The Witch's Destiny || Thrand...

By -aestheteyouth

Violet Potter has been at war for her entire life. It all started almost 27 years ago when Voldemort killed h... More

Cast
DISCLAIMER
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII

Chapter V

3.9K 123 60
By -aestheteyouth

"Our business is no concern of elves," Thorin said, quite perturbed and angry with the situation at hand. Thorin, Violet, Balin, Bilbo, Lord Elrond, and Gandalf were all standing in the sitting area outside of Elrond's chambers. Flufflepuff was sitting on the woman's neck, watching everyone around him curiously.

"For goodness sake, Thorin! Show him the map," said Gandalf.

"It is the legacy of my people. It is mine to protect, as are its secrets."

"Save me from the stubbornness of dwarves! Your pride will be your downfall. You stand here in the presence of one of the few in Middle-Earth who can read that map. Show it to Lord Elrond!"

Thorin and Lord Elrond stare each other down, and the dwarf king reluctantly dug the map out of his breast pocket. Balin tried to stop him, but Thorin shoved his hand against Balin's chest, having made his decision. He handed it to the elf, who took it gently, to show he means no harm. The dwarves kept a watchful eye over the map as Elrond read it.

"Erebor? What is your interest in this map?" Lord Elrond asked. It seemed as if Violet was wrong earlier, he didn't know. He only knew about her, and her own mission. Foresight was a strange gift, for while it gave you snippets and an idea of what was meant to happen, it didn't give the whole picture.

Even though Lord Elrond was looking at Thorin, it was Gandalf who answered, "It's mainly academic. As you know, this sort of artifact sometimes contains hidden text." The elf turned around, giving Gandalf the chance to look at Thorin. They exchanged a look of understanding and for that, Thorin was grateful. Gandalf spoke again, "You still read ancient dwarvish, do you not?"

"Cirth ithil."

"Moon runes? Of course! An easy thing to miss."

"Well, in this case, that is true," Lord Elrond said, "Moon runes can only be read by the light of a moon of the same shape and season as the day on which they were written."

"Can you read them?" asked Thorin, as the elf turned to face him again. Instead of answering, the elven lord walked onto a rock balcony of sorts, placing the paper onto a large crystalline table. The rest of the group followed, eager to hear what the lord had to say. Waterfalls roared in front, but they were far enough in front that no water splashed onto the deck.

"These runes were written on a late spring's eve, by the light of a crescent moon nearly two hundred years ago. It would seem you were meant to come to Rivendell," Lord Elrond said, facing the dwarf king, "Fate is with you, Thorin Oakenshield. The same moon shines upon us tonight." The moonlight fell upon the map, revealing magical text that came to life. They glowed a beautiful vibrant blue. Everybody stopped and stared at the glory of it. "'Stand by the gray stone when the thrush knocks and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the key-hole'."

"Durin's Day?" questioned Bilbo.

Gandalf turned to him. "It is the start of the dwarves' New Year. When the last moon of autumn and the first sun of winter appear in the sky together."

"You have time, but you will need to move faster, Thorin. Averaging the small lengths of distance we've been managing so far will no longer do," Violet said for the first time, "It is not a short ways away, and there's a lot of ground to cover."

"We have to be standing in exactly the right spot, at exactly the right time. Then, and only then, can the door be opened," spoke Balin.

"So, this is your purpose," said Lord Elrond, "To enter the mountain?"

"What of it?" asked Thorin in a harsh tone of voice. The Lord of Rivendell handed the map back to him.

"There are some who would not deem it wise."

"What do you mean?" asked Gandalf.

"You are not the only guardian to stand watch over Middle-Earth," said Lord Elrond as he left the balcony. Violet followed him, picking up her skirts to run. She felt Flufflepuff dig his claws into her neck so he wouldn't fall, but she didn't care.

"My lord!" she called. The Elven-lord had made it to the hallway before she caught up. He stopped and turned around to face her. "You said you knew what Mithrandir called me here for. If that's true, then you know Erebor has to be involved."

