As It Was - Dean Winchester

By smmcwrites

"Willow Price." Caleb introduced me. My hair was parted in two tight french braids that held the hair away f... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57
Part 58
Part 59
Part 60
Part 61
Part 62
Part 63
Part 64
Part 65
Part 66
Part 68
Part 69
Part 70
Part 71
Part 72
Part 73
Part 74
Part 75
Part 76

Part 67

3K 90 39
By smmcwrites

I groaned as I rolled over in bed, awoken by the radio playing Heat of the Moment by Asia. I felt for Dean, who had slept beside me, but my hand only came in contact with the sheets. I cracked an eye open to Dean sitting on the edge of the bed, tying his shoes and ready for the day. I could hear Sammy groan from the other bed and grabbed a pillow to cover my face. 

Heat of the momentTelling you what your heart is

"Rise and shine!" Dean chirped.

Sam's answer was muffled by the pillow covering my face. "Dude. Asia?" 

"Come on. You love this song, and you know it," Dean teased, grabbing the pillow from my hands and removing it.

"Yeah, and if I ever hear it again, I'm gonna kill myself," Sam commented.

Dean just leaned over and turned the volume on the radio up. "What? Sorry couldn't hear you."  

It was the heat of the moment, Heat of the moment, Heat of the moment, Showed in your eyes

He took his opportunity to lean over and place a quick kiss on my lips. "Time to wake up, sweet cheeks." 

"Coffee," I croaked, voice rough.

"Are you pouting? Come on, get up, and we'll get some breakfast."

We got dressed and began our morning routine of brushing our teeth. Dean, who seemed set to annoy Sammy began to gargle. I popped out some toothpaste on my brush, doing my best to ignore the mess on the tube. I had no energy to clean it off, so I handed it to Sam, glancing over at him as he inspected it with a look of disgust, all while Dean still gurgled, glancing at Sam to gauge his reaction. 

I rolled my eyes and began to brush my teeth, humming to the song that had awoken me. 

We finished up and got ready to leave for breakfast. 

"Whenever you're ready, Dean," the younger hunter commented as he watched Dean rummage around the room, looking for something. 

He pulled one of my bras from his bag, holding it up and looking at his brother. "This yours?" he deadpanned. Sam glared at him while Dean let out a loud amused "Ha!" and then returned to his bag, pulling out his gun. "Bingo."

I shared a look with Sam. 

"Now, who's ready for some breakfast?" Dean asked as he walked past us as if we were the ones taking time.

I followed the brothers down the street to where the closest diner was, dragging my feet behind me, only moving forward due to the promise of the liquid black gold.

The door chimed, and I took a quick glance around the room, taking in every single person. The cashier handed over change to an elderly man with a, "Drive safely now, Mr. Pickett." And Mr. Picket answered with a dismissive "Yeah, yeah," walking out before the door managed to close behind us. 

Sam and Dean were already on their way to one of the booths, and I scanned the room one more time as the cook offered up an order and a waitress reminded one of the customers that he couldn't stay without ordering something, making him pass her some change for another coffee.

I slide into the booth next to Dean, rubbing my temples to keep the impending headache induced by a too-low level of caffeine at bay. 

"Hey. Tuesday. Pig in a poke," Dean grinned, just noticing one of the posters on the wall by the menus. 

"You even know what that is?" Sam sassed, and I wrinkled my nose.

"You guys ready?" one of the waitresses asked, and my eyes briefly skimmed over the name tag 'Doris.' 

"Yes, please," I mumbled. "Coffee, black. And..." I glanced down at the menu but quickly changed my mind. "Nothing else."

"I'll have the special, side of bacon and a coffee," Dean said with a smile, glancing over at Sammy.

"Make it three coffees and a short stack."

"You got it," Doris answered, twirling around and leaving us alone. 

"I'm telling you, Sam, this job is small fry," Dean said the second Doris walked away. "We should be spending our time hunting down Bela."

"This is just a waste of time. I agree with Dean," I concurred.

"Okay, sure, let's get right on that. Where is she again?" Sam shot back.

Dean replied before he even finished his sentence. "Shut up."

"I'm working on it. If you want to stay up all night and try to find out possible aliases and routes she has taken, then you are welcome to switch with me," I grumbled, earning an apologetic look from Sam. "I just need a day or two extra. I'm close, I know it."

