The Devil And His Mistake (18...

By MissEllenX

"I'd keep her safe. From everyone, except me." A story about a marriage of convenience, but the convenience... More

Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six
Part Seven
Part Eight
Part Nine
Part Ten
Part Eleven
Part Twelve
Part Thirteen
Part Fourteen
Part Fifteen
Part Seventeen
Part Eighteen
Part Nineteen
Part Twenty

Part Sixteen

838 38 15
By MissEllenX

Chapter Thirty-Six

Lillie

Two more days had passed since Ryan had visited me. I hadn't seen him since. I missed him. I missed his voice. His face. His promises. I missed Wayne too, of course. I missed life - my life. My body was tired, aching and filthy. My head was buzzing, the silence was defeaning in this cell. 

"Gosh, do you ever shut up?" Jade huffed, sitting beside the dirty mattress. 

Elizabeth was sitting next to her, on the mattress, legs crossed before her. "You're so grumpy, just think about it for a second - we've been here for how long?", The young girl begins. 

Jade answers fast, "Too long.", is all that she says. 

The young blonde huffs. "Years, right? We have never, ever been visited by someone who could vaguely save us," she was talking about Ryan. I'd told them both about him, about his plans to save us. I'd told them that I trusted him. I really do. 

"He isn't going to save us, they'll kill him before he gets a chance."

I roll my eyes. "You're such a bitch for someone who's been locked away for years - you'd think you'd learn to be slightly more sympathetic for the only person who knows what you have been through in those years." I shoot at her. She can't see me in the darkness, but I know she can feel me shooting daggers in her direction. 

Jade turns her head towards me. I can see the white of her eyes. "And what the hell would you know? You've been here for minutes compared to us!", she hisses. It was true - I hadn't been subjected to the same lengths of torture and abandonment like they had. I still understood though. I'd still been used by the very same men that used them. 

"You're right, but that isn't my fault, we're in this hellhole together." I glare at her. My eyes were getting tired. Eyelids heavy. Heart breaking. I wanted to go home. 

"No, you're just giving the girl false hope!"

I reply, "It isn't false hope, he's going to come and save us and when he does I hope you feel like shit for not giving her the hope she deserves and needs.", she doesn't reply for a moment. She doesn't get a chance. There's a knock on the cell - room - door. 

"Cover your ears. Sit at the back of the cell." , and I know that voice. I've been thinking about it for the past two days. I scurry to the back of the cell, the two girls beside me. Jade is silent. Elizabeth is giddy beside me - full of hope. 

"That's him?" She whispers beside me. 

I reach for her hand and hold it. "Yes," Is all that I can say. I squeeze her hand and then I lift my palms to my ears and lay them flat, trying to cover any sound from entering my eardrums. Jade does the same. Elizabeth too. 

And then there's a couple of loud bangs. Gun fire. 

And then there's an either louder bang near the door. It sounds as though someone has just been smashed against it. "What the hell do you think you're doing?" A loud voice yells. 

A man coughs - Ryan coughs at the impact. He must have been pushed into the metal door. "I think I'm about to kick your ass for that," Ryan almost growls - and then there's another bang against the door. "Any last words?" I hear him mutter. It was quiet through the metal door, but I knew he had just spoke it at a normal volume. 

There's a few moments of silence. Then a loud bang. Another loud noise as the body drops to the floor just outside of the metal door. The three of us are staring at the door. Hands on our ears. Knees to our chests. Waiting. 

A click. 

The handle moves. 

The door opens.

I scramble to my feet, fast - too fast that I almost fall back down again. I don't. I run towards him. I throw myself at him for the second time. He catches me. One hand holding me, the other resting against me. That must be holding the gun. I don't care.

I throw myself at Ryan as though he is the only solid thing in the world. I might be crying. Or screaming. I'm not sure. I'm not sure if this is even real. "Are you here?" I whisper into his neck. He's shaking. I can feel his own body shaking against mine. I'm not sure whether it is adrenaline or fear or anger but he holds me still. 

