Jezebel |h.s|

De latenightgab

Harry had it all. Money, power, and the freedom of being a bachelor. Isabella was struggling to make ends mee... Mais

Jezebel
One
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
Thirty Three
Thirty Four
Thirty Five
Thirty Six
Thirty Seven
Thirty Eight
Thirty Nine
Forty
Forty One
Forty Two
Forty Three
Forty Four
Forty Five
Forty Six
Forty Seven
Forty Eight

Two

6.5K 258 60
De latenightgab

Harry

Moving to New York seemed like a good idea. That was before I actually moved back to New York, that is.

Of course, I love the city and how fast paced everything is. I wouldn't own an apartment here if I didn't like it, hell I wouldn't have even considered moving back if I hated it here. The reason I find myself questioning my own judgment is work.

The past two and a half years, Ottilie and I have been living in England. After everything that happened with Adriana, I wanted to be near family for a bit. Ottie needed family in her life more than ever and I needed the help with her. She wasn't even a year old yet and it was so hard raising her on my own.

Honestly, I had every intention of staying in England, away from all the drama that had occurred between Adriana and I. The company had been left in capable hands and I just wanted to give my daughter the best childhood imaginable. I was even looking to buy us a new home closer to where my mum lived. But a new opportunity opened up in New York and it became abundantly clear that I needed to go back at least for a little bit.

Thankfully Ottie isn't in school yet. I would hate to have pulled her out of school. If that had been the case I much rather would have let the deal fall through, but since she's still so little I really had no excuse. However since coming back, I wish I would've let this opportunity go.

It's not about the money for me, I have more than I could ever need in a thousand lifetimes. Even Ottie is pretty set for her future seeing that everything I have will go to her one day. I'm just proud of what I've built and I don't want to rest on my laurels. There is always room to expand and improve.

When I was fresh out of university, I put all my money into starting this company. Sapphire Entertainment Group has since become one of the largest parent companies in the live music space and one of the most respected. Up until Ottilie was born, it was the thing I was most proud of in life.

In the last fourteen years I've built up this company to a place where I felt comfortable taking a step back so I could be a good father. However, now that there is an opportunity to merge with another big parent company, I would like to be the one to oversee the deal. Not that I don't trust the rest of the team, I just like being involved in these big decisions.

This merger would be huge news for the company. We would essentially be expanding internationally, something I always dreamed we would have the chance to do.

Of course I'm thrilled to be starting the process of drafting contracts and negotiating deals, note the sarcasm. After almost three years of taking a step back, it's been hard getting back into the swing of things. I'm just hopeful that work gets easier soon. Finding a balance between being there for Ottie and being at work hasn't been easy, but she will always be my top priority.

Since she's not in school yet, I had to cave and get a nanny. The last thing I wanted to do was admit that I needed help, but Ottie can't come to work with me and she can't stay at home by herself. After Adriana left, I wanted to prove to everyone that I can raise her myself and that I wasn't going to be one of those rich guys who tossed their kids to someone else. I want Ottie to know that she could always come to me for absolutely anything.

So far I've really liked the nanny though. She's an older, sweet woman who had glowing recommendations and many years of experience. Ottie took to her so quickly and loves spending time with Melissa. She's even been teaching Ottie Italian which is such a bonus. If my mom couldn't be the one helping out with her, I'm glad that it's Melissa.

My door opens and Tia, my secretary, peeks her head in. "Hey Mr. Styles, I'm about to go run and grab some coffee, did you need anything?"

Glancing down at my watch, I take note of the time. 2:08pm. "No thanks, I have to get going in a few. Ottilie has dance class today. When you get back, if you could just forward my calls to my cell that would be great."

"Of course! How has she been liking dance classes? Did you go to the studio I recommended?"

I can't help but smile, always excited to talk about my daughter and her accomplishments. "Oh she loves it. And I did, they seemed really nice there and her teacher has been great. And I've finally perfected the ballerina bun."

"Impressive. I'm glad she likes it and that you like it too. My daughters both started there when they were babies and they did such an amazing job with the baby ballet program."

Before we could continue talking, my business partner Warren walks up behind Tia. "Sorry to interrupt, mind if I?" He smiles at her and she gestures for him to go right ahead.

Warren is a new addition to the team. When Adriana got pregnant, I started the hunt for someone that I trust to take over while I focused on becoming a father. Warren was someone I met early on in the hunt and though I continued searching after him, nobody came close to him. I found myself comparing everyone to him which only proved to me that I needed to trust my gut.

We became fast friends and he was more than understanding when I really stepped back to move home with Ottilie. He even came to visit us a few times. It's been nice getting to know him more as the years pass, especially since it helps me feel even more comfortable leaving my company in his hands when I need to be a dad.

"I'll talk to you tomorrow, Tia." As she leaves to go get her coffee, I turn toward Warren. "What's up?"

"I wanted to catch you before you left, did you get my email?" He plops himself down onto the chair opposite my desk.

"I probably did but I've been in meetings all day and haven't looked, why?"

