Charming In Handcuffs

By Jenleighna

Boy next door is charming. Boy next door is dangerous. Boy next door is on house arrest. * * * * * They'... More

BEFORE YOU READ!
Prologue: The Neighbor's Kid
Chapter 1: Locked Out
Chapter 2: Dirty Mind. I Like It.
Chapter 3: Just Ask
Chapter 4: Charming Disaster
Chapter 5: No One Has To Know, Remember?
Chapter 6: Girl Next Door
Chapter 7: Not Exactly Friends
Chapter 8: Can't Miss A Memory
Chapter 9: You Don't Have To Go
Chapter 10: I Can't...
Chapter 11: It's Not Worth It
Chapter 12: You Talk Too Much
Chapter 13: Trouble
Chapter 15: Something To Lose
Chapter 16: Take Care Of Her
Chapter 17: I Remember
Chapter 18: Too Much Hope
Chapter 19: Do You Want To Make It Up To Me?
Chapter 20: Everything In Between
Chapter 21: 7 Days A Week
Chapter 22: Not Even Close
Chapter 23: You Owe Me
Chapter 24: He's Worth All Of It
Chapter 25: Is There Somewhere
Chapter 26: He Told You That?
Chapter 27: We're Going For A Drive
Chapter 28: If You're Lucky
Chapter 29: Do I Get To Happy Cry Too?
Chapter 30: Who Are We Talking About?
Chapter 31: I Want To Get You Out Of Here
Chapter 32: We Could Get Caught
Chapter 33: Right Now Sounds Good To Me
Epilogue
Extra - Break-up...Make-up?
Extra - I Hate To See You Go
Extra - One of a Kind (Pt. 1)
Extra - One of a Kind (Pt. 2)
Extra - One of a Kind (Pt. 2.5)
Extra - One of a Kind (Pt. 3)
Extra - One of a Kind (Final Part)
Extra - Chapter 16: Jack's POV
Extra request!
Question time! (Please read)
EXCITING NEWS!!!!
Defending main characters
Thank you.
Something I'd like to talk about...

Chapter 14: You're Learning

294K 11.2K 5.1K
By Jenleighna

When I made it to Jack's room, I closed the door behind me. I stepped close to the door and pressed my ear against it. "What are you doing here, Paxton?" Jack's voice rang with annoyance.

            Why is he here? Does he just show up when he feels like it? I definitely didn't want to go downstairs and find out. Just the sound of his voice gave me chills and not in a good way. "What? I can't come and hang out with my favorite cousin?" I didn't have to be down there to know he was smiling.

            "I'm busy right now, I don't have time—"

            "To deal with me?"

            It went quiet for a few moments and Jack spoke, "I have a lot of work I still need to do, I don't have time to entertain you."

            "Oh, so Juliet's here? Where is she?"

            I almost threw up in my mouth.

            "She's home. She's not helping me anymore. So if you came here because you thought she was, that is borderline stalker, Pax."

            Someone barked out a loud laugh and it wasn't Jack's. Paxton was laughing. Why? "I wasn't outside her window. I don't know why she would say that." He sounded really convincing.

            Not.

            "Maybe because you were? It wouldn't surprise me after Lily—"

            "Don't you dare talk about her." Paxton's voice rose, "She has nothing to do with this." I didn't know how terrified I was of Paxton until that moment. I didn't know him, that's for sure. And I really don't want to.

            "Juliet has nothing to do with us either. Don't go near her again and don't talk about her again." The venom in Jack's voice didn't go unnoticed.

            Paxton was quiet. Jack must have really struck a nerve talking about Lily. "Go home. I have a lot to do."

            "Fine. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

            I heard Jack say whatever, followed by the closing of the front door. I stood up quickly and ran to Jack's bed. I sat down on the edge, pretending I was looking down at my nails the whole time. When the door opened, Jack nudged his head towards the stairs. I got up and followed him this time. He was quiet and I didn't want to push anything. It's not like he would've told me. So, I kept what new knowledge I had and didn't say a word.

            We sat in silence while Jack looked for a movie. He found one and waited for my approval. I really didn't care about which movie we watched. I probably wouldn't be able to focus on it because I stay in my head.

