Artificial Horizon - A César...

By 23meraki

You recently became part of the promotion team of the flag carrier of the country, and you're tasked to shoot... More

* Introduction *
I - Trade Winds
II - Squawk
III - Magnetic Bearing
IV - Glide Slope
V - Out of Trim
VI - Angle of Attack
VII - Shock Wave
VIII - Contrails
IX - INCERFA
XI - 7500
XII - Lift
XIII - Homing
XIV - Knot
XV - Slip
XVI - Skid
XVII: Occluded Front
XVIII: Crosswind
XIX: Field of Vision
XX: Line of Position
XXI: Catch Point
XXII: Inversion Layer
XXIII: Rule of Thumb
XXIV: Downdraft
XXV: Dewpoint
XXVI: Threshold
XXVII: Windshear
XXVIII: Blind Transmission
XXIX: Mean Sun
XXX: Confirm
XXXI: Approach
XXXII: Feather
XXXIII: Mist
XXXIV: Pre-ignition
XXXV: Spin
XXXVI: Swell
XXXVII - Point of No Return
XXXVIII - Decision Height
XXXIX - DETRESFA
XL - Gravity
XLI - Open-skies
XLII - Spoiler
XLIII - Final Approach
XLIV - Artificial Horizon
* The Story behind ARTIFICIAL HORIZON *
XLV - Adverse Yaw
XLVI - Course
XLVII - Coriolis Force
XLVIII - Headwind
XLIX - Rhumb Line
L - Acknowledge
LI - Landing
The Succeeding Years
* Lt. César Basa (1915-1941) *
* Photographs *
* Timeline of AH's creation *
* Creating the world of AH *
* Sources & Credits *
* Inspired Playlist *
Bonus Chapter - Line of Position (Extended Version)
Bonus Chapter - Line of Position (César's POV)
Bonus Chapter - Touchdown

X - Beacon

121 11 0
By 23meraki

A light or radio signal for navigational purposes. Switching on the beacon lights usually meant that the master switch is on; hence, alerting the people on ramp to proceed with caution as the aircraft may start its engine or move away from its parking.

* * *

December 3rd, 0000Z (0800LCL)
Aircraft registration: Airbus A321-231 | RP-C9918
Departure: RPMD | Francisco Bangoy International Airport, Davao, Philippines
Arrival: RPVM | Mactan-Cebu International Airport, Cebu, Philippines
Flight route: RPMD - JOFE3P - JOFER - W8 - BOHOL - BOHOL1 - RPVM
(RPMD – JOFE3P – JOFER – W8 – BOHOL – BOHOL1 - RPVM)

After today's morning flight from Davao to Cebu, with passengers with us in order not to have a ferry flight alone, everyone decides to use the rest of the day to our own liking. For once, the schedule had been quite free, and it also makes me have a good excuse to spare myself from meeting Elian more. With the latest dream, I am also starting to grow cautious of having to interact with Capt. Zablan, knowing what his fate is in my dream, but his happy-go-luck nature definitely didn't help enough when I am the one assigned for the cameras installed in the cockpit for the flight. Thankfully, it is all the rest of interactions that I need to deal with until being given a free signal to spend the rest of the day how I want it.

After all, the only reason that we can slack somehow like this is because Cebu is still the airline's secondary hub. In short, even if the airlines will be needing to pay for the overnight stays of the aircraft, it isn't as expensive as a stay to an airport not considered a hub.

However, the folded jacket on top of my packed clothes is like a mockery to me that there is no chance for me to escape a confrontation. If I ever want to keep a professional relationship with him, it is better to make that as a statement. Thankfully, Elian is yet to do something that will cause a lot of raised eyebrows.

I mean, he said before that me having his jacket will cause an additional flare of commotion and gossip about what is truly going on between us. When I first feared that he will take it on his own ways, it seems like he just let it go as how he wants it to be and nothing more. In the first place, it appears like he is just playing tricks with me.

To make some sort of finality to it, I decide that I'll be returning his coat to him not later this day. Since it had been in my possession for a few days, it is only proper of me to have it cleaned before being returned. And since it isn't a suit jacket or what, I just search for a laundry shop.

I swear that the cashier at the shop looked at me in question about what I am actually thinking of only having a jacket to be cleaned and dried, and nothing more. I mean, I have clothes worth of for the rest of our trip and I fear that it will cost me more to add that of my own. Hence, even if the jacket weighs below the minimum, I am willing to pay the necessary cost for a kilo and the soap to be used. And due to the quantity, I am all out of the laundry shop in less than thirty minutes.

Before heading back to the hotel, I take a quick lunch and stay by the seaside while treating myself some ice cream. I know that I need it, especially upon realizing at our arrival where we are supposed to be staying at.