"I'm here," He cooes. "I'm here," He repeats, softer. Gentle. 

A sound escapes me. A whimper. "You're real," I realise. 

Home. Safe. I was safe. 

Ryan lets out a shaky breathe. "I am. You're going to be okay," He tells me. I believe him. I was going to be okay. We hadn't escaped yet, but I believe him. He'd get me - us - out of here. 

I pull away. I step back. My eyes meet his brown ones. He's watching me. Staring at me. He's staring as if he's worried I might vanish. There's fear in his eyes. His usual cockiness, and steady gaze, is gone. 

I say nothing. I turn to look at the two girls who had both scrambled to their feet. "You ready?" I ask them, faking confidence. 

They nod. Silent. 

"Let's go," Ryan reaches for my hand. His fingers link with mine. I let him. I hold his hand. He drags me down the hallway after sparing me a short glance - making sure that this was okay, him holding my hand like this. It was. It was more than okay. 

We ran. He lead. Jade and Elizabeth followed. There were still gunshots around us in different rooms. There was women helping other girls out of their rooms - cages - and I was thankful that he'd made sure to help all of us, not just me. 

I know if it had been Wayne - he'd have focused on me before anyone else - he wouldn't have been smart about it. His love for me would have blind sided that. 

Ryan didn't love me. 

Nobody spoke until we got outside. It was just as dark outside as it had been inside. I couldn't see where we where. I didn't care. I clung to him - Ryan - as though I was afraid that I might be dreaming. I didn't want to wake up from this. 

Ryan clung to me too. Comforting me as he opened a door to a vehicle. He ushered me in, then helped in Jade and Elizabeth. Then, he got into the drivers seat and began driving. Nobody bothered with their seat belts. The engine roared. The wheels screeched against the floor. Jade and Elizabeth held one another, panting. Crying. 

I looked outside of my window. Fields. Trees. We were in the middle of fucking no-where. I couldn't think. I was too tired. And for the first time in months, I felt comfortable enough to sleep. The darkness took over my entire body soon enough. My eyes fluttering shut. My body relaxing into the cold seat. 

I fell into the deepest sleep I'd had for months. 

And when I woke up, the sun was rising. We were still in the middle of nowhere. Ryan wasn't speeding now. The car wasn't moving. He'd pulled over. He was outside of the car speaking to two men. One woman. 

I recognised two of them. 

A, Alek and someone else. 

The strange man was handsome - blonde hair, blue eyes, tanned skin - tall and muscular. 

I wondered where Wayne was. "He's been out there for a couple of minutes," Jade told me. Pulling me from my thoughts. I met her gaze. Smiled. And to my surprise, she smiled back. "I'm sorry," She began.

I shook my head. "Come on," I whispered, opening the car door. The three men and one woman turned to look at us as we each climbed out of the car. My limbs ached but I stood beside the car, looking across at them. 

"Morning sunshine," Ryan purred. My eyes met his. My cheeks heated. "You're going to be staying here for a little while, the other women are on the way," He told me, not waiting for my response to his greeting. 

I licked my lips. Glanced towards Elizabeth and Jade. And then looked back at them. Aleksander was looking down. The other man was watching us with a sad expression. A was staring at me, fear and sadness pooled in her gaze. 

I offered her a gentle smile. She returned it. "Where is here?" I wondered, looking back at Ryan. "Where is Wayne?" I second. 

Ryan seemed to still. "He'll be here as soon as he can," Is all that he offers me. I take it though. "This is one of our safe havens for our survivors," He adds, sounding more comfortable about that question. 

"Okay," I nod. I didn't want to argue and pry for information. I wanted to eat. Shower. Sleep. I had a strong feeling that so did Jade and Elizabeth. 

"Okay, let's go," Aleksander finally spoke. Eyes finding mine. His piercing blue eyes softened. He then glanced at the other two. I felt the two girls suck in a breathe. I glance at them. Look back at the two men. I trusted these guys - they, however - had no reason too. 