            Jack seemed to Notice and he tugged on my hand, "Come here."

            I moved from my spot and scooted closer to him. He pulled me against his side and I rested my head against his shoulder. Was what I'm doing stupid? Probably. Did I care? Not in that moment.

            As the movie went on, I eventually rested my head in Jack's lap. I felt his fingers move against my arm, slowly making their way into my hair. He brushed the hair away from my neck, slowly walking his fingers across the exposed skin. I saw him out of the corner of my eye and noticed he was still watching the movie. I'm glad he was more into it than I was.

            When the movie ended, the sun was no longer in the sky. I sat up and stretched out my arms before standing up. "I need to get home before my grandparents start calling me like crazy."

            Jack nodded and we walked to the door. He stopped me before I could open it and pulled me towards him, "Are you okay?" I asked softly.

            "For now." He smiled weakly, "Paxton is just a pain in my ass."

            "I wasn't going to ask."

            "I know." His smile turned into a crooked grin, "You're learning."

            "I don't like it, Jack."

            He leaned forward, pressing a kiss to my forehead, "I know that, too." He gathered me in his arms, hugging me tightly. Something that's potentially wrong, felt so right.

            I returned the hug, wrapping my arms gently around his torso because of his bruises. I breathed him in, squeezing my eyes shut. For a moment, I forgot where I was. Jack was holding me and it felt right. It all felt right.

            Too good to be true kind of thing. And I didn't want this feeling to be ripped away from me like I'm scared it will be. I didn't know what this thing with Jack was. If that whatever this is even lasts a month. But the thought of losing him right now made my chest tighten with worry. I do know I like Jack. More than I ever expected to like him.

            We've been neighbors my whole life basically and we've barely talked. Maybe in Elementary, but other than that, we couldn't stand each other. Or at least I thought.

            Starting my freshman year in high school, Jack made it his goal to torment me anyway he could. It wasn't bullying. More like, teasing...which is exactly what he said. He sat behind me in English and tugged on my ponytail any chance he got like he was back in Kindergarten. He'd make faces at me when he passed by me in the halls like a child.

            I've never thought about Jack in any other way besides an annoyance that seemed to follow me everywhere. And when I left that high school to go to a private school, I didn't see him much. I saw him when he left for school and when he came home. Or when he played basketball with a couple of his friends. Other than that, we never, ever talked.

            That all seemed to change quickly. And all because I was a dumbass that lost her keys and couldn't get into her house. I'm kind of glad I was locked out.

            "Don't worry so much." Jack held my face in his hands, his thumbs brushing along my cheeks.

            "If you knew me, you'd know that's not possible."

            He nodded his head. Maybe he did know me a bit better than I thought. "What are you doing tomorrow?"

            I was a little relieved he changed the subject, but it's how he avoids talking about anything. "I'm going to the lake with Lindy and the twins. But I can come over when I get back?"      

            He smiled sadly, "Yeah, sure."

            I opened the door and stepped outside. I turned around just to give Jack a small wave before walking over to my house. Everyone was home now. How to explain I've been gone all day shouldn't be a problem though. They know I've been with Lindy today and Lindy and James are the only ones that know about my arrangement with Jack. And they're also the only ones that know how I feel about him. It was impossible to lie to Lindy.

            The house was quiet when I stepped inside. I was a little relieved to know my grandparents were already in bed to avoid questions. It's hard to lie to them when they've given me so much. If it weren't for them, I probably wouldn't be the person I am today.

            I walked up the stairs and the moment I reached the landing, James came out of one of the guest rooms. "Thought I heard you." His smile reached his eyes. It was kind of nice someone looked forward to me coming home.

            "It's been quite the interesting night." I turned away so I could walk into my room. James followed behind closely.

            "It's about to get a bit more interesting." He said.

            "What?"

            He pointed to my desk and I turned to face it. A large white box tied with a turquoise bow filled the area of my desk. "What the..." I stepped in front of my desk and ran my fingers along the edge of the box. "Who's it from?"

