TO DEATH & BEYOND โ–น tlou

By aurunium

๐“๐Ž ๐ƒ๐„๐€๐“๐‡ & ๐๐„๐˜๐Ž๐๐ƒ โ”โ” do monsters make war or war makes monsters? twenty years ag... More

TO DEATH & BEYOND
graphic gallery
[ 00 ] prologue
act one โ”€โ”€ the fire that consumes
[ 01 ] life cycle of a butterfly
[ 03 ] anatomy of a walking corpse

[ 02 ] man, monsters & machines

1.2K 70 30
By aurunium

entry II : " original use of chainsaw"

In 1780 two doctors
invented a cutting tool
strong enough to perform
the brutal yet more
secure surgery known as a
symphysiotomy on women.
The first chainsaw was
created to remove the pelvic
bone on women during
labor or childbirth.

almost twenty years after
the outbreak day

boston, quarantine zone
fireflies hq building

SMELL OF BURNING METAL AND LEAD wafted all over a tiny cubicle like workspace. In the middle of it, a lone woman in an all black clothing works her way into inspecting an assortment of minor weapons with visible damages on them. She had dark hair and eyes matching the shade of motor oil smudges that run up from the woman's face down to both arms. Her fingers work light and graceful on each gun, small or large, she oils up the jammed and burnt up spots before tinkering it with the proper tools needed for the first step of repair.

If the damage is too complicated to remedy in the initial attempt, she sets the firearm aside and scribbles something on the nearby yellow pad. After a few minutes doing the same routine over and over again, the dark haired woman stands up from her seat to lift a rusting power saw, clipped against a thick metal pole. The machine has been self cutting through it for a while now, and finally the metal has slid off into two. She had to try thrice before the live tool turned off properly.

The metal pieces were left in its place to cool off while the woman continued her work, this time with extra steps so she had to spend a longer time on tinkering each weapon.

As she sinks into the work, the music emitting from the worn out radio beside her sounded more lively in mood. The dark haired started to nod her head synced to the beat of Green Day's "Basket Case" and mouth off the chorus' lyrics. It was the only noise that surrounded her, a rare occurrence for the woman since she's used to constant gunfire and street fights that never seem to end when working back at her repair shop in Fifth street.

But in this building, in this room. The world is her oyster, she can do repair and welding jobs without extreme noises to distract her. It's been a long time since she's been this focused and clear of head while working.

"Hey, Wednesday Addams," a voice interrupted.

The woman didn't look up.

"Okay... Nadia," they corrected with a knock against the wooden door of the room.

This time Nadia lifted her head and acknowledged the man's presence whose name might be Eli as far as she knows. She put down the busted glock on her hands and spoke, "What?"

"Marlene's just checking on you," Eli started heading inside the room.

"I'm good." Her quick response made the man abruptly stop in his tracks. They remain halfway separated.

"Okay...," he made a small nod. "She's also asking if you can get it all done by 1pm and if you need anything else to finish quicker."

The woman blinked away a few seconds before ripping out a page from her pad paper and extending it towards. Eli reached out for the slightly crumpled sheet.

"If you have some of these... The stock I had in me is running low. I can't ran back at my shop, it's way too far without my bike."

"Alright, I'll tell her. Is there anything else?"

"Lunch?"

Eli went silent for a while, there's a hesitation in his eyes to entertain Nadia's request but he did. "Okay, I'll tell her."

The woman waited until he left the room and the door behind him was shut tight before proceeding on her work. Every once in a while she will crack her aching knuckles and pained neck. The weapons she's repairing are mostly handheld ones, either with jammed triggers, a handle that's been chipped off or busted gunstock. All are damages that she's been familiar with after years of working as a mechanic, though it didn't spare her from being met with the casual frustration of not getting it on one try.

Another hour passed unnoticed to the woman until her hands cramped and white lights danced before her eyes. She had to put everything at pause and catch a breath from the work she's been doing since 8 in the morning.

