Sharing Life | ✓

By Kira0147

Contrary to the original idea, Sharing life is about Ram and Priya in a different light where they do not mar... More

1. It's No
2. Past & Truths
3. Acceptance?
4. Thy English!
5. Two-way
6. Photograph
7. Revive
8. Protector
9. Maa
10. Sweet Poison
11. Walking through darkness
12. Sori
13. 5-6 days a week
14. Just talk
15. Aye zindagi gale lagale
16. His World
17. Mere Rang Mein Rangne Wali
18. Yeh Mann Atak Gaya Hain
19. Dear Comrade
20. Happy Birthday Ram!
21. Always. Forever
22. The Third Wheel
23. La Vie En Rose
24. Someone special
25. Ghee Upma
26. One step closer
27. That her
28. Dil Hain Ke Manta Nahi
29. Aahista Aahista
30. Hints & Moves
31. Bade Achhe Lagte Hain
32. Alliance
34. That him
35. Sharing Life
Author's Note
Jokes aur Taane
Drabble
Sharing Life × A Thousand Years

33. Cursed

736 51 15
By Kira0147

What is a film even without a climax!

------------------

After Meera got out of the cab, she scolded Sandy for the torn glitter paper of one of the shagun boxes she was responsible for. Adjusting the pleats of her saree, Priya shot her mother a look annoyed with her over excitement and uptight behavior since the proposal. To add, everybody supported her. For instance when she suggested Priya must be in saree while visiting Kapoor Mansion to discuss her marriage, Shivina took the responsibility and arranged a saree for her overnight.

"You all go ahead," Shivina announced to the family, pointing at the garden and added, "We'll join you in soon."

She dragged her to a corner.

"Shivina—"

She handed her a bag and told she got a jacket for Ram matching her saree. Of course. Though she didn't say it out loud, she too realized their co-ordinating outfits last night wasn't merely a coincidence.

"I know you must be dying to meet your Mr. Kapoor," she teased. "So give this to him while I chit chat with my friends."

Priya tried to hide the blush rising up on her cheeks when she added, "Di, Bhai ke samne sharmana. Now go!" She gently pushed her in the direction of the entrance to her house.

"Mom!" Shubham barged into the kitchen. "You fixed Bhai's marriage with that tacky aunty again!"

Nandini glared at him, then glanced at Tarun signaling him for privacy.

"Wasn't Akshay enough that you want his sister too?" he continued seeing Tarun make his way out.

"Shubham, careful! You're speaking about your Bhabhi," Nandini snapped at her son.

Too late.

She already heard them.

Seeing Shubham rush towards the kitchen in distress, Priya followed only to stop mid-way hearing 'tacky aunty'.

"Bhabhi, my foot!" he added.

She grabbed the wooden partition pillar for support.

"Ram loves Priya," she heard Nandini and her teary eyes softened. A confirmation she needed not this way though.

"Love?" he scoffed. "He dated a girl like Vedika with no money. Now that he's super rich, still hot and handsome he can definitely do better than that old grumpy teacher."

Though her vision had blurred, she recognised Tarun nearing her. Embarrassed, she tried to smile but couldn't.

She glanced down at the bag and tried to speak, "Shivi.. Mr... Mr.."

Tarun remained quiet.

She was humiliated. She handed him the bag hoping he understands it's for Mr. Kapoor and left the place.

Shubham went to his mother and questioned, "And since when have you been worried about him?"

She glared at her son again. "Just because I have always prioritized you and Shivi, doesn't mean I hate him or want him to be unhappy. It was difficult time after Virendra left us. I was worried about you. Moreover Ram wasn't ready to move on himself," she paused.

"But things have changed now. Shivi is married — doesn't matter if we like Akshay or his family. Ram has setup a business for you. Our future is secured. It's only fair we support him."

"And you're okay with his marriage?"

"I was never against it. It is least of my concern how and with whom he spends his life with. My priority has always been you two," she admitted.

"If that's the case, and he has really moved on like you say I can set him up with my friends but not Akshay's sister. She's a terrible choice," he complained.