"Look," the younger Winchester began. "Believe me, I want to find her as bad as you do. In the meantime, we have this." He pulled up some papers from his inner pocket, placing them on the table for me and Dean to see. 

"All right, so this professor..." Dean began, looking down at the paper clipping regarding a missing person. 

"Dexter Hasselback was passing through town last week when he vanished," Sam supplied. 

"Last known location?" 

"His daughter says he was on his way to visit the Broward County Mystery Spot."

I reached out to the mystery spots flyer that Sam had put on the table and flipped it over. 

"Where the laws of physics have no meaning," I read, snorting when it was followed by the formula stating that energy equals mass times the speed of light squared, the formula for calculating the area of a circle, and the formula calculating gravitation, all followed by question marks. 

I rolled my eyes, "This is bogus. I bet my life that this is just another funhouse with illusionary perspectives or whatever."

Sam shrugged as if unsure, and Doris returned with our orders. I lunged for my coffee the second she placed it in front of me. "Three coffees, black, and some hot sauce for the—"

The hot sauce on the tray she carried suddenly tipped, cracking on the floor.

"Whoops. Crap! Sorry." The waitress turned around, gesturing to another employee. "Cleanup!"

---

A dogged barked as we passed on the street, leaving the diner. Dean pulled the Mystery Spot flyer from Sammy's hands once again, looking it over.  "Sam, I'm with Will on this one. Joints like this are only tourist traps, right? I mean, you know, balls rolling uphill, furniture nailed to the ceiling, they're only dangerous to your wallet."

"Okay, look, I'm just saying, there are spots in the world where holes open up and swallow people," Sam argued. "The Bermuda Triangle, uh, the Oregon Vortex—"

"Broward County Mystery Spot?" Dean filled in skeptically. 

"Well, sometimes these places are legit."

I huffed indignantly, "Those places aren't supernatural! The Oregon Vortex is an optical illusion and doesn't even get me started on the Bermuda Triangle! There is tons of scientific research explaining the loss of navigation systems and missing planes and ships!"

Sam gave me a look, and I narrowed my eyes right back at him. 

"All right, so if it is legit, and that's a big-ass if," Dean said, looking placatingly between me and Sam. "What's the lore?"

"Well—" 

"It's not real," I hissed, barely noting Dean walking into some girl who quietly excused herself. 

"The lore's pretty frigging nuts, actually," Sam disagreed. "They say these places the magnetic fields are so strong that they can bend spacetime, sending victims no one knows where."

"Sounds a little X-Files to me," Dean argued. 

"Not even Fox Moulder would believe that the Mystery Spot was supernatural," I grumbled under my breath.  

Sam scoffed as we passed two men moving furniture into one of the buildings.

"Told you it wouldn't fit," one of the grumbled as the large desk they were carrying hit the door frame.

"What do you want, a Pulitzer?" the second of the two grumbled, making my mouth tick into a smirk.

"All right, look," Sammy continued, drawing my attention back to the conversation. "I'm not saying this is really happening, but if it is, we gotta check it out, see if we can do something."

"All right, all right, we'll go tonight after they close, get ourselves a nice long look. Will?"

"I'll go with you, but I still think it's a waste of time."

---

It was dark by the time we snuck inside the closed tourist spot. Spirals were painted over the walls, and I ran my flashlight over the tables screwed to the ceiling and walls, making up the most unrealistic illusions I'd ever seen.

"Wow. Uncanny," Dean deadpanned while Sammy moved over to check the space with his EMF reader. 

"Find anything?" I sighed, moving deeper into the space.

"No," the younger hunter said, looking at his unresponsive gadget. 

"You have any idea what you're looking for?" Dean inquired.

Sammy answered with an uncertain "Uh ... yeah," that fooled no one. "No," he relented.

I smirked at him, shining my light into my own face to make shadows appear. "I told you so."

"What the hell are you doing here?!" 

I spun around at the new voice, raising my gun the second my eyes fell on the man I knew to be the owner and his raised shotgun. 

"Put your weapon down!" I growled, making him move his weapon toward me instead of Dean, his hands shaking. "I said put it down!"  