Nadia leaned her elbows against her parted knees, head lowered at the view of the creaky wooden floor beneath her feet. She stared aimlessly at the tiny gaps of its rotten lumberwork until her eyes were nothing but a blank slate. 

"Hey." Something light slammed against the work table beside the woman.

She was snapped out from the silent trance. Marlene, the woman she's familiar with the most, stood on the opposite side. In her left hand is a small, plastic tupperware covered with warm condensation from the inside. Nadia gazes at it with hunger in her eyes.

"It's yours," Marlene slid it closer to the table. The other woman didn't hesitate to unlock the container, the mouth watering smell of a home cooked dish spread all over the room. In an instant, the churn of her starved stomach began to settle.

"You got a fucking chicken potato salad sitting around here?!" She exclaimed as she wolf down the meal without any restraint. The combined taste of fresh vegetables and meat felt so foreign in the woman's mouth, for a split second she thought she'd faint over a spoonful of food.

"Shit, you if you just tell people on the streets "we have potato salad on our camps" instead of "look for the light". FEDRA would have been taken down, two days tops!"

Marlene could only roll her eyes in disbelief at the mechanic's comment, she didn't pay too much mind to it though. "That's missing like four ingredients a salad should have and that's been reheated three times," she snorted.

"Hell with that, this has mayo and chicken!"

The Firefly leader would watch Nadia devour the entire thing in a minute, not once pausing after each full bite. The plastic spoon scraped against the bottom of the almost empty container. An exasperated sigh sounded from the other woman before she clears her throat to get the attention of the mechanic.

"You're almost done here? It's noon already?"

"Yeah, yeah!" Nadia answered mouthful, swallowing down a bite as she rambled about the finished work on the pile. "The two radios are done, four of those transceiver things. The first bag of the guns are done too, I'm just finishing the second batch."

Marlene nodded in satisfaction, she was about to answer but the younger one's casual rant only continued.

"I got the list over there, for transparency and... the receipts y'know... And hey please stop trying to hot wire your stock batteries, it becomes unusable too quickly. Leave it alone, you can take it apart and rewire it from the inside. Don't throw busted rifles too, I used to scrap FEDRA's disposal and boy, I tell you I rebuilt three guns out of it... Also you know broke down car engines—"

The mechanic stopped herself the second she noticed the dull look on Marlene's half smiling expression.

"Yeah, you don't care about that. You work with gunfire."

A light chuckle escaped past the brunette's lips, she pursed her mouth and walked on the opposite side of the table, just next to the dark haired.

"Yeah, I don't care much about those things, Diana."

The younger woman's entire demeanor dropped in a millisecond. Her soft, brown eyes flickered with darkness in them. The half eaten meal clattered on the table surface, all of the sudden she felt no hunger anymore.

"What the hell?" It sounded more of a threat than a question.

"Relax, I don't care if you're hiding from people or what. We just need to know who we are working with, so I asked a few people. You're no threat to us. You're just the resident mechanic."

The explanation did nothing to the now guarded expression of Nadia, if she only had to ask a "few people" to know her real identity, then how many out there really knows Diana Adler? Her mind raced through the possible dangers she's facing that she wasn't even aware of, but before panic could completely take over the woman, a rational thought interrupted her.

These are Firefly members they are talking about. Ones who probably have a network of informants after two decades of fighting against a fascist regime. Of course it'll be easy for them to know things.

"You asked your men? Just them?" Diana starts to adjust herself from the new found information.

"Yes, it's just them. They have ways of knowing shit around here, that's how we recruit," Marlene assured.

The mechanic exhaled sharp into her nostrils and let her limp body sprawled on the swivel chair she's sitting at, the seat turned sideways back and forth as it creaked.

"You have no idea how bad the rat problem is in this place," she rubbed her palms against her face. She let out a groan from frustration.

"Oh, trust me I do. Why do you think it's been twenty years for us?"

Diana looked over her shoulder to meet the leader's sympathetic eyes, then it fades away and the same hardened gaze she always carries is back again.

