation– one apart from the untouchable gangster he was– for being a complete slut. Fucking anything that opened their legs for him.

I hadn't encountered that myself. He seemed sated just being there with me. He found serenity in holding my hands, lying next to me, and just talking for hours on end. That being said the physical attraction was most definitely charged between us. Since Reece I had developed a taste for the teasing routine, it was undeniably empowering. "I thought you did the killing-"

A loud bang echoed past us. Gasping I flipped to face a hooded man pointing a gun towards both Reece and I– the dark backdrop highlighting a visible cloud of thick smoke left behind by the gunshot. Breathing heavily, my widened eyes slowly lowered, expecting to find a gaping hole, seeping blood. Paralysed, my mind began to dissolve into blurred images.

Within seconds the hooded man was fleeing down the street, dark alleyways flanking the far side. Releasing me abruptly, Reece took off in pursuit of the stranger. My gaze fell to the warm blood splatted on my shoulder...It wasn't mine. My fight or flight triggered; my heart clenched with fear. I could not think straight. My mind was buzzing with images of reality and what I could only assume was fiction.

Foggy images, grainy and distant flooded through every nerve– pulsating with an urgency that terrified me. The sound of another gunshot jumped my body into a desperate sprint. I clutched at my chest as a familiar sense of loss ripped through me, Reece...every thought I had was of him. Although my mind told me that this was inevitable, my heart refused to lose the man.

This was his world, the moment he took his first breath into this world a perfectly carved bullet sat in wait...his whole life would forever be at the mercy of one gunshot or another. Grunting and cursing echoed from a distant ally, hurrying towards it I froze. My gut churned at the sight of blood marking the greyed pavement.

Flattening my palm against the brick wall to my side, I unsteadily shuffled deeper. My eyes wandered to the flickering light perched high at the end. Reece's heaving form hovered over the motionless stranger– pure rage and blood thirst emitting from the beastly man. My gaze fell to our assailant, a soft groan left his lips– reaching towards me the small man shivered uncontrollably, his body going into shock.

The image melded with another, only a painfully gorgeous woman lay in the place of our assailant. Battered and drowning in a pool of her own teas and blood, she reached for me desperately. Fisting my hair, I tried to blink past the ache splitting my skull.

Raising the back of his jacket, Reece reached for his gun. His long, muscular arm extended beneath the flickering lightbulb– fingers firmly wrapped around the powerful weapon. My heart rate spiked and steadied in the same moment. The woman smiled sadly before morphing back into the brutalised man. My conscious was at a crossroads, and I could not understand why. Opening my mouth to protest I paused. This was wrong. I knew that and yet I could not bring myself to stop this. My mind attempted to rationalise it.

Flickering between Reece's cold, emotionless eyes and the beaten body reaching for mercy, my eyes remained fixated– captivated by the brutality. Reece tilted his head, his shadowed features watching me. I had never seen him more serene than in the second before he pulled the trigger– unflinching and unrepentant.

My ears rang with the echoes of the bullet leaving its chamber, smoke surrounding the small weapons end. The flashes returning, grainy images forcing me to my knees. Fisting my hair, I wanted to scream, my eyes burnt with dark images that made my heart bleed. My vision began to blur as I fell against the brick wall. Reece's large form, stepped over the lifeless body– walking towards me.

My body shook violently as I struggled to silence my mind. Consciousness finally lost the battle against my mind. Before my head could meet the cold unforgiving pavement, Reece's large form was cradling me. Hauling me into his arms, he carried me away from the scene as my eyes closed.

[PRESENT]
Tightening my arms around my knees I rocked back and forth for the next hour. Digging my nails into my skull I screamed. I could not describe what was fighting to break free, all I could describe was the incapacitating rage shackled to pain. Crying into my knees I closed my eyes tight and prayed... I wasn't even sure what for–or even if I had a right. Trapped in the worst nightmare possible with no hope of waking up– I knew one thing; Reece had the answers.

The killer I'd fallen for years ago was either my salvation or my demise.

____________________________________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 598 31
"The sight has my insides twist in a tight knot. His jet black hair that touches his shoulder, his defined abs and chest bulging through his shirt, h...
55.7K 1.6K 63
In a world full of darkness love has no place nor no strength of survival. A Girl with a dark past and A ruthless mafia boss; two worlds come crashin...
158K 4.4K 36
(Book 1) Rose valezquez is a regular seventeen year old girl. You know happy, moody, beautiful and the list goes on. But soon that changes. Accidents...
427K 9.2K 45
''I'm the leader of this gang,'' he informed me. ''Is that supposed to intimidate me or something?'' I asked with raised eyebrows. ''It should.'' ___...