His Duchess [Completed]

By shaerzam

Highest rank on romance hot list: #5. She is called The Ice Queen, due to her stoic non-readable features and... More

Prologue
Chapter 1-Rare Beauty [E] (Background info about the family)
Chapter 2-Shopping [E]
Chapter 3 The First Run-in [E]
Chapter 4-The Surprise Meeting [E]
Chapter 5-Silence [E]
Chapter 6- Curiousity [E]
Chapter 7- Closer Look [E]
Chapter 8- Meeting The Parents [E]
Chaper 9-His Desires [E]
Chapter 10- Feels So Right [E]
Chapter 11- Day dreamer [E]
Chapter 12-The King And His Queen [E]
Chapter-13 Miss Independant [E]
Chapter 14- His Kindred [E]
Chapter 15- Calm Before The Storm [E]
Chapter 16- ER [E]
Chapter 17- Hide than seek [E]
Chapter 18- Let It Go [E]
Chapter 19- Hope [E]
Chapter 20-First Kiss [E]
Chapter 21- First Date [E]
Chapter 22- Irresistible [E]
Chapter 23- Dream Catcher [E]
Chapter 24- Hard To Get [E]
Chapter 25-He's In Love [E]
Chapter 26- The Heart Wants What It Wants [E]
Chapter 28- Surprise Part 1 [E]
Chapter 29-Surprise Part 2 [E]
Chapter 30- The Dress [E]
Chapter 31- Beginning Of A End [E]
Chapter 32-Amnesia [E]
Chapter 33- The Wedding Part 1 [E]
Chapter 34- The Wedding Part 2 [E]
Chapter 35- The Wedding Part 3 [E]
Chapter 36- Misery Loves Company [E]
Chapter 37-Worth It [E]
Chapter 38- Epiphany [E]
Chapter 39- Auction Date [E]
Chapter 40- Mystery Solved [E]
Chapter 41- Second Chances [E]
Chapter 42- Revenge [E]
Chapter 43-Ashes [E]
Chapter 44-Sealing My Fate [E]
Chapter 45- Wedding Plans [E]
Chapter 46- A Winter Wonderland [E]
Chapter 47-Pure Bliss [E]
Epilogue [E]
His Camelia-Now COMPLETED...

Chapter 27- Love [E]

81.9K 3.5K 44
By shaerzam

They got back late last night from Hawaii and she avoided eye contact with all her family members.

During the flight, Annie purposefully ignored all the questioning stares.  With her standoffish attitude and demeanor, no one dared approach her willingly.   She didn't want to be bothered or talked to and so she ignored everyone and laid back slightly in her chair, not looking back once.  She did not know where Julien sat or with who while Annie was seated in the very front, next to the window with her ear plugs, listening to music.  She was being stubborn but didn't care.

Julien knew she was angry with him, yet again.  The plane ride was quiet as everyone in their party laid back in their chairs and rested or slept.  

He understood she needed more time alone with him without curious or knowing stares but he couldn't help himself.  He needed to show her that he was serious with his intentions.  Annie was compliant at times, giving into her needs and wants and at other times she fought him and the undeniable attraction brewing between them.  Every time Julien thought he broke down more of her walls, the more she built to shelter herself. 

Julien was having enough of it.  He couldn't wait any longer.  He couldn't get enough of her, the more he touched her, held her, the more he realized he would not live without her. The more she fought him and pushed away the more he wanted her.  Julien felt like he was under a spell, this obsession with Annie just intensified his feelings for her. 

She was a challenge, and well worth the effort. 

When he was with her, she made him feel like a king.  She made him feel alive, giving him hope for the future when he never had any. Annie was the woman of his dreams coming true. Julien couldn't imagine in his wildest dreams a more perfect, more truer woman than her. His perfect match in every way. 

And Julien meant what he said to her father and to her afterwards, he wouldn't stop until she was fully his–heart, body and soul....
*******
It was Monday morning, as Annie sat in her desk scanning over reports, sighing loudly and placing the file down. Documents were scattered all over her desk.  Pretending to work was not helping steer her mind from wandering to the previous nights events.

She felt like it was all so complicated, her life. She hated it. It was spiraling out of control in front of her very own eyes.  And no one was there to catch her.

