A Protective Light In The Dar...

By betheyes

A darkness comes to Emerald Hills intending on getting revenge on the ones who defeated them! A small hoglet... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28 - The End
Chapte 29 - Bonus Chapter

Chapter 26

35 2 0
By betheyes

Mighty's eyes were blown open as he connected with startled yellow ones. Griffin giggled as all the crystals in the room exploded with colour. 

Violet let out a startled gasp as a figure appeared out of a portal. The hood of the figure dropped revealing a chameleon who was a mix of pink and orange. She was a salmon colour. Mighty was shocked, Griffin only smacked the coffin where two golden eyes snapped open and the room glowed with intense colours. 

"Mother!" Violet gasped out as she lifted Griffin off the glass just as the coffin opened and a certain chameleon sat up. On his wrists were very familiar inhibitor rings. 

"Espio?" 

"M-ighty?" 

Soon enough Espio found himself lifted out of the coffin and into the arms of his lovers, Mighty pulled him close hugging him tightly until a giggle split them apart. 

Espio turned to see not only two of his children but one he thought he had lost. He was quick to take Griffin into his arms, his little armadillo snuggling close. 

"Crystal?"

"Hey V" 

Espio was in shock, he watched with confused eyes as the one he lost was pulled into a tight hug by her older sister. Mighty wrapped an arm around his waist in disbelief especially when the two sisters turned to them all. Griffin only played with his feet, Espio felt pain radiate through his chest which was mirrored as Crystal fell to her knees. 

"The Darkness!" Crystal cried out looking past Mighty to see Shadow had made another appearance. Espio frowned, turning around only to gasp, the pain intensified sending him crashing to his knees. Mighty grabbed him, Griffin was quickly taken from him as Shadow appeared in front of them all. 

Placing a hand to Espio's head and Crystals once she had moved over. Shadows' eyes glowed white as the light power given to him was used for its purpose. 

Mighty with Violet and Griffin watched from the side as white light left Shadow entering both Espio's and Crystal's bodies. After a few minutes, Shadows' eyes turned back to their normal red and he stumbled back into the coffin. Mighty grabbed him to steady him, Shadow nodded sitting against the wall of the coffin to try and get his breathing under control. 

"Mother?" 

"I'm alright…Crystal?" 

Crystal looked up in shock, she latched onto Espio who smiled hugging her tightly to his chest. She then let go allowing Violet time to hug her mother and whisper apologies with Mighty now wrapping an arm around all of his family including Griffin who was in a sling across Espio's chest. 

"What do we do about the coffin?" Violet asked, turning to Espio who frowned down at the coffin which had caused mayhem in his family. 

"I will deal with it, get yourselves back to Emerald Hills. Infinite has returned, Shade needs your help" Shadow spoke up from where he was leaning against the coffin taking deep breaths. 

"Shadow, you understand what must happen?" Espio handed over very familiar gold rings.

"I do, Espio. Go" 

"Mother?" Crystal turned to Espio who smiled. "What is going on?" Violet said. 

"This place must not exist which means…." 

"Shadow must destroy it" Mighty finished for his partner who could only smile. Watching the way Shadow clicked all four inhibitor rings onto his body. Never in his life did he have to put the shoe ones on but it would seem life liked to surprise him. 

Espio turned to nod at Shadow when the Ultimate Lifeform threw a small gem at Espio who caught it. Espio used his powers and the next thing they knew. All five of them had been transported to another destination. 

"Espio? Where are we?" Mighty asked, taking Griffin from his partner just as the doors to the room exploded revealing what was left of the Shinobi Clan.

"Prince Espionage! You are alive!" A chameleon in purple shouted out. Espio could only nod as he waved his hand, his chain and several weapons that were missing appeared on his body. Mighty was in shock as purple and pink chameleons appeared out of the blue. Violet looked around at her once home only to see it in shambles. Some young chameleons ran around graves to meet some members of the clan. 

Espio blinked back tears as he took notice of what was left of the clan, a hand settled on his shoulder. Looking back he saw the shimmering figure of his mother who nodded. 

"Shinobi Clan, I have no right to ask this but will you join me in one last fight against the Navade Clan? Any of you or I who fall will join the loved ones in the crystals of our clan. This is not the end and I will not allow the Shinobi Clan to lose anymore of its members. I will continue to protect this clan from afar and make sure all of you make it home to your loved ones. My name is Prince Claudius Espionage Vigil, my mother was the bride. Yes, she went against many rules but I was given a gift which I will use now to prove my point. I am the god of light in this realm and I give you all this…" 

Espio glowed white throwing his powers at many of the fallen who rose from their graves reuniting with their children, family and friends.

