Dangerous Diabolical: Book 1...

By TheTravellersloft

- Winner of the Tricolor Triennial awards Paranormal 2023 - In a world where creatures of myth and legend wal... More

Welcome
Glossary of Creatures and Terms
Chapter 1 - Members only | Edited
1.2 | Edited
Chapter 2 - Dead Bodies | Edited
2.2 | Edited
2.3 | Edited
2.4 | edited
Chapter 3 - Things which go bump in the night | Edited
3.2
3.3
3.4
Chapter 4 - Wolf moon
4.2
4.4
Chapter 5 - Sitting Pretty
5.2
5.3
Chapter 6 - Run Rabbit Run
6.2
6.3
6.4
Chapter 7 - Adventures in Faery tales
7.2
7.3
7.4
Chapter 8 - Gone haunting
8.2
8.3
8.4
Chapter 9 - Perfect blend
9.2
9.3
Chapter 10 - Unfortunate souls
10.2
10.3
10.4
10.5
10.6
Chapter 11 - What's Mine is not yours
11.2
11.3
11.4
11.5
11.6
Chapter 12 - In the beginning
12.2
12.3
Book 2: Malignant, Maniacal (sneak peek 1)

4.3

171 52 207
By TheTravellersloft

I hissed, burning spasms flaring out of the punctures created by its pointed teeth. Instinctively pulling magic to my fingertips, I grabbed its maw, forcing fire into its skin. The creature shrieked, releasing its grip and backing away, leaving me swaying from the empty reserves I'd been forced to scrape from. It began to circle, unsure of where the attack had come from, shaking its head and pawing with disfigured digits at its face. At the sight of handprints sizzled into its flesh a satisfied smirk curled into my lips.

Too late the smell of smoke alerted me to the kindled bandage on my arm smouldering into dust, the remnants falling off in a puddle of flame. "Shoot," I muttered, seeing the disfigured skin, and the gem glinting.

Leaving no time to worry, the creature slunk as low as it could to the tiles, the universal dog sign for 'I'm about to pounce'. This time when it did, I was ready; grabbing its neck, pushing my true self's strength behind it. Launching the thing, it catapulted over my shoulder like a rugby ball, sailing into the last-minute buys with a whimper.

Done and dusted, I wiped my hands off on my trousers. The putrid flesh was sticky with a capital S. What the hell was this thing? Was I going to become a zombie now it had bitten me?

Cans clinked behind me.

"Dammit," I swore, turning to see the thing pushing away produce as it stumbled to its feet. Parting my feet I readied my stance for another lunge. Our eyes met in a challenge, both growling low. It haphazardly shoved discarded items aside as it climbed out of the debris.

A small head bobbed up from behind the fridges. "Watch out!" Jo cried, flinging her arm to point at something behind me.

Abruptly a whistling shriek approached, instantaneously getting louder. Risking turning my back on the wolf-girl, I was too slow; magic slammed me from the side, buffeting me to the ground.

What the -

Another magical wave hit cascaded to strike, the force sliding me across the polished floors. Power crackled uncomfortably across where it contacted, but glided harmlessly across my skin for the most part. From under my uniform, the emerald necklace spilt out, shimmering with the residue of magic.

Leofstan had said something about it being an alert for danger and if so now would be an excellent time. Winded, scrabbling to standing, I took note of the new assailant. This one was robed too, their arms outstretched, hands glimmering with a new magic wave building up.

Despite their power lacking in strength to cause harm, the pressure hitting my skin was irritating. The spell-casting assailant would have to hit me with way more if he wanted to surpass a tickle. Finding my feet, the figure hesitated, magic wavering.

Yes, fear me! I gloried in my brilliance grinning. They wouldn't penetrate this hide with party tricks!

Then the wolf-thing bit into my calf, and it did indeed break through the skin.

For a moment I hissed, teeth clenched and nose scrunched, waiting to find out if the pain would be as bad as it looked. My breath gushed out "Ouch!" I hollered, grasping at the creature and trying to pry it off. Annoyed I pressed burning hands against it again, channelling raw magic into my palms, using just that little bit more than before.

Black spots appeared in my vision. Where my magic swirled out of my hands, it also passed through the gem embedded there. The stone heated, burning my skin in return and sending pins and needles chasing up the limb. Rather than take Leofstans advice and abstain from magic I decide to commit and push out even more. Whatever was going on with the gem hurt a lot less than the decomposing mouth latched onto my leg.

Finally reaching an unacceptable temperature, the wolf released and leapt away, hackles raised as it slunk to stand in front of the other aggressor.

The figure ran a gloved hand over the skull of the wolf creature, hood low, a flash of white teeth visible under a twisted smirk. A shimmering fluctuation in the air disclosed their next move, they were already charging another blast.

If I didn't do something soon, this could turn ugly. Perhaps there wasn't a stronger attack brewing, but I wasn't going to stand here all day and get hit. Using the last of my reserves to summon a fiery inferno would put matters to rest quickly, but that involved magic. The small amount I'd used already might incur the council's wrath, but surely I'd be able to claim self-defence if I upped the mojo; if I didn't pass out first.

Looking over to the security podium, I decided the cameras needed turning off first. The worst-case scenario would be the fight being recorded. To get there it would require passing the caped combo first.

The wolf jumped, joined by a wave of magic wall following behind. Leaping sideways, twisting awkwardly out of the snapping jaws I couldn't avoid the magical sheet. It rammed me further back into the store, the rubber of my shoes squeaking viciously. A soft clink signified the shattering of the emerald gem as I staggered. Spell spent, the stone was no more.