"Elrond is fine, Miss Potter," he said, holding up a hand. He continued to walk down the hallway and so she followed. "And I never said I did not deem it wise. I said some. That is what worries me. Other guardians will have no qualms trying to hold you or Thorin back."

"Then, please, call me Violet. Elrond, I don't know everything about your world. I don't know about every one of its inhabitants. I don't know about the differing opinions of everybody. But what I do know is Sauron is back, and I know a thing or two about dark lords. They're smart, extremely intelligent, and know how to rise in secret. However, they're also arrogant. I don't know how to kill Sauron, but the more I learn, the more plans I have on how to at least hold him back until we can kill him. Please, I promised Mithrandir I would help. Convince the other guardians, or at least keep it a secret."

"The One Ring," he said, "Sauron's power all lies in one ring. The problem is, there are hundreds of magical rings in Middle-Earth and Sauron's has been lost for almost three-thousand years, ever since Isildur refused to destroy it and instead take it for his own. It will conceal itself from us until it's Master calls it home. Even so, there's a great chance he'll never get it back or return to his full power, like Gandalf believes."

"Sauron is not very different than the dark lord I fought. Most like to call him He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named or Voldemort, but I like to call him by his true name: Tom Riddle. He doesn't deserve to be called by a powerful name. For eleven years, nobody believed he would ever come back to haunt Earth again. However, all he was doing was biding time. The year my brother and I got to Hogwarts, he tried attacking him. He did this every year for six years following. My brother and I never even got to finish our schooling because that last year he was on the run looking for magical objects that had Riddle's life force in them with two of our friends, while Legolas and I did the same while also looking for allies in different corners of the world. Why is it so far-fetched that Sauron may be doing the same right under your nose?"

Elrond sighed. "It's not. As I said, I've been having visions of your quests for plenty of years now, but that doesn't mean I wish it weren't true. You will never get Saruman to agree, however."

Gandalf found them then and Thorin, Bilbo, and Balin slipped past them to find the rest of the company. "So, we do not tell him."

"That is a dangerous thing to do, Gandalf," said Elrond.

"It is more terrifying to let Sauron continue to grow unchecked."

"Very well," said Elrond, "I will agree, but I do not approve... So if it comes down to it, I was not involved."

"Deal." Gandalf held a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. "Violet, my dear girl, go find the rest of the company. I'll be with you shortly. Find them quickly and keep away from the eyes of Saruman."

She nodded and gave a smile to Elrond, before walking away in the same direction the three went earlier. She heard the men whispering behind her, but the further they got, the quieter it became until she could no longer hear them. She walked around for thirty minutes, continuously feeling like she was going in circles. Finally, she stumbled upon Lúthadis, who was peering around a corner. Violet came up beside her and found she was watching the dwarves, who were quietly packing their things. Well, at quiet as dwarves could be.

"They're rather nice, when they are not focused on my elvish status. Lindir is not as fond of them," said Lúthadis, giving a smile to the girl beside her, "I should probably tell Lord Elrond they're leaving, but I have a feeling Mithrandir orchestrated this."

"I would have to agree with you," said Violet. She looked at her friends and felt sad. She would miss them, but she knew she would see them again. "I think I'm going to go say goodbye." -- she walked out from around the corner -- "You lot didn't think you could leave without a goodbye hug, did you?"

"Truth be told, friend, we were beginning to worry we would," Thorin said. They gave each other a smile, before the dwarves rushed forward, wrapping her in a group hug. She bent down to give them all a better hug, and willed the tears not to fall until after they left. She had only known them for a month, but they hadn't been apart in that month and Violet was a creature who loved easily. It was what enabled her and Legolas to be friends so easily, as they shared that similarity, once you got past his walls.

"Try not to get chased by orcs again, will you?"

"No promises, Violet ," Bofur said with a cheeky grin, "Truth be told, I'm more worried about the dragon. Furnace with wings, remember?"

