The Bad Batch: Tech and Vel

By CT-9902

During the Clone Wars, the Bad Batch is tasked with a variety of missions across the galaxy. An unexpected ad... More

1. Interference
2. Indignation
3. Interdependence
4. Instigation
5. Insight
6. Interest
7. Invitation
8. Intentions
9. Interception
10. Injustice
11. Intellect
12. Injury
13. Ingenuity
14. Incitation
15. Undercover
17. Undermined
18. Unrequited
19. Unpredictable
20. Upended
21. Unveil
22. Return
23. Revelation
24. Revilement
25. Repentance
26. Refreshment
27. Relentlessness
28. Resonance
29. Reactivity
30. Costuming
31. Conspiracy
32. Catastrophe
33. Contentment
34. Cohabitation
35. Completion

16. Untraditional

574 31 55
By CT-9902

Vel was shocked at the team's appearance. Crosshair looked incredibly suave, and the sight of Hunter with a man-bun was a disproportionate delight. Her eyes continued to Wrecker, and she broke into a smile at the sight of his handlebar mustache, shaking her head affectionately. She shifted her gaze to the end, where she found Tech leaning slightly sideways on the bar. 

Her smile faded and her eyes widened a bit at the sight of him. His blacks and armor had been replaced with a brown wool suit that was reminiscent of an older time period. Somehow, he had found one that fit him perfectly, from the trousers to the jacket with its smart little pocket square. Underneath that was a matching brown vest, into which he had tucked a perfectly-folded tie and a dress shirt. His collar was buttoned all the way up, and his signature goggles were overshadowed by a matching newsboy cap that somehow made his jawline stand out even more. 

She noticed him looking at her then, and dropped her eyes to ensure she didn't tumble down the remaining stairs. Her heart beat faster in her chest as she wove through the crowd to the bar counter, clutching a shiny black purse in one hand and her skirt in the other. As she reached their group, she stood in front of them all, feeling wildly out of her comfort zone and entirely unsure what to say. 

"Hi," she said almost shyly, eyes fixed on the foot of one of the stools. "Sorry to make you wait."

"You look amazing!" Wrecker said, giving her a push on the shoulder that was intended to be gentle but still almost knocked her over. "Look at you!"

"Yes," Tech chimed in, and at the sound of his voice, she felt a quick clench in her chest. It was then that she looked up, meeting his gaze. She couldn't believe how different he looked, and she also couldn't believe how it was making her feel. It was the same old Tech, from his eyes to his posture, but the way the vest curved across his chest and the whole suit tightened around his waist...

"You are exceedingly beautiful this evening," Tech continued, and Vel felt as if she were glowing, at least before he finished: "You are excellent bait for the unintelligent male gaze."

"There it is," Hunter said, and Crosshair's lips gave the hint of a smile as he stood up, finishing his drink while Hunter continued. "Okay, so we do whatever we can to help Vel catch his eye without being obvious. Once you do," he said, addressing her now, "You charm him into showing you around. When you figure out where the lab is, you put your marker on the doorframe and tap it twice. Got it?" 

"Got it," Vel said, anxiously smoothing the front of her dress and shifting from one foot to the other.

"Hey," Hunter said, reaching out and tipping her chin up with a single finger underneath. His simmering presence caught her off guard, and she met his gaze with a surprised gawk. "That's not who you are tonight, remember?" His eyes were warm, voice encouraging, and she resolved to complete her task to the best of her ability.

"Right," she replied, and, taking one last deep breath, stepped back, lifting her head and putting on an air of uninterested confidence, as if this were just another day in her boring, rich life. 

"That's more like it," Hunter said, giving the tip of her nose one tiny tap. "You're too good for Jouren Terrik. Unattainable, and therefore irresistible. Now go get 'em."

Vel nodded, then turned to face the gambling floor, searching for the Pantoran. What she didn't see was Tech's face behind her as he caught sight of her other side. Her sleek white dress was fastened behind her neck with one dainty bow, leaving the entire curve of her back exposed until the satin came over her hips and joined in the middle in a rounded V.

Tech's breath caught in his throat and his datapad fell slightly to the side in his hand, the corner meeting the counter with a quiet thunk. His eyes took in her intricately twisted hair, following the stately column of her neck and the graceful valley of her spine down to her lower back, where the dress came together and a cascade of shimmering fabric lay in luxurious folds. His mouth felt suddenly dry, and he felt a strong urge to reach out and trace a hand down her back, to see how soft was her skin, how gentle her curves. The sheer rush of everything at once was overwhelming.

He tore his eyes from her figure to look at his brothers, trying to reorient himself, and was met with two knowing grins and one smug smirk. His expression quickly turned into one of indignation, but his impending lecture was postponed as Hunter gave him a gentle pat on the shoulder. 

"Just try to stay focused."