"Siguro 'di niyo na inabutan 'yong dating airport dito sa Cebu, ano?" Capt. Zablan asked the rest of us by the time we're disembarking the plane, and then he laughs. "Though hindi pa naman ako ganoon katanda para maging piloto at that time. But family travels. However, a little bit of history. At that former airport din nagmula 'yong eroplano ni Ramon Magsaysay bago mag-crash doon sa may Balamban. Pero matagal-tagal pa rin bago pinasara 'yon dahil nga sa ginagawang improvement dito sa current airport."

"May mga possible markers ba kung nasaan 'yong dating airport na 'yon, capt?" Kathleen asked, clearly gaining ideas and influences to be added to an already outlined storyline for the shooting.

Capt. Zablan just shrugged and answered, "None. Just the crash site ng kay Magsaysay sa Balamban; but wala na sigurong natira na remnants ng dating airport. Coincidentally, 'yong hotel na naka-set ng airlines for layover crews and sa atin ngayon had been on that area, too."

"Sayang naman 'yong gano'ng piece of history."

"Yes. But that's practically part of the evolution of time. Everything will sooner or later be gone; all we can hope is that someone remembers that we once exist."

I don't need to be too bright to connect a few dots and dare to risk exploring more. That on the way to the hotel, I search for 'the said airport from where Magsaysay departed before his death', and this time, Google didn't fail me to give the details that it had been Lahug Airfield.

I take a bite of the ice cream and then sigh heavily. I am not hopeless that I am running away from that of my dreams, but just the knowledge how my dreams and my reality is starting to have no boundary is creeping like some scary feeling down my skin.

It is true that I remember my dreams; that only lead me to not doubt myself in thinking that the Lahug Airfield here is the same one that César had mentioned to have come from for who knows how long their deployment had been before returning back to Manila. And finding how futile I am concerning dates between here and there, I didn't take the risk of even searching once more about World War II and just let the present time matter than that of the past.

My phone beeps and vibrates, and upon checking my recently received text message, it seems like Lara, another one from our promotion team, asks me where I am for lunch. I take a quick snap of my current view here by the seaside, ensuring that I capture a good view of the CCLEX bridge, sending it to her and telling her that I already had my lunch. A few seconds later, I receive a reply from her saying that I must take care and enjoy the rest of my free-day today, and I shall definitely join them for dinner.

I didn't answer back and just return back my phone deep in my pockets. It isn't that I am not close with my colleagues but seeing them, like the rest of the flight and cabin crews, are like reminders to my dreams; as they are also present in it, though only in flashes and fleeting ones compared to a respective few. I am starting to fear my own sanity if that dreamscape continues; however, in a way, it is also like some sort of an escape.

After finishing my ice cream, I finally decide to face the rest of my realities' fears.

* * *

'Di ba't sabi ko na iaabot ko lang 'yong coat and we're back to being professionals with one another? Pero tangina... parang imposible kapag si Elian ang concern!

"Ah. Hindi mo naman kailangan labhan pa," he says after taking the well-packed newly cleaned and neatly folded coat from me. The two of us crossed paths at the ground floor's elevator hall—the classic moment that I am returning back to my floor, and him planning to walk out of the hotel. Now, the two of us are at the lobby, having this rather awkward conversation. "And akala ko talaga hindi mo na rin ibabalik dahil mukhang iniiwasan mo ako dahil sa sinabi ko."

"No. Ibabalik ko rin talaga. Hindi ko pa lang nahahanapan ng pagkakataon na ipa-laundry bago ibalik sa iyo. Noong una, hindi ko na talaga dapat ipapalaba at ibabalik na rin kaagad, pero hindi na kita naabutan no'n sa may elevator," I answer. "Pasensya na kung ngayon ko lamang naibalik."

"It's fine." He sighs heavily and opens the package himself. Standing from his seat and wearing the jacket right now over his smart casual attire, he takes a quick sniff of the collar and then asks me, "What time is the schedule for the photoshoot tomorrow?"

"Ah! Wait." I pick up my phone at once, scrolling then through my calendar. "Let's see... Mga around eleven pa naman ang first shoot tomorrow sa may Sto. Niño Church, then pick-up ng gamit mula rito for a quick-change para naman sa airport shoot before moving out for Bohol. I think nakausap na ni Ma'am Kathleen 'yong—"

"I see. Okay lang din pala," he interrupts. "Well, if that's the case, no need to wait for me tomorrow. I'll just head straight to the shooting location myself as given."

"W-Wait." I immediately stand from my seat and stop him from just walking on like that from me. "Saan mo binabalak pumunta? I mean, hindi dahil sa curious ako sa personal life mo but it is also part of my duty na I have our actors accounted for."

"Sa tingin mo ba mawawala ako o hindi ako sisipot bukas?" he counters as he looks back at me.

