Artificial Horizon - A César...

By 23meraki

You recently became part of the promotion team of the flag carrier of the country, and you're tasked to shoot... More

* Introduction *
I - Trade Winds
II - Squawk
III - Magnetic Bearing
IV - Glide Slope
V - Out of Trim
VI - Angle of Attack
VII - Shock Wave
VIII - Contrails
IX - INCERFA
X - Beacon
XI - 7500
XII - Lift
XIII - Homing
XIV - Knot
XV - Slip
XVI - Skid
XVII: Occluded Front
XVIII: Crosswind
XIX: Field of Vision
XX: Line of Position
XXI: Catch Point
XXII: Inversion Layer
XXIII: Rule of Thumb
XXIV: Downdraft
XXVI: Threshold
XXVII: Windshear
XXVIII: Blind Transmission
XXIX: Mean Sun
XXX: Confirm
XXXI: Approach
XXXII: Feather
XXXIII: Mist
XXXIV: Pre-ignition
XXXV: Spin
XXXVI: Swell
XXXVII - Point of No Return
XXXVIII - Decision Height
XXXIX - DETRESFA
XL - Gravity
XLI - Open-skies
XLII - Spoiler
XLIII - Final Approach
XLIV - Artificial Horizon
* The Story behind ARTIFICIAL HORIZON *
XLV - Adverse Yaw
XLVI - Course
XLVII - Coriolis Force
XLVIII - Headwind
XLIX - Rhumb Line
L - Acknowledge
LI - Landing
The Succeeding Years
* Lt. César Basa (1915-1941) *
* Photographs *
* Timeline of AH's creation *
* Creating the world of AH *
* Sources & Credits *
* Inspired Playlist *
Bonus Chapter - Line of Position (Extended Version)
Bonus Chapter - Line of Position (César's POV)
Bonus Chapter - Touchdown

XXV: Dewpoint

116 9 0
By 23meraki

The temperature at which air is saturated with water vapor and condensation begins. Weather reports usually include the air temperature and dewpoint temperature. When the difference between the two is small, there is a strong possibility of fog, clouds, or precipitation.

* * *

December 6th, 1300Z (2100LCL)
Location: Puerto Princesa, Palawan, Philippines

Just as what Capt. Zablan also said, the rain had just been a passing one. But with how drenched everyone is, the shooting had been canceled. Despite not being able to shoot everything that is written in the screenplay, the team agrees that there hadn't been any lost as we can compensate with others that we've shot prior outside the given sequence, too. Hence, once the rain somehow eased down, we head on back to the hotel with our gears and towels surrounding our frames.

Thankfully, both Ellen and Lara finally drop the questions when they themselves somehow make the assumption. I do not want to join them with such thing, but if it had been the case that they can see, then it is not my problem to be in the middle of such discourse. If ever, they should discuss such matter instead with the other party as I can't do anything nor answer anything beyond what I already told them that there is definitely nothing much about us.

After taking a quick shower and change our clothes to some dry ones, the team then decides to have some dinner to another popular spot. It had been a lighter atmosphere that we decide on not to feature any shooting with that. For others, they'll definitely say that it is another opportunity; but with the mishap that happened earlier, all we need right now is to be out of such uptight zone. As we are all hopeful that the weather's prediction tomorrow will be quite good, we can supplement further shoots then; though with what both of our pilots predict to be another cautionary weather, we aren't hopeful that things will be moving in our favor.

Our scheduled shoot for tomorrow will be at the Underground River. If things do not work then, we're definitely going to ensure that most of what we've shot by now and what we'll be shooting the next will be necessary for the lost ones we didn't manage to have.

I am about to head on to bed by the time that I am surprised to find a visitor. For my own safety, of course, I take a peek at the peephole, and almost curse upon finding out who is the one standing outside my hotel room at this hour of the night. And in hopes not to find everything else too suspicious, I immediately unlock and open my door to address him. And, no, I didn't ask him to enter in.

"Good evening, Rookie," Elian immediately greets before I can do so. He has a definite pointed look at me and a small smile as he appears just as how I last saw him earlier during dinner—all fresh-up, hair dried in a messy way than be properly fixed as usual, and in his usual attire of dress shirt and trousers. He lifts a hand to give to me a small paper bag. "In any case na sumama ang pakiramdam mo or kung magkalagnat ka dahil sa naulanan ka kanina."

I check the contents of the small packaging and it is indeed a series of medications, varying brands but very evident to be all of paracetamol.

"Hindi ko alam kung magiging allergic ka sa isa, kaya sinigurado ko na lamang na kung ano man ang preferred mong brand ay nandiyan," he adds before handing then a cup the next. "And here's some chamomile tea. Para mas madali kang makatulog at makapagpahinga."

