Arknights - Hearts of Fortune...

By MeniirwastakenFUCK

Tales of Iberian born Liberi named Alter "Valor" Valero. The so-called 'Treasure Hunter'. "Look, sometimes pe... More

Do you FW this new cover?
Hearts of Fortune
Siracusan troubles Part 1
Merchants of Death
Kazimierz Showdown part 1
Kazimierz Showdown part 2
We won't meet again.
Whatcha Gonna Do When They Come For You? Part 1
Whatcha Gonna Do When They Come For You? Part 2
New year, New Place, New me
A bad feeling about this...
Meet the new boss part 1
Meet the New Boss part 2 (R)
SS1: Strictly Business
ยกHola iberia! Part 1
ยกHola iberia! Part 2
Items of Curiosity #1
ยกHola iberia! Part 3
Pandora's box

Siracusan troubles Part 2

255 21 1
By MeniirwastakenFUCK

Ursus and Leithanien.

What do they have in common?

They wanted the Laterza necklace, of course. Or, dare i say potential buyers of a stolen item.

I made several calls these past days, and only two of them are the only promising candidate of buyers. When all others just... Offered pennies, compared to them.

I'll have to thank Fantasma, or if it is his real name, someday for helping me hiding and sending the Laterza necklace.

Anyways, this week i have a scheduled meeting with each of them. Negotiations, and I'll sell it to the ones who are willing to throw away more money at me. Now that's business.

Let'see. I have a meeting with... Ursus. Oh joy... Take a guess, are they going to send a skilled diplomat who is also a great negotiator and a silver-tongued guy, or a cool meathead military guy with some political leanings I might not agree with?

I'm gonna guess the latter.

Whelp. Might as well get going i suppose. It's already mid day?! Why does time pass so fast when you're in a bath?!

Alright, Valor, stop monologuing. You got this.

------------------------

Church, Empire of Victoria//1400 hours.

The church is empty. Well, almost empty. A majority of people don't believe in the existence of a higher power, a God. There are exceptions, i mean, some people believe in the spirits of the dead and the spirits of their ancestors.

I'm seated in the pews in the back row. Currently, I'm looking at the priest who's taking care of the orphans that live here. Heh, reminds me of my childhood. Occasionally i take out a small copy of the bible and glanced at the pages, other than that, I got really bored.

Come to think of it, how did they managed to build a church here in the first place when there are so few who regularly pray?

Well, any religious institutions are pretty good at making money if you know what i mean.

A tall person sat next to me and took a deep sigh, "I suppose you're Valor?" He asked in a low voice.

I took a glance at him and replied in a similarly low voice, "General Kalinkov?" i ask.

He was a man in his 50s, if i had to guess. An Ursine, obviously. Wearing a dark brown-ish coat and a military beret of all things.

"слава Урсусу." He replied as he slowly extends his hand.

I shook his hand firmly.

"i have to apologise for arriving late. There was... Matters of state to attend to." He retracts his hand.

"I'm guessing it has to do with Chernoborg?" i crossed my arms.

"Mhm. Reunion activities. Terrorist activities have been on the rise." He did the same and crossed his arms, and we both looked at the priest and the children, "fact is... Our infected population is getting rowdy. I was ordered to pacify them."

"Mm." I nodded.

"What is your opinion on the infected, Mr. Valor?" he suddenly asks a question and looks at me.

"Nothing much? Indifference if i dare say. I have no reason to hate them nor do I have any obligations to help them." I state.

"you'll soon have a reason to hate them. You'll find out for yourself sooner or later." He turns his head.

"Well, i don't wanna fuck around and find out now do i?" i chuckled.

I mean, I've had limited contact with the Reunion movement, and I'd like to keep this status quo for better or worse. I don't want to be put in a government's watchlist or something. Though that might already be a reality...

"Well then. General Kalinkov? Why not we get straight to the point?" i smiled.

"Very well. It is in the best interest of the Ursus empire to obtain the Laterza necklace. We are willing to pay any amount of LMD to acquire it." He states as he looks at me with a serious face.

"Mmm. Even if i ask for one billion LMD?"

"That... Requires consultation from the emperor." He paused, "i can say that it is not outside the realm of possibility." He grabs a cigarette.

"I would suggest not smoking in a holy place."

"Right. Excuse me." He quickly puts away the lighter and the cigarette.

