Mismatched Compatibility (A a...

By fallenbabybubu

What if fate's playing a cruel joke on you because your soulmate annoys the heck out of you, despite sharing... More

Mismatched Compatibility
Mismatched Compatibility (1)
Mismatched Compatibility (2)
Mismatched Compatibility (4)
Mismatched Compatibility (5)
Mismatched Compatibility (6)
Mismatched Compatibility (7)
Mismatched Compatibility (8)
Mismatched Compatibility (9)
Mismatched Compatibility (10)
Mismatched Compatibility (11)
Mismatched Compatibility (12)
Mismatched Compatibility (13)
Mismatched Compatibility (14)
Mismatched Compatibility (15)
Mismatched Compatibility (16)
Mismatched Compatibility (17)
Mismatched Compatibility (18)
Mismatched Compatibility (19)
Mismatched Compatibility (20)
Mismatched Compatibility (21)
Mismatched Compatibility (22)
Mismatched Compatibility (23)
Mismatched Compatibility (24)
Mismatched Compatibility (25)
Mismatched Compatibility (26)
Mismatched Compatibility (27)
Mismatched Compatibility (28)
Mismatched Compatibility (29)
Special Chapter: Viria
Mismatched Compatibility (Epilogue)

Mismatched Compatibility (3)

225K 4.3K 466
By fallenbabybubu

Ethan:

The food really helped to lighten up my mood. But the talking brought it back down.

I hated being ignored. It was like this girl knew it because she kept bringing up a topic that only she and Luke could talk about, subjects that she was sure I wouldn't know and couldn't contribute a thought to.

Luke kept shooting me glances. I was positive that he could tell from my expression what I was feeling. And it wasn't anything good.

So as soon as I finished eating, I drank the rest of my soda before turning to the girl who was dangerously testing my patience.

“When are you going to explain about that kiss?” I asked her nonchalantly.

Luke stared at me questioningly. But before I could continue, a felt a hard object hit me on the knee. Sharp pain instantly cursed through me.

“What the hell, Blondie?” I demanded, glaring at Daniella.

She already hit me twice in one day. I couldn't mask my fury anymore.

Ignoring me, she said calmly, “You mean the kiss my friend gave you.”

I rolled my eyes. “Whatever floats your boat.”

“I think she'd rather not tell you,” she continued. “From the looks of it, you can't handle complex matters.”

“That's your problem,” I countered, leaning back on my seat and crossing my arms. “You think some things are complex when they're really just simple.”

“I'm quite sure I know the difference between the two. The question is, do you?” she challenged, raising an eyebrow at me.

I smirked. “You know, changing the subject won't make me shut up about it. Your friend has no idea how persistent I can be.”

She didn't reply, studying me – the way she did when we were in the plane, checking if I was really telling the truth.

Ha! For one, I was an epically good liar. For two, no way in hell would she know if I was being honest because she barely knew me. And lastly, I wasn't lying. I wouldn't let her walk all over me like that, using me for something I had no idea about.

We had a staring contest for a good five minutes until she finally let out an exasperated sigh. I grinned triumphantly.

“My friend saw her ex-boyfriend slash best friend unexpectedly,” she began, looking at me with an unreadable face. “She went into shock after seeing him again. And since it's been over a year after they broke up, she wanted to –”

“Make him jealous,” I finished for her.

She grimaced. “Of course not,” she said indignantly. “She only wanted to show him that she can handle herself now – that she wasn't the same delicate little girl she used to be. He and the others don't need to worry about her any longer.”

“See? That wasn't so 'complex', was it?”

She shot me a look, but I only gave her a smirk.

“In short,” I concluded thoughtfully, pursing my lips, “you don't want him to pity you.”

I caught her wince at my words.

I'd bet anything that the guy was some sort of ladies man. Their conversation earlier indicated something like that. And if so, he probably moved on pretty quick after their break-up. That meant Daniella would look pitiful.

It made me wonder if she had already moved on from it. Over a year had already passed since then, after all.

“What are your plans now?” I asked.

“I'm going to a hotel to stay in for next few days,” she answered quickly, shrugging like it wasn't a big deal.

Huh. Well, good. I didn't want her to stay at mine in the first place.

“You're staying around town?” queried Luke.