He nudged Bilbo with his elbow, who looked queasy at the reminder at what lay at the end of their path. Violet rolled her eyes and laughed, telling Bilbo he would be fine. 

"Why aren't you coming with us?" Bilbo asked.

"Mithrandir has other things he needs me to do to ensure your quest runs smoothly," she said. Bilbo went to ask another question. "Don't ask questions you don't truly want the answers to, Master Baggins."

He nodded, hanging his head. She gave the hobbit one last hug, before hugging everyone else. At the end it was Bombur who stepped forward.

"We will meet again, my friend," she said, placing her hand on his cheek, "Soon enough, you'll be escorting me into Erebor and you all can show me what a dwarvish feast is like."

Bombur nodded. "Aye, I'm excited for that, lass."

She placed a kiss on his head, and sent them all on their way before they got caught. Once they were far enough away, she took a shaky breath in.

"Do not be afraid, young Violet Potter," said a voice in her head, "For you will meet them again, sooner than you think." She looked around, trying to find the source of the voice. "We will meet shortly, but for now, have Lúthadis escort you to your rooms before Saruman finds you."

And so she listened, knowing Gandalf's explicit instructions were to not get caught by the one they call Saruman. She told Lúthadis about the voice on the way to her rooms, and she found the elf was surprised.

"The only woman I know who can talk inside people's minds is the mother of Lord Elrond's late wife: the Lady Galadriel. I did not realize she was here," Lúthadis said, furrowing her brows.

"She probably only just arrived, my lady," said Violet. Lúthadis nodded and when they got to the witch's room, she was invited in. They sat on the bed, talking to each other and getting to know one another. Lúthadis was a very sweet woman, who held wisdom in her eyes that meant she had seen many ages. The elf did mention she and Lindir had already been wed for five hundred years, so from what Violet understood, that meant she was at least six hundred years old. When the Lúthadis noticed the witch beginning to nod off, she left, telling the woman that she would let Gandalf know she was sleeping.

Violet tried to protest, as there were too many things to attend to, but the softness of the sheets, the sounds of the waterfalls, the cool night spring air floating through, and Flufflepuff curled soundly in her neck was too much. When she awoke in the morning, it was barely dawn out. She was grateful to have woken up so early, as she really needed to get a move on to Mirkwood. She got out of bed and looked out the window, admiring the view of Rivendell. She heeded Gandalf's warning of not leaving her room, for she didn't know if Saruman still lingered in Rivendell.

A maid brought a breakfast platter by with an assortment of fruits, cheeses, and breads. She even brought a breakfast tea by, which was a pleasant surprise for Violet, who hadn't had tea since she left Bilbo's house. When she was done with her breakfast, she cleaned herself up, and this time put on leggings and a t-shirt. A knock came to the door shortly after.

"Violet, are you awake?" Gandalf called quietly. She walked over to the door and opened it. "May we come in? We have things to discuss."

She nodded, and they all came in. Elrond looked at her strange choice of clothing and quirked a brow up. She blushed.

"I'm sorry, Lord Elrond," she said, "It was all I had. My tunic is quite dirty."

"'Tis not a problem." He smiled. "I am old enough to realize that Middle-Earth and Earth have different fashion trends." She smiled back at him and led them over to a small sitting area on the right side of her room. On one bench sat Lady Galadriel and Elrond, while herself and Gandalf sat on another.

"Saruman is a rather timid creature when it comes to Sauron," said Lady Galadriel, "The time for waiting is over. It is not without great hesitation that we move in secret against the White Wizard, Violet. You must understand this."

"Of course, my lady," Violet said, bowing her head, "I wish it didn't have to be like that, but I believe Mithrandir, and I believe in the ones with the gift of foresight."

"You are a wise woman." The Lady of Light smiled. "From my understanding, we need to get you to the realm of Thranduil rather quickly. There is no time to waste. If Sauron is inside the forest, he should be made aware. I agree with Mithrandir that Thranduil is most necessary in holding Sauron off."