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Whoa. We can explain," Dean said, and the man moved the gun to him as he spoke. But Dean lowered his weapon, trying to defuse the situation and making me follow his lead. It didn't matter, the muzzle of the gun soon pointed at Sammy instead. 

"You robbing me?"

"Look, nobody's robbing you, calm down," Sam begged.

Dean slowly began to move to take his gun out of play, and the grey-haired man spun back to aim at him. "Don't move!"

I slowly took a step toward Dean, who still held the attention of the owner.

"Just putting the gun down," the older Winchester explained in a calm, confident tone of voice. 

From where I stood, I could see the owner's finger tighten over the trigger, his hands still shaking. Cold sweat began to bead all over my body, fear taking over. I was only a millisecond late as the shot rang out. I threw myself forward, trying to cover Dean, but I could feel the wind of the shattering bullet as it passed me. Hearing the grunt as it hit its target behind me. 

"Dean!" Sam called out, I caught myself before I hit the floor, instead immediately turning to Dean, who dropped to the floor upon impact. 

Sam was by his side a second later as his brother dragged in a ragged breath, trying to breathe. The shot had hit him cleanly in the chest, and I could hear the wheeze as the air he forced down into his lungs exited through the wounds. I stared at him, paralyzed, not registering the sounds around me, only barely aware that Sam tried to get my attention before giving up, calling for the owner to call 911. 

"D-Dean?" his name stuttered on my lips, and my hands were shaking as I tried to stop the blood. This can't be real. This can't be real. "No!" I cried as his eyes tried to focus on me. 

"Hey, hey," Sam said beside me. "oh, no, no, no ... not like this..." 

Dean's eyes closed, and his chest went still.

"Dean," Sam begged as if he could wake him up again. 

But Dean Winchester's hand fell to the floor motionless.

And I screamed. 

---

Heat of the moment

My eyes snapped open at the loud sound of the radio, and I shot up into a sitting position before I could register my surroundings.

Telling you what your heart is

"Rise and shine!" Dean chirped on the end of our bed as he tied his shoes. I stared at him, pulling a hand over my face to gather myself. It was just a dream. A really, really, bad dream. 

Not the first time I'd dreamt of him dying, but it was certainly the most vivid one. I could still feel the pulse in my body and the scream in my throat.

The heat of the moment. Showed in your eyes

"Dude. Asia," the older hunter grinned at his brother. 

I glanced over at Sammy, who was breathing heavily, staring at him. "Dean."

There was a desperation in his eyes that I recognized but that Dean seemed to take as his brother's unwillingness towards the music. 

"Oh, come on, you love this song, and you know it," he commented, turning up the volume.

He turned to me with a soft smile, leaning over and placing a quick kiss on my lips. "Time to wake up, sweet cheeks."

I stared at him before rubbing my eyes. I must really be losing it. "Coffee?"

"Are you pouting? Come on, get up, and we'll get some breakfast."

While going through our morning routine, Dean once again gurgled in an attempt to get a rise out of Sam, but Sam only looked like a big question mark. 

Dean spat, turning towards us. "What?"

"I don't know."

"You all right?"

"I think I—" Sam paused. "Man, I had a weird dream." 

My eyes clashed with his in the mirror, and I knew. He'd had the same dream I had.

"Yeah?" Dean mused. "Clowns or midgets?"

The rest of the day went exactly as it had in my dream, and a chill ran down my spine at the deja vu. Walking into the diner, the chaser telling Mr. Picket to drive safely, Doris telling Cal that he has to order something, and the booth Dean chose for us. 

"Hey. Tuesday," Dean mused. "Pig in a poke."

"It's Tuesday?" Sam asked, still oddly quiet. 

"Yeah," Dean confirmed. 

I caught Sammy's eyes, trying to silently communicate with him, only earning a furrow of his brows in return.

"Are you guys ready?" Doris asked.

"Just a coffee," I mumbled, focused on getting Sam's attention again.

"I'll have the special, side of bacon and a coffee," Dean said, and Sam just stared for a moment.

"Uh, nothing for me, thanks," he then answered.

"Let me know if you change your mind." Doris smiled and twirled around, leaving us. 

"I'm telling you, Sam, this job is small fry. We should be spending our time hunting down Bela," Dean said, sounding like a broken record. Getting no answer from his brother, he snapped his fingers in front of his face. "Hey. You with me?"