            James stepped beside me and I faced him. He let his shoulders fall into a shrug, "It was delivered while you were gone. Found it when I came home. The card says it's for you."

            I plucked the small white card that was tucked under the bow and unfolded it. It had my name on it and that was it. Didn't say whom it was from or even where it came from.

            I pulled apart the bow and unraveled it from the box. I sucked in a breath and lifted the lid. Whatever it was was tucked away in the same colored paper that the bow was. I pulled the paper back to see what was inside. The turquoise fabric was a silk, I can tell by the shine.

            On top of it, was another card. I opened this card and it read, "Saw this and thought of you. It'll bring out the green in your eyes. Wear it to this event." And the longer card behind it was an invitation. It was a charity event at a hotel on the other side of Atlanta. The event is Friday at eight.

            "Who is it?" I almost forgot James was standing there until he spoke.

            "Doesn't say." I answered.

            I handed James the card and went to pick up the dress. I slowly pulled it out, letting the length of it hit the floor.

            It was beautiful.

            The dress was strapless and loosely hung to the floor. The vibrant turquoise shined in silk like I expected. "It's...gorgeous." I looked at James and he was still studying the card.

            "It looks like you have a secret admirer." James grinned and placed the card back in the box.

            "It's kind of weird if you ask me." I mumbled.

            "Maybe it's from the Michael dude."

            I guess that's possible. But so is Paxton. And this has Paxton's name written all over it. "Maybe." I didn't want to share my theory, because I could be wrong. I don't think I am though. 

            "You gonna go?"

            We both just looked down at the dress and then I felt his stare, "I don't know." I tore my eyes away from the dress and looked at him, "They could be dangerous. Seriously dangerous."

            "It's at an event, so I don't think they could actually do anything out in the open. But if it's Michael, I doubt you have to worry." Something about the last part of his statement made me want to laugh. James could easily take Michael, there's no question.

            "I don't want to go alone."

            James's lips turned up into a small smile, "I think I can make it Friday."

            My heart fluttered, "No, I wouldn't ask you—"

            "I want to. And I get to wear a suit and tie."

            "You would really do that?"

            "Of course."   

            Maybe this was out of Paxton's league. But if it wasn't Paxton, then there's no one else I can think of. And the only reason I want to go is to find out. And this person must know me to know my eye color. I know very few people that would care about the green flecks in my eyes.

            Actually, I know no one that cares about the color of my eyes.

            Instead of over thinking it, I wrapped my arms around James and squeezed him gently. "Thank you."

            He wrapped his arms around me in return, hugging me tightly. "This summer hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be."   

            I pulled away and looked up at him, "Definitely hasn't been boring."

            I went to bed when James left my room and was haunted with the thought about who could be waiting for me on Friday.

The lake was...well, the lake. Of course, it was empty. And Lindy decided it was a good idea to invite Dylan. I guess it wasn't so bad because now James isn't the only guy. It was quite amusing because you could tell James didn't really like him.

            And when Dylan started talking to me about Michael, James played the boyfriend card again. It worked...until I was left alone with Dylan. I wish Michael would take the hint that I'm not interested anymore. I looked back at my Michael fascination and gag.

            I basically stayed on my towel the whole time catching up on my summer reading. That was until James decided it would be funny to attack me after getting out of the lake. "It's what boyfriends do." Is what he said and then proceeded to pick me up and attempt to throw me in the lake.

            Keyword: attempt.

            It didn't go over well.

            But overall, it was fun. Jack was on my mind a lot. And I hate to admit that I actually missed him today. I hate that he couldn't be here to enjoy the fun.

            After my shower when we got home, I went into the kitchen to help my grandma cook. She always had a brilliant smile on her face when she cooked. It was one of the many things she's good at. She asked about my weekend and I asked about hers. "You've been hanging out with James a lot lately." She turned to me and smiled.

            "Yeah, he's a fun to be around. Meredith too."

            "Good. I'm glad to see you having fun." She pecked my cheek and pulled out plates from the cabinet. I walked into the dining room and set the table for dinner.

            My grandparents never asked questions. I always said it's because they trust me. And they've told me many times that they do. And they never expect me to get into any trouble.

