Beneath Shadows and Secrets

By ForeverAimee_

Book 2 of To Be Trilogy ♔ She is no longer what she was. A human girl, who had a family she did everything fo... More

BOOK ONE
♔ 𝕺𝔫𝔢 ♔
♔ 𝔗𝔴𝔬 ♔
♔ 𝔗𝔥𝔯𝔢𝔢 ♔
♔ 𝕱𝔬𝔲𝔯 ♔
♔ 𝔉𝔦𝔳𝔢 ♔
♔ 𝔖𝔦𝔵 ♔
♔ 𝔖𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫 ♔
♔ 𝕰𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱 ♔
♔ 𝕹𝔦𝔫𝔢 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔢𝔫 ♔
♔ 𝕰𝔩𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔴𝔢𝔩𝔳𝔢 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫 ♔
♔ 𝕱𝔬𝔲𝔯𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫 ♔
♔ 𝕱𝔦𝔣𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫 ♔
♔ 𝕾𝔦𝔵𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫 ♔
♔ 𝕾𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫 ♔
♔ 𝕰𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫 ♔
♔ 𝕹𝔦𝔫𝔢𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶 - 𝕺𝔫𝔢 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶 - 𝕿𝔴𝔬 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶 - 𝕿𝔥𝔯𝔢𝔢 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶 - 𝕱𝔬𝔲𝔯 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶 - 𝕱𝔦𝔳𝔢 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶 - 𝕾𝔦𝔵 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶 - 𝕾𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶 - 𝕰𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶 - 𝕹𝔦𝔫𝔢 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕿𝔴𝔬 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕿𝔥𝔯𝔢𝔢 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕱𝔬𝔲𝔯 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕱𝔦𝔳𝔢 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕾𝔦𝔵 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕾𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕰𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱 ♔
♔ 𝕿𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕹𝔦𝔫𝔢 ♔
♔ 𝕱𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶 ♔
♔ 𝕱𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕺𝔫𝔢 ♔
♔ 𝕱𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕿𝔴𝔬 ♔
♔ 𝕱𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕿𝔥𝔯𝔢𝔢 ♔
♔ 𝕱𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕱𝔬𝔲𝔯 ♔
♔ 𝕱𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕱𝔦𝔳𝔢 ♔
♔ 𝕱𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕾𝔦𝔵 ♔
♔ 𝕱𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕾𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫 ♔
♔ 𝕱𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕰𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱 ♔
♔ 𝕱𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕹𝔦𝔫𝔢 ♔
♔ 𝕱𝔦𝔣𝔱𝔶 ♔
♔ 𝕱𝔦𝔣𝔱𝔶 - 𝕺𝔫𝔢 ♔
♔ 𝕱𝔦𝔣𝔱𝔶 - 𝕿𝔴𝔬 ♔
♔ 𝕱𝔦𝔣𝔱𝔶 - 𝕿𝔥𝔯𝔢𝔢 ♔
♔ 𝔉𝔦𝔣𝔱𝔶 - 𝕱𝔬𝔲𝔯 ♔
♔ 𝔉𝔦𝔣𝔱𝔶 - 𝔉𝔦𝔳𝔢 ♔
♔ 𝔉𝔦𝔣𝔱𝔶 - 𝔖𝔦𝔵 ♔
♔ 𝔉𝔦𝔣𝔱𝔶 - 𝔖𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫 ♔
♔ 𝔉𝔦𝔣𝔱𝔶 - 𝕰𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱 ♔
♔ 𝔉𝔦𝔣𝔱𝔶 - 𝕹𝔦𝔫𝔢 ♔
♔ 𝔖𝔦𝔵𝔱𝔶 ♔
♔ 𝔈𝔭𝔦𝔩𝔬𝔤𝔲𝔢 ♔

♔ 𝕿𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕺𝔫𝔢 ♔

80 10 8
By ForeverAimee_

Shorter chapter, so here a surprise update!

———

♔ 𝔑𝔦𝔯𝔞 ♔

When I wake, I am alone, still curled on the single armchair where I sat to converse with Calix. There is a fleeting moment where I wonder of his whereabouts, but I do not dwell. It is none of my concern, and I have no intention of letting it be so.

I rise from the chair, stretching out my limbs with exaggeration, and drag my fingers through my still damp hair. I hadn't meant to sleep, for there are two things I still wish to do before we leave tomorrow.

First, find my brother. I have no hope that he will abandon my father's side and join me to the Night Court – I am unsure as to if that is what I even want. Still, I wish to say farewell, because I imagine the next that I see him, the circumstances are bound to be far more dire. At least, this way, I can make sure he knows where to find me, if he ever finds himself keen to support his sister, rather than his King.