"What?"

"You sure you feel okay?" Dean pushed. 

Sam sighed. "You don't—you don't remember? Any of this?"

"Remember what?"

"This. Today. Like it's—like it's ... happened before?" Sam inquired.

"You mean like déjà vu?" His arm slid around my shoulders.

"No, I mean like, like it's really happened before."

"Yeah. Like déjà vu."

"No, forget about déjà vu," Sam bit back, annoyed. "I'm asking you if it feels like, like we're living yesterday all over again."

"Okay, how is that not dé—"

"Don't say it again, Dean," I warned, twisting to Sam. "I know what you mean. I had the weirdest dream..."

Doris arrived with our coffee again. "Coffee, black, and some hot sauce for the—oops! Crap!" When the hot sauce began to wobble and fell off the tray, Sam caught it, earning a gasp from the middle-aged waitress. "Thanks," she offered as he handed it back to her.

"Nice reflexes," Dean commented, but Sam just swallowed thickly, locking eyes with me. What the fuck was going on?

---

The dog tied to one of the lampposts barked as we passed it, just as Sam and I finished explaining to Dean.

"Guys, I'm sorry, but I don't know what the hell you're talking about," Dean drawled.

"Okay, look. Yesterday was Tuesday, right?" Sam began, not waiting for Dean to answer. "But today is Tuesday too." He both looked and sounded crazy as he spoke. I pulled a hand over my braids.

"Yeah. No. Good. You're totally balanced," Dean commented, not looking at him.

"So you don't believe me?!" Sam argued. 

Dean laughed, once again walking into the girl on the sidewalk, and this time I noticed she held a stack of paper.

"Excuse me," she apologized before continuing on her way.

"Look, I'm just saying that it's crazy, you know, I mean, even for us crazy. Dingo ate my baby crazy. Hey, maybe it was another of your psychic premonitions."

"If it was a premonition, I wouldn't have dreamt the same thing, Dean," I shot in. "I get that it sounds crazy, but Sam and I have the exact same memory of our dream!"

"It wasn't a dream," Sam pushed. "No, no way, way too vivid. Okay, look, we were at the Mystery Spot, and then—" He cut himself off, glancing at me, a question in his eyes. I shook my head slightly. 

"And then what?" Dean wanted to know.

Sam was silent for a moment as if reluctant to speak. I cut in before he did, "Then we woke up."

We passed the movers, who once more talked about the desk not fitting and the Pulitzer price, continuing until an intersection. 

"Wait a minute!" the younger hunter exclaimed, looking into my eyes. "The Mystery Spot. You think maybe it—"

"Maybe what?"Dean cut off.

Sam sighed. "We gotta check that place out. Look, just – go with me on this, okay?"

I bit my lip. Maybe Sam was right about something being off about that place. "I think we should," I said hesitantly, earning a frantic nod from Sammy. 

"All right, all right, we'll go tonight. After close, get ourselves a nice long look," Dean suggested.

"No!" I said way too fast, just as Sam seemed to see the problem with the suggestion, spinning to face Dean. 

"Wait, what? No."

"Why not?" Dean asked even more confused. 

"Uhh – Let's just go now. Right now. Business hours, nice and crowded." 

Dean rolled his eyes. "My God, you're a freak."

"Dean."

"Okay! Whatever. We'll go now," he relented, walking up ahead of me and Sam. 

"What do you think..." I cut off as a car careered down the road as if coming from nowhere, not slowing down. Dean just stepped out on the road, not seeing it. It slammed into him, making him smack into the windshield and roll over the roof of the car. 

"Dean!" I screamed, rushing over to him. 

"Dean, no, no, no." Sam and I sank to our knees by his side. His face was covered in scrapes, and blood trickled from his mouth and nose as he let out small pained gasps. 

"Come on! Dean."

I glanced over to the car that had come to a stop only a short distance away, watching as Mr. Picket from the diner stuck his head out from the driver's seat to look at us. 

I turned back to Dean Winchester, gently shaking his shoulders to get his attention. "Dean. Dean, please. Please, no." 

Panic set in when I realized that he had stopped moving altogether, his eyes unfocused, staring into the distance. 

