How to find a Husband in 100...

By MelonDiaries

TO BE REVISED. DRAFT. Michelle Newman had finally caught her break when her father named her the new Presiden... More

Author's Note
Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Ninteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty One
Epilogue
Author's Note: Acknowledgments

Thirty

12.3K 518 13
By MelonDiaries

I grunted as I sat on the stool by the bar counter. I waved my hand to grab the attention of the bartender but the effort was wasted since he was already walking towards me. He had a huge smug look on his face as he stop in front of you.

"Rough night?" Vince asked cheekily as he looked at me in amusement.

"Yes. But for once, this isn't about my dating life," I replied dryly, rolling my eyes at his playful manner.

"Really? One of your girlfriends caught you sleeping with their ex's?" he guessed teasingly.

"Ew. No. I'm actually currently sleeping with a man my friends thought was my enemy," I snorted and replied nonchalantly.

"Ah! Sleeping with the enemy. That is a big blow," he shook his head in disapproval as he grabbed a glass behind him and filled it with a beer. "I think this is what you came here for," he stated as he placed the glass in front of me.

"A beer? Really? I don't drink that you know," I stared at the glass with distaste.

"Try it. You might like the beer. You did sleep with your enemy and you thought you wouldn't tap those," he suggested.

I glared at him from his on point analogy, but didn't dare say a comeback. He was right. I stared at the glass for another moment and took an experimental sip. Vince watched me under his scrutiny and raised his eyebrow at my actions.

"What?" I asked as I stared back in question.

"Drink it, Mitch," he instructed with exasperation before excusing himself to attend another customer.

I stared at his retreating back for a moment before looking away and eyed the glass on my hand. I studied the champagne colored drink for another second and then took another sip. When I've gotten used to the flavor, I drank a mouth full. As I cleared half of my glass, I placed it down on the bar counter and turned around to face the bar. And then, I stopped mid-turn as some slid down on the stool chair on my right. I stared at him a couple of times before I could open my mouth. But he spoke up first.

"Please listen to what I have to say. I know I screwed up last night and I wanted to make amends," Robert pleaded.

"What are you doing here? How did you find me?" I asked in alarm, ignoring his plea.

"I was about to go to your apartment when I saw you walked right in this bar. I wanted to talk to you about last night," he replied, his voice quivering.

"Robert, we both knew what happened last night was my fault. You didn't do anything wrong. And you don't have to make any amends."

I watched him visibly relaxed as my words sunk in on him. "Okay. So, are we still okay?" he nodded stiffly and asked.

"We are okay," I replied with a small smile.

"Oh, I'm relieved to hear that," he sighed with a suggestive smile. "Are you hungry? We could head out and grab a bite," he offered as he stood up from his seat.

"Wait. What?" I asked in confusion as I studied the undeniable enthusiasm on his face.

"I'm asking you out for dinner, Michelle," he pointed out with a grin.

I gaped at him for a moment before understanding the situation. "Oh no, god no. I'm so sorry for that misunderstanding, Robert. I can't be with you like that anymore. We can be friends. I thought that was what you meant." I blurred nervously.

"I don't want us to be friends only, Michelle. I want us to be more," he said softly as he suddenly grabbed on of my hand and interlock it with his.

"Robert. I am... I..." I stuttered as my heart suddenly raced at how the situation turned. I slowly pulled my hands away from him as I stood from my seat. "Robert. A lot has happen since last night. I don't want to skirt around it, but I'm now dating Hugh Burns. You've met his brother..." I trailed off as the smile of his face quivered into a frown.

"You were also with him, plus the journalist and me? How many men are you really dating, Michelle?" he asked sternly, his eyebrow scrunched together while the frown on his face deepen.

"No. No. It isn't like that with Hugh," I interjected as I paced away from him. I glanced around the bar and saw a few people eying us with curiosity.

"Then what is it? Why him?"

"This topic needs to be dwelt in a private place, Robert. Let's not do this here," I warned as I glanced around the bar again.

He tore his eyes from me and looked around the room. He straightened his jacket, which made me studied the formal grey suit he was wearing. I looked back at the bar and called Vince for my bill for my beer. After I paid, I patted Robert's arm and nodded my head towards the exit. He gave me a stiff nod and walked on ahead of me out of the bar.

When we were by the sidewalk in front of the bar, Robert suggested driving us somewhere but I shook my head.

"I know you wanted to understand why I didn't pick you. And I'm sorry for dragging you in this mess. To make you feel better, I did consider you, Robert. But this is more than just dating around," I admitted apologetically.

"I understand. Can I at least have one last hug?" he nodded in defeat.

I looked at him for a moment and nodded my head. He spread his arm in invite without taking the initiative. He was giving me a choice. I smiled at his offer and gave him the hug he deserved. If I didn't have Hugh, I would have been happily married Robert when the one hundred days were over.