"Anyone who wants to leave after this, is welcome to. The old ways are done. The Shinobi Clan are protectors, we will continue to be them. I, as your leader, am not forcing you into battle but I do ask anyone who is staying behind to watch over the children. Will take my son, he is far too young to see blood shed. No matter what you choose, it's your choice and in the end you make it, even if I do not agree with it. This your life…" Espio cut himself off as Griffin reached for him.

Espio took Griffin without a second thought and headed down for the chameleons who looked after the young. Mighty watched with careful eyes as he knew this was an act of leadership in the clan. If one couldn't be trusted with another's child, there wasn't good trust and that was majorly important in the Shinobi Clan. 

The chameleon on instinct took the young prince, "He will be protected my prince" Espio could only nod, "But, he does not need to be treated differently, my child is much like you own. I do ask one thing, don't let him near any crystals that are not his" the chameleon nodded, "My prince…" "It's Espio. Please use my name" the elder chameleon could only nod, "Espio, it would seem that your son doesn't have one". Espio could only nod, "I know, when he turns one. I will make sure to get him one, there has been a delay" Espio said with a smile, he then said his goodbyes before walking back over to Mighty only for his eyes to glow gold. Mighty quickly moved towards him when his eyes flickered to white then back to gold.

By the time, Mighty arrived at his side. Espio was back to his normal self. "You alright?" Espio could only nod, opening a portal to Emerald Hills. "I'm ready are you?" Espio said in a teasing tone, Mighty could only nod. Violet and Crystal turned to each other as both their crystals appeared around their necks in a necklace chain. Espio smiled at their shocked gasps. Violet’s was orange while Crystal’s was pink. Mighty smirked at his kids' confusion until he found his own. 

"Mighty, will you do the honour by wearing my colour?" 

Mighty turned to see Espio holding a chain up, it was a golden crystal. Mighty could do nothing but smile and nod. Espio smirked, gently placing the necklace around his partner's neck. He later kissed Mighty's lips, the armadillo smirked, moving over to hold Espio's side. The two then stood in front of many of the clan with their hands linked and holding one another.

A grey chameleon walked up the steps to come in front of them, "My prince, we have come to a decision. We have rejected your proposal to bring the clan into the light due to the rules your mother broke and we ask you to make a decision…to choose between your family and the clan" the elder chameleon spoke up. Espio could only nod, he then proceeded to walk down the stairs towards his son who was playing with his feet. Mighty watched from afar keeping a very close eye on his husband. 

"I will choose when the time comes but I must say, I am not surprised that this is your decision despite everything my mother has done for this clan and I the same. I must appoint a new clan heir due to the fact my son is too young to take over. So I must appoint a new one" 

All eyes widened as Espio spoke, "Which will come through with training, this said individual will need to be trained which means I have six months left of being the clan leader. If by that point you still want me to choose, I ask you this. Would you choose between your newborn who is your hope to a new colony or to a clan stuck in centuries old rules?" 

"My prince? Please, do not take drastic measures" the elder said, with several others nodding along. 

"I have made my decision, the new heir to the clan leader will be Shayla Silas" 

All heads turned to Shayla, the princes second in command, the leader of the first line of defence to the Shinobi Clan.

"My prince! That is against the rules!"

"Nothing is against the rules! There is no law that she can not be clan leader. My mother certainly proved that so by her name, our leaders beforehand…Shayla Silas will be the next clan leader in the appointment of the four crowns to the Shinobi Clan. As stated on this day by Prince Claudius Espionage of the Shinobi Clan origins of the Navade Clan. Shayla Silas is the new hope to the dawn of the Clan!" Espio spoke calmly despite his hand twisting into a fist behind his back. "AM I CLEAR!" 

All heads started to nod. Shayla smiled in thanks as she bowed before him. Espio could only nod, reopening the portal and moving to enter it. 

"My prince, we will discuss the options and wait on your decision by return" Espio could only nod as Mighty, Violet and Crystal joined him through the portal. Shayla turned to the small armadillo in her arms, Griffin was clapping up at her. 

Elsewhere…

Sonic was furious, how dare this mobian enter his kingdom and demand a seat to the throne. He blasted more of his power at the jackal, Infinite was struggling holding the powers back from the hyper Sonic, Shade and Silver.

The other freedom fighters had managed to take care of all of Eggman's machines and were currently still fighting the Navade Clan. 

"Dad! I don't know how long I can keep this up!" Silver cried out, his arms were in pain. Blaze had already sent him more energy twice, the cat had to return to the palace with Dash and Rose who left out of pure exhaustion.

"Keep going! I've sent a message to our mother!" Shade cried out pressing forward. 

"How!" Silver cried out.

"Our bonds weren't shattered, they were put aside until mother could access his lighter side! I can feel him!" Shade shouted, falling back slightly. Sonic gritted his teeth taking the brunt of the power. 

