In the name of love || ONC2023

De GandalfofspaceAnli

B, powerful entity, in charge of doling out punishments and maintaining law and order in TCHM, aka The Centra... Mais

Author's Note
Chapter 0.5
Chapter 1: Wei WuXian
Chapter 2: Lan Zhan
Chapter 3: Wei WuXian
Chapter 4: Lan Zhan
Chapter 5: Wei WuXian
Chapter 6.5
Chapter 7: Wei WuXian
Chapter 8: Lan Zhan
Chapter 8.5
Chapter 9: Wei WuXian
Chapter 10: Lan Zhan
Chapter 10.5
Chapter 11: Wei WuXian
Chapter 12: Lan Zhan
Chapter 12.5
Chapter 13: Wei WuXian
Chapter 14: Lan Zhan
Chapter 14.5

Chapter 6: Lan Zhan

86 20 35
De GandalfofspaceAnli

Lan Zhan's POV

Location: Earth. 69th Dimension.

Walking out, I found Kamloon waiting for me. Somehow, I already knew he would. The creature seemed ecstatic. I wasn't aware it was capable of such complex displays of emotions.

"Light-bearer, I hope you have taken care of what you needed to." He slithered next to me.

I nodded. "Mn."

"That's good to hear." It slithered closer, "I will now explain what is expected of you if you want to win back your lover's life. Are you ready?" It asked, getting straight to the matter at hand.

"Speak."

He swayed like he had drunk ale not long ago and spoke cryptically, "I didn't warn you earlier. I wouldn't repeat that mistake again."

"Mn."

A low, menacing laugh almost made it lose its form. "I wonder how the Grandmaster used to put up with you. You are strong and resilient, Light-bearer, but interesting you are not."

"Don't mention him. You are not worthy." I snapped.

A sinister smirk settled on its mouth, "You let him die, Second Jade of Lan. If anyone, it is you who is unworthy, don't you think?"

It was right. I had failed Wei Ying. I never deserved him. He died because of me.

"Do not fret, Light-bearer. You can undo your mistake." Saying so, it stopped dead in its tracks and turned to face me. "As I was saying, I will transport you to where you will meet your opponent. You will be discomforted for a few moments. Ignore it, for it is a mere side-effect of having a golden core. Your primordial body is vibrating with energy; it will take a little time for your body to accept its new surroundings."

"Mn," I replied and readied myself by taking a deep breath and letting it circulate throughout my body. I had had enough of the stench that would surround me soon.

The creature clicked his tongue once, engulfing us in thick green flames. I was confident that it wouldn't be able to touch me, but I was wrong. Even though I had stopped taking air in my lungs, the smoke accompanying the flames found its way into my core. Holding back tears that threatened to escape my eyes, at bay, I waited for the torture to stop.

Just before my body was about to shut down, the flames disappeared. My core was free once again. But there was something different. I felt eyes on me, but my senses assured me that I was alone, barring Kamloon, who was beaming like he had been granted his heart's desire.

When my eyes adjusted to the dark, I was at a place I had vowed never to return to Evernight. I had lost Wei Ying here years ago after he was wrongfully accused of using demonic cultivation to harm innocent people, and aggrieved, he had jumped off the very cliff I was standing on now.

"Light-bearer, you know this place, I presume?" Kamloon asked, its tone suggesting it knew what had transpired here seventeen years ago.

"Mn." I suppressed the ill feeling taking over my senses. "Why here?" I demanded.

It searched my eyes. "I need you to prove that you can take orders without asking questions."

I replied with an "Mn." after a moment's silence.

The creature clicked its tongue approvingly and thus began a waiting period. Approximately ten rabbit heartbeats later, a mirror made itself known. It floated midair, a few meters off the edge of the mountain.

I walked to the edge and peered down. The valley below was known to be cursed. Any soul who wandered there came out tainted forever. It didn't scare me anymore; nothing did now that I didn't have Wei Ying, the one I had vowed to protect and failed.

"Light-bearer, let me make you aware of what is expected of you."

"Mn."

The creature slithered closer. "I really hope you learn how to express yourself, Light-bearer,"

The restlessness, which was playing havoc with and compromising my mental capacity and the balance of my core, intensified, "It will come in handy when you try and make your companion fall in love with you."

I listened carefully till the words 'Fall in love with you' fell from his toothless mouth. It took me a moment to comprehend the meaning, and when I did, the rage I had kept under wraps reared its ugly head. I reached for Bichen; moving swiftly, I brought its naked, gleaming edge uncomfortably close to the Kamloon's chest. "Don't test me, vile thing. I am more powerful than I look." It didn't seem to frighten the creature like before.

