Artificial Horizon - A César...

By 23meraki

You recently became part of the promotion team of the flag carrier of the country, and you're tasked to shoot... More

* Introduction *
I - Trade Winds
II - Squawk
III - Magnetic Bearing
IV - Glide Slope
V - Out of Trim
VI - Angle of Attack
VIII - Contrails
IX - INCERFA
X - Beacon
XI - 7500
XII - Lift
XIII - Homing
XIV - Knot
XV - Slip
XVI - Skid
XVII: Occluded Front
XVIII: Crosswind
XIX: Field of Vision
XX: Line of Position
XXI: Catch Point
XXII: Inversion Layer
XXIII: Rule of Thumb
XXIV: Downdraft
XXV: Dewpoint
XXVI: Threshold
XXVII: Windshear
XXVIII: Blind Transmission
XXIX: Mean Sun
XXX: Confirm
XXXI: Approach
XXXII: Feather
XXXIII: Mist
XXXIV: Pre-ignition
XXXV: Spin
XXXVI: Swell
XXXVII - Point of No Return
XXXVIII - Decision Height
XXXIX - DETRESFA
XL - Gravity
XLI - Open-skies
XLII - Spoiler
XLIII - Final Approach
XLIV - Artificial Horizon
* The Story behind ARTIFICIAL HORIZON *
XLV - Adverse Yaw
XLVI - Course
XLVII - Coriolis Force
XLVIII - Headwind
XLIX - Rhumb Line
L - Acknowledge
LI - Landing
The Succeeding Years
* Lt. César Basa (1915-1941) *
* Photographs *
* Timeline of AH's creation *
* Creating the world of AH *
* Sources & Credits *
* Inspired Playlist *
Bonus Chapter - Line of Position (Extended Version)
Bonus Chapter - Line of Position (César's POV)
Bonus Chapter - Touchdown

VII - Shock Wave

146 12 2
By 23meraki

Compression wave caused by supersonic motion.
When an aircraft approaches the speed of sound, the airflow over the wing reaches supersonic speed before the airplane itself does, and a shock wave forms on the wing. The airflow behind the shock wave breaks up into a turbulent wake, increasing drag.

* * *

It is not strange, believe me, to know that a man such as Elian Basa will have a fanbase of his own. Well, not because he is known to be one of the leading models of the airline's leaflets, but because of his background during college as a member of Ateneo Blue Eagles. Fame is part of it, even though it appears that his only objective was to play and nothing more. That's why, even though his other teammates are taken by big companies to be their endorsers, he declines it all. Until he enters flight school and the airlines; seems like he has no choice but to consider the incentive, even though I am unsure what is mentioned behind closed doors concerning additional benefits for projects as such.

However, I didn't realize that my gut-feeling will instead be that of involving him than the man in my dreams. Not to mention that even adding the year of the World War II to the name, there are no records that Google can show me. And fuck it all that I've forgotten the year in my dreams at all; but if I'll be returning, I'll ensure that I remember the duration of the war: 1 September 1939 until 2 September 1945. Yet, I am not hopeful of any possible comeback at all.

We continue our shooting at the airport's ramp area. And for the scenes to be shot here, the crew are to be on their Type A uniforms; which is in terms of dressing, their most formal one which is complete of their coats and hats. For the ladies, it also means a full makeup and at such time, it is almost annoying for anyone. But for the sake of the success of this promotional shoot, everyone remains in high spirit.

Well, who will not be annoyed by such situation? It is not even that all sunny as Davao is known to often be cloudy during the afternoon, but the ramp area is smoldering hot. For the short time that I am in the airline industry's PR department, I somehow learn that a few minutes of sun against the ramp area where there are no trees for a shade is definitely like being cooked alive. Not to mention that the air is arid and dry that makeup retouches had been frequent and the short minute breaks, too.

As of the moment, it is the flight attendants' time to be in front of the camera, the boys are currently with the PR team's wardrobe and makeup people for the retouches, which is definitely feet away from where we are currently shooting by the plane's tail. Like everyone else assigned to the hands' on cinematography itself, I have no choice but to be burnt to crisp under the sun; since even umbrellas are like what they call as FOD or foreign object debris. Thankfully, even if I am feeling sweaty, I have my shades and I decided to wear a thin long sleeve shirt and trousers to spare me from the heat.

Since the ramp area is still an active part of the airport, with us given the farthest gate area to where the plane we've flown before had been parked overnight for this shoot, we need to remain within the limited areas in any case that our presence will be considered a hindrance to other maneuvering aircraft. I guess the reflector vests that we're all wearing, except for the ones being shoot in front of the camera, are the last shield of defense. It is better to keep one's self protected still.