***

About half an hour later, Vel found herself at a dice table with her back to the target. Terrik was soaking up the attention of a herd of women and a handful of admiring chaps at the table behind her, laughing and making a show of having a different adoring fan blow on the dice each time. He was impossible to miss, with bright blue skin featuring intricate golden patterns on his cheeks and chin. He was not much taller than Vel but made up for it with a charismatic presence that filled the space around him. 

His voice was surprisingly quiet, a smooth-talker if Vel ever saw one. He would whisper something in the ear of a woman next to him, earning himself a giggle and a blush as well as the eager smiles of the rest of those nearby, hoping for their turn. She groaned inwardly at the task set before her, one that she felt that literally any other member of the team would be more suited for. 

She had tried a few times to stand at Terrik's table but didn't want to look too obvious. He apparently was easily put-off by anyone who appeared too desperate, using them simply to further his image rather than for any object of serious pursuit, so her job was to be more alluring than direct. She had tried to catch the eye of some other men nearby but hadn't received much more than a polite nod of the head. So far, it was not going well.

"She's gonna need a hand, Hunter," Crosshair said, tapping his foot impatiently. "Or we'll be here for weeks."

"Any ideas?" Hunter replied, stroking his chin. This was still strategy, but not the type he had been accustomed to since his creation. 

"You'll probably need to follow my lead after I'm done," Crosshair answered with a roll of his eyes, putting his toothpick in his mouth as he slid off his stool and sauntered over to Vel's table. 

She was surprised by Crosshair's arrival, and almost started talking to him with familiarity when he sidled up next to her, setting down two drinks on the table's edge, but he drew close and put a finger to her lips with a distinctly foxy air. Her eyebrows shot up for a second before she regained her composure. 

"Ssshhh", he said, speaking slightly louder than usual, "Alright, beautiful. I'll make this simple."

Vel stared at him, forcing her jaw to stay closed. It was such a shocking contrast to his usual attitude. He looked like a cat that had found its mouse... but in a horny way. She cleared her throat, trying to keep her expression one of mild disinterest as he continued.

"Here's a drink," Crosshair said, ensuring Terrik could hear him. "Have a sip and listen. You and I could have a real good time. I can tell you're the type that likes a bit of... adventure." His voice was velvety smooth, and he put the glass into her hand before dropping his finger to her arm, tracing it gently from wrist to elbow as he tilted his head, fixing her with a simmering stare that almost scared her. Why was he so good at this? 

"Perhaps I do," Vel replied, matching his volume and trying to sound as sultry as she could, trying not to think about how forced she must have sounded, "But you're not my type. Maybe try that Twi'lek over there."

"You'd be surprised how many people find that I'm just their type," Crosshair returned, squinting his eyes and leaning in a bit. Damn, he was ridiculously convincing. He lazily took the toothpick from his mouth, rolling it between his fingers, "And they all seem to be beautiful women like you who judge me by one glance... then find themselves sighing my name later."

Out of the corner of her eye, Vel saw Terrik glance over his shoulder, giving her a quick look up and down. His gaze lingered on her back for a moment before the dealer handed the dice back to him, and he turned back to his table. Feeling emboldened, she stood from her seat, tucking her purse under one arm and finishing the drink. "Lovely for them," she said, giving his cheek a teasing touch, "But not worth my time right now." And with that, she glided away toward the waiter droid, conveniently in Terrik's line of sight, picked up another flute of sparkling spirits, lifted it in a playful toast, took a sip, and disappeared toward the refresher. 

Crosshair returned to the bar, nose wrinkled as if he'd just stepped in bantha poodoo. Wrecker laughed and clapped as he approached, "I never thought I'd see that!"

"I want to get to bed sometime before dawn," Crosshair muttered.

"It was an effective strategy..." Tech admitted, though his brow was furrowed as he regarded his brother, "...as it appears Terrik's interest has been piqued. Did you notice him look to see where she had gone? Perhaps you are onto something."

"You sound surprised," Crosshair returned evenly. 

***

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

 YOU GUYS!!! There is ARTWORK for this chapter, courtesy of @Vulsixx

Feast your eyes on the undercover squad. ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 146 26
When chaos finds Talia, a quiet farm girl with an unknown past, who better to turn to than the bad batch? Traveling the galaxy, and fighting for the...
30.1K 1.1K 29
" α΄‘Κœα΄€α΄› α΄„α΄€Ι΄ ʏᴏᴜ ᴅᴏ ? ʏᴏᴜ ' ʀᴇ α΄Šα΄œκœ±α΄› ᴏɴᴇ Ι’ΙͺΚ€ΚŸ . " πŸ”± " ᴇxα΄€α΄„α΄›ΚŸΚ . " 🌊 KODA OKATO the last of her kind finds help from the BAD BATCH to save her people...
5.3K 146 28
*I do not own any Star Wars characters or the Star Wars storyline, I own my stories and I used a collage app for the cover* The book we've all been w...
54.1K 1.8K 94
*SEQUEL* to my first TBB fanfiction titled "Stealth and Track" The adventures of Fern, Omega, and the boys of the Bad Batch continue after the destru...