---

Heat of the moment

My eyes snapped open, but this time I stared at the ceiling, shell-shocked. What the fuck? I waited for what I knew was coming. Hoping, praying, I was right. Not daring to look.

Telling you what your heart is

"Rise and shine!" Dean's voice came from the edge of the bed, and I released a shaky breath, slowly sitting up and meeting Sam's eyes.

As Dean gurgled, Sam and I stood back watching. I held a firm grasp around the younger Winchester's forearm as if he tethered me to reality.

---

"Hey. Tuesday. Pig in a poke."

"Okay, would you listen to me, Dean? 'Cause I am flipping out," Sam begged. Today I had opted to sit next to him, feeling a sense of comfort in the fact that he, too, remembered the two previous days. I had ruled out 'dream' by this point, which made me feel like a fucking lunatic. 

"Are you guys ready?" Doris asked, and Sammy rambled off Dean's order, not forgetting my coffee. 

"Sammy, I get all tingly when you take control like that," Dean commented with amusement as Doris left.

"Can you be serious for one second?" I bit out, perhaps a bit harsher than intended.

"Okay. Okay. I'm listening," he said, leaning forward and giving us his attention. "So, so – you think that you're in some kind of a what again?"

"Time loop," Sam and I answered at the same time. 

"Like 'Groundhog Day'?"

"Yes, exactly. Like 'Groundhog Day'," Sam exclaimed with a sigh, relieved that his brother seemed to understand.

Then Dean nodded, looking unconvinced. "Uh-huh."

"So you don't believe us?" Sam asked, exasperated, looking at me as if I could solve the problem.

Dean laughed. "It's just a little crazy, I mean, even for us crazy, you know, like, uh—"

"Dingo ate my baby crazy?" Sam and I rattled out in chorus. 

His eyes flittered between mine and Sammy's. "How'd you know I was going to say that?"

"Because you said it before, Dean, that's our whole point," Sam argued.

Doris returned with the order as if it was clockwork. "Coffee, black, and some hot sauce for the—whoops! Crap."

I didn't even look as I caught the sauce in my hand, handing it back to our waitress who then thanked me and left. 

"Nice reflexes," Dean commented. 

"Knew it was going to happen," I answered, leaning forward with my elbows on the table, challenging him to tell me I was wrong one more... 

Dean sighed. "Okay, look. I'm sure that there's some sort of an explanation—"

"You're just going to have to go with us on this, Dean, you just have to, you owe me that much!" Sam interrupted, placing a hand on my shoulder as my temper came to the end of its fuse.

"Calm down–"

"Don't fucking tell us to calm down," I snapped. He held up his hands in a placating gesture that reminded me to take a deep breath.

"I can't calm down. I can't. Because—" Sam cut himself off, and I sighed, reliving we had to tell him about what had happened the previous two days we had spent. 

"Because what?" Dean pressed.

"Because you die, today, Dean," Sam informed him. 

Dean scoffed. "I'm not gonna die. Not today."

"Twice now, I've watched you die, and I can't—" Sammy's voice broke off before he gathered himself again. I bit my lip, doing my best to control my own emotions. "I won't do it again, okay? You're just going to have to believe me. Please."

Whatever Dean saw in our eyes or heard in Sam's voice, at last, made him relent. "All right. I still think you're nuts, but okay, whatever this is, we'll figure it out."

---

As we left the cafe things continued as they had previously. There was a pattern to it. Barking dog, the girl colliding with Dean, the movers with poor ability to measure with their eyes. 

"And you think this cheesy-ass tourist trap has something to do with it?" Dean questioned as Sam finished telling him about the mystery spot. 

"Maybe it's the real deal, you know? The, the magnetic fields bending spacetime or whatever," Sam suggested. 

"I don't know, it all seems a little too "X-Files" for me," the older hunter commented. 

I slipped my hand into his, needing to feel him close. "Dean, we have no other lead. We have no other way to explain it."

"All right! All right. We'll go tonight after they close, get ourselves a nice long look."

"No, no, no, no, no, we can't," Sam protested, stopping us in our tracks. 

"Why not?"

"Because y–y–ou—" 

"I what?" Dean pressed, brows furrowed in confusion. 

"Dean," I mumbled, giving him a look.

"I die there?" he asked, baffled.

"Blown away, actually," Sammy informed him reluctantly. 

