Twilight Edward's POV

By B_books_

I watch Isabella Swan as she slowly wanders into the mellow, biology classroom. I still can't read her mind... More

Preface
Open book (in editing)
Phenomenon
Authors Note

First Sight

2K 54 26
By B_books_

Forks High school could be compared to a prison, the absolute horror of having to attend it's vile, tedious activities for long periods of time could be compared to torture. The boredom in the act of attendance at this depressing place was almost incomprehensible, but I suppose there could be worse.

Shaking myself out of my thoughts, I glance at my solid gold watch, the numbers '8:30' screech out at me from the glass coated covering, their meaning being non-existent in my infinite universe.

Although the concept of time is seemingly imaginary in my existence, I still have the common judgment to know that there is just enough time to talk to Esme before I will begin the repetitive journey to my school.

I begin to slowly make my way towards the kitchen, the elaborate set up of my family house acting as a distraction, our overly decorated kitchen is where Esme spends her mornings although no human food would be consumed, I arrive at the entrance when I hear an "Edward hurry up!", arise from the garage, which freezes me in my tracks.

Emmett, although he has been attending high school for nearly as long as I have, he somehow continues to enjoy it.

If the utter thrill in his voice didn't give away his joy then his thoughts would, a constant current of plan making, impatience and optimism, if only mine were the same. His jock-like temperament makes him upbeat and apparently invariably happy although it often intimidates those around him, if he weren't a vampire there wouldn't be a person alive who wouldn't want to befriend him.

Mind reading although, was something only I could do, so I guess most would just rely on the idea of his appearance and what it gave away. Being a vampire came with many powers and somehow I managed to obtain an amazing extra ability along with, that made the extra abilities of others of my kind look insignificant.

The repetitive nature of my High School could cause the mediocre human to want to tear their eyes out- and humans only attend for a petite period of time, whereas I have attended for the past eighty or so years. Every year we acquire the same knowledge over and over, by this point, I was presumably more informed on the subjects than the teachers themselves.

I grimace as I begin walking towards the garage. I suppose I'll just have to talk to Esme later, her thoughts affirm this as when I walk away I hear the soft 'Later Edward', which she had thought in the desire of me hearing.

I enter the enormous garage area and follow my brothers and sisters into one of our numerous cars.

I smirk as I climb into the passenger seat, realizing the chosen automobile was my bright silver Volvo, a car I adore with a passion, it's velocity and character never failing to make me feel like I really existed.

The ghostly pale faces of my vampire siblings look towards me and beam in welcome and I smile in return, Alice turns her attention back to the task at hand as she places the key in the slot and shifts the car into drive, although I'm positive she could do this with her eyes closed.

Rosalie, Emmett and Jasper sit collectively in the back seat of the car, and I catch the perfect appearance of Rosalie-Rose-as she rolls her golden eyes at Emmett's non-stop babble, she flicks her blonde hair and turns to look out the window. Emmett's solid figure turns his attention to Jasper and he nods along, pretending to be engrossed in the discussion.

Jasper finds High School the hardest, being the least experienced in our 'vegetarian' vampire life, he struggles the largest around human blood and often finds himself in distress around them.

Jasper is blonde haired and covered in bite scars, having had an immense part in the newborn vampire armies, he is lucky to be alive today, I turn away as to hinder my rude staring.

Alice rescued Jasper from that lifestyle, her petite, dainty mind and body having comprehended that he was the one for her from very early on. Alice's story may have been the saddest and most compelling out of us all, with her restricted knowledge of her time as a human and the capability of reading the future, she is desired by all covens because of her unique abilities.

Alice would never leave us although and she has made that clear to us all, we being her 'family' in an adopted kind of way, it would be indescribably painful if her propinquity were to leave us.

The Volvo purrs as it races down the streets at such a speed it's exhilarating. The speed in which the car drives fills me with happiness, speed is second nature to me.

After hunting and drinking blood of course, although I often wish it wasn't, I often wish I was just a human with a simple life, who did not need to drink blood to survive.

Heavy rain begins to pour, a common thing in the town of Forks. The whole area seemingly covered in a blanket of green; trees and forest are seen all around the boundless area. Breathtaking views could be seen from all angles of our small town, depending on whether or not you found the outdoors refreshing of course.

As we turn another corner, the old brick walls of Forks High School comes into my view, the smell of blood fills the air and I begin to hear the minds of all the people in attendance, I struggle to block them out, not caring about their insignificant lives and inadequate problems.

Although I attempt with all my might to block out the thoughts, as we pull into a parking space in the worn down concrete of our school, a single thing that seems to be on the minds of many pierces into my skull: 'Isabella Swan'.