"It's not work related, so don't worry about that, but as you know my birthday is coming up-" I sigh with an amused smirk, leaning back in my chair as he continues. "I'm going with a bunch of the guys to that club Afterlife. Why don't you get a babysitter for the night and join us?"

"Afterlife? Never heard of it."

"It's new, opened up two years ago downtown. I've been a couple times with the guys and it's a very nice, private place. High end, right up your alley." As he's explaining, I take it upon myself to pull out my phone and google this club.

"It's a strip club."

"What? Did you think I wanted to go to a regular club for my birthday?" He smiles when I give him an annoyed look. "Come on, it's fun and you haven't had a night out since you got here. Enjoy yourself."

"I have a kid, Warren. You want me to just leave my daughter at home so I could go with you to a strip club."

He shrugs. "Well not by herself, but essentially yes." I roll my eyes at his sarcasm. "Look man, I get that you don't want to bring girls home, but I also know that you've had your fair share of fun since becoming a bachelor again. It's just one night and if you don't like it, you don't have to go back again."

"I don't know..."

"H. I know that you are a dad now and you have Ottie. And you are a wonderful father, one of the best in my opinion. But it's okay to have an identity outside of fatherhood. Look, my sister is free that night and I could ask if she'll babysit for you, this way it's someone Ottie knows and is comfortable with and if anything goes wrong she can call you or me and we'll be home in five minutes. I just would really appreciate you coming out. You don't have to put a dollar in anyone's tits or get drunk. Just come."

Unfortunately, he has a point. Sure back home I would indulge in one night stands here and there, but my mum or sister were with Ottilie and I didn't have to worry as much. She doesn't have close family in New York, she was so little when we left, it's harder to let go. I want to be home with her when I'm not at work.

At the same time, it's not healthy to just not have any fun. Since we got back to New York two months ago, I've done nothing but work and go right back home to my daughter. The weekends have been spent doing whatever she wanted, which usually includes a playground or some kid activity. I haven't even gone out to work events since returning. It's time to at least try to have a good time with people my own age.

With a sigh, I shut my eyes and pinch the bridge of my nose. "If Claudia can babysit, I will do my best to be there..." He cheers before I could even finish my sentence, "But I'm not staying the entire night. By two I'm gonna be on my way home, I know you love to go all night. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go get Ottie."

"I'll let her know and get back to you, but thanks H. You're gonna have a good time, the girls there are so hot." God he's such a single, horny bastard.

We walk toward the elevator together once I've gathered my things and I say a quick goodbye to anyone I pass on the floor. I always do my best to treat my employees with respect. The last thing I want to be seen as is some asshole CEO that everyone hates. Warren goes back to his office as I step into the elevator and press the door to go down to the lobby.

As I'm on my way down, I text my driver that I'm on my way. I also send Melissa a text that I'll be there in five minutes to pick up Ottilie for dance class.

The drive to the apartment is quick since it's only a few blocks uptown by Central Park. I always liked how well connected New York is, which is a big reason why I decided to move here and establish my business. Once we arrive at the front of the apartment, I hop out to greet Melissa and Ottie in the lobby.

A big smile takes over my face at the sight of my daughter, all done up for dance class. I may have gone a little overboard at the dancewear store with her when we went shopping for her shoes and leotards, but she deserves it. The second she sees me her eyes light up and she bounces in place, waiting for me to get closer so she could run and tackle me in a hug.

I pick her up the second she rushes over, squeezing her in a tight hug as she giggles. "Hello my little ballerina! Did you have a nice day with Miss Melissa?"

"Yeah we had fun! It's time for dance right?!"

"It is time for dance! Why don't you go say goodnight to Miss Melissa and then we'll go head to dance." I set her down on the ground, smiling over at Melissa.

"She was great today, as always. The only thing is, someone didn't want to eat her grapes before. Other than that it was a normal day." Melissa reports as Ottilie gives her a hug and kiss goodbye. We text throughout the day so I never really am out of the loop of what's going on day to day. Once Ottie pulls away she passes me her dance bag.

Ottie gives me a devious look as I raise my eyebrows. "Well we will be sure that Ottie eats all her grapes tomorrow then, right?"

She nods with a smile. "I will! Bye Miss Melissa!"

"Bye Ottie!"

I wave over at Melissa with a smile before taking Ottie's hand and walking back to the car. I strap her into her carseat as she talks a mile a minute about everything she got to do today and how fun it was. She continues to chat the entire car ride and I make sure to show her that I'm taking in every word she says. It's just us in this world and I need her to know that I'm present with her.

Working a lot is hard when you're a single parent. It's been a learning curve these last few weeks, trying to balance being a company owner and a father. Everyone always needs me for something and I'm only one person, but I do my best to make it clear to all that my daughter will always be first. I'm really thankful that everyone for the most part respects that.

I already feel like I'm missing so much. She's growing up so fast lately and every day when I come home it feels like there's something new going on in her life. The weekends feel more like me trying to catch up on all the changes in her life and it really sucks sometimes. I know every parent says that about their kid, but it's true.