A soft knock on the door interrupted Annie's thoughts. The door started opening and a large bouquet of red roses came into view held by Joe.

"Hey Miss. T, these were just dropped off for you."

Annie's eyebrows rose in confusion. Joe placed the bouquet on her coffee table and caught her expression. "Something wrong, honey? You look pale and exhausted..."

Rubbing her eyes tiredly Annie shook her head. "No, I'm okay, just a lot on my mind. Did you catch who they're from?" Eyeing the beautifully breathtaking roses. She could smell their potent essence start to perfume her office with their inviting sweet aroma.

Before Joe could respond, their heads turned at the same time at the knock against her door. A delivery man stood in the slightly open doorway.

"Excuse me." The man said, clearing his throat. "I have a delivery for Miss. Angelica Taverron." He said, glancing down at his clip board.

Joe came up to him and signed for the delivery. The man stepped out for a moment coming back with a large bouquet of white and pink lilies in a glittered-gold vase. Joe indicated the table as the delivery man placed it down and left quietly.

"These are gorgeous!" He exclaimed with a smile. Joe turned witnessing the confusion written all over her face. "Don't frown honey, it'll give you wrinkles. What's the matter?" Crossing his arms across his chest.

"What are the flowers for? I'm confused. Am I missing something?" She asked breathlessly. Her eyes suddenly felt heavy, the pressure in her head making her feel tired and disoriented. The stress was really getting to her now.

"Oh. My. God. You don't have any idea do you? I can't believe it. Where's your head girl? They're for your birthday!" He said laughing. "These flowers are probably the first of many to come from your million of admirers." Giving her a wink.

A O formed on her pouty lips as the realization sunk in. "My birthday is on Wednesday."

Joe huffed in annoyance. "So? Trust me they'll keep coming until then. Enjoy it! Your office is going to smell like a botanical garden!"

Annie gave him a small smile. Joe's enthusiasm was always a welcoming distraction.  He was so cheerful, loving life, finding joy in the littlest things.  She envied his attitude.  Annie felt like she's been too stuffy and uptight lately. 

"My family celebrated my 'birthday' while we were in Hawaii." Annie pursed her lips, informing him grumpily.

"Double the celebration, honey. It's not over till the day passes...Happy 25th!" Joe exclaimed happily ignoring her sour mood and swiftly left her office closing the door softly behind him.

Joe sat back in his office chair. "You're in for the surprise of your life honey, just you wait...." A knowing secret smile crossing his face.

*******
Annie was dreading the talk she knew was coming after leaving he office early and going directly home. As she parked her car and entered the house, surprised to hear her father's voice. She figured he was still at work. It sounded like he was speaking to her mother when she made it to his study and found it slightly ajar.

Annie gently knocked lightly before entering, finding her mother and father lounging on the arm chairs in front of the low burning fireplace and drinking coffee. They halted their conversation upon hearing her enter. They both turned and smiled, motioning her to join them.

Here goes nothing, she thought. Knowing the inevitable conversation was going to arise.

"Hi sweetheart! How was work?" Her mother asked with a bright smile. "Would you like some coffee?" Pointing to the coffee tray on the table between them. 

Annie gulped heavily. From the looks of her parents faces they appeared to be in good spirits. She was so nervous now her palms were sweating. Annie supplied them with a tight smile.

"Good, and no thank you, I had enough at work." Was all she said, not confident in suppling anything more. The suspense was tearing her apart, wanting to know what they were going to say, or most especially what her father, was going to say about last evenings events.

Patrick cleared his throat as Annie made her way to one of the chairs across from them. "Julien came to me yesterday, as you know, and informed me of his vast interest in you."

Patrick was known to be direct, and Annie expected it, but hearing him speak about Julien and herself she stiffened. It felt like her heart stopped and time stood still. It was so quiet Annie felt like she was internally suffocating. She did not reply, her only answer to his statement was to keep quiet, not knowing what to say.

Patrick continued, "How do you feel about him? He informed me about how he feels for you and now I want to know what your feelings are."

Annie wished the ground would swallow her whole. She was speechless, her mind a flustered mess. She wasn't prepared for this yet.