It is as though a saint had appeared on the school grounds, the delight and enthusiasm everyone felt because of the arrival of the chief of police-Charlies-daughter was unimaginable and somewhat absurd. Our little town was so uninteresting that even the littlest events sparked a flame in the gossip searching pupils.

Although the arrival of this girl seemed to be in the greatest interests of most humans around me, it fails to fascinate me. She's just human girl, like everyone else. Although she can't be very bright, considering she made the decision to move here.

'She's just some girl', I hear the sneer from Lauren's head as her thoughts stream out, loud and crystal clear as though she was screaming, and even though Lauren is a very impolite person, that I tend to have nothing to do with, this time I have no choice but to agree with her negative thoughts.

This new girl has been the talk of the school for months and Lauren has found herself in a predicament, the frustration of not being the center of attention enough to irritate her mind completely.

My sister Alice knocks me out of my daze as her eyes widen and she becomes frozen in place as if she had forgotten how to move. She is having another vision and I watch her thoughts carefully as the film of the apparent future begins to play out in her mind, my body freezes and I become a twin to Alice's non-moving figure which sits beside me.

All around there is crystal clear ice and snow, a powder white seeming to cover the entire world. A car drives past at an impossible speed. Looking closely, my vampire eyes being able to capture the smallest detail in even impossible speeds, I see my bronze hair and dark eyes in the driver's seat. I see myself, distress evident on my face as I mutter "I can't go back." Then the car is gone, never to be seen again and so am I.

"Edward," Alice speaks, a look of pain vivid on her face, unlike anything I have ever seen. My face fails to show any emotion as she asks the seldom question.

"Why are you leaving us?"

"I don't know, I haven't made a decision to yet," I whisper, confusion evident in my tone. Why would I ever decide to leave my family? It would be an indescribably horrible thing, the pain from that kind of separation from those I love.

"Well, it's set in stone. So once the event occurs that will make you choose to leave, unconsciously the decision will have already been made." She says sadly.

My brother's Emmett and Jasper look at me in a state of sudden shock while my other sister Rosalie stares out the tinted windows of my favored vehicle, a sad expression as though a puppy had been stood on and had yelped in pain. Alice continues to stare blankly and it scares me more than if she were to show her emotions.

"Will I come back?" I say in a somewhat normal tone, attempting to sound carefree, although my voice quivers slightly with the effort.

Everyone looks expectantly at Alice, but I already know the answer, by being able to read minds, all her thoughts stream into my head as soon as they enter hers as though I'm watching a live television show, although this one doesn't have a happy ending.

"I don't know." She says then looking as though she can't stand being in my presence any longer, leaves the car angrily slamming the silver door behind her. Jasper gives me a pained look, a glint of understanding in his eyes, then he opens the door and hurries to walk with Alice, his one true love.

Emmett pats my back, thumping his hand with such a pressure that would crush a normal human, he then proceeds to speak. "Do what you think is right Edward." Then he too leaves the car, with every leaving family member more and more anxiety floods my body.

I expect Rosalie to follow fast behind her partner but instead, she surprisingly stays a few minutes longer, silent in the back of the car as if she is at loss for words, although thoughts stream in her head at a constant rate.

Then suddenly she reaches forward and hugs me, her grip vice like as she pours all her heart into this one sign of compassion, something not often shown by Rose. Due to her horrible past and the things she endured as a human being, she often shut herself away from kind interactions.

In my surprise from her unexpected action, it takes me a second to hug her back. The moment although only lasting a few seconds seems to last a lifetime. Rose sobs one heartbroken tearless sob then leaves the expensive vehicle and runs in search of Emmett, who she desperately craves the comfort of.

I look out the window and watch as her long golden hair disappears into the distance, a small voice in my head wonders if this will be the last time I see my family but I guess there would be no way of knowing for certain.

The pain my family felt and the way in which I had to endure their every heartbreaking thought makes me wish with all of my being that I wasn't able to read minds, that I didn't have to live through all the pain of those around me. Too bad my wishes never seem to come true.

This statement wasn't a lie, all through my life as human and a vampire nothing had seemed to go my way. Now I'm alone without a partner and soon too could be alone without a family.

Numbness overtakes my body and I seem to somewhat evaporate into nothingness, I blankly focus my attention and watch as a worn down, old red Chevy pulls into a parking space, not really taking in or processing the information of the world around me. A feeling inside me begins to long for the life of the person inside the vehicle, so simple, so human, so many insignificant worries.

Not being able to take another minute of the never ending silence and loneliness around me, I swiftly open the door and quickly escape this blanket of regret and hardship as I begin to focus my attention on the current task at hand; school.

Quickly making my way across the slightly damp concrete, I reach forward and grab the metal door handle, then taking a deep breath of unnecessary air I enter the school, a horrible day and most likely existence set in stone and nothing I could possibly do to change it.

