When Last Night Didn't End

By Exequinne

๐Ÿ† THE AMBY AWARDS 2023 TOP PICK - DIVERSE LIT ๐Ÿ† It's Rin and Hye-jin against the world. Or so it should hav... More

When Last Night Didn't End
Quick Notes [DO NOT SKIP]
For Ana
ไธ€
Case No. 673-007โ–ˆโ–ˆ - CLASSIFIED
Act I: The Dawn
Episode 1: ๋งˆ์Œ์ด ์—†๋Š” ์ง‘์ด์—์š”
1.2
1.3
1.4
1.5
Epilogue: A Home Without a Heart
Episode 2: ็งใŸใกใŒๆŒใฃใฆใ„ใชใ‹ใฃใŸ้ธๆŠž่‚ข
2.2
2.3
2.4
2.5
2.6
2.7
Epilogue: The Choices We Didn't Have
Act II: The Clash
Episode 3: ๅ‹ใกๆ–นใจ่ฒ ใ‘ๆ–น
3.2
3.3
3.4
3.5
3.6
3.7
3.8
Epilogue: How to Win and Lose
Act III: The Cracks
Episode 4: ็งใŸใกใŒๅคฑใฃใŸใ‚‚ใฎ
4.2
4.3
4.4
4.5
Epilogue: What We Lost
Episode 5: ์ž˜๋ชป๋œ ์„ ํƒ๊ณผ ์˜ˆ์ƒ๋˜๋Š” ๊ฒฐ๊ณผ์ž…๋‹ˆ๋‹ค
5.2
5.3
5.4
5.5
5.6
Epilogue: Bad Choices and Expected Outcomes
Act IV: The Shards
Episode 6: ใƒ”ใƒผใ‚นใ‚’ๆ‹พใ†
6.2
6.3
6.4
6.5
Epilogue: Picking Up the Pieces
Episode 7:์šฐ๋ฆฌ๊ฐ€ ์‹œ๋„ํ•˜๋Š” ๊ฒƒ์„ ๋ฉˆ์ถ˜ ์‹œ๊ฐ„๋“ค์ž…๋‹ˆ๋‹ค
7.2
7.3
7.4
Epilogue: The Times We Stopped Trying
Act V: The Bridge
Episode 8: ์ด๊ฒƒ๋“ค์€ ๋„ˆ๋ฌด ๋ˆˆ์ด ๋จผ ๋ˆˆ๋“ค์ž…๋‹ˆ๋‹ค
8.2
8.3
8.4
8.5
Epilogue: Eyes That Are Too Blind
9.2
9.3
9.4
Epilogue: The Dark We Lived Through
Episode 10: ๅพŒๆ‚”ใจ้€ƒใ—ใŸใƒใƒฃใƒณใ‚น
10.2
10.3
10.4
Epilogue: Regrets and Missed Chances
Act VI: The Choice
Episode 11: ์šฐ๋ฆฌ๊ฐ€ ํ•˜๋Š” ๋‹ค๋ฅธ ๊ฒŒ์ž„๋“ค์š”
11.2
11.3
11.4
11.5
11.6
11.7
11.8
Epilogue: Other Games We Play
Episode 12: ๅฒ่ทฏใจๅธฐใ‚‰ใฌๅ ดๆ‰€
12.2
12.3
12.4
12.5
12.6
12.7
12.8
12.9
Epilogue: Crossroads and Points of No Return
Postlude
Story Time & Acknowledgements
AstraSolar Studios Developers Manual
Playlist
How to Play Katsai-da
Achievements
Start of Back Advertisements
More Series from Exequinne
More Standalones from Exequinne
More Quick Reads from Exequinne

Episode 9: ์šฐ๋ฆฌ๊ฐ€ ์‚ด์•˜๋˜ ์–ด๋‘ ์ž…๋‹ˆ๋‹ค

14 3 46
By Exequinne

Hye-jin hurried through the house, her phone in hand. She punched the code as fast as her shaking fingers could. The lock chimed and the door swung open. Without kicking her shoes off, she dashed inside. It's dark. It always was.

She rushed past the living room and threw the guest room's door open. The usual spot where her mother-in-law usually sat was empty. Where would...? She gripped the door frame to haul herself off the room. The plastic rings clinked against the rod when she yanked the curtains open. Her eyes ran across the roads, cars and people whizzing by at varying speeds. The colors, the crowds...

There's no way she could pick up where her mother-in-law went from here. Shit.

The sound of an infant wailing caught her attention. That's why she was here in the first place. She got a call from the neighboring room about the noise. When she got to the crib, her heart almost stopped. The rancid smell of vomit hit her nose. What...

"Oh, God," she picked the baby up and began rocking him, just to get him to shut up. Bright yellow stains trailed down his bib and clothes. There's some on the quilt as well. What happened? He was fine before she left. She padded to the table where his supplies were and plucked a couple of paper towels. She began dabbing it to clean his face.

"It's fine. You're going to be fine," she whispered—more to herself than the baby. "You're going to be fine."

The baby answered by hurling more of his lunch. Straight into her clothes and face. Something's wrong. She touched his forehead. Hot. Way hotter than he usually was. A fever? Rin. She had to call him. Maybe get him to rush his brother to the ER. Weren't babies with fever a dangerous case?

She palmed her phone on the way to the door. With one hand, she tapped away until the call to Rin's number was underway. Then, she put it on speaker and moved to give the baby some fluid. Something. Anything.