"I just repair stuff, man. I don't really care about anyone's business and fight as long as I get paid," the dark haired murmured.

"Exactly why we came to you. We just need someone who can fix our stash, doesn't ask bullshit and minds her own thing. You work for everybody and nobody at the same time."

She nodded lightly at the woman's words and pursed her lips, "Yeah I do... I get clients from everywhere. Hell I even helped FEDRA, you probably want to kill me for that."

"No I don't. You're just another desperate civilian trying to get through each day. FEDRA wants to keep this place that way forever."

Diana attempted to avoid the woman's gaze but it was piercing against her cover.

"You have no idea how many people out there are just like you. Anyone who'll take any job just to get a warm meal for the entire day. That's almost everyone, everyone we're trying to help."

Marlene lowered herself on the same level as Diana, she drew closer to the mechanic to say the final conditions of their work together, "So when you walk out of this building in the afternoon, just do what you always do."

"Don't give a shit." Diana concluded

"Exactly, you don't care about us, we don't poke in your business. We got our weapons fixed, you get paid. Win win for everybody." Marlene made it sound so simple, to which Diana couldn't agree more. She fixed herself from the sprawled position and adjusted closer to the table to restart the unfinished work.

"Will I be out here by 2pm?" Her hands started assembling the taken out parts of a SIG.

"Yeah, the car battery is coming up any time. That's the last on the list, just boost it up and you're good to good."

Marlene lightly patted down her shoulder when she stood up to head out of the room. Silence reigned on Diana's workplace once again, she was left with echoing noises of murmurs from the other rooms in the hall. Her eyes caught the leftover salad by the corner of the table, it didn't look as appetizing as it was moments ago.

As the mechanic immersed herself in finally finishing the job she was hired to do, a continuous clanking of a chain from the nearby room passed through the walls. Causing a constant but bearable annoyance to the working woman.

━━━━━━━━━━

NADIA, DINA, DENICE, NAI. Diana Adler had gone through so many aliases ever since her arrival at the Boston Quarantine Zone. Surviving after the Outbreak Day led them to be fully accustomed to the way of life in a wasteland. The first thing to keep in mind when you arrive in a new territory is to rarely use your real name. Only give it to FEDRA officers when necessary but if not, better keep a string of aliases. It provides a blanket of anonymity that makes it harder to be tracked down, so you're less likely to stay on anybody else's radar. You're a commoner. Someone who easily blends and fades in the background. Being low profile is a luxury in places like a government quarantine zone.

So Diana kept that habit even when she finally had her own place and a repair shop on the outskirts of the settlement. And of course until now. She may have loads of customers from FEDRA and residents all over the QZ but only few know the woman by her real name.

But what happened shouldn't be such a  surprise to Diana if the Fireflies, or their leader Marlene at least, knows who she is. The rebel group operates with the efficiency of creating personal connection with the people. That's where the foundation of the resistance is built on. Knowing the lives survivors have endured in the so-called safe haven of quarantine zones, unlike FEDRA who generally see them as livestock to be milked for work until one's flame goes out from the infection or other least horrible ways to go.

The two groups couldn't be more different in terms of beliefs, the latter follows an authoritarian system to govern a surviving settlement of humanity after a massive, societal collapse. While the former was a response to the cruelty implemented by the other faction, motivated to create a better quality of living for the survivors of the infection.

But they meet on a common ground of survival as an ultimate goal and violence as a method to achieve it. Two things that come hand in hand on the broken world they live in. Diana has learned to balance herself on the tightrope held by those two.

Not too close, not too far either.

So when she was met by a discreet offer in the junkyard near the 22nd Corner, promising her a week's worth of supplies and food in exchange for a few days of services for a lone client. Diana did not consider refusal.

The frequent Firefly attacks on the populated zones of the city had made a dent on her repair job. Customers perished at the deeper outskirts of the settlement, far from the dangers of the military and rebel crossfire.