***

I enter the warm cafeteria of Forks High School and as I do I am overcome by the stream of thoughts, this constant train of information would be too much for the average person. Even the smartest human in existence would not be able to handle the onslaught and would most likely become a mental train wreck, but being a vampire does have its advantages and being able to quickly process and understand was luckily one of these.

Grateful to have finally escaped the rain I take in my surroundings, noting the flurry of students as they rush to their groups of friends, each group locating themselves around one of the many large round tables that occupy the cafeteria floor. The smell of mint, food and deodorant hangs strongly in the air, all being typical smells to be found in a High Schools food court.

"I heard she moved because she hated her mother's new husband." I hear Jessica say, delighted by the new gossip.

Looking over in her direction I see the back of her head, her brown hair bob up and down as she excitedly talks to her friend Angela. I watch Angela as she not so subtly rolls her eyes at Jessica who leans further and further across the table to share her information. Angela adjusts her glasses and continues to pretend to pay attention.

"I don't know," Angela says inaudibly in reply to one of Jessica many queries, her voice seemingly unheard compared to Jessica's loud tones.

'I wish Jessica would just stop talking! We don't even know this new girl, I feel so evil why are we making all these assumptions?'

Although the words Angela speaks may be reserved, her mind is powerful and opinionated but unlike Jessica, her opinions are reasonable and kind and hearing them makes me relieved that not all humans are as bad as the majority she's okay especially compared to the other students.

Jessica's mind is very irritating and listening to her thoughts could be compared to the sound of nails on a blackboard, Angela's mind is peaceful and the bliss of being able to listen to such thoughts is very reassuring.

I begin to walk through the cafeteria, my foot falls creating no noise as I make an effort to attract little awareness to myself, even though heads still turn and minds still become uneasy in my residence, moments like these make me wish I was human more than ever.

I'm almost at the table in which my family and I sit when the sudden noise of a school bell interrupts my strides, I stop with a sigh. Eyeing my family where they sit beside a massive cafeteria window, the rain flows in the backdrop behind them and black clouds strew the sky, the storm begins to pick up and the students sigh as they begin to make their way to class.

The school bell rings loudly and annoyingly for a few more seconds before coming to a close, the quality of it would most likely hurt the ears of humans, powerful, old and in absolute need of renovation it is without a doubt near an amplification in which human ears couldn't handle.

I turn slowly and begin to walk towards my first class, trigonometry. The dreaded school day had officially begun. I long for a change, a variation in my life that would give it some classification of meaning but I know that is most likely futile; nothing could make me truly content.

Arriving at the classroom door, I push open the light object and begin to roam towards my seat, alone as always.

I arrive at the desk arrangement, each one set up specifically to seat two people, or in my case one.The day a human sits next to a vampire, even ignorant as they all are so, will be the day pigs fly. It's as though even though the humans have no idea whatsoever of our actual existence; something in their nature tells them to stay away from us, as though their body knows that we are a threat. I sit down, chuckling to myself as I do so. The plastic from the seat feels fragile under my form, I know that if I were to try; I could pulverize the man-made object in less than a second.

The class rumbles with anticipation for the coming day, chatter enfolds all around me but I block out the meaningless words and stories and begin to close my eyes, a second of reconciliation to think being deeply needed in this moment of time. All of a sudden the teacher Mr Varner walks in. A stillness falls over the classroom and numerous sighs erupt from the students around me, who were very eager to continue their personal conversations.

His low, tired,  voice greets the class with a simple 'Good morning', as he places his books on the black desk at the front of the class. He reaches into his desk drawer and emerges with a black whiteboard marker, he looks at it in disgust, his thoughts full of longing for the weekend.

Walking to the front of the room he lifts his arm and lazily begins to write up the lesson plan and as he does so my attention shifts entirely, my focus moves to the events that had occurred this morning, they seem to not be able to escape my mind, no matter how hard I try to throw them into the abyss of my mind, the door locked behind them.

I don't want to leave this place. Do I?

Forks being the absolute, most fitting existence community for my family would I really be prepared to chuck it all away in some act of unknown selfishness. It rains often here, meaning my family and I are rarely forced into hiding due to the sun. The wildlife is plentiful, so my family is always well fed, in the scheme of thing this place is perfect, Although I know in my non-existing soul that I'd never want to do something as such as strip this away from those I cherish, I fully know that I am capable of doing repulsive things-my past confirms that enough.

The day drones on as my thoughts slowly and tortuously consume me whole.

***

Lunch time, although I am not thrilled for the ordinary human reason of getting to appreciate food and time with school mates, it has a significant meaning to me today, unlike most days. My family look towards me as I enter the cafeteria, worry evident in their features as I make my way past the tables of students, edging my way towards our typical sitting place. They and I need this time to understand the solemnity of this unusual situation, I struggle not to walk too swiftly as I anxiously hurry to reach them.

