Smoke & Fire || Evan Buckley

By pineapple_lover_03

Alexis Parrish didn't expect to fall in love with the most arrogant, newly graduated firefighter Evan Buckley... More

C A S T
PROLOGUE
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11

Chapter 6

581 14 0
By pineapple_lover_03

A L E X I S _P A R R I S H

"RIGHT HERE... RIGHT here..right here" I exclaim watching Buck try to steer the wheel in the simulation.

"Turn left!"

"I'm trying" Buck says turning the wheel in the opposite direction.

"That's right, you idiot" I say watching as he bumps a pedestrian with the truck displayed on the screen. I sit forward on the chair moving closer to the TV.

"So, you're fleeing the scene? You do realize that you lose points for murdering people on the way to a fire" I ask, looking at him while he focuses on the simulation.

"It should be fine, it's a flesh wound, Obamacare " he shrugs, and I lean over my seat to take the controller from him.

"What? Lex, please" he protests holding onto the controller for dear life.

"Someone call HR" I yell over to the kitchen before moving closer to firmly grip the controller and take it from him.

"You're absolutely crap at this, I can't believe cap lets you drive" I say.

"You're just jealous that he always says no when you ask" he retorts back and I roll my eyes.

"Yeah right... Chim, you're up" I tell Chimney seeing as he passes us by, ignoring my words.

"Rude" I mutter under my breath as I place the controller down. Buckley gets up from his seat and then looks down at me, stretching his hand out for me to grab.

"Truce?" he questions, staring down at me with kind eyes. I look up at him holding his gaze for a second before looking away as an uncomfortable feeling bubbles up in my chest. He smiles and I reluctantly place my hand in his as he helps me up.

"I don't remember being at war with you" I say once I'm on my feet.

"You okay?" I ask Chim, noticing his unusual behavior as we reach the kitchen.

"Look, Chim if there's something you want to talk about..." Buckley trails off prompting our colleague to speak up. As we're all stood around the counter waiting for Chimney to speak up, Buck casually places an arm around my shoulder.

Hen notices, sending me a curious look which I choose to ignore. Buck has been weirdly comfortable around me lately, ever since dinner with my mom. It's not a bad thing, just unusual.

I steady myself by placing my hands on the edge of the counter, trying not to seem bothered by the innocent act. I shift my weight from one foot to the other. What's wrong with colleagues showing a bit of friendly, yet weird, affection?

"I'm a good-looking guy, right?" Chimney asks leaving the question in the air.

"You could do a lot worse than me, yeah?"

"Yeah, you're an attractive guy" I nod my head quickly trying to distract myself from the very familiar cologne and body heat radiating from Buck.

"Chimney, I've done a whole lot worse than you" Hen adds.

"You think I'd be a good father?" he asks again, and I frown, confused.

"Of course" I say with no doubt in my mind.

"What's this about?" Hen asks curiously. Bobby listens closely.

"I asked Tatiana to marry me" Chimney reveals and my eyes widen. Buck removes his arm from my shoulders bringing along a sense of relief. Coolness replaces the warmth of his arm on my shoulder.

"Are you serious?" Buckley asks.

"Uhm... Well what happened?" I ask the question everyone's thinking.

Chimney explains how it went down between him and Tatiana and I can't say I'm shocked. She's an adrenaline junkie, most of them aren't in it for the long run. Based on their relationship, which is a lie by the way, I knew it wouldn't work.

"Did you offer her the option of an open marriage? It's super modern-"

"Buck, shut up... Don't listen to him Chim, he's stupid" I say rolling my eyes at his absurd suggestion while crossing my arms across my chest.

"Chim, I'm sorry. That may not have been the response that you hoped for but it's not a no" Hen says carefully, trying to make him feel better.

"might as well be" Chimney shakes his head, defeated. I sigh shaking my head as well.

"Probably for the best" Bobby speaks up for the first time, focusing on dinner.

"What was that?" Chim looks over at Bobby.

"Nothing, I'm sorry. I didn't mean anything by that... You doing okay?" Bobby attempts to swiftly change the subject.

"of course you meant something by it 'probably for the best'? There's a lot of meaning behind that... What... You don't like her?" Chimney asks, his tone now becoming a bit hostile, and I wince at the sudden shift in the air. Kinda feels like winter's coming early this year.

"I never said I don't like her, I don't like her for you" Bobby defends himself.