In Diana's eyes it's only right for them to make up for the loss of income she's been enduring for the past weeks. Not to mention it's not such a terrible deal. She only had to spend four days on an isolated HQ on the south of the quarantine zone, with a workplace of her own and supply of ration packs. After today she'll be on her merry way back to her shop and the next weeks of supplies are already covered.

"Hey," she called out to a short haired woman passing in the hallway, the door was halfway opened so she notices every person who walks by. "What's going on, why does it look like everyone's leaving?"

"Yeah, yeah. We are- I mean-," the woman instantly regretted answering.

"Hey, I don't care about any Fireflies plan of attack. Marlene hired me to be here. So someone please tell me what's going on."

Diana stood up from the swivel chair and drew closer by the door frame to lean against it.

"Some of us are leaving for patrol, yes. Marlene said you still have one work to do, she's busy right now. Some people she has business with came in, she'll go back here. Just wait." She didn't give Diana a moment to ask further and walked away in a hurry towards the staircase.

The mechanic threw her head backwards as she groaned from the growing boredom and annoyance. It's been more than an hour since she finished the job, she even packed and labelled the bags of the newly repaired weapons. Everything is set to go apart from the car battery that hasn't arrived until now.

Everything is starting to bug Diana, the talking noises on the floor level, the constant people passing by, even the rattle of the wind against the glass panel of her room. It's probably just the lack of sleep. She really needs to go home to catch a good one. Since she haven't had any proper rest since she arrived at the place. Diana found it difficult to sleep peacefully in her room considering she's in Firefly territory. The dangers of a sudden gunfight are just around the corner.

Diana yawned as exhaustion began to creep into her body. She doesn't give into it and instead entertains herself by turning on the mixtape sitting inside the radio.

It's overused but it's better than nothing.

The first song was only on its bridge when a shot rang across the hallway. Diana's heart flipped for the sudden shock, she jumped on her feet to shut the door of the room.

"Diana stay inside!" Marlene screamed on the top of her lungs, it was followed by continuous exchange of bullets.

The mechanic immediately took shelter under the worktable. Which felt useless considering it is literal gunfire just beyond the walls surrounding her. Her clammy hands found themselves covering Diana's ears from the booming noises. She buried her face on the gap of her knees as she waited for the shots to subside even for a moment.

Gunfight is not a new occurrence in Diana's daily basis. Besides being alone in life, gun violence is the second, most constant thing in her world. But that doesn't mean she's fine being caught between a crossfire of a rebel faction and possibly FEDRA's army. If it's the military outside and she survives this encounter by some chance, she'll be taken in as a supporter of the Fireflies. They will not shoot her on sight but she'll have a sure spot on the platform at the plaza square, just right below a tied rope.

What does she expect after working with an armed resistance group? Safety? A danger free environment?

"Diana!" A voice called out behind the door. The gunshots had finally stopped. A deafening silence now surrounds the building floor.

"Marlene?"

"We're here," the leader answered in a meek tone. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, yeah," Diana got up from the curled down position and slowly reached for the sealed door. When it unlocks, the woman is greeted by a mess. Gunned down bodies laid in pools of blood from both ends of the hallway.

Marlene and another Firefly, Kim stood arm in arm. They are both bleeding but Marlene was hit on the side, fresh dark blood spurts out the wound. She looks like she is about to pass out from the pain and blood loss.

"Shit." Diana quickly took Marlene's other arm around her to support the woman on her feet. "What the fuck happened? FEDRA got in here or something?"

"No, just greedy scalpers," the Firefly leader answered. She took a shallow breath via her mouth to lessen the pain of moving. "The emergency supplies are in the corner room in the next hallway."

With Diana and Kim assisting the woman side by side, the group of three started to head for the right wing of the floor. Though slow and difficult due to injuries sustained by the other two. Diana steps over a couple of littered bodies on the near end corner.

"It's just the two of you left?" She dared to ask.

"Others left for the patrol and other Firefly areas before those sellers came. But yeah, it's just us." Marlene winced in discomfort.