I reach them after what seems like hours, questions fill their thoughts and I inwardly sigh knowing that I know the answer to none of them; I take my seat around the white table and stare out the window as I try to gather my thoughts. A covering of rainfall coats the growing forestry outside Forks High School and I watch as a bird flies past the towering branches of an oak, it's brown wings fluttering fast, flowing with energy and life.

I turn my attention towards me family and am just opening my mouth to speak when I see her, my attention becomes fully diverted from the task at hand as I admire the never previously seen human as she takes her seat at a table.

She turns her head to look in my direction as if she knew I was staring and was determined to catch me in the act, but I quickly turn my head away with the knowledge that I easy had enough velocity to prevent her from witnessing my gaze.

My family look over at me questioningly and I ignore their pointing gazes, I look at the food trays that my family had bought, knowing fully well that every item on them would end up in the trash. I push the trays away slightly, the smell of the disgusting human food distracting me from my confused thoughts.

Elegant, abundant, brunette hair frames the creamy skin of her face and mature lips; wavy and reflecting dazzlingly in the light of the cafeteria. Deep set chocolate brown eyes cast around her new surroundings, peering out from under her long black eyelashes; a gleam in them, separate from anything I'd ever seen in my existence.

Promptly I peek over again, praying to get another glance at this breathtaking figure, I'm glad to see she is no longer staring in my direction.

Abruptly, the whole circumstance changes, terror saturates my body at the same rate as a fired missile. A human could not occupy such a thing, a human could not resist my ability, could it?

I struggle as I attempt once again to read her mind, my body taken over by exasperation and hopelessness as I fail once again. I can't hear her thoughts, this strange human girl for some reason is empowered to do something no one else before her could; no vampire, no other 'mythical creation' has ever been able to escape my mind reading but somehow she has.

My brow furrows as I concentrate profoundly, failing again, I look away slumping back into my seat in utter defeat. The thoughts of my family around me are congested with confusion as I begin to become angry with this inadequate human girl, my every thought orbiting around her and the ability she seems to possess.

Alice sighs intensely, fed up by the circumstances. She gently stands up and begins to make her way out of the crowded area, in search of some alone time, she skips as she does so which draws the observation of several humans who gawk at her as though she is crazy, I suppose she is.

Then I hear a voice: velvet, soft and indescribable.

"Who are they?", the voice-Isabella Swan-whispers to Jessica, who had immediately befriended the new girl; her outgoing character and want for new gossip bewildering the new pupil entirely.

Jessica's face erupts with understanding as she looks over in our direction her thoughts becoming amused and a huge smirk appearing on her makeup covered face, she prepares herself to answer Isabella's question about my family and I. I sigh knowing that Jessica would have a lot to say, she has strong opinions about my family and feelings associated with these; jealousy and anger being among them.

Many people have opinions about my family and me, us having moved back to forks a short time ago we were the talk of the town for a long while. Although after a period of people attempting to socialize and interact with us they began to realize that these were pointless acts and simply gave up. Overall this was better for them and us, it's too big of a risk associating ourselves too closely with the human kind. It could easily attract the attention of the Volturi which would most definitely be devastating for those involved.

The Volturi were a vampire 'police' of sorts, they enforced all the rules of our kind although these never seemed to be enforced fairly or with any kind of respect for the opposing side, the group is full of corruptness and greed, their most common punishment for breaking the vampire laws is death, although this could sometimes be avoided if the groups leader "Aro" was in a fair mood. I guess the cruelty of their nature could be compared to that of third world politicians, but the fact that they are vampires makes the situation a lot more lethal of course.

I turn my attention back to Jessica as I look over in her direction, I catch her eye and she stares at me longingly, her thoughts full of excitement because of this rare eye contact shared between us. I give her a pointed look but it fails to break her daze as she swoons over me, the thoughts in her head filling me with disgust.

Looking to her side I notice as Isabella to stares at me and I begin to stare back, I catch her intense eyes and look deeply into them. I become blissfully captured by the depth of her soul which reflects perfectly inside they're depths, pools of melted chocolate swim in my mind and I fall deep into their waters, unable to find the surface.

'Danger', my mind screams at me as I turn away from the unique human girl, I will not let her get the better of me. I take a breath, happy to escape the pools.

'She's nothing to me', I mutter.

Although I speak these words, the level of truth in them would forever be unknown to me.

I watch out of the corner of my eye as Isabella blushes a deep red and then turns to look at something in the distance, embarrassment from her obvious staring episode, evident in her wary facial expression and widened eyes.

Jessica snickers from embarrassment then responds to the usual question about my family and I.