But, among all, one of the flight attendants stand out the most. Clara, despite the heat, seems to be vibing with it. It starts to feel like she's another bright sun to contribute to the hot weather, and I can't help admiring her much more for her professionalism. Though the two other flight attendants are cooperating well, it is her bubbly nature that is very evident with the entire shoot still. Because, let's admit it, the boys can't be that cheerful, especially when they stand right next to Elian in one frame. The man itself is an enigma that I do not doubt will also decrease Clara's brightness later on with their group's shoot.

I sigh heavily as I look down on the timetable of the shoot and the necessary scenes to be taken, fumbling the next for my handkerchief deep in my pocket. By the time I manage to do so, wiping the sweat away from my forehead and neck, Ellen once more approaches me after being cooked by her alive earlier.

Of course, after that curious and innocent question of mine concerning something such as the 'Basa Air Base', she makes quite a mention of it that she'll be purging me for more. The only reason that she didn't able to roast me until now is because of the location. The Philippine Eagle Foundation Conservatory is too quiet for our murmurs to continue on, and lunch had been with everyone else; now, where the sound of aircraft arriving and departing is just a few meters away from us, whispers in between us will definitely be quite private.

"Hindi pa ako tapos sa pagtatanong sa iyo, (Y/N)," she adds as she draws close to my ear by the time she reaches me. "Ano talaga ang dahilan kung bakit mo naitanong 'yong sa Basa Air Base? Ikaw ha... share mo naman!"

"Seryoso rin kasi, Ellen," I answer back, doing the same for us to hear one another. "Some sort of gut-feeling na may ganoon na lugar tapos walang lumabas sa Google. Malay ko ba na magiging involved 'yon sa kanya. And to top it all, sa fanbase niya kamo?!"

"Oo. 'Yon nga talaga 'yong tawag sa fanbase niya, kahit medyo weird. But who am I to judge them, ika nga? Baka naman nakita mo once tapos rinerecruit ka kaya mo naitanong kung ano ba iyon."

"Hindi no! 'Wag mo sabihin sa akin na part ka rin no'ng fanbase na iyon para malaman mo ang tungkol doon."

"Natesting mo ba na i-search sa Google 'yong 'Basa Air Base' talaga?" she inquires the next.

To be honest, hindi. Dahil mas interesado ako tungkol kay Lt. César Basa, at sa possibility na hindi ako nangangarap lang basta-basta. Apparently, mukha talagang delusional lang ako concerning Elian.

"Bakit ko naman i-sesearch iyon ngayong alam ko na naman ang meaning according sa iyo?" I counter.

She sighs heavily and pouts a little before looking on at the direction where the boys are by the shade of the airport's terminal, all prep up for the next part of their shoot.

Currently, they are conversing with the two makeup artists we have in the team, but it appears like they're only talking with the two flight stewards; all the while Capt. Zablan is discussing something with Elian himself. I guess, pilots are really the odd ones from the bunch.

"Akala ko nga mas magkakaroon ka ng idea about that, given that Atenista rin si Capt. Elian," Ellen remarks. "You know, same kayo ng alma mater and all that."

Among the PR Team, I am the only one from Ateneo, as most of them are from La Salle; and even in our current group, it is only I and Elian. The rest are from other universities joined together by their interest with flying itself.

"Hindi pa naman siya nag-flflying at that time, and sino ba ang mag-aakala sa Ateneo na mag-pipiloto talaga siya?" I remark.

"Hmm... Ano ba talaga ang natapos niya sa Ateneo?"

"Chemistry. Or rather, major in Chemistry."

"'Oy... paano mo naman nalaman iyon kung 'di naman kayo pareho ng department? Ikaw talaga, (Y/N), ha..."

"Malamang naman alam 'yon ng buong Ateneo. Kaya nga raw walang tapon eh. Gwapo, athletic, tapos matalino pa. Honor 'yan ng batch nila."

"Diyos ko, bakit naman nag-piloto siya kung kering-keri niya pala maging chemist."

"Eh 'di tanungin mo siya," I say. "But one thing's for sure, he's got the money para mag-flying. Dahil kung ako 'yon, matutuktukan ako ng mga magulang ko na pagkatapos ako pag-aralin ng ilang taon tapos sasabihin kong gusto ko mag-piloto... baka tinakwil pa ako."

Ellen laughs. "So true naman talaga!"

"Everyone, back to the shade muna," Kathleen announces. "We'll be resuming at ten para makapag-refresh muna ang ating mga actresses. Ladies, great work."