As more bodies of Firefly members appeared on their path a sick realization hit Diana. She froze on her tracks and prompted the two women to stop as well. Her eyes darted wide and narrow, with mouth halfway hanging open.

"Oh god, does this mean I'm not getting paid?"

Both Marlene and Kim are evidently taken aback by such a callous question. They look like they are about to hit the woman with the barrel of their guns.

"Thank you so much for your heartfelt concern for my situation and what just happened to my people," Marlene replied breathless. "I really appreciate it."

"Hey... We talked about this earlier," Diana sounded offended by the insinuation. "Your business is yours, mine is mine... I'm here to get paid not killed. And I almost did."

The weight of the woman in her shoulders increased when she stumbled sideways, Marlene sucked air behind her teeth as more blood bloomed inside her shirt. She swallowed thickly and exhaled deep between the pain.

"You... are getting... paid, Diana." The brunette huffed.

"You sure?"

Kim sighed loudly to interrupt the mechanic from having an inappropriate moment of questions. "You know, help us first before you interrogate her?"

Diana went quite almost immediately, it didn't stop her from replying though, "Alright, questions later...,"

They are almost in the room of the medical supplies needed to patch up the gunshot wound, when Marlene half collapses. Sending the three into a connected side fall. Diana, being the strongest one among them, tried the best to pull the weight back so they could continue walking.

"We're almost there, c'mon you two." A half assed encouragement came out of the younger one.

Marlene only kept gasping for air. It's almost like she's about to pass out, Diana could only hope she won't. She can't carry an unconscious person even this short distance, besides she still needs to be paid.

"Okay, c'mon," Kim pulled up and they took another step. More grunts sounded from Marlene.

"Hey, hey. Stay with us, okay?"

A few more feet and they are good to go when a feral scream echoed behind them, followed by slamming against the wall and a gun click. Adrenaline rush took over the two Fireflies with Diana, in a split second the both of them had their weapons drawn out towards the sound.

The dark haired one has turned around as well to check what's happening.

Crumpled on the floor nearby is a girl in a ponytail and a pair of casual, rugged looking clothes. It seems like she came out jumping from the unlocked door behind them. What came as a surprise to Diana wasn't the child that sprung out of nowhere, it was the person towering next to her.

Much has changed since she last saw him. He's less leaner but still gruff looking, white hairs peppered his cropped cut and the beard and mustache decorating his face. The usual dullness still lurks on the corner of his eyes, just like how Diana remembers it.

"Joel?" That's it, that's him.

"Marlene?"

"You..."

"Diana?"

The situation obviously baffled the two sides. But not more than Diana is. Marlene checked on the ponytail girl first before anything else, the girl didn't look hurt so she just nodded. She then proceeded to reach for a shiny object just next to her, but the person standing in front trapped it by the foot. A snarl sounded from the little girl with the weapon on her head close by.

"Ellie...," the Firefly leader called out. "Ellie!" She lowered the gun she's holding.

"Oh shit!" Ellie immediately went when she saw the wound on her side.

"No, it's okay. I'll be alright," Marlene assured. "You can't be stupid like this!"

Another person emerged from the corner of the hallway, another recognizable face to Diana. Bruises and small scars covered the woman's face, her long disheveled, brown hair was tied back on a lousy knot.

Her voice is still as scruffy as the day they meet each other, "So this is who Robert screwed us over with? The Che Guevara of Boston?"

The other person stopped in her tracks when she saw the third woman with the Fireflies.

"Diana? What is she doing here?"

The mention of her name prompted the mechanic to fully raise her face and meet the piercing gaze of the pair from the other side of the corridor.

Joel Miller and Tess Servopoulos. The mere mental note of their names makes Diana want to roll her eyes on the back of her head. Assholes.

"Business. What else?" The dark haired answered smugly.

Tess only scoffed at her reply. "I mean, war must be goin’ pretty shitty for you to be buying from scumbags like him," she pointed at the killed trader by her feet. "And hiring people like her."