"That is Edward and Emmett Cullen, and Rosalie and Jasper Hale. The one who left was Alice Cullen; they all live together with Dr Cullen and his wife." She whispers, making certain that we won't hear her as she spills her information. Little does she know that we can hear every utterance; every movement; every inhalation she takes.

I clutch my bagel and pick at it with my fingers, pretending to turn my attention to something else undividedly as I focus intently on the girl's muffled conversation.

Isabella looks over in my direction again, but I refuse to make eye contact with her. I keep my attention on my tray and dismiss my frustration with a sigh as I try to block out the screaming thoughts of my family, who all the inquest the unusual events that had just occurred.

The irritation at not being able to read Isabella's mind fills me with striking rage, I don't understand, an uncommon thing for me. Sighing once again in impediment, I enter Jessica's thoughts as to get a better opinion of her and the new girl's conversation. Although I hesitate to be doing this as Jessica's mind seems to be the most repugnant and vile out of any other human in the room, but alas I see no other alternative.

"I can't read her mind," I whisper to my family as I finally shift my focus to them, knowing fully well that I need to acknowledge their speechless questions so that I am able to focus fully on the task at hand. I watch my family anxiously, measuring their reactions; and although they refuse to show any kind if emotion or variation in their facial expressions, their thoughts begin to explode as they whirl around my head similar to that of a robust hurricane.

Is she the reason you're leaving?

This seems to be the main question that repeats in the minds of my concerned family and I I make the decision to answer it before turning my attention back to Jessica and Isabella.

"I don't know," I reply, pain evident in my voice as I once again block them out to listen in to the conversation about my family.

"They are... very nice-looking," Isabella speaks, she struggles for words as she describes the natural beauty that vampires bring, although she, of course, doesn't know the reason as to why we look the way we do.

Vampires are made to look attractive as to attract humans, we draw them to us which makes us the perfect killing machines. Being able to bring humans to us with such ease makes the job of hunting very simple and effortless, although this doesn't concern my 'vegetarian' family.

I have to stifle a smirk as Isabella speaks about our looks but I manage-with difficulty-to keep my expressions blank.

"Yes!" Jessica giggles in reply, as she begins to think vile thoughts about me and my brothers. I watch through her mind as she pictures herself kissing us and as the scene gets more intimate I find myself ready to once again block out her repulsive mind.

Then her thoughts darken and relief floods me as her imagery comes to a very sharp stop, violent anger floods her mind, although she succeeds in keeps the giggling facade on her face.

"They're all together though-Emmett and Rosalie, and Jasper and Alice, I mean. And they live together." Jessica's voice sounds snobbish as if she appreciates sharing the gossip, which of course she does.

The annoyance in her voice is also considerably evident, her wishing to be able to have one of the males of my family to herself, she is irritated by the fact that we nearly all seem to have companionship. Apart from me of course, although I know that I would never find myself with someone like Jessica, or with any human for that matter.

"Which ones are the Cullen's?" Isabella questions, she casually taps her fingers on the round cafeteria table. "They don't look related..."

Jessica quickly replies. "They're not. Dr Cullen is really young, in his twenties or early thirties..."

Little did they know he was over two hundred years old, he having been born in London in the 1640's or close to it, as time wasn't tracked carefully back then he wasn't able to be completely confident of when he was in truth born. 'Dr. Cullen' or Carlisle, was born into a rather Christian family and whether that influenced how sympathetic a person he turned out to be as a vampire will eternally be unexplained.

"They're all adopted. The Hales are brother and sister, twins-the blonds- and they're foster children." Jessica concludes.

"They look a little old for foster children..." Isabella trails off doubtful of herself.

"They are now, Jasper and Rosalie are both eighteen, but they've been with Mrs Cullen since they were eight. She's their aunt or something like that." Jessica says quickly.

Isabella looks surprised, her eyes broaden as she begins to process this new knowledge. A warmness covers her voice as she replies to Jessica, obviously, she now thinks highly of my family although I'm sure Jessica will not allow these thoughts to remain for long, she appearing to have a lot more to say on the affair.

"That's really kind of nice-for them to take in all those kids like that, when they are so young and everything. "

"I guess so," says Jessica, a jealous tone to her high-pitched voice." I think Mrs Cullen can't have kids, though." She says smugly as if it would alter the situation in any kind of form.

I feel a sting of guilt for Rosalie who just had to endure the cruel and accurate statement that Jessica had spoken. I hear her sigh, her thoughts overflowing with anxiety and loss. I watch her as she turns away to look out the window, her bottom lip quivering as she attempts with all her strength to manage her overflowing emotions.

Vampires can't have children and that was all that Rosalie ever wanted in her human life. The pain Rose has to endure in knowing that her wish to become a mother and grow old with a family will never come true consumes her entirely; it also grievously transformed her into the cold-hearted woman she so ordinarily is today.