"As do I," said Elrond.

"We will not be able to kill him," Gandalf said, "But killing off large parts of whatever army he's most certainly trying to raise will help. I don't doubt he is. There's a reason Thorin is being hunted by orc packs. Sauron wants Smaug and Erebor. With the dragon, the mountain, and orc packs, he'll be virtually unbeatable."

"If I may, what plans have you thought of so far?" Galadriel asked Violet.

"The first plan is to send elf scouts in secret to watch Dol Guldur. What better way to get information than directly from the source?" said the Potter woman.

"Are we certain that Thranduil will agree to this?" asked Lord Elrond.

"He won't have a choice," said Gandalf, "Sauron is a threat to us all. I think he will rather surprise you. King Thranduil is quite fond of his forests, and he feels it growing darker and darker. I spoke with him before I went to get Violet, though I told him I didn't know what the darkness was. He will want to expel his foe from his forests as quick as possible, sending Sauron packing to Mordor."

"Except, we need Sauron to stay in place as long as possible," said Violet, "No information will be gotten if the git runs off to hide in another fortress."

"Before he is a stubborn King, Thranduil is a war veteran. He will understand this, or I'm not the Gray Wizard."

"Mithrandir, I still don't understand why I'm being entrusted to do this," she said, "I'm not as wise as you three, I've only ever commanded one army, and I don't know King Thranduil. It took saving Thorin's life for him to trust me."

"It is your destiny, Violet, and I do wish you would stop doubting it," said Gandalf, "Lord Elrond and Lady Galadriel are powerful, but do not have the forces necessary alone. They also have their own matters to attend to at their own realms, whereas you can be by King Thranduil's side all the time. You possess a different perspective than most, having grown up being chased by a dark lord throughout your youngest years. It was your strategy that won the Battle of Hogwarts and it was your wit that realized that for Voldemort to die, the horcrux inside your brother needed to as well. Even Hermione had not realized that."

She nodded, feeling overwhelmed. Lady Galadriel leaned forward, placing a hand on the woman's knee. "It is normal to be scared, Violet. You would be foolish if you weren't." The Lady of Light smiled at her and leaned back. "Someone's heart is the only thing that defines them when it comes to what they can do to help. Mithrandir knew that when he chose Master Baggins, and he knew that when he chose you. Elves are wise, yes, but after living so long, we can be blind to the smallest things. Thranduil has Sauron living under his nose and doesn't even realize it. Elrond did not realize it for awhile either, and truth be told, neither did I.

"If Thranduil knew about Sauron right now, he would march upon Dol Guldur because of the dark lord's lack of power. But that would be underestimating Sauron, and Thranduil would lose. Your first idea was to gather intel. Do you see? You're already making a difference."

Violet nodded, feeling much better. She smiled at Lady Galadriel. "Thank you, my lady."

"So it is settled then," said Gandalf, "Violet will be travelling to Mirkwood at soon as possible. I wish there was a way to just teleport you there. The less time we spend travelling, the better."

"But we do," the witch said, "The gift of apparition."

Gandalf frowned. "But I thought you needed to see the place first before you could apparate."

"Perhaps when I was seventeen. Now, like many mature witches and wizards who have the ability, the name alone is enough if I think hard enough. I may be a few miles off, but walking for a few miles is better than riding for months to get to his halls." She paused for a minute, thinking. "The question is, do you want me to think about the Gates of Mirkwood, the Gates of Greenwood, or specifically King Thranduil's Halls? Normally I wouldn't suggest such a thing. It's quite rude to apparate inside someone's home, but desperate times, desperate measures and all that."

Lady Galadriel spoke, "Not his halls. It will put a fright in him and he will not listen after that. He won't enjoy the fact that someone can just appear in his halls."

"As for whether to think Greenwood or Mirkwood, Greenwood is gone and has been replaced by Mirkwood. I don't want to think about where you'll end up if you think Greenwood," said Gandalf.