"Yeah, it kinda has been," Marlene grunted, her hand clutching against the side wound. "The merch was bad, and he obviously didn’t take “fuck off” for an answer."

"What do you need a car battery for? What is she doing here?" Joel nodded at Diana's direction. Meanwhile, Ellie tried again to reach for the knife pinned on the man's foot. It prompted him to point the gun closer. "Don’t."

"Not at her," Marlene raised her weapon in unison with Kim, Tess didn't hesitate to do the same thing. Now everyone in the hallway is armed except for the two youngest ones.

"Point it at me," the brunette tried to convince Joel. He didn't comply instantly, he made sure the girl by his side was terrified enough not to attempt arming herself. Joel only moved the revolver towards Marlene when he saw Ellie had completely surrendered.

"And to answer your first question, I need it for a better reason than you do. No offense, but Tommy and Sam are just two men," the rebel leader explained. "For the second one, she's supposed to boost and set up the battery but it's way too damaged for that."

Joel is visibly upset at what Marlene just said about his younger brothers. Diana suddenly had a vague recollection of either the two men joining the Fireflies many years ago. The woman pushed down the urge to question what Tommy and Sam have to do with Joel needing a car battery.

"It’s our business to know things," Marlene let out a half clear excuse. Of course they know things, even clearly personal ones.

"To know things," Joel reiterated the phrase with an emphasis. "You’re the cause of it. You turned my own brothers against me."

"Okay, Joel," she cuts him off.

"That was a lot of gunfire. FEDRA’s gonna be on the way." Kim reminded her leader.

"I know." Marlene chewed her lower lip, she looked over at the little girl who's still sitting nearby. Hesitation was obvious in her face but she still spoke up, "We were gonna move Ellie outta the zone tonight. But we won’t make it anywhere like this. Not for a while anyway."

There was a momentary pause on her answer, as if she's trying to thread her words properly. "So now I’m thinkin’…," she stared at the pair of smugglers facing her. "You’re gonna do it. And Diana's joining you."

"The hell we are!"

"I’m not goin’ with them!"

"Fuck, why did I get into it?!"

"Let me take her!"

The entire hallway erupted into an overlapping disagreement on every party Marlene set up together. Diana shut tight her eyes and let out a squeal of infuriation. Half an hour later she's about to get paid well and go home at last, now she's being commanded by a rebel to smuggle a child miles away from the QZ.

"Tess… we don’t have time for this," Joel looked back at his partner.

"Oh, you don’t have time?"

"Who is she?" Tess questioned with the curiosity that's been bugging Diana.

"To you? She’s cargo."

"We don’t smuggle people," Joel refused. "Sorry."

"I can do it." The other Firefly tried to convince her otherwise.

"Kim, you don’t have a fuckin’ ear on your fuckin’ head," Marlene snapped. "Could you please? There’s a team of Fireflies waiting for her at the old State House."

Joel only scoff at the mention of the far fetched location.

"I know what’s out there. We were going with an entire squadron for that very reason," the brunette continued in between grunts. "But now I don’t have a truck, I don’t have a squadron, FEDRA’s five minutes away. What I do have is the three of you."

"Why am I even included?" Diana interrupted with an agitated tone. "I only repair shit."

"You're a mechanic! You can keep an open line of communication by the road, keep us updated on where you are. I need that."

"And how the hell am I supposed to get back here?" She raised the immediate concern for her safe return to the QZ.

"Some of the Fireflies there have to go back here to pick the rest of us. You'll ride with them and you're good!"

When the dark haired fell silent Marlene turned to the duo of smugglers. "And I know what you’re both capable of. For better or worse."

"What are they capable of?" Ellie wondered.

"You get her there safely, and they’ll give you what you need. Not just a battery. The whole thing. Fueled-up truck, guns, supplies, all of it. I swear." She started to price the risky deal. "And Diana, you'll get twice the payment I promised. For the repair. And transport."

