STARRY EYES ⎯ BRIDGERTON

By Paris_El10

˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥ STARRY EYES ╭┈─────── ೄྀ࿐ ˊˎ- ╰┈➤ ❝ [ You were there when I needed someone ] ❞ ˚ ༘♡ ⋆。˚ ꕥIn which... More

Starry Eyes
act. one
001. Thornharts
002. Tea Party
003. Girl Talk
004. Kiss Ass
005. Decisions
006. Black Sheep
007. Sickness and in Health
008. Worst is yet to Come
009. No Matter What
010. New Addition
011. Grief
012. Recovery
013. One Thing After the Other
014. A Little Too Late
015. Time will Tell
act. two
016. Here we go...Again
017. Reunited
018. Deja Vu
019. Letters
020. Sneak Glances
021. May the best man Win
022. Secret Date
023. Gossip
024. Happiness is a Butterfly
025. The Vronskys
026. Revelation
027. Betrayed
028. No means No
029. Conflicted
030. Big Question
032. Marriage
act. three
033. The calm before the Storm
034. Awkward Conversations
035. Set the Trap
036. Whose side are you on?

031. Ultimatum

2.9K 153 21
By Paris_El10

~Ultimatum~

 ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

Dearest Reader,

One may say modesty is virtue, yet this author is hardly a virtuous woman. It is therefore my great pleasure to announce the news others questioned, but I never doubted. The Greek goddess, the ruby of this season has made her match, officially betrothed to the Duke of Salisbury.

The bride, undoubtedly, is giddy with anticipation over the impending nuptials...an event that will take place sooner rather than later. Of course, there are two reasons to procure a special license and race to the altar: true love, or concealing a far deeper secret.

Yours Truly,

Lady Whistledown

"What is the meaning of this!?!" Robert bursted through Daniel's office in anger.

"Good morning to you too, Robert." Daniel simply chose to ignore the outburst Robert had just made. It was too early to deal with him and his childish ways.

"I thought we all had an agreement that I would be marrying Persephone."

Daniel looked up at Robert, confused. "We did."

"Then, why the fuck is she betrothed to the Duke of Salisbury." Robert slammed the paper down on the desk, making Daniel pick the newsletter from his desk and read it.

To Daniel's surprise, Lady Whistledown announced the marriage between Persephone and James. Claiming that the reason they were rushing the wedding was because of true love. But the one thing that shocked Daniel was how quick the wedding would be. Nobody really knew when the wedding would take place but it was sooner than anyone would hope.

"I don't understand." Daniel kept reading the paper over and over again to understand what was really going on, but the more he read it, the more confused he was.

"You don't understand? Persephone is going to get married very soon and it's not with me." Robert slammed his fist on Daniel's desk. "Everything was going right. Everything was going perfectly right up until now."

"There must be some sort of explanation. There's no way Persephone would have agreed to marry James knowing what was at stake."

Robert shook his head. "Well, it seems as though she didn't really care about those damn properties."

Robert thought he had her. He thought he had her wrap around his finger. That she would have no choice but to marry him. The prideful woman made it extremely difficult but he tried to win her over. Besides...he was always the type to get what he wanted.

As a little boy, if he wanted something, he would get it. Persephone was one of the things he wanted. How she played hard to get made him want her even more. To him, it was about winning a prize. She was the prize and he knew he wanted her, whether that was willingly or by force. But just as he felt like he had her, she slipped away through his fingers and into the arms of James Vronsky.

It angered him to no end. How lucky the blonde man was. He didn't have to work so hard to be with her but Robert did. He didn't have to go the extra mile to please her, to get her to like him but Robert did. Robert went above and beyond to be with her and yet, she didn't choose him. Even by force, Persephone didn't want him. Persephone didn't choose him. She chose James and it wasn't fair.

"We'll figure out a plan—"

"What plan, Daniel? What do you think we should do? The news of their betrothal has been announced and there is nothing we can do." Robert interrupted him as he walked back and forth.

"The documents were signed, she can't really do anything."

"What if she found a loophole?"

"There's no loophole. I made sure there would be no loopholes." Daniel replied as he got up from his seat. "And why do you care about marrying her? What's important is getting those goddamn properties."

Daniel could really care less about who Persephone would marry. The only reason Daniel created the idea of setting an arranged marriage for Persephone was because of her horrible attitude and the properties that were signed off to the little brat herself. The properties were the only things that were important in this situation. If Persephone wanted to marry someone else, she could, but it would cost her.

"Weren't you the one who said that it would be in our best interest for me to marry her? That it would easy for our—"

"Don't even finish that sentence." Daniel walked towards the door of his office that Robert slammed open and closed it, making sure no one would hear their conversation. "I know what I told you and I know it would be easier for us if you married Persephone but she is making it hard. We should just stick to plan B."

Robert shook his head. "That isn't going to work. I don't want plan B, I want plan A and I don't know how the fuck you are going to do it but if I don't marry Persephone, you and I are going to have major problems."

⊱ ──────ஓ๑♡๑ஓ ────── ⊰

"And where do you think you're going?" Daniel asked his wife, watching her getting up with her gown.