It took a few moments for the confirmation to sink in, but soon he was over it."Huh. Okay, let's go now."

He turns to continue walking, stepping right out into the street. I managed to stop him just as Mr Pickett's car came careening down the street and went past us. 

"Stay out of the way!" the old man called out from his window. 

My hand still held onto Dean with a bruising grip as he laughed in disbelief of the old man. Then he looked down at me, apparently seeing something in my expression.

"Wait, did he –?"

"Yesterday," Sam confirmed. "Yeah."

"And?"

"And what?"

"Did it look cool, like in the movies?" Dean asked, trying to play it cool. 

"Dean," I breathed, thinking he maybe didn't understand at all. He had died. Twice. And now he was making a joke out of it? I bit my lip before continuing, knowing he only tried to play down situations like the one Sam and I told him we were in when he was scared. 

"You peed yourself," Sam answered in irritation. 

There was a moment of quiet when Dean processed the words. Embarrassment flashed in his eyes before he continued to play cool. "Of course, I peed myself. Man gets hit by a car, you think he has full control over his bladder? Come on!"

He pulled me along with him, this time looking both sides of the street before crossing.

We quickly changed into clothes fitting for journalists and walked to the mystery spot, telling the owner we were looking to interview him. He seemed happy to oblige and met us in the same room where he had shot Dean only two "days" earlier. He seemed to have no recollection of the events, but I would never forget the way I saw his finger squeeze the trigger. Would never get the image of Dean dying, because of this man, out of my head. 

"Guys, I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. We could use all the good ink we can get," he said as we were a few questions in. Rationally I knew that the man in front of me was innocent. He hadn't killed Dean. That hadn't happened. Not really. But I couldn't help but force myself back so that I wouldn't jump him and press my gun to his head in the middle of all the children enjoying the bad illusions. The hate I felt made me see red, and I cautiously positioned myself behind the boys. 

"How long have you owned the place, Mr. Carpiak?" Sam asked while Dean pretended to take notes.

"Well, my family's been guarding the secrets here since you don't want to know when," Mr. Carpiak answered elusively. 

"So you'd know if anything strange happened."

"Strange? Strange happens here all the time. It's a Mystery Spot," the man chuckled.

"What exactly does that mean?" the younger Winchester insisted.

"Well, uh ... it's where the laws of physics" – he held out his hand, then twisted it in the air to seem mysterious–"have no meaning."

"Okay, like how?" Sam was growing angrier and angrier at the non-answers, and Dean had stopped taking notes, looking ready to pull him out if need be. 

"Take the tour," Mr Carpiak grinned, obviously missing the temper of the very dangerous man in front of him.

"The guy who went missing, Dexter Hasselback, he take the tour?" Dean interjected.

That made the owner come to pause. "Uh, uh, hold on a minute, what kind of article is this?"

"Answer. The. Question," I gritted out between my teeth. 

"The police scoured every inch of this place. They couldn't find that man. I never seen him before. We're a family establishment—"

Sam stepped closer to him, getting into his face. "Listen to me. There is something weird going on here. Now do you know anything about it or not?"

Mr. Carpiak paled visibly. "Okay. Look. Guys. Um. Give me a break. I bought the joint at a foreclosure auction last March, all right? Hell, I used to sell bail bonds."

I bared my teeth in annoyance but recognized that he was telling the truth. Had he been lying, he would have folded in front of the look Sam Winchester currently gave him.

"Okay, Kojak," Dean interfered before anything exciting happened. "Let's get some air."

He steered us both back out, and we switched back to our normal clothes, quickly walking back towards the motel. 

"Well, I hate to say it, but that place is exactly what I thought - it's full of crap," Dean declared. Darkness had fallen, and the streets had emptied except for the movers that were still working just a few steps away. My full attention was on Dean, though, as I tried to stay as close to him as possible. He was my beacon of sanity.

"Then what is it, Dean, what the hell is happening to us?" Sam asked, begging for answers none of us had.

"I don't know. All right, let me just –" Dean stopped us to talke. "So, every day I die."

"Yeah."  "Yeah." 

He looked between us. "And that's when you wake up again, right?"

"Yeah," Sam answered, and I nodded solemnly.

"So let's just make sure I don't die," the older Winchester said as if it was obvious. "If I make it to tomorrow, then maybe the loop stops, and we can figure all this out."