"Hindi sa gano'n. What I mean is, kahit papaano, kailangan na aware kami kaysa na hindi namin alam kung saan kayo hahanapin if ever na may—"

"Isabela."

Ha? Ano raw?

Elian sighs heavily. "Papunta akong Isabela."

Ah... akala ko naman na may pupuntahan siyang babae o nakalimot siya ng pangalan ko o ano pa man. Ayon naman pala ay—Pero tangina. Pinagloloko niya ba ako? 'Di ba ang Isabela ay... up there north? I mean, mas north pa compared sa Manila; somewhere south of Tuguegarao?

He crosses his arms and smiles, suppressing himself from laughing. "Rookie," he calls for me first. "I know my geography. Kaya hindi naman ako nag-iisip na subukan pumunta ngayon ng Cauyan, Isabela. Ang ibig kong sabihin ay Isabela, Negros Occidental."

I flush, definitely sure that the only reason he explains it to me is because it is surely evident on my expression the question about that impractical and possible decision of his to be up north. I'll be honest that I've been embarrassed being caught-handed that my geography isn't that much in-depth.

"That's fine. It is actually normal para sa mga hindi talaga geography geek; but I guess, being pilots meant that we need to be geeks with that, aside from just the concept of flying."

"Negros is just the next island over, right? I mean, very much like Bohol na pwede kang mag-roro."

"Yeah. Though you'll definitely need to cross the horizontal distance of this part of Cebu to the other for the port for Negros. Because it's on the western side. Bohol's just southeast from here."

Definitely a geography geek, I almost comment.

Suddenly, I remember something. A memory clicks in place as I hold him off still from leaving at once and say, "W-Wait. Negros 'yong popular sa barquillos, ano? 'Yong sa mga biscocho, napoleones, at piaya?"

Elian looks at me, for a moment, as if I suddenly gain another head, and after a moment, he chuckles. "Well, definitely not a geography geek but a foodie rookie. And you've basically just stated all of the delicacies of Negros yourself."

I smile in return. "Ikaw na ang nagsabi. I am also a foodie. Pero hindi naman sobra; dahil panigurado na tatanungin mo ako bakit hindi na lang ako pumasok sa isang promotion team concerning foods."

"Siguro sa susunod ko na lang itatanong." He looks on at his wristwatch before looking on at my hand holding his wrist that causes me to immediately let him go. But before I can apologize, he remarks, "I know the best shop for those delicacies. Pwede kitang samahan; well, if gusto mo lang. Since iniiwasan mo nga ako these past few days."

"Tsk... Hindi kita iniiwasan. Hindi lang sa nakakahiyang ma-link sa iyo or what, pero paniguradong hindi rin naman ideal na magmukhang I am pinning on you."

"If that's the case, as colleagues working for the same company, okay lang na makita tayong magkasama. Kahit lang sa pagbili ng pasalubong, 'di ba?"

I bite my lower lip, feeling like I am walking straight in to some trap.

As I've always known, the likes of Elian Basa is a great mystery compared to how César Basa from my dreams seem otherwise. However, as this conversation appears to be the longest we have since I've known him, it feels like I am breaking a few barriers. I don't know what he is planning right now but he is certainly not going to do something that will taint the name of the airlines and even risk his hard-earned pilot's license, right?

In the end, I nod and agree to be introduced to that said delicacy store.

* * *

Aside from how easily flowing my conversation with Elian had been, which is a refreshing one, I learn that he is able to speak like a native. After all, based on what I can somehow point out, he converses with the hailed taxi driver in Cebuano as fluently as he speaks English and Tagalog without even any evident accent that if one will be hearing him speak in Tagalog, it will appear like it is the only Filipino dialect he had known throughout his life.

After speaking with the taxi about our destination and agreeing on, he settles back on his seat just a foot away from me at the back passenger seat. He turns to me and addresses, "So... nakapunta ka na ba ng Negros para malaman mo 'yong mga delicacies na iyon? Or talagang malawak lang ang research mo concerning foods than anything else?"

"Hindi pa. Though nasa bucket list ko. And kaya ko lang naman nalaman ang tungkol doon ay dahil kay Capt. Conde," I answer.

He blinks, somehow surprised. "Kay Emmanuel?" he inquires. With how he basically just says the first name of the respective pilot means that they are close or had known one another to address each other on a first name basis alone without even further honorifics.

"Oo. Mga one month pa lamang ako sa promotion team tapos usap-usapan na 'yong tungkol sa mga posibleng kunin for this promotional shoot, tapos nagpaabot si Capt. Conde ng mga kahon ng mga iyon sa team. Akala namin noong una pang-blackmail niya sa amin para kunin namin siya bilang isa sa mga possible actors and models para sa shoot na ito."