Athena jumped a little and she turned to where she heard her husband's voice. His expression was unreadable, stone cold. She could hardly see what he was feeling. What he wanted to say to her. It reminded her of her father. How he would talk to you with an unreadable expression, not knowing if he was going to lecture you or just have a simple conversation.

"Out."

"Where's your sister?" Daniel asked, stepping into the room.

Athena raised her brows. Does he know?, she thought. "Why do you ask?"

Daniel simply shrugged, taking little steps towards her. Raising the paper that was in hands, making her look at the paper and then at him. "I'm sure she's off somewhere planning her wedding or as I can see with your outfit, attending it."

Athena felt her blood run cold but tried her best not to show. "I don't know what you're talking about."

This time, Daniel raised his brows. "Really? You don't know? Read for yourself."

Snatching the paper out of his hands, Athena skimmed through the newsletter. No doubt, Lady Whistledown had officially announced the wedding between her dear sister and James. The secret was so well kept. She didn't understand how Lady Whistledown knew.

"I hate for you both to assume I was naive or stupid. That I wouldn't find out."

"Daniel, you don't understand."

"Then help me understand." Daniel spoke to her. "We had an agreement, Athena. Persephone was going to marry Robert whether she liked it or not. I just had Robert come into my office and throw a temper tantrum. Why are you guys making it so complicated?"

"Persephone has the right to marry someone who she loves. Who she wants to spend her life with. You and I can not control that." Athena expressed as she tried her best to get Daniel to understand. "You and I chose to be together, to get married and share a life together. Why can't we do the same for her?"

"Because her father signed the document."

"A document that you made him sign on his deathbed." Athena was still angry at Daniel. Knowing that Francis was in his final moments, Daniel still made him sign those damn papers. Even though she knew those documents were invalid and practically useless, it didn't make her feel ok knowing Daniel made her father do that.

"I don't care what happens to Persephone. I don't care how different things are for her. You knew this and yet, you let her make this stupid decision."

"But I care. I want her to live a happy life and be with a man who will make her happy and treat her right."

"Robert was going to make her happy."

"Really? You think Robert was going to make her happy? Daniel, don't make me laugh." Athena dryly chuckled. "Robert was going to make my sister's life a living hell. Who knows what that man had planned for her?"

Athena never really trusted Robert to be with her sister. She had heard rumors that Robert had treated his first wife and she couldn't imagine how he would treat Persephone. Robert wasn't the type of man you could say no to. He was a very prideful man and would let his anger get the best of him.

"It doesn't matter now, does it? You let Persephone make a dumb choice and now she'll be off marrying James and giving Robert the properties. I hope you both are happy because Brandon Linwood would be extremely disappointed in you both." Just as he was about to talk away from her, she stopped him.

"He wouldn't be disappointed because his properties will be staying with his granddaughter."

Athena couldn't take it. How Daniel would speak to her. About her grandfather. About her sister. It was time to smack him back to reality. It was time that he knew the truth.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Daniel turned back around.

"Because the documents that you have are invalid. You made my father sign those papers when he wasn't even the legal guardian of Persephone during that time." Athena could see the look on his face. How angry he was becoming. "I was her legal guardian around the time my father signed those papers, making it invalid and by law, she has the right to marry who she pleases without giving Robert a single dime."

Daniel chuckled. "You're lying."

"Am I?" Athena walked towards her vanity and opened her drawer, revealing a box. Athena opened the box, looking through to find exactly what she was trying to find. After finding what she was looking for, Athena turned towards Daniel who was waiting impatiently. "This paper was signed by Francis Thornhart, giving me the legal custody of Persephone Thornhart. I was already her guardian during the time you made my father sign those papers and he knew."

"That can't be possible. He wanted this. He wanted Persephone to marry Robert." Daniel was in denial. There was no way Francis signed those papers knowing he was no longer the legal guardian of Persephone.

"If he really wanted to, he would have told you to make me sign it instead or never give me the right to be her guardian."

"Why didn't you tell me? Why did you wait all this time to tell me? Why go along with the plan?" Daniel was practically fuming. Things weren't going right. The plan wasn't going right. "I am your husband, you are supposed to tell me these things."

"Because at first, I didn't know. But after all of this mess, I want my sister to be happy. She's happy with James and that is what I want for her. You nor Robert should interfere. And now it's too late for you to do anything."

The girls were willing to keep this a secret for two weeks up until now. They were willing to get everything done without people suspecting anything. It was hard, extremely hard, but they had managed to pull through. Even though Athena was angry at how Lady Whistledown exposed their secrets, there was absolutely nothing Daniel could do. This wedding was happening whether he liked it or not.

"Do you honestly think that is going to stop me?" Daniel chuckled, shaking his head. "No. This isn't going to stop me. You won't make a fool out of me."

"Just give up, Daniel. You don't have time to do anything. The wedding is today and in just a couple of hours, Persephone will no longer be a Thornhart." Athena admitted with her head held up high. It was good to finally do the right thing. To finally stop agreeing to Daniel's commands even when she knew she didn't like them.