"So Ursus is willing to pay one billion? Is that what you're saying?"

"Unlikely. But there is a possibility." He shrugs.

"I'm guessing you guys are gonna turn it into a weapon of kass destruction?" i chuckled.

"You know us well." We both smiled.

------------------------

Café de Victoria//1633 hours//strong rain.

I'm taking a break in a cutesy café about 5km away from the church. Ursus is willing to pay up to 300 million, after much consideration. Now that is a lot.

As much as i want to sell it to them immediately, i still have a meeting with Leithanien who's on the other extreme end from Ursus.

"Sir, your Americano and french fries." The waiter arrived with my food and put them on the table. After which, he quickly went back.

Ah, bitter coffee and salty snacks, my absolute favourite.

What do they call it? Ah right. Living the life.

Look at how far you've gone, Valero! Hard to imagine eating in a fairly high-class café like this when two- no, FIVE years ago you were a part-time cook at a pub struggling to make it in the big city. I'd say that I've been a successful man!

Not sure about Aro though. But eh, what can i do about it? He has his decision and i respect it.

As i ate the french fries one at a time, we're not savages here, my phone rang. A Siracusan number! Who might that be i wonder?

"Yello." Thinking nothing much, picked up the call.

"Enjoying life, Mr. Valor?" The voice from the other side said. Colour me surprise it was Fantasma!

I was not surprised.

"Ah, of course." I snickered, "thank you for delivering the item and paying for it, appreciate it, by the way."

"... Listen up. News number one. Il nonno passed away. That means I'm the Capo of the Carolina famiglia." He announced with a thick Siracusan accent.

"Oh! Should i refer to you as 'Your majesty' now?" i laughed, only to hear an unamused 'hmph' from the other side.

"Second news. Some journo is writing shit about you. Might've been tipped by the Laterza's to set you up"

"...Can you elaborate?" my smile froze.

The sound of a liquid being poured into the glass was heard as he explained.

"Listen. There's this cat journo sniffin' around our business, been pokin' his nose where it ain't belong. He thinks he's got somethin' on us, somethin' about a transaction we made. You can guess which one it is. And now, he's got his sights set on you."

Mafia talk, great. The sound of him gulping was heard.

"The guy works for the Victorian Broadcasting Company, VBC, you know? The Laterzas ratted us out to him, spilled the beans about the necklace and your connection to the mafia. We gotta deal with this guy, and fast."

"That could be a problem. But i don't see how a journalist publishing one singular article about me and some necklace can hurt me or something." i said with a low voice as i laid back on the chair.

"Listen here, pal. You've been livin' and doin' your thing in Victoria 'cause you got yourself a benefactor, no? And we both know it's some nobleman. But here's the thing – if this article goes public, that nobleman ain't gonna stick his neck out for you no more. He's gonna wash his hands clean and leave you high and dry. And you know what happens then? The Victorian constabulary will be all over you like flies on shit, diggin' up every little thing about you. And once they're done, they're gonna send you packin' back to Iberia—"

"Yeah yeah i got it. I keep forgetting you're from Siracusa. Jeez, keep it in formal talk would ya? Not this mafia crap." I sighed, "so? How does he look like?"

I felt a tap to my side.

"Excuse me, is this seat taken?" the person points to the empty chair in front of me.

"Nope." I simply replied.

The person then takes the chair and joins a group of people partying about 3 tables in front of me. Eh, why a café of all things?

"Were you listening?" Fantasma asked through the phone.

"Sorry, sorry. Something came up."

"listen 'ere. Feline, young, maybe in his early 30s. Grey hair, grey tails, white spots. Left- handed, square glasses. Outgoing. Family man." He explains.

My brain processed the information for a while before realising.

That's the fucking person who asked to grab a chair before! I looked at him and his group.

Feline, seems like he's in his 30s, grey hair and tails with white spots. Holding his beer on his left hand, glasses, and having a conversation!?

That's it. That's him. That. Is. Him.

"Hey uh, Fantasma? Catch you later." I hung up on the phone.

The rain outside intensified and the streets began to accumulate pools of water, not to the level of flooding though. I mean, after I ended the phone a very loud lightning strike shocked everyone in the café, including me.

Ahhh... What is this foreboding feeling? Hmm? Oh, my coffee is gone. And so is my fries.

Whatever, you're filthy rich now, Valor, albeit on dirty money. I'll just order more. No problem.