Both of the men were tall, muscular and quite clearly powerful. Hands tooked into their suit pants pockets. Strength radiating from them. 

The slightly larger man - the man that I didn't know seemed to hold his eyes on Jade. I watched carefully. In anticipation. "Come on, we don't bite," He seemed to tease. I glared at him. "Unless you ask us too," He added, smirking. 

Jade scoffed. 

Elizabeth exhaled a shaky breath. 

A elbowed the man. "I know you're not usually positioned here, helping with the girls, but that is not the way to fucking go," She growls. Aleksander dips his head. Sighs. They were fighters. Gangsters even. They didn't know how to deal with three women who had just been abused by men. "Come on ladies," She gestures for them to come her way.

Elizabeth is the first to scurry to her side - finding comfort in a woman. Jade followed. I watched as she stared at the man who I didn't know the name of. He stared back. Still smirking. Jade didn't back down as she followed A and Elizabeth into the forest. 

He winked. 

Jade lifted her hand. Offered him her middle finger. He smirked. Chuckled. Dipped his head in respect. Aleksander was talking to Ryan now. I stood still. Ryan was speaking to Alek but his eyes were still on me. 

"I want to go back to Wayne - not here, wherever here is," I decided. Lifting my chin. I'd spent the past two months defending myself and acting brave. I didn't want to be here - somewhere that wasn't home - I had a home. 

Ryan shook his head. Once. "It isn't safe yet, they will know where to look," He told me. His voice still soft. It was strange to hear him so sympathetic and gentle. Before I'd seen him two days ago, he had alway sseemed so arrogant and sure of himself. 

I stare at him. "I want to go home, Ryan." I repeated. Despair spreading through my tired body. I wanted to eat and shower and sleep - at home. 

He glanced at Alek. Turned to me. Took two strides until he stood before me. "I know. I'll stay here, if you want?" He offered. I stared up at him. Confusion overpowering the tiredness. He must have noticed the strange look on my face. Why would he stay? Doesn't he have work to do. He looked across at the two men. Back at me. "The two girls are going to be busy, Fran and A, we're already a full house - there's about sixteen more women on the way now," He explains. 

I exhale. "Oh," I whisper. 

"Come on," Aleksander calls from his place. "It's getting light, they'll be looking for us. I'll drive the car into the bushes, cover the tracks." He explains. 

Ryan places a hand on my back and we begin to walk in the same direction that the women went. The strange man follows us. Aleksander takes care of hiding the car. We walk in silence. Minutes pass. 

And then all of a sudden the trees fade and there's a huge open field - a huge building in the middle of it - flowers surrounded the glass building. It was beautiful. I looked up to Ryan, at my side. He was already watching me. A slight smile on his face. 

I meet his gaze for a short moment. I can't hold his gaze for too long. So, I look back at the large building. Admire it as we get closer. I know Ryan is still watching me. I know he is. I don't mind. I like it. 

I like him. 

I know it's short. I've been really busy. I love you all! Thank you so much for waiting and being so patient with me. I appreciate it. Please do vote and comment :) 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

683K 37.2K 77
Dakota Black was a man cloaked with charisma and power. But I made him a monster. Three years ago, I sent him to jail. Accidentally. And now he is ba...
4.6K 140 15
Trope: enemies to lovers, forced proximity TW-SA, Cursing, violence, Cnc, drugs If you can't handle the triggers I strongly suggest you don't read...
32.2K 1.5K 94
🌶️♥️🩸 "𝘼𝙩𝙩𝙖 𝙜𝙞𝙧𝙡," 𝙝𝙚 𝙥𝙪𝙧𝙧𝙚𝙙. _______________ In which Gwendolyn Bird, beaten and bruised by the death of her brother, meets a dark...
236K 21.5K 116
VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED SHORT CHAPTERS (1500 - 2000 words) She's as clever as the Devil and twice as pretty. Madison has a secret, and she wants...