What should she say? That she thinks she's falling for Julien and may even love him? Or that the man is persistent and won't take no for a answer...? It was embarrassing enough that her family knows about the both of them so suddenly.  She wanted more time to know him without outside interference.  Their relationship was still so young to be exposed so suddenly.  Annie just shrugged her shoulders, her face flaming in heat, feeling like a child that got caught stealing a cookie from the cookie jar.

Speaking to her father directly was intimidating.  It was hard to decipher what he was thinking.  He was a very critical, authoritative man.  All she had ever wanted was his approval.  But the recent turn he had taken with Cici's announcement, the subject would be delicate she was sure. 

Charlotte and Patrick shared bewildered looks. They glanced back and noticed her discomfort.

"Angelica, sweetheart, it's okay to confide in us, we are your parents and we're looking out for your best interest. You need to tell us. Do you like him? Can you envision a future with him? Are his affections one sided? You are our daughter and whatever you have to say will stay in this room between us." Charlotte continued as Annie stayed silent watching them cautiously. "You've never showed interest in anybody before and you're not getting younger. Your father and I want you to have someone in your life to love and care for you. The both of us want to see you happy..."

Patrick nodded his agreement to his wife's declaration.

Her mother on the other hand was more open minded, and what she told her last night when they spoke briefly was hard to say to her father's face.  Charlotte raised her eyebrows and nudged her head toward her father as if to say, tell him what you told me last night...

She twisted her fingers together, her nervousness skyrocketing. It was unavoidable, might as well and let it out in the open. "Yes. I have feelings for him and I can envision a future with him." Her words rushing out in a clipped tone.  I have already dreamt the future, she wanted to add but thought better to keep it to herself.

Her mother clapped happily and her father nodded again as he stroked his chin thoughtfully.

"Angelica, is that all you have to say?  Do you love him perhaps?"  Her mother inquired, while Annie turned a darker shade of pink.  "Don't be shy!"

She was no open book, and she wasn't about to admit that personal information to them until the time was right.  She cared a lot for him and loved him, but was she in-love with him? Her feelings confused her. She was lost.

"He's quite the determined man..." Patrick started. Annie's eyes widened, now blatantly curious as to what Julien said him. "He's also very well respected and very successful. His family is one of our most closest friends. I like him and I can see his feelings for you are very genuine. Now, I don't know how this all began, but you have my support as well as your mothers. I trust your judgement and if you deem him worthy to be by your side as your husband...one day..."

Annie held her breath.

"...Then you have our blessing."

Annie's mouth opened in shock. She couldnt believe what she was hearing! Her father, approves? He didn't even interrogate her or argue.

Husband? 

What did Julien say?  He couldn't have already asked her father for her hand in marriage, did he? 

Annie's head was spinning with questions.  She was sure she looked just as shocked as she felt.  Annie remembers Julien declaration but it was still hard to believe she was hearing her father speak so openly. 

Patrick chuckled at his daughters expression. "What, did you think I would put up a fight?" He asked with a raised eyebrow, scooting to the edge of his seat. "You are the most sensible of all your siblings. Your mind works in different ways, my dear. And so, I know when you make a decision: You're making the right one. Besides...someone once told me, I need to let go...It's hard to admit, but I know you kids need to have a life too and I can't stand in the way of that. Your mother and I won't be around forever..." Patrick stopped his speech and stood. His last sentence was said a bit gruffly.  Annie rose, closing the short distance between them and embraced her father.

"Don't talk like that..."  Annie mumbled against his shoulder and Patrick squeezed her tighter against him.  Annie shifted, holding out one of her arms to her mother who had also stood and embraced them both.   "I love you both..."  

A sense of loss already hung heavily in their chests. Their children were moving on and starting their own lives.

"Eventually the princess moved out of the castle and went into another line of work, but her dad is still a king...and always will be...."  Annie repeated her father's favorite quote.  Patrick and Charlotte laughed and kissed their daughter lovingly. 

"Go on now, no need to charm your father,"  Patrick said with a wink.  "You must be exhausted from the looks of your eyes, get some rest, your mother will inform you when dinner is ready."

"I love you daddy..."  Annie whispered.  "Thank you."