Second to that, I want to return to the wyvern. She needs to be informed of what is to happen tomorrow. When we leave, I do not want the trouble of her not following – for what an embarrassment that would be for me. She must know that as soon as she sees Tynan lift to the sky, and our carriage behind him, she is to join us too. Simply because I have claimed her. She is mine, and the prophesied Wyvern Tamer should have such beast at her side. That way, people may be inclined to take my threats far more seriously.

I tie up my boots and leave the wing to be met with an unusual silence. There is no question as to why. It is likely that all the Guards have been redirected to defend their King and the Crown Prince, following the display from me. I pose a threat, and it is not one they will be willing to risk. Wise, actually, for if I was to come across my father without his Guard, I cannot be sure of what my response would be.

It will prove difficult this way to find Darin. The castle is huge, and I have neither the time nor patience to seek him out. More so, I do not find myself keen to speak to him with an audience. There is no doubt in my mind that the Guards will refuse to leave his side to allow for a moment of privacy between us siblings.

I stroll the corridors, on alert for a stray Guard that could at least pass on the message. If Darin knows I am searching for him, there is at least some chance he will appease my request. Though, there remains the chance he will not. He saw, just like all others, what I did in Medusa's Lair. Did it frighten him, to see what has become of me? Has he admonished me, estranged me from the family as my father has? Even the thought of losing the brother I have just found again carves painfully into my chest.

On my descent to the ground floor, I see the stride of a tall male, dark blonde hair crawling down his scalp. I hurry my last few steps before calling out, "Excuse me!"

He responds, turning to regard me, and his face is the last I expect to see. "My, do Fae ears suit you."

A smile grows upon my lips at Roman's drawl, at the twinkle in his eye. He looks... spectacular. Dressed in the finery of the Guard's wear, even more broad and bulked than the last I saw him, all those months ago. His hair is still trimmed in the same fashion, either side of his head shaved short, though the hair that runs down the centre has grown longer, waves twisting into loose curls. He notices me dissecting his appearance and smirks in response. "I suppose we're both a sight for sore eyes."

"How are you here?" I ask him, reaching to envelope him in a hug. I hadn't even consider doing so, it is an action that happens without thought. The terms we left things on were ambiguous. Roman had displayed something of a romantic interest in me, and I had responded to such by arguing against his help when I burned my leg, and stealing his cloak under the pretence of an almost-kiss. Still, he betted on my victory, and despite me killing the King and dying thereafter, he must have gotten his pay out.

"I think it is more fitting for me to ask that question." He pulls away, running a chaste hand down my cheek. "I saw you die."

"Did it look incredibly dramatic?" I joke, hoping to evade the conversation. I have no desire to regurgitate Zaire's betrayal.

"Quite." He grins, eyes scanning over my stature. "Even bloodied and beaten, you still managed to stay on your feet when he stabbed you, right until he Scered you away." His visual search pauses at my shoulder, where once was the bite of the Umbra Demon. He cannot see all of the other scars I have lost beneath the fall of my clothes.

"I survived. Returned as one of your kind." He rolls his lips to fight a grin, and his eyes rove over me once more.

"I can see that. Has turned you even more devastatingly beautiful." He looks around, investigating our privacy, before turning back to me, a step closer than before. "I can assume your relations with the Lord did not survive, however."

"I think I have threatened to murder him several times since then." He laughs, and I refuse to bite down the smile at the noise. "Now, answer me. How are you a Guard now?"

He straightens the tunic he wears with pride. "When I returned with my winnings – thank you, for that – I only planned to move my family into the Rich Quarter. Except, I was called on by the King, and he congratulated me on surpassing the expectations of a poor Fae from Xandara. He offered me a position in his Guard, and with the pay I was promised, it wasn't difficult to accept."

"How becoming of you." I muse, stroking a hand down his sleeve, refraining from grimacing. How different this encounter would have been if he had been one of the several to come to murder me. "I hope you didn't doubt me when I was crawling around on the floor in the duel circle."

"Not once," he claims, offering me his arm to accompany his rounds. "You have a brain far too clever for you to have not had a plan. I should know – you stole my cloak with that same mind, and released a wyvern to gain it's egg with it too."

"It is funny you should mention the wyvern." I murmur, looking up to meet his curious expression. "Would it see you disciplined if you were to abandon your post and accompany me to the outskirts so that I might speak to it?"

"Speak to it?" He echoes incredulously. I only nod. "Well, lucky for you, I am off duty." He leans in then, as if to whisper a secret. "It wouldn't have stopped me, even if I were on Guard. Much like you, I find it most tedious to play by the rules."

Thankfully, the wyvern has not moved far from where I left it. Further into the safety of the trees, but it can still be spotted from the outskirts.

