Dragon & Dreamer | ONC 2023 h...

By jinnis

Liha wants to avenge his family. If he has to become one of the king's men to do this, he will. But in the ca... More

Author's note
1 - The son of the blacksmith
2 - Gift or burden?
3 - The Golden City
5 - More than a sword
6 - The uncrowned king
7 - Noak
8 - Like a son
9 - Messenger
10 - Not a game
11 - Communication
12 - Reunion
13 - Follow the dragon
14 - Help
15 - The king
16 - The dragon and the dreamer
17 - A dragon's epilogue

4 - Bruised

51 13 29
By jinnis

Dánirah pressed the wet cloth against her swollen eye and studied the young man's face out of the other. He might be her age, perhaps a year or two younger. A nasty bruise marred his forehead, the blood clotting his brown curls. His swollen and split upper lip revealed a row of flawless teeth.

"Do you think he will be fine?"

Naiin stepped closer and dabbed at the blood smeared across the stranger's face. "His breathing has evened, so I'm sure he'll recover. Let's get his shirt off to check for more injuries."

Dánirah placed the cloth on a chair beside the narrow bed and helped to peel the torn shirt from him. The bruises on his pale skin turned black and purple. Naiin ran her probing fingers over his torso.

"I think the ribs are fine, nothing broken, and the cut on his arm is clean. The two of you were lucky."

"I know. I don't understand why the boy tried to help me and risked getting himself killed." She didn't add that he distracted her attackers long enough to allow her to flee. And she didn't dare imagine what would have happened if Naiin and her friends hadn't interfered.

Naiin rummaged in a drawer and returned with a thread and a fine needle. "Perhaps he's just a decent lad. Best to sew him up while he's unconscious. Can you hold him down, Dánirah?"

She swallowed and nodded. The man had helped her, so the least she could do was support Naiin's efforts to patch him up. She pressed down on his right shoulder and elbow while her host closed the gaping wound with deft stitches in the mellow light filtering through the single attic window.

"So, this should heal just fine if he takes care for a few days." She stood up to fetch an earthen jug. When she unplugged it, the pungent fumes of potent alcohol tickled Dánirah's nose. Naiin soaked the wound with it. "It's meant to help relax my customers. But it will sterilise the wound."

"Are you a healer?" Dánirah hadn't found the time to learn much about her mother's friend and now her benefactor.

Naiin shook her red curls in laughter while she stoppered the jug and placed it on a shelf by the small stove. "No, but I travelled with the king's army long enough to have seen my share of injuries. Often, the doctors are overburdened with fixing up the warriors after a battle, and shadow mages prefer to stay away from war. Killing is against their beliefs. So, it fell to us to help where we could."

Dánirah, once more cooling her eye, stared at the older woman torn between disbelief and admiration. Did her mother's old friend really fight in the army?

Naiin seemed to read her thoughts. "It's not what you think, Dánirah. I'm just a wench, a harlot, whatever name suits you. As every general worth his pay knows, soldiers on the way to their potential death need love and diversion. So they encourage a train of women to follow the host. It's a hard life, but not worse than many others."

"I... ack." The women turned towards the young man who fought to clear his throat. Naiin slipped an arm under his back and propped him up on a cushion while Dánirah filled a cup with tea and pressed it into his shaking hands.

He gulped the liquid and rubbed his lips, pulling a face when he touched the injury. "Thank you." He let the gaze of his grey eyes wander around the dim attic. "What happened?"

Dánirah exchanged a glance with Naiin before she shrugged. "Street urchins attacked me, and you dashed in to help. But they pushed you down the stairs, and you hit your head. Naiin here and her neighbours came at the right time to chase them away."

The man dropped his head against the cushion while he studied the stitches on his arm. "I made a fool of myself."

"No, you didn't. You bought me the time to run. But if Naiin hadn't appeared when she did, we would've been in serious trouble." She smiled and reached out a hand. "I'm Dánirah. Thanks for standing up for me."

"My pleasure. My name is Liha, and if I'd known how dangerous this city is, I might have stayed away."

Naiin chuckled. "True, Penira can be dangerous, but I think you ran out of luck today. But now you are awake, let's fill your stomach with something hot."

She lit two candles before she filled a bowl from a pot simmering on the hearth and handed it to Liha with a slice of dark bread. He took it with a frown but soon spooned the content as if he had been starving. Naiin filled two additional bowls, placed them on the small table, and beckoned Dánirah to sit down. The vegetable soup smelled delicious, and the young woman lowered the spoon into it with a rumbling stomach.

Naiin watched her while she ate her own portion. "So, what brings a young Tanna to my doorstep?"

Dánirah lowered her spoon and retrieved Shonai's letter from her bag. "My mother sends you this. She said it's important, from the tribe's leaders to the king."

Naiin held the parchment close to the candle to study the seal and raised her brows. "You're the daughter of Shonai, the Dreamer. I should have recognised you, forgive me. But you were just a slip of a girl when I last saw you. So, it wasn't a coincidence that you tried to reach this house."

"No, it wasn't." Dánirah picked up her spoon to finish her meal. "Can you deliver it?"

"To the king?" The older woman raised her brows and smiled. "No, I cannot talk to the king. But the man I'm waiting for might solve this problem for us."

Dánirah didn't dare to ask what she meant with her cryptical remark. Despite his willingness to fight for her, she didn't know if she should trust Liha. She had seen him at the city gate and later at the market, but just because he arrived with her didn't make him a potential ally. Besides, she wouldn't be in Penira long enough to get to know him better.

