Gardenia Cafe

By jlf7899

✨Book 3 in the DiSilva Series✨ Charlotte Carter is an ordinary girl who works at a small cafe. One day she me... More

Character Aesthetic
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10 - Dante's POV
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20 - Dante's POV
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30 - Dante's POV
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40 - Dante's POV
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50 - Dante's POV
Chapter 52 - Dante's POV
Epilogue - 6 years later

Chapter 51

3.2K 123 16
By jlf7899

Butterflies roar in my chest as I sit down where the makeup woman gestures to. I'm marrying Dante today, in about two hours actually, and I'm beyond nervous. My hands have been shaking all morning to the point where I had to give up on drinking my daily coffee.

The bedroom is filled with movement. Dante had Ryan flown in last night and he's currently getting his tie straightened out by my mom. She's stationed herself on the chaise at the foot of the bed. Sophie's here too, right beside me getting her own makeup done. Victoria should be here soon with Elle as well.

As women begin to fawn over my hair and makeup, I take a shaky breath. I've been pushing something off for a while now. Something that could ruin a very important relationship. Telling my mom the truth about Dante.

I have no idea how she's going to react. Sophie reacted far better than I was expecting but I can't say the same for my mother. She's overprotective which is to be expected when the man you married turned out to be a thieving drunk but still. I don't even know how to begin asking her to accept this.

"You still sure you want to do this?" Sophie asks quietly.

"Yeah," I breathe out, eyes still closed as the professionals do their magic.

"My offer still stands," Sophie continues, "if you want to run, I'll run with you."

"I want to marry him," I reply firmly.

"Hey, don't get upset," Sophie snarks. "This is my duty as your best friend."

"I know," I laugh lightly. "And I appreciate you."

"You better," she mutters. I bite back my smile in an attempt to keep still.

The woman doing my makeup steps away and I finally open my eyes. Holy shit. I look like a fucking goddess. Shimmering gold around my eyes and glossy lips. A soft pink blush on my cheeks and full lashes. My hair falls freely down my back in perfect curls.

"Oh my god," my mom gasps, "you are so beautiful, Charlie."

"Thanks, mom," I smile at her.

I stride over to the small pedestal that has been set up in the middle of my bedroom. A floor to ceiling mirror stands right in front of it and the smiling seamstress begins to unzip the bag holding my dress. The door handle rattles and just as I'm about to say it's Victoria, loud pounding hits the door.

"Open up," Gio demands. "I have something for you."

Before I can take a step, Sophie swings open the door. She puts her hands on her hips and looks him up and down, blocking his pathway.

"Who the hell are you?" Sophie asks.

Gio quirks a brow, "who the hell are you?"

I watch the two of them in amusement. Sophie doesn't back down and Gio is still waiting in the hallway. Ryan brushes past and shoves Sophie out of his way.

"Hi Gio," he tilts his head back to look at the giant of a man.

"What's up, il omino?" Gio crouches down slightly.
(Little man)

"Where's Elle?" Ryan blurts his question right out. Gio's gaze snaps to me and he raises his brows. I offer a one shouldered shrug; I don't think broadcasting Ryan's little crush will do any good.

"She'll be here soon," Gio rises to his full height. "I have to give your sister something though."

"What is it?" Ryan pushes up on his toes to see the wooden box in Gio's hands.

"You'll see," Gio grins in response. Sophie finally turns on her heel and walks away, letting Gio enter.

He crosses the room quickly and opens the box. Inside sits a sparkling crown with a matching necklace and earrings. The jewels are huge, diamonds and what I believe to be pink sapphires. It's a gorgeous set. And it had to have cost half a fortune.

"What is this?" I ask hesitantly.

Gio smiles, "it's your jewelry for today."

"I'm not taking that," I inform him. "That has to be worth, what? Half a million dollars?"

"Close to two but that's not the point," Gio retorts. He snaps the box closed and places it on the bed. Sophie comes to stand at my side; a silent support.

"Look," he sighs, "I know this may seem weird, especially since you're not from this life, but you need to wear all of it."

"Why?" I ask him.

"It's a symbol of your status," he explains. "All of the women have sets like this. And all of them are a sign of your position in the family."

"And what if I don't?" I curiously ask.

He scoffs, "you'll ruin Rocco's entire reputation. And he has worked too fucking hard for that to happen."

"Alright," I wave him away, "I have to get dressed, go."

"Atta girl," Gio chides before leaving the room. I roll my eyes at his retreating form before turning back to the task at hand.

I spin my engagement ring around my finger as I sit down beside my mom. She looks at me with a knowing smile and places her hand on top of mine. I let out a relieved sigh and nod to myself.

"Mom," I start, "I need to tell you something."

"You're not pregnant, are you?" she gasps.

"No, no," I wave my hand dismissively, "it's not that."

"What is it, dear?" she asks softly.

I nervously chew on my lip, "it's about Dante."

"He didn't hit you, did he?" she demands an answer.

"No, mom," I shake my head. "He would never do that."

"So what is it, then?"

"So, you know how I've been saying that he's a businessman," I say hesitantly. "That's not really the truth."