I blink at him as I hold on to the things he had given. "Uhm, thanks? But... hindi naman necessary ang mga ito. So, why are you doing this?"

"Honestly?"

"Honestly."

He sighs heavily. "I'll be truly making the excuse na nandito ako para kunin 'yong button-down ko. But as you are deserving of much more honesty pagkatapos ng lahat ng mga weird and strange conversations nating dalawa..." He clears his throat the next. "Well, I am just worried and I am concerned of you, Rookie."

"Don't you think na masyadong mabilis naman ang lahat-lahat kung bigla-bigla kang naging concerned sa akin?" I inquire.

"Perhaps. Perhaps not." Elian cranes his neck to the side before brushing his hair with his fingers. "Definitely not, in my case. Just to clarify it. I don't know if you will even let me but... yeah. Pwede ba nating sabihin talaga na dahil talaga ito sa button-down?"

Why does it entertain me and I find it cute that he is having a hard time to explain his own actions?

I bite my lower lip to suppress my own smile, and nod. "Yeah. Definitely. 'Yon na lang ang possible excuse. And for the button-down, naibigay ko na for laundry kanina. I'll just return it kapag nakuha ko na ulit."

"Sure." He nods in return, and after a few minutes of silence between us, with no further words to say, he bids me goodnight and the fleeting remark of, "Stop making me worry about you all the time."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As usual, I do not know how many days or weeks had already passed since I return to the dreamscape. The last time had been weirdly a continuation of the one prior it, and it is very much of an understanding between me and César. But this time, by the time I gain bearing of the dreamscape, my mind seems set of what must be done already that thinking of what day it is happens to be at the very bottom of my list.

After all, the mood had been quite somber when I wake up finding myself back at the barracks. It gives me the notion that it had been definitely more than a week since the previous dream; and whether César finally gives up or not didn't end up as a question at all in my mind, as if I am sure that he listened to me and followed what he wanted. Though our ending conversation is quite a surprised and had been left hanging, I know at the back of my mind that the marriage remains a talk for another time. Since, as I still have the engagement ring means that we're still together, and the absence of a wedding ring is enough to tell me that we're still not wed at all.

I try to fit in the mood, watching with quiet gaze how the other nurses proceed on with the day despite the falling raindrops evident and the lack of sunlight in an otherwise hint of the dawn. I proceed on to change my clothes to the usual, before I realize that aside from it, others are also pulling out some sort of military-issued outer coat to be worn. So, I also take that of mine before the head of our department finally calls for everyone's attention to remain orderly as if we're some school children.

Clara, at that, instantly draws closer to me, linking her arms with that of mine as she holds on to an umbrella for us to share. Before I know it, the two of us are quiet as we take a bus for the ride, heading off to somewhere. And even if I am edgy to find out more, I keep my mouth shut as if that is the acceptable thing for me to do right now. It didn't take long for my own curiosity to be answered that beyond the view of the falling rain, rows and rows of crosses and tombstones become evident of where we're going.

My first thought of seeing it, Sino ang namatay? Anong ginagawa namin dito? Bakit?

I take a quick look around our bunch and I instantly hint something that not all of the military nurses are with us, just as not most of PAAC are also present. To be exact, only the entire group of the Sixth Pursuit Squadron are here, under each or shared umbrellas; though there are others I am familiar of to be part of PAAC, who are surely here because they personally know whoever it is who've died.

As I keep myself quiet and observing around, I meet new faces that I can swear I haven't seen back in the base, and then finally the grieving family, easily hinted with the framed photograph of the deceased that they are holding on.

Ah... Instantly, all other questions I have dispersed and are then answered at once.

In my time that I've been here on this dreamscape, it had been only once that I've heard of him, and only once, too, did I see him. However, I know that I had more memories of him in this dream's memory bank. Despite that, I am not crying or grieving at all, but my heart is heavy and quite painful about the loss of someone that I know had been constant in this dream version of mine's life, even though in just a background and not as evident to usually have an interaction with me.

Clara remains close to me, and like her, both of us remain quiet. One can easily hint the family who are grieving the most, but looking through the rest of the Sixth Pursuit Squadron, I realize their sadness as well. Even that of César's as he stands just behind along with those he is closest the most. It is evident on their squad's expressions that they loss someone full of passion and promises in such a cruel way; like losing one limb and be forever haunted by it.

"Just because it didn't happen the first time, didn't mean that it will not be very dangerous at all to try," I hear one pilot, just a few feet away from me, whispers to his colleague. They are talking as quiet as possible, but due to the distance between them and me and Clara, it is quite easy to listen to them.

"Oh. Hindi ko alam na may nangyari na ganoon," the other he is talking to remarks.