She remained in such profound mourning for such a long period of time, endlessly wishing that she could have just diminished as a human rather than live ceaselessly as a vampire. That was until she found Emmett, who defended her from a pit of depression that she found herself ever so trapped in. I observe him stroke her shoulder affectionately, him also undergoing a range of various torture to see his soulmate so broken and lost. Rosalie turns back to the group, having composed herself enough to feel safe to, she smiles dismally as her thoughts continue to scream.

Isabella looks over at us again, this time taking in my entire family rather than just me. I watch the revulsion in her facial expression, caused by Jessica's obviously inappropriate criticism, a shimmer of curiosity enters her eyes as she swivels back to face her new compatriot.

"Have they always lived in Forks?"

"No" Jessica declares in an 'isn't it obvious' tone. "They just moved down two years ago from somewhere in Alaska."

Isabella looks over at me once again and I look up to her meeting her translucent deep brown eyes with my most likely black ones. Having not fed in a prolonged period of time my eyes are black from hunger, although it's guaranteed that after I do in fact hunt that they will turn golden once again.

I proceed to stare at her curiously as she flicks her head to the side to once again vocalize to Jessica. She tucks a strand of her long hair behind her ear as she opens her mouth to speak.

"Which one is the one with the reddish brown hair?" She asks the question about me, clearly inquisitive as to who I am.

I continue to gaze at the girl as she glances up at me once again, looking somewhat startled to have been caught out for the second time, she looks elsewhere as quickly as imaginable.

"That's Edward. He's gorgeous, of course, but don't waste your time. He doesn't date. Apparently, none of the girls here are good-looking enough for him." She sniffs.

I look away from the new girl and focus my awareness on the landscape outside the window as to suppress my uncontainable smile from having heard Jessica's incorrect but unmistakably hilarious comment.

Being a vampire I have no business whatsoever in finding fellowship with humans, it would be remarkably dangerous for them and for me. I discover most humans to be repulsive and monotonous, all seeming to bring some droning sob fabrication and uninteresting thoughts. All in turn surrounding the same thing, themselves.

The way in which self-worship appears to represent such a big element in human existence always astounds me, the duration of time that I was raised in brought up well mannered and outspoken individuals who had determined right from wrong at a rather immature age, it seems that alas these morals have evolved. I sigh dejectedly, yearning for the life that I previously had; a considerably more uncomplicated one, in fact, one that had much more delight and purpose.

I listen to Jessica's thoughts as her discussion with Isabella concerning my family comes to a close and she once again begins to reminisce and discuss herself and her own history.

Quickly, I block out her thoughts, having no concern in her frivolous narcissistic nature. I overhear her giggle at her own anecdote as I turn away tiredly to talk to my eternally questioning family.

***

The bell sounds harsh and clear and as sighs emit throughout the cafeteria, gradually people start to wander towards their next classes.

I stand up and walk from my family's cafeteria table, nodding farewell to them as I open the sky-blue metal door and make my way to my next class-biology. Rain pours around me as I rush to get to the indoor classroom, an obvious release from the cascading droplets of moisture.

I open the door and the aroma of ancient timber and stuffy air swells in my nostrils as I step inside, nodding in welcome to Mr Banner as I hurry to take my seat-once again on my own. I turn to look out the glass window which sits to my left as I hum a piano melody softly, taking in the sensitive outdoors; much more pleasing in presentation than that of an old biology classroom.

The room has several grey lab desks, each on precisely made to sit two people. At the front of the room, a colossal whiteboard on wheels and a black-painted wooden desk are placed side by side. Mr Banner-the biology teacher-sits at the desk, bubbly and excited at the prospect of starting a lesson on one of his most beloved topics.

I watch as more students gather into the classroom and as the door opens once again, I immediately stiffen; a smell like no other fills my nostrils and I struggle to control myself as I take in this new, unknown sensation. Isabella Swan takes a modest step into the classroom, Angela close by her side smiles and says a few words of reassurance to the new student before moving elsewhere to take her seat.

Mr Banner grins warmly at Isabella and she smiles almost awkwardly in return, he points towards the seat next to me, the only available one left in the full classroom; calmly instructing her to take her seat as to allow him to begin the lesson. She nods apprehensively, the idea of having to sit next to me clearly intimidating. She strides ahead straight into the route of a fan, her hair blows around her in an almost model-like way as she anxiously shuffles towards me but I barely notice this as pain and yearning suddenly cut through me like a razor-sharp blade.

Strands of her hair whirl around, obscuring parts of her pale, heart-shaped face, she lifts her hand to tuck the brunette strand behind her ear as I struggle immensely to restrain my thirst, the scent I inhaled when she first entered the room, meaningless in comparison to its extraordinary intensity now. Unlike anything I had ever smelt before on a human as if she was a personal brand of blood made especially for me; made nearly futile to resist indulging in.