As I raised my hand to call a waiter, the café's entrance was burst open by a man in his... 20s if had to guess...

"HELP! HELP! IS SOMEONE HERE A DOCTOR?!" The Feline yelled clearly agitated, "My Wife is about to give birth!!"

Hold on. What?

"Sir, please calm down." Said one of the waiters attempting to calm him down, "What happened?"

"My wife went into labour and the FUCKING RAIN made the highways congested!! We can't get to the hospital in time if the FUCKING RAIN isn't­­-" The man rants.

"Ok ok we get it. Where's your wife?" I approached him. He's pretty desperate looking at his face. First time parent, maybe?

"She's in the car! Are you a doctor?!"

"Me? Not by a longshot. But I do have experience in delivering." I shrug.

That was a lie. I mean, a half-lie.

When I meant I had experience in delivering babies, I just meant that I accompanied a priest deliver a baby for near the church where I used to live. I am a good observer, you see? I am confident in my abilities to deliver a baby safely. I hope.

The man wasted no time in getting back to his car to bring his wife inside. I told the employees and they informed the manager, where she gave permission to use the staff room as a temporary emergency room.

I also asked them to call an ambulance quick as possible.

"Hey, can I help?" Someone called from behind me, it's that feline guy, "I'm former boyscouts."

"...pardon? I think I misheard that."

"No, you heard me right. I'm a former boy scout, I have a medicine merit badge. I know a thing or two." He confidently states.

"...Just... help me hold her down, okay?" I sighed as I took off my coat and hat, he did the same. As far as I know, the boy scouts medicine merit badge doesn't involve y'know, DELIVERING A BABY.

The man entered with his wife slung around his shoulder, we both escorted them to the staff room to begin the delivery process.

God help me for I have zero experience in this.

We laid her in a wide table that's been formed by other tables. Hard tables, might I add. So her back would be quite hurt.

But there are more important matters at hand.

"Okay, let's do this." I muttered as I rolled up my sleeves.

"Alright, ma'am I need you to push. Slowly..." I said to the wife. The feline guy Is holding her shoulders so she doesn't suddenly flinch and fall off. While the husband is consoling her by holding her hand.

Her screams reverberated through the room as she struggles to bring a new life into the world, even beating out the intense rain drops outside. She pushes with all her might.

"I can see the head! Come on now!" I yelled in encouragement; her breaths came in short, sharp gasps as she fought through the agony of childbirth.

"That's it! One or two more pushes and you're done!" I yelled as the baby's head pops out, the body should follow suit, I hope, "You! Feline guy. Not the husband. Get over here!" I shouted.

"Check for that.... Ahh what was It called?" I tried remembering in frustration as I needed to focus on delivering the baby.

"Placenta! It's the placenta!" The husband yelled.

"Right! The placenta! Make sure it comes out smoothly while I focus on the baby!" I ordered.

The sound of her screams filled the air, just a little bit more... I concentrated with all my might as sweat drips from my face.

And suddenly, amidst the chaos, a tiny cry was heard, a new life is born.

------------------------

Nova vita creatur.

A new life is created.

"Congratulations, it's a girl." I said exhausted as I lift the baby, still letting out an ear-piercing scream.

One thing I love about Laterans is that they have a saying about anything. One thing I admire about them is their language. Because its similar to Iberian and Siracusan, I had little difficulty in learning it. It being my second language actually, since I was thought about it nearly every day in the Church.

The baby was handed over to the father who cradled her. Immediately, the baby stopped crying, and a calm atmosphere descended in the room.

"Deus creator, qui novam vitam nobis donasti, Benedicimus tibi propter donum tuum. Nunc oramus pro hac nova vita, Ut semper in via veritatis ambulet, Malum vitet, Et virtutem sequatur. Benedic eam, ut crescat in amore tuo, Et ut semper sit sub protectione tua. Amen." I quietly prayed.

...That was a bit hypocritical, no? I want her to live a best life, and not follow the footsteps of the person who delivered her.

Medics entered the room minutes after. Taking the wife and leading the new father to the ambulance.

I got out of the staff room, exhausted, and surprised to the fact that I successfully delivered a baby... and it's still raining, great. Though it's not as intense as before.

I followed the medics out and began smoking under the café's patio. Its around... six pm? Heh, that took time.

The feline guy walked up beside me.