"I trust you will do what's necessary, Naiin, and I'll be glad to leave the city behind."

"You'll have to wait for the morning, though. The gates are closed for the night. And my customer is about to arrive, so we need to decide where the two of you shall spend the night. Or at least the time until he leaves."

Dánirah exchanged a glance with Liha before she took it upon herself to ask. "Can't we stay here?"

"Unfortunately, this is my only room. I doubt my customer would appreciate being watched by you both."

Liha put his bowl aside and placed his feet on the floor. "Of course. You have helped more than enough." He staggered to his feet, and Dánirah rushed to support him before he fell.

"You are in no shape to walk the city streets." She helped him sit down, afraid he was about to be sick.

Naiin stepped up and placed a hand on his forehead. "No fever, but Dánirah is right. You'll have to tread with care for a few days. You suffer from a concussion if I read the signs right. Well, if you can walk and the two of you aren't afraid of the cold, I might know a place where you can pass the time."

"I will walk." Liha's answer defied his pale complexion.

Dánirah didn't see another solution, so she picked up his shirt to help him dress. Naiin handed her a blanket and wrapped a woollen scarf around Liha's shoulders.

"Take this. It will help to keep you warm. Ready?"

The young man still seemed wobbly on his feet, but he nodded and picked up his bag and blanket to follow their host. Dánirah brought up the rear, cradling the second blanket and a bottle of hot tea against her chest. She expected they would climb down the narrow stairs. Instead, Naiin led them to the roof window on the other side of the landing and opened the shutters.

"If you climb out here and follow the steps, you reach the firewall between the buildings. To the left, it leads you to a roof garden. This time of the year, it's unused, and you may wait there. I'll fetch you as soon as my customer has left."

Dánirah studied the narrow ladder leading downwards with a frown. It would be best if Liha climbed them without a burden. She handed him her own load. "I'll go first. Pass me the stuff when I tell you."

Heavy footfalls in the stairwell announced Naiin's visitor now. She didn't wait for Liha's confirmation, but swung herself out of the window and scrambled down the steps. They were not as rickety as they first seemed, and soon she stood on the coping of the firewall. It was two feet across and covered with stone slaps placed with a slight slant so the water would flow off.

Liha handed her the equipment and stood beside her moments later, breathing hard. "Huh. Right in time. With all his puffing and cursing, your friend's customer must be quite stout."

Dánirah giggled. "You can't imagine how Naiin and I puffed while we dragged you up there."

"I'm sorry. I really just wanted to help you and not make things harder." He leaned against the roof. In the moonlight, his face looked pale, but not as drawn as before.

"It's fine. Your interruption allowed me enough time to ensure Naiin's help. But come, let's find this garden of hers before you fall off the wall unconscious."

Because of the slant of the coping, the walk wasn't without danger. But Liha, now carrying his bag again, did not waver and followed the wall. Dánirah kept up, aware a misstep would send her down the adjacent roof and into the dark gorge of the street below. At the end of the makeshift walkway, a few more steps led them to a small terrace above an inner courtyard. Terracotta pots held the dead remains of a herb garden and washing lines spanned the unused space.

Liha dropped his bag and blanket and stepped to the parapet to study the king's fortress. Dánirah joined him, pulling her shawl around her shoulders in the night's chill. The white palace walls gleamed in the moonlight, and several windows emitted a golden glow.

"The king's family celebrates tonight."

"How do you know?" The young man turned to her.

"I don't. I assume the nobles have a feast every night. He is the king of Kelèn, after all."

Liha sat on a weathered wooden bench and pulled his blanket over his knees. "Perhaps, I wouldn't know. I want to join the king's men. Who knows, perhaps I'll even visit the palace one day."

Dánirah turned to watch the mist curl over the plain beyond the wall. "I doubt I'll ever get closer to that fortress than tonight. I'll leave Penira tomorrow."

Liha remained silent for a moment, and she wondered if he had heard her when he spoke in a low voice. "That's a pity. You're the only person in this town I got to know—aside from those trying to kill me."

She chuckled and sat down beside him. "Naiin didn't and even sewed you up. Besides, I delivered my message. The rest is up to her. No one will let a Tanna near a counsellor of the sun king, anyway."

He nodded and slipped closer, spreading the blankets over both of them. Dánirah enjoyed his warmth by her side. Strange that she felt an association with this young man. Still, she would leave the town at first light. This wasn't her place, and he didn't belong to her people.

"Look." His voice was filled with wonder, and her gaze followed his pointing finger. "What birds are those?"

The dark silhouettes of two winged beasts crossed the silver face of the almost full moon, their long tails trailing. Dánirah held her breath. In the lore of her people, they announced changes. To the Keleni, the children of the sun, they were known as harbingers of doom.

"Dragons are underway. An important change is afoot, Liha."

(2069 words)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23 0 21
Dee is a 54 year old woman who has to take care of her mother who is loosing her memory. Her mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease and she is...
2.4K 125 45
[Fantasy novel, completed ✓] In a world filled with magic, dragons, witches, demons, deadly creatures and other magical beings, the life of the king'...
244 2 28
War is coming... yet no one knows. The Deplorable festers in his anger, his rage newly ignited as one of his own suddenly betrays him, rocking him t...
413 27 13
Born into a prestigious family, Elijah had to shoulder a lot of things- pride, family name, being the best of the best... These things were not what...