My breathing halts as I struggle to resist the scent, knowing very well that if I allowed myself to indulge in its mouth-watering odour for any longer that I would lose all control, my natural instincts inevitably taking over resulting in the death of this stupid human girl. My arms turn rigid on the hard desk and I find myself folding my hands into fists, as if in an attempt to hold myself still and to prevent any unforeseen actions.

This was the precise explanation for what was seen in Alice's vision, the reason in which will provoke me to leave my home and my family. I will kill this human girl, create a tremendous scene in the presence of multiple other students, therefore demolishing the life Carlisle had produced for us then being forced to leave and live in hiding infinitely.

Infuriation courses through my non-existent veins, how could a pathetic human cause such a profound effect on me? It made absolutely no sense, the extent in which she was able to be diverse from the other human beings surrounding her, a person like Isabella wasn't meant to exist; although I suppose this profession could be considered hypocritical as I wasn't supposed to exist myself.

Suddenly she looks up at me, taking in the full intensity of my reaction to her presence, she stiffens confusion and fear covering her face as she seems to internally discuss whether or not to continue the treacherous journey towards me. She takes another tedious step, stumbling in the process. Bright red blush masks her face in embarrassment as she continues to walk, slowly now while avoiding all eye-contact, I hastily look towards the ground unable to harmlessly view her blood filled cheeks and form.

My brow furrows as I stare intensely at the lab table, putting all the concentration I can into trying not to kill this appalling human girl. Desperation overtakes me more and more with each passing second as the urge to drink her mouth-watering blood rises almost impossibly high.

In this one dreadful moment, I see myself, diving out of my seat and grabbing the girl tightly by her petite arms as she struggles against my too powerful strength. I watch her startled, fearful brown eyes as I growl deeply, straining down and placing my lips on her soft neck, sucking all the blood out of her appetising body, she turns lifeless in my arms as my taste buds are filled to the brim with an unimaginable flavour. 

Indescribable pain and hunger courses through me, similar to that of jumping into an intensely hot volcano full of lava, as I battle against my most natural inclination; to abolish this human girl and every bystander in the room. My every thought revolves around the thought of getting even just a meagre taste of the sensational flavour, although I know that once I start I will never be able to stop.

A meter from my presence now,  Isabella takes the final three steps before delicately setting her bag on the floor and taking her place in the seat beside me, setting her book down on top of the lab desk. She looks down as she sits in her seat, refusing to avert her glance from the floor. Fear is evident on her face as she takes a deep breath, obviously, I have frightened her somewhat. She releases her breath and as she does so, I move in my chair, as far away from her as possible.

In her peripheral vision, she appears to notice my movement and I catch from the corner of my eye as she sniffs her hair, as if she thinks that a bad smell on her behalf is causing my aversion to her presence. I turn my head to stare out the window as she lets her shiny, brunette hair fall in a curtain,  like a figurative wall to separate us from each other in this close proximity. If only she knew that her smell was the opposite of bad.

I sit on the edge of my chair and continue to hold my breath and at this moment I am so grateful that vampires don't have to breathe. I watch the world outside the window, paying no attention to the lesson and trying with all my might to resist killing the girl sitting beside me. 

I watch outside as a family of blue-coloured birds peck at the grass near the lush forest, searching for food together, suddenly the thought of my only family pierces into my brain, becoming my main motivation. If I kill this girl I will completely destroy the human life Carlisle and Esme have made for my family, the life of hunting animals instead of humans, of having a chance of being somewhat normal. I can't do that to my family. 

If I kill this girl my family will have to go into hiding, due to the attention gained from such an act. 

The piercing pain hits my throat again and regrets spread through my body as I release my mistake of having not hunted recently. I'm in need of blood. As the painfulness continues, a thought strikes me and suddenly without warning, I make a decision. If I manage not to kill this girl today, then I will have to leave Forks. For the sake of my family, I need to either stay away or sort myself out.

Things piece together in my brain as I remember Alice's vision and how she described it as inevitable. There is nothing that could possibly change my mind now.

I look at the clock, twenty minutes remain in this class and I have somehow managed to not hear a word of the lesson. I look over at Isabella for an instance and she peeks up catching my eye before quickly looking down, her eyes focusing on my pale hands. She looks shocked as she sees how tightly I hold them in fists, the tendons standing out as I struggle through all my desires regarding her blood. I glare at her, she's caused all of this. She catches my glare and her face goes pale, she flinches and looks away again as a feeling of guilt washes over me. 

Before I can reasonably consider anything regarding Isabella's feelings, the bell rings. As quickly as I possibly can without drawing attention. I stand and speed walk from the room, I catch from the corner of my eye as Isabella shivers in fright, trembling as she collects her books.