"You did great there." He smiled, "You know, when my wife was birthing our first child, I was so nervous that I passed out when the doctors announced the successful delivery."

I nodded at him, "You love your family, don't you?"

"More than anything else. The name's Alfred, Alfred Cordell." He extends his hands for a handshake.

"... Val Lero." I shook his hands. Hah! Val Lero. What a stupid name, I was containing a laughter, here.

The husband walks up to us with a face full of gratitude and excitement, "Thank you both! You especially are a lifesaver! What are your names?" he asks.

"Val Lero."

"Alfred Cordell."

He smiled, "We both decided to name our daughter after the both of you. How's Vale Cordell Lettuze sound?" He asks with a genuine smile.

"It's perfect. I pray she grows up to be a strong girl." I return the smile, "now, excuse me."

I went to the toilet to wash my hands from delivering that baby. My clothes are all dirty too. And I'm fucking exhausted, I want to go home, yeah, to the hotel room.

Alfred joined me in washing hands. And I remembered something. Oh yeah. That.

"Hey Fred." I called out to him, "Come closer."

"What is it?" He asks as he comes closer.

Before I made his world go black.

------------------------

Dark enclosed room, Victoria//???? Hours.

"Wakey-wakey sleepyhead."

I said as I stood beside Alfred, who is strapped on to back to a wooden table, head tilted back. A bucket of water and cloth lay nearby.

Yeah, you know where this is going.

"Huh? Val? What are-" He stops before looking around, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" he shouts as he desperately tries to break the rope tying his arms and legs.

"It has come to my attention that you have written a certain article about me. And its not a good article." I said with a displeased voice.

"You... YOU'RE ALTER VALERO?!!? YOU'RE A MURDERER!!" He rages.

"Now, last time, I helped bring life to this world. You know?" I chuckled. I moved closer to him and bent down to his head, which is resting in a small pillow. See, I'm ethical.

"Why did you do it?! What are you trying to do?!"

I sigh, "You see, Alfred. I'll call you Fred." I sat on a chair backwards, "You're an aspiring journalist who thirst for criminal stories. And you like to investigate and sniff your nose where they don't belong. More importantly, the right call for you to do was when you discovered that I was in cahoots with the mafia, you should've reported this to the police and go along with your merry life. Raise your children, live up to a hundred years."

I paused, "But instead, you chose to willingly entangle yourself in a world you know nothing about. I know you were tipped by the Laterza's about me and the Carolina's about a deal we made. And in doing so, you've put a target on your back by the Carolina famiglia. And it's not just you. Your kids, your wife, your family and relatives, they will all be targeted."

I explained in a low, stern and serious voice. I can see Alfred already shaking, as his eyes stared at me.

"I have a simple request. For your safety, and your family's safety, do not publish that article. Tell your publisher that you changed your mind. Or alter that article into bashing a certain crime group, the Laterza's for example." I state.

"N- NO! I am a firm believer of free speech, and no amount of bribery, torture, and beatings will ever change my mind!" He shouts with full of disdain and desperation, as he moves around desperately in an attempt to break free.

"Well let's see how well you stand true to that." I stood up and approached him, moving to grab the clothing.

"W-What are you doing?!" He protests as he struggles to break free once again.

"Know something called water boarding?" I ask as I stuffed a cloth on his mouth and his face, not before seeing his horrified expression.

"MMMPPHHH!!! MPHHHPP!!! MFFFFPHH!!!" He said something incoherent. Probably not important anyways.

"Let's see how long you'll last." I state as I poured water slowly from the bucket.

"MMMMMPPPHHHH!!!!!" he yelled or attempted to yell, his body flailing about and rattling the table.

It's futile, though. The water continued pouring as he desperately breathes and drowns. Fortunately for him, the bucket emptied. Not to worry though, I still have gallons of them.

I took of the clothing that covered his face and his mouth. Immediately after, he gasped for air.

"Have you reconsidered?" I simply asked him.

"N-" I immediately gagged him up and water boarded him a second time. This time, much, much, more, slower than the last to make him panic, fear, and desperate. People's beliefs are like thin glass - easily shattered by the force of reality they're in. I chuckled.

"Are you ready to talk or do you want me to push a cloth into your face?" I ask as I put down the now empty bucket, "Not hearing any response here... nod your head if you want to talk."

"..."

Still no response huh? I know you're not dead.