Roman stalls, and with my arm still linked with his, it pulls me to a stop too. "What?" I ask.

"You might be brave enough to approach that beast, but there is a reason why I wasn't the one to be in that duel ring. There isn't enough courage in me to even dare attempt it." I roll my eyes, grinning all the same, and pull him forward, despite his resistance.

"Would you believe me if I told you I have the power to control animals?" I say.

He answers resolutely. "No."

"So little faith. She listens to me, because I am her saviour. It is another alias to add to several that already follow me. The Wyvern Tamer." The words sound as though I am gloating, and frankly, I am.

He hums, still not quite sure, though he stops resisting my lead quite so much. "So she will only eat me if you ask her to?"

"I think so." The corner of my mouth quirks when he jostles me.

"You do very little to instil confidence – has anyone ever told you that?" He jokes.

"A fault of mine, I suppose. I expect that everyone is as confident as me." He laughs loud as we weave through the trees.

At the sound of our approach, the wyvern perks up, a low growl reverberating across the ground and trembling the leaves on the trees. I raise a hand in surrender, and upon recognising me, her growl stops and she settles herself back comfortable, craning her neck around something on the ground. Beside me, Roman releases several breathy expletives, and I can hear the thundering of his heart within his chest.

I pull my arm away from his, taking cautious steps forward. "Hey girl." I whisper. She huffs a deep breath. "Stay calm for me, won't you? I have a friend I would like for you to not scare off."

She shifts, but shows no hostility, and so I beckon Roman forward. He inches closer with far more trepidation than me, but soon he is at my side. He breathes heavy, and then looks at me as if for some instruction. I grin and stretch my arm forward to stroke down her neck.

"You can. She won't hurt you." He seems far from sure, and so I take his hand in mine and lead it towards the wyvern. With my hand on top of his, his fingertips skim the leather of her skin, and he breathes out a laugh.

"This is unbelievable." I smile, pulling away when he becomes more assured. I move to her front, pausing when I notice the heap of dirt that she has curled herself around. In it, two beautiful eggs, not unlike the one she was guarding at the Equinox.

"Hey girl," I crouch beside her, her eyes rolling to view me. "Is this what you were worrying over earlier? You were being a protective mama." I can feel Roman watching me, but I do not take my eyes from the beast. Instead, I hush her as I let my hand skim over the cold surface of the egg closest to me.

"Daenira." He hisses out, his petting hand faltering.

I ignore him. "Tomorrow, when I rise to the sky, you must too. Must fly beside the one with wings. You will come back with me. I will keep you safe." She shifts, moving her huge head until her nostrils flare against my shins. I grin, running my hand down her bumpy snout. "You understand, don't you? You must do as I ask – I will bring your eggs too. You can nest in the Night Court."

Cradling her head in my small hands, I look back at Roman, who watches me with disbelief. "Wyvern Tamer, indeed." He muses. "Well, if she is yours, I suppose it is best you give her a name."

I sit myself completely on the floor, stroking my hand over the gristle and scars of her hide, comforted by her steadying breaths. "I hadn't thought much on that."

He moves to step closer, but when she grunts and twitches, he second guesses his actions. "You will need one for when you call her. Will likely need two more, if you intend to raise her young alongside her."

It doesn't take more than a moment for me to have a response. "Vasami. Her name is Vasami."

He smiles at me. "It suits her." He comments, but I already know that.

Vasami was the name of the heroine in all of my mother's stories. No matter the tale, she was a formidable character, destined for greatness as she won battles and stormed kingdoms and bested warriors. No matter her hardships, she always remained victorious. The story always finished with her triumph. My Vasami, the wyvern beside me, will reach the same potential. Both of us together, we will be as formidable as the woman in my mother's tales. Except we will not just be a story, we will be the terrifying reality.

———

I can't explain to you guys just how excited I am to see everything coming together. It's the most incredibly relieving feeling to see all my scribbles of ideas get a check mark next to them when they've finally been used.
I have shit written down that I want to include in book 3, and it was set in stone before I'd even drafted up a first edit for book 1😂

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21K 794 27
TEASER: "No fiancée of mine needs to learn how to fight." His breath flows upon the prickling skin of my neck. I close my eyes, involuntarily shu...
13.4K 511 25
18+ Loosely based on Romeo and Juliet set in a magical fae world. Two powerful families have ruled over the the dark and light fae for thousands of y...
116 41 9
Change is inevitable. Peace is easy to shatter, but hard to rebuild, just like trust. Greed has always led to humanity's worst mistakes. Yet it is ve...
402 36 10
Second book in the series Evelyn thought her battle was over when she broke from her ancestral bondage and the curse putting the mate bond. Destined...