Immediately, I and Ellen are quick to leave the conversation hanging as we help our cameramen to recover their gears. It may be a little outside of my tasks for outside-the-plane shoots but only ensuring the timetable and the scenes are shoot is quite little that I can take more works for everyone's convenience, too. By the time that we make it back to the shades, the ladies are definitely buzzing in suppressed squeals and soft murmurs; well, except for me and Ellen, or rather, only at first. Because even Ellen did curse under her breath, flushes and gains my attention at once.

What on earth?

"Oh my god," Ellen mutters, blushing. "Talagang masyadong eyesore kapag magkasama ang mga gwapo. Nakakasilaw!"

I frown and then turn my attention to the direction where she is looking, wherein even the other ladies had drawn their attention to. And I can swear that my eyes widen upon realizing who it is. I don't know what truly surprised me—what is he doing here, or the fact that his presence here is like a parallel to that of my recent dreams?

The mestizo-looking Captain Antonio Mondigo, dressed in the same white pilot's uniform with three-bar epaulettes denoting his status as a first officer who definitely has hundreds of hours already not enough for the position of a pilot-in-command, except for the presence of a hat and coat compared to Elian and Capt. Zablan right now, and with a reflector vest and shades, is in every aspect a handsome fellow. He actually raises a hand and has his entire focus on to where the two pilots with us in the shoot are, meeting with them next to the closest jet bridge where Capt. Zablan is sitting on one of the steps.

Even from our position, it is audible to hear what the three of them are talking about.

"Good afternoon, Capt. Porf. Elian," the newly-arrived pilot greets them. "Looking sharp naman tayo ngayon, ha? Musta buhay artista, sirs?"

"Itong si Elian ang makakasagot niyan," Capt. Zablan answers with a light chuckle. "Paniguradong makakahatak ng viewership sa mga ka-edad niyo."

Elian didn't answer to that and just raises an eyebrow.

Capt. Mondigo laughs before placing an arm around Elian's shoulders. "Malamang naman po, capt! That's expected mula sa ating 'Face of the Airlines'. Ngayon, seryosong-seryoso na sa kanya talaga 'yong title na 'yon. Gulat nga rin 'yong iba na tinanggap mo na rin, finally, 'yong offer, Els!"

The other one frowns and mutters something that seems to only be directed at Capt. Mondigo; at that, somehow, the latter's grin widens and looks around the entire group with us right now. When he waves at the ladies, they definitely squeal much more; scanning then the other staffs, and lastly to where I and Ellen stand. He replies in an equivalent whisper, too.

Paranoid me is thinking that Capt. Mondigo just said something to Elian concerning me for him to speak of that something all the while looking at me. But I am definitely just getting ahead of myself to think of it that way.

I sigh heavily as I and Ellen continue on our way to where the rest of the promotion team are.

Along the way, however, with everyone's eyes still glued on the two, we hear the murmurs of the others saying that Capt. Mondigo should be part of the promotion, too, due to his good-looks and charming demeanor that will definitely attract many others. But someone counters that putting him right next to Elian is like endorsing that every pilot in the airlines is 'that handsome', as if that beauty will be the saving grace of a safe and comforting travel than skills and experience; and not to mention that it is like an overpowering combination of beauty.

Capt. Zablan laughs at something that Capt. Mondigo tells them and ushers a hand, "Kung ako kay Jess, matutuktukan kita na tumatambay ka rito imbis na mag-360 walk-around. Daig ka pa ni Elian na natuktukan ko naman na nag-360 kaagad-agad bago pa mag-ayos sa deck."

"'Wag, 'wag, capt! Panigurado ngang malalagot ako kay capt kapag sinabi niyo," Capt. Mondigo remarks as he raises his hands in surrender. "Quiet lang naman tayo, 'no, capt?"

"Ako na lang pala magsusumbong kay Capt. Villamor kung ganoon, Tony," Elian counters.

"Oh, no! 'Wag ka naman ganyan, Els. Para namang 'di tayo magkaibigan, 'oy."

"At dapat mag-sorry ka sa promotion team dahil nakakaistorbo ka kaysa na tapusin na namin itong shoot na ito. Mauuna pa rin kayong umalis kaysa sa amin."

Capt. Mondigo pouts slightly and slowly walks to where our team is, but if ever it seems like he is not willing to do so, there is an evident skip on his steps that incorporates his giddy nature. He reaches Kathleen first and speaks a few words with her, and then to the next member of the team, and then to the next. He personally addresses each of us just at the same time that one by one, our team are also returning back to the position of the shooting with the flight and cabin crews.

Ellen almost flirtatiously giggles when Capt. Mondigo reaches her before she heads on back to her position.

And finally, I am the last one for him to acknowledge.