"So, Gates of Mirkwood it is," Violet said, "When should I leave?"

"You did not think we would let you go to Mirkwood alone, did you? The forest is sick, Violet. If you do not show up with a familiar face, Thranduil will surely think of this as a ruse," said Elrond.

"I will take her," said Lady Galadriel.

"Are you sure about this, mellon nîn? Yourself and Thranduil have a complicated history," Elrond said. (my friend?)

"Nay, Thranduil's father and I have a complicated history. Thranduil is not him, even if as far as our relationship goes is respectful pleasantries. We have vastly different ideas, but he is far more reasonable than Oropher, just as Legolas is far more reasonable than his own father." The Lady's eyes shown with mirth and she had a sweet, teasing smile on her face.

"Aye," said Elrond, "The time to divide ourselves is over. We have done that for far too long."

The serious conversation ended there. "Mithrandir, can patronuses cross dimensions?" she asked.

Gandalf put a frown on his face. "Truthfully, I'm not certain. Why?"

"I just would like to send a message to Harry letting him and my family know I'm alright. Nobody can touch the patronus and it can stay hidden. Even if it was seen, it's too fast for anything to follow it."

"I don't see why that would be an issue, but wait until you reach Mirkwood. You can test to see if it works there."

She nodded. Lady Galadriel and Gandalf were chatting quietly to one another. Elrond was looking at the red-head and held a twinkle in his eye as he said, "Violet, before I forget, did you happen to lose a horse by the name of Belegmorroch?"

She squealed. "You found him?!"

"He showed up the same day you did, just that morning. My stable hands tell me he has been rather anxious since you crossed the border."

She smacked Gandalf on the arm repeatedly. "Mithrandir! He came back!"

They all laughed at the woman's happiness, including Violet herself. Gandalf said, "Funny to think that it wasn't too long ago that you did not like him or he you."

Violet smiled. "Yeah, I guess you're right." She frowned. "Too bad I can't take him with me." She looked at Gandalf. "Will you bring him to me when I see you next?"

"Of course, my dear girl. Now, come, we must make haste for Mirkwood."

And so that was how Lady Galadriel and Violet Potter stood at the border of Rivendell, waiting to apparate to the Mirkwood Gates. The witch had changed out of her dress and had even braided her hair into a singular braid down her back, much to Flufflepuff's displeasure. Alas, he had taken refuge in her bag that was slung across her body instead, finding a dark corner underneath her dirty clothes. Elrond had clothed her in leggings of the same reddish-brown his armor was, with a long tunic to match. Her same boots adorned her feet and her sheath with her sword and wand were on her waist. Small bits of horse hair clung to her, as she visited Belegmorroch before it was time to leave.

She felt like she was sweating bullets at having to apparate not only herself to a location unknown to her, but also the Lady of Light. What if she accidentally splinched her?! That felt like a one way ticket into a Lothlórien dungeon.

"My lady, I feel the need to warn you of the dangers and what this will feel like," said Violet, looking at Lady Galadriel. The elf nodded at her to continue. "It's going to feel like you're being twisted around and around. Your insides will literally feel like they're turning, and you might feel like walls are closing in on you from all directions. Many people... vomit after apparating for the first time, although you may be different. There's also a chance you could be splinched."

Lord Elrond looked very concerned as he asked, "Splinched?"

She gulped. "Splinching is a separating of the body. It can range from a loss of clothes, to a loss of hair, to a loss of limb. Sometimes it can be life threatening." Elrond looked as if he might faint. "But don't worry! I've never splinched anyone... mostly. Legolas lost one of his arm bands once, but in my defense we were attacked at a wedding and he had a spell shot at him!"

"I beg you, do not tell that story to King Thranduil," said Gandalf with wide eyes.

"Are we sure this is a good idea?" asked Elrond.

"Everything will be fine," spoke Lady Galadriel, in that sort of all knowing way she had about her, "Violet, I trust you. Focus, and everything will be alright."