After our brief farewell, we separated ways. I watched him entered his car, which was parked near the bar. When I was sure he wasn't coming back, I turned around and headed towards my apartment. For a moment, I had a gut feeling of guilt. But as I entered the lobby of my apartment building, my phone vibrated with an incoming message. I felt the frown on my face turned up as I read the sender.

Today has to be the best day of my life, except the day I met you. I hope you are okay after you talked to your friends. If you aren't, please don't go to a bar and drink it out. Call and let's head out to that bar together.

I love you.

Hugh.

I snickered at his message while my face flushed at his three last words. I hadn't heard him clearly say it to me. But we've just started dating today. I would get it out of his system sooner.

As I entered my apartment and headed to my room, I jumped direction on top of my bed with my phone in hand. I created a new message in reply to Hugh's text.

I already went out for my drink. You're too late, maybe next time.

Good Night and see you tomorrow. Don't be late.

Mitch.

After I hit send, I placed my phone on my bedside table and headed toward my closet to grab my sleepwear. I headed to the bathroom to wash up and change before going back to bed. When I was tucked in under my comforter, I grabbed my phone again with a new message on my screen.

Next time. That is a promise.

I will be early, am I not always?

Good night and sweet dreams.

The next morning, it rolled out of bed feeling a bit refreshed and problem-free. I head out to take a bath and changed into a satin navy blue silk top and gray pencil skirt and blazer. I grabbed a pair of black Jimmy Choo stiletto heels to complete the look. When I was done, I headed out to the kitchen for my breakfast, which Maria had already prepared for me.

Half an hour later, I was already in the car being driven by Russell towards work. The streets were a bit cramped up but there weren't hardly any traffic. As we reached the company building, my morning started to slump as I watched in wide eyes at the paparazzi scattered outside.

"What the hell are the paparazzi doing here?" I asked breathlessly as Russell slowed the car as he drove pass the entrance.

I glanced up at him for an answer but Russell had phone by his right ear. He kept on nodding stiffly at what the person on the end of the phone was telling him. Without a word of reply, the ended the call and drove around the block again.

"Ms. Newman, the paparazzi are here for you. It seems that you've made front page of the tabloid news," Russell stated as he concentrated more in the road.

"What? I didn't hear any of..." I started in frustration but trailed off as my phone buzzed for an incoming call. I studied the name for a moment before answering it.

"Mitch, are you okay?" Hugh asked worriedly at the end of the phone.

"I'm fine. What the hell is happening?" I asked, getting straight to the point.

"You haven't seen it yet?" he countered in surprise as he ignored my question.

"No. Is it bad?" I replied softly as my mind raced what the news was talking about it. Did they find out about my family tradition? Was it about Hugh and I?

There was a short paused before Hugh replied. "I will tell you when you get to the office. I want to hear you explain it to me clearly. Russell will park the car in the garage and have security escort you out for precautions. I don't want paparazzi jumping out on you," he instructed firmly before ending the call.

I pulled the phone away from my ear and gaped at him. I've never been cut off a call that harshly from him. It was my job to be the rude one. I shook off my disbelief and concentrated on getting inside my office without any trouble. When we reached the parking lot of the company building, I was greeted by a few of the security personal. They escorted me inside the service elevator and continued to guide me to my next elevator ride, which leads to my office.

As the lift opened to my floor, I excused the security team and told them to help out downstairs with the paparazzi. They all replied with a brief nod before the elevator door closed. I turned around and head out towards my office, but I stopped on my tracked when a pair of blue of blue eyes stared at me.

I took a cautionary step before he snapped out of it and head up a daily gossip magazine in front of me. "What is this?" Hugh asked almost angrily. "Why didn't you tell me you went out of a drink with Robert Klein?"

"What?" I asked breathlessly as I walked towards him and grabbed the magazine out of his hands. I turned away and studied the front page, which had a half page photo of Robert and I hugged outside the bar from last night. "How did they get this photo? I thought nobody saw us?"

"Well guess again, somebody with a camera had actually seen you," Hugh remarked sarcastically.

"We weren't doing anything. Robert just wanted to talk and I cleared it out with him that I'm dating you now," I explained absent-mindedly while I continued staring at the photo.

"Why didn't you tell me you met him last night?" Hugh asked almost painfully.

"I thought it wasn't an issue. He just wanted to talk and we aren't going to be meeting again, unless if it's business related." I looked up from the paper and turned to face him with a stern face.

"You should at least tell me about it next time. Now I have to help with the damage control. Someone had spread the rumors that Robert and you are getting married. And we both know that isn't true."

"Why are you so pissed at me? I'm the victim here. This is just gossip, Hugh, it will die down after you sent out a testimony that we were just friends. I know Robert would back me up on this," I argued as I placed the magazine the reception counter, which I was glad that it was empty. Though, it made me wonder where Hana was at the moment.