After all, what is going on within the Sixth Pursuit Squadron is usually confidential and just within their own group that the other members of PAAC can only just rumor about their dealings until an accident as a casualty or a loss of aircraft happens that even the Sixth Pursuit Squadron can't keep among themselves.

"Aside from that, involve na rin si Luzon sa isa pang aksidente noong August. Sila ni Juliano no'n."

"Tapos ito ngayon ay 'yong kay Reyes, ano?"

"Oo. Sabi ng iba sa Sixth, nangyari na raw 'yan dati. Hindi nga lang sa kanilang dalawa ni Reyes. Kay Basa at Bernardo nangyari iyon noong nakaraang tatlong linggo. Parehong-pareho raw ang nangyari; ang pinagkaiba lamang..."

"Nakaligtas 'yong dalawa. Sino sa kanila ang katulad ng ginawa ni Luzon?"

I take a quick look of the two pilots talking, sure enough that I've seen them before but truly hadn't been chosen to be part of the Sixth Pursuit Squadron itself. They may be about the same age as that of César and the others, and for some reasons, I can hint some sort of resentment—and is that some sort of envy?—that despite being a pilot, they hadn't been part of the truly celebrated ones. And then, one of them, the one who has his arms crossed, inclines his head to a respective direction and says, "Si Basa."

My eyes are then drawn to where César is another time. When I do, I hint Victor whispers something by his ear and he bites his lower lip in return before craning his neck to mumble a reply to the other. A moment later, even Antonio and Salvador Manlunas join their conversation, and it hadn't been too long for them to be all silent once more as if whatever message had been finally relayed among them.

There is no doubt that it is painful for the Sixth Pursuit Squadron to take. Not just because of the loss of a plane and of a pilot, but because it was a scenario that they've managed to survive a while back. That is definitely quite a great blow for them that somehow, despite the risk that happened from before that resulted to César's suspension, and as well as that of Lt. Bernardo, it still happened that now cost Lt. Ruperto Luzon's life. And for sure, if there is someone who will take the matter too badly to be so affected by it, there is no doubt that it is César, the same man who've dared to do it once before and survived. The man who've danced with Death and won. The man they'll be calling to be a lucky one, if not one of the greatly skilled one to be celebrated of accomplishing such a feat.

Even so, a part of me had known César for quite too long already, despite me only seeing him for the past few dreams alone, that I know what this heavily implies to him now. That many will consider him to be a great one, but there is no doubt that he dubs himself to be just one thread away from tricking Death that the next time will not be forgiving. That as the old saying goes, if one survives such a way of death, then one shall be expecting for something worse than that.

* * *

After the funeral and sending off our condolences to the family, Clara excuses herself to speak with Antonio. She leaves the umbrella for me to take, and in doing so, I end up finding César, too. Fortunately, I didn't need to look for him for far too long as he seems to be nearby by the time that Clara leaves me, as if it is actually the reason why she excuses herself. Either way, I think it is only a good chance for me to also get a bearing of how he is doing right now.

As he shows no indication to move away from the fresh grave site, I draw closer to where he stands. I even raise my arm a little to shelter both of us from the rain as he seems not to mind being drenched with the absence of an umbrella now compared to earlier that his comrades had been close to him to do so. And when he realizes that it is me, he looks away from the grave, smiles at me and takes the umbrella for him to hold it for the two of us, greeting the next, "A gloomy morning, isn't it, my love?"

I then surround my arms around that of his, sighing heavily. I bite my lower lip then look on at the fresh grave with strewn flowers and lighted candles struggling not to be burned out by the rain. I agree, nodding, "Yes."

He sighs heavily. "It had been four days since he died. Since the same accident happened. Strange to find out that... hindi niya nagawa. Hindi niya nagawang mailigtas ang sarili niya at ang eroplano. Samantalang ako..." There is no sense of pride or arrogance in his words. It is more like him saying that, "It could've been me."

"It's not you," I assure him, squeezing his biceps lightly. "'Wag mo masyadong isipin 'yong possibility. Hindi siya nangyari, okay?"

"Ang hirap isipin na hindi. Knowing that it had been the same. Or rather, at the very same parameters, at least... it had been all the same. Ang dali lamang sabihin na... perhaps, may isang bagay akong ginawa kaya ganoon, at may isang bagay siyang ginawa kaya naging ganoon. Siguro hindi talaga ganoon katulad ang readings ng instruments compared sa na-encounter niya. But who knows? It all could be very much the same. The scenario alone is the same."

"Pero ikaw na rin ang nagsabi na walang nakakaalam kung parehong-pareho kayo ng readings sa instruments at that time, 'di ba? Perhaps, the weather had been different, too."

"Perhaps. But it only sounds like I am assuring myself that I should be grateful of being alive than be buried six feet deep."

"And you should be," I insist. "That's basically how life is."