Her fathers approval meant the world to her.  Annie knew her mother was very understanding and accepting but to hear her fathers acceptance made a great weight lift from her shoulders.  Had she known it was going to be this easy she would have approached them earlier.  Annie silently thanked Sonny and Cici for paving the way.  Having two children already toward marriage made the third one less strenuous.

"Love you too mom."  Kissing her mother lightly on the cheek. 

"We love you more, sweetheart."  Charlotte smiled as she wiped a tear that escaped her eyes.  Annie let them be and made her way towards the study's door, but remembered something and turned back, "Dad?  What did Julien say to you exactly?" 

"Don't worry about what he said, that's for me to know and you to find out, from him. Actions speak louder than words...remember that Annie."  Patrick advised.

Annie felt a sliver of annoyance rush through her but ignored it and just nodded and made her way upstairs taking two steps at a time. 

No hiding, no more secret rendezvouses. It was all out in the open now. Moving forward was the only option. Annie dried her long hair in the towel she held after taking a long relaxing shower. Her reflection in the mirror was one of happiness and relief. A large weight lifted off her shoulders now that she and Julien were exclusive.

Love. It's blind they say. But was Annie truly in love with Julien? Or was it lust and desire? She mused as her reflection stared back at her unwavering.

Annie was terrified of the rush of emotions she felt. Julien didn't force her feelings, he brought them out of her naturally. He had never given her a reason to doubt him.

Love means giving someone the chance to love you and trusting them not to hurt you.

Annie was easily reminded of his actions toward her. His actions met up with his words but she has yet to hear him utter those three words she so desperately wanted to hear...

Was her mother right...did he love her like a man loves a woman? She knew deep down she already had the answers to her own questions.

It was up to her to start believing...
****
"Congratulations mate! When should we expect the wedding?"  Duncan joked, laughing out loud at Julien's irritated expression. 

They were home lounging on the patio overlooking a breath taking view of the city.  Julien slowly sipped his iced tea, while he and Duncan conversed about the events that occurred the following evening. 

"We are just learning about one another, the beginning stages so to speak.  What makes you believe you are about to hear wedding bells anytime soon?" 

"The lass is a fine beauty, if I were you I wouldn't wait too long, mate.  Impeccable reputation, pure hearted, well respected, well raised, the list goes on.  Besides you canna hide it from me, uncle Victor already informed the family of the good news."  Duncan said smirking, a twinkle of merriment in his eyes.  "You don't have to say anything, from the looks of it you've fallen for the lass." 

Julien shook his head.  His old friend was relentless. Sighing he looks straight ahead "Yes I love her.  Yes I want to marry her.  Satisfied?  I'm in no mood for your teasing."  Julien turned his threatening stare towards his friends toothy grin. 

"All I want to know is when did this happen?" 

Julien clenched his jaw tightly.  Julien did not want to speak of his personal life.  He did not want to speak at all. All he wanted was his duchess here beside him. 

He craved her. 

He was addicted to her. 

A day passing without seeing her was like drinking poison–it burned his insides.  His skin itched with the need to barge into her household and seek her, hold her, feel her.  It was overwhelming and frustrating. 

Julien wanted nothing more than to kidnap her and keep her to himself without any interference until he appeased his starving eyes; learn her secrets, learn her weaknesses, make sweet love to her body endlessly; to make her feel worshipped like a Queen.  And above all, make her believe they were meant for each other.  If she would only pull away the layers she'd built around herself and allow him to enter her senses and come to terms and accept what is between them is real, than she would be set free of the shackles of doubt clouding her mind.

All in good time, he chanted in his head, calming his inner beast. 

All in good time..
____________________________________________________________

Thank you all for reading.  Again, a big thanks to the voters, your support means the world to me, you know who you are

Please vote, comment. 

Thanks, Shaz

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

790K 43.1K 46
Little did he know, her flame couldn't be put out. And little did she know. . .Cristiano always won. ********************************************...
571 48 16
Tati is all grown up and her own woman. Tabloids refer to her as the ice princess because they think she is cold hearted and because a man she loved...
2K 76 17
Victoria Duval lives a simple life. On what is supposed to be one of the happiest days of her life, a grandmother shows up....and not just any grandm...
66.2K 2.8K 31
you can see it on Amazon Kindle... In the heart of Victorian London lives a girl names Katherine Davis. She is the real life Cinderella yet she was d...