"Dad! Be careful!" Silver yelled at him, Sonic could only nod as his hyper form took the brunt of the power. The chaos emeralds around them were glowing even brighter. 

"GUYS BACK OFF! YOUR HURTING YOURSELVES!" Knuckles shouted using Omega as a perch to knock some chameleons back. Rouge smirked doing a tornado kick beside Manic and Sonia who fought with all their strength. 

Sonic gritted his teeth as Shade fell from the sky landing in a heap followed by Silver who was caught at the last minute by Blaze. 

Amy and Knuckles rushed over to Shades' side as Sonic cried out, golden power flew in all directions as Sonic fought with all his might. All his energy was depleted as his body fell. 

Infinite laughed unaware of what it actually meant. With some speed Kaze ran using his powers to catch his son. Sonic nodded in thanks from his place in his father's arms. 

Infinite strided forward in the direction of them, only for a portal to appear in front of all the freedom fighters and for four individuals to appear. All four of them were hooded. 

"Who are you?" Infinite questioned only for him to take a step back as three of them revealed to be Mighty, Violet and Crystal while the one in the front took a step forward removing their hood to reveal his son. 

"NO!" Infinite roared creating a blade of somesort, he made a hand signal making many navy chameleons to appear. Espio could only smile, flicking his wrist only for Mephiles and Arlo to step out of one portal. 

"Let's end this" Espio ignored the words coming from Arlo as he readied himself. This would be a fight to the death and Espio would be breaking several rules in doing so. 

"Arlo and Claudius. I am so disappointed in you two, to think that I should have kept your sister alive and killed my son. At least, she would have listened, on command" Infinite glared as he spoke.  

"Enough! Talk! Let's end this!" Arlo yelled only for Espio to hold a hand up stopping all movement on the battlefield. The prince took a step forward creating more separation from the freedom fighters side. 

"Espio?" 

The chameleon ignored his name being called as he pulled out a very rare gem. 

"No! What do you want!" Infinite asked, seeing the gem. All of them could see the fear in the Jackal's body language. 

"You have to leave but I know that will never happen which is why I challenge you for leadership of a disbanding of the clan of the loser" Espio spoke clearly, Violet and Crystal shared a look with Mighty who shrugged. They had inside information. 

"My son, as much as I would like to accept that. I know that the clan leader must be present and your mother last I checked is dead…" Infinite was cut off when he noticed Espio's chain. He growled, "I accept, If I lose, I will leave for good on clan word and if you lose, I want the kingdom plus Emerald Hills to comply by my rules" Infinite said with a smile. 

Espio turned to see all the freedom fighters shaking their heads, except Mighty who nodded having full trust in his partner.

"I accept" 

Infinite could only smirk, this would be easy. All clan members backed away creating a circle with the freedom fighters opposite them surrounding the two fighters. Espio ignored the smug look on his father's face and amongst the Navade Clan. He remained standing still as his father stalked around his body. 

Infinite had enough of his son's games as he lunged for Espio only for his son to summon his katanas making a clunking noise when the two metals came together. 

Espio rolled out of the way only to meet the eyes of Kaze who nodded at him, the chameleon then flipped out of the way kicking Infinite in the back of the head. Espio created an invisible shield around the two protecting those outside and to stop anyone from interfering. 

The two continued to battle until they were both bleeding and raw. Infinite growled when Espio remained standing and yet he was exhausted. Espio sheathed his weapons when Infinite used his powers to lift his son off his feet only to regret it as Espio vanished in front of them all. Infinite looked around trying to catch his son's signature only to be knocked from the sky by a shuriken that sliced through his mask and Espio appeared standing in front of him looking extremely bored. 

"Give up yet?" Vector called out, Espio remained impassive especially when Infinite lunged for him only to meet the dirt a second time.

"Just! How! Are you this powerful!" 

"I don't know what you're talking about" Espio said, looking towards Mighty who smiled at him, it was almost time. 

"No one should have as much power as you have but me!" Infinite roared creating a black orb, Espio could only shake his head. 

"You should have crumbled to the ground. I took your sister, your brother, your uncle, your best-friend, your life and your second-born and your mother from you!" Infinite yelled at him, Espio ignored him crossing his arms in a very familiar position. Infinite suddenly gasped when Espio flickered in front of him revealing another figure. 

"And yet he grew stronger! Becoming much better at illusions than I ever was" Shadow suddenly appeared in front of Infinite having been a disguise of Espio for a little while.

"Wait! How! Where is he?!" Infinite roared out in fury twisting around for his son only for words to haunt him. 

"I've been here this whole time" 

Infinite whipped around to face Shadow only to let out a startled gasp as a blade went straight through his chest burning his insides from the poison coated on it. 