He scoffs. "Knowing all that... Parang mas natatakot na ako... paano naman kung ako? Dahil din kaya talaga sa eroplano? Dahil ba sa training? O sa digmaan? O sa iba pang bagay?"

"Shh..." I chew the inside of my mouth. "'Wag na natin pag-usapan ang tungkol doon. Mahirap at delikado maging piloto. Alam ko. Pero hindi dapat maging dahilan ang kamatayan sa kawalan ng pag-asa na wala itong maidudulot na maganda."

He turns to me with a click of his tongue. "(Y/N)—"

"Oo," I interrupt with a pressed smile. "Matagal ko na tanggap. At naiintindihan ko. Pero sana maging sapat na inspirasyon ako sa iyo para gawin ang lahat ng makakaya mo para manatiling buhay. Para makabalik sa akin, César."

His eyes soften at that, and after looking back at the fresh grave once more, with our umbrella somehow sheltering few of the candles, we finally bid our final goodbye to Lt. Luzon at his resting place. He walks me onward to where our bus is waiting for before he proceeds on to meet with his squad and join them the way back to camp. However, before we separate ways, he tells me, "Alam ko na maari tayong maagang makauwi since weekend bukas, and after today... well, Capt. Villamor is gathering all of us for some announcement, so..."

"I'll wait for you," I tell him, smiling, as he hands me back the umbrella after closing it.

Before I can even scold him that he can take it with him, and I'll just tell Clara about it later on, he insists for me to take it. And as he walks away from the bus, he adds, "I'll meet you later."

* * *

A/N: Vote, comment and share! Whatever you do means a lot to me, and I am really wishing for some feedback!
It is quite nostalgic of me to celebrate today the birthdays of my first main characters from my original novel series! It's like we've been together for already sixteen years! T_T Anyway, happy birthday to The Izabran Chronicles lovebirds~ :>

A few list of notes to share!
1. What does it mean that the same scenario happened but it could have a different aftermath? As mentioned throughout the chapter, Lt. Ruperto Luzon died in a mock dogfight training that resembled one that César himself encountered a few chapters back, that one that led for his suspension and for them to argue and then you knew the rest. So, how could it be that César survived and Luzon didn't? The aviation industry aimed not to repeat the mistake of others, that's for sure. Every accident and incident is a lesson learned. However, some things could be overlooked still. Like with the training, experience, state of mind, pilot psychology, and over-all, the aircraft itself. Training and experience, we all know throughout the series that every pilot of the Sixth received the same training, and Luzon has more garnered hours than César as Luzon was from an earlier batch of graduates than César. But with the state of mind and pilot psychology... we could say that, okay, they did the same thing and reacted on the same way, and both had been calm despite the pressure. But the greater question was the aircraft. To be honest, not all aircraft are the same. Yeah, don't tell me that it was a common factor as there were other aircraft manufacturers, and their type-rating as I've explained before; what I mean was that, no aircraft are exactly the same. One major part that they were different from one another was their "weight distribution". A major part of an aircraft performance is its weight and balance; and not all aircraft have the same center of gravity, moment and weight. Due to that, it has a greater impact already that both experienced the same scenario and acted the same, but if they were using different aircraft for the maneuver... well, there was the answer. But, if it was the same aircraft still, despite all that said, then there's a small discrepancy when it came to the parameters of the instruments. One different reading from the other was definitely a very huge difference already. I mean, for example, will be in regards to: altitude (a fifty or hundred feet may be small, but it is a different matter if you're to encounter turbulence and someone is in a level flight just five hundred or thousand feet below and above you); airspeed (five knots may not be almost felt, but compiling it all up in matter of distance and with the wind factor, it alters one's time conscience); and then, there's a heading (if there's a strong wind blowing from one side, and you keep pointing your aircraft to the same heading of your intent, there's a very huge difference that you may be pointing on that direction but with the wind, you're already drifted away).

Chapter title: Dewpoint. As mentioned above, when temperature and dewpoint are too close to one another, there's a higher chance that it will rain, along with a lower pressure present in the air. After all, dewpoint is the tendency on how much water vapor air can actually hold. And yes, we have too many to rain on this chapter.

Follow me on twitter @23meraki for more updates and trivia. ;)
#CFBArtificialHorizon

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.1K 667 22
An average person gets the chance to reincarnate as a tragic hero. Can he change his fate with his foreknowledge or will he meet the same fate? This...
96.3K 4.2K 113
Ermahgerd Unicorns Rainbows Pineapples Sprinkles Funny Quotes 2 is here!!!
10M 751K 88
Marriage had always been my dream but not to a man about whom I know nothing. The moment my father fixed an alliance of me to a Prince without even t...
148K 4K 190
The Gluttonous house's auction feast had an exceptionally good furnace in constitution of a little girl with sky-high price, everyone in looting. Su...