She did as she was told, breathing in and out for a few moments to ground herself. She listened to the flowing river that surrounded Rivendell, heard the birds chirping, felt the spring air against her face. Without opening her eyes, she held her arm out for Lady Galadriel to take and waited. Once the Lady has a very strong grip on her, stronger than the average human, she did the wand movement for the spell and thought hard.

Gates of Mirkwood. Gates of Mirkwood. Gates of Mirkwood. Gates of Mirkwood...

The familiar feeling feeling of spinning and walls closing came over the two and they heard the familiar crack of apparition. They landed, and the Lady Galadriel put her hands on her knees, trying to balance herself once more.

"Are you nauseous, my lady?" asked Violet. The blonde put a hand up in response, and the red-head responded in turn by staying quiet. About thirty seconds later, Lady Galadriel stood upright and gave the Potter woman a dazzling smile.

"That was fantastic," she said. "Can all Earth wizards do that?"

"They all have the opportunity, but not everyone learns it for different reasons, and some just can't grasp the concept."

The Lothlórien elf nodded in response and they looked around to see where they had actually apparated to. An open field was behind them, but a forest was in front. Lady Galadriel praised Violet on a job well-done, especially for having never seen the Elven-king's gates before.

"Is there anything I should know before going in front of him?" Violet asked.

"The formal elvish greeting," said Lady Galadriel. She demonstrated what to do. It was the same gesture that Lindir had given Gandalf on the party's first arrival. "Perfect. Let me do it first, and let him respond. Then you may proceed. Now, shall we?"

Violet nodded, and so the Lady of Light began walking towards the forest entrance. She looked like an absolute picturesque goddess, and so the witch dusted off her clothes as best she could before following. Walking into the forest felt heavy, as if her body could fall over at any second. The air was thick, as if it was trying to ensnare her mind. How did these elves stand this? While the trees looked beautiful from the outside, inside the forest was a different story. They looked dead, and very little light penetrated them. A statue of a woman sat at the entrance, just a few yards from the gates, and it was covered in leaves and vines. They walked through the unguarded gates, as it was used as a passage way from one side of the forest to the other, and was open for public use.

"My Lady, how long of a walk is it to the King's Halls?" asked Violet.

"You apparated us close, which surprises me. It will be a three-week walk from here, assuming we don't get lost in the enchantments," said Lady Galadriel. The red-head's eyes widened. Well, I guess that's better than the month long ride it would take us to even get to the forest, she thought.

"Is there a way I can get us closer?"

The elf stood in thought for a moment. "There is another gate outside of Thranduil's Halls. I suppose that is not the same as apparating inside his halls. Though, if luck is with us, it will not land us directly outside the gates."

Violet nodded, and so they attempted apparating again. The sickness of the forest made it difficult, as it clouded her mind and made it difficult to concentrate. This apparition would be much more difficult than the first, but it was quite necessary with the urgency of the issue. They landed in the middle of the forest, but at least they were on the path. The only problem was, Lady Galadriel lost her circlet, and Violet had a cut on her palm, as well as her hair tie was missing, letting her hair loose from its braid.

The two women looked at each other, before sharing a good laugh about their misfortunes, knowing that in the sick forest, it could have been much worse. It seems as if fate really was on their side. They walked for probably around two more miles before a guard stopped them.

"Halt!" yelled a guard. "The Lady Galadriel of Lothlórien. King Thranduil and the Woodland Realm welcome you." The guard turned his gaze upon her. "Yet, I do not know you. What is your name and business here?"

The witch was going to speak, but Lady Galadriel spoke for her. "Violet Potter, and we need to urgently speak with King Thranduil."

"My lady, I cannot let a stranger inside the halls, even if they are with you. My Elven-lord does not know them," said the guard with a bowed head.

"You must! It is very urgent. Your king will want to hear what we have to speak of." The guard declined once more, and the Lady continuously attempted to explain the necessity of letting them inside.