"I can't believe you. I can't believe you would do something like this. I thought I could trust you."

"I did it for my sister, Daniel. I'm the only person she has left."

Daniel took a deep breath before nodding his head. "I forbid you from going to the wedding."

"Excuse me? What?"

"You heard me." Daniel glared at her. "You will not go to the wedding if you know what's good for you."

Athena's eyes widened. "You can't do that. You can't forbid me from attending my sister's wedding."

"I can and I will. If you and the boys go to the wedding, I won't forgive you. Ever." Daniel stated, looking at his wife. "Until then, I'll figure this whole mess out. I always find a way."

With that, Daniel walked away. Leaving Athena with her thoughts. She didn't know what to do. She knew she had to attend that wedding. For the sake of her sister and her happiness. Athena wanted to be there for her. She knew first hand how nervous a bride can get before her wedding and she knew Persephone needed her but she was conflicted.

⊱ ──────ஓ๑♡๑ஓ ────── ⊰

It didn't take long for Margaret to come back to Athena's room. She would have hoped to have seen Athena ready to go but to her surprise, Athena wasn't even close to ready. Her makeup was smeared off. Mascara running down her face. Athena truly looked a mess.

"What's going on? What aren't you ready? The wedding is going to start soon." Margaret asked the damsel in distress.

"Daniel found out about everything. Lady Whistledown let the whole town know about the wedding. He came over here and I told him the truth about everything." Athena explained, wiping the mascara off of her face.

"You told him about the documents?"

Athena nodded her head. "He was so upset about it that he told me he didn't want me to attend the wedding. That he would never forgive me for it."

Margaret never loved someone like Daniel. Margaret's husband was the opposite of Daniel. He was a caring, understanding, and good loving husband. So she didn't understand why Athena was so sad. Why was she still sitting on the floor looking like a mess?

"Athena, I don't understand why you are still on the floor?"

"Because even though he can be this mean person, I still love him. He is still the man I married. But if I go to that wedding, I don't know what he might do." Athena's biggest fear about attending the wedding is what Daniel might do. She could deal with Daniel never forgiving her but Daniel always had something up his sleeve. Athena didn't want to find out what plans he had for her.

"But you do realize that if you don't attend the wedding, Persephone would never forgive you." Margaret spoke softly to the girl. "Persephone just started trying to gain trust in you. Do you really want to ruin the progress you two have?"

"I don't. You know I don't." Athena responded, wiping the tears away. "I'm just scared."

Margaret knew this was tearing Athena apart. On one hand, if she would attend the wedding, Daniel would never forgive her and she would face the risk of Daniel retaliating. But on the other hand, if she didn't attend the wedding, Persephone would never forgive her and at the end of the day, Persephone and Athena were sisters.

"Athena, in the end you know what you have to do but I would rather Daniel be mad at you than Persephone. Daniel might forgive you later on but you know your sister. She will never forgive you and hold that against you until the end of time. She needs you. You and the boys will be the only Thornharts there. She has no other family left except you." Margaret advised, hoping the girl was listening to her. "You just got on good terms with her. Don't ruin your bond over a man."

She had a point. Persephone would hold a grudge until the day she died. Knowing how important this day is for her, Persephone would never forgive her sister. Athena wouldn't even forgive herself for missing her sister's big wedding but she had Daniel. Daniel was slowly turning into someone she never met. Someone she didn't marry. She didn't know why Francis all of a sudden stopped trusting him and that scared her.

"You have two hours to decide on what you want to do. I can't force you to do anything but you do know the consequences if you don't attend." Margaret sighed, walking towards the door. "I hope you pick the right decision. But I'll be off to the wedding. God knows what your sister may be feeling right about now."

Once again, Athena was alone with her thoughts. Margaret's words ran through her mind but Daniel's as well. She didn't know what to do. Athena knew she only had two hours before the ceremony would begin. Two hours to make her decision. Two hours to either make things right or make things wrong.

⊱ ──────ஓ๑♡๑ஓ ────── ⊰

! Author's Note !

─◌✰್ No Persephone or James in this chapter but we do find out that Lady Whistledown knows about the wedding and Daniel and Robert knows about it as well.

─◌✰್ Sorry for the long wait but writer's block can be quite annoying but I am back. I also tried to write like Lady Whistledown in the beginning of the chapter to add something different. I hope you guys like it!

─◌✰್ Thank you all for reading. Enjoy♡

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 240 7
- ͙۪۪̥˚ in which maria dowling, a daughter of a french marquis, refuses to marry and when she is sent to england to enter the coming season to find...
353K 9.2K 57
Lady Florence Huntingdon, daughter of the well-known and more importantly, well-respected Earl and Countess Huntingdon is stepping into the 1813 marr...
937K 27.9K 65
metanoia /ˌmɛtəˈnɔɪə/ noun change in one's way of life resulting from penitence or spiritual conversion. In which the passionate Bridgerton sister...
192K 6.5K 31
Delilah has never truly had a good relationship with anyone. Her father had made it no secret that he did not want her and had not paid her any care...