The spellcaster's smirk dropped slightly. Yup, still not enough power little man. My teeth were beginning to become pointed as my human guise began to slip. Not even trying to regain humanity I gave him a lovely bloody smile.

They'd pushed me right to the edge of the homeware aisle, leaving the closest thing in reach to be a box of ceramic plates.

That would do.

Hoisting the entire dinner set up, positioning it like a basketball, I launched it towards the security podium simultaneously pushing my other self strength behind it.

It sailed true, ripping the stand free.

And also taking out the front window.

Then lodged into a car bonnet. The alarm blared angrily.

"Bugger!" I cringed. That was a bit too much oomph. Sorry, David! I'm not sure his insurance would cover flying ceramics. Ah well, too late now I thought grabbing the next box and preparing to throw that too. Aiming it straight at the robed man he threw up a hasty magic shield around him, shimmering white.

Okay, that was pretty damn cool, I wanted to be able to do that.

The wolf alighted in front of him again. Had it not just seen how I'd obliterated that window? Did it want to get hit? Letting it stew in its stupidity. I launched the box, smashing into the wolf's head and catapulting the thing against the magical shield. For a moment, both box and wolf hung out pressed against the spell caster's shield, the force pressing him backwards. With a porcelain shatter the box concaved causing plate splinters to launch through the cardboard, a squelch as the pressure pushed the wolf-girl two-dimensional.

The sudden relief in pressure sent the spell caster stumbling. The bloody streak splattered to the floor as the shield dissipated.

I gave a satisfied nod, "Nice job." I congratulated myself. Now that was a splattered mess of decomposition. I'd have to drop prey many times from a height to get it even close to being that flat.

The robed man dropped to a knee as he struggled for balance. Was he getting tired already? I was just starting to have fun, the magic wasn't even out yet. Rolling my shoulders as I walked toward him, I felt my fingers slip into claws. All the better to rip you apart with, my dear, I cooed mentally.

Sirens.

I snarled. The human fools were going to get in my way! I'd spent the last few weeks daydreaming about ripping something apart and I was too close not to fulfil it. If the body in front of me wasn't torn into little bloody pieces by the next ten minutes somebody else would be.

Flashing blue lights coruscated in the distance signifying they were closer than first thought. With a clenched jaw, I pulled my other self back, smothering it down under a human guise. My teeth flattened to their dull human shape, disappointed at yet again being denied food.

"Celandine!" A rough, deep voice shouted from outside and my timing humanising was excellent. Footsteps crunched hurriedly over the glass that once sat in the store window. I swivelled to see a familiar lean figure. Sweat dripping from his brow, his blazer jacket tied around his waist, shirt unbuttoned at the top and looking like he'd just had a boardroom meeting from hell, was Leofstan.

Compared to when I'd seen him earlier today he looked better than I was fairing. His pale demeanour had been replaced by flushed cheeks and his brown hair was somewhat neatened.

The burns marring him from my energy rampage this morning were nothing but small scabs. As my cheeks were achy, my arm sore, and now I had massive bloody bites to accompany a growing headache, I was completely envious. Annoyed, I ignored him, turning back to my current prey.

Except he wasn't there. Only the decomposing bloody remains lay splattered in a puddle. Scanning to the left and right I searched the premises, only to see the tip of his robe disappear out of the fire exit, door closing with a soft snick. I could chase him. But I could also nap. Not to worry, I'd find him by scent later.

To imprint it to memory I sampled the air, taking in the sour smell of the wolf and many human shoppers; then my mouth watered as Leofstan's scent reached me, I lingered before returning to filter smells. Nothing stood out significantly. Not a single thread. The spell caster hadn't even left a magical signature. What the hell?

"Are you okay?" Leofstan stepped closer cautiously, hands held like the robed man, sleeves rolled and ready to pull out magic as he scanned the shop. Seeing nothing out of the ordinary except for the fight remnants, he focussed on the bloody mound left in the centre of the linoleum. Feet came to a standstill just before the puddle began.

Saying nothing, mouth ajar slightly, he stared. He was still out of breath, a bead of sweat trickled down his temple. Watching it flow over his high cheekbone I studied the stubble on his chin.

"What happened here?" He suddenly announced, catching me off guard. I blinked rapidly at him trying to recall the question.

Furtively he gestured about, but his gaze remained fixed on me. "The amulet said you were under magical attack?"

Ah, of course, the emerald gem that had cracked; it had worked, and notified him of a magic attack. I sniffed the air again with a deep snotty inhale that was hopefully subtle enough that he wouldn't think the action odd. Nothing. I'd felt it, the gem had felt it. But why couldn't I smell it? I'd even seen the spell-caster with my own eyes, so where had the evidence gone?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

86 3 37
"So. Wild chases through the streets... near drownings... boat rides with strangers... DRAGONS of all the fool things... and intoxicated, bare-footed...
73.2K 4.2K 21
A dark twist on Faeries. For Shade, a chance meeting with a powerful Teleen faery warrior who wields electrical currents and blue fires along his sk...
2.6K 103 11
Urban Fantasy - Romantic Fantasy - Dark Fantasy - Paranormal Rory tells herself it's a trick of the light. That she can't actually see the spirits o...
17 6 29
Siobhan still dreams of becoming the world's most powerful sorcerer. But she has once again been forced to face the horrifyingly dark side of their w...