He takes a moment to look at me with a smile and turns to my identification card. "Ah, (Y/N)... So ikaw si (Y/N). Nabanggit ka sa akin ni Clara earlier. Take care of her, okay?"

I blink at him.

Is it possible na talagang sila at 'di lang nila pinapaalam sa iba? And paano niya ako nabanggit kay Capt. Mondigo? 'Yong sinabi niyang may makulit siyang ka-chat, si Capt. Mondigo ba 'yon?

In the end, I meekly nod; unsure what to really answer to that.

"And also, take care of Elian, okay?" he adds.

Now, mas naguguluhan na ako. 'Wag niyang sabihin na nabanggit din ako ni Elian sa kanya?! Imposible!

"Iisa-isahin niyo ba, capt, ang lahat ng flight and cabin crews na involved sa promotion para alagaan ko?" I manage to counter.

At that, he chuckles and nods. "Nasabihan ko na rin 'yong iba sa team niyo na alagaan 'yong iba. For you, it's the two of them."

I almost ask him, So pinapaubaya mo sa akin 'yong girlfriend at boyfriend mo?

"It might be a little hard to deal with a man such as Elian for things that he will surely consider unworthy. Something as this," he adds.

"Well, he needs to deal with it since he is a superstar before being a pilot."

"I know, right? I think he is always a star, pero ikaw na rin ang nagsabi na for now, he is always a pilot, too. But don't worry about him. Kung ano man ang ginagawa niya or pinapakita niya na minsan gusto mo na lang siya sakalin."

Ang kinky mo naman sa boyfriend mo... I think.

"But he is definitely easy to deal with... when it comes to you," he remarks with a knowing smile as he slowly takes a step back and walks away. Raising a wave in a goodbye, he adds, "Probably the perks of being both from Ateneo."

Wait, ano raw? Anong pinagsasabi niya?

He turns to where Capt. Zablan and Elian are, calling for them and waves a hand again; before heading on to where their plane is park to finally do his 360 walk-around inspection.

* * *

A/N: Vote, comment and share! Whatever you do means a lot to me, and I am really wishing for some feedback!

A few list of notes/flight trivia to share!
1. Ramp heat. With both experience in aiding ramp agents for the ground time that airlines have at the bay area for the unloading and loading of cargo, disembarking and embarking of passengers, refueling, cleaning, restocking of food, and offloading of wastes; and dealing with 360 walk-around inspections of Cessna C172 during every flight... I can say that ramp heat is definitely damn hot. The heat hurts the skin, the air is too hot, and it is too bright out during sunny days. I'll be honest to say that during those two occurrences, I can't help but to have a tan!
2. Flight attendants vs flight stewards. Technically, they are not interchangable. There are really no such word as "flight stewardess", too. In the industry, "flight attendant" defines a woman, and "flight steward" defines a man. Hence, in the flight manifest, female cabin crews are noted as FA, and male cabin crews are noted as FS.
3. FOD or Foreign Object Debris. Any object that should not be found in the ramp area at all, and umbrellas are considered a part of it, onlt acceptable during rainy days and for disembarking passengers. Cruel? Perhaps. But it is for the plane's safety. Addition to the heat, surface winds on the ramp area is also stronger and free-flowing due to the lack of "barriers". In science, wind is moving air; hence, wind will flow in a stationary manner, along with the rotation of the earth leading to the Coriolis force, and will then be hindranced alone by objects. Consider it as part of Newton's First Law of Motion.
4. Flight and cabin crews. Flight crews are the pilots or flight engineers responsible for the flight itself; while cabin crews are the flight attendants and flight stewards.

Chapter title: Shock Wave. Aside from the initial "shock" or "surprised" for the side of the Reader, I'll be honest that it is quite farfetched of me to consider it as the deserving title for this chapter. However, it is somehow fitting to continue the initial attacks from the previous chapter all the way to here. Just as a shock wave is breaking the sound barrier, this chapter is definitely breaking more and more truths than what the Reader knows of.

Follow me on twitter @23meraki for more updates and trivia. ;)
#CFBArtificialHorizon

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.6K 1K 33
It's hard living in the shadow of a successful older sibling, and that's exactly what Samantha Stump has been doing her whole life. Even though she's...
9.6K 139 74
Music🎧 is my life💕 The Lyrics are my story📄 Song Lyrics😍
14.6K 543 59
I've always enjoyed writing haikus. They're like a puzzle and a poem rolled up in one. Which words should I chose to convey my meaning while at the s...
13.7K 174 43
Drac and Y/n's first born Son died (Darell) he was killed by an unknown person covered with black clothes in the forest, Y/n was there, the Man with...