"That actually might work," I breathed. New hope ignited in me.

"You think?" 

"It's worth a shot," he continued. "I say we grab some takeout and head back to the motel, lay low until midnight."

I shared a look with Sam, slipping my hand from Dean's in order to squeeze his arm in excited hope. Dean made it sound so easy. It was truly calming. 

"All right, good. Who wants Chinese?" 

As Dean turned to leave, he only managed to get one step forward. Something heavy fell from the sky, crushing him on the spot and crashing him down into the pavement. The breath left me as I stared ash the gory mass of bone and blood, forcing my eyes away. I caught sight of the horrified movers, who seemed to have tried to find a new way of getting the bureau into the house by tying a rope around it and lifting it up to a window. The rope had snapped just as Dean stepped underneath it. 

Sam stared at the scene in shock, and I found that I couldn't take it anymore. I turned back and wretched.

---

Heat of the moment

I closed my eyes hard, trying to regain my breath as I woke up to a new day. I ignored the all-too-familiar phrases that were exchanged. The horrid song playing in the background. 

Telling you what your heart is The heat of the moment

Shown in your eyes

It was the heat of the moment

By the time we made it to the diner I had barely spoken a word, letting Sam explain everything again. Something inside me had broken irreparably. I could feel it. I had had enough. I had paid enough. Lately, each case seemed to take more and more from me, and now I had no more to give. 

"I still think you're nuts, but ... whatever this is, we'll figure it out," Dean said, stroking his hands over my knuckles in an affectionate way. My gaze lifted to his briefly, and he gave me a concerned look.

"Thanks," Sammy muttered from the other side of the table. 

"So, uh ... If you're stuck in 'Groundhog Day', why? What's behind it?" 

"Well, first I thought it was the Mystery Spot. Now I'm not so sure," Sam told him. "Will? Any new theories?"

"No." I shook my head, looking out of the window. 

"What do we do?"

"Well, we keep you breathing. Try to make it to tomorrow. I mean, that's the only thing I can think of," Sam explained.

"Shouldn't be too hard," Dean decided, thinking it was going to work. 

Sam sighed, not as hopeful as his brother. "Yeah, right. Dean, We've watched you die a few times now and we can't ever seem to stop it."

"Well, nothing's set in stone. You say I order the same thing every day, right?" 

"Yeah. Pig in a poke, side of bacon."

Dean turned towards the kitchen where Doris stood, talking to the chef. 

"'Scuse me, sweetheart?" he called out to catch her attention. "Can I get sausage instead of bacon?"

"Sure thing, hon," Doris called back. 

I turned back to the brothers as Dean pulled me in closer, probably sending I needed him as close as possible. "See? Different day already. You'll see, if you two and I decide that I am not gonna die – I'm not gonna die."

Doris walked over with Dean's breakfast. Sammy and I had both declined anything today. Dean thanked her for the service and then quickly dug in. He barely got the bite down before he started choking. 

"Dean. Dean?" Sam called out alarmed. We had no opportunity for further action, when I blinked, it was a new Tuesday. And Asia was playing on the radio. 

The following days were made up of different freak accidents and deaths. Over and over. Dean slipped in the shower and broke his neck. Dean ate a bad taco, a bad taco, and died of food poisoning. Electrocuted when he was going to plug in the electric razor. An accident involving an axe when Sam and I had a collective mental breakdown and tried to tear down the entire mystery spot building while keeping Mr. Carpiek hostage. The list goes on and on, day after day, and not once were Sam and I able o do a thing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.3K 786 33
And it's so strange that it hits her now, in this moment, that she wants to have sex with Sam Winchester. They've talked about it openly and traded b...
103K 2.4K 34
Ranking #10 in DeanWinchester 10/3/2021 Ranking #1 in SPNFanFiction 1/25/2021 [COMPLETED VERSION-UNDER EDITING] (This fanfiction is based off season...
1K 83 16
"Ok, now you've been properly screwed. And here I thought you would be a challenge," Nicole said with a click of her tongue. "Pity." "Double or nothi...
2.2K 117 21
In this rewrite of CW's hit TV Show 'Supernatural'. Y/N L/N is a longtime friend of the notorious Winchester Brothers, coming from a long line of hu...