"She isn't," she countered. "In fact, she is perfect."

He rolled his eyes.

"Remember, how Akshay didn't accept the flat we gifted him on Diwali. Or she won't take our car and driver no matter how much we insist. These middle class people either care too much about their principles and values, or nothing at all. Priya is a girl with high pride and self respect. She'll never claim any right or take away something from us," she explained.

With his experienced with such people, Shubham still had his doubts. There are people who pretend until they win the trust and later reveal their true intentions. Not to miss, Ram's over giving nature. "What if Bhai does something for her or her family?"

"That shouldn't be a problem too. We like it or not, Shivi is now part of that family. Whatever Ram does for his in-laws will benefit our Shivi. Trust me, Shubu, Priya is the best choice for him. For us," she affirmed.

Shubham nodded vaguely, not convinced yet.

"I would worry if he had fallen for someone like Vedika or Priya's younger sister... the one who married her ex," she added.

"I don't know," he spoke after a minute, unsure and said, "Toh ab kya shaadi ki tayari kare?"

"Why not!"

****

Insecurities over faith ruled.

'Akshay's tacky sister.'

'He can definitely do better than that old grumpy teacher.'

Shubham's words echoed her mind reminding the hurtful things her father said sometime.

'Tere jaise baddimag ladkiyon ki shaadi nahi hua karti.'

She rushed out of the house which a while ago she thought will be hers.

'Tum koi hoor ki pari nahi ho.'

She widened her eyes to prevent the tears from spilling out.

'Aisi nakchadi ladki ke saath kaun apni zindagi bitana chahega.. na shakal, na surat, na sanskar.'

No matter what she pretended, people's opinion had always affected Priya. It influences her in a way that she loses her strength to fight or make choice for herself. Be it sir or any stranger.

Marriage is not always an equal partnership. Some days it's sixty-forty, some days thirty-seventy. It's a process of continuous give and take. She knew no matter what she does or how she supports him, she'll always be the less contributing partner in the eyes of people and was prepared for them doubting her intentions for marrying Ram, but what's the point if she's judged by her family?

She had spent her life, first proving her worth, later standing up for herself, and didn't have it in her to fight anymore. She was exhausted, mentally, physically and emotionally that she found it easier to live with Mahendra's curse.

Hurt and lost in thoughts, she didn't see Shivina approaching and bumped into her.

"Aaramse," she responded with a teasy smile but noticed her watery eyes.

Priya caught this and immediately covered up, "Holi... Colors all around... must have entered..."

"Oh," she worried, then handed her some tissues and offered to walk to the washroom so she can clean her eyes. Priya refused and insisted on joining their family in the pandal.

****

"Hey," she heard him from behind.

Her feet turned around on its own, and there he was, the sunshine of her life, flashing his toothy smile at her while his blue green eyes shining under the light.

He stood beside her and enquired how was she doing.

She nodded vaguely and twitched corner of her mouth forcing a smile, then averted his gaze.

She continued to look away which he assumed it to be a typical bridal behaviour and smiled to himself bashfully. He watched her closely and wondered if, hereon, she'll mesmerise him everyday for rest of their lives.

"Did you know about Nandini Aunty's plan?"

Her voice broke his trance. "No. No. It was a surprise to me too," he replied, then continued with a soft smile playing on his lips, "Mom... she saw us together few—"

"Why didn't you correct her?" she interrupted.

"S-sorry?" his tone got serious.

She finally faced him. "You should have clarified. People are bound to misunderstand on seeing us together. Sara Di too assumed we-" she stopped abruptly.

She shortly glanced away as she said, "that we like each other. I cleared up our equation to her; you could've talked with Nandini Aunty too. We can't do anything about other people, but let's not give false hopes to our families."

Ram stayed silent not being able to process her words. It seemed as if the world had stopped. He was unable to feel anything yet knew it's hurting, like when you're stuck underwater without breathing equipments.