"I swear."

The older man looked over his shoulder to see what his partner thought of it. Tess only nodded for a seal of approval. It took a moment for Joel to finally lift his foot to walk away from the spot.

"Asshole!" Ellie hissed as her knife skidded farther from where it was.

While the two smugglers have an inaudible exchange regarding the conditions to be met for the deal, Diana just lets the temporary silence sink in to think. She leaned back against the wooden wall behind her, hands crossed and head slightly hitting the solid surface. Even if she refuses to go, she'll be leaving the building without pay, all her materials used up and supplies back at home running low. The mechanic was counting on the commission she'll get from the Fireflies to get through the next two weeks, until other clients start coming in her shop. She's gonna starve and freeze to death if she comes home empty handed today.

"I'm never gonna forget this betrayal." She muttered half jokingly. "I really needed that pay, Marlene. Now I have to travel miles away just so I could eat this week."

"I know, you told me. I'm sorry," Marlene apologized with sincerity in her tone. "This team was supposed to complete the trade for your payment package, now none of us can leave."

Diana pursed her lips ang let out a heavy sigh, "What's the channel? Where can I send the message?"

"The same frequency they use on this quarantine zone, just backwards. It's easy to access, we only use it for one time emergencies."

They shared a brief stare before the mechanic nodded in understanding.

"---second we hand that kid over…"

"Y’all talk it through, but please remember that I’m bleeding out," the older woman eventually interrupted the ongoing conversation.

A shared look of understanding between the two went on for a few seconds, then Tess turned around.

"Okay. Here’s the deal," she started. "We’ll get her to your crew at the State House. But before we hand her over, they give us everything that we want. If not, we kill her, there and then."

"Deal." Marlene didn't not even hesitate.

"Really? That fast?" Ellie was outright offended by the quick decision to just hand her over to a new group.

"You are all that matters. My team will not jeopardize that," the leader of the Fireflies assured. "Remember what I told you? Now go get your backpack."

The young girl didn't comply right away, she just stared at Marlene with an obvious dismay.

"Now, Ellie."

Despite the protest, Ellie stood up and fished her backpack from the empty room at their right. Diana had nothing left to do but join the other three people in their recently assembled team.

"Let’s go."

Tess was the first one to walk away, the younger woman trailed after her former guardian. Before they could all turn their backs, Marlene leaves a reminder even Diana strongly agrees with.

"Joel… don’t fuck this up. Please."

&&&

ashara's
endnotes !

I was aiming to finish the last half of the first episode but I'm reaching to 6k+ if I did 😭 it'll be too much in one chapter so just watch out for the third chapter that covers it. I was kinda bummed with my writing in the middle part of the first scene but it eventually got better in the next ones. All I can think of while writing the reunion of Joel and Diana is that one Shrek meme 💀

Anyways I'm very motivated for this fic, I can't believe I've already written a thousand words for the next chapter. It's my goal to catch up with the current episodes before the show ends. I want to finish this book or maybe even reach more than halfway before the finale comes.

Don't forget to drop a quick or short feedback about the chapter! I'd really appreciate it ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 103 5
โคท HELL FROM ABOVE โคถ Where a smuggler gets tasked with the job to smuggle two teenagers across the country, one hiding a big secret, the other needin...
19.2K 942 10
โ–Œ ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡...aurora fitz has to decide between life and death whilst surviving a post-apocalyptic experience. โ๐’๐‡๐„ ๐’๐„๐„๐Œ๐„๐ƒ ๐ˆ๐๐๐Ž๐‚๏ฟฝ...
10.6K 150 22
โ€ขยฐโ€ขยฐโ€ขยฐโ€ ยฐโ€ขยฐโ€ขยฐโ€ข What if Ellie wasn't the only person truly immune? Joel knew she was different. from the time Tess found the little girl surrounded by...
338K 13K 55
โ›they sacrifice the few to save the manyโœ ( joel miller ร— fem!oc ) following the show mostly with hints of the game...