I blinked a couple of times. Damn, I've almost forgotten that he was with us. I realized that I was easily distracted by my surroundings today. What was up with me?

“Yes,” nodded Daniella. “I told Peter that I'll be staying here for a while before going to the city.”

I snorted. “She forgot to mention the fact that she introduced to me to that faggot as her fcking boyfriend, and told him that I'm taking her home to meet my folks.”

At this, Luke's eyes widened. I found it pretty funny since he didn't get surprised very often. There even came a point when I thought that nothing in this world could shock him anymore.

“Peter's not a . . . faggot,” defended Daniella. “And can you please not swear?”

“Awe, why?” I mocked, leaning towards her. “Is the princess's innocence getting stained by my choice of words?”

“It's not polite.”

“Who says that I am?”

We had another round of staring contest. No problem with me – I could go all day, babe. But this time around, Luke stepped in.

“I can't believe you did that,” he whispered distractedly.

Daniella glanced at him. I could swear she looked a little ashamed.

“I know. I'm sorry.”

“What?” Luke asked her, his brows furrowing in confusion. “I'm talking about Ethan.” And then, he turned to me – amusement clear in his eyes. “I can't believe you let Dana introduce you as her boyfriend. I mean, if you denied what she said she wouldn't be here right now.”

Sometimes, I hated having smart friends.

“Why, what would he have done on a normal occasion?” Daniella asked curiously, like she wanted to hear some dirt about me.

She wanted to know what would happen, huh? Let me tell her, then.

“I'd leave you on the spot,” I answered tonelessly before Luke could.

Daniella's eyes slowly turned to me.

“So why didn't you?” she asked.

It took me a moment to answer that question because truthfully, I wasn't very sure myself. And I wasn't really in the mood to reflect on my actions right now.

“I like to help a damsel in distress every once in a while,” I made up, shrugging. “But not to the point that I'd take a random girl home to meet my parents.”

“Not to worry,” Daniella smiled sweetly, but I knew that kind of smile well enough to know that it was anything but sweet. “I'd rather stay alone in a mediocre hotel room than spend the night with a pervert such as you.”

“Careful, babe,” I warned her, waggling my forefinger at her. “Tons of girls would do anything just to spend a night with this handsome pervert.”

“I feel sorry for those girls' way of thinking.”

I burst out laughing.

Honestly, if she didn't get on my nerves because of her uptight character, I'd totally like her to have as a friend. She was cool, in a way. I guessed that was because she didn't put up with any of my crap. And she didn't think like most girls did.

I mean, seriously. Who in their right mind would turn me down?

“You guys are entertaining to watch,” commented Luke quietly.

My head turned towards him, and I saw him smiling.

Oh, shit. I knew that look.

So before he could come up with a crazy thought like Daniella and I were perfect for each other, I cleared my throat and slid out of the booth.

“Let's bounce.”

I pulled out a few bills when I suddenly thought of something. My lips stretched into an evil grin.

I was a genius.

“What did you order again?” I asked Daniella innocently, as she got up from her seat.

“Tofu Enchiladas,” she replied, looking at me a little suspiciously.

Luke glanced at me, too. But I ignored their looks.

“Okay,” I nodded casually.

After that, I placed the bills on the table and headed out. I gave Wendy, the mother-like brunette waitress who had been working here since forever, a wink as we passed her. She shook her head at me like she was used to it. And she was, actually.

We were almost at the door when I heard her catch up with us.

“Um, miss!”

I grinned real wide before I wiped it off just as quick to act innocent.

“You haven’t paid for your meal yet,” Wendy informed Daniella, when we stopped to face her.

Daniella blinked. “I beg your pardon?”

I muffled a chuckle.

Ever the polite rich kid, I thought.

“You haven’t paid for your meal yet,” repeated Wendy kindly.

I got to hand it to her, for a woman nearing her forties; she was getting kinder and kinder as the years passed by.

Daniella then looked at me with an expression of disbelief.

“What?” I asked plainly.

“Didn’t you pay for the meal?”

“I did.”

“Did you pay for mine?”

“Should I have?”

“Yes!” she partly shrieked, throwing her arms like she couldn’t believe she’d meet someone as dumb as me.

I’m not dumb. I just don’t like you.

“Courtesy, remember?” she continued.