I walk as quickly as I can towards my car, hearing Mike Newton's thoughts as I do so, a name inside them catching my attention.

"You're Isabella Swan?"

"Bella" she corrects, offering a preferred nickname; I watch through Mike's mind as she smiles anxiously at him, seemingly intimidated by the sudden onslaught of attention.

As if out of nowhere, an idea suddenly protrudes into my mind and so I make the decision to at first sit idle in my car for an hour in an effort to calm down to ensure I have the temperate to resolve this difficult situation, in result I miss my Spanish class but this is, of course, the least of my worries.

                                                                                     ***

"Hello",  I speak softly to the crow-haired old lady that works inside the reception area of Forks Highschool. The air of the warm room congregates around me as I struggle not to become impatient with the ditsy woman, who is often stunned at the prospect of answering a person's questions.

I hear the sound of swirling air as the door of the well-heated room swings open, bringing with it a surge of arctic air; I distinguish light footfalls as someone walks in, keeping their distance, the receptionist stutters a welcome to me in return, finally containing herself enough to effectively speak.

"I was wondering if I could change my sixth-hour biology to a different time, any other time?", I speak calmly over the counter separating the student and reception area; trying to be as persuasive as I can to this shallow woman. She turns in her grey chair to face her computer before typing a few words, presumably to check the timetable arrangements for the day.

I silently pray that this scheme will work, if by changing my class with Bella I am able to avoid her, then I could possibly spare my family the nuisance of having to find a different location to live; or with having to deal with the devastation that would be caused if I were to kill the teenager. 

"I'm sorry but that is not possible."

"Please," I speak pleadingly my voice low and smooth, I look into her grey, cloudy eyes hoping to change her absolute mind.

'Why is he so handsome? If only...'

The obviously stunned receptionist stares at me blankly, theories and debates running through her mind at a rapid pace. I struggle to contain my impediment at her unmistakable lack of understanding as she continues to think completely off subject.

"I can't do that sorry." She finally replies, grimacing at the thought of not being able to help someone as 'attractive' as me. I sigh, readying myself to put up an argument; distinguishing fully well that I would undoubtedly triumph against this desperate opponent.

Suddenly the scent of Bella hits me again, like a humongous wave crashing over a strengthless butterfly, I find myself utterly dumbfounded. I feel my eyes enlarge and my mouth drops in shock if only for a split second before I compose myself, uncontrollable pain and desire taking over my body, turning me into a monster that has not an ounce of control over their actions.

Turning around I see the faint face of Bella, who looks slightly offended to have overheard the discussion concerning my biology lesson, obviously apprehending that the motive behind the sudden require to change was her. Tears fill her almond-like eyes and she immediately blinks them away, I glare at her frustration and pain once again consuming me.

She cowers away from me, a terrified expression on her pale, heart-shaped face.
She blushes slightly as she stumbles backwards, nearly tripping on the grey carpet floor. Guilt takes over me as I see her struggle to contain her terror but the feeling disappears before I can act upon it, once again being replaced by vivid anger.

"Never mind then," I speak, irritated. "I can see that it is impossible. Thank you for your help." I finish the sentence using the rest of my air, then lock my jaw refusing to take another breath, pain coursing through my entire body. 

I turn away from the reception desk and stare at the floor as I rush to leave the room as fast as I can-at a human pace of course-not looking again at the pale, shocked face of the horrible girl who was trying to destroy me and my family.

I run out of the school building, the silver figure of my beloved Volvo coming swiftly into view. I make my way towards it, ready to get out of this place and the horrors it had encased. I open the door, launching myself inside onto the black leather driver's seat. I quickly start the engine and it purrs powerfully as I begin to speed away from the school, my family, and most importantly: Isabella Swan.

Hello, this took me ages to write oh my gosh like there are over 8,000 words. You guys are amazing if you didn't already know that. So thank you for the comments and votes and reads. Please leave me advice, criticism, and just any comments and I will be sure to reply and take them into account. I am obsessed with Twilight and Edward... so I will try update oftenish(hahaha). Thank you to the people who read the authors notes and everyone who doesn't, lots of love to all. - Brydie

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

261K 8.8K 31
My eyes shot open and from across the meadow, I could see a man standing there, staring back at me. I didn't hear a heartbeat; which was a dead givea...
2.9K 103 21
Jaylen Virago was a new mysterious student at Forks High School. As obnoxious as the students could get, Isabella Swan herself couldn't quite stop fr...
107K 4.1K 19
"He's gone. I'm a vampire now, and it's all HIS fault. I'm in what most would say the clutches of evil, but really their..ok it's true but when no el...
205K 5.6K 25
Trust always end in pain. At least that's what Isabella swan, A vampire for over 150 years believes. Bella went through a lot in that time and is kin...