My mom cocks a brow and I swallow hard. My gaze drops to my lap where I fidget with my fingers.

"Out with it, Charlie," she coaxes firmly.

"He's in the mafia," I blurt the words right out.

She laughs lightly and I brace myself. She probably thinks I'm joking. That I'm just messing with her. That-

"I know," she finally says.

"What?" I gape at her.

"You're not a good liar, Charlie, and neither is Sophie," she places her hand on mine. "As long as you love him and he treats you right, I don't quite care what he does for a living."

"Mom-"

"Get that dress on," my mom juts her chin towards the waiting seamstress. "You're marrying a gangster today."

I have no idea how to respond so I do as she instructs. I approach the seamstress and step into the gown. It's just as gorgeous as the day I picked it out, little floral patterns and a deep neckline. The seamstress makes quick work of lacing up the back.

The door swings open and this time it is actually Victoria. Elle races ahead, already in her dress, right to Ryan. They talk animatedly, hands flying wildly. Victoria's smile lingers on her daughter before she looks at me.

"Oh my god," she gasps. "You look amazing."

"Like a fairy or something," Sophie agrees quickly.

"You forgot some stuff," Victoria juts her chin towards the box holding the jewels.

"You know about that?" I curiously ask.

"Of course," she laughs, "I wore a six pound necklace on my wedding day."

"Jesus," I mutter.

"Yours aren't as heavy though, don't worry," she assures me.

The seamstress takes care of this part as well. Clasping the necklace in place before handing me the matching earrings. She carefully situates the crown on my head before smiling at me in the mirror.

"Una bella spousa," she smiles.
(A beautiful bride)

"Patrice," Vic scolds playfully. "She doesn't speak Italian."

"You are beautiful," the woman smiles again.

"Thanks," I smile right back.

And she's right. The soft makeup. The curls. The beautiful dress. And now the sparkling jewelry. I look like a fairy princess. It's surreal.

"Charlotte," AJ's voice comes through the door with a knock. "It's time to go."

The room moves quickly. Slipping into my shoes as Sophie puts on her dress. Final touches to Elle's hair and fixing Ryan's tie again. My mom searching for her purse as she sits on it while Victoria gives quickly instructions in Italian.

It's time. It's time to marry Dante.

Two limousines wait outside the house. Sophie climbs inside with Ryan, Victoria and Elle joining them. My mom and I get into the other and the driver takes off. My leg begins to bounce with nervousness and my mom gently placed her hand on my knee. I give her a grateful smile and she returns the gesture.

The drive goes by quickly and soon we are coming to a halt outside the church. I watch the people enter; friends, family, old classmates. Of course Dante's men are among the crowd, broad shoulders and straight faces.

I watch as Sophie, Vic, Elle and Ryan filter inside with everyone else. The driver opens my door and helps me out before doing the same for my mom. We enter the church but pause in the vestibule. Victoria hands me my bouquet before going inside.

"Let me freshen up," my mom says quietly. "I think I've already cried through my makeup."

"I'll be right here," I tell her.

"You sure you want to do this?" Sophie asks me for the hundredth time.

"I'm sure," I nod firmly. A wide smile spreads over her face and she hugs me tightly.

"There you are," Gio's voice makes us seperate. Him and Luca stand side by side in crisp suits. They both smile softly at me.

"Before you do this I just want to say thank you," Luca says softly. "Thank you for making Rocco happy. Really."

"He makes me happy," I shrug. And it's true. I don't remember ever being so fucking happy until I met him.

"Good," Gio grins. "You deserve each other."

Luca's phone buzzes in his pocket and he holds up a finger. He reads the message quickly before turning the phone to face Gio.

"Goddammit," Gio swears, unholstering his gun. "This feels like deja fucking vu."

I watch, somewhere between confused and horrified, as Gio enters the chapel with a loaded gun in his hand. My gaze snaps to Luca and he offers me a sheepish smile.

"What just happened?" I ask him.

"Someone's here who shouldn't be," he shrugs. "Happened at my wedding too if it makes you feel better."

For some reason, that does make me feel better. Gio returns moments later, sweaty and frowning, with blood splatter on the cuffs of his shirt.

"She's gone," he declares.

"Atta boy," Luca claps him on the shoulder.

"I hope the baby shits in your hand," Gio spits out before going into the church himself.

"See you in there," Luca says before he too disappears.

"Ready?" Sophie questions, nodding towards my approaching mother.

"I think so," I confirm, fixing my hold on the flowers.

My mom comes to my side and loops our arms together, "let's do this."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 2.8K 16
Gabriella hates her husband and their relationship is dead, not that it ever began. It's over and she wants a divorce. However, his gambling has lan...
73.8K 1.9K 30
"Now I know why they call you the devil" "I told you I was anything but good Angel" - Two people that could have lost their lives find each other. An...
269K 4.1K 28
When Andrea is sexually unfulfilled with her fiancé she turns to her dominant best friend Lorenzo Marino one of the biggest mafia leaders for help. ...
1.3M 27.4K 59
[COMPLETED] _____________________________________________ "You're worth more than a fucking deal, Amara." __________________________________________...