            I think my grandma would drop where she stands if she knew about Jack.

            I helped clean up quickly after dinner so I could get to Jack's. I went upstairs and changed out of my lazy clothes and into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. And when my grandparents finally went to bed, I bolted. I didn't talk to James on the way out because he already fell into the routine.

            I was eager to see him. Excited.

            I didn't bother taking my time and walked at a fast pace to make it to his front door. I rang the doorbell and waiting patiently, rocking back and forth on my heels.

            Jack finally opened the door and his eyebrows rose in surprise. "I didn't think you'd come over this late. I already did the work—"

            "I didn't come here to help you with your work."

            He opened the door wider and let me in. We stood in the foyer and all of a sudden, nervousness seeped into my system. "You didn't have to come so late." His voice was soft. He slowly paced towards me and stopped at an arms length. I wanted him closer but I kept my hands at my side.

            "I thought about you all day." I blurted.

            Jack let out a nervous laugh and rubbed the back of his neck, "This is that honesty thing you were talking about?"

            "That was me embarrassing myself." I felt the blush creep up my neck and burning my cheeks. "But for what it's worth, I missed you today."

            Jack reached towards me, wrapping his hand around mine and he pulled me close. He enclosed me in his arms and I could finally breathe. I closed my eyes and snaked my arms around his torso. He pressed his face against my neck and left a small kiss before pulling away.

            I still had my arms wrapped around his torso as I looked up at him, "Can we talk?" I whispered like someone could hear us if I was too loud.

            Jack led me into the living room and we sat down on the couch. I turned my body to the side so I could face him easier. I went into the story about the mysterious white box that was left for me yesterday. And by the look on his face when I was talking about it, he had no idea. "Do you think it was Paxton?"

            He hesitated, but shook his head, "I don't think so. Anything is possible with Paxton though."

            It fell quiet because I was lost in thought. If it wasn't Paxton, then I had no idea who the hell this could possibly be from. And I had no idea what I was going to be walking into. "Are you going to go?"

            "I think so."

            "I'd go with you if I could." The tinge of sadness in his voice made my chest swell.

            I placed a hand on his arm and smiled, "I know." I didn't want to mention James going yet. "Can I ask you something? I know you're going to get mad, but it's been eating at me since yesterday."

            Jack raised a brow, "Go ahead."

            "Um, yesterday when you were talking to Paxton—"

            Jack let out a loud laugh, "I knew you were listening."

            "And I didn't ask anything. But I am now."

            Jack made the gesture with his hand to continue, "Who's Lily?"

            "Juliet, we talked about this—"

            "I know. And I'm not asking questions about what you did. I'm just asking about the person that made Paxton want to bite your head off."

            His eyes softened and he let out a long sigh, "Lily was Paxton's girlfriend. I feel like calling her his girlfriend is an understatement."

            "Was?" I swallowed.

            Jack bobbed his head, "She was killed last year. Tore Paxton apart."

            I didn't know what Lily had to do with them, but it must have been serious. I felt kind of bad for asking. I didn't know how close Jack was with her, so I hope I didn't bring up any memories. "That's horrible." I mumbled.

            "There's something else I think you should know also." Jack said.        

            This wasn't expected. Jack actually willing to tell me information was like a treat. I didn't have to pull for this one. "What?"

            "Paxton...he's not really my cousin."

 —————————————-

This was one of those chapters I couldn't stop writing once I started, hahaha.

Any theories on who this person could be?

It's gonna get crazy, that is all. :)))))

Hope you liked the chapter!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

301K 6K 53
She's the girl that I want to spend my life with. She's the one who's making me damn crazy. She's Darlene Michelle Miranda.
179K 7K 50
- Sequel to Only on camera - In which, They both question if they will ever find their way back to each other
135K 4.8K 60
An Indian brother-sister/family story. The Singhania family is the most prestigious family in the country. Together, they seemed to be invincible...
277K 6.7K 99
In which Delphi Reynolds, daughter of Ryan Reynolds, decides to start acting again. ACHEIVEMENTS: #1- Walker (1000+ stories) #1- Scobell (53 stories)...