His red eyes came in contact with golden ones full of determination, "Yes, I may have lost a lot of things over all these years but at least I didn't let the darkness consume me and go after one sole thing: Revenge. I do hope you enjoy your eternal hell, Infinite" Espio spoke in a dark cold tone, he pulled the dagger out only for his skin to turn navy. Espio smirked, taking a step forward, his symbol glowed on his shoulder as Infinite took his last breath. 

"Shadow?" 

The Ultimate Lifeform ignored the chill in the air from Espio's navy side, as he created a chaos flame and lit Infinites body on fire. The shield stayed up until the body was nothing but ash. 

When the shield shattered Arlo found himself standing opposite his brother, Espio's skin returned back to its fuschia colour. Espio nodded towards Arlo as the Navade Clan looked confused on what to do when Espio turned to address them all, "I Prince Espionage of the Shinobi Clan ask that you leave Emerald Hills with Arlo and Mephiles to start a new life. If any of you find yourselves in Emerald Hills, I will go beyond our laws and you will meet the same death as Infinite. You are not welcome here, under the Shinobi's clan rule. The Navade Clan are now sworn enemies" Espio exclaimed, the Navade Clan second in command could only nod sending deep apologies before disappearing into the portal courtesy of Mephiles with the rest following. 

"I'm sorry Espio, I really am. If I had known all those years ago, she would have still been alive" Arlo muttered, Espio could only mumble something back leading to Arlo leaving and Espio sighing looking down at his hands. He frowned. 

"Mother?" Espio turned to face Violet who gestured over his shoulder where a pink chameleon appeared holding something from within her arms. 

"Espio, a word" Shayla said, passing Griffin to Mighty who took him, leaving Espio to speak in private to Shayla a few feet away from them. 

Sonic couldn't help but scold Shadow for scaring him. The ultimate lifeform didn't say anything as he leaned further into his partner's arms. Kaze smirked at them while Shadow whispered that he was proud of all his kids including Rose who smiled, she hugged his side. Shadow winked at Amy who nodded with pride in her features. 

The chaotix watched from afar as their team member looked to be arguing with some other chameleon. Mighty grit his teeth when the female slapped Espio, the ninja didn't move or say anything back instead he removed the clan leader chain from around his neck taking his own gem out of it and handing it over to Shayla who glared at him. Espio only crossed his arms looking off to the side while Shayla continued to yell at him. She was furious with him for unknown reasons, she went to aim for him again when someone appeared in front of him.

A glowing figure revealed to be the Bride of Vigil, Espio had been brought up never to hit females so he wouldn't dare lay a hand on a female. 

"Now dearest, enough of that attitude. It is not Espio's fault, if you want to blame anyone. Blame me. Espio was my sole choice, I chose to make him my heir not because he was my son but because he had the leadership skills and a pure heart for the job. He has chosen you because of the same things, due to your caring nature. Espio believes you will make an excellent leader. Now, I ask that you leave him and his family alone otherwise I will send the spirits to haunt the clan again!" The bride threatened, Shayla could only nod, accepting Espio's chain and disappearing into a portal. 

"Oh, my dear boy. I'm so sorry, it was never meant to be like this…" she placed a ghostly hand against his cheek, "It will all work out, my son. Now do me a favour, go see that cuddly angry teddy bear and hug him until you feel the need to let go. I love you my son, you will find your purpose someday but I believe you already have" The bridge pressed a kiss to his forehead before she disappeared into the light. 

Espio could only sigh, feeling the sting from the slaps. A hand came to rest on the side of his face that didn't hurt. 

“I’ve got you” Mighty’s soothing voice only led to him being wrapped up in a tight hug. Espio only clung to him as small sobs left his frame. Violet and Crystal turned to hide his body while Griffin played with his feet in Violet’s arms. 

Knuckles was in shock at the salmon chameleon standing in front of him. She introduced herself as Crystal. None of the freedom fighters realised what peace had cost a certain chameleon who clung to Mighty, the armadillo holding his mate close.

Stay Tuned! This book is ending soon! Only a few more chapters to go! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.6K 951 10
You aren't sure who you are. Team Sonic takes you in after sort of being responsible, but you can't shake the feeling you aren't supposed to be there...
5.9K 165 32
After Graduation it's time for Princess Blaze to head back to her home dimension. Even though she has made plenty of friends it seems that a few has...
30.2K 1.1K 13
When Metal is sent on a mission to steal two chaos emeralds from Shadow and Sonic, he's not expecting them to use the power of them against him. Even...
2.6K 166 19
(only on Wattpad) Hey I just wanted to say that this was my first ever book which means it has a very special place in my heart, it may not be the be...