She waited for his response for another minute but he didn't. "Let's talk to our families before it's too late," she told sternly not looking at his eyes that had become like hers when she heard Shubham.

He was still trying to comprehend what Priya said when his friend bumped into him.

"Sorry, didn't see you," Vikrant said, laughing, and immediately turn to Kunal with fist filled with color.

Ram burst out, "Are you crazy? Stained my jacket," he said, wiping off the tinge of blue.

Kunal eyed Vikrant alerting about Priya's presence, and they apologised once again.

Ram didn't look up at anyone and continued his feigned anger. A minute later he grumbled, "need to clean this."

He was too consumed by his own hurt that didn't notice her averted gaze or saddened tone and left. He was least bothered if he seemed rude or mustn't leave from a party he hosted. All he needed was to get way from everyone.

She watched him walk away, tears threatening to form again because she knew the cause of his pain.

You're saving him from future heartbreak, she justified herself. Even if she let go her fears today, peopl will constantly remind her where she belonged that someday she may hurt him even more.

****

Ram was not choosen yet again.

Why does it always happens that the person he loves doesn't love him back? And even if they do, he doesn't have them in his life.

Ironically, in a game of describing things in three words, his friends described Ram as foodie - lover - giver, or PJs - pyaar - rain, or bollywood - baarish - Romeo, or Family - friends - ex. Other things kept changing and repeating, but love remained constant. Something not meant for him despite him loving with his everything. Life experiences had designed him to love more and expect less, but how long?

He had no energy yet he willed himself to walk out while the people in way gave him a fleeting smile as he passed by then return to their families and friends playing colors. His heart ached a lot. He felt more alone despite having his people around.

However beautiful loving Priya was, the Ram beneath the happy mask knew how tough it was to love from far. You know what you're getting into yet you can't stop. Though you're aware the feelings won't be reciprocated ever, it doesn't reduce the hurting. It takes away your everything yet you can't stop giving from your hollow selves.

Not being choosen was the worst feeling which now if he thinks has held him back do long from moving ahead in life.

Why did he move on anyway? he angst as he entered into his house.

He was doing fine for years. Going on dates, or working with honest, sincere and accomplished women for years hasn't bothered even knowing they're interested in him. How did it change?

He liked Priya a lot. He loved her but didn't know he was invested so much until she asked him to clarify about their relationship to his family.

What was he supposed to clarify when he himself was so confused?

The walks and talks. The musical rides and the comfortable silence. The crimson tinge on cheeks while hiding the bashful smiles. Laughing, losing into each other's gaze until stomach hurt then abruptly look away fearing your eyes revealed too much.

What they've shared, the way he felt with her last few days didn't feel one sided.

Was it all a delusion? Was it all really in his head? Had he mistaken her friendly affection for love?

If we weren't meant to be, why do I feel forever with her? he wondered, glancing at the window in the end of the hallway with his blurred vision.

He trudged up the stairs feeling like a player returning to the pavilion after giving his best yet about to lose.

For once he didn't want to be a good boy and step into other person's shoe to try to understand their situation and be considerate. For sometime, he didn't want to think about anyone and be selfish for him. Was it too much to ask for?

Maybe it was.

Maybe what Mami once blurted out that he was cursed to be loved and never chose by anyone was true.

-------------

Though twist make stories fun, I understand past couple of days had been tough for Indian fans, so giving a hint until I published next chapter:
34. That him

*simply a hint and kindly not hope exactly above, warna badawala heartbreak hoga tumhara 🤷‍♀️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.8K 1.1K 48
If Ram and Priya were neighbours and college friends..
44.1K 2.3K 17
This story revolves around Ram who lost his love, family, business everything thing in a blink just few hours before his wedding and Priya who stepp...
19.6K 871 10
Its about how 5 years later Ram and Priya sort out their differences and reunite along with their daughter even after facing so many hurdles.💜
94.7K 8.5K 171
Agape- a sacrificing love and Eros- a burning love. This story explores the agape and eros between Ram & Priya. This is a fanfic on Bade Achhe L...