"My Prince Legolas," the remaining guard said. Violet swung around to see her old friend behind her and an ear-splitting grin appeared on her face.

"Violet?" Legolas asked, as if he could not believe his eyes. The patrol guards behind him all exchanged confused looks. For elves, mortals were easy to forget, and so she was unsurprised that the guards who did not, and even those who did, come with Legolas did not know her or her name.

"Legolas..." she breathed out. The two shared a joyous laugh before they were in each other's arms, hugging one another tightly. For Legolas, not seeing her for ten years was like missing a week, but for Violet, it was like a lifetime had passed. "Where did you come from?"

He gestured to the guards behind him. "We heard a loud crack. I see now it was you. What in the Valar are you doing here?"

"Business with Mithrandir, I'm afraid. We need to see your father," she said.

"Well come, I'll take you now," he said. He went to move around her, but stopped short at the other elf. "Lady Galadriel. I did not see you there. Goheno nin."

"It is quite alright, Prince Legolas. It is very easy to get distracted when seeing an old friend once more." The elf woman smiled softly. It was quite refreshing to see two happy people in this dark forest.

Legolas turned to his guards and dismissed them in Sindarin, before beckoning the two women to follow him and they walked through the gates without issue. The prince knew word had probably spread to his father by now, as it always did when someone appeared at their gates, and so he directed the women to the throne room. He warned Violet to watch her step before pushing the doors open.

As they walked in, Legolas greeted his father with a smile, before moving to stand at the bottom of the stairs that led to the throne. Violet watched as the Lady gave the Elven-king the formal elvish greeting. King Thranduil stood up and gave the same greeting in reply, before his eyes turned to his last guest.

The Potter woman didn't know what she was expecting of the Elven-king, but she certainly didn't expect him to look this good. His hair was a mixture of golden and white blonde, flowing down his back, rivaling the length of her own. His jawline was sharp, and his face slender. His eyebrows were thick, and on any other person they would have looked unruly, but all they did was give him an even greater elegance than he already had. His eyes were an ice blue, the same ones Legolas has. They softened Legolas's features, but made his father's even sharper.

Violet gave him the same elvish greeting as well, and he gave it back to her. He studied her for a minute, face so serious that it unnerved her. His eyes travelled from the top of her head down to her feet, and then back again. He walked down the stairs, his robes trailing behind him. He did this slowly, as if she were his prey to catch and he was gearing up for the pounce. 

If she wasn't in the presence of a king, it would have made her squirm, but she kept her composure for the sake of saving face. She thought for sure he was gearing up to be rude with the way he scrutinized her, but when he looked her in the eyes again, he cracked a smirk.

"A mortal who knows a formal elvish greeting. I'm impressed," He remarked, bowing his head slightly, and clasping his hands behind his back. He stood beside his son on the platform.

"Thank you, my lord," She replied, "I will not claim to be an expert on all things elvish, but it felt rude to stand before you and not greet you properly."

"Now I'm more impressed," He said, turning to Lady Galadriel, "Though, I am also curious. To what do I owe the pleasure of having the Lady of Light grace my halls today?"

"We need to speak with you of a most urgent matter. There is no time to waste, Thranduil," said she, "Let us not speak around prying ears."

King Thranduil regarded Lady Galadriel with the utmost suspicion. It was clear his trust of her only extended so far, and that they did not reach out to each other often. Still, Violet trusted Gandalf, and Gandalf trusted Thranduil.

"Adar, they were sent by Mithrandir," Legolas interjected. King Thranduil turned to his head to his son, and even that seemed to be elegantly done.

"Meddling wizard," the king muttered, "Very well. Follow me."

His strides were long, matched to the lengths of his legs. He did not slow down for anybody, and anybody who was in his way moved with a bow of their head. He commanded the entirety of the hall, back rigid and head held high. However, there was no superiority in his gait. He simply held himself to the standard of his station, with the confidence to match. It was easy for Lady Galadriel and Legolas to keep up, and if King Thranduil was human, Violet would be able to as well. However, the elven qualities were giving her difficulty.