"Hmm... 'yon ba 'yong mga June?"

"As in ang dami kasi talaga na kahit nagustuhan namin, dumating na sa point na naumay na rin kami. Dahil doon, tinanggal namin ang Bacolod at Iloilo sa mga pwedeng gawing shooting locations. Parang hindi namin maaatim na pumunta sa mga lugar na iyon ng hindi naalala kung paano namin sinuklam 'yong mga 'yon after two weeks. Kaya ipinamigay na rin namin sa ibang departments."

"Before that, nakatikim ka na rin ba ng mga ganoon?"

"Oo. Favorite kasi ni mama ang biscocho, tapos may kaibigan ako noong college na binibigyan ng boyfriend niya ng barquillos at piaya na hindi niya naman gusto kaya binibigay niya sa amin. At feeling ko, 'yon din 'yong popular na brand talaga dahil noong nakita ko 'yong binigay ni Capt. Conde at that time, ganoon din 'yong packaging ng binibigay sa kaibigan ko. Pero... hindi ko naman lagi maalala kung ano 'yong tatak. 'Yong parang kapag nakita ko lang 'yong packaging, doon ko masasabi na 'yon nga 'yon?"

He shrugs his shoulders. "I don't know. Baka iba rin 'yong alam ko na delicacy shop compared sa alam mo na brand, but I can attest that it is the best or the original there is. So I have high hopes na 'di ka ma-disappoint."

"Well, better yet na ma-test din ang iba para pwedeng may ibang choices din. But ngayong naalala ko na naman 'yong nangyari last June..." I sigh heavily. "I really hope na hindi nagalit si Capt. Conde noong hindi siya napasama para sa shoot na ito."

"Knowing Emmanuel, I don't think he'll take such a childish grudge as that."

"Thanks for the assurance, but I'll only be assured much more kung si Capt. Conde talaga ang magsasabi sa amin about that."

The car then stops before the taxi driver addresses Elian in Cebuano once more. The two of them settle on the fee and by the time that the two of us move out of the car, I worry that there must be some mistake about our destination.

"Uhm, capt?" This is my first time finally needing to address him, and it had been so formal for an honorific. But seriously, it is only my instinct to do so upon finding out where we are right now. "Seryoso ba na dito 'yong tinutukoy mo na delicacy shop?"

"Just a waypoint." Elian throws me a cocky smile before heading in to the open shop labeled as: A1 Cebu Self-drive Car Rental.

* * *

A/N: Vote, comment and share! Whatever you do means a lot to me, and I am really wishing for some feedback!

A few list of notes/flight trivia to share!
1. An airline's hub is categorized into two: main hub and secondary hub. Main hub is usually where most of their flights are originated from and to; while secondary hub may act like a main hub but with lesser frequencies of flight. Airlines pay airports for ramp turnaround times and overnight parkings and tows and lights and everything else outside the plane. For example, NAIA provides a grace period of 1 and a half hour for airlines to use a respective bay area for free; any succeeding minute will be payment. There's also a difference between fees of landing and takeoff during civil sunrise and civil sunset, due to the usage of runway and taxi lights. I can go on and on with airport expenses but you'll definitely get bored knowing all about it. Anyway, airlines choosing hubs are definitely like having the planes some sense of "home".
2. Lahug Airfield is formerly the commcercial airport at Cebu before the opening and operation of its current one. But way before then, Lahug was used as a PAAC's 6th Observation and Attack Squadron, which is, if you've read the chapter Lt. César Basa (1915-1941), there's a mention of him and a few others being recalled from Lahug before the induction of PAAC to the USAFFE and the recreation of the Sixth Pursuit Squadron.

Chapter title: Beacon. Beacon is one of the lights that seeing it turned on means that the master switch for the electrical equipment essential prior the ignition of the engine is on; hence, a propeller could be spinning in the next minute or two once it is switch on. Hence, deciding this for the chapter is like a reminder for the Reader, too; that there is some short fuse out there ready to combust...

Follow me on twitter @23meraki for more updates and trivia. ;)
#CFBArtificialHorizon

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.7K 174 43
Drac and Y/n's first born Son died (Darell) he was killed by an unknown person covered with black clothes in the forest, Y/n was there, the Man with...
38.4K 1.3K 23
Based on the urban legend of Texas Chainsaw, I bring to you the new version of this blood splattering, spine tingling, body shivering book... School...
68.8K 2.4K 20
Levy is a princess of the kingdom of Magnolia, with her two sisters, Erza and Wendy. Gajeel is a servant of the royal family, who looks after the th...
5.9M 462K 95
Sitting on the bed, I was waiting for my husband to arrive. It was our wedding Night. I rolled my toes as the visuals of him slowly touching my cheek...