“I barely know you,” I gasped in mock horror, putting a hand on my chest.

“That is customary. Knowing my bio data is not a pre-requisite.”

She spoke like a freaking robot!

I chortled through my nose. I just couldn’t keep a straight face anymore.

I’m gonna shit my pants if I keep this up.

“And using big words won’t make me pay for you,” I said lightly, after clearing my throat.

“Wow,” she scoffed. “I didn’t realize your brain’s incredibly tiny that those measly words get tangled up in your mind.”

I laughed humorlessly, not letting her words get to me.

If she said that to me when I was in high school, she’d be dead meat. But I trained myself in the past years not to get easily offended. My short temper always got me in trouble, see. Aaron and Luke helped me with that.

“You should pay for that,” I whispered to her, pointing to the paper in Wendy’s hand. And then, I gave her the biggest smug face I could muster.

She glared at me. ‘Glare’ didn’t even cover it, really. She was giving me a murderous look, like she itched to strangle me then and there. Her face was even red in anger – probably in humiliation, too.

Well, I assumed that it wasn’t everyday she got asked to pay for her own meal.

There was a first for everything.

“I’ll do it,” sighed Luke, taking out his wallet.

I shrugged and walked out, heading to Luke’s Audi.

I knew all along that he’d pay for her in the end. It was in Luke’s nature to do that sort of stuff. Aaron would also do the same thing if he was here. If only she had been good to me, treating me properly and everything, I would have no problem paying for her.

“That was mean,” Luke said to me, as soon as he reached his car where I was waiting for them.

Daniella was following him a couple of feet away, still scowling at me. But I didn’t mind her.

“Dude, when have I ever been nice?” I snorted, getting in the passenger’s seat.

“I could think of a few instances,” he replied quietly, climbing in to the driver’s side of the car.

I noticed Daniella followed suit in the back seat. She kept quiet, though. For a moment, I grew alert. She might be thinking of ways to kill me for all I know. Or worse yet, she might send a Hitman to do the job.

Hmm . . . Nah, she wouldn’t dare.

“I was probably drunk during those times,” I chuckled.

It was a pretty good theory. I mean, they kept telling me that I sprouted wise words whenever I had too much to drink. They said my serious and rational side came out whenever I wasn’t sober.

To be honest, that made a lot of sense. ‘Cause there was no way I would’ve done or said the things I remembered doing the night of a party if I was in my normal state.

As Luke turned on the ignition, he laughed.

“Actually, you were drunk in most of those situations,” he admitted, amusement clear in his voice. “Complete badass, man.”

That was also one of the things we always joked about. They constantly referred me to having two sides in high school.

Sober me: Badboy.

Drunk me: Badass.

There was a difference, mind you. But at least there was the word ‘bad’ in both descriptions. That had to be saying something, right?

Plus, not many people get to be called a badass.

“Man, I miss High School,” I murmured, looking out the window as we passed our old school.

I still carried my MVHS jacket when I went to college. And it was presently in my luggage at the back. High school had the best four years of my life; the glory, the chicks, the games, the parties – everything about it was fcking great.

Don't get me wrong, though.

I loved college. It had the second best years of my life. I had total freedom, and I got to bang any other girl I liked. Plus, the Theta Eta Alpha (the fraternity I pledged to) was awesome. We threw the best parties in campus. Of course, we also had the best athletes in the University in our frat. Not to mention the fact that we all had decent family backgrounds, if you know what I mean.

But then again, everything was slightly harder. Basketball grew more intense. And other frat houses kept challenging us, so we had to be more competitive. That, and I had to maintain my grades from flunking. In high school, even if I didn't study, I'd get by. Not in college, though. I had to put an effort to actually pass.

It was hard, but fun. Oh, it was fcking fun.

“Nigel’s throwing a party tomorrow night,” Luke suddenly announced beside me. “It’s like a reunion for our batch. Basically, everyone’s coming.”

“Yeah, I heard,” I said, starting to grin widely. “I can’t wait for it.”

“Would you like to come, Dana?” he asked, looking through the rearview mirror.

I cut her off before she could respond.

“I’m sure that kind of party isn’t the princess’s scene.” I smirked over my shoulder. “We wouldn’t want to burst her bubble of innocence.”

One of her eyebrows lifted up as she looked at me evenly.