The car parks at the dance studio and I get out, rounding the car to unstrap Ottie and get her out. She requests to hold her little dance bag, so I hand it over with a smile before taking her free hand. Together, we head inside, just making it on time for class. We would have been early if Warren didn't stop me.

"Miss Isabella!" Ottie grins, letting go of my hand quickly to go join her teacher at the door to the dance room. She has completely opened up to her teacher since their first interaction. Ottilie's always been that way, shy until she warms up to someone. Now I can't get her to shut up about her dance teacher.

Doesn't help that Isabella is definitely attractive.

She gives my daughter a high five with a big smile. "Hi Ottie! Go sit where you see a tutu and wait for me to come in okay? I'm just waiting for Riley and then we'll start." My daughter nods before running into the studio, not even giving her old man a second glance.

I smile politely over at Isabella, offering a slight wave. She smiles back, but looks away when another little kid comes running over to her, presumably Riley. I find a seat in the waiting area with the other parents after a quick peek in the window to see where my daughter is. A smile takes over when I watch her talking to another little girl in the class, just so relieved that she's making friends.

These past few weeks I've come to learn that the parent's area is a lawless place, especially for a man like myself. Apparently I'm the only dance dad out of everyone in the class and the mums were quick to take note of my lack of wedding ring. Someone also apparently spilled the beans about me paying the tuition for the year at once, and that I covered another kid in a different age division when I heard their mum was already struggling with payments. That part was supposed to be anonymous though.

They circle like vultures as I stick to myself, trying to just answer emails quietly from my spot. Every once in a while I'll take a look into the class to see how Ottie's managing, but I try not to do that so I don't distract the other kids. I can't help but overhear two mums whispering about me across the room, talking about Sapphire and my finances. I understand the fascination and that I stick out like a sore thumb in my suit, but at least wait until I'm not in the vicinity.

"Hey, you're Ottilie's dad, right?" A voice pulls my attention from my phone. When I look up, it's one of the mums. I know it's rude but I can't help but dread what comes out of her mouth next. At least one mum will come up to me every class just to flirt and I'm just not interested.

"Uh, yeah. And you are?"

"I'm Zara's mom, Angela!" She smiles kindly and I relax at the mention of Zara. Ottilie has been calling Zara her best friend since they met.

I slip my phone into my pocket and smile. "Oh, it's so nice to finally meet you, Angela. I'm Harry. Ottie's been talking about Zara non stop these last few days."

"It's nice to meet you too, Harry! My son's karate class coincides with this so I'm trying my best to split my time. And Zara is the same way, she's been begging me to ask you if Ottilie could come over for a playdate."

It's hard to hide how proud I am that my daughter scored a playdate all on her own. "Of course. I'm sure she would love that. Here, why don't you give me your phone number and we could set something up for them." I suggest, pulling my phone back out.

I could feel the eyes of all the other mums boring into the back of my head as Angela and I exchange information and continue to talk about the girls. I'm sure this will just embolden them to approach me and use their kids as an excuse. But I'm doing this for my daughter and I want her to have friends her age that she could play with.

Angela and I are only interrupted when class is over and the kids all come running out of the dance room. Zara and Ottilie come running while they hold hands, excited to see us talking. It feels good being treated like just another parent though, because that's what I am. At the end of the day, I'm here so my kid could get exercise and make friends just like everyone else.

We say goodbye to Angela and Zara since they have to go get Malachi from karate, and I take the time to make sure everything in Ottie's bag is there and accounted for. We end up being the last ones in the waiting area, but ever since having Ottie I've been the type of dad to triple check everything before we leave. Especially when it comes to the potty.

Once I'm sure we have everything, I take Ottie's hand and start heading toward the door, but she pulls me in another direction.

"Miss Isabella! Zara and me are gonna play together!"

I glance over, seeing her dance teacher standing in the doorway with another one of the instructors. She smiles at Ottie, completely invested in whatever she has to say. "Oh wow Ottie! That sounds like so much fun! You'll have to tell me all about it next time I see you!"

"I will!" She lets go of my hand, running to give Isabella a hug. She's always been an affectionate little kid. "Bye Miss Isabella!"

Isabella hugs her back, "Bye Ottie, you did so good today! I'll see you next time!"

"See you next time!" Ottilie runs back over, taking my hand again. Isabella smiles over at me, waving slightly. I nod, winking before raising my free hand to say goodbye.

It's hard not to miss her friend raising her eyebrows as she looks away, and maybe a wink is a bit flirty, but Isabella doesn't seem to mind since she waves back. "Bye Mr. Styles."

✧✧✧

Warren Lee

Angela Stevens

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

29.7K 1.6K 75
Anna Styles, an accomplished and well known architect, is stepping back from her high-profile job to focus on the family that she and her husband, Ha...
3.7M 86.6K 94
After a tragic accident that killed their best friends, two former lovers are forced to come together to raise the godchildren that they share. They...
19.4K 237 9
After your best friend's parents divorce, you find yourself being the confidant and stress relief of your best friend's dad. He's double your age, ri...
20.6K 549 53
Isabella Taylor was fresh out of high school, but unlike most normal 18 year olds, she fought with many things that no person should ever have to enc...