"And what does that even mean?" he continues, offended at Bobby's choice of words. I look over to Hen and Buck to see them exchanging similar looks.

I choose to remain silent and not interject myself in this slowly arising argument. Chimney continues to rant mentioning some great facts along the way. We don't really know Bobby all that much but to be fair, they don't know much about me too. Neither of us knows anyone really.

"You know what, you're upset. Let's drop it" Bobby tries to calm the raging firefighter.

"Just say it, what is it!" Chimney demands and the air grows thicker around us. None of us say anything as we awkwardly watch the scene unfold.

"Alright, you're living a lie man! You let her manipulate you. You pretend to be somebody else you're not when you're around her. Making up stories to satisfy some hero fetish of hers? What is that?" Bobby fires back, having had enough of the taunting.

"You know what? Maybe I wouldn't have to make up stories if every once in a while, you let me take point on something. I have to operate the winch, right? And the maneuver? I can do the maneuver" The Korean man exclaims, and he looks like his about to pop a vein.

I rest my body against the counter with my one arm folded and my nails between my teeth, watching as they go back and forth. Chimney cannot do the maneuver.

"I know you can, that's not the point here. Chimney, this relationship that you're in is fueled with lies" Bobby says as both hen and buck continue to set the table for dinner in silence.

"Come on, y-you asked me to make you two dinner so you could pass it off as your own. She's not in love with you. She's in love with this fantasy version of you"

"You know what? I feel real bad for your wife. I really do, must be tough living with someone who thinks he's right all the time." Chimney let's out one last time before walking away.

To be fair, Cap has brought up amazing points which to a normal person would sound valid. But, when you're in love, it's hard to accept that maybe they're not the right one for you. No matter how badly you want them to be, the puzzle pieces don't match. It's easy to take your anger out on someone when you know the truth.

"Chim!" I yell after him.

"No, I'm getting some air" he yells back as he leaves the kitchen down the stairs. I sigh looking over at Cap, who watches Chim leave, awkwardly.

Cap opens his mouth to say something but then closes it before muttering "I'll be in the office". We silently watch as he descends the stairs.

"Well that went well" Buck let out sarcastically while he finishes setting up the table. Hen rolls her eyes.

"To be fair though-"

"Let's not analyze the argument or else, you'll have to choose sides and I choose eating this meal in peace" Hen cuts me off pointing a fork at me.

"Great idea" I say walking over to the empty seat closest to Hen and far away from Buck. Hen chuckles to herself as I sit down next to her resulting in me giving her a confused look.

"How's your mom Lex?" Buck asks after we dig into our food. Hen looks surprised as she raises both her brows at the random question. She looks like one of those cartoon characters whenever they're shocked or possibly scared and their eyebrows pop up above their heads.

I swallow my food, surprised as well, but not for the same reasons.

"You've met her mom? When did that happen?" she questions looking between the two of us.

"She invited me over for dinner like 2 weeks ago" Buck nods his head with a smile before gracefully stuffing his face.

"Uh huh" Hen let's of a chuckle before zeroing in on me. I squirm in my seat under the uncomfortable scrutiny of her gaze.

"Mom's great, hopefully not inviting any more strangers for dinner" I say lifting my chin up in the air giving him a sarcastic smile.

"What can I say, I have that effect on women" Buck says with a smug look on his face. I roll my eyes trying to finish my dinner in peace.

"Why didn't I get an invite?" Hen asks with a tiny frown on her face.

"He just showed up and mom invited him. I didn't really have a say in the situation"

"You weren't complaining either"

"I was, multiple times actually... You just chose to ignore it because you were too busy flirting with my mom-"

"I wasn't flirting"

I open my mouth one more time to tell him to shut up but then it dawns on me, how much I sound like a jealous girlfriend, so I just shut up.

"Family dinner sounds fun, how bout Friday?" Hen laughs and I smile at her super funny joke. If she thinks I'm voluntarily hosting a dinner for people I see everyday? She's crazy.

"All right everybody let's gear up... Let's go let's go!" Bobby yells from the ground floor. The urgency in his tone forces me out of my seat, pushing my half-eaten food to the middle of the table.

"For what? I didn't hear a bell" Buck questions with a look of confusion on his face.

"It's Chimney" Bobby informs and we all rush down the stairs, me, trying not to trip on my feet as we make our way to get ready. Worry settles in my stomach, thinking of all the possibilities Chim might have ended up in. We all suit up in our gear.