“I’d love to, Luke,” she answered flatly, not leaving her eyes off of me.

I didn’t give her the satisfaction of answering. I merely sneered.

Gotta say, she got guts.

I faced the front again, seeing the familiar neighborhood where I grew up in.

How nostalgic.

In a matter of minutes, we arrived at my house. Luke parked on the wide stoned driveway. I saw that the lawn was as green and clean as always. My eyes wandered around the place until they settled on the huge brick house that screamed ‘A loaded American family lives here!’

It was a typical rich folk house. But it looked awesome, nonetheless.

I let out a breath. It had been a year since I last saw this place.

“Welcome home, man,” I heard Luke say.

“Glad to be back,” I whispered, my eyes locked at the house in front of me.

I opened the door and climbed out of the Audi. Luke also stepped out of his car and grabbed my things from the trunk.

I gave him a slight nod as I grabbed my stuff from him.

“Thanks for the ride,” I told him appreciatively.

“Don’t sweat it. You’re my bro.”

If possible, my grin turned broader. Man, have I missed having one of my best friends around.

I glanced inside the car, right at Daniella. I hesitated for a moment before leaning down and tapping the window. She frowned, but let the window down.

“It was a blast meeting you, princess,” I said cheerfully, mostly to annoy her.

She smiled sweetly. “I’m sorry, but I’m not sure I can say the same.”

“Don’t worry,” I assured her, changing my expression to a heartfelt one. “I meant it literally.” With the last word, a crooked smile made its way to my lips.

She narrowed her eyes, baring her teeth. It was like she was trying to appear menacing. But she only managed to look like an angry pup.

It was kind of cute.

“Curse you.”

Without waiting for my reply, she rolled up the window and looked away from me. Her retort just made me laugh out loud.

“Are you gonna drop her off at some fancy hotel?” I queried as I straightened up, still chuckling in amusement.

“Yeah,” nodded Luke.

“Good luck with that.”

I, for one, thought that I had enough frustration from her that could last a lifetime. I couldn’t wait to stay away from her.

“Why can't Dana just stay at yours, man?” Luke whispered to me.

I looked at him incredulously, as if seeing him for the first time.

“Dude, you know my mom.”

Ah,” he nodded in understanding, finally getting it.

“Yeah, I just don’t want them to make a big deal over it.”

My mom wouldn’t stop hounding me if I brought a girl home. And even if I say that she was just a friend, she wouldn’t believe me and make her own assumptions.

Annabelle was an exception to that rule. I didn't exactly have to introduce her to them because we've practically known each other since we were kids. It was a given that she could come to my house whenever she wanted to, without my folks thinking too much over it.

But to bring a girl they didn't know about?

I wouldn't hear the end of it.

Plus, my mother wasn't exactly the homey kind of mom.

“All right, you’ve made your point,” decided Luke, walking over to the other side of his car. “See you tomorrow.”

I saluted. “See you, man.”

When his car was out of sight, I walked toward the house. The smile on my face stretched out with every step I took closer to the place I called my home.

_________________________________________

 As promised, I've updated because our school group project's Hooli Eyewear reached 120 likes in facebook. :) For those who hasn't liked yet, the url is in the external link. It wouldn't hurt to comment there also. :D

On to the chapter! I personally think Ethan's a douche here, but one hot douche he is! Hahaha! Well, everybody acts the way they do for a reason. And there's always a good in everybody. You just have to discover it for yourself. ;) So what do you think of this chappie?!  

All right, back to school work! I don't think I'll be able to update for a while. For those who read my broadcast message, you know that it's because my grades are slipping because of writing. :( 

Please Comment and Vote -- if you like!! ^_^

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.1M 1.3M 47
A painful breakup pushes Kyla Evans to get into a fake relationship with the person her ex-boyfriend hates the most: Seth Everett. But what will she...
818K 37.5K 38
❝Someday, I will leave and never come back.❞ ❅ Daniella Evans plans on s...
2.2K 295 41
"Seriously you've dated the same guy since freshman year!" He asks astonished. I nod my head. "So, you've only kissed one guy?" I laugh. "Why does...
2.9K 207 35
Kyleigh has always been a wild child. A past filled with neglect, sexual addiction, alcohol/drug abuse, and a minimized sense of self worth haunts he...