It was only a five-minute walk to wherever they were going. Without a word, the guards standing in front of the door pulled them open with ease as the four of them walked in. Then, the doors shut once more before Violet had even taken three steps into the room. King Thranduil walked over to a tray that was sitting beside his desk, pouring some sort of liquid into the cup. He sat down in the high-back captain's chair that sat behind his workstation.

"May I tempt you with a glass of Dorwinion, my lady?" King Thranduil asked, looking at Lady Galadriel.

"No, but thank you," replied the elf, giving the king a soft and kind smile. He nodded once, giving her a restrained, yet kind smile and turned his gaze onto Violet.

"And you, Miss Potter?" he asked. Her eyebrows shot up, surprised he knew who she was. She hadn't introduced herself yet. He looked amused at this, lips curling into a small smile. "I know who you are. Legolas and Mithrandir have spoken of you to me often enough. I would have to be a fool to not know otherwise."

She blushed pink. "Ah, my apologies. I wasn't expecting you to realize. To answer your question though, no, but thank you anyways." He nodded and then gestured for them to begin speaking. Violet looked at Lady Galadriel, who was clearly giving her a look that told her to go ahead. The woman swallowed, and she was sure every elf in the room heard her nervousness. "My lord, Mithrandir sent us here to warn you about Sauron. He made mention that you knew a darkness was rising, but you were unsure of its source. I'm sure you're aware that a Necromancer has taken over Dol Guldur."

"Of course I am. They have cursed my forest and driven my kin north," he stated, lip curling in disgust, "Sauron has indeed returned then?"

"Yes."

"I fail to see why this needed to come to my attention."

"It is time for you to stop sitting in the shadows, Thranduil. Middle-Earth needs your help," stated Lady Galadriel.

"I'm sure." He narrowed his eyes. "Though, I fail to see what I get out of this besides bringing more death to my kin."

"You will bring more death to your kin by not acting."

"I am not convinced of that." He was beginning to anger. His jaw was clenched tightly, and he was looking up at the two women through his lashes, his brows tight together.

"My lord," Violet started, "We have reason to believe Sauron wants to wake the dragon, Smaug. Already he has tried to assassinate Thorin Oakenshield."

"And yet, I remain even less convinced than I was one minute ago. I will not involve myself in this plot and subject my people to this," he hissed.

Violet went to say something else, but stopped at the touch of Lady Galadriel. She looked at the elf, who shook her head. They left the study, and the Potter felt dejected. She had told Gandalf that she was not cut out for this, and he had assured her he was. Yet, here she was, proving him wrong and herself right.

As they walked, they spoke of what to do next. Going back to Rivendell was a surefire, but no other plan would be as successful as the one they had already thought of. The closer they got to the gates, the heavier Violet's heart felt. Why?

Why can't King Thranduil see the necessity in this?

"Wait!" The two women stopped and turned around. Legolas was running towards them both. "Stay. At least for the night. I'm sure I can convince my father. If Sauron is truly back, it won't be long before he tries to take over Northern Mirkwood as well. Besides, I have not seen you for many, many moons Violet."

"Legolas, does your father know about this?" Lady Galadriel asked teasingly. Legolas looked down, ashamed.

"Nay," he said, and with a determined look in his eyes, he continued, "But what he does not know will not hurt him."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

604K 20.7K 44
Book I of the 'To Live Again' Saga In the modern world Clara Riley experiences a life changing event...death! Usually this means the end of living...
7.3K 225 28
Urzoth, daughter of Azog the Defiler has been trained all her life to do one thing: befriend the dwarves. Ever since her father lost his arm in the b...
1.9K 89 22
Ida was never normal. She never understood herself. When she gets sent back home, a certain wizard is sure that the only way for her to return to h...
323K 13.1K 50
You have grown up under the care of Radagast the Brown, and on an errand to King Thranduil of Mirkwood you encounter Thorin Oakenshield's Company, th...