"Okay, fine. I will call your ex for you and have him help me clear out the misunderstanding," he agreed with irritation before walking towards the elevator.

I watched him pressed the call button and stayed still while waiting for the elevator to come up. "Where are you going?" I asked with uncertainty.

"I'm cleaning this mess up for you. You have work on you desk. I will be back this afternoon. We have a meeting at two with your father," he replied. And on cue, the elevator door opened. Thus, it halted me from asking any further question.

I stared at the closed metal door where Hugh disappeared for a few more seconds. With a deep breath, I turned around and walked towards my office. I watched Louise and Hana sitting opposite from each other as they worked. Hana, the receptionist on my floor, was sitting on Hugh's desk. From the faint blush on her face, I think she was embarrassed being caught sitting in his chair.

"Good morning, Michelle. Have you heard the news form Hugh?" Louise greeted and asked, tearing my gaze away from Hana.

"Yes. I've seen it. It's a misunderstanding. Robert and I aren't together." I replied with a stiff nod, my face solemn.

"It's alright, dear. Hugh will fix it for you. And congratulations, you've finally gotten together. I thought it will take another year for the both of you to admit your feeling towards each other," Louise grinned cheekily. The old woman looked younger from the smile on her face.

"What? When did...? How did...? Did he tell you about us?" I gaped in surprise as I glanced between the two people whose eyes were gleaming with amusement. Hana looked even more embarrassed as she smiled shyly.

"The boy walked in here announcing the damn thing. He looked so happy for a moment until he saw the paper," Louise said and snickered again.

I smiled at her amused expression. It was rare to see her laugh. I shook my head and ended the conversation as I excused myself to my office. Hana shyly gave me a few papers that Hugh instructed her to hand over before I ended to the office. I smiled at her, feeling a little guilty that she was scared of me. She had been flirting with Hugh when we weren't together. It might take awhile before we both get rid of the awkward feeling.

For most of the morning, I was stuck in the office signing and settling out a contract and marketing detail for a new branch we were building. In the back of my head, I kept on wondering what might have happened to Hugh. Around lunch, when I still haven't heard from him, I took out my phone to give him a call. As I was about to take the action, my phone vibrated with his name flashing on my screen. I quickly cleared the answer button.

"Hey, I already talked to Robert and your other friend, Collin – Collins, and I've cleared it out with them already. Collins agreed to help out with the paparazzi," Hugh said a bit breathless like he had been running.

"How did you manage that?" I asked in disbelief.

"It's a secret. I will be there in a few minutes. I brought lunch with me," he skirt around the topic.

I pursed my lips at his reply, but decided to not probe until he comes back. "What food did you bring?" I asked seriously.

"Your favorite. Plus I also brought wine with me," he replied smugly, the serious atmosphere we were in was gone.

"Good. You should start making those amends now. I believe you have two years worth," I commented firmly as I tried to hide the sarcasm in my voice.

"I thought you've already forgiven me."

"I did. But I didn't say you haven't made up for it. You still have to make amends for what you did to me."

"Fine. I will also buy desert. I will be there another minute late. See you," he said in mock disappointment, but I knew he was smiling.

After I ended the call with a short goodbye, the phone on my desk rang. I picked it up after I calmed down the frantic beating of my heart from my conversation with Hugh. I've been always on edge since yesterday.

"Hello?" I asked as I place the phone in my ear.

"Michelle. Do you have time to spare this afternoon? I've already talked to Hugh, but I forgot the confirm it with you though he did say that you were free." My father's voice asked on the other end of the phone.

"Oh, dad. Yes, I'm free. Hugh already informed me that we had a meeting?" I said with uncertainty.

"I told him to set up a schedule for two this afternoon," he stated in confirmation.

"Why are we having this meeting again, Dad?" I asked as I tried to scan in my desk for notes that Hugh let that will tell me what the meeting is about.

"Didn't he tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"We are going to talk about your engagement."

__________________________

A/N: Hey fellas! I shall be updating the next chapter two days from now. Until then, Have an awesome day and happy reading.

Thank you for supporting and reading this story.

Two more chapters to go.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

660K 29.6K 57
Shorter chapters so don't let the amount of chapters keep you from starting this story. Joey Lattire was offered to a man at a young age. Knowing...
30.1K 783 33
She has worked hard for years and recently graduated. Now that she has a job, all but one of her dreams had come true. With her strict parents, will...
244K 6.2K 28
*** At 25, Kira Pierson prefers to keep to herself, following a simple boring routine. But after her baby sister's birthday party, her life takes a 1...
119K 5.7K 26
When Olivia Johnston’s cell phone rang at three o’clock in the morning she never expected it to be her ex-best friend. The same friend that once had...