As she dribbled water into his mouth, the call went straight into voicemail, telling her to leave a message after the beep. She wouldn't. She needed Rin now.

She cut the call and tried again. Voicemail. Again. Voicemail.

Again.

Voicemail.

"Damn it, Rin," she screamed at the ceiling. "Fucking pick up!"

She tried again.

Voicemail.

She rocked the baby again. Her phone lit up with an incoming call. She couldn't have snatched it farther from the counter. "Hello?" she rasped into the phone. "Why aren't you picking up?"

It was her father instead. "Hye-jin-ah," he said. His voice was thicker than usual. What's going on? "Eomma-ga..."

Her phone slipped from her hand, falling to the floor with a hearty clatter. The sound startled the baby and he began crying again. She might as well join him. Because her father's words still rang in her ears, bouncing across the chambers of her mind until it became true.

Your mother is gone.

"Hye-jin-ah?" her father's voice croaked through the speaker, muffled by the oppressing silence of the house. She crouched and retrieved her phone, placing it again by her ear. She caught her father in the middle of saying something. "...plan her funeral. Can you come?"

She couldn't speak, even when she fought so hard to. Her father, unable to tell if she was still on the other side, told her he's going to hang up. Within a second, the dull beeps of a call that ended blared in her ears.

Her chest heaved and her world spun. Her hands shook as she slipped more water into the baby's mouth. Medicine. Milk. Maybe he needed food? How long was it since he last vomited? How...

Her insides tightened and tears slipped down her cheeks, her eyes unable to contain them anymore. Rin. Where was he?

She looked around for her phone again. Dialed Rin's number. Heard the monotone stretch on forever. An eternity of rings passed. Two.

Nothing.

Wiping her cheeks with the back of her hand, she tried the next best thing. The front desk of his company. This counted as an emergency, right? They'd surely allow him to have a day-off. She clicked the number saved on her phone and watched it stretch directly into the call. It rang once.

"Thank you for calling frontdesk. How can I help you?"

Hye-jin opened her mouth and forced words to form. "H-hello, is Rin there?"

The frontdesk lady, with her characteristic placid tone, perked right up. "Can you repeat that, ma'am?"

"Nagara Rin," Hye-jin said. "Is he still inside? Please tell him to come home. Quickly. There's an emergency."

"Alright, ma'am. Can you please hold?" the frontdesk lady said. Hye-jin was about to reply when the other side was replaced by a horrid blast of elevator music. She sniffed and tried cleaning herself up while making sure Rin's brother was still being hydrated. A few minutes, the music halted and the frontdesk lady returned. "As for Nagara Rin, I am told he has already left the building."

"What time did he leave?" Hye-jin leaned over the counter, expecting RIn to walk in like he was summoned forth. "He's still not here."

The frontdesk lady hummed. "Let me check," the sound of papers rustling and keyboard keys clacking grated on the other side. "According to our logs, he left with Karla Ashley at around 6:30 in the evening. Ma'am?"

Hye-jin had pressed her hand to her mouth to muffle the oncoming sobs. "I'm fine," she said. Why was she even crying about that? "Go on. Where did they go? Why is he going with his boss?"

"There is no sales department huddle scheduled today," the voice answered. "I could only assume he went to the Ashley residence as he had been doing for the past year. But I could be wr—"

"That's enough. Thank you," Hye-jin interjected and slammed her finger on the disconnect button. The past year. That woman's house. Rin in another woman's house while his wife was alone in his. Rin...

Maybe she was jumping into conclusions only to torment herself. Maybe it's not true. Let her call him one last time. Perhaps he'd answer. She had been calling him for the past hour.

She dialed his number and placed her phone near her ear. After a few rings, it connected with a click. Finally. "Rin, I—"

"Hello?" a woman answered. A voice Hye-jin heard only once, belonging to a face she wouldn't ever want to see in her mind. Karla Ashley. That woman.

A whimper escaped Hye-jin's lips as she threw her phone away like it was boiling. Her chest heaved as her breaths came in erratic beats. Her vision tunneled, her heart feeling like it was being squeezed for every last drop of blood.

"How could you..." the words bled off her lips. She clawed at her chest, fighting to still the budding storm in her heart. A sob shook her shoulders. Then another. And another. What was she afraid of? What was she supposed to fear now that everything was gone?

A torrent crashed over her, sending her to the floor. Her legs refused to carry her anymore. She held the baby in her arms, pressing his face against her shoulders, clinging to him like he's the last of her hope and not the cause of her misery. Then, she wailed.

Her cries scratched at her throat, at the walls closing in on her. The house was darker than ever, the pictures on the walls losing their colors this fast. The cold. It was cold—like a thousand winters came at a moment's notice. No matter how many times she wiped at her tears, they were easily replaced. Then and there, she heard a sound louder than the thickening silence around her.

It was the sound of her heart breaking into a thousand pieces. They were the words she whispered over and over. How could you?

How could you leave me alone like this?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

745K 33.4K 41
Pirate captain Dream is captured by the king, in order to be pardoned, he and his crew must set sail on an almost impossible mission, to secure a mer...
1.7M 103K 40
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...
949K 68.4K 80
โ– QUEENKILLER, KINGMAKER Book 1 โ– Feudal Southeast-Asia filled with magic, daemons, and a royal conspiracy. This is Isla's quest for the truth, and h...
154K 9K 17
Recovering alcoholic Sam isn't quite ready to let go of his failing marriage. Gord gave up his dream to care for his dying father, and now he's trapp...