"If you won't speak up, I will return your dead body to your family and watch as they break down into depression and agony. Leading to drug abuses, crime, and violence."

At this, he slowly nods.

"Great. See? We can cooperate." I moved over to get rid off the cloth covering his face and mouth, "So?"

"... I'll... I'll do it." He said in a defeated tone.

"Mhmm. Fact is, what you're doing is betraying the Laterza's. And luckily for you, I can protect you and your family from them." I lit a cigarette, "Catch is, of course, you work for me. As a mole In the VBC." Exhaled a thick cloud of smoke into his face.

"...Why?" he says, still with a weak voice.

"I want to be the first to know about events, not everything, but the ones that warrant a breaking news. How about it? I'll pay you. What's your yearly salary? Hmm? 80? 100K LMDs per year? I can pay you double." I chuckled, "It's not like you have a choice. It's either me, or the Laterzas. And we both know how cruel these mafias can be."

Alfred stares at me silently, probably thinking about my offer.

"Fine." He finally said in a bitter voice.

I smiled, "Good." I cut off one of the ropes with a sharp combat knife, the rope that straps his right hand, "Here's the knife, a pack of cigarettes and a lighter, and 10K LMD. Cash." I threw those things at the table and walked away.

"Oh, and if you went straight to the police after this. Let's just say you wouldn't see your family ever again." I warned him with a smile, "Adios~"

------------------------

A highway in Londonium//0900 hours//Three days later.

To be honest, it's kinda a shame things became this way.

First of all, on the day of the scheduled meeting with Leithanien about the Laterza necklace, Ursus special soldiers and Leithanien casters are fighting in the location. Mind you, the location was a warehouse near the outskirts of the city.

Two completely different groups each on the other side of the extreme spectrum, fighting for whoever gets to buy the necklace, like jeez guys, offer me more money why don't ya?

In the end, they both settled to "share" the necklace. How the fuck did they got to that agreement? I have no fucking idea.

Anyways, Ursus paid around 166 million LMD for the Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. While Leithanien paid 50 million LMD and a free pass for non-infected to enter their nation freely for the Gold and Amethyst.

Which leaves me with the base silver necklace without the gems.

I mean... I can probably sell this... but who would buy a silver necklace infused with originium, which may cause the person to be infected?

Unless it's a high purity silver which I forgot to check! Damn it.

Whatever, maybe I can melt it up and turn it into some sort of accessory? An accessory that has a chance to infect me. Normal shit.

Second of all. I'm glad that me and Alfred have come to an agreement! He complied in writing up a bullshit article slandering the Laterzas and in exchange, I keep him and his family safe.

I'm paying him around 200K LMD a year by the way, I'm a merciful master, a merciful person. Though I do technically own him, unless he can convince the Laterzas to leave him alone or forgive him, he's still in my pocket.

Will he be a good replacement to Aro, though?

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! HONK!

"Okay fine! I get it I'll move!" I shout.

Fuckers at the car behind me. Oh yeah, as usual, I'm STUCK IN TRAFFIC. I want to yell at someone so badly right now.

HONK! HONK!

"YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP!" I rolled down my window and shouted. To which I got more car beeping in response.

Fucking hell.

Whatever, I gotta clean my money first. And then I'll make something useful with that minigun. Which, fun fact, is named the GAU-8 Avenger Rotary cannon by the Apostolic knights! You learn something new every day don'tcha? I have plans in the works right now. And soon-

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! HONK! HONK! HONK!

"Oh for the love of- DO YOU PEOPLE HAVE PATIENCE!??!"

finis fabula

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27K 617 19
Killua and Gon find themselves in another universe without any idea on how to get back into their own world. They meet others, make new friends, but...
215K 7.7K 42
๐˜๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ด ๐˜ด๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฑ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ. ๐˜Œ๐˜บ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ. ๐˜”๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜ข๐˜จ๐˜ข๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ. ๐˜๐˜ต ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ด๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ง๐˜ข๐˜ฎ๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ข๐˜ณ. ๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๏ฟฝ...
407K 16.5K 42
After being spontaneously transported to the My Hero Academia world, (Y/n) finds herself becoming closer to the characters that live there. She quick...
748K 34.8K 200
First book of Grandeur Fantasia. Second book is Grandeur Fantasia 2. Leon Rivelia, the heir to the largest conglomerate company in the world, was sud...