Not only did The Kamloon stand its ground, it glided closer. And as it did, an unknown push forced me to step back. "What did you do to me!?" I glowered, and it shrugged, "Light-bearer, you gave me your word. For the next fortnight, you need to comply with all the rules. Your word is your oath. Are you going to break it, Light-bearer?"

I understood then what the thing had made me do. The realization crushed my confidence. My pride. "What happens if I break it?"

"Do you really want to find out? I am giving you a chance to be with your soulmate again. I have seen your stars; they tell me that a long, lonely, guilt-ridden future is all that life has in store for you. The choice is yours, if you are successful, you will have your sorcerer next to you till the end of your time in the mortal realm, but if you fail, you will die knowing that you tried to grab him back from the fates. His soul will be free to meet his family in the heavenly realm. However, if you break the vow, I will trap his soul and drag it to hell. A fate worse than death, won't you say?"

If the cost was my life, I would have gladly paid it to break the vow, but that was not what was on the line now. A multitude of emotions created havoc inside me. I needed to do this, I realized that, but how? To make someone fall in love was no easy task. It had taken Wei Ying falling to his death for me to understand what I felt for him was love, that I was in love with him all those years ago. Even then, on his return, he had interpreted my love for him as a strange mix of regret and pity.

At that moment, it struck me that I had made a rash move. I should have taken my time considering the offer. But the deed was done now. There was no going back.
A feeble voice inside my head showed me the mirror: You are kidding yourself if you think you can make a stranger fall in love with you, Lan Zhan!

"I will keep my word. Be specific. What exactly do I need to do to get Wei Ying back?"

The Kamloon shifted its weight from tail to tail to tail. It had three deformed ones. I was tempted to get rid of them, but I pushed the thought to the back of my mind. I had to make sure not to fall into his trap again.

"I am glad that we are on the same page now." It looked past me and swayed, "It's almost time, Light-bearer. Remember, there are three goals that you must attain to win the prize: your sorcerer's life." It holds up three of its six mangled fingers, "First, make him fall in love with you. Second, watch the sunrise with him, and third, the moment I reappear before you, pierce his heart with your mighty sword."

A dull ache crept into my heart as soon as it finished. I could live with the first two conditions, but what of the third? "Is he a good man?" I asked, hoping for the stranger to be a villain. A tyrant. An abuser. Someone who deserves to die.

"Yes, he is a good man."

Of course, with my luck, I should have seen the reply come from a mile away. "Why do you need me to kill an innocent man?"

"Why should I tell you that?"

"Mn." I nodded and rephrased, "What will happen if I fulfill the first two goals and fail to accomplish the last one?"

"Then he will return to where he came from. Unless -" It left the sentence unfinished.

When I raised a brow, it added, "If you don't kill him, I will release your sorcerer's soul."

"I think I understand." I breathed out. Feeling utterly and truly defeated, I asked. "So, what do I need to do?"

"Five."

I look at the creature questioningly, "Five, what?"

"Four." It gestured to me to walk off the edge, and I did as told without question.

"Three." It swirled its finger as if it had hurt itself and expected me to blow on it. I understood that it wanted me to touch the mirror. What lay on the other side didn't scare me; I followed the instructions. It made the mirror ripple like water, inviting me in.

"Two." It squeaked, opening its mouth, pulling in air like a fish out of water. Maybe the place I was going to needed me to hold my breath. I mimicked the creature, knowing well what came next.

Kamloon wanted me to dive into the mirror.

Was I scared of what the future held?

Yes.

Did I want to go through with it, especially the part that demanded I take a life?

No.

But I had no choice.

"One." Kamloon chirped, pointing at the mirror, and as I dived in, head first, I told myself one thing, 'I had to do, and I would, all, in the name of love.'

Splash!

*****
Chapter Word Count: 1648
Word Count so far: 11373

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

115K 8K 29
[First place winner Eunoia Awards WangXian category July 2021] After being apart for years, Lan Zhan and Wei Ying are reunited, finally starting thei...
49K 5.7K 56
The Cultivation world is in chaos as Wen Rouhan inches across clan territories looking for cultivators with abnormal cores. But why? Does the secret...
56.7K 3.2K 21
*Present Time FF* "I'm freeing you Lan Wangji. I was just playing with you. I was just killing my time. Now I'm done so I'm breaking up with you...
267K 10K 44
Book 1 of the supernatural world series "Hey! Get down you may slip and die!!" . . "Don't worry about me I'm already dead!" _____ An ancient vampire...