"Come on. Hustle up, Hustle up. Everybody let's go! " Cap exclaims as he rushes to the door of the truck, driving before Buck even manages to close the door with us seated inside.

"Ladder medic, 1036 auto emergency" the intercom sounds as we exit the firehouse.

Minutes later we arrive at the scene, the red lights of the ambulance is bright enough to blind us forcing me to squint as I step out of the truck. Bobby walks towards the scene, ordering us to stay as he walks over to the other captain on scene. I stand on my feet trying to get a visual of what's happening but it's hard with all the first responders crawling around and the fact that it's dark out.

Bobby walks up to us, retreating from the scene with a pale expression. My stomach turns uncomfortably.

"How's he doing cap?" I ask before tugging my bottom lip between my teeth.

"He has a piece of rebar through his head" Bobby informs.

I gasp at the news, shocked, eyes wide as I stare back at my captain.

"Is he conscious?"

"He's alert and talking, doesn't appear to be in any pain" Bobby explains and Buck frowns, confused at his answer.

"He's got a piece of rebar through his skull. How is that even possible?" He asks aloud as we get the tools from the truck. I sling the medic bag over my shoulder before Hen answers.

"Brain tissue has no nociceptors, it doesn't feel pain" Hen explains.

"That and the adrenaline coursing through his veins right now, it's the only way he could be alert and talking" I breathe out looking ahead at the scene.

"This hasn't registered yet, he knows his pinned down but that's it... Keep it cool" Bobby advises and we nod our heads.

We all go to check out our patient. We get to the car, the path clearing along the way as we walk.

"Hey Chim, fancy meeting you like this" I smile looking at the rebar going right through his head. I try not to grimace at how painful it looks but keep a nervous smile on my face. He stays completely still as we near the car.

"Well, I've been better" he chuckles nervously.

Hen takes the bag from me and wordlessly goes to the passenger seat to check his breathing. The car is completely wrecked, there's glass everywhere from the broken windshield and it crackles under the wight of our footsteps.

"Airways sound good" she says from inside the car and I nod my head, kneeling down next to Bobby next to Chim.

"What's your pain level?" I ask him calmly.

"Not much pain. I don't think there's any spinal damage, I can feel my legs but when I try to move my head-"

"Don't!" Everyone yells at the slightest movement of his head. My heart beats faster in my chest at the sudden movement and possibility that he might move the bar.

"Be still" Bobby tells him calmly.

"What's going on? W-Why aren't you guys like, cutting me out of here?" he questions anxiously.

"It's complicated"

"Why?"

"You suffered an injury..." I trail off trying to give him some news without freaking him out. The rebar in his head looks pretty stuck and knarly.

"How bad is it?" he questions, worry settling in his tone.

"It's not good" Buckley opens his mouth and everyone looks at him. I sigh shaking my head at his stupidity.

"Well, I wanna see it" Chimney demands.

After much debating, Bobby finally shows Chim the damage via video.

"How come I'm not dead?" Chimney asks

"Hey you guys, I can't even feel this" Chimney says once again.

"We know" I respond shortly.

"All right, please get me out of here before I start to-"

"Parrish, get the c-collar on him, carefully... Buck once she's done I want you to strap him down" Bobby instructs and I head over to Hen for the c-collar.

I carefully get in the back of the car, careful not to move the bar that goes right through the seat. I slowly place the collar around his neck.

"You good Chim?" I ask once I'm done.

"Yeah" he says and I nod and then decide to strap him up myself.

"Can you move?" I question once I'm done.

"Not one bit" he replies and I take the opportunity to exit the car.

"Hey Buck, how's the car man? Is it a total loss?" Chimney asks drawing my attention to the car. It's completely wrecked.

"Nah man, you could probably buff most of that out" Buck lies doing a once over of the car.

"Good, good" Chimney smiles, satisfied with the answer. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.7K 2.1K 51
𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝟐𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐚 𝐫𝐨𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐨 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐲/𝐧'𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭-𝐜𝐮𝐭𝐞𝐬/𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢�...
113K 4.4K 9
2 tom dylogii ,,Agony"
49.2K 1.4K 9
សាច់រឿងមិនសាកសមសម្រាប់ក្មេងក្រោម(18+)មានពាក្យរោលរាលអាសអាភាស🔞
182K 4.1K 65
imagines as taylor swift as your mom and travis kelce as your dad